Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your preferred music format(s)?

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by Carrion, Apr 26, 2012.

?

In what form do you like your music?

1. CD

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Vinyl

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Cassette

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. mp3 and/or other non-physical formats

32 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Radio

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Only live music

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Some other option that wasn't included here

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. piydek Arbiter

piydek
    Click here and disable ads!
    Vinyl is the only format i buy music in. For the rest, pirated FLACs/mp3s. I buy what i like on vinyl when i have money. CDs are a complete waste of money and will soon be a completely obsolete format anyway.
    ^ Top  
  2. sea Prestigious Gentleman I support InXile

sea
    CD or DVD audio for physical media (unless the DVD is just faked upscaled CD audio, which is more common than you'd think), and FLAC for lossless compression. That said, all the CDs I buy, I just rip and let them sit on a shelf somewhere.

I used MP3 for years but recently I've switched to AAC for my lossy compression because I find it is much, much more transparent, especially in the high end - even at fairly high bitrates MP3s tend to completely ruin the upper frequencies and cut a lot of the "air" out of recordings, especially dense ones. Still have most of my downloaded music in MP3 because that's what everyone else uses of course.
    ^ Top  
  3. mondblut Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

mondblut
    I want my music one click away. If I have to get up and walk to the shelf after it, I might change my mind on the way. Usability and efficiency trump over pretentious bullshit.

Still order or trade for rare tapes though, to rip them into mp3 then put them on a shelf to collect dust to the end of times.
    ^ Top  
  4. Gnidrologist Arcane

Gnidrologist
    Have any of you vinyl aspies ever made a blind listening comparison if you even are competent enough to detect the difference between vax and cd? Heck, have you even made an effort to check if your hearing is sharp enough to discern flac from mp3 in 320 or V0 bitrate, let alone flac and cd/vinyl.

I fully understand the sentimental and aesthetic urge to poses vinyl discs and have you put them in your lamp amplifier powered gramophone and would probably be sucker for such hobby if i could afford it myself, but the audiophile argument seems falsly pretentious unless confirmed by hard evidences.
    ^ Top  
  5. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite

The improvement is far from marginal, it just depends on your equipment. I currently use a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 headphones with a Yulong D100 DAC/Amp combo, and the difference is already quite evident, even though we are talking about 700$ worth of equipment, tops.

As for which type of format i use, i rely exclusively on digital files. I've long since converted my collection into digital tracks, always using FLAC if possible, and so far i managed to almost fill a 2TB hard drive with classical music alone, and another 1TB with Jazz, Rock and everything else. So that's nearly 3TB of music in digital format. A lot of it i collected for research purposes though, and i might eventually get rid it, which would free upwards to 300GB between the two drives, if not more.

I haven't used a CD in almost five years.
    ^ Top  
  6. Anselmus Arcane

Anselmus
    The main reason to buy vinyl is because they just crank the shit out of the music on most CDs made these days. You can compare the waveforms of a vinyl and CD version of an album and easily see the difference, it's pretty much a square wave on the CD mastering. The actual difference between FLAC and vinyl is minimal, and in fact the vinyl will have a bit of external influence on the album, which you may or may not like. It's a couple extra bucks and'll be passed on to your kids.
    ^ Top  
  7. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Yeah. But you can't hold FLAC in your hands. You can't take the jacket out of the plastic, pull the record out of the sleeve, feel the weight of it, admire the (possible?) color/mix job, put it on the turntable, lift the arm, set the stylus down, hear the crackle and finally the engagement of the first note...

Ahhh.
    ^ Top  
  8. mondblut Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

mondblut
    What's more important, at what stage does the "rubbing yourself" part you have shyly omitted come in?

Are you kidding? Even a deaf man could hear the cracks and hiss the vinylfags call "rich and warm". :smug:
    ^ Top  
  9. sea Prestigious Gentleman I support InXile

sea
    If we're talking about technical factors, people like vinyl for the experience it provides, not for better sound quality. CD audio and DVD audio are generally much more accurate and have much more headroom as far as reproduction goes - but whether or not that is "better" is entirely subjective and not really worth bitching about in my opinion. People also listen to music on vastly different equipment, in different situations, and EQ and tweak it as well - somehow I think that has a far greater impact on the listening experience than the base format does, so if you want to complain, complain about the idiots butchering their recording by using the "stadium" EQ and reverb presets in their music player. Even so, whatever sounds best to you sounds best to you, and I think that should be the end of it.

As for vinyl and mastering: there really is nothing preventing bad mastering on a record, other than perhaps the mastering was done by a different person or to different standards. Some might sound better but there is certainly no guarantee.
    ^ Top  
  10. Secretninja Liturgist

Secretninja
    FLAC for listening to, vinyl for buying and putting on a shelf and being all monocle about.
    ^ Top  
  11. Gnidrologist Arcane

Gnidrologist
    What i was asking is if any of you have actually tested yourselves if this ''crank the shit'' stuff is actually detectable by your own ears, not highly precise equipment that is built to measure these differences from the scientific point of view.
    That i already accepted as valid point. My interest in is purely sound related. Do you feel the difference between various media and formats when blind comparison (given that you have ever actually done that)?
    ^ Top  
  12. The man who wasn't there Educated

The man who wasn't there
    The "crank the shit stuff" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war) is most definitely detectable: When I bought RHCP's Californication, it sounded so horrible that I first thought the CD was faulty, only after googling did I found out that this was intended... To this day I can't listen to the album using good equipment (especially good headphones) due to all the distortion. The same happened with Dinosaur Jr.'s Farm, the difference being that in this case it was not intended and thankfully the first production run was recalled (http://mastering-media.blogspot.de/2009/07/dinosaur-jr-mastering-fault-cd-is.html).

Of course you can't blame the CD for sound engineers not doing their job right...
    ^ Top  
  13. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Please. You act as if there's a stage where "rubbing myself" isn't included.
    ^ Top  
  14. sea Prestigious Gentleman I support InXile

sea
    I haven't done an ABX, but in any case, it depends on a lot of factors. If a record player is in very good repair and the needle is high-quality and fresh, I might not be able to. Usually vinyl is known for hisses, pops, a slight muddiness all around and a bit of a midrange hump, but it's really hard to say because that could also be the mixing and mastering at work (which is often different between CD and vinyl). Moreover, I wouldn't be surprised if the specific amp you use is tuned to one or the other and could accentuate or reduce the differences depending on its construction and purpose.

So in short, no, I can't say off-hand that I'd be able to tell the difference 100%. I suspect I could, but as to which is which - it'd have to be a song I'm very familiar with, on speakers I'm familiar with, etc.

One thing, however, is that vinyl is not as reliable. There is more harmonic distortion on vinyl, the equipment can get worn out, and because of the way the needle will dig away at the record itself, you will never actually get the exact same playback twice. That may not matter to you at all, but for archival purposes at least, digital audio is generally better.
    ^ Top  
  15. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    What is clearly hearable is difference between an original pressing of a LP, and the remastered CD version of same record. Also different vinyl pressings of the same record will inevitably sound slightly different if an analog source is used.

If you make both formats today, there isn't really much difference when you first record the music into a digital media, then convert it to analogue when making the vinyl. Of course it's possible to use analog recording equipment today too, just not very common.
    ^ Top  
  16. Secretninja Liturgist

Secretninja
    ftfy

Grimey records and people using el cheapo ceramic needles are 99% of why people think all vinyl is hissy and pops.
    ^ Top  
  17. Bladderwrack Learned

Bladderwrack
    Most modern vinyl (especially in the metal scene) is manufactured using the same master as the CD, so in most cases the LP will sound exactly the same.
    ^ Top  
  18. piydek Arbiter

piydek
    How can one be so :rpgcodex: when it comes to games, and such a complete ADHD retard when it comes to music?
    ^ Top  
  19. piydek Arbiter

piydek
    On anything that's close to respectable hi-fi system, the difference between a vinyl that's been recorded to tape and hasn't been digitally (re)mastered and a CD is so huge, you don't even have to try to hear the difference. It's blatantly obvious. It's that way even with vinyl that's not AAA, but transferred to vinyl from 24bit/192kHz digital recording as well.

Plus, vinyl is fetish as well. It's not only about audio quality.
    ^ Top  
  20. piydek Arbiter

piydek
    No. The difference between FLAC that's been made from redbook digital (16bit/44.1kHz - CD) and vinyl that's been made purely analogue or from high definition digital recording is huge.
    ^ Top  
  21. Gnidrologist Arcane

Gnidrologist
    So basically you need to own HI-FI system worth of at least 10k or more to appreciate the superiority of vinyl. Wonder how many people here on Codex actually do have sufficient financial resources for that.
    ^ Top  
  22. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Well, if you listen to shitty music, and that is the case with 99% of Codexers, i doubt you are likely to be able to pick up the difference one way or another.
    ^ Top  
  23. piydek Arbiter

piydek
    No, quite a bit less is enough to hear the clear difference. Not cheap though. But the better the equipment, the more difference you hear.

No matter if it's classical or the shittiest recorded punk, the difference is there just the same. The benefit of hi-fi system is not to make the music sound good, it's the ability to make the recording sound true to itself.
    ^ Top  
  24. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Live music. Fuck you RIAA. [/edgy]
    ^ Top  
  25. Gnidrologist Arcane

Gnidrologist
    Didn't know Beethoven is shitty music. Updates LS.txt.:smug:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)