Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima VII...on the Super Nintendo - COMPLETED!

Silellak

Cipher
ghostdog said:
Welcome back !

LP necromancy is strong these days...
Thanks! Though technically the necromancy was last week.

lightbane

Arcane
So, that monk was selling weapons (technically a smoke bomb counts)... Well, it could be worse, it could be ultima 9...

Silellak

Cipher
lightbane said:
So, that monk was selling weapons (technically a smoke bomb counts)... Well, it could be worse, it could be ultima 9...
Almost makes me wonder if a console port of Ultima 9 would paradoxically wrap back around and end up good. Anything's possible!

Silellak

Cipher
Part 13: In which we visit the Ruined City of Skara Brae and embrace our inner Ghostbuster

Off to New Magincia, City of Humility!
U7_SNES_13_0.JPG

Even their taverns are humble!
U7_SNES_13_1.JPG

I took the following screenshot just to reiterate how awful the writing is and how ridiculous it is that everyone in the fucking world knows you're the Avatar and treats you as such. I'd hate for you all to forget just what I'm going through.
U7_SNES_13_2.JPG

Regarding Alagner:
U7_SNES_13_3.JPG

Speaking of Alagner...
U7_SNES_13_4.JPG

Gasp! He's alive not kidnapped!

And he doesn't have a high opinion of wisps:
U7_SNES_13_5.JPG

Fucking racist.

He's also no fan of muppets:
U7_SNES_13_6.JPG

Before I can get this fat douche's notebook, he's going to make me go on a quest. Surprising!
U7_SNES_13_7.JPG

At least it's the same quest as in the PC version.
U7_SNES_13_8.JPG

Also on the list of things Alagner doesn't like: the Fellowship...
U7_SNES_13_9.JPG

...and by extension, Batlin.
U7_SNES_13_10.JPG

Of course, he has a basement full of monsters like everyone else in Britannia, and apparently this particular basemeent has a door leading to a dungeon:
U7_SNES_13_11.JPG

I have absolutely no idea what the Dungeon Sagatious is, except that I'm pretty sure it's never been in any other Ultima game ever. I'm also not sure why this fuckwit has a door in his basement leading to it, but I guess I should just be grateful he was kind enough to label it.

There are a few other NPCs (more than in most towns, actually) but most are just talking about the coming Spring celebration or some bullshit. A florist who sells her flowers over by the docks (k?) says she saw the Crown Jewel and Hook come through town recently, though:
U7_SNES_13_12.JPG

Foreshadowing?!?!?

Yes.

Oh, and the Guardian is acting like an ex-girlfriend again, for some reason:
U7_SNES_13_13.JPG

Alright then. On to Skara Brae!

Now, instead of just taking my ship there, I'm going to see if the Creepy Fairyman (the only way to get to Skara Brae in the PC version) is present in the SNES version.

Here's an exerpt from his Ultima Wiki entry:

The Ferryman of Skara Brae is met in Ultima VII. A mysterious and scary looking, yet peaceful entity waiting for people to use his services.
The Ferryman was summoned by Horance when he called the dead of Skara Brae some time after Ultima VI. Since then, he would stay at the Ferry Station at the Misty Channel, to bring people from and to Skara Brae for a small fee.
If you're thinking "boy, that sounds way too interesting for this game!"...you'd be correct. Apparently there is no Ferryman in this version, so we use the ridiculously stupid old-fashioned method.
U7_SNES_13_14.JPG

Ah, the ruined, haunted city of Skara Brae. One of the most memorable and atmospheric moments in Ultima 7. For a long-time Ultima fan, seeing a series mainstay like Skara Brae in ruins was a truly powerful image. All of this, I believe, is captured incredibly well in the SNES version - at least when one considers the inherent limitations of the platform. I knew I was in for something special when I read the first sign just a few steps away from the dock.
U7_SNES_13_15.JPG

Truly, there are few other examples I can think of where the English language managed to say so much with so little.

I am quickly greeted by what is apparently this version's interpretation of the Ferryman character:
U7_SNES_13_16.JPG

Who is now named Beynard. That's pretty awesome.
U7_SNES_13_17.JPG

Rudolfo? Skara Brae is apparently the City of Retarded Names.
U7_SNES_13_18.JPG

Uh. I have a feeling the SNES version of this quest might be deviating from the PC version slightly.
U7_SNES_13_19.JPG

Someone like the Avatar maybe? What, don't you know? Every other NPC in this game does.
U7_SNES_13_20.JPG

Whoops, spoke too soon.

The muppet makes his second appearance of the night:
U7_SNES_13_21.JPG

Uh, no? Maybe the quality of the writing is a bit frightening, but other than that, it looks like every other city I've visited. Even the happy-go-lucky overworld music that plays at all other times is still going. Not exactly scary stuff here, Big Red.

Seriously, this is the "ruined city" of Skara Brae:
U7_SNES_13_22.JPG

All the buildings are intact. Sure, there are skeletons attacking me, but there's literally skeletons in every basement of every city in Britannia. Not exactly surprising at this point.

I know it's not really fair at this point, but let's compare it to Skara Brea in the PC version:
SkaraBreaPC.JPG

...yeah.

A couple of notes in the Courthouse illustrate this game's totally-not-forced-at-all sense of humor is still going strong.
U7_SNES_13_23.JPG

U7_SNES_13_24.JPG

drhousenotamused.jpg

I run across a couple of ghosts, but they ignore me:
U7_SNES_13_25.JPG

I finally find the bitch I was looking for:
U7_SNES_13_26.JPG

Apparently, in this LP, the part of Horance will be played by "Rudolfo".

For the uninitiated (and shame on you), here's a brief history of Horance, a fairly tragic character from Ultima 6 and 7 who was a large part of this quest in the PC version:
In his earlier years, he was kindhearted with a passion for magic and writing poetry. The people of Skara Brae initially felt safely protected by his presence. As the years wore on, however, Horance's mind began to deteriorate into a senile shadow of his former self. His poetry became a "rhyming doggerel" and the only form in which he would speak. His demonstrations of magic also became increasingly violent, provoking fear from his fellow citizens. It was in this state that he was encountered in Ultima VI, living as a recluse and trading destructive spells with the Avatar.

After a time, Horance had the Dark Tower erected upon the northwestern tip of Skara Brae and completely confined himself within its walls. The mage eventually descended into total madness from years of isolation, his existence dominated by an obsession with discovering the secret to immortality. Though finally able to divine its formula, it ultimately came at the dreadful cost of his becoming one with a malevolent, power-hungry liche. He began to raise the dead from their graves in order to do his ghastly bidding, of which included abducting Rowena, wife of Trent the blacksmith. Rowena was killed in the struggle and the distraught inhabitants of Skara Brae, in an effort to put an end to these horrors, formulated a plan to destroy the Liche. However, it went horribly awry and resulted in a colossal fire burning the entire island to the ground, leaving no survivors.

When the Avatar met Horance the Liche in Ultima VII, he had become a powerful megalomaniac, effectively controlling all undead on the island and leeching the essence of its spectral townsfolk to further his dark existence and overtake Britannia. With the Soul Cage and a properly concocted Liche Potion, however, the Avatar managed to destroy the vile magicks corrupting Horance and freed him from their grasp. Upon the subsequent destruction of the Well of Souls, the spirits it once held captive were released to their destinies, with Horance vowing to remain in Skara Brae and restore the island city of Spirituality to its former beauty.

Needless to say, the SNES version has been dumbed down streamlined:
U7_SNES_13_27.JPG

U7_SNES_13_28.JPG

U7_SNES_13_29.JPG

U7_SNES_13_30.JPG

U7_SNES_13_31.JPG

Now that we can talk to Ghosts, we can finally talk to Cain - the entire reason we came to Skara Brae in the first place.
Cain.jpg

Whoops, wrong Cain.
smiley.JPG

U7_SNES_13_32.JPG

Sigh. Who the fuck wrote this shit? I seriously hope they didn't get a job as a writer of anything else anywhere ever after this shitfest.

Unsurprisingly, Cain won't give me the answers I need unless fix the Rudolfo problem.
U7_SNES_13_33.JPG

He does at least give me a magic formula to help destroy Rudolfo:
U7_SNES_13_34.JPG

U7_SNES_13_35.JPG

I love how this entire plan hinges on the fact that Rudolfo is a fucking idiot who will only attack me once I have the only item that can entrap him.
:thumbsup:

Also, why the Hell am I trusting a creepy fuck who look likes the Joker without makeup, anyway?
U7_SNES_13_36.JPG

JokerFace.jpg

Ah well. Let's get our
ghostbusters.jpg

on.

We get a music box from the blacksmith Trent in order to help remind his girlfriend Rowena of him...
U7_SNES_13_37.JPG

...and encounter the Evil Rudolfo in a dungen below the city who says Rowena can't leave him...
U7_SNES_13_38.JPG

U7_SNES_13_39.JPG

...and in case you're wondering, no, I can't just attack him right now.
U7_SNES_13_40.JPG

Anyway, we show Rowena the music box and get her ring...
U7_SNES_13_41.JPG

...which we show to Trent to get the Magic Cage...
U7_SNES_13_42.JPG

U7_SNES_13_43.JPG

...thus making Rudoflo hostile next time we go to see him...
U7_SNES_13_44.JPG

...we kill him and take his bones...
U7_SNES_13_45.JPG

...drop them in the well...
U7_SNES_13_46.JPG

...and use the formula, creating our own pet bald man!
U7_SNES_13_47.JPG

U7_SNES_13_48.JPG

Hey cool, Rudolfo is Horrance now! For some reason!
U7_SNES_13_49.JPG

Great success!!
ghostbusters_dance.jpg

Now to ask Cain about the Answer so we can get back to Alagner and get the fat fuck's notebook.
U7_SNES_13_50.JPG

I would love to :rage: here, but this is the same thing as the PC version, so we'll let it slide. Besides, the quest might've been dumbed down streamlined quite a bit, but it's not I had to do an unexpected dungeon crawl or anything, right? Maybe this game isn't so bad after all.
U7_SNES_13_51.JPG

U7_SNES_13_52.JPG

ARGH.
MushroomCloudFinger.jpg

Guess we're off to explore the Dungeon Sagatious after all...

...next time!

Silellak

Cipher
Azira said:
Oh my, this is bad.. :retarded:
Just be grateful you only see the pictures - I'm pretty sure the "overworld exploration theme" that plays over 95% of the game (and can be experienced in my brief YouTube video) is going to be forever burned into my mind.

I suppose its rape of a classical musical theme from Ultima is rather symbolic of the game itself, though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The way this is going, I fully expect the final battle involving you having to beat the Guardian himself in combat in order to win the game. Once you've done that, the game ends with a brief text-only outro.

Luzur

Good Sir
Dungeon Sagatious? never heard of it before or seen it in any pf the PC/C64/Amiga Ultima games.

must be some sort of bonus dungeon only for the Snes version.

Silellak

Cipher
Unkillable Cat said:
The way this is going, I fully expect the final battle involving you having to beat the Guardian himself in combat in order to win the game. Once you've done that, the game ends with a brief text-only outro.
Personally, I'm looking forward to rescuing all the "kidnappping" victims. :smug:

ecliptic said:
Like herpes, this is the LP that keeps giving.
Thanks! I've always wanted to give someone herpes.
smiley.JPG

Luzur said:
Dungeon Sagatious? never heard of it before or seen it in any pf the PC/C64/Amiga Ultima games.

must be some sort of bonus dungeon only for the Snes version.
OMG! Bonus content! Yet another way the SNES version proves its superiority to all other things Ultima.

Yggdrasil said:
Keep on doing the good thing. :salute:
:salute:

Alex

Arcane
Hey, Silellak, nice thread.

I just wanted to point out that the talking, jailed troll who could communicate with the Guardian was also in the PC version.

Silellak

Cipher
Alex said:
Hey, Silellak, nice thread.

I just wanted to point out that the talking, jailed troll who could communicate with the Guardian was also in the PC version.
Thanks! And yeah, I actually realized that after posting the LP - I looked it up on Ultima Wiki because I was curious. The original rant about that particular moment was longer and more expletive-filled...I toned it down a bit after finding out.

Silellak

Cipher
Part 14: In which we explore the worst dungeon to date, meet Dr. Who, and there is another fiendish murder kidnapping

Time to explore the Dungeon Sagatious. As I mentioned in the last update, this dungeon didn't even exist in the PC version - Alagner just gives you a key to his storage shed that has a few puzzles you need to bypass. But we get a full dungeon - so hey, console-exclusive content!
:thumbsup:

As per the other dungeons in this game, the way out is not the way in. Also, for some reason they chose the cave tileset, even though it's directly connected to Alagner's basement through a magically locked door.
U7_SNES_14_0.JPG

So I guess the developers' logic was: mountain cave inhabited by dragons = manmade dungeon tileset. Dungeon directly under a city, attached to someone's basement = natural cavern tileset. I honestly think they just had a separate team responsible for creating stand-alone "dungeon" areas and then just stuck them in the gameworld wherever they needed a dungeon crawl.

The room we're in starts off with two unique keys and two locked doors. Tricky puzzle.

Beyond that, it's your standard dungeon. Stock monsters, locked doors, treasure.
U7_SNES_14_1.JPG

Nothing particular unique about it, except that it's attached to some fat guy's basement. I guess I should just be lucky it's not filled with things like this:
sexdungeon.jpg

Eventually my aimless wandering leads me to another uniquely locked door, guarded by a couple of headless.
U7_SNES_14_2.JPG

This is seriously the least interesting dungeon I've been in, in a game full of incredibly boring (banal, shit) dungeons. It's just a relatively simple maze with low-level enemies and the occasional locked door. Does "Sagatious" mean "pointless as fuck"?

The only nice thing about being in a dungeon is that at least the fucking music changes.

Eventually a couple of gazers try to liven things up:
U7_SNES_14_3.JPG

But even in my half-asleep-from-boredom state, they are no match for me.

Then there's this:
U7_SNES_14_4.JPG

No, you're not reading that wrong. That is, in fact, a barrel of dirt. The game has gotten so bored of itself its actually throwing containers of dirt at me.

Finally, I see what looks to be the journal, guarded by snakes (k?), but lack the proper key to reach it.
U7_SNES_14_5.JPG

Fortunately there's another entrance to the room that is just magically locked, and the journal is ours for the taking!
U7_SNES_14_6.JPG

Let's take a peek and see what's so valuable to the interdimensional wisps:
U7_SNES_14_7.JPG

U7_SNES_14_8.JPG

U7_SNES_14_9.JPG

:lol: Oh wow. Did he really name his notebook "My Notebook"? Not sure the city of Humility is the best place for you, my fat friend.
smiley.JPG

For comparison, here is the PC version of Alagner's notebook - also titled "My Notebook. Apparently his vanity cannot be contained by any one gaming platform:
notebook1.png

notebook2.png

notebook3.png

notebook4.png

Why would anyone want all that stupid text?! Streamlining is awesome. All we needed to know was that Alagner has connected the Guardian and the Fellowship. Looks like he's a regular
sherlock.jpg

Alright, time to get the fuck out of here and get back to the Wisps.

The way out of this dungeon is guarded by a Cyclops.
U7_SNES_14_10.JPG

A Cyclops. In a dungeon hidden away in a fat guy's basement. Well, of course!

We teleport sail back to Yew for another talk with our glowing blue friends. I am excited, if only because it means the music will change again for a few moments.

Before I find the Wisps, though, I randomly stumble across a teasure chest in the forest. A treasure chest that's on fire.
U7_SNES_14_11.JPG

Fuck yeah. Fire is awesome. And inside...
U7_SNES_14_12.JPG

I don't know what a "Hail Storm Amulet" is, but I fucking want it.

Unfortunately, there's no "amulet" armor slot, and my attempts to use it as a weapon are futile.
:(

Finally, I find the damn Wisp again.
U7_SNES_14_13.JPG

Go go Gadget Exposition!
Inspector_Gadget.jpg

U7_SNES_14_14.JPG

But wait! I thought the Guardian was the personification of all the evil the Avatar 'purified' himself of at the end of Ultima 4, which then left him and then coalesced into a being of pure evil known as the "Guardian" no wait that's too fucking stupid even for this game.
U7_SNES_14_15.JPG

U7_SNES_14_16.JPG

Hmm, Astronomical Alignment? Where have I heard that before?
alignment.jpg

Ah, right.
U7_SNES_14_17.JPG

Time Lord?!
timelord.jpg

So what about that "Orb of the Moons" thing I've been carrying around since the murder kidnapping in Trinsic?
U7_SNES_14_18.JPG

Well that was easy. Let's pay the good Doctor a visit.
U7_SNES_14_19.JPG

Not quite a TARDIS - Hell, not even blue - but I guess it'll do.

Right as we show up...
U7_SNES_14_20.JPG

...our needy ex-girlfriend leaves a voicemail to let us know she's jealous.
U7_SNES_14_21.JPG

Fun fact: the "standard indoor town" music is playing right now. So the wisps in the forest get a unique musical cue for their twice-in-the-game appearance, but they couldn't just reuse that music for the Time Lord.

Oh well, let's get our Exposition on:
U7_SNES_14_22_TL.jpg

U7_SNES_14_23_TL.jpg

U7_SNES_14_24_TL.jpg

U7_SNES_14_25_TL.jpg

Free you?! But the Guardian just said I shouldn't trust you! Why should I believe you, over the creepy red talking face who randomly shows up in my head and tries to get me killed?!
U7_SNES_14_26_TL.jpg

Murdered?! Kidnapped?! By Elizabeth and Abraham?!
U7_SNES_14_27_TL.jpg

It's a Nintendo game, with the Seal of Approval and everything. I think he'll be okay.

I guess we can go check on him before dropping by Penumbra's, though.
Alagner.png

OH GOD THE BLOOD! THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE!!!

...wait, wrong game. Sorry.
U7_SNES_14_28.JPG

Yeah, that's more like it.

I guess the lack of a crystal ball in Alagner's house is why the Time Lord had to tell me Alagner was kidnapped and who kidnapped him, using Magic Jesus Powers or whatever. Nice how he can see what's going on in Britannia in real time, but has to send me to Moonglow to figure out how to free himself. It's a damn shame, too, because the "crystal ball" thing is one of the cooler moments in the PC version:
crystalball.png

Speaking of Penumbra, I guess we should teleport sail to Moonglow.

Unfortunately, as you may recall Penumbra is in a magically-induced sleep...
U7_SNES_14_29.JPG

...and since there's no Awaken spell in this game, I have to go pay a thousand gold for an Awaken potion that's conveniently sold in-town.
U7_SNES_14_30.JPG

Sigh.
U7_SNES_14_31.JPG

U7_SNES_14_32.JPG

"What have I done?" Hey, fuck you, lady. What I've just done is spent a solid G to wake your lazy ass up.
U7_SNES_14_33.JPG

U7_SNES_14_34.JPG

U7_SNES_14_35.JPG

Uh oh, sounds like another stupid dungeon crawl...
U7_SNES_14_36.JPG

...that I fortunately completed in a previous update.

amulet.jpg

Guess now I know what that random item is for.

Best quest ever!
celebrate-1.jpg

U7_SNES_14_37.JPG

U7_SNES_14_38.JPG

...oh God damnit. So much for avoiding a dungeon crawl, since as you may remember:
U7_SNES_10_52.JPG

disappointed.jpg

The Guardian sends us a quick hello as we arrive on Spektran:
U7_SNES_14_39.JPG

A sign just off the dock reinforces the point:
U7_SNES_14_40.JPG

I am very worried.

The inside of (what I presume is supposed to be) Sutek's Keep on Skeptran looks more ruined than the ruined city of Skara Brae.
U7_SNES_14_41.JPG

Sadly, it appears the amusing character of Matingo, Sultan of Spektran, is not in the SNES version. I'm almost surprised the designers didn't take the opportunity for Massive Lol's.
smiley.JPG

It also appears that this entrance is a dead-end, until I find that I can push one of the plants, revealing a hidden door behind the book case.
U7_SNES_14_42.JPG

...was...was that a moderately clever little puzzle? In this game? Surely it must be some sort of accident. I bet someone was fired over it.

On the second floor, I am attacked by a Stone Gargoyle:
U7_SNES_14_43.JPG

Nothing incredible, but at least it was a new enemy, and it's straight out of the PC version...more or less.

I was actually starting to hope that maybe this was, in fact, the "Dungeon of Unknown Fears", until I reached the third floor with a sign next to a ladder:
U7_SNES_14_44.JPG

Damn. Guess we aren't avoiding the dungeon crawl after all. Time to face our Unknown Fears...

...next time!

Note: Ultima VII PC screenshots courtesy of Nakar's Ultima VII LP: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Ultima VII/index.html Thanks, person who will probably never read this!
:love:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Alagner was kidnapped? WTF?

Also, thank you for suffering for our pleasure. This LP is made all the better by how terrible the game is.

Heresiarch

Prophet
You're so mannish, Silellak. May I become your sex slave? I promise my anus is still virgin.

Silellak

Cipher
Part 15: In which we face Fears of the Unknown variety, abuse Internet memes, and face our toughest foe yet

It is time to face our Unknown Fears and locate the Ethereal Ring!

Hey, look, it's our second (or maybe third - I'm too lazy to look it up) dungeon where the entrance and the exit are at the same location!
U7_SNES_15_0.JPG

Innovation!!

Apparently "Unknown Fears" consist of ghosts and skeletons - mobile and otherwise.
U7_SNES_15_1.JPG

As in Skara Brae, somehow the effect of seeing the Undead is lessoned when they're in pretty much every basement on the continent.

Time for Lessons in Dungeon Design with Professor Silellak! Notice the hole in the wall here?
U7_SNES_15_2.JPG

It leads to the following exit:
U7_SNES_15_3.JPG

Like so many other issues in the game, this sort of awful design is relatively common, I just haven't bothered to point it out until now. And while it's theoretically possible there's some long, unseen passage between these two entrances...why not just flip the room so it makes sense? Oh right, because it's easier to just teleport the PC to the next location rather than create an actual doorway system and a coherent dungeon layout. Honestly the dungeons in this game are so nonsenstical I usually don't even bother to create a mental map...it's just as effective to aimlessly wander until I find the Generic Quest Item.

I suppose complaining about the physics of passageways in caves is rather pointless in a game where you can't even exit most dungeons the way you enter them.

Sure enough, about five minutes of wandering and the "boss battle" music starts to play, right as I find a chest guarded by another stone harpy.
U7_SNES_15_4.JPG

I kill the harpy, take her ruby key...
U7_SNES_15_5.JPG

...enter the treasure chamber and am congratulated by the Bipolar Muppet...
U7_SNES_15_6.JPG

...and locate the Ethereal Ring...
U7_SNES_15_7.JPG

I make my way back up the ladder and off the island without any issue. That wasn't particularly Unknown or Fear-incuding - Hell, there weren't even any new monsters - but I suppose that's about par for the course. Back to Penumbra!

...at least once my magic meter recharges. Apparently using the Magic Boat actually drains mana, I just never realized it because I'd never tried to use it with an empty meter.
U7_SNES_15_8.JPG

frustrated.jpg

Luckily, Vas Fuk Dis doesn't require any magic beyond the Magic of Emulation, so we are quickly off to Moonglow.

We have Penumbra enchant the ring...
U7_SNES_15_9.JPG

...and she sends us on our next dungeon crawl.
U7_SNES_15_10.JPG

Though there is a minor bit of :incline: here because at least Deceit is a real Ultima dungeon.
U7_SNES_15_11.JPG

So, I have to find and destroy the Tetrahedron to free
timelord.jpg

Let's do this thing. Here's a brief history on Deceit for the unitiated.

Deceit is a dungeon located on the small Janus Island, near Dagger Isle and north of Verity Isle. Dungeon Deceit is a horrible location. Not only is it home to many nasty monsters, like harpies and dragons who dislike intruders into their domain, but also a maze full of deadly traps and false leads. Many haven't returned from Deceit; their remains cluttering the corridors of the underground complex as a warning of the dangers that await in its depths. However, as horrible as Deceit is, it is also a good place to find good treasure.

Only experienced adventurers should dare to enter, or they will fare the same fate as all the others who had entered and never returned from its depths in their thirst for treasure.
Wow, so they got the location right and everything well, at least the location!

To Janus Island!
U7_SNES_15_12.JPG

Who the fuck built this dock, anyway? I guess the trolls who attacked me on arrival.
U7_SNES_15_13.JPG

U7_SNES_15_14.JPG

Not welcome?! But there was a dock and everything!

And here is Deceit.
U7_SNES_15_15.JPG

Yes, there really is the equivalent of a Middle Ages Sticky Note attached to the side of the dungeon.
U7_SNES_15_16.JPG

...there really aren't enough facepalm images on the entire Internet for this LP.

...but that isn't going to stop me from trying.
facepalm.jpg

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

jesus_facepalm.jpg

facepalm_bear.jpg

tactical_facepalm.jpg

facepalm_implied_super.jpg

uber_facepalm.jpg

I feel a little better now. A little.

Deceit is, of course, your standard-issue Entrance-Is-Not-An-Exit dungeon.
U7_SNES_15_17.JPG

The first door we see is actually locked, but there is a key in the bucket.
U7_SNES_15_18.JPG

Which begs the question: who the fuck locked this door and why did they hide the key in a bucket on the dungeon entrance side?

So yeah, it's your basic dungeon. There are monsters...
U7_SNES_15_19.JPG

...traps...
U7_SNES_15_20.JPG

...switches (which I'm starting to think are only decoration)...
U7_SNES_15_21.JPG

...(respawning) loot...
U7_SNES_15_23.JPG

...and eventually end up somewhere the Guardian does not want us to be.
U7_SNES_15_24.JPG

its_a_trap.jpg

its-a-trap.jpg

star-wars-wedding-its-a-trap.jpg

its-a-trap-poster.jpg

tarp.jpg

...sorry about that. When playing Ultima 7 on the SNES, one must often seek other means of amusement.

A couple dozen steps later and Big Red is singing a different tune.
U7_SNES_15_25.JPG

I'M SO CONFLICTED.

One locked door later...
U7_SNES_15_26.JPG

HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SWEET ZEUS PLEASE DON'T EAT ME.

RUN AWAY!!
python_run_away_small.jpg

OH GOD HE'S COMING THROUGH THE WALLS.
U7_SNES_15_27.JPG

My weapons don't seem to hurt this guy. Not even wearing the Ethereal Ring seems to make a difference. Is this the end of the LP?!?

...Unfortunately, no. Eventually I discover I have to use a non-magical melee weapon while wearing the Ethereal Ring. A ranged weapon and a magical melee weapon both don't count, for whatever dumbfuck reason.
U7_SNES_15_28.JPG

Note: this battle was a lot cooler in the PC version.
U7-Guardian.png

Like all good boss fights, this one ends with the dropping of a key...
U7_SNES_15_29.JPG

...which opens a door...
U7_SNES_15_30.JPG

...that leads to the Tetrahedron.
U7_SNES_15_31.JPG

(which was also a lot cooler in the PC version)
U7-tetra.png

I "use" the nearby pedestal, destroying the Tetrahedron...
U7_SNES_15_32.JPG

...and giving me a miniature souvenier.
U7_SNES_15_33.JPG

Note: the Ethereal Guardian does not respawn on the way out.
U7_SNES_15_34.JPG

This is perhaps the first time ever that a monster - boss or otherwise - has not respawned after leaving the area and coming back. :incline:

I find the exit, but am lacking the skeleton key needed to open it.
U7_SNES_15_35.JPG

Eventually I stumble across a corpser (another new monster! Two in one dungeon!!) who drops the key I need.
U7_SNES_15_36.JPG

I report back to my slave driver.
U7_SNES_15_37.JPG

U7_SNES_15_38.JPG

A new threat!? Like, worse than giant red muppet? Or related to, at least?

Let's use our moonstone to find out.
U7_SNES_15_39-TL.jpg

U7_SNES_15_40-TL.jpg

U7_SNES_15_41-TL.jpg

I'm starting to sense a pattern here. Dungeon -> Item -> Dungeon + Item -> Destroy Shape. So, similar to the main quest in the PC version, just dumbed down streamlined significantly.

Guess we're heading back to the island of the daemons gargoyles...

...next time!

Note: Ultima VII PC screenshots courtesy of Nakar's Ultima VII LP: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Ultima VII/index.html Thanks, person who will probably never read this!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom