Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima VII...on the Super Nintendo - COMPLETED!

lightbane

Arcane
Your dedication is admirable... Anyways, moar!! At least, you know that nothing worse than that could happen to Ultima... oh wait.

Silellak

Cipher
lightbane said:
you know that nothing worse than that could happen to Ultima... oh wait.
611019-ultima9box_1__large.jpg

indian.jpg

Nevar forget.

Silellak

Cipher
Update: I have managed to finish the game with most of my sanity intact.

Working on the final two updates now. There should be one on Monday morning and the last one on Wednesday morning.

Silellak

Cipher
Part 16: In which we retrieve the Hourglass, destroy the Sphere, and visit the USS Serpent's Hold

Off to Terfin to retrieve the Enchanted Hourglass from the Dungeon Sutek!

Exclamation points make this sound more exciting!

In case you're wondering who the fuck "Sutek" is, he's an interesting character from Ultima 5 and 6:
Sutek.gif

Sutek is an enigmatic and very powerful mage who appears in Ultima V and Ultima VI.

During the reign of Lord Blackthorn, he secluded himself in a small hut built upon the isle that would come to be known as Spektran, devoting his studies to ascertaining the nature of the three shards of the Gem of Immortality and their spawn, the Shadowlords. In Ultima V, Sutek was instrumental in the Avatar's learning of the method by which the Shadowlords could be vanquished.

By the time of the gargoyle uprising as chronicled in Ultima VI, Sutek had descended into madness and taken refuge in the abandoned Castle Blackthorn, wherein he conducted bizarre experiments and hired several ill-fated engineers to construct a series of catacombs beneath its walls. Upon setting foot on the mad wizard's island abode, the Avatar happened upon the fruit of Sutek's endeavours: killer bunnies and monstrous, two-headed animals. The solitary mage proved arrogant and incendiary in conversation, but revealed that the balloonist at the heart of the False Prophet's pursuit had met his end in the castle catacombs. The Avatar then left Sutek to his madness and encountered the last of his creations: Pushme Pullyu, a two-headed horse that spoke in rhymes and riddles.

Sutek's fate subsequent to the events of Ultima VI is unknown.

Fun trivia fact!
"Sutek" appears on the trainsim highscores in the first Wing Commander
Sigh. I miss you, Origin.
One_for_my_Homies.jpg

Here's a bit on the Hourglass in the PC version:
The Hourglass of Nicodemus is a strong magical device. With it, it is possible to walk through time traps without any harm. Also, it is is possible with it to talk with the Time Lord over any kind of distance without problem.

Because of his madness caused by the Tetrahedron Generator, Nicodemus was unable to hold the enchantment on the Hourglass and and in the end sold it to Beverlea in Paws. The Avatar acquired it in Ultima VII, and after destroying the Tetrahedron Generator, asked Nicodemus to re-enchant the Hourglass. With the enchanted Hourglass it was easy to breach the trap in front of the Sphere Generator and talk to the Time Lord after the Moongates had collapsed.
Note the distinctive "lack of a stupid, tedious, repetitive dungeon crawl" aspect of the Hourglass' retrieval.

Anyway, on to the quest!

There is no "Keep Out" note to warn us away this time, so I am forced to assume this dungeon is safe and friendly.
U7_SNES_16_0.JPG

This is likely to be your fairly standard dungeon. I'll be sure to mention if anything interesting happens in the process of finding the Hourglass.
U7_SNES_16_1.JPG

A wall requires powder-keg-based destruction.
U7_SNES_16_2.JPG

Fact: The above screenshot looks absolutely nothing like a Legend of Zelda game.

Beyond the destroyed wall, two dragons guard the Hourglass.
U7_SNES_16_3.JPG

They prove little challenge, and soon a pile of gold, a Dungeon Key, and the Enchanted Hourglass are mine!
U7_SNES_16_5.JPG

There's a relatively simple switch puzzle that I brute-force my way through before I reach the exit.
U7_SNES_16_6.JPG

Oh, and a magically locked room full of gold, which I don't need, but take anyway, because...isn't that what RPGs are about?
U7_SNES_16_7.JPG

A destructable wall in the treasure room leads me to the exit, and I am free!
U7_SNES_16_8.JPG

Now we are off to Despise, which the Time Lord told us was north east of Britain.

Despise, a natural cave system in the Serpent's Spine mountains north of Britain, is one of the eight famed dungeons of Britannia. The Stranger explored it first during the Quest of the Avatar and returned to it many times after that.

After that time, Despise fully became a cave system again. In Ultima VII, the Sphere Generator of the Guardian was located in it. Also, the mage Selvyn and his band of rebels had built his fortress on top of Despise, with stairs from the dungeon into it. Brother Wayne, the missing monk, was found there as well.

It actually takes me longer than I want to admit to find Despise, probably because I was looking for it in the PC version location. During my searches, I stumble across this note attached to a mountain pass:
U7_SNES_16_10.JPG

U7_SNES_16_11.JPG

I don't know if this was put there by some kind samaritan, or the developers themselves, or if maybe the Guardian has just gotten lazy. It's too bad this note wasn't attached to the game box.

Eventually I find it.
U7_SNES_16_12.JPG

Unspurprisingly, in a desperate bid to get as many things wrong as possible, the "natural cave system" uses the "manmade dungeon" tileset.
U7_SNES_16_13.JPG

Then again, the PC version switched the location of Despise and Shame, so what does it know?
U7_SNES_16_14.JPG

Looks like we're in for a maze, with fireball and traps and keys hidden under potted plants. Apparently potted plants are in dungeons now? You know what, honestly, I'm just happy for a slight change of pace.

Here I am getting paralyzed by a gazer I can't reach on the other side of the wall!
U7_SNES_16_15.JPG

Exciting.

Eventually I actually run out of skeletons keys and am forced to rely on the Unlock spell.
U7_SNES_16_16.JPG

I finally find my goal: the Sphere Generator.
U7_SNES_16_17.JPG

Again, the PC version is far more impressive. It actually looks, you know...alien:
U7-Sphere.png

I suppose it's not entirely fair to make this comparison, given the inherent technological limitations of the Super Nintendo, but you know...if you can't do something right...

As before, I just take the smaller shape, and the bigger one goes boom:
U7_SNES_16_18.JPG

Another thing cut from the SNES version seems to be the unique "challenge" for each shape. The Tetrahedron had the Ethereal Monster, which was similar, but there was originally a moongate puzzle to "defeat" this Sphere:
U7-Moongate.png

Not so much this time.

Time to tell the Good Doctor of our success!
U7_SNES_16_19-TL.jpg

U7_SNES_16_20-TL.jpg

Black Gate?! Why, that's the subtitle of this game!

U7_SNES_16_21-TL.jpg

U7_SNES_16_22-TL.jpg

U7_SNES_16_23-TL.jpg

Originally the Cube Generator was actually located at the Fellowship Meditation Retreat we visited earlier, but whatever.

U7_SNES_16_24-TL.jpg

U7_SNES_16_25-TL.jpg

I guess we're off to Minoc to talk to Zorn! Hopefully this will lead to a trip to Ambrosia to face the hydra and retrieve the Caddellite.

U7_SNES_16_26.JPG

Gee, what could the Fellowship need with such helmets?
U7_SNES_16_27.JPG

U7_SNES_16_28.JPG

slump.jpg

Sigh. Alright, Covetous should be somewhere near Minoc, since Minoc is the city of Sacrifice, and Coveting would be...well, the opposite of that.

A bit on its history:
Covetous is a dungeon south of Minoc and for much of its history its only surface access was via Lost Hope Bay. One of the eight famed dungeons of Britannia it first appeared in Ultima IV and appeared in every Ultima that took place in Britannia afterwards.

In the years before Ultima VII, the Britannian Mining Company destroyed the entire upper level of Covetous in their mining operation, after unsealing it and destroying all monsters on that level, where also blackrock was found.
Fortunately, Covetous is far easier to find than Despise was.
U7_SNES_16_29.JPG

Here we go. Another day, another dungeon.
U7_SNES_16_30.JPG

Fact: This is like the 4th or 5th dungeon that starts off with you locked in a room, with the key to the exit either (badly) hidden or just sitting in a container. Why even bother?

Fact: dungeon traps do not hurt monsters.
U7_SNES_16_32.JPG

Fact: one of these pots holds a key I need.
U7_SNES_16_33.JPG

Fact: those fireballs really don't do very much damage so it's not a terribly scary situation.

Fact: the developers are uncreative and use this trick more than once.
U7_SNES_16_34.JPG

Fact: this is the first dungeon I've encountered in awhile that actually has a second floor. I was kind of getting used to these awful-but-at-least-they're-short dungeons.
U7_SNES_16_35.JPG

Fact: the second floor starts off different because it has two locked doors with two keys in a container in the room.
U7_SNES_16_36.JPG

Fact: I am as tired of this gag as you are.

I quickly find the dungeon exit (meaning there's thankfully no more levels), but haven't found the Catellite Helmet OR the dungeon key.
U7_SNES_16_37.JPG

Question: why would you put a locked door with switches that open it on both sides?
:retarded:
U7_SNES_16_38.JPG

You know what works equally as well? An unlocked door.

A water walk spell and a few locked doors later, I find a couple of gazers with the Dungeon Key:
U7_SNES_16_39.JPG

And the Catellite Helmet hidden under a...giant fucking boulder?
U7_SNES_16_40.JPG

So...to follow the logic train here...Zorn made a Catellite helmets for some Fellowship members...who then went into the dungeon Covetous for no apparent reason...then somehow one of those helmets ended up past an underground river and several locked doors, under a several-ton boulder...and it's completely undamaged? Well, of course!

This stupid helmet was actually harder to get to than the Guardian's generators, which were intentionally hidden by the Fellowship. :retarded:

Anyway, mission accomplished, we escape the dungeon and make for Serpent's Hold.
U7_SNES_16_41.JPG

Now, in the original, the inhabitants of Serpent's Hold are meant to resemble the crew of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Per the Ultima Wiki:

In Serpent's Hold, many of the inhabitants are modeled after the crew of the Enterprise in Star Trek: The Next Generation. The list includes:
Sir John Paul = Jean-Luc Picard (The bald leader figure)
Sir Richter = William Riker (Second-in-Command)
Sir Horffe = Worf (Horffe is from another race, raised by humans)
Denton = Data (Looks like the tin man and makes jokes that aren't funny)
Lady Leigh= Beverly Crusher (Leigh is a red-haired healer)
Lady Tory = Deanna Troi (Tory is an Empath and good at giving spiritual help)
Jordan = Geordi La Forge (Jordan has black skin and is very blind)
I wonder if the SNES version will follow suit?

Stepping off the boat, I find a statue of Lord British that appears to have been covered in shit.
U7_SNES_16_42.JPG

"Defaced" indeed.

The local provisioner is selling an Ice Sword, which I buy in order to continue my collection of Elemental Swords.
U7_SNES_16_43.JPG

It also flashes like a lightsaber when I swing it, making it double-awesome.
U7_SNES_16_44.JPG

Not long after that, we come across the first crew member of the USS Enterprise.
U7_SNES_16_45.JPG

CantSee-Captain.jpg

Before talking to Captain Picard, we take a brief moment to loot the Serpent's Hold treasury.
U7_SNES_16_47.JPG

Logically, the Treasure Room of the Keep of Courage, home to the Order of the Silver Servant, noble Knights of the Kingdom of Britannia...is guarded by evil Undead skeletons.

...I hate this stupid fucking game so much.

Another crew mate!
U7_SNES_16_48.JPG

MentosRiker.gif

I'm not bothering to show much dialog here because all people really do is discuss the Fellowship. Some trust them (Geordi and Riker), some don't. Your usual bullshit, really.

Time to talk to the Captain.
U7_SNES_16_49.JPG

DancingPicard.png

U7_SNES_16_50.JPG

U7_SNES_16_51.JPG

U7_SNES_16_52.JPG

Picard has a quest for me! How exciting.

Also, there is a gargoyle with a mohawk:
U7_SNES_16_53.JPG

MrT.jpg

Anyway, we go to see Denton.
U7_SNES_16_54.JPG

U7_SNES_16_55.JPG

U7_SNES_16_56.JPG

We take his advice and head back to Riker Richter.
U7_SNES_16_57.JPG

Gasp! Jewelry! Could our culprit be a crossdresser!? Or at least someone a bit fruity?
DancingPicard.png

Let's take it back to Denton.
U7_SNES_16_58.JPG

U7_SNES_16_59.JPG

Racial profiling!!
RacialProfiling.png

U7_SNES_16_60.JPG

Yeah right. I know better than to trust your kind, daemon gargoyle.

Here's your gay jewlrey back. I didn't want it anyway.
U7_SNES_16_61.JPG

Since that's the end of that particular evidence trail, I question a few other people. It doesn't take too long since there's maybe half a dozen non-shopkeeper NPCs in the city.

Finally:
U7_SNES_16_62.JPG

U7_SNES_16_63.JPG

U7_SNES_16_64.JPG

U7_SNES_16_65.JPG

U7_SNES_16_66.JPG

Dear Lord woman, that's a lot of text just to say "Pendaran did it".

Confrontation time!
U7_SNES_16_67.JPG

U7_SNES_16_68.JPG

He's not even going to attack me? Just repair the statue? Bor-ing! He does know this isn't a real Ultima game, right?

Time to report my success to the Captain.
U7_SNES_16_69.JPG

U7_SNES_16_70.JPG

Meh, magic armor is cool and all, but fire armor is cooler. At least it'll sell for a nice chunk of change.

Anyway, time to do what we came here to do. A bit of exploration and we find the dungeon near Serpent's Hold, creatively called the:
U7_SNES_16_71.JPG

Inside, we will find the Guardian's third generator...

...in the next (and final) update!

So what's the verdict on the "Serpent Isle inhabitants as TNG Crew" thing? Well, the SNES version matches it, at least on the surface - John Paul is bald, Richter sounds like Riker, Jordan is black and blind, etc. - but the subtle details that made it great are lost. Superficial resemblance, missing the details that make up the soul of the game? Where have we heard that before?
smiley.JPG

Anyway, final update on Wednesday! Hold on to your seats, people - this shit just got real.
shitjustgotreal.jpg

Note: Ultima VII PC screenshots are, as always, courtesy of Nakar's Ultima VII LP: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Ultima VII/index.html Thanks, person who will probably never read this!

Bonus fun LP author fact: Today is my birthday!

Silellak

Cipher
There is where the last update used to be, but now it has been moved to the next page.

There is nothing to see here.

Move along.

:M

ecliptic

Liturgist
Congrats, hombre! That was one of the most horrific things I've seen someone put themselves through, and it's only made more horrible by the unholy mutation they've visited upon the original gem of a game...

Thank you, sir.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Jesus H. Christ, what a travesty.

I guess Iolo was bound by contract to appear in this port, all the other Companions had the sense to run and hide.

Silellak

Cipher
Part 17: In which we finish this awful fucking game and never have to play it again

Time to take down the Guardian's third and final generator and assault the Black Gate!
shitjustgotreal.jpg

The Dungeon of Serpents unsurprisingly has snakes in it.
U7_SNES_17_1.JPG

Though really, so does every other dungeon in this damn game.

So far the dungeon is just a simple maze of locked doors. It's made a bit confusing by the fact that doors don't always have logical exits on the other side, as I illustrated in a previous update.

Eventually I stumble across a drake:
U7_SNES_17_2.JPG

But despite the Dramatic Boss Music Change, it isn't much of a threat, nor does it drop the Dungeon Key. Sad.

It is, however, guarding the ladder to the second level:
U7_SNES_17_3.JPG

What ever happened to those annoying-but-short dungeons? I'm actually starting to miss them now.

The ladder may as well have been a teleporter, since there's no way back up it.
U7_SNES_17_4.JPG

Another drake fight yields a special green key, and, oddly, a random rat carries the Dungeon Key.
U7_SNES_17_5.JPG

Weird.

Soon after, I find the cube, which is guarded by...snakes.
U7_SNES_17_6.JPG

Kinda pathetic, as far as guardians go, but I guess it's at least going along with the theme of the dungeon?

Again, here is the PC version of the Cube for reference:
U7-Cube.png

And here is the maze inside the Cube which it seems I will not be doing:
U7-Cube-Maze.png

As is standard operating procedure now, we take the smaller <shape> and the bigger <shape> explodes:
U7_SNES_17_7.JPG

A full-grown dragon guards the way out:
U7_SNES_17_8.JPG

For those of you keeping track, that's three dungeons that have had dragons...and none of them were Destard.
:thumbsup:

After the dragon there is an annoying swamp-filled maze...
U7_SNES_17_9.JPG

...and by "annoying" I mean "might be enough to make me rage-quit this entire fucking LP if I wasn't so damn close to being done."
U7_SNES_17_10.JPG

It's a "maze" filled with random entrances that open and close based on flipping switches. Because there's no logical design to the doorways, and because you can't see which switches open which passagways, making a map is practically impossible. It's not interesting or challenging, just pointless and obnoxious.

Eventually I find my way to freedom...hey, this ladder looks kind of familiar...
U7_SNES_17_11.JPG

...yup, for some reason, I'm back on Spektran. I have no idea why, but after that little slice of Hell - I'll take it.
U7_SNES_17_12.JPG

Time to report our success to the Good Doctor.
U7_SNES_17_13-TL.jpg

U7_SNES_17_70.JPG

HOLY SHIT HE'S RIGHT OH GOD RUN.

Anyway, The Cube is awesome, and it performed the same basic service in the PC version, too:
The Cube is a cool artifact. It forces anyone you speak with to tell the truth. Of course it only really does this in the case of people who were lying to you as part of the plot.
For instance:
cube-dialog-1.JPG

cube-dialog-2.JPG

Great stuff. I love that it worked not only on the plot-required NPCs, but anyone who played a role in lying to you throughout the entire game. One of the many fantastic "little touches" that the Ultima series is known for.

So, before we leave for the Final Battle, let's see if they thought to include it in this version. We return to Trinsic and speak to the same NPC shown in the example above - Klog, head of the Fellowship in Trinsic.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand...
U7_SNES_17_14.JPG

...nothing :( Sad. One more thing - time to go to talk to BATLIN!
U7_SNES_17_15.JPG

Damn. Guess it was too much to hope for.

For the record, here is what happens when you talk to Batlin while holding the Cube in the PC version:
batlin.JPG

Pretty sweet, right? Ah, well.

Time to head back to Buccaneer's Den and see what people have to say this time. Time to get our Lasso of Truth on!
lasso.jpg

U7_SNES_17_17.JPG

WHERE IS HOOK, MOTHERFUCKER?
samuel_l_avatar.jpg

U7_SNES_17_16.JPG

Oh. Well. That was easy.

Time to talk to the formerly un-cooperative guard.
samuel_l_avatar.jpg

U7_SNES_17_18.JPG

U7_SNES_17_19.JPG

Wow, apparently the Cube makes you tell the truth and turns you into a giant pussy.

Hook's key has a skull on it, because pirates are awesome and Hook is awesome and skulls are awesome.
U7_SNES_17_20.JPG

Searching his place, we find a couple of notes and a "Black Gate" key.
U7_SNES_17_21.JPG

One of notes confirm that he is (unsurprisingly) responsible for the murder kidnappings...
U7_SNES_17_22.JPG

U7_SNES_17_23.JPG

U7_SNES_17_24.JPG

...and that the Fellowship plans to murder kidnap Lord British and the Avatar.

The other is a note from Elizabeth to Hook...
U7_SNES_17_25.JPG

...telling him to sail to the Isle of the Avatar and use the Black Gate key to enter the Final Dungeon where they are presumably building the Black Gate.

I'm just happy I didn't have to go through yet-another console-exclusive dungeon crawl to get the Black Gate key.

Time to head to the Isle of the Avatar for the end of this Godawful LP that has drained valuable hours of my life which I will never get back and forever tarnished my immortal soul final showdown!
U7_SNES_17_26.JPG

U7_SNES_17_27.JPG

Wow, this looks almost as good as the original.
U7-IsleOfAvatar.png

:/

U7_SNES_17_28.JPG

Dude, you do know what the name of the island is, right? Pretty sure it's not Isle of Giant Annoying Red Muppet Who Doesn't Even Get a Voice Actor in This Shitty Port.

We enter the first building we see.
U7_SNES_17_29.JPG

U7_SNES_17_30.JPG

The drama of the walk down this hallway is kind-of ruined when your enemies are just more giant rats.
U7_SNES_17_31.JPG

I think I've killed more Giant Rats and Snakes in this game alone than in every other RPG I've played...combined.

Check out all that furniture and space. This is actually kind of a nice basement.
U7_SNES_17_32.JPG

I wonder if I could make it my hideout? The island is named after me, after all.

In any other game, I'd think this was probably some sort of puzzle room, since I can push the blocks and barrels around.
U7_SNES_17_33.JPG

But, it looks like this is actually a dead-end, and since I haven't actually used my Black Gate key yet, I opt to explore the rest of the island. That's a shame, somehow it would've been appropriate if the Final Battle in this awful game was essentially being fought in yet-another monster-filled basement.

Eventually I stumble across the Dungeon Hythloth:
U7_SNES_17_35.JPG

It starts off with your standard "key hidden in the same room" crap, though this time the designers go all-out and hide the key under a giant boulder.
U7_SNES_17_36.JPG

I can only assume the key is made out of Caddelite.

I fight my way through...well, the same monsters every dungeon has...and through lava, which is new.
U7_SNES_17_38.JPG

Eventually I find a door the Black Gate Key opens, confirming I'm in the right place.
U7_SNES_17_39.JPG

Though it's just a fucking wooden door, so I don't know why I'd need a Black Gate Key when I could just use a Black Gate Axe or Black Gate Hammer, but whatever.

I enter the next room, and...
U7_SNES_17_40.JPG

U7_SNES_17_41.JPG

oh_snap.gif

Wow...that was the shortest dungeon ever. I wanted to take more screenshots of it, but there wasn't really much else to show. Go forward, go left, go right, cross lava, unlock door...OH SHIT BOSS FIGHT.

Oh well. At least I finally found Elizabeth and Abraham. Let's do this thing.
its-on-like-donkey-kong.jpg

samuel_l_avatar.jpg

U7_SNES_17_42.JPG

U7_SNES_17_43.JPG

U7_SNES_17_44.JPG

U7_SNES_17_45.JPG

Oh good. Just like in the PC version, Batlin flees before I can kick his fat ass back to Ultima VI. I presume this is so that he can return in the SNES version of Serpent Isle? *twitch*

I move for the red key on the ground...
U7_SNES_17_46.JPG

U7_SNES_17_47.JPG

Oh lord. I honeslty thought the Guardian was going to show up in-person at this point, but it looks like we have in fact been spared from that much stupidity.

We take "Batlins key" and go through to the next room.
U7_SNES_17_48.JPG

U7_SNES_17_49.JPG

If it means the end of this LP? You're better fucking believe I want to do this.

Here is the Black Gate chamber:
U7_SNES_17_50.JPG

It honestly doesn't look as bad as I'd thought it would, given how lackluster all of the Generator Rooms looked.

As in the PC version, we use the three smaller versions of the Generators to disable the "shield" around the Black Gate.

Placing the first shape triggers the weirdest taunt in the history of Video Game taunts:
U7_SNES_17_51.JPG

I can't figure out if this is supposed to be sarcastic, or if he's genuinely pleased for the Avatar, who he is assuming is 3 years old.

Number two!
U7_SNES_17_52.JPG

U7_SNES_17_53.JPG

What is this I don't even

And number three.
U7_SNES_17_54.JPG

U7_SNES_17_55.JPG

U7_SNES_17_56.JPG

U7_SNES_17_57.JPG

U7_SNES_17_58.JPG

Uh, if it means there will be no more Ultima games on the SNES? Fuck this, I'm out. Later Britannia.

U7_SNES_17_71.JPG

U7_SNES_17_59.JPG

No problem, you loveable muppet you.
U7_SNES_17_60.JPG

U7_SNES_17_61.JPG

Yeah whatever. This game came from Earth, so it kinda deserves it. So what's my reward?
U7_SNES_17_62.JPG

starwarsnoooo.jpg

noooooooo.jpg

noooooooooooooo.jpg

NooooooooooCat.jpg

...sigh. Fine, you stupid fucking game. We'll do it your way.

RETCON-PUNCH!
RetconPunch.PNG

U7_SNES_17_58.JPG

Alright. So. We equip Rudyom's Wand (remember that?)...
U7_SNES_17_64.JPG

...and fire away.
U7_SNES_17_65.JPG

U7_SNES_17_66.JPG

U7_SNES_17_67.JPG

U7_SNES_17_68.JPG

U7_SNES_17_69.JPG

U7_SNES_17_72.JPG

U7_SNES_17_73.JPG

U7_SNES_17_74.JPG

Dude, whatever. Like I said before - Earth made this game, right? Fuck 'em all and let 'em burn.
U7_SNES_17_75.JPG

U7_SNES_17_76.JPG

"Avenged the disappearance of Spark's father"? Really, game? Can you even avenge a disappearance? Like, is that a thing? Even in these final moments, you must continue to mock me?
MushroomCloudFinger.jpg

And honestly, you're going to mention Spark in the epilogue? Why the fuck would I even remember who Spark was? It's not like he was a companion in this version.

Speaking of companions - I never really noticed until now, at the end - but the only one of the Avatar's companions who show up in the entire game is Iolo. It's not that they don't join, they're not even in the game. It's like when actors refuse to return for sequels to movies they know will be awful. What's the excuse? Could they not think of a good reason for the Avatar's oldest friends to not come along? Not like they stopped them in Ultima IX.

Okay, I guess that's enough bitching. What's my reward for finishing the "right" way?
U7_SNES_17_62.JPG

NooooooooooCat.jpg

Well, auto-restarting game aside...that's that. We've actually managed to finish Ultima VII on the SNES, which means, yes, this LP is actually fucking OVER!!

8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif
8f4e5852c938.gif

Codex Achievement Unlocked: Completed LP of Ultima VII on the Super Nintendo!

Reward unlocked: Profile picture upgrade!

batlin_old.gif
->
batlin_new.gif

Reward unlocked: Bonus movie - Let's Finish Ultima VII...on the Super Nintendo!

That's right - as a little "thank you" for those of you who have suffered through this LP right along with me, I've made a video showing the last 5 minutes or so of the game, so you can see just how anti-climatic and lackluster the final dungeon really was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5pYdNNENLI

You're welcome.

:love:

Note: Ultima VII PC screenshots are, as always, courtesy of Nakar's Ultima VII LP: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Ultima VII/index.html Thanks, person who will probably never read this!

lightbane

Arcane
You truly are a patriot, but

Clockwork Knight said:
Hey Sillelak, someone's at the door, said he wants to talk to you.

588818_40474_front.jpg

This, you know it cannot be worse than Ascension...

Heresiarch

Prophet
Great job. This LP is awesome.

So all the guys who got kidnapped never show up, eh?

And the "climatic final battle". And the last monster filled basement.

Oh my god. I don't know, but I think I'll have nightmares afterseeing you finish this LP. I can't imagine how much torture your soul suffered these months playing this gaem. :cry:

spekkio

Arcane
You are a true patriot for finishing this abortion of a game, Silellak...

29utvfo.jpg

Nevar forget!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
OMG YOU ACTUALLY FINISHED THE GAME!

Slow-Clap.gif

Well done, and I think I speak on the behalf of all of Codexia when I say this: Thank you for suffering through this horrible mess for the entertainment of the hivemind. You are a true hero.

Silellak

Cipher
Thanks to everyone for your support as I suffered through this ordeal. :salute:

Re: an Ultima 6 SNES LP...from what I've heard (and the little I've played), it's not nearly as bad of a port as Ultima 7, for various reasons. The dialog seems straight out of the PC version for the most part, and I think there's far less censoring on Nintendo's end. While I could do an LP of it, I don't think it'd be nearly as..."entertaining"...as the Ultima 7 one was.

I'm almost tempted to do an LP of this:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=293

Mostly because it seems like the NWN engine would be fucking awful for an Ultima game. But, I'd feel bad picking on a fan project...it's not quite the same as going after a full-blown "professional" POS like this game was.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sceptic said:
OMG YOU ACTUALLY FINISHED THE GAME!

Slow-Clap.gif

Well done, and I think I speak on the behalf of all of Codexia when I say this: Thank you for suffering through this horrible mess for the entertainment of the hivemind. You are a true hero.

This. Thank you good sir.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom