Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Wasteland: Complete

spekkio

Arcane
Damn, this thread delivers!

:incline:

Me after reading the last update:

343p4ih.jpg

:salute:

grotsnik

Arcane
Jimbob said:
Dark humour!!!! The lulz!!! What a dumb location, a magic cabbage patch in a post-apocalyptic wasteland with stupid catapults firing vegetables at you, inbred farmer enemies and "bunny master" villains :roll: how very Bethesda!!!!

This was some cunning pre-emptive snark, but that whole quest really was...bizarre.

Ah, well. Onwards!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Admiral jimbob said:
Dark humour!!!! The lulz!!! What a dumb location, a magic cabbage patch in a post-apocalyptic wasteland with stupid catapults firing vegetables at you, inbred farmer enemies and "bunny master" villains :roll: how very Bethesda!!!!
:decline:

Great update.
:thumbsup:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Wasteland001.png

Wasteland002.png

As you can see, Quartz is home to another gang of notorious and nefarious cold-blooded scoundrels; the village people.

Wasteland003.png

Well, that was dignified. Hopefully nobody saw us. Onward! Let's see what disturbs this fair frontier town.

Wasteland005.png

We enter the town bar. This is a bit creepy.
A barmaid bumps past us occasionally, stopping only at the bar; if we want to talk to her, we'll catch her there. No reason to at the moment, though. Passing the stage, one of the dancers invites us up, coyly...

Wasteland006.png

What a bitch.

Wasteland007.png

Here we go. None of the enemies here so far have posed any great threat, and these guys are no different.

Wasteland008.png

And this may pose a slightly greater challenge than the bouncers did. Thinking fast, chzr attempts to astound them with feats of intellect and athleticism.

Wasteland009.png

Ho hum
Ulminati attempts to charm them with his silver tongue.

Wasteland011.png

Ho hum

Wasteland012.png

Eventually, Grunker's ninja abilities astound and impress, and we are allowed to leave.

Wasteland013.png

One of SMA's friends attempts to stop us.

Wasteland014.png

It doesn't go too well for them. Now, let's try to find the guy we were sent to from the Nomads' camp, and maybe get an idea about what's going on in town.

Wasteland015.png

Wasteland016.png

Interesting. I'd be concerned about that sort of thing myself. Just a bit. Something to talk about over a drink, you know.

Wasteland017.png

Trying to avoid a fight without pussying out, we tell our foe to chill out. He, er, does.

Wasteland018.png

And here's our man. We sit down and attempt to give him the Visa. This fails. Eventually, we stand next to the empty chair and use the Visa on it. This succeeds, despite it not succeeding when I stood/sat on the chair and used the Visa on it. Oh well.

Wasteland019.png

Head Crusher says, "Thank you. Go to the Atchison's tent and tell
them CATERPILLAR."
Thanking him, we leave. Ulminati heads to the bar and chats up the barmaid using a graffiti'd password we saw on one of the tables.

Wasteland021.png

Aha! A lead. Next, we visit the toilets. Only men can enter the men's room, and vice versa, so we split the party up again.

Wasteland022.png

Wasteland023.png

chzr charms a crying woman with her beautifully sculpted moustache, and gets some valuable info.

10 "Everyone is worried about Mayor Pedros but others are held hostage
too. Felicia Pedros, his wife, is our friend. We think she has been moved to
the outlaw hideout. We hope you will try to rescue her. And remember what
Ellen said when you go to the Stagecoach Inn." They smile and leave.

Wasteland024.png

The bros of the party encounter a mugging or something. They quickly break it up.

Wasteland025.png

Wasteland027.png

Aha! We ask him about, well, the mayor.

Wasteland028.png

Wasteland029.png

Wasteland030.png

Wasteland031.png

The response to "Laurie" seems to be a stock answer, so we ask about the Riddler. The Riddler ends up directing us towards the barmaid, who we've already had all the info from. We'll head to the Courthouse to clean up shop soon, but first, to the nomad camp!

Wasteland032.png

Wasteland033.png

We give the password at the door of the middle tent, not knowing which was the right one.

Wasteland034.png

This was probably not it.

Wasteland035.png

Wasteland036.png

wat

Wasteland037.png

Our heroes have no qualms about splattering women, old men and children all over the walls. Life is tough in the wasteland. We're thinking about sending the commemorative photos to Little Lamplight.

Wasteland038.png

Oh my.

Wasteland039.png

chzr, not taken in by the seductive beauty of the Topekan waifs, beats them mercilessly with an axe.

Wasteland040.png

A broken toaster. Right. We'll leave that here for now; loot remains indefinitely, so it's here if we need it. Snake squeezin' seems to be a form of booze, beloved by homeless people, because that's just what those wacky homeless do.

Wasteland041.png

Wasteland042.png

Wasteland043.png

39 The guard looks you over closely and then tells you to wait outside
as he disappears into the tent. You hear a brief muffled conversation and
the guard returns with another man. The newcomer introduces himself as the
headman of the Atchison clan. He understands that you have done a great
favor for his brother. He dismisses the guard and motions you closer. He
explains that they keep no treasure here, but he will give you directions to
a secret cache. "Here, take this shovel," he instructs you. "Stand on the
south rail, west end. Take twelve paces to the south. Dig and you shall be
rewarded." The guard returns and the headman bids you good day.

There we go. Let's go for it.

Wasteland044.png

Pretty decent amount of cash on us now. Naturally, I've yet to actually spend any. Might start doing that soon. To be honest, it's not all that hard a game so far, but I might eat my words yet.

Wasteland045.png

That's... kind of underwhelming. We leave the ammo, since we have plenty and are short on room. Back to the Courthouse... Desert Ranger reckoning is coming.

Wasteland047.png

So far, I've gathered that Ugly seems to be the leader of the gang. Let's go with that.

Wasteland049.png

Oh, balls. Maybe we should have gone to the motel. Time to fight our way through, then.

Wasteland050.png

Wasteland051.png

There's a lot of this when you're at a decent range from the foe. Pistols are singularly rubbish, really, you're as well not taking any points in them and using melee until you can get rifles/SMGs, which is soon enough anyway.

Wasteland053.png

There, that's better. After clearing the ground floor and finding little of interest, we head back to the motel to get a bit more informed before proceeding.

Wasteland054.png

Wasteland055.png

We give the password.

Wasteland056.png

Wasteland057.png

Wasteland058.png

There we go. Some decent loot on the table, nothing special though. Alex decides to train up his picklock skill on the other motel doors; along the way, we meet some interesting characters.

Wasteland060.png

Even in the post-apocalypse, all the maids are slutty Mexicans.

Wasteland061.png

I think he's Squint.

Wasteland062.png

Oh, we disturbed Cleve. This is going aggressively.

Wasteland063.png

And some good old-fashioned hobo killing to round things off.

Wasteland064.png

Hmm. Nah, won't bother. Fighting tends to get you the most experience, as far as I can tell, so fight it is.

Wasteland065.png

We decide to approach the cook. Not for any real reason, just because.

Wasteland066.png

Right, enough clowning around, back to the Courthouse.

Wasteland067.png

There's a lot of this. When you choose to move, you return to the normal play screen and get to move a space in one direction. Enemies can move diagonally, I think. You can't. It's a rather frustrating chase.

Wasteland068.png

Wasteland069.png

Wasteland070.png

The ground floor cleared, we head upstairs.

Wasteland071.png

49 You study the torn piece of paper in your hand. Originally written
in red ink, the text has turned into large fuzzy blotches of pink. Though
mostly unreadable, you make out the word MUERTE followed by
HIDEOUT:THANATOS, but THANATOS has been scratched out and KAPUT has been
written under it.

Hmm... mysterious.

Wasteland072.png

"...going". Sorry, cut that one off. I think we intimidated him? Beginning to wonder what the use in the persuasion skills is, to be honest...

Wasteland073.png

We don't. He sounds the alarm, and we are attacked by... Huey, Dewey and Louie. Stupid pop culture references :decline: :decline: :decline: how Bethesda

Wasteland074.png

Wasteland075.png

Alex and Ulminati aren't bad shots with the pistols. We're keeping chzr and Grunker as melee bros for now.

Wasteland076.png

Oh dear.

155 You unceremoniously rip the bracelet from Dewey's limp wrist.
Rubbing it against your chest several times to remove the blood, you see
"16" engraved on it.

Wasteland077.png

The jail! This must be where they're keeping the mayor. We're close...

Wasteland078.png

wat

Wasteland079.png

Oh yes. And behind the door... the man himself.

Wasteland081.png

Mayor Pedros joins us in our quest.

Wasteland082.png

We head North from the courthouse, making our way to the gang's other hideout, in the hopes of finding Felicia and Ugly there. Not sure how we managed to take the guards down, but hey.

Wasteland083.png

Wasteland084.png

It's just like being Batman.

Wasteland086.png

Wasteland087.png

Wasteland088.png

Wasteland089.png

:salu- oh good grief will you stop being greedy

Wasteland090.png

Wasteland091.png

Wasteland092.png

Wasteland093.png

Aww, even our new packrat gets a promotion.

Wasteland094.png

Fighting ensues. There's a bit too much fighting down here, to be honest... ah well, small enough area.

Wasteland095.png

We don't. He does. So do we.

Wasteland096.png

We investigate a pile of laundry, and...
What the fuck

Wasteland097.png

Aha! What's this?

Wasteland099.png

35 A man sits up in the cell and stretches his arms. He squints at you
as if you're brighter than the desert sun, then allows a small smile to
grace his tan, weathered face. "Rangers, I should have known. Listen, I've
been sent down from Vegas to recruit folks who know the right end of a gun
from the wrong. Bandits ain't the only thing crawling out of the desert, and
we've got a war on our hands. Interested in heading back with me?"

Stoke_Me_a_Clipper.jpg

Wasteland100.png

I'm glad. chzr bashes it down.

Wasteland101.png

109 The wall map is covered with scribbled remarks that are virtually
unreadable. A star over one building in the southeastern section of town has
the legend "Bar -- trouble spot" scrawled over it. A skull decorates another
building in the central-eastern part of the town. The word HIDEOUT covers
it. An arrow leading from the word draws attention to another building
diagonally to the southwest, though it has the word SEKRET painstakingly
written beside it.

Wasteland102.png

A dramatic standoff! This is where we enter the minigame where we snipe at his head as he holds a pistol to hers, right?

Wasteland103.png

Don't worry, Pedro. Ace is here.

Wasteland104.png

We disagree on this point, and a fight ensues.

Wasteland105.png

Wasteland107.png

Stoke_Me_a_Clipper.jpg

Wasteland108.png

Think fast? Who has the bomb disarm skill? None of us. Demolitions will have to suffice...

Wasteland109.png

Wasteland111.png

126 Felicia smiles as you cut her bonds. She nearly falls as she makes
her first attempt to stand up. "Don't worry about me," she says, "Ace is
being kept in the cells."

Wasteland112.png

We pick the lock to the vault, retrieving a huge stockpile of money and loot. With Felicia, Mayor Pedro and Ace in tow, we head off, Quartz a safe, peaceful and prosperous frontier town once more.

Wasteland113.png

Passing over a broken-down car North of Quartz that none of us understood how to use, Ace hops in, grinning, and drives us off to the next town along... Needles.

Stoke_Me_a_Clipper.jpg

Within Needles, we'll have epic adventures involving howitzers, hobo-meat stands, robot policemen, warring cults and libraries. Tune in next time... this is THREEEE DOOOOOOOG!

Well done Admiral. You could have scored a nice bit of cash had you successfully taken out the duck brothers and rescued the tortured man in the chair (they kill him if you don't managed to take them out quietly), but that is all part of the game.

Don't forget to write down various words and phrases you come across. Just in case....

Oh, and if you are going to stick with melee, brawl is always a good option to have.

torpid

Liturgist
What a massacre :lol: mutated children, insane farmers, bums and punks... I see that it is impossible to totally avoid combat in Wasteland.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Blackadder said:
Oh, and if you are going to stick with melee, brawl is always a good option to have.

Yeah, I picked up a couple of points of brawling for Grunker when we got to Needles. Incidentally, how does the game decide combat skills increasing through use? I've yet to see anyone get a boost to any of them for fighting, but apparently it should happen.

Admiral jimbob said:
Blackadder said:

Yeah, I picked up a couple of points of brawling for Grunker when we got to Needles. Incidentally, how does the game decide combat skills increasing through use? I've yet to see anyone get a boost to any of them for fighting, but apparently it should happen.

It happens quite slowly during the initial stages for weapon skills. Later on, when you are beating down on mutants, ripping clips on robots, etc, you will see the jumps start to happen quite quickly. Don't expect giant numbers though. If any skills get above 4/5 they are starting to really get up there.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good update. I did expect more party death in this game, though. Maybe You're just a badass gamer. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I've yet to see anything that kills outright, and as a consequence, when anyone's injured there's usually either someone conscious with decent medical skill (chzr and Alex both do, and Alex has the highest HP and the best armour to account for that) or the entire party gets wiped out. I'm guessing more lethal enemies pop up later? I'm not a bad gamer, but I didn't think I'd be surviving this well.

"I am not afraid, Master Yoda!"

yoda.jpg

"You will be....you will be....."

No, the game is not terribly difficult, combatwise...from an oldschool perspective that is. I feel confidant that young Admiral will feel the pain later on. Once the real enemies start appearing (and a few will start popping up in Needles), things will get a tad more serious. Needles has a nice arms cache hidden away as well, but the guardian is...difficult at your level, and care is needed to extract the goods without...destroying them. I hope you have bought that geiger counter, or been lucky to find one? If not, time to off your arse and listen to Blackadder on this one.

Most people have trouble figuring things out though, with many of the puzzles and good outcomes not immediately apparent. Honestly, with this game, you often have to pretend you are really there and think about what YOU would do instead of gamey tactics. I am always here to lend a hand anyway...and point out where you stuffed something...after the fact of course :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom