Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Glad you enjoyed 'em! What difficulty did you play on?

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Really...normal is hard enough for me. 99% of my games are turn based, so it speaks for Falcom, I'm not giving up after dying 6 or 7 times. I'm old and some boss encounters made my heart race like mad. So playing on hard or nightmare I might end up killing myself.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I love Ark too, however objectively inferior it may be to Origin and Oath. Ys7 is very different gameplay-wise. So are Ys1 & 2. Still, I had a lot of fun with them.

What character did you play in Origin? It's really worth it to complete the game with either all three or at least the third character that unlocks after you've beaten the game once. Maybe on a harder difficulty level if you can handle it.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Worked my ass off to get to the true final boss in Origin with Toal on Nightmare, only for the game to crash as I defeated the final boss before I could fight the true one.
MUTLIPLE TIMES.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
What character did you play in Origin?

After coming from Ark and Oath, I figured Hugo will provide a different enough experience. I do plan on replaying it with Toal, but not before I have finished Xanadu Next, Memories Of Celceta and Trails In The Sky.

The Ark engine games let me configure the mouse in a way I can walk with LMB and to hit with RMB. I don't think Ys I+II let me walk with the mouse, so I'm not sure if I'm going to play them.

Durandal: Ouch.That's downright vicious. MULTIPLE TIMES ? You like it rough.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Really...normal is hard enough for me. 99% of my games are turn based, so it speaks for Falcom, I'm not giving up after dying 6 or 7 times. I'm old and some boss encounters made my heart race like mad. So playing on hard or nightmare I might end up killing myself.
Alright, no harm in admitting that.
But, just keep in your mind that Hard and Nightmare each unlock extra boss attack patterns, and make enemies more aggressive.
It makes the game MUCH more fun. If you have an Ys-itch sometime, I urge you to replay the game on these modes.

Playing (and beating) Oath on Nightmare was one of the greatest gaming expereinces I ever had.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On the flipside, playing nightmare in Ys 1 is a testament to pure masochism and the final boss is almost practically based on luck. Ys 2 is easier because of magic.

I'll have you know I did git gud and beat it.
On hard :oops:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Ah, I have to agree with Siveon on that. Ys 1-2's combat system really weren't much fun to begin with - nightmare mode is sheer stat buffs. No fun at all!

Miner 2049er

Scholar
But, just keep in your mind that Hard and Nightmare each unlock extra boss attack patterns, and make enemies more aggressive.
It makes the game MUCH more fun. If you have an Ys-itch sometime, I urge you to replay the game on these modes.

Playing (and beating) Oath on Nightmare was one of the greatest gaming expereinces I ever had.

Valid points. I guess I can at least try it on my next run. You're right, I need to man up. These games desperately need an iron man mode. I mean, where is the thrill, when you just can try again, right ?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Haha, I wouldn't go that far. The boss fights are fun but are very much dependant on a bit of trial and error.

After that, applying what you learned is like 50% of the fun!

Arkeus

Arcane
So, huh, in which order should I play those games? I am a bit confused with the whole 'Origin'/etc

pippin

The series is numbered, so if you really want to play them you should follow the order of release I guess. Origin is a prequel to the first game and explains who is the big bad of Ys 1, but you don't really need to understand the rest of the games to play it. It's in fact the only Ys game I've ever played, and it's a hack and slash game, so it's not like you're exposed to deep lore or something like that.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Play 1 & 2, they're the classics. Not as fun as later games, but still great.

Then, move on to Napishtim. It's moderately good.

Then, play Felghana & Origin on Hard or Nightmare. This is where the real meat is!

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Then, play Felghana & Origin on Hard or Nightmare. This is where the real meat is!

I'd even suggest getting a savegame for Felghana so you can just start on Inferno from the get go (normally you'd have to beat it on Nightmare before unlocking the higehst difficulty). Sadly Nightmare is the highest difficulty in Origin though.

Unless you're some wimp or playing with cut off fingers you miss out on a lot of fun by having overly difficult bosses, most of them have extra or at least augmented abilities which makes beating them so much more enjoyable on the highest difficulty.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Inferno's no fun imo - no extra boss patterns or aggressive enemies. It's just Nightmare with buffed enemies stats.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Been a while since I played it, but I felt a significant difference between Nightmare and Inferno. Bosses are still a tad bit faster in their animations than nightmare, which already gives you very little time to react. For the most part it is just more damage/health, but I don't really mind. You shouldn't get hit by any of the bosses abilities anyway, and having to dodge shit and exploit the bosses weakness for half a minute more thanks to them having more HP wasn't exactly a bad thing when I replayed it for the challenge.

Nightmare is the one that introduces most, if not all, of the new boss mechanics/patterns though, you're right about that.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
The final boss of Felghana told me to git gud
:shredder:
It took me an hour to fuck his shit up on hard, I really need to git gud :negative:. Taking a break for over a year from the Ys games might've been a factor there though.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Wow, Ys II Chronicles is so much better than the first one. I thought it would be more of the same and dropped it long ago just after finishing the first one. Glad I got back to it.

6081AD677C3CC2AFDE81F1776A2B527F3BA59467

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Really? I played them in one sitting and I remember liking them both. On the other hand, precisely because I played them together, I don't even rightly remember how they differ.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Really? I played them in one sitting and I remember liking them both. On the other hand, precisely because I played them together, I don't even rightly remember how they differ.
The first one had less fun stuff to do, a ridiculous level cap and an atrocious final boss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom