Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your opinion on some missing mechanic (class and stats) in cyberpunk 2077

I dont want to kill your hype guys, but there are some major issue in role playing aspect other than voiced protagonist.
As the title said, apprantly cyberpunk 2077 will have less stats than what we get in CP2020 PnP RPG. There will be no Attractiveness, Body type, Movement Allowance, Luck, and hell even no Empathy stat! You know why especially the last stat is important, its basically deal with the core issue of the setting that is cyberpsychosis. It also deal with persuasive based skill, in essence its a version of charisma stat.

Move to the class, apparantly you could only play or gain three skill from each class (solo, netrunner, techie). Again i dont understand if we get a RPG with total customization of character and background yet why they scrap the other class. Especially with voiced protagonist, i have suspicion that character customization and roleplaying in this game will not be that open.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah that's my biggest issue so far. I was really looking forward to play as a Cop, Media or Corporate, because it's a very fresh concept in RPG. I'm pretty disappointed that they decided to go with the boring ass trio that we've seen in every single RPG ever but oh well. I'll still play it but I won't enjoy it as much as I could.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Honestly I didn't think for a moment that they'd have balls or resources to make game play for each class. They'd be like separate games, and wouldn't play into usual game play loop, talk, explore, combat, bit of netrunning, loot, sell and repeat etc.

Quillon

Arcane
However I thought it was infeasible I was expecting classes & fully custom character, name included but character customization will have to do. It could have been way more "pre-defined" so I'm ok with it and I don't know much about CP anyway, apart from skimming through the rulebook.

KK1001

Arbiter
Of all the big popamole AAA $50-80 million+ games, Cyberpunk will be the most RPG like. That's not saying much, but you have to calibrate your expectations towards what is realistically possible.

kalganoat

Savant
Did you honestly expect them to bring over everything from pnp untouched to an action RPG? How would that even work? They have to cut some stuff out to fit the design and budget. If it's too dumbed down Mike wouldn't allow it but he seems to be satisfied with the game .

KK1001

Arbiter
Yeah, I agree. The cynic in me also says that they're employing his whole family and probably paid a pretty penny to use the license, but I generally think he knows what is and isn't being faithful.

Did you honestly expect them to bring over everything from pnp untouched to an action RPG? How would that even work? They have to cut some stuff out to fit the design and budget. If it's too dumbed down Mike wouldn't allow it but he seems to be satisfied with the game .
I am not sure why CDPR have to cut stat like empathy and luck, It's just basically good ol charisma and luck stat to be honest. Empathy stat in cyberpunk 2020 is important aside being an attribute to govern persuasive skill, it also determined humanity cost to install cyberware. They said that cyberpsychosis would play a big part in the game since it was also a staple theme in the series, well..where's the biggest stat that affect it then? Class tbh is not that matter to much for me though still i do hope some of the class would make it way into dlc or expansion, but the loss of of half of stats form PnP rpg is the biggest disappointment for me. And i doubt CDPR will patch it into future update anytime soon.
And pray that winning argument in this game is not same like picking axii perk in witcher.

Isnt it too early to hype about nonexistent features of a game?
That honestly depend on when the game will be released, if its 2019 then i hope its still long enough to implement all base stat that should be in there. And it wont longer than that, since they stated that they wanted the release to be closer to fallout 4 style.

laclongquan

Arcane
Bitch please. For 6+ months of development they can totally present an alpha build different from all the features they display today.

Other than graphic, there's exactly nothing to get hyped about.

Thal

Augur
CDProject is a publically listed company. It was never going to be a hardcore rpg. They're going for the masses, and they will always go for the masses. This means eschewing mechanical complexity in favor of accessibility.

The best we can expect is a quality product, and which is actually setting the bar quite high. Accessibility means fewer stats and less thinking allover, but it doesn't have to mean a bad story, bad aesthethics, bad level design, bad quests or bad gameplay. The final three are probably the most important characteristics of a game of this type, and for all we know, they are still possible. Not saying they are likely though, esp. level design, but what I mean that the expectations should be calibrated accordingly.

ZeniBot

Cipher
CDProjekt has been deleting posts that call Mike Pondsmith out for lying, they're trying to cover it up. He lied about the classes we were getting in the game.

Like OP I am very concerned about the missing skills and classes as well as how the lead devs have been shifty when it came to talking about the class system. I mean it doesn't effect me since I'm playing Netrunner anyway. But I would've been happy to play Rocker. The fact that Rocker is missing is a bit shit because it does impact on the games replayability in a big way.

CDProjekt are no Troika that's for sure. Vampire really nailed the classes. I was sort of hoping we'd see something more vampire like but unfortunately that is not the case, this is more Deus Ex.. I'm cool with that. But would their community managers stop being such fuck witts.

ZeniBot

Cipher
L8keZEm.png

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Pondsmith has no experience on video games. Anyone who thought that CDPR would release six-games-in-one with CP2077 is a moron. Corp and Media especially are a completely different ballgame than anything else. Nomad, rockerboy and cop also, to a lesser extent. Fixer being out is kind of a bummer, that should have been able to be shoehorned in as the talky option alongside Solo (violence), Techie (gadgets) and Netrunner (hacking).

Empathy will surely be built into the game in some way. They most likely won't allow you to become a cyberpsycho, because even on T&T that basically meant that your character became a GM NPC. So there will be limitation on how much and how far you can augment yourself. The charisma parts of Empathy will be handled by Cool just as well. The other things are secondary attributes that are meaningless in a real-time first-person game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom