Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NV IS UN-FUCKING-PLAYABLE

Shannow

Waster of Time
hal900x said:
Clockwork Knight said:
hal900x said:
I have 20 years in I.T., half of that in software and desktop support, before I moved up the chain into network engineering.

But are you a 40-year old Vice-President of Sales & Marketing, the youngest senior manager in the company?

No?

Fuck off, then.

I don't get it.
He's referring to Vault Dweller, who likes NV.

Edit: I am gettin' kinda uncharacteristically aggro. It's pretty fucking late here. For some reason I refuse to sleep.
Yeah, me too. The new wave of consoltardedness is worse than anything I've experienced on the codex before. And I though Alpha Turd and MEh(2) were bad...

Oh god, I didn't expect that :lol:

I was thinking I'd get chewed out for the second part of my previous post.

hal900x said:
I am gettin' kinda uncharacteristically aggro. It's pretty fucking late here. For some reason I refuse to sleep.

39.gif

edit: It probably should be mentioned that VD wasn't boasting when he said that, it just looks like it out of context.

roll-a-die

Magister
hal900x said:
I'm sitting here trying to come up with a good analogy for the breathtaking ego-centrism, the tiny universe of one, that would produce a statement like "Mine works fine, it must be you!" in reference to ANY pc game. But then I realized what has happened: the Codex has finally been taken over by console fags. Sad, sad day. It all makes sense now. Of course it would be confusing for you, having never experienced the disparity of hardware your Xbox 360, and your many virtual friend's Xbox 360s, happily lack. In your world, it either works for everybody, or nobody. And so it follows that if it works for you, and not someone else, they must be doing something truly ignorant, because after all, aren't these consoles supposed to be idiot-proof?
Note, man, that I didn't say they didn't have a problem, I said, I had no problem, and wasn't sure what the issue was, though, given the mass of possibilities, it could be

1 Codec
2 Drivers
3 Malware
4 Virus's
5 Virus Scanners
6 Firewalls
7 Spyware
8 Graphics firmware
9 Bios issues
10 Fragmented hard drive
11 Faulty ram
12 Conflicting programs
13 Windows XP errors
14 Window's Vista Errors
15 DirectX 9 issues
16 DirectX 10
17 Faulty graphics card
18 Bad sector on hard drive
19 Directx 11
20 Windows 7 issues
21 Memory leak elsewhere
22 actual bug's in programing(though these would feature everywhere not just on certain peoples computers, IE the shitty AI or the shitty path finding would be actual programing bugs, while the crashing would be other things, because it's not present everywhere)
23 Cluttered hard drive
24 Mismatched ram
25 Overheating CPU
26 over heating GPU
27 Power damage
28 Shitty soldering
29 program conflicts
30 Permissions issues
31 cord connection issues
32 dusty case
33 Under powered CPU, GPU and/or RAM
34 mismatched versions of drivers(IS it expects 256.231 and you have 255.231)
35 overactive harddrive
36 too much ram in use
37 not enough power
38 I could go on, but I think that covers allot of what could be causing most peoples issues.

roll-a-die

Magister
Shannow said:
hal900x said:
Clockwork Knight said:
hal900x said:
I have 20 years in I.T., half of that in software and desktop support, before I moved up the chain into network engineering.

But are you a 40-year old Vice-President of Sales & Marketing, the youngest senior manager in the company?

No?

Fuck off, then.

I don't get it.
He's referring to Vault Dweller, who likes NV.

Edit: I am gettin' kinda uncharacteristically aggro. It's pretty fucking late here. For some reason I refuse to sleep.
Yeah, me too. The new wave of consoltardedness is worse than anything I've experienced on the codex before. And I though Alpha Turd and MEh(2) were bad...

Alpha Protocol as with Fallout New Vegas, is decent, good at some point's, shit at others, Meh 2, is mediocre(2 levels under decent, just below, I almost gave a shit) at best, utter trite at a moderate level of happyness, and shit when I'm feeling bad. It declined massively from even the first in the series and is without any sort connection to RPG's at all beyond a paltry action game stat system.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
JrK said:
Most, nay, the VAST MAJORITY of these type of problems are caused by people knowing shit about pc maintainance and having glitchy, worn out, badly optimized and badly maintained windows installs. Perhaps even with malware, or at the very least with all kinds of bloaty software taking up too much of your rig. What is UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE is the amount of people that can't keep their puters running nicely. And then blame the game.

Exactly this.

As a I.T. tech for 25yrs, it never ceases to amaze me how the vast majority of people that spend so much time in front of a computer, both at work and at play, never take the time to learn even the basics of how to use/maintain the fucking things.

One of the reasons I have such little faith in humanity :decline:

OT - I'm about 15hrs into NV and havn't come across a single bug/glitch/crash worth mentioning yet *touches wood*. Averaging 80-100FPS on Ultra too (with only occasional dips into the 30-40's).

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
i think there's a bug with nvidia drivers, try turning water multisampling down to LOW. Game runs fine for me and i have a "shit" computer", everything else is on ultra.

Of course it's gamebryo so have a look at reducing the "max frames to render ahead" in the driver panel.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
hal900x said:
The idiotic smugness of some of the folks here, so self-assured that issues with the game are due to user error, is fucking detestable. You are all patent morons. Here's your logic: My PC runs it fine, hence anyone else having problems just didn't do their homework! Brilliant. I don't suppose it could have anything to do with the fact that you have n different components of hardware in an average homebuilt PC. And then dozens of variables innate to that individual piece. Then you add to that subtle differences in OS, patches and installed software and you have literally billions of possible configurations. Do the math, it's billions. But YOUR computer runs fine, so everyone else is just an idiot. "Must be spyware LOL!"

I have 20 years in I.T., half of that in software and desktop support, before I moved up the chain into network engineering. My computer is quite stable, thank you. And NV freezes up maybe once per hour, after modifying the .ini a bit to correct a possible engine bug, and doing a few other tweaks to reduce the crash rate down from every 10 minutes. The game is buggy. You don't instantly see hundreds of reports across the nets of the same types of issues unless the game is flawed, anyway. But feel free to trumpet the awesomeness of your ignorance anyway. At least that way you have something to say.

This is exactly like the people who talk down at those who cannot run DirectX 6 and 7 games under XP: MINE RUNS FINE, UR DUM! USE THE LAUNCHER LOL. Couldn't be anything to do with the unique interaction of hardware, driver and engine, no. They must be stupid.

No. In a small number of cases it may be true that a dodgy piece of hardware/software may be causing issues - but my experience dealing with this sort of shit tells me that it IS the fucktard driving the bus. Maybe you should think about a change in career if you can't sort it out.

I.O. Errors we call them (Idiot Operator). :smug:

BTW - I have NV running on three different PC's with radically different configs - the older one was having issues till I did a bit of housekeeping and updated all the drivers - no problems since....

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
What's your card, AlaCarcuss? From what I've seen, ATI cards are doing great but the game has problems with some Nvidia ones.

On my main machine - the one that's getting the good framerates - a pair of MSI 460 Hawks in SLI (fairly heavily OC'd). Note, I also replaced the dx9 dll with an older version as suggested on the NVH forums - though I don't really think it made a difference in my case.

My overall specs are:

Core i7 @ 4ghz (well 3.9 sumfin actually)
6GB DDR3
120GB SSD (OS + the game runs from here)
3x2TB raid 0 arrays.

It's a bit of a beast, but as mentioned I'm doing ok on my other boxes too - e.g. 30-40FPS on a 3ghz core duo with an ATI4870.

Dyspaire

Cipher
JrK said:
Most, nay, the VAST MAJORITY of these type of problems are caused by people knowing shit about pc maintainance and having glitchy, worn out, badly optimized and badly maintained windows installs. Perhaps even with malware, or at the very least with all kinds of bloaty software taking up too much of your rig. What is UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE is the amount of people that can't keep their puters running nicely. And then blame the game.

Absolutely goddamn right.

Monkeysphere

Novice
ITT : ppl who dont know anything about computers think they are knowlegable about computers

Eyeball

Arcane
So if my PC runs FO3 fine, is NV likely to cause tons of crashes and butthurt?

gothfox

Liturgist
Eyeball said:
So if my PC runs FO3 fine, is NV likely to cause tons of crashes and butthurt?

I did all the tweaks (d3d9.dll, set water multisampling to low, set prerendered frames for falloutnv.exe to 0, maybe something else?) and it's running real good for me. Stable 60 fps almost everywhere on a GTX 285.

Drakron

Arcane
Well the texture in the weapons is the same problem as FO3, they are the same texture used in the world that is not very high resolution.

Also the engine can screw up and keep displaying the LOD textures and meshes when you close because of the cell border, seem it happen in a road were it keep showing the distant texture even after I was on it, eventually gone back to normal.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Drakron said:
Well the texture in the weapons is the same problem as FO3, they are the same texture used in the world that is not very high resolution.

Also the engine can screw up and keep displaying the LOD textures and meshes when you close because of the cell border, seem it happen in a road were it keep showing the distant texture even after I was on it, eventually gone back to normal.

Damn, i was just about to mention that.

Ancient

Erudite
deus101 said:
Drakron said:

Damn, i was just about to mention that.

Damn, i was just about to mention that i was about to mention that.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
What...changing to a lower resolution texture is nothing, its mesh simplification that's the fun part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom