Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your personal top ten

MilesBeyond

Cipher
I kinda expected there to be like ten million threads like these but I couldn't see any that were recent so whatever.

What are your top ten video games? I'm talking desert island games, the ones that you would never want to be without, the ones that you're first to install on any new computer you get. Bonus points if you post pictures from the games and include a description of why it's your favourite.

RULES:

1. To keep the lists reasonable diverse, Codex's top 5 games are forbidden. No mentioning Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 or 2, Baldur's Gate 2, or Arcanum. For me, half the point of these lists is to introduce people to games that are new or that they might have overlooked. Hearing everyone jerk off to the same games is boring. They're awesome games, everyone already knows they're awesome, move along, nothing to see here.

2. Top ten is a guideline. You can do top 5, top 20, hell, top 50 if you've got a lot of time on your hands. Whatever.

3. All genres are permissible. This includes console games. I'm probably going to regret this rule but whatever.

4. Your ironic list probably isn't funny. I know "My top three are Ultima 9, Might and Magic 9, and Oblivion" seems clever and witty, but it really isn't.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mount & Blade Warband - I was blown away by my first city battle and still love them to death. Game never gets old

Fallout: New Vegas -
Played every ending a few years ago and still feel like I could get a couple of hundred hours out of it

Dark Souls
- Never get tirend of the combat-feel and trying new builds

Dragon Quest 8 -
Never did the post-game stuff and still played it for dozens of hours

Civilization 5 - My first Civ game. Like 100 hours in I'm still curious about what I can make work for victories

Need for Speed Underground 2
- My favourite drive handling and the customization was fun as fuck

FTL
- Just the perfect way to spend an hour or two hoping for the best

Space Marine -
My favourite TPS, I still love doing the horde mode to this day. I also love the setting and was surprised by how well the game nailed it

FEAR
- The penetrator is my favourite weapon from any game

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
1. Civilization V (the one game I keep playing for some reason)

2. Might & Magic X (best blobber of the last 10 years, though not really replayable)

3. Lords of Xulima (second best blobber of the last 10 years)

4. Wizardry 7 (haven't replayed in a while and waiting for Grimoire to scratch that itch)

5. Dark Spire (Nintendo DS, classic Wizardry-style blobber)

6. Wasteland 2 (one of the few games I really enjoyed recently and played to the end)

7. Age of Decadence (really gud)

8. FTL (best rogue-like in my opinion)

9. NEO Scavenger (fun for a while)

10. Sim City 2000 (when I'm in that mood, every couple of years)

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is Besame Mucho another blue dog shitposter alt?
Anyways, in no particular order:

-Civilization 4 BTS
-Master of Orion 2
-Might and Magic 2 & 6
-Realms of Arkania trilogy
-Unreal Tournament '99
-Morrowind
-Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Now for some console decline:

-Terranigma
-Super Metroid
-A Link To The Past

octavius

Arcane
Patron
To me the ultimate "desert island game" would be Master of Orion, since it's endlessly replayable, is not dependent on user made content, and unlike the Civ games has a competent AI.

Also one of the rogue-likes - Nethack, ADOM or Zangband, games I never have time and patience to play otherwise.

BTW, you should change subject line to match the message better.

Nuclear Explosion

Final Fantasy Tactics
Dishonored
Silent Hill
Crash Bandicoot 3
Max Payne
Dark Souls 2
Super Metroid
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Hitman: Blood Money
System Shock

Severian Silk

In roughly the correct order.

1. Fallout
2. Homeworld
3. Jagged Alliance 2
4. ToEE
5. IWar 2
6. Final Fantasy 6
7. LoZ: OoT
8. Gothic 1 & 2
9. System Shock 1
10. Prelude to Darkness
n+1. X-Wing Alliance or Freespace or WipEout or SimCity 2000

Last edited by a moderator:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Excluding RPGs:

1. Dark Souls
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Metal Gear Solid (1 & 3)
4. Loom
5. Journey
6. Football Manager Series
7. Portal (1 & 2)
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Bloodborne
10. Inside
11. TV Sports Basketball
12. Papers, Please
13. Top Spin 4
14. The Binding of Isaac
15. Limbo

nomask7

Arcane
1) Warhammer: Dark Omen

Real-time war tactics without base-building or skirmish mode. The campaign is a stress test of your skills; lose too many troops along the way to the last level and you will lose the last battle regardless of what you do. Great soundtrack and feel. Playing it feels like you're experiencing a great work of art.

2) Gothic 2 Gold

Open-world game from a time when that didn't necessarily mean "hiking sim". Great cast of monsters, just very memorable, like the game world itself.

3) Dark Souls II (the original, not the scam that is SotFS; preferably with Company of Champions difficulty and SP/offline mode)

Tight action RPG gameplay and memorable, at times great, levels. Good immersion (not fake cinematic "immersion", but the real deal). As I reflect back on this game and the other games in the series, this one stands out for having the highest memorable/annoying ratio.

3) Bloodborne

You don't easily run out of challenges in this game: FROM added tons of optional dungeon-crawling content to their usual Souls formula, and I think it works pretty well. Good atmosphere too. Horror and action don't usually go well together, but I think FROM manages solidly.

4) TES: Arena

Great real-time dungeon-crawling. They don't make games like this anymore.

5) Sword of Ahkranox

A simple but elegant turn-based first-person roguelike-inspired dungeon-crawler (perma death optional). I can't wait for this game to become feature complete. I love how you can barely see in dungeons even with a torch, and how almost every step feels momentous, partly because you're forever running out of torches so you need to explore intelligently (sometimes best done in complete darkness), and you also have to keep an eye on your gems that warn you about hazards. You have three gems in the UI that notify you of the proximity of three different things: traps (which you can search for by clicking on the ground), monsters, secrets. Very good atmosphere for a turn-based game. The dungeons are procedurally generated, but so far seem nicely shaped and not too large or too complex. I haven't found any bizarre messes like the first dungeon of Elminage Gothic.

6) Ultimate Doom (with Playstation version soundtrack)

Nice atmosphere. There were two ways the history of FPS could have gone from here, up or down, and it went down.

7) Wazhack

Honestly, some famous roguelikes just aren't very good perma-death games. I would never dream of playing TOME4 over and over again from the beginning. Wazhack is different. It's good at taking the things that makes roguelikes interesting and removing the things that make them dislikeable, while adding a good graphical interface, nice soundtrack, and online ladder.

8) ADOM

A rogue-like with genuine inventiveness and imagination in its world design. Charming game. I haven't even seen most of the content, but just the content I've seen makes this a favorite.

9) Geneforge 5

Isometric RPG with factions and choices, nice setting, nice feel, nice writing, turn-based combat that doesn't take a lot of time (this game isn't very combat focused, so look elsewhere for that). I haven't been impressed with turn-based or RTwP combat in RPGs for ages and am no longer interested in such games, so I'm not easily triggered by whatever failings others seem to perceive in this game in that regard. Again, if you are, look elsewhere.

10) Din's Curse (monsters set to tougher but fewer, maybe a few levels above you depending; timed quests, normal pace)

Some context: I've been looking for a Diablo-clone that I'd want to spend A LOT of time with, but finding one has turned out to be difficult. Path of Exile felt promising, but the early-game in Path of Exile current version is disgustingly easy. Some claim it never becomes harder for long. Diablo 3 end-game is rather interesting, but the game is ultimately too fast paced, lacking the kind of atmosphere and feel that I enjoy in such games. I won't go into everything I've tried, some of which show promise, but Din's Curse, while it may not be something I want to play tons, currently has a kind of feel and design that please me the most. Worth checking it out properly. The first time I tried it, it didn't click for me, but afterwards I got into it right away (might have had something to do with my initial settings).

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
1. Descent 2
2. Blood
3. Ketsui: Kizunajigokutachi
4. FEAR
5. Thief 2
6. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
7. Marathon 2: Durandal
8. EYE: Divine Cybermancy
9. Gigantic Army
10. ALLTYNEX Second

laclongquan

Arcane
Is this that time of the year again? Fine, I'll play~
In no particular order, although come with number of replay.

1. Fallout 2: This game is currently no longer in replay pool because fuck me I remember it too bloody clearly from too many replay.
2. Fallout Tactics: Ditto. I even do recruit faq for it. Although, the memory fade somewhat. Perhaps next year I will replay with mods that change the default setting of recruit pools. The combat maps can not be helped.
3. Fallout New Vegas. Ditto. But perhaps next year.
4. Vampire Bloodlines. Just finish two runs earlier 2016. That should be enough for ever because fuck me I remember everything and I do every run save the ugly races.
5. Neverwinter Night 2. OC is replayed too many times (yet not finished). I might have to install the MOTB to finish it, or SOZ to replay. Maybe. With the modules, I just finish top 4 mods, and dont care enough for more. I repeat, the Keep subquest is worthy.
6. Jagged Alliance 2. see 1.
7. Silent Storm, Silent STorm sentinels, and Hammer Sickle. See 1.
8. Prince of Qin. Have played it 7 times for 7 ending. see 1
9. Alpha centaury. Yearly baby~
10. Planescape Torment. See 1.

There's more but I dont have time right now~

Dux

Arcane
I was about to post something snarky and redundant about the validity of this thread but I forgot what it was. :(

1. Lemmings
2. Lemmings 2
3. Pirates! Gold on the Amiga CD32
4. ?
5. Cannon Fodder on the Amiga CD32

Not necessarily in that order.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom