Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Arthandas

Liturgist
He's literally unbeatable on nightmare. I'm doing only chip damage and even if I was invulnerable, there are only so many tiles he can destroy...
I'll need to google fu this shit tomorrow, maybe I'm missing an item or something.

pippin

The bat boss on Ys 1 was a fucking asshole. I had to use the time ring (slow enemies down) and it became bearable. Still, fuck him.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
You have to equip some blue amulet and some other thing in order to not get instantly killed and do some damage to him. Forgot what they were but you can google it.

That wasn't hyperbole when I said it took me two hours, and in the end it is mainly just dumb luck.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
OH! Yeah dude, hint - remember the guy's weakness is... I'm pretty sure it's mentioned somewhere.

Jinn

Arcane
Still an annoyingly difficult fight. My least favorite part of YS I.

RuySan

Augur
I really loved Felghana, but playing Origins feels like a chore. I think it's the setting and scenarios. There not enough variation in the tower.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really loved Felghana, but playing Origins feels like a chore. I think it's the setting and scenarios. There not enough variation in the tower.
I had no idea about the series when I bought Origins.

Ended up buying all other games:lol:

Arthandas

Liturgist
The bat boss on Ys 1 was a fucking asshole. I had to use the time ring (slow enemies down) and it became bearable. Still, fuck him.
Nice try! Rings and items don't work in boss rooms. Guys we have a spy here!

You have to equip some blue amulet and some other thing in order to not get instantly killed and do some damage to him. Forgot what they were but you can google it.
Yeah, you need to downgrade to silver gear. It's bullshit since Reah tells you his cape is made from some enchanted metal I forgot the name of and you need to use the same material to defeat him, from her description it doesn't seem like silver at all. Especially when she could just tell you to use silver instead of describing some mysterious metal.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
But to be fair, they DID talk about how the silver from the silver mine is actually that "mysterious metal".

Arthandas

Liturgist
JESUS CHRIST WHY IS THE LAST BOSS A FUCKING SCREENSAVER!?

kil me plz
ys1plus_2017_02_23_13_46_59_88.png

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Nice try! Rings and items don't work in boss rooms. Guys we have a spy here!

To be fair I didn't realize that rings do not work on bosses until the second last boss in Ys I. I found out items didn't work when I got to the bat boss and attempted to get in my inventory.

JESUS CHRIST WHY IS THE LAST BOSS A FUCKING SCREENSAVER!?

Just looking at the screenshot is reminding me of all the frustration I had fighting that asshole. I wanted to throw my controller across the room and punch a hole in the wall.

You can do it though. Don't give up.

And then after Ys I's cheap ass bullshit, Ys II on Nightmare comes across as easy.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Just looking at the screenshot is reminding me of all the frustration I had fighting that asshole. I wanted to throw my controller across the room and punch a hole in the wall.

You can do it though. Don't give up.
I killed him already. Took me more than 50 tries. Thankfully the fight lasts like 30-45s so you can die-repeat-die like in Super Meat Boy. Despite the cheap bullshit I can't deny it was probably the hardest motherfucking boss I've fought.

Currently I'm past the first boss of Ys II. I was curious about gifting so I gave some apples to one of the hotties and now I'm caught in a loop of farming apples/flowers and gifting every single npc :negative:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
You want them to like you, right? Keep farming, brave farmGO FUCKING KILL DEMONS YOU DOPE

(Also congrats on beating Dark Fucked!)

Arthandas

Liturgist
THOSE LYING FUCKING WHORES!
ys2plus_2017_02_26_17_02_44_49.png
I ran through Burnedbless FIVE FUCKING TIMES! I've searched every fucking room, talked to every fucking demon! All because I was sure I missed the fifth magic spell because those sluts told me I should find it here but apparently it's it the
Solomon Temple
where I just found it...

Also, Ys II is fucking awesome.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Yeah, you need to downgrade to silver gear. It's bullshit since Reah tells you his cape is made from some enchanted metal I forgot the name of and you need to use the same material to defeat him, from her description it doesn't seem like silver at all. Especially when she could just tell you to use silver instead of describing some mysterious metal.

But to be fair, they DID talk about how the silver from the silver mine is actually that "mysterious metal".

I'm pretty sure everyone except Reah referred to silver as "silver".
Well, you were right.
ys2plus_2017_02_26_19_16_27_23.png

Arthandas

Liturgist
Me after launching Ys III on turbografx:
Untitled_2.png

Are menus in English in the Japanese version?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Play Oath in Felghana , dopey! It's a remake of Ys 3 , and it beats it in every possible way. Side scrolling Ys was awful.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Liturgist
Play Oath in Felghana , dopey! It's a remake of Ys 3 , and it beats it any every possible way. Side scrolling Ys was awful.
If I wanted to play Felghana I would play Felghana... I will get to it eventually.

Original Wanderers from Ys is a piece of Ys history and I want to experience it. The fact it's a sidescroller doesn't bother me at all. What actually bothers me is the experience ruining voice acting, mistakes in the intro and 10fps parallax scrolling... The CD soundtrack is the only thing that stops me from playing the superior Genesis version. Also, Japanese version doesn't have English menus :(

Last edited:

Arthandas

Liturgist
Does any of you have save from Burnedbless before saving Tarf?
EDIT: got it

Last edited:

Arthandas

Liturgist
Are there any funny easter eggs in Napishtim? There were tons of them in Chronicles, but I didn't encounter a single one in Ys VI.

RuySan

Augur
Done with Origin. It's definitely inferior to Felghana overall, but the music is even more over the top awesome cheesiness. How does it compares to Ys VI?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Basically, Falcom likes to make sprouced up versions of their OSTs and sell 'em seperately. It sometimes isn't that much of an upgrade, but in Origin's case it definitely is IMHO.

Less synthy, more guitar. Sounds more like Oath in Felghana's soundtrack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom