Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let us languish in Sanitarium (completed)

Cassidy

Arcane
I always understood in the game that Sarah was Max real sister that died because of cancer or another incurable disease when he was young, rather than only a total fabrication of his mind.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cassidy said:
I always understood in the game that Sarah was Max real sister that died because of cancer or another incurable disease when he was young, rather than only a total fabrication of his mind.

Correct. But the chapter in which he becomes her in his mind does symbolize things. His guilt over not having been able to help her which presumably drove him as a doctor is the most obvious one. But it's also tied to a stage in his career working with Dr Morgan.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
At this point I spent a bit of time walking in circles trying to figure out what to do, but I'll spare you that. Why hadn't I noticed you can just walk behind the Jaguar temple to find the Witch Doctor? Dunno.

update13_1.jpg

But there he is.

olmec.jpg
Old man! What say you?

tezacatl.jpg
I say that the end is near! Quetzalcoatl will destroy us all, lest I find one who can bring me the Pod of Might.

olmec.jpg
What name do you go by, ancient one?

tezacatl.jpg
My name is Tezacatl... I am the village's last hope! It is my duty as village witch to destroy this devil who plagues us!

olmec.jpg
(Pod) What is this pod you speak of?

tezacatl.jpg
The sacred Pod of Might. It contains the seeds I require to finish my spell, yet there is no way to reach it!

olmec.jpg
Why is that?

tezacatl.jpg
It clings to the Joining Tree... surrounded by liquid fire! Not even your stone form could withstand its heat!

Says who?

Actually he's right, you can't enter the lava. It's a bit odd how the tree survives it then.

olmec.jpg
(Tree) How does the tree survive if it is surrounded by fire?

Ha-HA!

tezacatl.jpg
It is magic, as is the Pod that grows on its mighty trunk. However, the magic is fading and the limbs will soon wither and burn.

Oh.

olmecshepard.jpg
There must be some way to reach it!

tezacatl.jpg
Perhaps... the ancient Rite of the Warrior may be the answer.

olmec.jpg
(Rite) Rite of the Warrior? What will that old magic accomplish?

update13_2.jpg

olmec.jpg
Then I will go through the trials. Perform it.

update13_3.jpg

Should kick his ass.

olmec.jpg
(Village) Why do you sit here, idle in the village, instead of fighting? What kind of coward are you!?

tezacatl.jpg
Harsh words, your holiness. But I am not merely sitting here! I am meditating... to gain the power needed to combat his awful magic.

olmec.jpg
(Combat) How do you expect to defeat a god, little man?

Little man with your insignificant magics.

update13_4.jpg

olmec.jpg
You would sacrifice yourself for the village?

Isn't that what all the warriors did, Olmec?

tezacatl.jpg
It must be done.

olmec.jpg
(Spell) What spell are you preparing?

tezacatl.jpg
It is called the Spirit Fire. It creates a mystic energy wave formed by the souls of the dead.

A spirit bomb?! His power level must be over 5000!

olmec.jpg
(Temples) I see the temples are nearly destroyed by Quetzalcoatl's dark magic.

tezacatl.jpg
Yes. The totems may be in grave danger.

olmec.jpg
What totems are you speaking of?

update13_5.jpg

olmec.jpg
Your wife mourns for you, witch.

She's also a bitch, witch.

tezacatl.jpg
She knows what I plan, and fears the future without me. She has seen our two warrior sons die at the hands of Quetzalcoatl and soon she will bury me.

Sucks to be her. Let's head to the chieftain to ask about this whole rite of the warrior thing.

olmec.jpg
(Warrior) I have found your daughter, mason. It is time for me to undergo the Rite of the Warrior.

Doing things out of sequence again looks like. Eh, the game doesn't mind.

chieftain.jpg
You are truly honorable, Olmec. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. I should never have doubt you -

olmecshepard.jpg
Enough groveling, chieftain! Get on with it!!

Olmec has little patience for your prattlling.
Olmec is the Core Shepard.

update13_6.jpg

Easy!

olmec.jpg
(Names) I'd like to undergo the second stage of the ritual.

Yes!

chieftain.jpg
Do you know all six names of the warriors who came before you?

Of course!

olmec.jpg
No... not yet.

All d- wait what?

Oh right, there's the floaty spirit we couldn't reach.

chieftain.jpg
I'm sorry, you must find all six before I test you.

So, another sequence of walking in circles ensues.

update13_7.jpg

Even tried passing by ol' Doc Morgan here, but he zaps you down the steps. However...

update13_8.jpg

You can head here!

olmec.jpg
A large statue. Violent earth magic has made it unstable.

update13_9.jpg

Let's chuck it in the lava then!

update13_10.jpg

Lava pours over the edge to the right...

update13_11.jpg

Providing a bridge!

The 6th and final spirit...

olmec.jpg
Spirit! What say you?

centeotl.jpg
Bitter... defeat... cursed to roam...

olmec.jpg
(Name) What name did you by in this world, fallen hero?

centeotl.jpg
Centeotl... fierce warrior... clan... Shaven Head Otonmi...

olmec.jpg
(Clan) The Shaven Head Otonmi?

centeotl.jpg
Yes... savage... destroyers...

olmec.jpg
(Warrior) What was your station as warrior, spirit?

update13_12.jpg

You guys got all that? There'll be a pop quiz in a minute.

While we're here we check out the temple. The pressure plate at the front doesn't react if we step on it, but what's that on the side?

olmec.jpg
Images carved in stone... somehow these hold the key to the water temple.

update13_13.jpg

These mean nothing to us now, so let's ask our dead fisherman's friend, Tepictoc.

olmec.jpg
(Carvings) As a fisherman, you must be familiar with the water temple. What do you know of the carvings that mark the inner wall?

Outer wall actually Olmec.

tepictoc.jpg
Sacred place... devout... may pass... to pray... within the cool walls... speak creed... live... creed...

olmec.jpg
What creed?

tepictoc.jpg
The creed... life... water... creed...

olmecshepard.jpg
What?! You babble, shade!!

Death is no excuse to be incoherent!

tepictoc.jpg
Creed... the creed...

Well screw him. We'll have to try his wife, but first let's make fun of the old crone who is about to lose her last remaining link to this world...

update13_14.jpg

tezacatlwife.jpg
And what of me? I need this protection more than the rest of the village! He should be here for me!

olmecshepard.jpg
Still your selfish tongue, crone!! He does what is required. He faces death as a brave warrior should!!

tezacatlwife.jpg
You are as much a fool as him.

Oh it's on now.

olmec.jpg
Sad one, I have spoken with the spirit of your husband.

chalchihut.jpg
Is he well?

He says it's time to move on. Find a new life partner. One of the stone variety?
2Znzz.png

update13_15.jpg

update13_16.jpg

That tells us what we need to know. Look at the carvings again:

update13_13.jpg

Like the puzzle by which we entered this chapter, it's a match-the-words-to-the-pictures puzzle.

There's 6 panels. The order is: #5 God's Eye (the sun), #3 spear, #1 water, #2 fish, #6 basket, #4 warrior.

update13_17.jpg

Now it opens when we step on the plate. This totem isn't protected (unlike the other two), and there's one other thing in the temple...

olmec.jpg
A ruby fish! It's blood-like coloring must indicate something important!

A challenge for our Codex brethren. Can you figure out what it's for before I finish the chapter?!

Right now we have more important stuff to do. We now have all six names. Did you keep notes? Well little need, as it's pretty simple: Xilonen said he's the youngest, Ometech that he is young but older than Xilonen, Tepictoc too is young but older than Ometech, Centeotl is older than Tepictoc but younger than Huitzilop, Huitzilop is a veteran but the younger brother to Mixcoatl, Mixcoatl being the eldest and war chief.

update13_18.jpg

Oh yeah!

olmec.jpg
How long will it last?

chieftain.jpg
Not long. You must be swift in your quest.

Onwards to the ritual.

update13_19.jpg

chieftain.jpg
It is done. Go forth and fulfill your destiny, Olmec. The fate of our village lies in your hands.

Wait why is there a specific procedure for making stone flesh temporarily immune to elements anyway?
Who cares, we use it to go lava-diving!

update13_20.jpg

update13_21.jpg

Yoink. Got the pod! Back to Tezacatl...

olmec.jpg
I have the Pod of Might, old one. Here... work your magic.

tezacatl.jpg
Very good. Thank you, sacred one. I will begin at once.

update13_22.jpg

Whoa hey, not sure you're supposed to drink it, old man...oh well, nevermind.

tezacatl.jpg
I go to fulfill my destiny. May my sacrifice save the village.

Tezacatl does battle with Quetzalcoatl. Spoiler: It does not go well.

update13_23.jpg

Also honorable or not what was actually the point of that?

tezacatl.jpg
Ma... ma... m... mask.

olmec.jpg
(Mask) Mask? What mask do you speak of?

tezacatl.jpg
D... death mask his power... c... comes from it.

Could've told me that earlier.

olmecshepard.jpg
Where is it?!

tezacatl.jpg
B... below... the maze...

The whonow to the whatnow?

Anyway Quetzalcoatl can still not be approached. We obviously need the final totem. But we still haven't found "blood that springs from a holy heart and a heart which does not bleed".
One should be obvious now...

update13_24.jpg

Use the copper bowl to gather the Witch Doctor's blood.
And in his hut, we find...

update13_25.jpg

Wait what? A crystal heart in the shape of a Valentine's Heart? What the hell?

update13_26.jpg

update13_27.jpg

The Jaguar Totem looks to be free for picking up, but it's locked into place.

update13_28.jpg

Simple puzzle unless you don't notice the symbols on those wheels match the symbols on the steps leading to the Temple.

update13_29.jpg

See? Match...

update13_30.jpg

...and the totem is yours.

update13_31.jpg

A beam of blue light connects the three temples.

update13_32.jpg

Which then destroys Quetzalcoatl's statue.

Oh man I almost forgot! We should go back to mock the old crone who is now left as the sole surviving member of her family!!

update13_33.jpg

...oh

update13_34.jpg

Placing the three totems on the pedestal where the statue used to be opens up a hole in the ground. Olmec jumps into it, which triggers the third and final piece of Max's discoveries. Did I post the other two? I think so, but just in case here's part 1 and part 2.

update13_35.jpg

And puts us in the maze!

Which I'll leave for an upcoming short update.

(it's a red herring)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
update13_35.jpg

Into the maze we go!

The maze is a short segment to play and even shorter to LP.

update14_1.jpg

The challenge is to reach that mouth-opening above Olmec, and the path is blocked by electrified floors (the purple stuff, they basically switch on and off so you have to time when you walk), the big blocks and portcullis in the way (to the left, they can be opened by pressing levers or hidden switches, like the arm of the statue to the right). Additionally, the ground will sometimes crumble before you. Olmec is no good at jumping so that means finding a different path, as it's probably not a good idea to fall into the endless void below.

update14_2.jpg

Getting zapped by the floor (or later, walls) means you are returned to the starting spot.

update14_3.jpg

Heading south, here is an example of your path getting blocked, by a huge statue thingy falling down and opening a gap.

update14_4.jpg

Again. Have to circle back to reach that console.

update14_5.jpg

Push two of the buttons (left and right, I think) and then the blue one.

update14_6.jpg

update14_7.jpg

This stone near the portcullis is raised, clearing that path, and a bridge is raised between the statue and starting spot.

update14_8.jpg

Just passed that wall-electricity puzzle. This is easier than I thought, another floor-puzzle near the web and it's home free to the exit!

update14_9.jpg

Unless, of course, the ground collapses.

update14_10.jpg

Going back and down for the statue.

update14_11.jpg

Oh yes!

update14_12.jpg

That raised this stone. Another electrified floor timing puzzle, but it's easy enough.

update14_13.jpg

This one is still in the way.

update14_14.jpg

But this map's Escher-like layout lets us circle it. Additionally, we bump into this lever, which lowers the portcullis! Nearly there!!

But it slams shut when we approach!

update14_15.jpg

So yeah the big lever locks the portcullis in place once you've opened it.

olmec.jpg
This lever locks the gate in place.

I just said that.

update14_16.jpg

There it is! The death mask, on top of Quetzalcoatl's corpse.

olmec.jpg
The death mask of Quetzalcoatl!

update14_17.jpg

update14_18.jpg

update14_19.jpg

update14_20.jpg

Oh shit son! Watch out, Quetzalcoatl, it's on now!

Here is the cutscene betwixt the chapters. Better make sure you have some cheap pants on, because you will shit bricks.

update14_21.jpg

The final chapter. One more (sizable) update to go.

Cassidy

Arcane
I wonder what kind of mind dwells in such a fucked up fabricated reality because of reaching a state of comatose. Or were the fucked up things caused by whatever shit Morgan was injecting in Max?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This LP might well be completed tomorrow (not today, won't be online, otherwise I'd do it today). It depends on whether or not it is at the next page.

I wonder what kind of mind dwells in such a fucked up fabricated reality because of reaching a state of comatose. Or were the fucked up things caused by whatever shit Morgan was injecting in Max?

This is the first time Morgan injected Max as far as we know. He's just been in a coma from the car crash. Why does that go into full fucked-up mode? Dunno. Maybe it is something Morgan did to him, but if so it's not immediately clear to me.

lightbane

Arcane
I don't know much about psychology but it's not all "fucked up" if you pay attention. Until now there were certain "patterns" that were repeated all the time:
Children suffering, his guilt for not being able to help them and the confrontation against Morgan. All of the game until now was supposed to be a guilt/remorse-induced nightmare.

That or because dreams are not supposed to make sense *hears Freud coughing*

Also:
cZZFB.png

marooned

Liturgist
Wanting to see the end.

The aztec stage was shit and the maze pretty lame.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
update14_21.jpg

The gauntlet is exactly what the title says, a series of tests. Morgan's poison definitely messed up the world inside Max' head, but luckily he has help.

update15_1.jpg

We are zapped into a magical land of sweets and joy...and joyness

update15_2.jpg

Whu?

update15_3.jpg

Wha?!

update15_4.jpg

What the...

update15_5.jpg

About time you figure it out, Grimwall.

Wait, Grimwall?!!?

update15_6.jpg

So this is how the chapter works: you have these three items: sarah's doll, a grimwall comic and an Aztec statue. Each transforms you into the incarnation you'd expect to be tied to it, and each incarnation has its own unique abilities that you need to pass the tests: Grimwall symbolizes Max' strength and is enormously powerful, Olmec symbolizes his courage and is immune to the elements, Sarah symbolizes his innocence and is small and light.

So yeah, incarnations you can change in a menu with unique abilities that allow you to progress in this dream world. It's almost like someone else stole this concept years later.

Kidding aside, let's move on...

update15_7.jpg

The gauntlet tests also represent chapters in the game. There's the children from the Innocent Abandoned, below is a clown from the Circle of Fools, and we shall later see the chapters the Hive and the Lost Village make an appearance.

grimwall.jpg
A wall of impaled pumpkins.

grimwall.jpg
A giant clown head. What an eyesore.

All the lines are voiced by Max since, well, this is Max, but for variation I'll just use the heads of the incarnation speaking.

The graveyard to the left contains your typical dev jokes...

grimwall.jpg
This headstone says, 'Travis W. Nice goddamn cat!'

grimwall.jpg
A headstone. This one says, 'Chris S. One beer too many.'

Don't see much else there...

I skippped the pumpkin and monster children for now to move further down.

update15_8.jpg

Or I would, only Grimwall can't...

update15_9.jpg

It's morphin time!

olmec.jpg
Who am I now? Have to hold on to my identity... I am Max.

Hang in there, Max!

update15_10.jpg

Your puny thorns are no match for Olmec, WARRIOR OF THE GODS. Bring me your sacrifices and fishermen's widows!

update15_11.jpg

There's more stuff to the right...

update15_12.jpg

That's...that's the angel statue from chapter 1. Horribly smashed. We must restore her!

Let's use our logic to try the "test of strength" with the appropriate incarnation.

Is it...Sarah?

sarah.jpg
Huh. That didn't quite do it.

Of course it isn't you dolt.

update15_13.jpg

Grimwall smash!

grimwall.jpg
Got it!

The clown's mouth opens and spouts hellish flames... It is testament to this game's weirdness that at this point I'm not even fazed by that.

grimwall.jpg
Why are these teeth flashing colors?

update15_14.jpg

I don't blame you. Thankfully we also have incarnations that are more courageous...and immune to fire.

So the teeth flash certain regular colors. These colors match up to the clown's hair (rainbow!). Just click in the right order

update15_15.jpg

And the clown's nose comes loose!

olmec.jpg
The clown's nose popped out. Now there's a small hole.

Small, eh?

update15_16.jpg

Up yo go, little sis. Into the...errr...clown head.

We come out at the ear and you can see what we find...

sarah.jpg
The angelic statue's left wing.

Huzzah!

update15_17.jpg

Sorta kinda freaking me out.

update15_18.jpg

Back at the pumpkins, they appear to light up...but why?

Six of em light up in a certain order. Just repeat, and...

update15_19.jpg

Purification!

olmec.jpg
My God! They... they must have been illusions! Everything is!

The human skull is left levitating, we pick it up. Odd, it's not a part of the angel. Maybe we'll figure it out later...

update15_20.jpg

Exploring further...

olmec.jpg
Those webs will never hold my weight.

Indeed.

update15_21.jpg

Sarah's awesome.

update15_22.jpg

Can't step on the floor. Not even with Olmec.

olmec.jpg
A stone head. It seems to transmit energy to the statue.

olmec.jpg
Impaled Aztec warriors. They're...screaming.

:(
So let's try to move the statue?

olmec.jpg
Ungh. I'm not strong enough to move this thing.

'k

grimwall.jpg
I could move this thing, but that other statue is in the way.

The statue of Quetzalcoatl blocks the way.

grimwall.jpg
These plates on the floor look like they could move.

And they can, but Grimwall's...hoves aren't big enough to push em down. Olmec's giant statue feet are.

You gotta push em in the right order. I didn't notice any hints to what that order is so I just figured it out by trial and error.

update15_23.jpg

With each correct stomp the energy field increases. Here Olmec steps on the final plate...

update15_24.jpg

And the statue is destroyed.

update15_25.jpg

Easy!

The head sinks which brings up...

update15_26.jpg

Looks like a wing!

But how to get rid of the monolith...well, it's blood red color is a hint.

We gotta push the screaming Aztec warriors further down the spikes.

grimwall.jpg
Their wailing could shatter my ear drums.

Ugh. Luckily their wailing is also enough to shatter the crystal.

update15_27.jpg

Well hurrah...

In Sarah-form we go back across the web. I try to open the gate using Grimwall but even his strength can't do that...

On to the next piece then...

update15_28.jpg

A floor of grubs. Ewww. Let's look around...

grimwall.jpg
Sonic disruptor... I've seen that before.

grimwall.jpg
No way to get the disruptor out while it's protected by that force field.

grimwall.jpg
A grate in the floor. There's a tunnel underneath.

The grate is blocked by the mass of grubs crawling over the floor. Need to get the disruptor. But how?

grimwall.jpg
Strange machinery. There are four control levers.

Good thing we got four arms then :smug:

update15_29.jpg

Oh yes!

update15_30.jpg

Grimwall just punted a grub. Extreme. Still need to use the sonic...

update15_31.jpg

Oh yes!

Grimwall is strong enough to open the grate but obviously too big to go into the tunnel underneath...

update15_32.jpg

Good thing we have our Sarah! 'cor, she can't go over those thorns, that's a job for Olmec!

Go team!

update15_33.jpg

Oh. Hmmm. Don't have anything for that. Gotta head back.

update15_34.jpg

Aha!

Searching through the honeycomb uncovers...

sarah.jpg
An insect mandible.

Always useful!

Back up we go. The insect mandible cuts the cord easily, so we return for a third time to find...

update15_35.jpg

Huzzah!

So, we got a torso and two wings. Let's get to it!

update15_36.jpg

update15_37.jpg

update15_38.jpg

Sadly we can't just put the human skull on the angelic body and call it a day.
There's obviously something I missed in the pumpkin area. Let's check those graves more carefully...

Clicking around reveals more jokes, until...

olmec.jpg
The stone reads, 'Jeddah Driscoll'.

This wakes up poor Jeddah!

Wait, Jeddah Driscoll? The father of Larry and Carol (the kiddy corpse you dig up)?

newspaper.jpg
'Local man questioned in wife's death'. Says that Marilyn Driscoll was found in her bathtub, both wrists cut. The police questioned the husband, Jeddah, as a matter of standard procedure.

Can't say I expected to see him again.

update15_39.jpg

What could a headless apparition want but a head. We give it the skull...

update15_40.jpg

olmec.jpg
Cement lid. Looks heavy.

Get to it, Grimwall!

update15_41.jpg

Hurray!

Better not to ask what it was doing on Jeddah's body.

Putting the head on makes the statue zap away...

olmec.jpg
The statue is reassembled, and a portal has opened! The real world must be close... I can feel it! I'd better move quickly!

update15_42.jpg

Let's find out!

update15_43.jpg

We are nearly back in the real world, but Morgan has a final challenge for us.

update15_44.jpg

This one isn't hard or anything but the walking mechanics can make it a bit annoying. Basically the oil/shadows on the ground move between three shapes, covering different tiles. You can't go further up than where the shadow-counterpart is standing now. If the oil forms below you when it changes shape, you are absorbed and taken back to your last position.

So what to do?

update15_45.jpg

Our angel speaks again!

The globes in the hands of the two statues of Olmec begin to glow.

update15_46.jpg

Finding a path through the oil-shadow, Max' counterpart matches every move...

update15_47.jpg

Including smashing the orb!!

update15_48.jpg

Thanks Olmec! Note how a bit of the ground gave way, uncovering part of Max, who is buried beneath the cemetary.

update15_49.jpg

Next up, Grimwall!

grimwall.jpg
You have the strength.

Max' giant face is uncovered...

tboshepard.jpg
No more games, Morgan!

update15_50.jpg

The final orb!

sarahcharming.jpg
You're my hero. I love you.

update15_51.jpg

We escape the madness!

And, uh, the game ends. Rather abruptly. Morgan's evil scheme is undone, Max is now the boss and healing kiddies, and then the closing credits have a weird VA remix thing. That's a bit...unsatisfying...
I kind of figured this game would end on some surprise note. Like the entire game is Max' mind as he is going into shock and dying, this being an insane "life flashing before his eyes" or something. This is kinda...eh.

Oh well, it was a fun ride. Max, Sarah, Grimwall and even Olmec, we salute you and your efforts to fight through these crazy worlds of yours! :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom