Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Alpha Brotocol (and Rage together)

Cassidy

Arcane
dudebro.jpg

Moby - EXTREME Ways

Lolfficial Banal Shit Boring Theme for this thread.

Index

Because this thread is and will be filled with heat, for those who don't enjoy reading the drama, the rage, the rants, the praises, the flamebaits, the shameless bumps and inane posts to avoid causing butthurt on people with shitty Internets and everything else Codexia can be expected to comment between each update, here are them:

1. First Intro Update(Right here in this post)
  2. First Cassidy experience ever with popamole. First Level up.
  3. Talking to NPCs and basic training prior to Saudi Arabia
  4. Muslim Elimination Arcade (Part 1)
  5. Muslim Elimination Arcarde (Part 1 - Continuation)
  6. Sneaking without darkness, without sound and without popamole special abilities.
  7. Will there be any consequences to skipping a mission besides less popamole?
  8. All Roads(and Boss Fights) lead to Rome
  9. == Next Operation: EXTREME Vult ==
  10. This is not Langley, and Xenu is not here
  11. Lots of Big Words in NPC conversations and a Stalking minigame to train some KKKodexers
  12. More tl;dr and NPC conversations that make this feel like an interactive movie
  13. Manor of Epic Rage and frustration
  14. Shifting between popamole and ninja in fail mission, and finding a critical plot revelation.
  15. It's impossible to sneak in the middle of a shootout between two bigger fishes.
  16. Exploring the ruins of good gameplay. Cheese!
  17. The PopamAlamo and the banging of the biatch
  18. Museum vs. Biatch. Which is Better and Why?
  19. All Boss Fights are made in Taiwan

Inspired by the courage and self-sacrifice of the true patriot DriacKin, and using the best FAQ ever made for this game:

1eyedking said:
Code:
===========================v1.337=============================
= 1eyedking's Fantastic ALPHA POPA- PROTOCOLS Strategy Guide =
===========================v1.337=============================

"Trustus  Obsidianus"

IN  OBISIDIAN
                         WE  TRUST

==============================================================

Release Date: 14/06/2010
Version: Last.

Contents:
[001] 1. Introduction
[002] 2. Strategy: How to pop moles like a bro
[003] 3. Walkthrough
[004] 4. Credits & thanks
[005] 5. Legal stuff

Note: Use your search function in your browser/notepad to eas-
ily find the chapters in this guide without the need for endl-
ess scrolling.

[001] 1. Introduction

Welcome to my first guide! English is my first language so ex-
pect a lot of "could of been", "it's bether then this", "its
great!". If you have zero tolerance for that kind of ortograp-
hy, I urge you to stop reading and go to some of the other gu-
ides.

So, without further ado, the guide!

[002] 2. Strategy: How to pop moles like a bro

Pick Recruit. Pick all recruit lines to cancel 1/3 of the "pe-
nalties" of that clas- background: you'll get 10 AP points for
free! If you pick any other flavor, even better so you'll have
plus 20 AP for further mole-popping goodness. You won't be ab-
le to unlock Veteran, however: thats not very broish of you.

* Spend your points as following:

Pistols [15]
Tech Aptitude [15]
Toughness [15]
Sabotage [2] (only if you're new into the whole poppin' busin-
ess)

The rest wherever you want, it doesn't matter. Remember to pi-
ck Operative as you specialize and pick those three skills.

* Strategy:

Chain Shot > Brilliance > Chain Shot

When waiting for the appropiate cooldowns, hide behind cover
and either wait for cooldowns to end or pop the moles from co-
ver with your pistol without exposing yourself: you can still
aim while invulnerable in cover if you move the center of the
screen towards an enemy. The crosshair will pop up and all you
need to do is fire since Michael Thorton has an overdeveloped
sense of popamoling (probably the drugs that they put in you
during the beginning of the game).

[003] 3. Walkthrough

Follow these steps to complete the game:

1. Follow compass.
2. Kill everyone in your path as you go.
3. Tap Use key furiously when near objective.

If a dialogue screen pops up, don't worry: pick any option or
alternatively tap all keys furiously and you're good to go.

[004] 4. Credits & thanks

Me for writing it.
Obsidian for making my work on a guide easier.
You for reading it.

[005] 5. Legal stuff

(C) Copyright 2010 1eyedking Enterprises, RPG Kodex

Sega, Obsidian & Alpha Protocol are trademarks of their respe-
ctive corporation/studio.

All rights reserved.

So here it is. I'll tell the truth. I think this will be a mediocre experience, but unless it equates the shittiness of an Oblivion, I might finish this crap before posting a last update raging and proving that my bros skyway and 1eyedking were completely right and that this legion of fanboys of Obsidian should GTFO of Codex and gb2gamefags and Obsidian Official forums.

The moment of truth approaches, another flip-flop by faggots who are continually lowering their standards and letting hype cloud their judgments or a so-so game that isn't that crap compared to what else has been released in 2010 but still sucks when analysed by a critical eye? Banal, Shit, Boring or something that could still be fun despite the popamole? This Let's Play might either answer any doubts or generate even more drama and rage about this game.

I'll post my experiences together with it, so in a way it will be a Let's Play/Review hybrid, but I won't give a rating once and if I bother finishing this game.

To prove this is real. It starts right now, although I won't go through the gameplay for now, just post the intro of this and comment on it.

--------------

So first thing I ever do regarding any game is go to the settings and tweak some things

lpbrotocolp1s01.jpg

360_kid_german.jpg

The great thing about 360 ports isn't doing Let's Play threads, it's showing everyone online that I did.

lpbrotocolp1s02.jpg

At least it can be turned off.

lpbrotocolp1s03.jpg

This is a screenshot based LP so subtitles are needed. With all settings easy, we go for the game itself.

lpbrotocolp1s04.jpg

I'm reading "Automatic Win", "Even my dog can beat it" and "Easy". Of course, for the sake of delivering a better thread, we'll go with "Easy" instead of the two other options.

lpbrotocolp1s05.jpg

lpbrotocolp1s06.jpg

Either this game has preset skill point distributions or Recruits start without skills to invest, I can't bother checking. But lets see the gameplay right? It has no character creation so far, so we can erase that already. Maybe there is some character development, we shall see.

Cutscene time

lpbrotocolp1s07.jpg

Looks like Modern Gayfare all again. Except there are no MIRVs this time.

lpbrotocolp1s08.jpg

[Perception][Intelligence]A missile and a civilian airplane shown in the same cutscene mean that they will probably meet each other.

lpbrotocolp1s09.jpg

lpbrotocolp1s10.jpg

[Intelligence]The Player Character could be inside that airplane

lpbrotocolp1s11.jpg

resized_ScreenShot607.jpg

lpbrotocolp1s12.jpg

I've seen someone like this guy before... wait

24566-90071-188110gman3editjpg-468x.jpg

He mentions Alpha Protocol to someone who may be the PC and no further explanations are given. Plot hook, cheap, but works. Will the game suck so much that I'll just search for a spoiler-ridden thread to check its ending and its plot instead of playing it? I don't know yet. According to skyway, racofer, 1eyedking, VentilatorofDoom and others it will, according to Obsidian fanboys, it won't.

Then

lpbrotocolp1s13.jpg

[Perception]This sounds familiar

007-birth.jpg

lpbrotocolp1s14.jpg

Someone calls you from the PDA. Welcome tutorial mission.

lpbrotocolp1s15.jpg

lpbrotocolp1s16.jpg

I took to long to go through the only way that should always work and lost the chance to post the first EXTREME SHEPARD in this thread.

:rage: :codexrage:

I was expecting worse from this dialogue timer, tbh, but it still sucks. Lets see how it will handle more complex NPC conversations(if there are any because I'm doubtful).

Then just random blah. That chick is called Mina and wants to help Shepard, or whatever he is called, to get the hell out of there because of something related to forced conditioning and brainwashing that will be made against his will.

kim_jong_il_juche_obama_parody_poster-p228675647812684767tdcp_400.jpg

[Intelligence]He could only be in one place in the world where this sort of thing happens oftenly.

lpbrotocolp1s17.jpg

Thus options appear on how to deal with the guard. Of course, Ambush sounds like the most EXTREME option so I picked it.

Veredict of this update: The first impressions aren't very positive, and like in Dreamfail, the barely explained plot can go into total shit yet but it can yet deliver. The basic premise is quite cliché but can be redeemed with a good plot development yet. No idea on what to expect regarding gameplay. No character creation spotted. Dialogue minigame is annoying but isn't the worst thing ever since Oblivion Horse Armor DLC.

tl;dr does this game suck?

A:

ojsimpson.jpg

My progressive evaluation of gameplay starts in the next update.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Looking good there, bro. Hope you elicit some tears and rage but this is at risk of totally derailing into another GRPG Brotocol Royal Rumble within 50 posts. The plot is going to be pretty much cliche all the way to the end, though.

Radisshu

Prophet
The recruit option makes you start without skill points. The other "classes" give you a few skill points to spend, which are pre-allocated depending on the "class" you pick, but can be redistributed. Apparently constantly picking the "recruit" dialouge option in the beginning gives you something like ten more AP to spend.

Other starts give 30 AP worth to spend, but playing Recruit unlocks Veteran which starts out with rank 3 in all skills, or 120 AP. So I'm guessing 90% of people play through on Recruit because lolmetagaming.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What the hell is with that CGI intro? Looks like it's made 10-15 years ago.

Terror Teats

Educated
The intro is ingame, as far as I can tell. Don't worry, the game is still shit from asselone's asselone.

Please, continue.

Monocause

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
What the hell is with that CGI intro? Looks like it's made 10-15 years ago.

True that. The airplane render looked like something from the late-90's, reminded me of M&M 7 intro.

That's one part of the game that was extremely rushed without a doubt. Strange from a design perspective - usually it's the late parts of the game that are rushed, with the beginning receiving the most polish. Perhaps the reports of the game plot being practically rewritten from scratch late in development are true.

Cassidy

Arcane
First experience with POPAMOLE gameplay

For real, because I never played one of those "OTS camera with cover system action games" before and I think it'll be banal, shit boring and suck, so lets see it.

lpbrotocolp2s33.jpg

Racofer said:
OBSIDIAN SUCKS AT CAMERAS

lpbrotocolp2s34.jpg

Strafing, as a instant reaction because of having played so many classical FPSes where circle-strafing, strafing from one cover to another in the map and always being on the move coupled with a good aim were the secrets to not lose in the game. The shock would be really great. Regardless, the combat is quite easy, by punching and strafing away from the foe.

lpbrotocolp2s35.jpg

Surprise buttsex.

lpbrotocolp2s36.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s37.jpg

11tm4.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s38.jpg

Presented with the choices between opening the door and breaking it with a kick, we do it the most EXTREME way. Now I see what Vault Dweller was talking about, not even 1 minute of gameplay and the game already presents us with a choice! I am very eager to see how far these choices can go and their consequences of the fact that the door remained intact instead of breaking so we can LARP about that later.

lpbrotocolp2s39.jpg

There are dozens of doors that are inacessible. Just from knowing the wasted potential in making a level design that so far seems as linear as in a 2d platformer without z-axis exploration...

:rage:

But it will change and things will become better later on, or is skyway totally right about this game? Ahem, IMO these faggots who insult skyway are probably totally wrong and thinking everything is banal, shit, boring without playing it because you witnessed the popamole from a gameplay video is the way to go. But for now I'll give them the benefit of doubt.

lpbrotocolp2s40.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s41.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s42.jpg

yawn.png

lpbrotocolp2s43.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s44.jpg

Behold the full glory of Sub-Radiant AI against stealth!

lpbrotocolp2s45.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s46.jpg

Whoever posted that this game's stealth is equal to Thief III's deserves to be shot.

lpbrotocolp2s47.jpg

It's not like finding ammo is pixel hunting to require that.

:decline:

I know Bloodlines had it but at least it depended upon a skill.

lpbrotocolp2s48.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s49.jpg

The enemies are so easy to kill(or knock down unconscious to be more specific in here) that only retards with 360 controllers need to use the cover system to avoid rape in this part. As a FPS veteran I found this trivial, typical Modern Gayfare stuff, except Modern Gayfare is not as easy as this game so far.

Achievement Unlocked: First Enemy shot down without using Popamole Cover System

:obviously:

lpbrotocolp2s50.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s51.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s52.jpg

Still, the controls are clunky, and even at point-blank shooting, you can still miss even if you aim right against the enemy(Of course, don't be a fag and complain that I didn't take the screenshot right when the crosshair reached the foe, I'm not pausing the game to take screens)

lpbrotocolp2s53.jpg

Thus, despite aiming correctly at point blank shot

:codexrage:

Also they were too lazy to implement a save anywhere feature. Even Oblivion with guns had it, FFS! But again, I bet the game would be way too easy if it was possible to save anywhere.

lpbrotocolp2s54.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s55.jpg

Usually the enemies barely manage to fire at all before being taken down, thus so far the cover thing didn't really prevail. So far I didn't stay several seconds at the same place popping moles. Most of the takedowns have been by the best possible way:

boom-headshot1.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s56.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s57.jpg

Fallout Shelter. Moar liek "Have you seen my father, he looks like a middle-aged guy" amirite?

lpbrotocolp2s58.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s59.jpg

So these are the so complicated cameras. Thief III is really not that different from this game regarding stealth.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s60.jpg

Kicking doors and asses through the totally linear journey, we reach the bottom floor.

lpbrotocolp2s61.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s62.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s63.jpg

Whack-A-Mole--8258.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s64.jpg

Trivial. It is easy to get killed too, but the enemies have been so easy to kill so far that such detail is sort of pointless.

lpbrotocolp2s65.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s66.jpg

Another annoying minigayme.

lpbrotocolp2s67.jpg

Choices and Consequences.

lpbrotocolp2s68.jpg

At least this game lacks one retarded feature that most retarded popamole shooters have: Health Regen.

lpbrotocolp2s69.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s70.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s71.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s72.jpg

Haha

lpbrotocolp2s73.jpg

Cutscene time! A truck arrives full of hostiles and the game advises for use of the laughable auto-invisibilty stealth mode.

lpbrotocolp2s74.jpg

Consoletard beacon skill gained!

Of course, I will never use it during the entirety of this LP

lpbrotocolp2s75.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s76.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s77.jpg

Screw stealth, I'll shoot everything...

There is nothing redeemable or fun about combat so far which is worse than COD4, therefore forget that.

lpbrotocolp2s78.jpg

Sneaking through the place, safely away from there.

lpbrotocolp2s79.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s80.jpg

Again, pretty easy.

lpbrotocolp2s81.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s82.jpg

Do you like crosswords?

lpbrotocolp2s83.jpg

Sneaking through the dumb cameras, we get the Alpha Brotocol Dossier and some serious cash.

lpbrotocolp2s84.jpg

Then suddenly.

lpbrotocolp2s85.jpg

They mention that they used him as a bait to be captured in this place so he could provide intelligence data for them, or something because I didn't bother paying attention to the conversation.

lpbrotocolp2s86.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s87.jpg

Being defiant is more EXTREME, so be it. Screw the bonus points for picking RECRUIT choices because that is for faggots and retards who fail so much that they'd have difficulty beating this game.

lpbrotocolp2s88.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s89.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s90.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s91.jpg

character_eli.jpg

Another somewhat familiar face. Ominous. And of course. EXTREME SHEPARD has no patience, only collar grabs ready.

lpbrotocolp2s92.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s93.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s94.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s95.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s96.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s97.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s98.jpg

Of course. The best choice.

[Sarcastic][Intelligence][Perception]

lpbrotocolp2s99.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s100.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s101.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s102.jpg

Thus, finally, first level up

lpbrotocolp2s103.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s104.jpg

Because stealth is so fucking stupid anyway and more of a LARP, we'll go full popamoling to finish this game faster, if I ever bother going to the end here.

lpbrotocolp2s105.jpg

righthook.jpg

lpbrotocolp2s106.jpg

NOTICE: I'll be using a variant of the CAD Rule for all dialogues in this game.

And thus this update ends.

Veredict of this update: The combat system is mediocre, but at least there is no insta-regeneration and so far no glaring examples of respawning enemies + checkpoints that made Modern Gayfare so fail. Game is quite easy, cover system is optional for someone who has enough twitch skills in less critical situations. Obsidian sucks at level design and the minigames are stupid. There are no evidences of existing any choices with consequences, but I'll never really know because all I experienced so far motivates me to never play this game again if I bother finishing it at all. I really don't understand the praises given to it. On the overall it is like eating a hot pocket. It is cheap, but still not complete shit.

tl;dr does this game suck?

A:

Borat-Gives-Thesis-Theme-2-Thumbs-Up.jpg

Could it still be fun despite that?

A:

album-we-four-the-best-of-the-ink-spots.jpg

Maybe you'll think of me when you are all alone
Maybe the one who is waiting for you
Will prove untrue, then what will you do?

Maybe you'll sit and sigh, wishing that I were near
Then maybe you'll ask me to come back again
And maybe I'll say "Maybe"

KalosKagathos

Learned
But it will change and things will become better later on, or is skyway totally right about this game?
As a matter of fact, you'll get to open the mystery door near the end of the game.

Achilles

Arcane
Assault rifles, pistols and Martial Arts is a pretty redundant build, you don't need all three of these skills. Should have picked another one like Sabotage or Technical Aptitude.

Radisshu

Prophet
lightbane said:
SuicideBunny said:
Darth Roxor said:
You actually managed to die in the fucking tutorial.

Good lord, you suck

Achievement unlocked: The game is too hard and you demand to be dumbed down below casual levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom