Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favourite NWN 2 companion and opinions on others

What is your favourite NWN 2 OC/MotB companion?

• Khelgar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neeshka

• Elanee

• Sand

• Grobnar

• Casavir

• Qara

• Bishop

• Shandra

• Zhjaeve

• Ammon

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • One of Many

• Kaelyn

• Gann

• Safiya

• Okku

• Total voters

Texas Red

Whiner
Khelgar - I reckon this character is supposed to be comic relief. There was the attempt of giving him depth through generic outcast tragedy story which failed because the silly side was overdone. He is fairly enjoyable but I think the comedy of him could have been toned down so as though make him at least a little believable. As it is, he is one of the best companions of the NWN 2 OC.

Neeshka - An extremely generic tiefling thief with nothing at all remarkable about her.

Elanee - Same as Neeshka, generic and not even worth mentioning. Plus she was a huge bitch with whom you could lose influence by picking responses that make the most sense. For example, telling Neeshka that you will help her against her enemies makes her angry even though she is neutral good. She is annoying as hell and the only thing I enjoyed about her was killing her.

Sand - A companion with a more realistic personality. He tries to be funny but unlike Khelgar the attempts are not as if though from a cartoon. He isn't a paragon of all that is either good or evil, but rather a more balanced good. If he would be the companion you get in the beginning, I believe the opinion of the game would be improved for everyone.

Grobnar - Another attempt at comic relief and simply a more extreme and cartoonish version of Jan from BG 2.

Casavir - An unbelievable paladin who does everything in the name of good. His mundane tale about how he came to fight orcs from Neverwinter is so typical and makes even Bioware forum women irritated.

Qara - A character that only utters a single phrase in some variety. One of the worse companions I have ever seen.

Shandra - I'm playing a fantasy game here. I don't want to travel around with someone who is not identifiable or remarkable in any way.

Zhjaeve - I felt like I was back in Morrowind where NPCs were walking wikipedias. She is exactly that, an information terminal with no personality.

Ammon - Another good companion of NWN 2. I dig the whole ambitious, do whatever it takes personality that borders on evil.

Kaelyn - She is an epitome of a celestial paladin/cleric but done in a good way. Whatever she says, it's always interesting because, unlike Casavir, her alien insight and planar backround are simply engrossing. I love it how she is all innocent and docile.

Gann - The story of Gann's mother and father is the most memorable part of MotB, for me. Being in that Coven, traveling through my own dreams and everything about that segment of the game is just wow. What I like about Gann is how he is a vain pretty boy douchebag but at the same time very knowledgeable and wise.

Safiya - Her story is of course nothing short of amazing but I felt that she is the weakest of all of MotB companions. She lacked a certain spark that would set her apart. Other than that I think it was well done how part of her was evil but not in the retarded, usual manner.

Okku - Another paladin type done well. He values law and tradition but doesn't suffer foolishness and weakness. Right after I got him to travel with me I wanted to know more about him because, cmon, he's a phantom bear god.

One of Many - This is why I play fantasy, so I can meet and converse with strange creatures. Everything about him is so twisted beyond imagination that he remains plain weird even in the high fantasy setting of FR. I loved the "WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU CREATED?!" reaction of other companions when you get him.

Solohk

Scholar
One of Many. Easily. Sure there's not a whole lot of depth here, but the idea and execution of this character was fantastic.

Honorable Mentions
Kaelyn. I found her really interesting. Nice fleshed out character with good motivation. I also enjoyed lying to her as One of Many cheered me on.

Gann. He seems to be a love him or hate him type character. I liked that gaining influence with him wasn't kissing ass like every other NPC in the history of influence systems. He also made a nice complement to my CN (later turned NE by the spirit eater curse) selfish asshole prick of a Rogue.

If I had to pick someon from the OC... hmmmm... Sand? He was amusing at least.

aleph

Arcane
Casavir - Wanted to kill this arrogant idiot guy right after I meet him.

Zhjaeve - I liked her mostly because she was a Githzerai.

Kaelyn - I felt sorry for her. She was full of good intentions but coupled with her naive innocence this is a recipe for disaster. (Note how almost all endings for her are bad endings.)

Bishop - Ruthless cynic, liked him a lot. A chaotic evil character who is not portrayed as being chaotic stupid, a pity he ended in the Wall. I am still angry that they did not include a romance option for him.

Amon Jerro - Another cool character. An evil wizard who has reason to strive for power beyond just because.

Grobnar - A horrible failed try to copy Jan from BG2. Obsidian should have included a mercy killing option for him.

Crawfish

Novice
Sand was my favorite of the OC NPCs. He wasn't a total pushover, yet he avoided going overboard in the other direction.

Neeshka, Bishop and Shandra were decent. They did a reasonable job of fulfilling their roles in the story and weren't annoying.

The rest of the OC NPCs weren't much to my liking.

The path that I took through MoTB didn't give me One of Many as a playable character, so I can't speak to him. Neither did Okku survive to join my party.

Gann was a solid character, with a cool storyline and contributions to several quests. It was a nice change of pace to have a character that you could actually banter with in a friendly way, without having to kiss their ass. I loved his dialogue for the first half of the game. He got way too sappy in my conversation trees toward the end of the game, but I still have a high opinion of the character based upon the earlier material.

I liked Kaelyn quite a bit. Unlike most people, I didn't care for her voice actress, but her position was nuanced and her backstory was rich. I ended up agreeing with her position throughout the story, so that may have contributed positively to my impression.

Warden

Arbiter
From the OC - Zhjaeve; I adored her transcendence, loyalty, her voice and special appearance. The best part with her was the statues area where she was falling in trans and multiple voices were coming out of her. :love:

MotB - probably Kaelyn; voice, appearance and beliefs.

Warden

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
One would think you'd like Gann, Warden.

Ehm, no, I like masculine gay men.

Gann was.. I don't know.. I expected he'd at least be openly gay. If he was, maybe he would have been less boring in my eyes.

Edit: I actually meant to say that I don't enjoy being around effeminate men who pretend to be straight.

And I didn't have One of many in my party so I don't know.. but I doubt he'd be my favourite since 2 goodies were my favourite chars. Not just because of their personality though - other things matter too you know; they must have an interesting appearance, voice ...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
In the OC, my favorite was Sand, though Grobnar did at least have some funny lines, witness his horror at hearing Ribsmasher's purpose in life.

In NX1, it is a tie between Kaelyn and One Of Many.

LastAngryBat

Novice
Safiya was easily my favorite in MotB. Her alignment actually felt right. She wasn't the typical whiny good character most neutral characters end up being.

I don't think I liked any of the characters in the OC.

Casavir gets a dishonourable mention for being the only game character I've ever fantasised about killing

racofer

Thread Incliner
The Camera is my most memorable "creature" from NWN2. It's so creepy, annoying... ever persistent on confusing the main character along the way, playing a whole at every encounter with enemies.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'd have liked Bishop's character a lot better if I weren't forced not to kill him. If I'm in a world of CRPG kneejerk deadly violence where the PC kills hundreds of human beings, never mind sapients in general, I require the ability to kill a guy who is being a dick.

Helton

Arcane
Sand and Grobnar were my favorites. Both made me laugh fairly often. I didn't mind Shandra, which I think is apart from the norm. The rest... Not so much. I only actively disliked Bishop, that I can remember. Most were just "meh."

The MotB companions are really an entirely different animal. I got Okku, not One-of-Many, so I can't comment there. They were all great. Gann I thought I would hate, another emo faggot, but he ended up being pretty cool. I was all gung-ho to tear the wall down with Kaelyn. That was my type of shit. Shame we didn't even have a chance -- horribly placed anti-climax.

Skankster

Novice
Bishop was definately my favourite character from the OC. It pissed me off when I realised I couldn't get him out of the wall though.

Pseudofool

Scholar
it's staggering when you line them all up how much better the MotB companions are. Just staggering.

fastpunk

Arbiter
The OC had plenty of companions and a few of them were quite good. I liked Ammon the most. Commanding an army of demons is a pretty good sign of a very strong will. The voice actor was pretty good too, among the best of the OC. Besides him, Sand and Khelgar were pleasant company too. I'm impartial to most of the rest, but some I really dislike (Neeshka, Qara and Grobnar).

Of course, the bunch from MotB were much better and I like pretty much all of them, including old father bear Okku. Kaelyn is really something, hard not to mention her among the best of the best of any game. I liked Gann too. Safyia was also interesting overall, specially considering her role in the story. I think you can travel with Araman for a while too, but I haven't had the opportunity... maybe in a future playthrough. Anyone got anything to say about him?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
A little derailment, sorry. I haven't finished either of the games yet. I'm at the second sets of orc caves in the OC (Seriously, does the game get more interesting soon, I'm pretty bored with it at the moment. Too generic and the main quest is all but forgotten. How hard can it be too get into a fucking burrough?). I've started up MotB instead and this game is so much better, with TB combat I'd probably be playing with a massive hard-on, but it's still very very good as it is now. Have just killed Okku and just released One of Many from the furnace, but haven't tried him in my party yet.

All the characters in MotB seem well done and interesting. Non-evil Red Wizard? A hagspawn Spirit Shaman? Half-celestial cleric? Different and pretty awesome. All the OC characters so far are pretty bland though.

I've already brought all my characters in MotB (Safiya, Gann and Kaelyn) to Loyal and I'm playing as a Lawful Neutral Monk (human). One-of-Many certainly sounds interesting to say the least, but will bringing him along fuck up my alignment and thus my monk?

Some other MotB questions, rather than starting a new thread.

Is there a point to multiclassing my monk? He's level 21 at the moment and I'm not sure if it's worth sacrificing epic feats just to get some other abilities. Shadowdancer seems pretty pointless since Hide in Plain Sight might be good, if you have a sneak attack that is, but getting some levels of Rogue just for that doesn't seem worth it. Or is it? What I'm thinking is getting some fighter levels for improved hitpoints and making him able to switch between fists of doom and dual-wielding kamas. Is that worthwhile, or should I just focus on kicking ass unarmed?

Mareus

Magister
I actually liked the generic characters of OC more than original and unique ones in MotB. They just seemed to grow on me, especially the comical bickerings betweeen Neshka, Khelgar and Quara. Sand's awesome display of sarcasm is still something that makes him my favorite character, and his voice fits him perfectly. Characters in MotB although much better designed and thought out just didn't seem so alive, and I was pretty pissed when I found out I won't be playing my adventure with my old "friends", or at least a few of them. MotB feels completely different from NWN2 OC, to the degree it doesn't even feel connected with the OC. I mean there are certain connections and stuff, but I expected more connections, like in Baldur's Gate.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Tie between Kaelyn and... Grobnar. Yes, that's right. I fucking loved that little fucker. Especially when paired up with other companions who doesn't like him, like Bishop and Khelgar and... pretty much anyone else. Yes, I'm easily amused. As for Kaelyn, well, she's just hot. Seriously hot. That's enough for me. Her face, her voice, her peronality. If Kaelyn walked by me and my girlfriend, I'd throw Miss Messiah at her and drag both home to my lovenest. My girlfriend already thinks I'm pathetic who plays FF7 for the sake of making fun of it on the internet, so I can survive saying I think a computer game character is fucking hot. All the voicework in MotB is awesome and so are the characters but Kaelyn is a step above the rest. My never humble opinion, of course.

No, but seriously, my favorites are One of Many and Okku.

edit:
Mareus said:
Sand's awesome display of sarcasm is still something that makes him my favorite character, and his voice fits him perfectly.
Also: this. I always took him with me when I played the OC.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Gann - nice touch in the Academy, with the mirrors: if you use Gann for the reflection, you can see what he really looks like

One of Many comes close.

From the OC, I would say Ammon Jerro.

Texas Red

Whiner
Andyman Messiah said:
Tie between Kaelyn and... Grobnar. Yes, that's right. I fucking loved that little fucker. Especially when paired up with other companions who doesn't like him, like Bishop and Khelgar and... pretty much anyone else. Yes, I'm easily amused. As for Kaelyn, well, she's just hot. Seriously hot. That's enough for me. Her face, her voice, her peronality. If Kaelyn walked by me and my girlfriend, I'd throw Miss Messiah at her and drag both home to my lovenest. My girlfriend already thinks I'm pathetic who plays FF7 for the sake of making fun of it on the internet, so I can survive saying I think a computer game character is fucking hot. All the voicework in MotB is awesome and so are the characters but Kaelyn is a step above the rest. My never humble opinion, of course.

Have you seen the size and pure perfection of those celestials? Do you honestly think you can compete with those angels Kaelyn hangs out with?

Korgan

Arbiter
Sand in the OC (he was nearly as good as the less awesome BG2 companions - certainly better than Cernd and Anomen) and Safiya in MOTB - smart, likeable and believable.

Micmu

Magister
Neeshka 4? Meh I found her (and elainee and khelghar and qara) as the most shitty characters. Truly Biowarian.
Anyway, my vote goes for One-of-Many (will have to try Gann in next replay though, ignoring his ridiculous emofag appearance...).
For OC, I'd choose Sand or maybe Ammon (liked his (for mages) atypical attitude, very straightforward and no mystic mumbo-jumbo). But I hated to take him as a "friend", after he slaughtered the whole village, but that's the massive problem with whole OC, forcing things on you too hard. Jay, another stereotypical dumb brawler dwarf and another stereotypical innocent hihihihi thiefling girl become my best friends!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom