Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

...aaaand done. What a short game.

Pretty fun, although it's irritating to be max level before even entering the final dungeon. Also had shitty backtracking. I like though how you need to use the silver gear instead of the highest level equipment to beat the end boss. Tricky.
Did you play the recent remake or one of the early versions?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
...aaaand done. What a short game.

Pretty fun, although it's irritating to be max level before even entering the final dungeon. Also had shitty backtracking. I like though how you need to use the silver gear instead of the highest level equipment to beat the end boss. Tricky.
Did you play the recent remake or one of the early versions?

Ys Chronicles

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Ys II > Ys I

The world and level design is better. I also like how they stretched the level progression out so you're not max level before the final dungeon.

The puzzles can fuck right off though. How I am supposed to figure out some of this crap is beyond me. How was I supposed to know to ring the Evil bell while wearing the earrings to bring out the Roos?

I figured you needed to use the earrings to get Tarf out of the crack in the wall. But I kept pressing the button to use them when you actually needed to equip them and then nudge up against the wall. *grumble grumble* The game can't decide if some of it's puzzle keys are auto-use or have to be triggered manually. Be more consistent!

Although it's pretty funny that every enemy in the game has a unique name and dialogue. Kinda makes me feel bad when Adol buzzsaws them into chunks.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
lulz

p6z0T8n.jpg

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
And done with Ys 2. Fun way to spend staying home with the flu.

Now might as well play Oath in Felghana. I recall getting to the end of this game a loooong time ago only to be unable to beat the final boss. Maybe I should play on easy mode.

Oh I remember now, it was the awkwardness of jumping and firing magic that I sucked at. Maybe I can rebind the controls via DS4 and make it better.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I remember it gave a problem to me as well.
Brotip: Put a magic button on one of the shoulder buttons. This way, you can move around and jump easily, while charging your magic attacks.

And be a man, play it on Nightmare!

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
lol 2 things you never do on the codex are complain about difficulty or graphics. I like a challenge but with a smooth difficulty curve!

It's fine. I'm getting far on Normal so I'll stick with it. Remapping the buttons has helped a ton. I don't know why, with all the other XSeed Falcom games they detect my PS4 controller and it works fine but this game doesn't, I have to use the DS4 Xbox controller emulator. The config tool in the game directory hangs too and doesn't do anything.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well okay, I'll be honest, my first time was on Hard :oops:

Just know that each difficulty level unlocks crazier boss patterns, and on Nightmare it all culminated in such a thrilling final boss fight that it felt like my heart was gonna burst outta my chest.

One of the best vidya highs I've ever experienced, no joke.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Well okay, I'll be honest, my first time was on Hard :oops:

Just know that each difficulty level unlocks crazier boss patterns, and on Nightmare it all culminated with such a thrilling boss fight that it felt like my heart was gonna burst outta my chest.

One of the best vidya highs I've ever experienced, no joke.

That's cool, you'd think it would only affect health/damage levels.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Good luck! The unlockable character is the most fun to play in the game, and he also offers some cool extra bosses to fight!

I'm playing the axe chick. So far it's been easier than Oath but I'm only just after fighting Epona. She was certainly no Chester.
Good 'ol Yunica, the cutest, most adorable axe murdering psycho there is, who splatters blood and guts all over the walls and floors, and leaves bloodied footprints in her wake. :love:

spekkio

Arcane
Happened to me when playing Ys6. Currently around last floor of Ys - Origin, so I guess I should look forward to another crash.

:negative:

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So is Ys8 playable yet? Steam reviews seem to indicate the game itself is quite good and the crashes and such have been dealt with. Anybody played through it on PC yet?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
What: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ni...localization-translation-issues-day-one-patch

Ys 8's Localization Still a Mess on Switch, NIS America Planning Multiple Launch Day Patches

Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana is finally coming out for the Nintendo Switch on June 26, but early reviews seem to say that the Switch version has many of the translation and localization errors that plagued nearly every other version of Ys 8. However, NIS America says it is aware of these issues and are planning three launch day patches that will fix the known localization errors among others.

Various early reviews of Ys 8 for the Switch highlighted noticeable localization errors in their Switch review copies. GameXplain showed off some of the more egregious errors in their video review which included repeated lines of text, poorly translated lines, and even lines that went completely untranslated. You can see these examples in their video here where the errors begin around the 6:45 mark.

On a ResetEra thread dedicated to discussing these errors on the Switch version, a verified NIS America representative made a statement saying that NIS America is aware of these known issues and that the company has three Launch Day patches planned to address them. "These patches address these text issues as well as other issues," said NIS America. "Unfortunately, the patches were not available at the time the review codes were sent out and thus all previews reflect the game in its unpatched state."

We emailed NIS America about this statement and another representative confirmed that this is the case, and that the three planned Launch Day patches will address the localization and translation errors found in Switch review copies.

Ys 8 has had a history of mistranslations and errors, unfortunately. The original PS4 and PS Vita versions of the game that came out in North America back in September 2017 also shipped with numerous mistranslations and localization errors.

It was to the point that NIS America publicly apologized for the errors and got to work on a complete re-localization of the game, which was patched in earlier this year. The PC version of Ys 8 shipped with the re-done localization earlier this year. Now the Switch version is suffering a similar issue, but maybe these planned patches will fix the issues for consumers who purchase the game day one.

Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana is the latest in the long-running action JRPG Ys series by Falcom. The series stars hero Adol Christin as he goes off on a new adventure each game. Ys 8 is no different and we found Adol's latest adventure to be a perfect starting point for new fans, and another great Ys outing for veterans. Translation and localization issue notwithstanding.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Jebus, the japanese gayfication is really complete with Dana is it

maxresdefault.jpg

images

sub02.jpg

Shouldn't Adol be like 40 year old man now

And preferably married to best goddess I gave flowers in Ys 2 who winked at me

They're not even all bad in opening cinematic, but in game.... :deathclaw:

But it feels fun anyway. Combat is fun.
Music is, as always, outstanding

Waifus are fun I guess :shitposting:
Monsters or hard+ difficulty remove 30-50% of hp bar if you fuck up

Also Adol makes some weird half assed noises when I pick lines which is terrible, he must be silent.

ys8_2018-06-21_15-51-01-98.png

Poor slutty waifu, feels left out. :positive:Sorry, I'm saving myself for Feena when I die and go to haven :shittydog:

NNNNnnooooooooooooooooooooo!!111

lol open world
lol fast travel
lol bring 12 wood and 10 shit

uggggh. that's what I liked about Ys, there wasn't anything of this. or at least it was just some optional junk. well, Origin definitely didn't have any of this, okay.

"dogi approval increased"
what approval?? it's DOGI, we were together for ages!! GAME FFS

captain makes beds to sleep
dogi makes food to eat
Laxia demands curtains for personal safe space.

Laxia is hilarious, any time Adol speaks it's like she barely can stay in her pants.

Even this kiddy looking handheld jrpgs have resource management, no health regen in dungeons, status attacks and heals and bosses that are all gigantic paintrains shooting poison and turning invisible. Where did we go rong pc master race, where :deadhorse:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom