Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your Favorite Random Generators, Tables, etc.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I thought it might be useful and helpful to list some of the procedural tools I've come to rely on over the years. Also I'm curious to see what other people use for procedural generation of things like towns, cities, NPCs, rumors, physical descriptions, adventure hooks, etc.

Maybe these will be useful to people (or not)? Either way, post 'em if you got 'em.
Midkemia Press: (PDF and Application, Book OOP) Oldies but goodies like the Cities Book (originally published by Chaosium back in the 80s), and non-free Encounters tool are something I use all the time.
Tome of Adventure Design: (Book or PDF) Matt Finch the author of Swords & Wizardry created a great system-neutral book of tables that is indispensable for brainstorming adventures.
Raging Swan GM Essentials: (Book or PDF) Helps when you are fleshing out scenery, NPCs and Encounters. Other freebies on the website.
Mithril & Mages Generators (web): Mostly name generators and other stuff for old-school D&D and clones
Goodman Games - GM Gems, Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, 50 Fantastic Functions for the D50, Random Esoteric Creature Generator: (Book and PDF). Tables for custom monsters, treasures, encounters, pick-pocket results, traps, dungeon dressing, etc. Mostly system-neutral.

EDIT: Fixed a broken link.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
https://donjon.bin.sh - a shitload of web-based generators, mostly for various editions of D&D. I've used the fractal world generator, the name generator (I love this) and the dungeon generator. I think the treasure generator was decent too, but I prefer rolling actual dice for some reason.

agris

Arcane
Patron
grab your nuts and roll a d10000 because it's hackmaster 4e's critical hit table

vertical is the d10000 result, horizontal is the critical's base severity level (BSL). make sure to read about severity level and weapon types at the bottom.

7AmtuTW.jpg
for someone who knew fallout 1/2's critical system before playing this pnp, I was in love.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Tome of Adventure Design is insane, and I use it all the time to poke my brain when I get stuck writing an adventure. Sometimes it almost feels like too much of a good thing - there is a bigass table to roll up enough magical thrones to build The Dungeon of Thrones, and a smaller ones for unusual book bindings. You will never use all of the book, and it could probably be 50% slimmer... but it is such an idea mine that I don't mind it.

From the classics, the encounter system in the back of the 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide is a comprehensive whole that tells you more about AD&D's implied setting than a long-winded essay would do. Similarly, Judges Guild's Ready Ref Sheets is full of useful tables collected from their products - there is a great ruin generation table, the city encounter system from City State of the Invincible Overlord (including possible combinations like getting solicited for sex by a mind flayer, or spat upon by a minor god), and more.

And when it comes to short and sweet things, I call your attention to The Table of Despair, a modern classic. :D

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
As far as character creation and giving your creations, well, character you really can't find a better book than Central Casting: Heroes of Legend, Central Casting: Heroes Now!, Central Casting: Heroes for Tomorrow and even Central Casting: Dungeons for something different, depending on which setting you're using. It's all fluff and uses various dice for result rolls, mind you.

Remember, 4Shared is your friend.

hM6NRZJ.png

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
As far as character creation and giving your creations, well, character you really can't find a better book than Central Casting: Heroes of Legend, Central Casting: Heroes Now!, Central Casting: Heroes for Tomorrow and even Central Casting: Dungeons for something different, depending on which setting you're using. It's all fluff and uses various dice for result rolls, mind you.

Remember, 4Shared is your friend.

hM6NRZJ.png
I have the 1st edition of Central Casting: Heroes of Legend by Paul (Jennell) Jaquays in print and there is a pdf version floating around on the interwebz. It's a nice resource for developing characters with interesting backstories (for player characters or non-player characters).

That second edition retails for crazy prices on ebay; $200 plus seems to be the going rate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom