Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima: From Akalabeth to Ascension! (Now on VII)

Elzair

Cipher
Gold said:
Elzair said:
Gold said:
Hurry up damn it. ;)

(I want to see 8 and 9 since I won't make myself play those two.)

You are going to have to wait quite a while. :)

After Ultima V (a rather long, hard game), there is VI, Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, Underworld 1, VII, Underworld 2, and Serpent Isle.

Wait, you are going to play Underworld 1/2 and Worlds of? Seriously crazy dude.

I never said this would be finished in a month.

DaveO

Erudite
I'll have to avoid the Worlds of Ultima games when you reach that point. I have to pick up Savage Empire where I left off at, and I'm planning to play Martian Dreams.

Excellent so far, though I am going to avoid your playthrough of U5 because I am planning on doing a complete run through of the C64/128 (the best version, but difficult for you since having played through the PC version of 4, you won't be able to transfer your Avatar over (I still have my U4 Avatar on a C64 save game dated from the late 80's)) version again shortly and do not want to spoil the experience.

Elzair

Cipher
Second Interlude

Second Interlude: Tying-Up Loose Ends And Introducing New Stuff

First, I forgot to include Smith in my playthrough of Ultima IV. I will do so now.

First, I head to Paws.

ultimaiv977.png

Next, I jimmy open this door and head out to the horse stable. On the way I have to kill a mad bull.

ultimaiv978.png

Francesca: Francesca.

Francesca: I am the stable hand.

Francesca: Right good.

Francesca: I saw the way ya dealt with ol' Red Eye! Ya haven't come to steal a horse I hope?

ultimaiv979.png

Francesca: The talking horse!

I then try talking to all the horses in the stable. Finally I find the right one.

ultimaiv980.png

ultimaiv981.png

ultimaiv982.png

Smith was supposed to tell me an important secret, but Origin forgot to add it.

Well, before I do another update I should introduce a few new elements that will become mainstays of the series.

First, the spells will now be split-up into eight circles of magic. A mage will now be able to cast spells (provided s/he has the MP and necessary reagents) from any circle equal to or lower than his or her current level. Instead of using one word, I now need to recite an incantation of the following words.

An negate
Bet small
Corp death
Des down
Ex freedom
Flam flame
Grav energy
Hur wind
In create
Kal invoke
Lor light
Mani life
Nox poison
Por movement
Quas illusion
Rel change
Sanct protection
Tym time
Uus up
Vas great
Wis knowledge
Xen creature
Ylem matter
Zu sleep

For instance, to cast a fireball, I recite "VAS FLAM."

Next, Ultima V introduces potions to the series. Potions can be bought in magic stores (or possibly brewed but that might only be in later games) and drinking one will affect the character in some way.

Potion Effect
Blue Awaken
Yellow Heal
Red Cure Poison
Green Poison
Orange Sleep
Purple Change form
Black Invisibility
White X-Ray Vision

There are also some scrolls that do various things.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima V Part 1: The Shadow of the Past

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny

u5box.jpg

Part 1: The Shadow of the Past

I have finally come to Ultima V! While Ultima V is a thematically a bit more of a traditional RPG than Ultima IV, it enhances nearly every element from the past games. Combat has been improved (and is much more challenging); the player can choose six of the fifteen possible companions. There are several more inhabited settlements now, and the new engine has allowed for much more detail: chairs, beds and other objects now appear. There is also a day-night cycle, and and it will effect the game a lot. Ultima V is also, from what I can tell, the first RPG to feature NPC schedules. If you do not want to take my word that this game is awesome, here is what others have to say about it.

Sean Malstrom:
Ultima V is argued as the height of the Ultima series. It is certainly the height of the hardcore games. Grand Theft Auto has nothing on this game.

In this game, you can go anywhere, do anything. Every NPC has a schedule. Depending on the time, you can catch them in bed and follow them as they go about their lives. Unlike most games, there is no good vs. evil style. You don’t really know who is evil.

Check out the ad. It totally sounds like how 'hardcore gaming' is advertised today in how they advertise the 'sophistication.' Ultimas, since V, just got simpler and simpler. This is how I know the ultimate trend of gaming is towards less sophistication, not more. The hardcore were being disrupted even back in 1988. I remember.

Scorpia's Review:

The graphics in the game are much improved over Ultima IV. The detail is finer, the range of motion greater, and there are many little niceties, such as waterfalls; ticking clocks (look close enough, you can even tell the time!); movable items (such as chairs and barrels); curved coastlines; lighthouses that actually work at night, sweeping the area with their beams; little pools of light around lamps in towns and villages; and many more.

Well, now that you are fired up, let's play the game.

ultimav001.png

ultimav002.png

ultimav003.png

ultimav004.png

ultimav005.png

Fuck yeah!

ultimav006.png

First, let's watch the title screen for a while. It provides an animated intro to the game.

ultimav007.png

ultimav008.png

ultimav009.png

ultimav010.png

ultimav011.png

ultimav012.png

ultimav013.png

ultimav014.png

ultimav015.png

ultimav016.png

ultimav017.png

ultimav018.png

ultimav019.png

ultimav020.png

ultimav021.png

ultimav022.png

ultimav023.png

ultimav024.png

ultimav025.png

Here is the main screen. First I will view the intro movie.

ultimav028.png

ultimav029.png

ultimav031.png

ultimav032.png

ultimav033.png

ultimav034.png

ultimav036.png

ultimav038.png

ultimav039.png

ultimav040.png

ultimav042.png

ultimav043.png

ultimav045.png

ultimav047.png

ultimav049.png

ultimav050.png

ultimav052.png

ultimav054.png

ultimav057.png

ultimav059.png

ultimav061.png

It is time to save Britannia, but first I have to transfer my character from Ultima IV. To do that, I first copy the file PARTY.SAV from my Ultima4 directory to my Ultima5 directory. Then, I scroll down to the option "Transfer from Ultima IV".

ultimav065.png

I tell it to check in my "C:" drive.

ultimav066.png

Whohoo!

ultimav067.png

I tell it to keep all my original characteristics.

ultimav068.png

For the last time, I don't want to be a chick!

ultimav069.png

ultimav070.png

ultimav071.png

ultimav072.png

ultimav073.png

ultimav074.png

It is now time to "Journey Onward."

ultimav076.png

I begin the game sitting in a chair in Iolo's hut. Notice that a lot of details like chairs, tables, bedstands and even pots have been added to the game.

ultimav080.png

Since I had a tiring night, I get some shut-eye. I can only rest on the world map or in beds, but resting can take time. Notice how the little sun moves across the top of the screen.

ultimav082.png

This barn is empty and locked, but I need to come back here later. I now check the stats of all my characters.

ultimav083.png

ultimav084.png

Shamino, the ranger, is now a fighter? WTF?! It appears there are only three classes (fighter, mage and bard) available for NPCs.

ultimav085.png

ultimav086.png

ultimav087.png

ultimav088.png

ultimav089.png

ultimav090.png

ultimav091.png

The pocket watch gives me the current time.

ultimav092.png

ultimav093.png

Picking crops increases my food supply, but it also lowers my karma (which I can view with Ctrl-K). Ultima V is a lot more relaxed than Ultima IV when it comes to following the virtues. The specific eight virtues have been replaced with a karma system that can be raised (by doing shrine quests, giving gold to beggars, etc.) and lowered (by stealing, killing innocents, and so on).

ultimav094.png

Yes.

ultimav096.png

It appears that Iolo's hut is in the middle of Spiritwood, the forest near Yew.

ultimav098.png

I then head west to Empath Abbey.

ultimav099.png

ultimav100.png

Name.

ultimav101.png

Job.

Hardluck: I am the Abbey jester!

Jester.

Hardluck: I juggle and sing fine songs!

Sing.

ultimav102.png
ultimav103.png
ultimav104.png

Hardluck: Like it?

Yes.

ultimav105.png
ultimav106.png

Poor widdle Blackthorn! :cry:
Oh well, we still have to put him down like a rabid dog!

ultimav107.png

There is now an animation for climbing ladders. That is a nice touch!

ultimav108.png

There is a secret door south of the potted plant, but I have no way to reach it.

ultimav110.png

Wow! The NPCs even respond based on the time of day!

ultimav111.png

Like I said, Ultima V has a day-night cycle. When it gets dark, I need to pull out a torch to see anything.

ultimav112.png

I then exit town to rest.

ultimav113.png

If I set a guard, he will not heal any, but he will alert the party to any attacks in the night.

ultimav119.png

Holy crap!

ultimav120.png

Shamino has been healed.

ultimav121.png

LB will inform me of how I am upholding the eight virtues.

ultimav124.png

It is daytime!

ultimav125.png

Here is my old friend Julia, the tinker.

Yes.

Julia: At long last! We had thought thy return was beyond hope! Elzair, is it time we took up arms again?

Yes.

ultimav126.png

Yes.

ultimav127.png

I take her along.

ultimav128.png

Job.

Tim: I am the bard for this castle.

Bard.

Tim: Yes, I play and sing for the inhabitants of this castle.

Castle.

Tim: Empath Abbey.

Play.

Tim: Tra-la-la! Dost thou enjoy fine harpsichord music?

Yes.

Tim: Since Lord British's disappearance, his Court Composer Sir Kenneth is said to be traveling throughout Britannia.

Kenneth.

Tim: He trades music lessons for melodies. He is compiling a collection of Britannian folkmusic.

Lessons.

Tim: Recently he gave a recital in Trinsic, and then headed south. He often teaches a piece by Iolo and Gweno. 'Tis a favorite of Lord British.

Favorite.

Tim: Some even say that to play the piece on the finest instrument may cause magical occurrences.

Magic.

Tim: Only on an instrument worthy of kings!

Hmm... I wonder where I can find one of those?

ultimav134.png

This is Cory.

Job.

Cory: I am the cook for this castle.

Cook.

Cory: I certainly do! Many delicacies pass from my kitchens onto the plates of hungry souls.

Hungry souls.

Cory: Such mouth-watering dishes as fried shark and sauteed squid au poivre.

Fried shark.

Cory: Ah! A connoisseur! Wouldst thou like to try some?

Yes.

Cory: Here. Eat this.

ultimav135.png

Cory: Good, huh!

She will give me something to eat if I ask nicely. This is a cheap (but time consuming) way to gather food.

ultimav136.png

If a door has a yellow dot on it, that means it is locked.

ultimav137.png

Job.

Barbra: I am keeper of the flame of Love.

Keeper.

Barbra: I tend and protect the sacred flame of Love, to show the world that all hope is not yet lost!

ultimav138.png

Hope.

Barbra: Since the loss of Lord British, evil, especially in the form of the three Shadowlords, has infested this land.

Shadowlords.

Barbra: They oppose the basic fabric of Virtue! Thou dost know it is thy duty to try and recover what this kingdom has lost. Dost thou intend to?

Yes.

ultimav139.png
ultimav140.png
ultimav141.png

I now speak to Michael, the lord of Empath Abbey.

ultimav142.png

Job.

Michael: I am lord of this castle.

Castle.

Michael: Here in Empath Abbey we protect the Principle of Love from the evils that would corrupt it.

Evils.

Michael: Since the disappearance of Lord British, evil has reared its foul head, and now the three Castles of Virtue stand alone.

Alone.

Michael: The Shadowlords dare not desecrate this holy place, not even the Shadowlord of Hate!

Hate.

ultimav143.png

I am done with Empath Abbey (for now), and I am also done with this update. Later!

Elzair

Cipher
I am not promising anything, but I am working on another update.

Michael Ellis

Scholar
Project: Eternity
Thank you for your hard work and dedication.
I can still remember when V came out.
I bought it at Radio Shack and played on my Tandy 1000.
I filled up an entire notebook with notes and handdrawn maps of the underworld/dungeons.
I was even reading fluent runic by the time I finished.
Forgive an old man for reminiscing : )

I noticed you didn't talk to Smith at Iolos hut. Also, use the push command to 'pull' something like the pot plant hiding the secret door.

You can also Klimb boulders, fences, etc....even walk into fireplaces...ok, I will stop now before I start giving away game winners.

Enjoy! This one is possibly my favourite game of all time. I don't want to see any more though, I have a re-run to do myself. You are one lucky fellow to be playing it for the first time. If only I could erase memories.

Edit: Oh, you might want to track down the midi expansion. The PC version only used the PC speaker, and even though the midi tracks are not nearly as good as the C64/128 music and sound, it is still better than the odd beep.

http://reconstruction.voyd.net/index.ph ... d=upgrades

Erebus

Arcane
Wow ! There seems to be more text in U5's introduction than in all the previous games combined !

Elzair

Cipher
Blackadder said:
I noticed you didn't talk to Smith at Iolos hut. Also, use the push command to 'pull' something like the pot plant hiding the secret door.

You can also Klimb boulders, fences, etc....even walk into fireplaces...ok, I will stop now before I start giving away game winners.

Enjoy! This one is possibly my favourite game of all time. I don't want to see any more though, I have a re-run to do myself. You are one lucky fellow to be playing it for the first time. If only I could erase memories.

Edit: Oh, you might want to track down the midi expansion. The PC version only used the PC speaker, and even though the midi tracks are not nearly as good as the C64/128 music and sound, it is still better than the odd beep.

http://reconstruction.voyd.net/index.ph ... d=upgrades

Well, it is not my first time playing the game. I have played it before, but I never went in the underworld. This will hopefully be my first time beating it.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima V Part 2: Many Meetings

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny

Part 2: Many Meetings

Since I forgot to include it last time, here is a (computer-generated) map of Britannia.

u5map.gif

As you can see, it looks almost the same as last time. You can find a better version of the map with labels and everything here.

BTW, I am playing with the Ultima V upgrade patch that adds the MIDI soundtrack from the Commodore 128 version.

ultimav144.png

I head east from Empath Abbey.

ultimav145.png

I now arrive at the city of Yew. However, something is amiss . . .

ultimav146.png

ultimav147.png

These are Blackthorn's new laws. They are basically an attempt to legislate virtue.

ultimav148.png

Thank goodness they did not have mugshots back then!

ultimav149.png

Ultima V marks the first game where the runic language becomes very widespread. This sign reads "political prisoners."

ultimav150.png

Job.

Aleyn: I fear I have broken a law!

Law.

Aleyn: I failed to enforce the Seventh Law of Virtue.

Seventh law.

Aleyn: I did not turn my father in for donating too little to charity!

Charity.

Aleyn: That's just what I'm told!

ultimav151.png

That little bastard stole something from me!

ultimav152.png

Shit! A Shadowlord! This guy is way out of my league, so I hightail it out of town and wait a day. I then talk to the boy's father, Mario.

ultimav153.png

Job.

mario.jpg
I am bein' 'orribly punished for a trivial crime.

Punished.

mario.jpg
I've been sentenced to slowly die in the stocks, for me minor crime.

Son.

mario.jpg
He too 'as been left to die!

Crime.

mario.jpg
I was convicted by Ye Court of Inquisition. I could afford only 40% of me earnings to give unto charity! A fact that I did not confess until I was caught and tortured!

Tortured.

mario.jpg
Don't ask Won't ye 'elp me please?

Yes.

mario.jpg
Please, unlock the stocks an 'elp me 'scape!

Unlock.

mario.jpg
For Pete's sake, use a key and jimmy the bloody lock!

I gain karma for helping people like Aleyn and his son, but I don't have the keys to spare right now.

ultimav154.png

Le fuck?! If I am caught by a guard, I have to pay some kind of tribute. I usually just reload. BTW, I can now save my game in towns and dungeons.

ultimav155.png

This is Judge Dryden, one of Blackthorn's inner circle and the head of the "justice" system in Britannia.

Job.

Dryden: I am the head Inquisitor.

Judge.

Dryden: This is the Court of Inquisition of His Majesty Blackthorn! Art thou here to confess?

No.

Dryden: Perhaps then, to plead for the life of another, yes?

No.

Dryden: Then what?

Bye.

Dryden: Live by the Eight Laws!

I head to the cells in the back of the courthouse.

ultimav156.png

Job.

Jerone: Well, I used to be an adventurer!

Adventurer.

Jerone: Now I'm a prisoner!

Prisoner.

Jerone: I was convicted of heresy!

Heresy.

Jerone: I stated my belief that Lord British was alive!

British.

Jerone: It happened one night when I was camping out on the moors.

Camp.

Jerone: A strange apparition arose before my fire!

Apparition.

Jerone: It was HIM, I swear it! Surely thou dost believe me?

Yes.

Jerone: Then surely thou must agree, there is hope! If only my brother would hurry!

Brother.

ultimav157.png

Collect.

Jerone: He used to give me keys, but I kept getting caught!

Keys.

ultimav158.png

ultimav159.png

This is Greymarch. He will be important later.

ultimav160.png

This is Jeremy, Jerone's brother. He works as a cook at the Slaughtered Lamb.

Job.

Jeremy: I am the chef at The Slaughtered Lamb. Is there anything that thou dost need- food, keys or perhaps information?

Information.

Jeremy: All I can tell thee is that Chamfort knows a Mantra!

Chef.

Jeremy: I work hard- I need the money.

Money.

Jeremy: I'm trying to get my brother out of jail.

Brother.

Jeremy: It is going to cost me 500 gold crowns!

500 gold crowns.

Jeremy: I know not how I shall save that much.

Keys.

Jeremy: Have five! Surely thou wilt give me 50 gold for those keys?

No.

Jeremy: Scoundrel!

Yeah, yeah. Not giving him the 50 gold will lower my karma a little, but money is tight right now.

ultimav161.png

Nice! Anyway, the weird floor tile to the east is a trap door, and stepping on it flings my party underground.

ultimav162.png

Eeek! A rat!

ultimav163.png

We make quick work of it.

ultimav164.png

The corner to the north of me is a secret door.

ultimav165.png

Searching in that direction makes the door reveal itself. I then head up, to the left and down to another room.

ultimav166.png

Jaana: So, tell me, hast thou returned to set things right?

Yes.

Jaana: Good! Hath thy journeys fared well so far?

Yes.

ultimav167.png

ultimav168.png

Whohoo! Jaana the Druid has become a mage.

ultimav169.png

Anyway, I find a ladder up and exit through the fireplace (taking damage) into the blacksmith's house. He must be working for the resistance as well, but I need to find out more info first.

ultimav178.png

Don't ask me to fucking translate that!

ultimav180.png

This one says:
"East Britain
South Paws."

I head east.

ultimav181.png

ultimav182.png

ultimav183.png

Iolo has a bow shop?! I speak to the lady in the back.

ultimav184.png

Name.

Gwenno: I am Gwenno.

Job.

Gwenno: I repair bows and crossbows.

Crossbows.

Gwenno: Iolo makes them, I repair them.

Repair.

Gwenno: The finest yew bows and the stoutest crossbows in the land!

Iolo.

Gwenno: Strange, is it not, that even though Iolo is an outlaw, we still manage to keep his bows in stock. . . Nudge, nudge. . .

Outlaw.

Gwenno: Yes, there are many signs about those brigands (tee hee) in many towns.

Signs.

Gwenno: Wanted: Dead or Alive!

Towns.

Gwenno: Yew, for instance!

Yew.

Gwenno: Northwest of here, in the Deep Forest.

ultimav186.png

We have another party member! This maxes out my current party. If I want to add another one, I will have to get rid of someone. I now speak to Greyson by the fountain in the center of town.

ultimav187.png

Job.

Greyson: I am an adventurer!

Adventurer.

Greyson: I have been many places, and seen many things!

Things.

Greyson: I've even seen the Guardians!

Guardians.

Greyson: They are like two winged stone giants, yet they possess life!

Life.

Greyson: Only those upon a sacred quest ordained by the mystic Shrines are granted passage unto the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom which lies beyond!

Codex.

Greyson: I know not more, for I was not on a sacred quest and could not pass.

Sacred quest.

Greyson: One must know first the Mantra for a particular shrine. Meditate there, and be sent upon a sacred quest, then canst thou enter the Shrine of the Codex!

Mantra.

ultimav188.png

British.

ultimav189.png

It is "MU" like last time. I now head to Hotel Brittany.

ultimav191.png

Job.

Justin: Why, I am the cook, of course!

Cook.

Justin: My specialty is roast leg of mutton a la Britanny!

Roast leg of mutton.

Justin: Ah, 'tis the finest in all the land, if I do say so myself! Wouldst thou like to try a bite?

Yes.

Justin: [gives food] Here thou art. . . Smack. . . Slurp. . . Chomp. . . Didst thou enjoy it?

Yes.

Justin: Surely then, thou wouldst pay me 3 gold coins for such a culinary delight?

Yes.

Justin: I thank thee kindly!

ultimav192.png

Yes.

ultimav193.png

ultimav194.png

I buy two packs of rations here and then speak to Eb.

ultimav195.png

Eb: A pleasure!

Eb: Didst thou break a glass?

Eb: Dost thou admire fine glasswork?

ultimav196.png

No.

ultimav197.png

I then speak to the maid, Telila.

Job.

Telila: I clean the rooms.

Rooms.

Telila: We have but few guests these days.

Guests.

ultimav198.png

Mage.

Telila: His name is Annon- a strange fellow! He spends his days alone upon the balconies!

Telila: Up on the second floor of the inn!

I now head towards Lord British's castle. Apparently, three mini-towns, the Brittanny's, have grown up around it.

ultimav202.png

Job.

Christopher: I fiddle in the fields to keep me fed.

Fields.

Christopher: I pride myself in a job well done, even if one does not enjoy it.

Enjoy.

Christopher: What I really enjoy is writing works of fantasy.

Fantasy.

ultimav204.png

Times of Lore.

Christopher: I hope to have it published soon.

Published.

ultimav205.png

Yes.

Christopher: Good! Enchanted, I'm sure, to have met such an enlightened soul. What a nice chap thou art.

ultimav206.png

This is the Blue Boar. It will become the primary inn/tavern of Britain in later Ultimas.

There is not much else here (yet). I head to the castle.

ultimav213.png

Here is LB's favorite jester, Chuckles the Bumble.

ultimav214.png

Chuckles: I am here to welcome and try to entertain!

Welcome.

ultimav215.png

Cantabrigian?! His first name is Cantabrigian?! :smack:

Chuckes: And, his trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. . . . . . Jester, Chuckles the Bumble. . . . . . That's ME!

Entertain.

Chuckles: Ho eyo he hum! Ho eyo he hum! Ho eyo he hum! Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce! Didst thou enjoy that?

Yes.

Chuckles: I thought thou might!

I then speak to Treanna in the stables.

Job.

Treanna: I am the stable girl.

Stable.

Treanna: Lord British's stables are home to many of the finest breeds in the land.

Lord British.

Treanna: Alas, he is no longer with us.

Breeds.

Treanna: We have prime examples of most of the major breeds. What's thy favorite breed?

Valorian.

ultimav216.png

Yes.

Treanna: What was its name?

Ed. :)

Treanna: Not that one!

Smith.

ultimav217.png

Well, I need to head back there as soon as possible.

ultimav224.png

I then cross a bridge with trolls underneath. Fortunately, all my characters manage to sneak across without a fight.

ultimav225.png

This sign says:
"North Britain
East Paws
South Trinsic."

I head east.

ultimav226.png

Job.

ultimav227.png

Gems.

Glinkie: I am searching for the mystic Shrine of Spirituality, and feel they would be of good use!

ultimav229.png

Destroyed.

Glinkie: Dost thou know where to find it?

Yes.

Glinkie: Where?

Moongate at midnight.

Glinkie: Art thou saying that I must enter a Moongate to reach the Shrine of Spirituality?

Yes.

Glinkie: At midnight?

Yes.

Glinkie: Oh, no wonder I never found it! Well, that one is likely safe then. . .

ultimav230.png

Words of Power.

ultimav231.png

ultimav232.png

This may be useful later since shrines can be destroyed in this game. Anyway, let's talk to more people.

ultimav233.png

Job.

Bandaii: I seek a magical beast.

Magical beast.

Bandaii: Since the last age, rumours abound of a legendary horse!

Horse.

Bandaii: I search for Smith, the notorious talking horse!

Smith.

Bandaii: I do not doubt the rumours, but this I must see for myself! Dost thou believe in talking horses?

Yes.

Bandaii: Hast thou seen one?

Yes.

Bandaii: Was it Smith?

Yes.

Bandaii: Where didst thou see him?

Iolo's hut.

ultimav234.png

ultimav235.png

Sweet! I cannot get it yet, though.

ultimav236.png

This sign reads, "welcome to Paws." Now, I will go to the moongate back near Britain.

ultimav221.png

Moon gates work a bit differently in this game. First of all, they only appear at night. Even though all of them appear at once, they will all go to only one destination depending on the phase of the moon. If it is not yet midnight, the leftmost moon determines the destination, and the right one does so after midnight. During the hour of midnight (I think), the moongates will always lead to the Shrine of Spirituality (I think). Here is a list of moonphases and their various destinations.

Code:
Moon                         Town
New                          Moonglow
Quarter waxing               Britain
Half waxing                  Jhelom
Three-quarter waxing         Yew
Full                         Minoc
Three-quarter waning         Trinsic
Half waning                  Skara Brae
Quarter waning               New Magincia

ultimav237.png

I wonder where I am?

ultimav238.png

I think I know now. Can you guess?

ultimav239.png

Uh oh!

ultimav240.png

I come back around morning, and the Shadowlord is gone. I speak to the kid.

ultimav241.png

Name.

ultimav242.png

So this is Malik? I ask him about glass.

ultimav243.png

ultimav244.png

Malik: Didst thou know my mother is a fortuneteller?

No.

Malik: We live in the building in the northwest corner. Go talk to her! She knows lots of chants and powerful words!

ultimav246.png

This is Blackthorn's law of Honesty.

ultimav249.png

In one of the houses I find some food in a barrel. Searching for items does not seem to affect my karma. I then head up the ladder.

ultimav250.png

Upstairs, I push (or, in this case, pull) the chest at the bottom to reach the chest in the corner. Pushing an object moves it one space in the direction I push it. If that direction is blocked, I pull it, which means that I and the object swap places. Unlike the last game, I cannot just walk over tiles occupied by objects.

ultimav251.png

Whohoo! Wearing this makes a character invisible to enemies. It only lasts for a while, though. I now head to see Malik's mother, the gypsy fortuneteller.

ultimav253.png

Name.

Malifora: I am Malifora.

Job.

Malifora: I can see many things beyond thy ken!

Things.

Malifora: Tell me what thou seeketh.

Word of Power.

ultimav254.png

This translates to FALLAX.

Mantra of Honesty.

ultimav256.png

The mantra is AHM, as usual. How does she know the word of power BTW? I thought only members of the Great Council knew those!

Council.

Malifora: Yes, Elzair, I served on the Great Council.

Shards.

ultimav257.png

Blackthorn.

Malifora: I see that he resides upon an isle of three volcanoes, far to the south in the great sea!

I tip her for her services and proceed to loot the town. Here are some more items I find.

ultimav258.png

ultimav259.png

ultimav260.png

ultimav261.png

ultimav262.png

I then head for the tower in the center of town.

ultimav263.png

Job.

Zachariah: I watch the stars.

Stars.

Zachariah: I watch the signs amongst the planets!

Signs.

Zachariah: Comets have come! A sign of evil!

Comets.

ultimav264.png

Shadowlords.

ultimav265.png

Attack.

Zachariah: If only the Avatar would return!

Zachariah: Art thou the Avatar of legend?

Yes.

Zachariah: Indeed? What is the password of our Resistance?

Shit! There is a password! I need to find this out.

Dunno.

Zachariah: I do not yet believe thee!

I then speak to Don Piatt.

ultimav278.png

Elzair.

Don Piatt: May I be of service unto thee?

Yes.

Don Piatt: Thou may wish to frequent our fine pub or our herbalist, but avoid the man in the tower!

Job.

Don Piatt: I am Head Counsel for this fine community.

Pub.

Don Piatt: It is in the southeast building.

Herbalist.

Don Piatt: It is in the southwest building.

Tower.

Don Piatt: The man in the tower is a seed of discontent and will bring thee ill fortune!

I then head out of town and to the north.

ultimav268.png

While crossing a bridge my party is attacked by trolls. Since only Gwenno and Julia have ranged weapons (a sling and a spear), I move my party into position.

ultimav269.png

Unlike the past Ultimas, in this game my characters can aim their attacks in one or more squares away from their position depending on the range of their weapons. This means characters can finally attack diagonally. Another interesting thing is that characters can dual wield weapons, and when they do, they get one attack for each weapon. Since Iolo has a dagger and a main gauche, he can attack twice.

ultimav272.png

Since the top troll is trying to flee, I cast VAS FLAM to roast him.

ultimav273.png

Yeah! That is one troll burger extra crispy!

ultimav274.png

One of the trolls left behind a (trapped) chest. Chests now appear on the combat screen rather than the overworld.

ultimav275.png

Nice!

North is the Lycaeum, but I decide to play around with the moongates. First I head in to the moongates around midnight.

ultimav279.png

ultimav280.png

ultimav281.png

I remember the mantra, OM, from the last game.

ultimav282.png

ultimav284.png

ultimav286.png

The moongate deposits me on a tiny island. I sleep until morning.

ultimav287.png

This is the village of New Magincia. It was built on the ruins of old Magincia, which was destroyed by daemons for it pride sometime before Ultima IV.

ultimav288.png

It has been rebuilt by a bunch of shepherds/farmers into an agricultural commune. It seems to have replaced Yew and Skara Brae as the go-to destination for hippies.

ultimav290.png

Job.

Yasuda: I am a farmer.

Farmer.

Yasuda: We have worked very hard here to rebuild Magincia.

Rebuild.

Yasuda: It has been a very long and laborious task, but we are near completion.

Completion.

Yasuda: We would be through now if 'twer not for the black devils who come and take fully half our yield!

Black devils.

Yasuda: The Shadowlords are Blackthorn's enforcers of his self-righteous regime!

Apparently, there is some resentment with Blackthorn's regime. I now talk to more hippies.

ultimav291.png

Job.

Kaiko: I work to grow the crops for our towne.

Crops.

Kaiko: Without our work, many would starve, yet we seek no more than our humble earnings, unlike the new King!

King.

Kaiko: Blackthorn, the usurper!

Blackthorn.

Kaiko: He takes half our harvest, and imprisons those with the knowledge of the ancients!

Imprisons.

ultimav292.png

Throne.

ultimav293.png
ultimav295.png
ultimav296.png

It looks like I will have to brave Blackthorn's dungeons to find the councillor Hassan.

ultimav297.png

Job.

Fumiko: I share the workload in the community fields.

Community fields.

Fumiko: We work long days, but 'tis a choice we make freely!

Freely.

Fumiko: Devoid of freedom, what would virtue be. . .

Virtue.

ultimav298.png

These are words to live by!

Enslaved.

Fumiko: Those who mindlessly follow the will and tyranny of Blackthorn! Yet still, many believe themselves free!

ultimav300.png

This is Tomoka. She is another embittered hippie. Honestly, what is up with all the wappanese hippies in New Magincia?

ultimav301.png

Elzair.

Tetsuo: Pleased to meet thee!

Job.

Tetsuo: I work hard and reflect upon the greater meaning.

Meaning.

Tetsuo: Art thou a servant of Blackthorn?

No.

Tetsuo: I feel the Eight Laws are misguiding!

Misguiding.

ultimav302.png

Path.

ultimav303.png
ultimav304.png

This is pretty much the theme of the whole game.

ultimav305.png

This cemetery contains all of the NPCs from the last game. In here I find an old woman, Shirita.

ultimav306.png

Job.

Shirita: I tend the graves of the former inhabitants of Magincia, poor souls!

Magincia.

Shirita: Long ago, Magincia was destroyed for its sins of pride and arrogance.

Pride.

Shirita: Magincia was once a thriving merchant community, the envy of all Britannia!

Envy.

Shirita: Sadly, they were not at all humble. Daemons sprang from the earth, engulfing Magincia in flames!

Daemons.

Shirita: The souls of the inhabitants lived on as undead creatures to warn others from the twisted path of Pride! After years of torment, they have finally been laid to rest. Pride is difficult to avoid. Dost thou strive to walk a humble path?

Yes.

ultimav307.png

I now find my (useless) former companion, Katrina.

ultimav308.png

ultimav309.png

No.

Katrina: Alas, I yearn for battle!

Then why do you suck so much?

ultimav310.png

This is the grave of Demitry, the skeleton who told me about the Silver Horn that I used to scare off daemons near the Shrine of Humility. Where the hell did that thing go, anyway?

Here is another one of Blackthorn's laws of virtue.

ultimav311.png

ultimav312.png

Cool! If I push a chair in a direction, it will face that direction.

I find the old man Shirita was talking about south of the inn.

ultimav313.png

Job.

Wartow: I stay here to live out my life!

Life.

Wartow: I have lived many years.

Years.

Wartow: Too many to count!

Humility.

Wartow: Who dost thou serve?

British.

Wartow: Dost thou hate the evil tyrant Blackthorn?

No.

ultimav314.png

Yes.

ultimav315.png

This translates to LUM. This guy will also ask how I can judge Blackthorn and think myself superior to him when I don't know all there is to know about him. This game seems to suggest that men are not inherently evil but can make many misguided choices.

Anyway, that is all for now.

Elzair

Cipher
BTW, I added the spell incantations to my Second Interlude post.

Silellak

Cipher
Ultimas, since V, just got simpler and simpler. This is how I know the ultimate trend of gaming is towards less sophistication, not more. The hardcore were being disrupted even back in 1988. I remember.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love Ultima V as much as anyone else, but how were VI and VII simpler than V? I know you're just quoting someone else, but I'm just curious if you know where they're coming from with that statement.

Will be fun to see the LP of Ultima V. I played Lazarus a couple years ago, but I can't even remember the last time I played the original V, so it will be fun to see what all is different.

Elzair

Cipher
Silellak said:
Ultimas, since V, just got simpler and simpler. This is how I know the ultimate trend of gaming is towards less sophistication, not more. The hardcore were being disrupted even back in 1988. I remember.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love Ultima V as much as anyone else, but how were VI and VII simpler than V? I know you're just quoting someone else, but I'm just curious if you know where they're coming from with that statement.

Will be fun to see the LP of Ultima V. I played Lazarus a couple years ago, but I can't even remember the last time I played the original V, so it will be fun to see what all is different.

Well, I think he was saying that the future Ultimas just kept getting simpler and easier to figure out. If you go into III-V blind, they might take 50-100 hours to beat. I have not played VI much, but I think it is a bit easier. I do know that Ultima VII's combat is very dumbed-down, and doing things is easier.

Elzair

Cipher
Which route does the hivemind want me to take to get LB's crown back? Should I do the virtuous thing of sneaking through Blackthorn's castle or should I get join the Oppression and get the password and the Black Badge?

Silellak

Cipher
Whichever ones makes for a better LP. Or, if it's not too much work, perhaps you should show both!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom