Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Which BG2 LP style would You prefer?

• The Codex Solo / Core

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • The Codex + 1 helper / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Insane

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 6 new characters / Insane

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not exactly doubles, but yes, if it was for original 89K XP cap, we would've hit level cap already. The increased 161K one gives us one more level up in each class.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I dont remember fighting this much Xvarts, must be because I skipped lower left area of map completely. And a good thing too, other than those Sirens it looks booring.

Anyway sint there a demon somewhere in the wildreness of vanilla? Doesnt it qualify for a boss fight?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I meant 'boss' in a more classic meaning, as a stronger enemy that You first have to reach by cutting through some dungeon (or other area) full of minions, traps and such. Someone like that demon at the bottom of Durlag's Tower.
I guess that makes Mulahey a boss too, and maybe also bandit camp leaders, as a 'group boss'.

Hieromancer

Educated
MicoSelva said:
I meant 'boss' in a more classic meaning, as a stronger enemy that You first have to reach by cutting through some dungeon (or other area) full of minions, traps and such. Someone like that demon at the bottom of Durlag's Tower.
I guess that makes Mulahey a boss too, and maybe also bandit camp leaders, as a 'group boss'.

Yeah, I'd say so. There's also that demon at Ulgoth's Beard after you finish up the Durlag's Tower stuff and Sarevok's lackeys at Iron Throne.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Bonus Update #1: Fighting Borda

Remember our little bet, back from previous update?

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, about that. I actually didn't die in the stronghold, did I?

No, but the bet was about dying in the update.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking semantics!

Anyway, You lost, so I'll execute my right to make You do something very stupid and expect You to take it with a smile.

codex_m.jpg
What will it be?

We have been challenged to attack and kill a merchant we earlier missed near the smurf xvart village. An since we did miss him, the handicap is we have to defeat him right here right now, without any resupplying, only with what we have.

codex_m.jpg
A merchant? Is that all?

Yeah. His name is Borda.

codex_m.jpg
Bring him on, then! Let's get it over with, so I can make it to Friendly Arm Inn and sleep in luxury.

You think you can take him on just like that? Ok then, let's try.

bu1_Baldr000.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sorry, pal, but You're going down for glory of The Codex!

bu1_Baldr001.jpg

Borda deaths: 1

codex_m.jpg
Okay. What the fuck just happenned?

Apparently you were burned by his magic missiles and weren't able to hit him even once due to him being surrounded by mirror images. It all happenned so fast I didn't even have time to screenshot anything.

codex_m.jpg
Right.

Let's try that again, shall we? This time, a little more prepared.

bu1_Baldr002.jpg

We arrive at the destination area again (forgot to save the game first time) and start our preparations by resting for 48 hours.

bu1_Baldr003.jpg

Borda approaches automatically when we are near. We probably missed him first time because The Codex explored this area hidden in shadows most of the time.

bu1_Baldr005.jpg

Right after the dialogue, Borda casts Mirror image. This cannot be prevented, since autopause doesn't work correctly, and I cannot pause manually immediately after dialogue (there's a 'cooldown' of about 2 seconds). I am also unable to click on Borda fast enough if the game isn't paused, because the screen shifts focus after dialogue is finished.
I could probably limit these problems by reducing game's FPS rate from 60 to 15 or so, but of course I'm not going to do that. So, we'll have to deal with Borda mirror imaged every time.
Mirror Image creates five illusionary Bordas. After that, each of the six has equal chance of being hit when we make a successful attack roll against Borda. That means when there's 5 images, every successful attack has 1/6 chance of hitting the real one, with 4 that's 1/5, with 3: 1/4, and so on. A successful hit against an image destroys it.
In the image above we manage to (critically, yay) hit one of the images, but 4 are still intact when The Codex is about to die here.

codex_m.jpg
Gee, thanks for the support...

bu1_Baldr006.jpg

Borda Deaths: 2

codex_m.jpg
That Mirror Image will fuck me real hard. We need a way to deal with it.

Any suggestions?

codex_m.jpg
Multiple attacks at the same time should destroy his images and leave him vulnerable.

Magic Missile then?

codex_m.jpg
Magic Missile it is.

bu1_Baldr007.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, I can do that too, sucker!

bu1_Baldr008.jpg

codex_m.jpg
WTF? Magic resistance?

The Codex only has three missiles at level 5, and we are 'lucky' enough to two of them hit Borda himself and do shit, since he has high magic resistance (more like immunity, actually, since none of our spells worked against him). So, only one image was destroyed.

bu1_Baldr009.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh no! Oh no! Don't kill me!

Yeah, I totally forgot to make The Codex cast Resist Fear, despite knowing Borda will use Horror (he did it before), so we're fucked again.

Borda Deaths: 3 (sory, no death screenshot this time)

bu1_Baldr013.jpg

codex_m.jpg
The Fearless Codex will now enter the scene!

bu1_Baldr016.jpg

We can fart on Horror due to resistance spell now. And the fight is going much better this time. First Magic Missile destroyed two images, and we're in the middle of firing the second one already.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah! You're going down this time, bitch!

bu1_Baldr017.jpg

As you see, it didn't develop very well. Borda still has one image left and The Codex would have to survive the fifth incoming magic missile to be able to continue fighting. Can he do that?

codex_m.jpg
Of course!

bu1_Baldr018.jpg

Not. Of course not.

Borda deaths: 4

bu1_Baldr019.jpg

Another try.

bu1_Baldr020.jpg

Quite good. Only two images left after first MM.

codex_m.jpg
:yeah:

bu1_Baldr021.jpg

The second one only manages to destroy one of them, though.

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

bu1_Baldr022.jpg

It ends on a similar note.

Borda deaths: 5

codex_m.jpg
Ok. This obviously isn't working. I must be able to do more damage to him before he fires up his magic missile for the second time. That's insta-kill.

Exactly. Borda's magic missile barrage can do 20-50 damage (1d4+1 x5, doubled on Insane), which means 42 HP Codex can expect to survive the first one (with a little luck), but two in a row - not really.

codex_m.jpg
So, first: if I hit him, it has to count. We will use arrows of biting from now on, instead of normal ones.

Ok.

codex_m.jpg
Second: I need more speed. And that too can be arranged!

bu1_Baldr023.jpg

codex_m.jpg
He'ssofuckingdeadnow!

bu1_Baldr024.jpg

The first try didn't go quite according to our expectations.

Borda deaths: 6

bu1_Baldr025.jpg

The second attempt looks promising for a moment, but then The Codex suffers two critical misses in a row.

codex_m.jpg

bu1_Baldr026.jpg

Borda deaths: 7

bu1_Baldr027.jpg

Another try. A combination of magic missile(s?) and arrow shooting destroys 3 images.

bu1_Baldr028.jpg

But that's clearly not enough.

Borda daeths: 8

bu1_Baldr029.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes!Dienowfucker!

Finally our plan works like we wanted it too. Borda loses all images, is hit by an arrow of biting and even gets poisoned. Now we'll see if it's enough to defeat him.

bu1_Baldr030.jpg

Apparently not.

Borda deaths: 9

codex_m.jpg
That was quite close! Let's try again!

Alright.

bu1_Baldr031.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes!Fuck!No!Missiles!

It's going reasonably well at first, but the spell we manage to interrupt is Horror, not Magic Missile, unfortunately.

bu1_Baldr032.jpg

Well, let's call it a draw.

Borda deaths: 10

Not sure if the first magic missile barrage killed The Codex, or the fight was longer and it was the second one. Doesn't matter in the long run, though.

codex_m.jpg
This plan is good! It will work! We just need some luck! Let's try again.

So, we try.

bu1_Baldr033.jpg

Again.

Borda deaths: 11

bu1_Baldr034.jpg

And again.

Borda deaths: 12

bu1_Baldr035.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Goinggreat!Alreadyoutofimagesandpoisonedandhe'sonlyjustcastinghorror!

bu1_Baldr036.jpg

Unfortunately, first magic missile series kills The Codex. But yeah, it did look promising.

Borda deaths: 13

bu1_Baldr037.jpg

Here's a little less successful attempt. If we don't manage to hit him even once between his magic missiles, it's a lost cause already.

bu1_Baldr038.jpg

Borda deaths: 14

bu1_Baldr039.jpg

Yet another try...

Borda deaths: 15

bu1_Baldr040.jpg

And another...

Borda deaths: 16

bu1_Baldr041.jpg

Yeah...

Borda deaths: 17

codex_m.jpg
That's it! I give up! This guy's unkillable! His magic shield of cheese is there to fuck me up over and over again, and I don't want to be fucked up like that!

We need to enhance our tactics.

codex_m.jpg
How? We used everything I have at my disposal!

Almost everything. We weren't using Your thief skills.

codex_m.jpg
They are useless in combat and you know it!

We can make them useful, I think.

bu1_Baldr042.jpg

After hitting Borda with Magic Missile, The Codex runs away and hides in shadows.

codex_m.jpg
Thatwasgood. Whatnow?

Another Magic Missile?

bu1_Baldr043.jpg

We hit him with second MM and hide again. He still has two mirror images left.

codex_m.jpg
Notveryimpressive. Ournextstep?

I don't know. I haven't thought that far ahead.

bu1_Baldr044.jpg

Borda deaths: 18

bu1_Baldr045.jpg

Another try of hit&hide. The Codex shoots Borda with second Magic Missile (notice only one mirror image left!), runs away and hides again.

bu1_Baldr046.jpg

There. Image-less, naked and vulnerable!

codex_m.jpg
I'mgonnafuckhimupnow!

bu1_Baldr047.jpg

Borda deaths: 19

bu1_Baldr048.jpg

This plan has one major flaw - hiding doesn't always work.

Borda deaths: 20

bu1_Baldr049.jpg

Sometimes we are just unlucky. Here we can see The Codex running away tactically retreating to find a hiding spot, when a wolf is encountered.

codex_m.jpg
Fuckit'soneofthemtorpedowolves!

bu1_Baldr050.jpg

Yeah, wolves from this area still have that insane bonus to first strike critical hit chance. That's fourth one we meet here, and fourth one which does that.

bu1_Baldr051.jpg

Borda deaths: 21

Probably Borda, yeah. Could be the wolf, though.

bu1_Baldr052.jpg

Another try. We manage to destroy two mirror images, but The Codex is hit with magic missiles. We use stealth to retreat out of Borda's range.

codex_m.jpg
Dammitskillsdon'tfailmenow!

bu1_Baldr053.jpg

After healing himself, The Codex attacks with magic missile to destroy the rest of image-Bordas.

bu1_Baldr054.jpg

It doesn't work.

Borda deaths: 22

bu1_Baldr055.jpg

Failing stealth. Yeah.

Borda deaths: 23

bu1_Baldr056.jpg

The Codex hide in shadows kicks in once per 3, maybe 4 tries. These screenshots are those other 3 of 4.

Borda deaths: 24

bu1_Baldr057.jpg

Yup.

Borda deaths: 25

bu1_Baldr058.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes!

Best attempt so far. Not only we manage to destroy all Borda's images and hide, but the one arrow shot at him hits and poisons the bastard. The Codex gets his share of pain from magic missiles, but is able to retreat and heal.

codex_m.jpg
Let'snotfuckthisupthistime!

bu1_Baldr059.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sneakattackbitch!

bu1_Baldr060.jpg

codex_m.jpg
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!

The Codex gets another five magic missiles to the face, but drinking a healing potion between missile #4 and #5 saves his life (credit to autopause for that feat). Borda, already hurt by poison, doesn't survive the combination of sneak attack and fast arrow shooting and finally dies.

codex_m.jpg

bu1_Baldr061.jpg

The loot.

codex_m.jpg

bu1_Baldr062.jpg

A sword for sale.

codex_m.jpg
Kindalame.

bu1_Baldr063.jpg

bu1_Baldr064.jpg

Both 'protection' scrolls are in fact cursed. Combine that with only 900 XP for killing Borda. Yeah. Not really worth the effort.

codex_m.jpg

bu1_Baldr065.jpg

After a quick 248-hour rest to heal, The Codex returns back on track, to adventure.

codex_m.jpg
I think I'm cured of gambling for life. I'm not making another bet ever again.
------------------------

Last edited:

taplonaplo

Scholar
Nice job! Magic missiles on insane are just ridiculous. Personally, i just trapped out his mirror image spell, after that he goes down reasonably fast... to a party of 6.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I tried setting traps too (and some other tactics - reload count from this update would've been a bit higher than death count), but with Set Trap skill level of 10 I actually had a higher chance of critical failure and damaging myself than of success and only got frustrated.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Damn. You have the persistence of a mental ill obsessive compulsive.

There is nothing in a game I would try 26 times unless I absolutely had to.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Re-checked: shield SHOULD block magic missiles in 2ED. Please reload an earlier save if You have one and report results. That would hilarious if true...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Sorry, but no hilarity this time.

Maybe in p&p AD&D it works that way and I don't know about vanilla BG1, but in tutu - check out screenshots below.

shield_try_001.jpg

shield_try_002.jpg

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I do remember it working in vanilla BG2 so perhaps its a TUTU bug. Or it wasnt implemented in BG1.

Anyway good job with fighting Borda. If level cap is still there You will face many similar fights in the future when it comes to difficulty.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Serious_Business said:
There's no way you can get through this without removing the level cap

Wands, scrolls and potions? He will have gold out of his ass so buying few items for each occasion should do. But it WILL be hard. Actually it IS hard right now but only because he is stingy with his gold.

Hieromancer

Educated
Serious_Business said:

I disagree. I've soloed with a F/M/T on insane before, it's actually not too hard. Though I did skip Durlag's Tower and most of the other obnoxious, godawful TotSC stuff.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #12: Killing People For Money

It is finally time for us to head to Nashkel mines. Only one area on the way, fortunately.

But first, we are one sword short, so we head to Friendly Arm Inn.

up12_Baldr000.jpg

It's actually the last one they have, so I hope luck is on our side and no more swords break.

up12_Baldr002.jpg

We also buy skull trap from Thalantyr, since he doesn't have fireball for sale. :x

up12_Baldr003.jpg

Maximum discount we get from reputation is 30% instead of promised 50% - or maybe the initial price was increased due to negative reaction roll. Friends spell doesn't help, so we're still 6000 GP short. :x

codex_m.jpg
There must be a way to get it before reaching Nashkel mines.

Yeah, switching the armour back and forth is a pain in the ass... Maybe we can use the 'Borda approach'?

codex_m.jpg
Meaning?

Meaning we will attack random people in the wilderness, and steal their stuff.

codex_m.jpg
I'm not really comfortable with that. I'm chaotic neutral, not evil. But...

Yes?

codex_m.jpg
If they can get provoked into fighting, that doesn't count as us attacking them, right? :smug:

I like the way You're thinking.

up12_Baldr004.jpg

Our next stop.

up12_Baldr005.jpg

Area entrance stats. Only one level up in each class left, and none of them will happen in this update, I'm afraid.

up12_Baldr006.jpg

149 days, and we're still in Chapter #1.

codex_m.jpg
You fail at this game hard.

up12_Baldr007.jpg

A cave bear for a good start of the update :thumbsup:

codex_m.jpg
Come to papa!

up12_Baldr009.jpg

Can't think of a witty comment here.

codex_m.jpg
You consider Your other comments witty? That's some major self-delusion there.

up12_Baldr010.jpg

Kobolds. They will become our new favourite enemy pretty soon, I guess.

codex_m.jpg
Anything other than farts is good.

Gibberlings!

codex_m.jpg
Fuck you. I got over that ages ago.

up12_Baldr011.jpg

The xvart-killing way is equally effective against kobolds.

up12_Baldr012.jpg

codex_m.jpg
It so sucks to be these guys now.

up12_Baldr013.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Done and done.

up12_Baldr014.jpg

A few steps further, we meet these three guys.

codex_m.jpg
'These three guys'? That's Larry, Darryl and Darryl!

Who?

up12_Baldr015.jpg

codex_m.jpg
It's so great to meet You! I'm Your biggest fan, guys!

You are?

up12_Baldr016.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Thank You so much!

But who are they? Ah, fuck it.

up12_Baldr017.jpg

codex_m.jpg
:thumbsup:

Right after that exciting event, we run into some skeletons:
up12_Baldr018.jpg

codex_m.jpg
No sweat!

up12_Baldr019.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Uh. It would be a good time to cast skul trap, I think.

I'm afraid we forgot to rest to prepare it.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck! :x

up12_Baldr020.jpg

Skeletons hit hard, so The Codex retreats a little.

up12_Baldr021.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I don't feel like fighting them, so I'll just sneak past.

That's cheating!

up12_Baldr022.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Dammit!

Ah, the karma got You. What are You going to do now?

up12_Baldr023.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Now? I'm going to die.

Run away!

up12_Baldr024.jpg

Yeah, that wasn't our best performance there.

Death count: 41

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
If I'm to fight these guys, I want my skull trap.

Let's rest, then.

up12_Baldr025.jpg

codex_m.jpg
AAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!

:cry:

up12_Baldr026.jpg

:godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

up12_Baldr028.jpg

We manage to rest at second attempt.

codex_m.jpg
I'm going to fuck up those skeletons now!

up12_Baldr029.jpg

codex_m.jpg

:obviously:

up12_Baldr030.jpg

:dizzy:

up12_Baldr031.jpg

:violin:

up12_Baldr032.jpg

:clap:

up12_Baldr033.jpg

:hug:

up12_Baldr034.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Noooooo! FUCK! I just killed you guys!

:stupid:

up12_Baldr039.jpg

:blah:

up12_Baldr040.jpg

Smurfs Xvarts managed to wound our hero, so we rest a bit.

up12_Baldr041.jpg

Oh, look. It's Albert.

codex_m.jpg
I know what You're going to say. Here's your answer: no. I'm not going to attack him.

Please? Just once?

codex_m.jpg
No! He'll just kill me and you know it!

You won't even try, although that might get You closer to robe of archmagi?

codex_m.jpg
Ah, fuck it! Ok, just one try.

up12_Baldr043.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I already regret agreeing to this.

up12_Baldr044.jpg

Yeah, this. No animation even (child sprite doesn't seem to have attack animation). The Codex just dropped dead.

Death count: 42

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
Ok. Enough. Let's move on.

up12_Baldr042.jpg

I guess, we'll just do the quest instead.

up12_Baldr045.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I think I'll just get all your money instead, guys!

up12_Baldr046.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Some of us definitely are, yes.

up12_Baldr047.jpg

Vax quickly falls, but Zal manages to hurt The Codex.

codex_m.jpg
12 damage from a dart? That's fucking cheating!

up12_Baldr048.jpg

A deadly archery/darth-throwing duel begins.

codex_m.jpg
I'll show you, who's the better killer here, pal!

up12_Baldr049.jpg

Zal wins.

Death count: 43

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Well, that was stupid, I have to say.

Yes, we didn't really use the best tactics. Let's try that again.

up12_Baldr050.jpg

But before we have a chance for that, we need to reach Vax & Zal (no save immediately before meeting them). And this time there's a winter wolf on the way.

codex_m.jpg
Good. I could use another pelt.

up12_Baldr051.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Great! Nice shootin', bow! You rock as always!

up12_Baldr052.jpg

Time for the second attempt at Vax & Zal.

up12_Baldr053.jpg

codex_m.jpg
OW! Fuck! My liver!

Yeah, not a good start this time. Vax can hit hard, it seems.

codex_m.jpg
Healing potion!

up12_Baldr054.jpg

And right on time, since that dart would've killed The Codex if he hadn't healed himself.

up12_Baldr055.jpg

Unfortunately, it only delayed the inevitable.

Death count: 44

Reloading the game.

codex_m.jpg
Weren't we supposed to use some kind of different tactics than the first time?

Well, we were planning to attack Zal at melee range, after Vax is killed.

codex_m.jpg
Maybe we should start with that, then. Zal is obviously the bigger threat here.

Ok.

up12_Baldr056.jpg

codex_m.jpg
How do you like that, HUH!?

Zal isn't very tough up close and goes down rather fast.

up12_Baldr057.jpg

Vax gets a couple of lucky shots in, though.

codex_m.jpg
The stinker!

up12_Baldr058.jpg

But his luck runs out fast.

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah! Sword shows how it should be done!

up12_Baldr059.jpg

Zal had magical bracelets.

codex_m.jpg
I hope it's not something useless like those dexterity gloves back then.

up12_Baldr060.jpg

Some healing potions from Vax.

codex_m.jpg
The sucker should've used them. All the better for me!

up12_Baldr061.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sweet! Now I'm going to be an even better archer than before.

up12_Baldr062.jpg

THAC0 = 8 gives us 60% (or is it 65?) chance of hitting someone with AC = 0. Not bad.

up12_Baldr063.jpg

Recovery from the quite tough fight takes The Codex 232 hours.

codex_m.jpg
And days keep passing...

up12_Baldr064.jpg

Kobolds. Yay.

codex_m.jpg
I know the drill for these.

up12_Baldr065.jpg

codex_m.jpg
First: Sleep

up12_Baldr066.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Second: Whaaa...? Only one kobold?

There's a second one to the left, but it wasn't affected.

codex_m.jpg
What a waste of magic!

up12_Baldr067.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm starting to dislike you puppies!

Aren't they some kind of small lizard people?

codex_m.jpg
Third edition.

Oh.

up12_Baldr068.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Heh. I guess I should just get used to fighting them.

Probably.

up12_Baldr069.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headsho-OW!

Hahaha, the damage You do to him with your arrows is about half of that he does to You. You suck.

codex_m.jpg
Or you can say that I did over 200% of his HP in one shot damage, and he did only 38% of mine... Shit. 38%. A kobold. That sucks.

Yes.

up12_Baldr070.jpg

A quick 128-hour rest.

up12_Baldr071.jpg

Another winter wolf is encountered.

codex_m.jpg
The more pelts I have, the better!

up12_Baldr072.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Shit! Fuck! Cock-sucker!

That 2x20 damage was actually done in one hit. The last level up's +4HP is really a life-saver here.

up12_Baldr073.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, bow! You are almost as awesome as me!

up12_Baldr074.jpg

Rest attempt is interrupted by some foul undead.

codex_m.jpg
Quiet there, I'm trying to sleep, goddammit!

up12_Baldr075.jpg

Ok. I honestly did not expect this outcome.

Death count: 45

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Let's all quickly forget that pitiful incident.

up12_Baldr076.jpg

This time a quick 248-hour rest heals all wounds of The Codex.

up12_Baldr077.jpg

:yikes:

up12_Baldr080.jpg

:poop:

up12_Baldr081.jpg

We encounter some more people that can be killed and robbed of their possessions. There are two more, besides the woman The Codex talks to.

codex_m.jpg
What an insolent bitch. I will cut her down with pleasure!

up12_Baldr082.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, yeah, fuck you too.

up12_Baldr083.jpg

Combat starts with The Codex getting two arrows to the face.

codex_m.jpg
Retreat!

up12_Baldr084.jpg

Unfortunately the retreat route we choose is not optimal.

codex_m.jpg
The fuck? Not now!

up12_Baldr085.jpg

Sendai is paralyzed, so we can take control of the situation a bit.

up12_Baldr086.jpg

Unfortunately, her two friends follow (not pictured) and the combat doesn't resolve in a way favourable for The Codex.

Death count: 46

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Let's use some tactics and maybe approach them one at a time.

up12_Baldr087.jpg

Second attempt. We manage to stay out of Delgod's sight range, but not Alexander's.

up12_Baldr088.jpg

Retreat ends on a note similar to the previous one.

codex_m.jpg
That's stupid, actually. Why would those fucking farts ignore them and attack me only? That doesn't make any sense!

up12_Baldr089.jpg

Sendai is paralyzed once more. She hits hard in melee, and it's best to avoid that if possible. It would be best to put the xvarts to sleep now, but I can't remove The Codex' armour during combat.

codex_m.jpg
Another reason to finally buy that goddamned robe.

up12_Baldr090.jpg

Alexander is not as tough a fighter and quickly goes down.

codex_m.jpg
Mwahahaha! Eat dick, dickeater!

up12_Baldr091.jpg

We also eliminate Sendai while she's still paralyzed.

codex_m.jpg
Too bad we're not alone, or I would've shown her some...

Don't.

up12_Baldr092.jpg

:twisted:

up12_Baldr093.jpg

Some nice loot.

up12_Baldr094.jpg

Magic arrows - also nice.

codex_m.jpg
No wonder they managed to hit me that easily.

up12_Baldr095.jpg

These are basic +1 arrows. Should prove useful where arrows of biting suck - like against enemies immune to poison.

up12_Baldr096.jpg

More foul undead interrupting our rest.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, no, guys! Not this time!

up12_Baldr097.jpg

codex_m.jpg
From dust to dust, as they say!

I don't think they say that in this world.

up12_Baldr098.jpg

A quick 208-hour rest.

up12_Baldr100.jpg

We decide to approach Delgod cautiously. Mostly not to let him use up too much of his magic arrows shooting us.

up12_Baldr101.jpg

There he is. Probably totally lost in his thoughts since he didn't even notice that his two friends disappeared over a week ago!

codex_m.jpg
I'll backstab the living shit out of him... Or even better, let's finally try my new spell!

up12_Baldr102.jpg

If You insist.

up12_Baldr103.jpg

7+12 damage. Not bad, but could be better.

up12_Baldr104.jpg

He doesn't have much HP left and dies quickly.

codex_m.jpg
How do you like them arrows to the face!? Huh!? Not very pleasant, are they!?

up12_Baldr105.jpg

He's similar to Alexander loot-wise.

up12_Baldr106.jpg

While roaming the wilderness, we encounter Albert's dog - Rufie.

codex_m.jpg
I totally forgot about that quest.

up12_Baldr107.jpg

Despite the dialogue, we don't actually get any kind of material reward (the same glitch that appeared with golden pantaloons?).

up12_Baldr108.jpg

Albert's true form.

codex_m.jpg
Looks pretty badass.

up12_Baldr109.jpg

1000 XP is not too shabby.

up12_Baldr110.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
Great! Let's now sell all the stuff we found here and finally buy me my robe!

We might still be short on cash, but let's try.

up12_Baldr111.jpg

We are am.... ahem, waylaid by a ghast on the way back.

codex_m.jpg
Want to guess what else appears in one second?

Hobgoblins?

codex_m.jpg
Gnolls, maybe?

up12_Baldr112.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh, look, nothing more appeared.

Yup. Nothing at all. Good for us.

up12_Baldr113.jpg

Standards anti-ghast tactics: do not let it touch You.

up12_Baldr115.jpg

There's also an ogrillon here.

codex_m.jpg
That doesn't make any... Ah, fuck it!

up12_Baldr116.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Die, immigrant pervert!

up12_Baldr117.jpg

Some skeletons follow us to Thalantyr's house.

codex_m.jpg
Sorry, guys, not in the mood to fight you. Maybe some other time.

up12_Baldr118.jpg

Area transition - best way to get rid of enemies following you. :thumbsup:

up12_Baldr120.jpg

Unless of course they are using BG2-like rule 'enemies follow through area transition'.

codex_m.jpg
Always work to be done, not a moment of peace!

up12_Baldr121.jpg

They are no challenge of course.

codex_m.jpg
Now, can I finally buy my robe?

up12_Baldr123.jpg

Loot identification. Nice armour here.

codex_m.jpg
What's more important: expensive armor.

up12_Baldr122.jpg

A standard +1 longsword.

up12_Baldr124.jpg

After selling basically everything that could be sold - except the autograph...

codex_m.jpg
IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

...we are finally able to buy the robe, although it eats almost all our funds.

codex_m.jpg

up12_Baldr125.jpg

The Codex' AC is now at 0, which is a bit worse than the earlier -1, but we can freely use every thief skill and wizard spell while wearing the robe. That's a huge :incline: .

up12_Baldr126.jpg

The robe also improves The Codex' saving throws.

up12_Baldr127.jpg

And gives him 5 percent resistance to magic.

codex_m.jpg
Better than nothing, I guess, but not by much.

up12_Baldr128.jpg

With the amount of money we now have, selling these doesn't seem as stupid as it did a few moments before...

up12_Baldr129.jpg

Excess stuff is put into our stash at Friendly Arm Inn.

codex_m.jpg
I hope my autograph is safe here.

Yeah, let's look at it again.

up12_Baldr017.jpg

codex_m.jpg
:thumbsup:

Seriously, WTF?
------------------------------------------

Next time: we try to get on with the plot and are in for a major disappointment.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Two things:

1) Newhart was pretty funny.

"I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl."

2) Use ShadowKeeper to change your avatar to a mage now that you are wearing robes.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I never watched Newhart, so only decided to imply that The Codex did, since I don't know any details of the show. Besides Baldur's Gate, I know one more shout out to Larry, Darryl & Darryl - in Bloodhound Gang's Right Turn Clyde.

I'm going to leave the avatar as it is - would've switched it if The Codex dual classed to mage, but since nothing actually changed class-wise, I'll let it be. Also, I don't want to fire up Shadkowkeeper for the first time, since the tempatation to use again and again (there is some tweaking I'd gladly do) would be too strong.

Hieromancer said:
Serious_Business said:

(...) it's actually not too hard. (...)

What he said.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #13: Nashkel Mines, part I

What do You say to starting following the plot? You've got Your robe, and I think we've delayed it long enough.

codex_m.jpg
I say yes!

up13_Baldr001.jpg

Finally able to click on this area.

up13_Baldr002.jpg

Nashkel Mines. Not the most direct route we took to get here.

codex_m.jpg
You don't say...

up13_Baldr003.jpg

Area entry stats. No level up incoming this time too.

up13_Baldr004.jpg

Eternal sirine is still here. Number of kills has exceeded 750. I wonder when will we reach 1000.

up13_Baldr005.jpg

We are spawned near to this buliding, so let's take a look inside.

codex_m.jpg
A warehouse. I bet there are rats inside.

up13_Baldr006.jpg

War dogs. You were close.

codex_m.jpg
How is that close?

up13_Baldr007.jpg

The Codex slaughters poor, innocent...

codex_m.jpg
Not listening.

up13_Baldr010.jpg

There's some searching to be done here.

up13_Baldr011.jpg

The only loot worth mentioning is this healing potion..

up13_Baldr012.jpg

Soon after leaving the warehouse we meet some of our new best friends.

codex_m.jpg
I don't get it. There's obviously a ton of kobolds roaming the area, and still miners think that they are attacked by 'demons'. How stupid are they, exactly?

up13_Baldr013.jpg

Two down. Three million to go.

up13_Baldr014.jpg

I'm considering the 'random emote treatment' for these guys too.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, but there's a good part to fighting them. They sometimes drop arrows, so I don't have to worry about resupplying that often.

Arrows that you'll most likely use to kill more kobolds.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, my life sucks. Anything else is new?

up13_Baldr018.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

up13_Baldr019.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Wow, a ghoul! Some variety, at least.

Don't let it touch You. The bad touch lasts for life, You know.

codex_m.jpg
This one definitely does.

up13_Baldr020.jpg

There were two ghouls, actually. All the same for The Codex.

codex_m.jpg
And my bow!

gimli.jpg
And my AXE!

...?

codex_m.jpg
What the fuck was that?

Let's just move on.

up13_Baldr025.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Free XP!

up13_Baldr026.jpg

I'm thinking that bear extinction might happen sooner than expected if You keep killing them like that.

codex_m.jpg
No worries, more will spawn.

up13_Baldr028.jpg

We meet some gnome running away from kobolds.

codex_m.jpg
See? Told you everyone knows about kobolds here!

up13_Baldr029.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Wait, fucker! I didn't say I am going to help you!

up13_Baldr030.jpg

Four kobolds.

codex_m.jpg
Didn't he say there are dozens of them?

What's the difference?

codex_m.jpg
Ten seconds?

up13_Baldr031.jpg

codex_m.jpg
That last one really thought he'll get a shot at me. That's kinda cute.

up13_Baldr032.jpg

This guy's name is Prism. He's an emo artist, but we'll help him anyway, because it nets us ph47 l007.

up13_Baldr035.jpg

Prism stole some gems to create the perfect sculpture's of a woman he's in love with. There's a quest to get them back. Since BG doesn't really have C&C, we can both help Prism and get the gems back. Stupid, I know.

codex_m.jpg
All the better for me.

up13_Baldr036.jpg

There's another bounty hunter after Prism - Greywolf. We're now going to kill him, but that's ok, since he's evil.

codex_m.jpg
Are you sure?

No, but who cares?

up13_Baldr037.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes, WE are armed to the teeth and WE mean to stop you.

I'm not armed.

codex_m.jpg
I was referring to myself, the bow and the sword.

How are they armed?

codex_m.jpg
Will you stop with the fucking semantics?

up13_Baldr038.jpg

All those conversations were apparently very tiring, because The Codex becomes fatigued just at the start of combat. Great timing there, game. :thumbsup:

codex_m.jpg
Tired or not, I'm going to kill him anyway!

up13_Baldr039.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ow! Ow! Ow!

It's quite an even fight, but only because we score a critical hit.

up13_Baldr040.jpg

Shit.

Death count: 47

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
How about we use the fact that I can now cast spells during combat to my advantage?

Sorry, forgot.

up13_Baldr041.jpg

We rest 8 hours to have the optimal spell set prepared.

up13_Baldr042.jpg

The second attempt.

up13_Baldr043.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Blur should make me a little harder to hit... Why exactly haven't I cast it before combat?

That's a really good question there.

up13_Baldr044.jpg

codex_m.jpg
BOO!

up13_Baldr045.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Hahaha! You're so dead now!

up13_Baldr046.jpg

codex_m.jpg
WTF? Worn off already?

Should've been shooting faster, I guess.

up13_Baldr047.jpg

Yeah, a bit better, but we're not there yet.

Death count: 48

codex_m.jpg
I wouldn't have run of time if we cast blur before combat!

up13_Baldr048.jpg

Let's do that now.

up13_Baldr049.jpg

Horror didn't work this time, unfortunately.

codex_m.jpg

up13_Baldr050.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Calm down, wolfie, I'm actually your friend! Really!

up13_Baldr051.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I can't believe the sucker actually bought it!

up13_Baldr052.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Move away a bit, I have a gift for you to seal in our friendship!

up13_Baldr053.jpg

Only 8 damage - kinda sucky.

up13_Baldr054.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I've got more. Kameha... I mean: Magic Missile!

up13_Baldr055.jpg

We also try Sleep, but greywolf is probably too high-level for that, because there's no 'save vs spell' message and it just doesn't work.

up13_Baldr056.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Dammit! You're not killing me for the third time!

up13_Baldr057.jpg

Or is he?

Death count: 49

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
No comments. Let's just kill the fucker.

up13_Baldr058.jpg

Fourth attempt doesn't start all that good.

codex_m.jpg
OW! FUCK THAT HURT!

up13_Baldr059.jpg

codex_m.jpg
LOOK THERE'S YOUR MOTHER IN LAW THERE!

And it actually worked this time.

codex_m.jpg
Of course it did!

up13_Baldr060.jpg

codex_m.jpg
There, wolfie! Catch!

up13_Baldr061.jpg

We move in to cast Magic Missile - a little too close unfortunately - The Codex gets into his own skull trap's range. Luckily, since the spell isn't hostile-cast it only deals regular not double damage.

up13_Baldr062.jpg

codex_m.jpg
YES! I SHALL WEAR YOUR JAW AS A NECKLACE!

A nicely timed critical hit helps to cement our victory. Two-handed weapon fighting style is a worthwile investment after all. I once was able to defeat the shadow dragon from BG2 with three such crits in a row - lucky.

up13_Baldr063.jpg

The loot.

up13_Baldr064.jpg

+2 longsword 'Varscona' is probably the best one-handed sword in the game, unless You count the +3 short sword of backstabbing which You get five minutes before endgame...

codex_m.jpg
Not two-handed? Lame.

up13_Baldr066.jpg

Finishing Prism's quest nets reputation, which we might need later, so we're going to ignore him for now. Instead, we rest and move on.

up13_Baldr067.jpg

Back to exploring - we meet a winter wolf.

codex_m.jpg
Here, pelty-pelty...

up13_Baldr068.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Nice shooting, bow!

up13_Baldr069.jpg

codex_m.jpg
There, in the tree-hollow. I see something.

Let's check, then.

up13_Baldr070.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Nice! :thumbsup:

up13_Baldr071.jpg

8d6 damage area-wise. Could prove very useful indeed.

codex_m.jpg
Sweet!

up13_Baldr073.jpg

We talk to Emerson the mine caretaker to gain access inside.

codex_m.jpg
One day? Yeah, right.

up13_Baldr074.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Move away, pottyhead!

up13_Baldr075.jpg

And we gut fucked by the game once again. It seems that in order to enter the mines, we need to have reached Chapter #2 and getting here doesn't trigger that. We'll have to go to Nashkel and come back.

codex_m.jpg
What? That's just fucking stupid!
------------------------------------------

Next time: An extremely boring interesting update in which The Codex doesn't die.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ahh Nashkel mines.The uh boring part of uh largely boring game. Yep, now I remember why I prefer BG2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom