Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let us languish in Sanitarium (completed)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
update7_37.jpg

Short chapter, short update.

update8_1.jpg

So that's a kid's corpse with a Mr Clown doll behind me. Inlè blind you, game!

tbo.jpg
Just a child ... could it have died here?

Well unless someone carried the child's corpse here, tucked it in and let it rot, I would guess so, Max.

Let's walk around and explore the laboratory...

update8_2.jpg

Well that stops us there.

update8_3.jpg

But no doubt the answer is something to do with this machine.

tbo.jpg
Doesn't seem to be working. Must need power first.

update8_4.jpg

This is on the other side. Some interesting stuff there, like the radio...

radio.jpg
Today the world mourns as children who successfully responded to the HOPE drug begin to die.

Seems the MERcy company's miracle drug for...whatever...wasn't as miraculous as they'd HOPEd.

Or that painting...

tbo.jpg
Stern-looking fellow. Where do I know him from?

Let's take another look.

update8_5.jpg

Vision! I feel the game is getting less subtle in its real-world-connection from this point onwards, but that only helps thread the story together. In this chapter we learn a lot about Max' connection to Morgan, seeing his strict father in this cutscene and their studies later on.

There's something hidden in the hole behind it.

tbo.jpg
Huh. A pipe valve. Strange thing to hide behind a painting.

I agree.

Still, the valve slots into a pipe near the strange machine, and we turn the power back on.

tbo.jpg
It seems that the rotating electromagnet is linked to the stone weight. But what is the machine's purpose?

Oh-hoo-hooo. Getting all bigwordy on us. Puzzle time!

update8_6.jpg

You turn the electromagnet with the wheel at the bottom (clockwise or counter-clockwise), pull the lever to unlock the clamps on the left. Chain resets.

The clock in the cabin hints at the solution, in that you're supposed to set it to 1 and then move counterclockwise to eight, pulling the lever at each stop. However, flicking the switch at the starting position and then going clockwise flicking it at every position also works. Weird puzzle.

update8_7.jpg

It drops the weight, which opens the gate.

update8_8.jpg

Holy shit!

The horror triggers another memory. The kind Doctor Morgan eh?

Looking around, we check the blackboards.

tbo.jpg
How could anyone describe such atrocities so ... so clinically!

Actually when we get to check the blackboards in a bit, I would call them a lot of things but not clinical. Insane, more like.

There's an audio tape on the desk. How :bioshock:

update8_9.jpg

Morgan is updating his diary. He's interrupted by his goons in the next bit.

update8_10.jpg

update8_11.jpg

The chalkboards contain the code! To what? Let's check the door...

tbo.jpg
There's some kind of electronic security system on this door.

Ah, ok. It requires a spoken security code. Let's check the chalkboards...

tbo.jpg
I have a feeling there's a message hidden in this rambling mess.

And now it's a rambling mess? Well it is a more accurate description.

Not a hard puzzle: you can select the capital letters of the first word in each sentence, and then reorder them to form words.

See how you do on the few screens I could get when FRAPS co-operated with Sanitarium.

update8_12.jpg

update8_13.jpg

update8_14.jpg

Third screen's incomplete, sorry. Blame FRAPS.

That is:
SALVATION
THE YOUTH
KEY HIDES TO

tbo.jpg
Youth hides the key to salvation.

*click*!

Hurray, hurray! I'm free! Free!!!

Oh fuck me!!!

I hope Morgan doesn't expect me to trust him, damn fetus-experimentator!

update8_15.jpg

And boom, next chapter. Back to the phantasmagorical!

lightbane

Arcane
Freud would love this game (seriously, we need more games as fucked up as this one).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
update8_15.jpg

Back to the phantasmagorical. We've seen Grimwall's Hive comic before in the flashbacks in Chapter 2, and Grimwall again in Max's room in Chapter 4. Also, Martin threw up some hints in the Tower Cell chapter.

update9_1.jpg

So of course, now we play as Grimwall. In the Hive comic. It opens up with him struggling free from the...giant insectoid body to strangle the smaller insect, which can be seen at his...feet? Hooves? This is going to be confusing.

update9_2.jpg

Access denied!

Trapped? Let's check the insect we strangled...

grimwall.jpg
Hmph. This thing has some kind of mechanical harness!

Yoink! Note this is the "bugs are machines" thing Martin referred to.

grimwall.jpg
Wearing this harness, perhaps they'll think I'm one of them. It's worth a try.

update9_3.jpg

darkhelmet.jpg
Fooled you!

update9_4.jpg

Further down we find this machine.

update9_5.jpg

And these kind of buildings. Took me a moment before I figured you have to click the off-colour (greenish) button to open it. There's two to the south but they're locked, and one more to the east. We'll head into this one first. Inside we find...

update9_6.jpg

grimwall.jpg
The insect is performing a grotesque experiment ... putting bits of machinery into the child.

Business as usual.

Let's talk to the cyclops, who looks like he's the same species as Grimwall though without the horn.

update9_7.jpg

grimwall.jpg
Grimwall? Is that my name? I don't remember much. Just waking up in this hive...and having to battle a few insectoids. I had to use this strange device that I found on the large one, just to pass their security forces.

gravin.jpg
It's an ID harness. Gromna built them for the insectoids since they lost their sight. With that on, you look like another bug to them. That's why they're not swarming all over you.

gravin.jpg
Look, my name is Gravin. We need to talk more ... but until the work slows down, I'm stuck here. Afterwards I'm going back to my pod --- we can meet there. My pod's globe code is 'Grenesir'. Use it if you need to get in there for anything.

Let's try that then. I first pick up the pincer hanging on the north wall. Picking up stuff is good.

update9_8.jpg

It opens.

update9_9.jpg

Yaaaay! Bugs go squash! I also pick up his tools. Should come in handy, sure he won't mind. I am a hero after all :smug:

The screen fills us in on what's going on.

Gromna, huh? That couldn't be an anagram of a certain doctor we know very well, could it? We've already seen disturbing stuff concerning children, we just saw a load of baby fetuses ready for experimentation, we've heard of the HOPE drug. Recall everything that's happening here is an analogy to Max' past (as the game makes more and more obvious). Just keep it in mind and thread it together. If you played this game feel free to post the normal :smug: material, but stay away from spoilers eh.

Oh I forgot, the Queen's Chamber is up north but it doesn't let us in because it recognizes us as a drone guard class. We'll probably need to upgrade the bit of insect armor we stole. We should ask Gravin.

gravin.jpg
Look, I'm too busy to talk now! The couriers are delivering embers from the furnace at a fantastic rate. I'll meet you later in my pod when they shut the furnace down ... if they shut the furnace down.

So, one building left, to the east. It's probably the furnace...

update9_10.jpg

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!
Notice the bug draggin a body on top there. He tosses it into the oven and keeps carrying in fresh ones.

grimwallshepard.jpg
Ugh! I can hardly stand to look at these beasts!

Agreed. But they see us as a drone, so we can safely talk to them.

grimwall.jpg
Who are you?

chik-nik.jpg
Chik-nik. Furnace operator. Why do you ask, guard drone? Why are you here?

grimwall.jpg
I'm here to ... inspect the furnace.

update9_11.jpg

grimwall.jpg
(What) What is your function?

Pop quiz!

chik-nik.jpg
To regulate the flow of air into the furnace.

grimwall.jpg
(Furnace) What is the purpose of this furnace?

update9_12.jpg

Built by Gromna? In case you hadn't noticed yet, something is amiss here.

grimwall.jpg
(Ember) Where does the ember come from?

chik-nik.jpg
We found deposits of it within the mountain while we were tunneling our way up to the surface. When Gromna joined our cause, he recognized it as a possible power source for cybernetics, if reduced to its purest form.

grimwall.jpg
(Regulate) How do you regulate the temperature?

chik-nik.jpg
It's very complicated. You'd need to be at least the level of Operator to understand it, and you are still merely a drone guard.

Yeah well, so's your face.

grimwall.jpg
(Operator) How do I become an Operator?

update9_13.jpg

grimwall.jpg
What about those bellows over there?

update9_14.jpg

Man this bug talks a lot...

grimwalloface.jpg
(Children) Are those Cyclopean children being thrown in?!

chik-nik.jpg
Don't be so alarmed. According to Gromna, they won't pollute the ember.

Oh, well that's ok then...WAIT WHAT?!

grimwallshepard.jpg
Where do they come from? And why burn them?!

Go Shepard on his ass, Grimwall!

update9_15.jpg

You shall all die for this. See the patch on the pipe near the bellows? Let's check it out...

grimwall.jpg
Hmm. This pipe has been fixed recently - though not too well.

Well since I really don't feel like waiting around until Gravin is free, and because this furnace pisses me off...

update9_16.jpg

WACKO!

chik-nik.jpg
Drones! Stop the bellows! Seal the pipe! To continue pumping with that damage would overheat the furnace!

orly?

update9_17.jpg

A vent opens and...

update9_18.jpg

Chik-Nik burns! :smug:

grimwall.jpg
With that bug gone, I can reach the controls. I'll shut down this abominable furnace.

Good. He dropped his mechanized arm, and we pick it up.

grimwall.jpg
Hmm. This insect is hooked up to a machine, and the levers must control the furnace.

Fitting for this disgusting hive. It's all biomechanics.

grimwall.jpg
Hmm. This is more complex than I imagined. There appear to be many controls, all interrelated.

update9_19.jpg

So...the first set of buttons change the colours under his wings (red, blue or green), while the second set has him fold his left or right wings in out (he has six wins in total). Basically, the light shines through the wings and reveal certain markings, which you have to match up to the symbols to the left.
You don't have to match up both wings simultaneously and it's easy enough to see when you just have to add or subtract a wing, so this puzzle isn't as annoying as it could be. The only real pain is when you're trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to do, initially.

update9_20.jpg

Hurray!

grimwall.jpg
No more embers will be delivered now. I'm certain I'll find Gravin resting in his pod.

Let us see...

update9_21.jpg

grimwall.jpg
No ... I don't remember much of anything. I wouldn't even know my own name, if you hadn't told me.

gravin.jpg
Every cyclopean child knows the name of Grimwall! You're the great hero of the War of the One!

grimwall.jpg
(War) War of the One? Can you tell me about it?

update9_22.jpg

update9_23.jpg

grimwall.jpg
(Won) If we won, then why are these things back above ground?

gravin.jpg
No one really knows. Actually, no one really believed the story of the War of the One, or thought that there were any insectoids ... until now.

grimwall.jpg
(Furnace) That evil machine will be silent for a while!

gravin.jpg
Evil? It's just a furnace...isn't it?

Typical consoletard.

grimwallshepard.jpg
The thing was burning children, Gravin! Cyclopean children!

gravin.jpg
What?! But how can this be? Gromna would never allow such a thing to happen?

grimwallshepard.jpg
(Gromna) Gromna...that's the name the bugs were using at the furnace! They said he's giving the orders to burn the children's bodies!

If I ever meet this Grimwall, you'd damn well better believe I'll collar grab him until he dies from it.

gravin.jpg
That's absurd!! He's my mentor ... a brilliant entomologist! He'd never -

FFS stop the lies

grimwall.jpg
Ento- what?

update9_24.jpg

grimwallshepard.jpg
Mission?! What mission!? What the hell is going on here?!

update9_25.jpg

Man this is a wordy update.

grimwall.jpg
(Absurd) I tell you it's true, Gravin. Something is terribly wrong here and I think this Gromna person is somehow involved. You must help me!

Wait, how does the keyword "absurd" tie to that?

gravin.jpg
I'm sorry, but I can't ... Not unless you have some physical proof to back up these wild accusations!

FFS. I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.
As we exit dialogue...

gravin.jpg
Take my advice, that harness you're wearing won't get you past every security device. You might want to see the cyber-technician for an upgrade.

Thanks.
The cyber-technican would be the insect-machine that was raping the human baby with technology. Thankfully he's done with technoraping the baby for now.

grimwall.jpg
Who are you?

chik-tok.jpg
Chik-tok. Cybernetic technician.

grimwall.jpg
(What) What is your function?

chik-tok.jpg
To intergrate cybernetic enhancements to the flesh.

grimwall.jpg
(Cybernetics) Who designed these robotics?

chik-tok.jpg
Gromna, honorable assistant to Her Majesty.

grimwall.jpg
Where is he?

chik-tok.jpg
He is within the Queen's chambers. Since it is the Eve of Retribution, there is much preparation required. His plan must be executed perfectly.

grimwall.jpg
(Eve) Eve of Retribution?

update9_26.jpg

grimwall.jpg
(Plan) What plan do you speak of?

update9_27.jpg

grimwall.jpg
(Gift) How will this gift aid us? Are we not mighty enough to conquer the cyclops without them?

update9_28.jpg

Seriously wordy update.

So anyway, enough chitchat. Upgrade, please.

grimwall.jpg
I require my ID harness to be upgraded.

chik-tok.jpg
Upon whose authorization will I grant this procedure?

Whose whatnow?

grimwall.jpg
Umm ...

chik-tok.jpg
You delay in your response. I am busy. Return when you can produce the proper authorization.

Ffffff...

Maybe Gravin knows.

grimwall.jpg
(Authorization) Gravin, Chik-tok requires authorization to upgrade my ID harness. Who can do that?

update9_29.jpg

grimwall.jpg
What should I say?

gravin.jpg
Tell him that your authorization comes from Gravin, protégé of Gromna, honorable assistant to her Majesty. That should do it.

Right, attempt number two.

grimwall.jpg
I require my ID harness to be upgraded.

chik-tok.jpg
Upon whose authorization will I grant this procedure?

grimwall.jpg
Gravin, protégé of Gromna, honorable assistant to her Majesty.

update9_30.jpg

Limb scanner eh? Good thing I was clever enough to steal an exploded worm's mechanical limb earlier.

update9_31.jpg

update9_32.jpg

The upgrade is, of course, analogous to Max' career. As shown here.

sophia.jpg
The great Nur-Ab-Sal shall provide us with a cure!

grimwall.jpg
Aaa! There's a fire in my brain!

Yeah, all that Aztec bs got to me too. Not the last we'll see of it. Mild :decline: but oh well.

update9_33.jpg

What shall we find behind that door?! Well, we shall find that out once we've recovered from this overly wordy update.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I remember finishing this game, but I cannot recall anything about this insects world, strange.

taplonaplo

Scholar
The first thing i thought when i was lookin at those screenies was PS:T... looks awesome.
I think i will have to reread the whole LP coz i can't follow shit anymore.
Anyway, please go on!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The game doesn't exactly explain things in a linear fashion, tap, we're not supposed to understand everything yet, but in broad lines the plot should be clear. The gaps in updates don't help follow it obv, so feel free to ask any questions you have.

Zdzisiu said:
I remember finishing this game, but I cannot recall anything about this insects world, strange.

Odd, the next bit is p memorable.

lightbane

Arcane
It's more than fucked-up. Seriously, children's suffering and being mistreated/tortured is a constant in this game (and yet the game was never censored or stuff like that, possibly because it had zero advertising :decline: ).

taplonaplo

Scholar
Brother None said:
The game doesn't exactly explain things in a linear fashion, tap, we're not supposed to understand everything yet, but in broad lines the plot should be clear. The gaps in updates don't help follow it obv, so feel free to ask any questions you have.
It's fine, besides it was fun to reread it. Now i'm even more excited for the story to unravel (and how).

marooned

Liturgist
Great LP. I've been following since the begining with great interest. I hope you're planning to keep this pace.

I played this game right up to this point, the Hive. I couldn't get past that colourful insectoid puzzle. Seriously, I had no idea what I had to do. My interest finally died when I lost the 3rd CD.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You can play as a horned cyclops with 4 arms and hooves. What more can you ask ?

lightbane

Arcane
ghostdog said:
You can play as a horned cyclops with 4 arms and hooves. What more can you ask ?

Later you'll be able to play as an
Aztec demigod, sadly it isn't as cool.

Cassidy

Arcane
I wonder what a game revolving around Cleve's ideas that follow the same formula of this one would look like.

Drakron

Arcane
Sander said:
This game is fucked up.

Tell me about it, I remember playing the demo and even I own it for quite some time I never gone around to play it because I remember the demo.

lightbane

Arcane
Drakron said:
Sander said:
This game is fucked up.

Tell me about it, I remember playing the demo and even I own it for quite some time I never gone around to play it because I remember the demo.

Oh yes, is indeed "a bit" scary. Cthulhu would fap... I mean would like this game. Anyways, moar!

zeitgeist

Magister
This is a great LP, Sanitarium is one of my favorite adventure games and I haven't played it for quite a while. The atmosphere of the game is great, and the puzzles aren't even too illogical/random most of the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom