Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Zero Punctuation: The Escapist still hates The Witcher

Licaon_Kter

Augur
he says it's just a preview, so i hope he plays a bit more or something :)

anyway except Portal he criticized all the games, what can one expect from him?
(i liked Portal too, but it was rather short)

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Hory said:
I've only played through the first act of TW, and I also find it boring and with retarded quests so far. The review is not "totally ass".

Same here. The review is mostly for laughs though.

Docendo disco, scribendo cogito
icon_salut.gif
icon_salut.gif

Hory

Erudite
Marcelo21 said:
Hory said:
I've only played through the first act of TW, and I also find it boring and with retarded quests so far. The review is not "totally ass".

Same here. The review is mostly for laughs though.
Yeah, it's more difficult to create humor without criticizing. The complexity-problem for example, is exaggerated (I doubt he really can't handle "so much").

dagorkan

Arbiter
Fyz said:
Yahtzee's reviews although un'professional', and inconsistent are funny. You might find it 'not funny' when he's raping your favourite game, but actualy he is.
I don't think he's funny. I think he thinks he's funny, but really he's a moron.

yz.jpg

And I don't even like the Witcher...

dagorkan

Arbiter
OK what did he say that you found so funny? I didn't laugh or even smile once in the video, same as every other video he's made that I bothered to watch. He says the same things the average person on the Codex say, but can't match the best. I don't laugh constantly reading the Codex so why should I laugh just because it's got audio and shitty pictures to illustrate his points?

Hory

Erudite
I was just pointing out the irony in your liberal use of the word "moron".

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Hory said:
I also wasn't impressed with the early shit *ducks and hides*
Anyway, I thought the "review" was funny. The fact that we can be so precious about this is also funny.
I'm certain there are plenty of games that I like fanatically (I admit, The Witcher isn't one of them) that he could rag on and I would still find it amusing.

dagorkan said:
I don't laugh constantly reading the Codex ...
Why the fuck not? You're so fucking b&

slipgate_angel

Scholar
While this has nothing to do with TW, he is a bit of a hypocrite. He staited that Mass effect was too wordy for a videogame, and yet when he said that western RPGs had some variaty, a picture of the Planescape: torment box cover was shown.

I will say this much, I can understand where he's coming from. Sometimes it's not fun being stuck in one place forever, ((Play Disgaea to see what I mean)) .

Ausir

Arcane
Licaon_Kter said:
he says it's just a preview, so i hope he plays a bit more or something :)

No, he said it's a first impression because the game bored him too much to finish it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, Yahtzee is good at making underground adventures and good at bashing games in his zero punctuation reviews, I mean thats what his reviews are all about , making fun of new games. Apart from his obvious love for classic adventures it seems that he doesn't like RPG's in general and in fact I belive he prefers some mindless action over them. I'll forgive his Witcher review since "5 Days A Stranger" was a great game.

denizsi

Arcane
Bradylama said:
Are we done crying now?

No wait, I want to cry too!

"..Gerald -Sorry, GeralT"

I don't understand why he ever felt the need to stress this out. I can't think of any reason other than a belittling of the exoticism of a name only because it has a similar English variation which he's more comfortable with. He may find that version of the name gay of course, and if that's it, then I'm sure there are equally retarded people somewhere else, making fun of English names like Michael because they have "Mikael" in their own language. Or maybe he's just an illiterate ignorant who can only think that the name is GeralT only because the devs wanted to be "fancy-artsy".

Pc exclusive....designed to be complex and unintuitive as possible...so that the dirty console players don't ruin it for the glorious pc-gamer master race

Why the need to play PC-Supremacist card, especially when the key configuration in the game would make a perfect console controller adaptation and controls themselves are quite in the same vein with countless console action games? Just because there isn't a console version, it has to be a "hardcore commercial decision", right?

Standing mode.. combat mode..

Well.. He treats a CRPG as if it's a bastardized God of War clone, including remarks like this one through the whole thing. Isn't there something wrong with that from the very start? Or just stupid?

Read, research just to find and kill something

I can tell he's a fan of the magical quest compass, though he may have a point there, considering the dumbed down expectations from AAA CRPGs.

Box says 80 hours of gameplay, I'm sure it's because of all the boring shit

Telling from other posts in the thread, this smells of double standards.

One-click combat.

First it was an unintuitive, hardcore PC game, now it's a simpleton MMORPG rip off? He could at the very least try to be consistent during the mere 4 minutes. Let's not forget his love for quest compass, as I'm sure the lack of one certainly contributed to him calling the game unintuitive.

Hatred of women.. Sexist

Political correctness FTW! If only one game, just one more game to have masculine women with equal social standings in the game world, all the sexism in the world would have long vanished, but no, The Witcher had to support the patriarchal society!

I've seen two other reviews, or whatever he calls those shit, from him. They are about as equally devoid of substance. I don't necessarily dislike the guy. I can't say I feel anything. I just get the impression that he's indeed a moron by the "popular-culture definition" of it. Out of 10 or so remarks about the game, only 3 really had any <strike>substance</strike> relatively accurate information to it at all: Amount of reading and dialogue necessary to push the game forward even if his attitude on its dosage is superimposing; general features of the game world if bashed from a politically correct view and the combat oversimplified.

No wonder he can find a place and make a name for himself with followers in world full of morons.

ghostdog said:
Well, Yahtzee is good at making underground adventures and good at bashing games in his zero punctuation reviews, I mean thats what his reviews are all about , making fun of new games. Apart from his obvious love for classic adventures it seems that he doesn't like RPG's in general and in fact I belive he prefers some mindless action over them. I'll forgive his Witcher review since "5 Days A Stranger" was a great game.

Making fun of games is ok as long as there is some point to it. For all I see, he could just as well make fun of any game because of any made-up reason. If he's better with other types of games, sticking to them would lower the impression of a moron he gives.

Amasius

Augur
DarkUnderlord said:
Yahtzee doesn't do reviews.
Fixed. Nobody would watch Yahtzee to decide to buy a game or not. It's much more fun to watch his videos if you've already played the game. Or not if he trashes a game you like, but hey. :wink:

Brother None said:
PS: holy shit I just scrolled through the comments. Apart from my run-ins with the Escapist's rather blunt-headed staff, my experiences with their readership have generally been that it's a fairly intelligent, loquacious bunch. But these bunch look like they're from a hybrid of Something Awful and GameFAQs. Holy shit what a bunch of retards.
They've worked hard to gain their new readership. :roll:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My problem is with the lack of originality.

Now he is payed to play this game yet is sounds like he did the tutorial and nothing else and then used the rest of the time wanking of to sex cards.

So he bitches about some of the least important things in the games and misses all of the important ones.

WHAHAHA THIS GAME HAVE TITS WHAHAHAHA IT IS TO COMPLEX WAHAHAHA I AM TO FUCKING STUPID TO READ OR PAY ATTENTION TO THE INFO THAT TELLS ME CRAP!!!!

Whinny little shit.

Ausir

Arcane
There are many "monster contract" quests, but it's pretty natural, considering that Geralt is a witcher, a professional monster slayer.

Au nature|

Novice
He's a mongrel like the Angry Video Game Nerd. Hate his smug attitude he keeps floating around.

What angers me more are their viewers who praise them with "LOL! You rock, as always!"

deuxhero

Arcane
Madman said:
Fyz said:
Yahtzee's reviews although un'professional', and inconsistent are funny. You might find it 'not funny' when he's raping your favourite game, but actualy he is

Ok, it is, but he should try use some reasonable arguments. Comparing TW to MMO is piece of shit. I like when something is funny AND inteligent.

The only things I can think of that are both funny and intelligent are Mythbusters, and Bill Nye the Science Guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom