Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's walk the streets of Silent Hill (Complete !)

CrimHead

Scholar
Great update :salute:

ghostdog said:
Now that I think of it, there's another reason SH3&4 have failed. They don't have many open urban areas (as far as I can remember at least). The feeling of desolation when running around the misty roads of Silent Hill added a lot to the game.

This is true. SH4 has none of that, and SH3 has only a brief section where you walk through Silent Hill. I think konami started to go popamole after 2. I can only imagine how laboriously slow the exploration of SH1 and 2 would have seemed to just an every day gamer, for instance. But these sections really do help immerse you in the city and drench you in an awesome atmosphere of isolation. Eileen's inclusion in SH4 was just a gigantic fuck up in this regard. I like Silent Hill 1 and 2 because you feel so desperately, depressingly alone while playing them. This sensation simply isn't possible with a companion.

Cassidy

Arcane
Either I missed it, or unlike the Lizard there were no references to the moth, not even after the boss, I guess it's another obscure symbolism left unexplained in-game

Having played SH1-4, imo the first two are my favorite. I really enjoyed 2 almost as much as the first game in a "more refined, smarter, and yet less intriguing game" way. If you will.

And then you have Fog World ffs.

Had a tougher time with the puzzles in 2. And it was a nice touch that James would recognize objects by turning his head.

Where has James seen this before? :smug:

silent-hill-2.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Cassidy said:
Either I missed it, or unlike the Lizard there were no references to the moth, not even after the boss, I guess it's another obscure symbolism left unexplained in-game
The giant worm you fight previously presumably turns into the moth. As for references, I'm not entirely sure, but I think we'll find some later.

RottingNaziSurfer said:
Where has James seen this before? :smug:
Heh

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Where the hell are we ? The mark of Samael is set on the floor, and bloody, bandaged bodies hang from the walls...

9iyfkn.jpg

There's a door, Let's see what's beyond...

2j5icuw.jpg

Huh ? The antique shop ?

i6cuur.jpg

Oh crap.

35avprk.jpg

The "other" Silent Hill just invaded the outdoor areas of the town...

Code:
Chapter XVIII :

.oPYo.                o                  o  
8    8                8                  8  
8      .oPYo. odYo.  o8P .oPYo. .oPYo.  o8P 
8      8    8 8' `8   8  .oooo8 8    '   8  
8    8 8    8 8   8   8  8    8 8    .   8  
`YooP' `YooP' 8   8   8  `YooP8 `YooP'   8  
:.....::.....:..::..::..::.....::.....:::..:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The rain falls through the metal floor producing an unnerving sound. Below our feet there's only darkness. In the distance we can make out a Romper, let's see how the hammer fares against him.

b4ymma.jpg

292b1qe.jpg

2unvwxh.jpg

...Not that good. We have to use the shotgun to get rid of the bugger.

124ecdf.jpg

Our visibility is even worse than before, monsters can easily surprise us, we must use extreme caution. We head north to see what lies there...

2n3fjc.jpg

Nothing lies there, nothing but a dark void. We decide to go the opposite way. Suddenly something jumps on us...

jztrw6.jpg

All we can see is jaws and rabid eyes... We manage to take it down and decide to have a closer look.

fac0lh.jpg

It looks like the dogs we've previously encountered, but this one has a head teeming with worms... constantly shifting through his mouth, eyes and ears. This one was also sturdier than the dog. Maybe this "other" place can also distort the monsters.

The fight brought us in front of the Town Hall. There's an opening leading in. Let's check it out.

2uzs7pf.jpg

It's quiet... I don't like this.

35b6vs4.jpg

549g0n.jpg

There's a "Vestal Gigastore" here :smug: and some video screens.

1h709i.jpg

5x34ti.jpg

OK then, maybe we should take the stairs up...

2lkd2bs.jpg

WHAT THE-

wc0ifd.jpg

142wrj4.jpg

2mwrq1c.jpg

HELL ?!

5bdw9h.jpg

2q1avf9.jpg

WHO... ?

34flcnr.jpg

Daddy ?

2ez4w1h.jpg

...where are you ?

2wmm0b8.jpg

Daddy...

wqua8l.jpg

Where... are... you...

1py14p.gif

30rtk7m.png
Cheryl ?

211s41h.jpg

30rtk7m.png
WAIT, CHERYL !!!

This game is cruel to daddies :(

16asm1l.jpg

The image of Cheryl vanishes, leaving Harry devastated. Various occult symbols start appearing on the screens...

2vuy8ex.gif

What meaning these symbols have, I don't know. What we do know, though, is that Cheryl is alive and that she tried to contact us somehow. Not all hope is lost then.

11kdxsn.jpg

I think it's time we explored the 1st floor.

nwk5t4.jpg

The radio starts hissing again. We look around but see nothing.

2j41pqe.jpg

One of the shops here is a jewelry store. Apparently, its door is open...

30kvw9w.jpg

20r1isn.jpg

It's the KAZANIAN jew-elry store. Strangely enough we don't find any jewels here. Instead, we find some rifle ammo. Wait minute... RIFLE ammo ? But we don't have a rifle ! Or should I say, we don't have a rifle... yet :smug:

14m3lo1.jpg

There's also a save point here but nothing more of importance. We better leave the store and find out why our radio is hissing...

11abjac.jpg

Hmm... Is there something in the distance ?

2hq8a6p.jpg

Whoa ! There's a dead body here and it's being eaten by giant worms. This must be the cause of the radio static.

xx3id.jpg

Maybe we should have a closer loo- ooooOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHH !!

j8f9ky.jpg

ke69fb.jpg

s5cx0o.jpg

GOTDAM ! Well, at least it seems Harry is still in one piece...

25p7l8l.jpg

I mean, things could be worse, righ-

f6urb.jpg

HOLY SHIT !

2i7y8sk.jpg

24pl76d.jpg

Did I say those worms before were gigantic ? Well I was wrong. THIS one here is a gigantic worm/centipede thing and the ones before must have been his babies. I'm guessing Harry is his meal.

2yzixx4.jpg

The thing went back into the ground. We must move.
Hey, is that the showcase of a gun-store ?

5vover.jpg

All right ! There's a rifle he-

34ht5ht.jpg

Crap, the worm just leaped up from the ground, threw toxic gas on our face and tried to bite our leg off. Then it went back underground. Well, at least we took the rifle.

5arp5h.jpg

The rifle is very powerful, but the downside is that you can't move while aiming and the ammo is scarce. Right now we only have one ammo clip, so we'll stick to the other ranged weapons.

2cd71ut.jpg

What we have to do is to constantly move, in order to avoid the worm when it emerges from the ground. If we stay still, it will appear behind us and surprise buttseks us.

if7djn.jpg

If we evade its initial attack then we have the opportunity to land a few hits before it goes back underground. This strategy works pretty well, except for when the worm decides to emerge beneath us, even as we're on the run.

etw221.jpg

We shoot...

2zjkrpf.jpg

We use health drinks...

23j1pbs.jpg

And eventually...

2567a4y.jpg

14o6h52.jpg

302mba1.jpg

GOTCHA !

2crom7o.jpg

Is it really dead ? We approach slowly...

2mmflp1.jpg

MOTHERFUCKER !!

2598zuu.jpg

It went back into the ground !

nme360.jpg

huh ?

im6iat.jpg

:CRASH:

2v7vz7n.jpg

Well, at least we scared it away. Where the hell are we now ?

f5ddh4.jpg

Hmm. At the back door of the town center.

ou40hx.jpg

It seems we're ready to venture once more into the streets of the "other" Silent Hill...

(bonus video)

Cassidy

Arcane
It's the KWANZANIAN jew-elry store. Strangely enough we don't find any jewels here. Instead, we find some rifle ammo. Wait minute... RIFLE ammo ? But we don't have a rifle ! Or should I say, we don't have a rifle... yet. :smug:

Fixed.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Cassidy said:
It's the KWANZANIAN jew-elry store. Strangely enough we don't find any jewels here. Instead, we find some rifle ammo. Wait minute... RIFLE ammo ? But we don't have a rifle ! Or should I say, we don't have a rifle... yet. :smug:

Fixed.

Yeah, it crossed my mind too :smug:

ghostdog said:
The rain falls through the metal floor producing an unnerving sound. Below our feet there's only darkness. In the distance we can make out a Romper, let's see how the hammer fares against him.

b4ymma.jpg

292b1qe.jpg

2unvwxh.jpg

...Not that good. We have to use the shotgun to get rid of the bugger.

Now THAT is fuckin' comedy gold! Pure gold, my friend.:salute:

spekkio

Arcane
:thumbsup:

How to make a good horror game:
  • darkness
  • weird and scary enemies
  • "OMG WTF is going on moments"
  • heavy atmosphere
  • mindfucks
  • ???
  • PROFIT
Yet, way to many developers were able to fuck this up which is fucking unbelivable...

lightbane

Arcane
spekkio said:
:thumbsup:

How to make a good horror game:
  • darkness
  • weird and scary enemies
  • "OMG WTF is going on moments"
  • heavy atmosphere
  • mindfucks
  • ???
  • PROFIT
Yet, way to many developers were able to fuck this up which is fucking unbelivable...

You forgot probably the most important element: LIMITED/breakable WEAPONS (if any, if controls are somewhat clunky even better).

Because RE4 consoletards "think" that a guy armed with a grenade-launcher and a Magnum that can one-shot nearly anything fighting against an army of monsters is scary. Also, Alan Wake is a good exemple of how it could be a good horrot game if it wasn't for the fact of being allowed to have TONS of ammo and weapons (plus the regenerative health popamole shit of course).

PS: I forgot, a fragile character also helps, again in Alan Wake that damned writer has a shitty jacket that can stop a fucking CHAINSAW with no problem.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Back on the streets once again...

2eof9z6.jpg

OH SHI-

1zq4ubl.jpg

Thankfully, we've got our gun ready.

11cgmcz.jpg

sqjwuq.jpg

ddknjo.jpg

What the hell is this ? It's not like the usual airscreamer... Another monster distorted by the new Silent Hill. We must tread carefully.

Code:
Chapter XIX:

ooooo 8                .oPYo.          o    o                d'b 8          .oPYo.  d'b  d'b                 o  
  8   8                8   `8          8    8                8   8          8.      8    8                   8  
  8   8oPYo. .oPYo.   o8YooP' o    o  o8P  o8P .oPYo. oPYo. o8P  8 o    o   `boo   o8P  o8P  .oPYo. .oPYo.  o8P 
  8   8    8 8oooo8    8   `b 8    8   8    8  8oooo8 8  `'  8   8 8    8   .P      8    8   8oooo8 8    '   8  
  8   8    8 8.        8    8 8    8   8    8  8.     8      8   8 8    8   8       8    8   8.     8    .   8  
  8   8    8 `Yooo'    8oooP' `YooP'   8    8  `Yooo' 8      8   8 `YooP8   `YooP'  8    8   `Yooo' `YooP'   8  
::..::..:::..:.....::::......::.....:::..:::..::.....:..:::::..::..:....8 :::.....::..:::..:::.....::.....:::..:
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ooP'.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Going North proves to be a dead end. Huge windmills that keep turning without any wind appear at the edge of darkness.

fck77a.jpg

Where should we go ? Where *can* we go ? Maybe we should try the Hospital. If we find Lisa, there's a chance she knows how to reach the lake. Sybil saw Cheryl head towards the lake... it's our only chance.

Soon we're attacked by another one of those new flying creatures...

14y0p3o.jpg

Worm-headed helldogs greet us...

25647i9.jpg

Evil Bugbears try to eat our heart out...

11v169w.jpg

Ok, here's the deal people. All this Rambo bullshit won't do us any good here. We have very poor visibility, the monsters are tougher than before and they come on us fast and sometimes in pairs. If we try to fight them, we'll be hurt bad, we'll lose a lot of ammo and consume many health kits. Run like hell is the prudent thing to do.

Thus, we run.

5xz5f.jpg

We pass the mark of Samael that has started to appear in the town's streets...

2m7dd1z.jpg

Fear makes us sloppy, we almost fall over the edge into the void that lies beyond...

2cq1pqh.jpg

We run like madmen, dodging flying monsters...

9hjgnc.jpg

How long will this adrenalin rush last ? Not long. We need to to find a place to take a break...

1g6f47.jpg

The police station seems like a good idea.

30ble2c.jpg

We grab some supplies and head back out. There's no time to waste...

6sqs7o.jpg

16jg47m.jpg

We dash through the streets always accompanied by shrieking monsters that try to take a piece of us. Where are we dammit ?

20frcp1.jpg

We're getting closer. The gates are just ahead. Almost out of breath, we sprint towards them...

353bh1v.jpg

2qd64n5.jpg

At last. Now we can relax a bi-

2ev3fgl.jpg

FUCK !!

b7zbq8.jpg

2ir80fk.jpg

goddammit !

2qbcdqt.jpg

Ok. Now we can relax. I think.
Hmm, the Hospital isn't exactly as we remember it...

2586ipy.jpg

Let's check the interior.

2q1a33n.jpg

9bb3mh.jpg

We enter the doctor's office...

9i91yp.jpg

2ep697t.jpg

2gxh46h.jpg

vh9j4x.jpg

:love:

4vhekl.jpg

30rtk7m.png
I'm here now. I was worried, too.

11j93co.png
I'm really happy to see you.

30rtk7m.png
Lisa, can you tell me how to get to the lake ?

11j93co.png
The lake ? You take Bachman Road.

30rtk7m.png
The roads are blocked.

11j93co.png
Well, that's the only way out there.

30rtk7m.png
Are you sure ? There's gotta be another way.

11j93co.png
Wait, I just remembered something. There's a water works over by my old elementary school. It's been abandoned for years...

30rtk7m.png
Go on.

11j93co.png
There's an underground tunnel out there used for inspections, or something. I remember hearing it runs all the way to the lake !

30rtk7m.png
Really ?! You think I can get to the lake from there ?

11j93co.png
I've never been down in there myself, so I'm not certain. Besides, it's all fenced off to keep people out.

30rtk7m.png
If there's a chance, I've got to try.

vybig6.jpg

11j93co.png
I don't want to be alone. It's so scary. I can't stand it.

30rtk7m.png
How about coming with me ? This may not be the safest place in the world either.

11j93co.png

30rtk7m.png
I can't promise you anything, but I'll do my best to protect you.

11j93co.png
No.. somehow I feel I'm not supposed to leave this place. Oh, Harry I'm so scared... I'm... cold.

30rtk7m.png
Look, just wait here a little longer. I'll be back as soon as I find my daughter.

2gvklev.jpg

es4wg6.jpg

t83gn8.jpg

Sorry babe, but all we really care about right now, is our daughter.

20uqwib.jpg

11goidg.jpg

As we're leaving the hospital, we feel something...

30rtk7m.png
Huh ? the channeling stone ? It's emitting a faint pulse...

akfypk.jpg

30cyssx.jpg

xcukb8.jpg

154h9b4.jpg

The light fades away. It is a mystery...

Let's get outta here.

qxmd1i.jpg

2utnl8x.jpg

THE FUCK ?!

24g7iia.jpg

What happened to the road ?!

dyq4ps.jpg

Hmm, the only way to go is up those stairs...

11in8tt.jpg

5k348h.jpg

2upfddd.jpg

:FLAPPING WINGS:

Harry, behind you !!

285amf.jpg

Oh shit. Remember our giant centipede/worm friend that got away last time ? Guess what it evolved to. First time I've ever been scared of butterflies...

n14gfb.jpg

His strategy consists of paralyzing us with poisonous gas and then stabbing us with his sting.

25pixkx.jpg

Our counter-strategy is to constantly move around, keep a distance, and land as many hits as we can.

9le9hk.jpg

23u8uva.jpg

2qm0mj4.jpg

I think the shotgun is in order...

ve96pt.jpg

bdv8uu.jpg

11jyecm.jpg

:SHRIEK:

2ivkzsp.jpg

Got it !

:SIRENS:

ny79ch.jpg

x1wuhd.jpg

207705s.jpg

11bkr35.jpg

35nam4i.jpg

Back to normal... If we could ever call this version of Silent Hill normal.

2ufrnv6.jpg

As we gaze through the thick fog, we can almost see our destination. Toluca lake. We'll have to get to that underground passage and reach the lake. And then maybe... Cheryl.

Radisshu

Prophet
I really should get this game. It always annoyed the shit out of me that they included 2-4 but not 1 in the Silent Hill Box.

TheLostOne

Savant
Really enjoying this LP. Never played the SH games before.

Had a DM use that piano puzzle way back in a horror D&D campaign. Had us stumped for a while since we didn't read the poem title carefully enough.

TheLostOne

Savant
Really enjoying this LP. Never played the SH games before.

Had a DM use that piano puzzle way back in a horror D&D campaign. Had us stumped for a while since we didn't read the poem title carefully enough.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Yeesh said:

Moths... Brings back childhood memories nightmares. Some people are afraid of spiders but nothing beats those motherfuckers. Dunno why.

Even these days I shiver with disgust when I see one :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom