Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
4: Of Wolves, Skeletons, and Secret Doors

Okay, so our goal in this update is to make it from the first sanctuary, URTAS, to the second one, URLASAR. This ain't too complex or long a crawl since we're still in the introductory part of the game, so let me show you how easily it can be done.

Stepping out of the eastern exit of the URTAS sanctuary, our glorious party of low-level adventurers find themselves in a room with many doors (tm):

04uukrul001.jpg

Two doors to the east, two to the north, and two to the south. In fact this ain't many compared to the number of doors per room we'll get later in the game. One step further to the east, we trigger a text event:

04uukrul002.jpg

And Kalos gets to play a knowledgeable one for a change. Up til now, that has been spekkio's prerogative.
We decide to explore the closest of the south doors first:

04uukrul004.jpg

Growls and grunts? Who do you think is there?

04uukrul005.jpg

Woof woof!

04uukrul006.jpg

So this is just a couple of doggies. I doubt two doggies could be much trouble to a party of four.
After the movement phase, spekkio casts AMRAS, the basic fire spell we already know from the last update:

04uukrul008.jpg

Last time I forgot to post the description of the Arkana of Fire found in the manual, so here it is:
These Spells are weapons, to strike those who stand against you. They are weapons of heat and flame, which can burn deep wounds and cause great damage. The Spells of the First Arkana concentrate heat upon their targets, and will not touch large numbers of foes. Only those creatures born of fire will be resistant to the effects of these Spells.
AMRAS deals good damage to the dawg but doesn't manage to kill it, alas:

04uukrul009.jpg

Lord Rocket swings his weapon, inflicting 17 points of damage on the other dog. Kalos tries to invoke Ufthu...

04uukrul014.jpg

...but, just the way it was in the previous update, the warrior god can't be arsed to answer. Bee is more successful -- that is, she succeeds in landing a hefty critical:

04uukrul016.jpg

After that, Rocket one-hit kills the remaining beastie, and we gain some exp:

04uukrul021.jpg

And no treasure.
:rage:
But, truth be told, the battle really was easy.
In the room we've now entered, there's another door to the south, which we also enter:

04uukrul024.jpg

Uhm, dear readers, this is the first rotating plate we've met. There'll be plenty of them down the road. Here's an automap of the entrance to this room:

04uukrul064.jpg

("T" is the teleporter, and the, uhm, penis sign stands for the sanctuary.)
Why can't we map past here, you ask? Well, because this is a puzzle area with rotating plates, obviously. :P Once we've stepped on such a plate it rotates, leaving us clueless as to which direction we're really facing. Also, this is but a starting area, that's why we're told that we've stepped onto a rotating plate; later, we won't get this message, which will leading to a lot of WTF? and frustration. :roll:
Luckily, we have a compass with us that we can consult by a heading check:

04uukrul025.jpg

North is where we've come from, to the east is a dead end, so we go south. Turning around the corner, we reach another intersection with a rotating plate:

04uukrul026.jpg

We've come from the south but now are facing west, which is the only way to explore this room further. There seems to be nothing in that part of the room, but we tend to use the "Search walls" option quite often and so discover a loose section of the wall:

04uukrul027.jpg

spekkio again passes a perception check.
We're given three options; let's start by examining the wall:

04uukrul028.jpg

Now we know the way to, uhm, properly handle this wall, and can acess the hidden passage it conceals:

04uukrul030.jpg

There is but a scroll there:

04uukrul032.jpg

We let spekkio have it, as he's our party magician.
The scroll is yet unidentified, of course:

04uukrul033.jpg

:?
And we go back to the room from which we started, the one right to the east of the URTAS sanctuary:

04uukrul034.jpg

Let's enter the door we're directly facing:

04uukrul036.jpg

So it takes a joint effort of Bee and Rocket to pry it open, and inside is only one copper coin!?
:rpgcodex:
This game's trolling us! In that, it's a truly Codexian game. :roll:
Shall we now enter the second door to the north? Because, well, why not.

04uukrul038.jpg

Hmm, looks like we've wandered into...

04uukrul039.jpg

...a bat lair!!

04uukrul040.jpg

Oh-kay. We try to position spekkio and Kalos as far behind LR and Bee as we can; this is what comes out of it:

04uukrul043.jpg

Well, it could be worse I guess.
Lord Rocket kills the bat next to him, and then Bee does the same thing. Another bat tries to give spekkio a good biting...

04uukrul046.jpg

...but misses. spekkio, for his part, doesn't:

04uukrul047.jpg

So even a mage can sometimes kill things melee, huh? Good to know.
Oh, and Ufthu once again fails to answer Kalos' prayer. :/ All in all, this battle is easy, and we emerge from it almost unscathed:

04uukrul061.jpg

Experience scales to the degree in which a character contributed to the victory, which only makes sense.
No treasure. Again. I am disappoint. :/
Our next encounter is with some rats, but we slay them easily, obtaining some experience points. Not many:

04uukrul080.jpg

In the northeast passage, we come across a secret door:

04uukrul082.jpg

Okay, I guess Kalos wants us to know he's no less perceptive than spekkio.

04uukrul083.jpg

Looking for a device yields no result:

04uukrul085.jpg

So we ask Lord Rocket to barge into the door:

04uukrul087.jpg

And then again:

04uukrul088.jpg

Inside the secret room, we find an ointment:

04uukrul090.jpg

There's another door to the south:

04uukrul092.jpg

("B" is where we found a single copper coin, "A" is where we encountered the bats.)
Going through two more doors, we find a small sum of money on the ground. I forgot to take a screenshot of that glorious moment, so here's an automap instead:

04uukrul106.jpg

"D" is where the money was.
Now we can exit the secret area and explore the northeastern passage further:

04uukrul108.jpg

04uukrul109.jpg

04uukrul110.jpg

Our next encounter is with rats AND bats. How ... varied.

04uukrul114.jpg

We deal with the fuckers, no probs. spekkio, having 10 psychic points left, casts AMRAS twice, and Kalos, in a fashion we're already getting used to, fails to invoke Ufthu's aid. So it's all up to Lord Rocket again.

04uukrul138.jpg

04uukrul139.jpg

It looks like we've explored the northwestern passage:

04uukrul141.jpg

And so we're back in the room with six doors.
Now we need to choose between the two remaining doors in the southeast, the eastern-ish one...

04uukrul143.jpg

...and the southern-ish one:

04uukrul145.jpg

Intrigued by the sound of footsteps, we enter the latter one:

04uukrul146.jpg

Ah, rats!
This time, however, this ain't just rats. The rats are accompanied by a new type of enemy -- undeady skeletons! So the footsteps were those of the skeletons, I gather. :roll:

04uukrul147.jpg

In the above screenshot, Kalos has already managed to damage a skeleton using his "Turn undead" ability. Finally Kalos is to some extent helpful in combat. Bee attacks the same skeleton...

04uukrul148.jpg

...and manages to stun it. Good. Lord Rocket kills a rat. spekkio tries to hit one of the two remaining rats but misses. Kalos chooses to turn undead again, and the already wounded skeleton is destroyed.
:yeah:

Lord Rocket kills the second skeleton in one hit, and no challenge remains.

04uukrul162.jpg

04uukrul163.jpg

Nice, yay.
In the room we now enter, there's a further door to the east:

04uukrul165.jpg

We enter it and...

04uukrul167.jpg

I hope we'll be able to find another way out. To do that, we have to walk through a couple more doors; luckily, this area can be mapped so it's actually easy not to get lost:

04uukrul183.jpg

(I hope you're able to distinguish simple walls from walls with doors in the above screenshot, o my perceptive readers.)

Along the way, we find a nice item -- a sword:

04uukrul171.jpg

We trust Bee to pick it up:

04uukrul173.jpg

04uukrul179.jpg

Examining our party, we see that we've got 322 coins and 291 units of food left:

04uukrul174.jpg

Let's brave the last remaining door:

04uukrul186.jpg

An inscription is ahead:

04uukrul189.jpg

It's in gibberish, but we succeed in translating it with spekkio's NGOS spell:

04uukrul190.jpg

:salute:
We face some stairs:

04uukrul191.jpg

We climb them, then enter another door and stumble into another inscription:

04uukrul195.jpg

Translating...

04uukrul196.jpg

Oooh, scary. And evil. :twisted:
Next door hides something truly awful:

04uukrul198.jpg

Shall we disregard Kalos' warning and proceed? But of course we shall!

04uukrul199.jpg

Ouch!

04uukrul200.jpg

A single wolf? So this is ... a boss battle!

Lord Rocket starts the fun:

04uukrul201.jpg

The wolf isn't too bad either, though:

04uukrul202.jpg

The fucker stuns our poor Rockety.
spekkio patches LR up by casting SHUM twice:

04uukrul206.jpg

SHUM is the only iron spell in the Arkana of Healing.
No traveler could endure the trials of venturing forth without Healing. The Spells of the Fourth Arkana are devoted to these subtle and cunning arts. These are the true test of your skill, for the magic is the product of the caster's art alone. Know that no Spell is powerful enough to breathe life into the lips of one who has died: only the High Priests of the White Order can restore life where it has ceased to exist.
1 SHUM The Simplest Salve

This is the simplest and least draining of all the Healing Spells. On casting the Spell, a magic salve will form over one wound of one person and that wound will be closed.

One turn later Kalos is no longer stunned:

04uukrul208.jpg

Bee hits the wolf for 14 hp. And then Lord Rocket seals the deal:

04uukrul214.jpg

04uukrul216.jpg

Not particularly impressive for a boss encounter. :smug:

04uukrul218.jpg

There's even no treasure to loot. Meh.
In a corner of the room we're currently in...

04uukrul224.jpg

...we find a small treasure:

04uukrul223.jpg

Again, the character who discovers the money isn't the one to take it. :?
In a small room to the southwest...

04uukrul228.jpg

...we find a dagger:

04uukrul226.jpg

Bee picks it up.
It's time to be moving further east.

04uukrul232.jpg

WHEN SUDDENLY

04uukrul235.jpg

OH NOES A GHOST

04uukrul236.jpg

Find the frozen hearts? :? What the hell could that mean?

And the vision indeed fades:

04uukrul238.jpg

Woof woof!

04uukrul239.jpg

04uukrul240.jpg

Meh, it's just another random two-dog encounter. Nothing of importance. (Except that Kalos keeps miserably failing at doing his prayers.)
:decline: of priests.

04uukrul258.jpg

And another set of stairs ahead of us:

04uukrul259.jpg

And then, down the passage...

04uukrul262.jpg

...we find the next sanctuary!

04uukrul265.jpg

04uukrul266.jpg

04uukrul268.jpg

I hate this shit.

04uukrul269.jpg

Since this is the first time we enter this sanctuary, our health is fully restored. Nice. We save the game and check just how many more experience points we need to progress to the next level:

04uukrul271.jpg

Will we be able to make it to level 2 in the next update? And will Kalos be finally able to successfully invoke a prayer? It is a mystery!

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Central Committee of Unity is pleased Comrade 11623.

~9531

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crroked Bee said:
Will we able to make it to level 2 in the next update? And will Kalos be finally able to successfully invoke a prayer?
I hope we shall solve this mystery. :M

Cenobyte

Prophet
Excellent updates Comrade No. 11623 :lol:

The extremely cramped first person exploration window is a rather suboptimal though, the Wizardry system with the much larger window is overall much more friendly to the eye.
Do you always get a hint for secret doors, btw? Or does this stop after the starting areas?

Combat seems quite interesting, even though I kinda like the standard blob combat fare :oops:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:salute:, bro 11658.

Nope, you almost never get hints for secret doors. In fact, the northeastern secret door in this update wasn't hinted at; I discovered it through my obsessive searching of walls using the "Search walls" command -- which not only eats up food, but also attracts random encounters, so go figure. :roll: I'm pretty sure I'm gonna miss out on many secret doors in my playthrough. This game is quite hardcore in this regard as well.

11658 said:
Combat seems quite interesting, even though I kinda like the standard blob combat fare :oops:
I also like blob combat. :oops:
But this game's combat is nice, yes, in fact we haven't really witnessed its variety yet -- simply because this is still the very beginning of the game. It's also quite rage-inducing: you constantly miss or fail to invoke spells, etc. :)

spekkio

Arcane
uukrulpart1023.jpg

:obviously:

uukrulpart1043.jpg

uukrulpart1101.jpg

79226478.jpg

uukrulpart1135.jpg

04uukrul047.jpg

I bet my ass I could solo this shit. I mean lets face it, other party memebers' skils pale in comparison to my greatness...

13825880.jpg

That is all from #11282.

Crooked Bee

Patron
5: Shopping and Leveling-up

Previously on this LP, we defeated some dogs, wolves, and skeletons, and reached the URLASAR sanctuary.

05uukrul001.jpg

Our goal in this update is to make it to level two. So let's get started.
We leave the sanctuary by taking the eastern exit -- the one leading deeper into Eriosthe.

05uukrul006.jpg

Something goes awry, however:

05uukrul007.jpg

spekkio, you careless bastard!
Now Uukrul knows we're here.

Moving further...

05uukrul010.jpg

...we're confronted by a highly suspicious stranger. It's all thanks to you, spek-kun.

05uukrul011.jpg

Well, the most interesting option is definitely number two. Shall we engage in some cloaked figure diplomacy? :roll:

05uukrul012.jpg

Okay, no diplomacy then.

05uukrul014.jpg

I forgot to tell you, readers, that at the start of each battle, our party is positioned randomly. This time we get a very good starting disposition, with our fighters being in the front row, and spekkio and Kalos behing them.

05uukrul015.jpg

Kalos tries invoking DROM, a fighting power-increasing prayer to Ufthu.

DROM Strength to the Sword Arm

Ufthu, Soldier of Misfortune,
Hear your humble Priest,
Send your strength to those on earth,
Who bear steel against the dark foes.

Have I told you that the exact purpose of a prayer isn't directly stated in the manual, and you have to make it out yourself? This game is too hardcore; redding is teh hard. :smug:

But back to the battle at hand. Of course, Kalos fails: Ufthu does not answer. spekkio casts AMRAS and damages Cloaked Figure a little. The foe strikes Lord Rocket for 6 damage, who strikes CF in return.
Next turn Kalos tries to invoke SIRDHE, a prayer to Golthur.

Golthur, Oldest of the Gods, Rulemaster, Keeper of Souls, Lamp of the Heavens, Carrier of Strength, Maker of the Many Little Candles, is a treacherous master. Golthur, the Spider of Time, lies in wait for those whose souls he can steal. Golthur, the Trapper, has given his Priests these Prayers; you who pray to him, tend your words, that your dark husbandry will not call forth your corruption. Walk the words well, for if you fall he will ensnare you and draw your soul through your nostrils. That is his due for heeding your command.
The Spider of Time? I bet Black Cat will like this god.
SIRDHE Patterns of Healing

Golthur of the Labyrinth, we ask your indulgence,
We who are weakened call you,
Send your strength to our weaned limbs,
And we will fight for your glory.

So SIRDHE is a healing prayer. It is basic and not particularly powerful. Actually, it heals all the party members at once if successfully invoked, but I didn't yet know that at the moment. Anyway, Lord Rocket's HP goes up...

05uukrul025.jpg

...meaning that Kalos has finally succeeded. For the first time!

There is in fact a blinking symbol of Golthur that appears once you've successfully invoked a prayer to him, but, being blinking, it wasn't captured by the above screenshot.
Anyway, congratulations, Kalos.
After a couple more turns, the cloaked figure -- the Hooded Spy -- is at the brink of death:

05uukrul041.jpg

Kalos tries invoking SIRDHE again, but fails. Lord Rocket strikes at the spy again:

05uukrul044.jpg

Good, but not good enough.
The spy starts moving away from our party...

05uukrul046.jpg

...and runs away!

05uukrul047.jpg

Going further down the corridor, we find stairs leading down:

05uukrul059.jpg

05uukrul060.jpg

We descend and come across an inscription:

05uukrul061.jpg

05uukrul064.jpg

It's good to know that the market area is to the left (east), but we decide to go west for now.

05uukrul067.jpg

We find ourselves in a large hall.

05uukrul070.jpg

Exploring it, we find some money:

05uukrul072.jpg

Bee takes it, yay.

05uukrul073.jpg

Let's enter the door to the north now.

05uukrul074.jpg

This doesn't bode well.

05uukrul076.jpg

Uh-oh.

05uukrul077.jpg

Four orcs and a wolf appear!
Our starting position is not quite good. Lord Rocket is blocked in the corner, and Kalos is in the front line -- a role not really suited to a priest's style. Still, we can't switch places or move around, being blocked by two orcs. Oh well. We'll have to manage somehow.

spekkio tries to cast AMRAS on one of the orcs blocking us...

05uukrul081.jpg

...but fails miserably. :decline: of spekkio.
Bee strikes the adjacent orc for 13 hp, he responds by inficting 6 points of damage. Kalos has to go melee, given the failure his prayer-invoking ability is:

05uukrul085.jpg

Not much. :/
The orc hits Kalos for 7 hp as well.
During the next turn, the AI goes stupid -- one of the orcs blocking us moves away, making place for a bit of repositioning:

05uukrul088.jpg

But I failed at repositioning -- just because I like fucking things up -- and now spekkio is exposed to an orc's attacks. It doesn't take long for things to go bad:

05uukrul090.jpg

Uh-oh. Hold on, Mirror-kun, please do hold on!
spekkio casts SHUM, the basic healing spell, on himself:

05uukrul093.jpg

Okay, his HP is in the green again.
Repositioning goes much better next turn:

05uukrul094.jpg

Now Bee and Rocket should take all the damage upon themselves. Good.
During the next few turns, Kalos tries to invoke SIRDHE thrice but fails ... thrice. spekkio has to waste his psychic points casting SHUM on Lord Rocket and Bee. Another orc is revealed as Blue Orc, a stronger version of the regular Brown Orc:

05uukrul098.jpg

:decline: of Bee. Finally Lord Rocket finishes the Blue Orc off.
Then Kalos tries to call an elemental:

05uukrul118.jpg

But no elemental spirit appears.
It turn out that another orc is a Blue Orc as well, and he hits Rocket hard:

05uukrul140.jpg

spekkio casts SHUM again:

05uukrul141.jpg

05uukrul142.jpg

SHUM's efficiency seems to be random; sometimes many hit points get restored, sometimes only a few. The same goes for all spells in this game.
spekkio ain't got many psychic points left, so we better finish this shit quickly.
Then I finally realize there's an ointment in Lord Rocket's inventory:

05uukrul144.jpg

05uukrul145.jpg

His HP metre is restored to the full. Phew.
Then Bee stuns the wolf:

05uukrul149.jpg

Good going, Bee. :salute:
And a blue orc runs away.

05uukrul150.jpg

Got scared, feller? :smug:
Lord Rocket continues to take all the damage he can. But just when, after several more turns -- my, this battle is looooooooooooooooooooong -- the remaining orc's HP gets really low, the orc runs away. :roll: Now only the wolf is left. First Lord Rocket strikes the beast for 16 points, then Kalos, for 6, and finally Bee kills the wolf.

05uukrul169.jpg

05uukrul170.jpg

We get shitloads of experience, some money, and a dagger. Nice.
And we can finally enter the northern door:

05uukrul180.jpg

05uukrul181.jpg

There's a passage with one more door to the north here. To the west is a dead end, but it's worth exploring nevertheless.

05uukrul183.jpg

We find some kind of gem. Let's brave the northern door now.

05uukrul188.jpg

The room's empty, but there's one further door to the southwest.

05uukrul189.jpg

And...

05uukrul190.jpg

Oh no, not these fuckers again.

05uukrul191.jpg

Well, at least we got lucky with our starting position.
Nothing particularly new in this battle, except that spekkio's psychic points are really fucking low. Oh, and the enemies are revealed as being one Blue Orc and four Brown Orcs. Apart from that, it's just an exchange of melee attacks with spekkio casting SHUM, our HP going down, and Kalos failing to invoke SIRDHE.

05uukrul223.jpg

Lord Rocket goes critical:

05uukrul234.jpg

Now THAT's what I call close.
Luckily, Bee and spekkio are there to help:

05uukrul236.jpg

05uukrul237.jpg

Ointment also helps. Eventually, we stand victorious.

05uukrul263.jpg

05uukrul264.jpg

A mace for loot is nice, yay. We let Lord Rocket pick it up.
Now that we've got no psychic or virtue points left, we'd better head back to the sanctuary. Once we enter it, a message tells us that Lord Rocket and Bee advance to level 2:

05uukrul275.jpg

Yep, even if you have enough exp to make it to the next level, leveling-up is only possible at the sanctuaries. Whoever levels-up, gets his or her HP fully restored.

05uukrul276.jpg

We see that Kalos and spekkio aren't far from level 2 either.
Let's take a look Rocket's and Bee's profile to determine if their stats have changed:

05uukrul280.jpg

Comparing this to the starting profile, we see that Bee's Strength has gone from 10 up to 11, and her Dexterity, from 11 to 12.

05uukrul281.jpg

Lord Rocket's Strength, Intelligence, and Vitality have all gone up by one point.
:incline:

I don't remember if I chose to rest at the sanctuary, but anyway: we return to the meeting hall and storage area -- and enter the next door:

05uukrul285.jpg

And then the door to the west:

05uukrul286.jpg

Above? :? Well, not like we can access it now.
Nothing in this particular room though.

05uukrul287.jpg

Back in the corridor, we go north, then turn around the corner and climb some stairs.

05uukrul291.jpg

(Facing south now.)
A door? Let's enter it, then.

05uukrul294.jpg

Exploring further...

05uukrul295.jpg

05uukrul298.jpg

...we run into another encounter!

05uukrul299.jpg

Get your dirty little hands off me, you green pervert!

05uukrul300.jpg

Small humanoids? :roll:
That's goblins, actually.

05uukrul305.jpg

Lord Rocket kills the first one, and Kalos manages to successfully invoke SIRDHE for the second time:

05uukrul310.jpg

The second goblin runs away.

05uukrul311.jpg

:roll:
We get a bit of experience and 76 coins -- and make it to the meeting room:

05uukrul318.jpg

Yep, it's totally empty, but there's a further door to the east.

05uukrul320.jpg

05uukrul322.jpg

Inside it, we find an inscription:

05uukrul324.jpg

spekkio manages to partially translate it by casting NGOS:

05uukrul326.jpg

"Next meeting postponed until further notice". Oh-kay.
Oh, there's a secret door here:

05uukrul327.jpg

spekkio again proves his usefulness.

05uukrul328.jpg

Looking for a device yields no result.
It's time for Lord Rocket to act, then!

05uukrul330.jpg

05uukrul331.jpg

05uukrul332.jpg

05uukrul333.jpg

05uukrul334.jpg

Nothing but a green gem inside:

05uukrul336.jpg

Oh well, I believe we've fully explored this not particularly large meeting room.

05uukrul337.jpg

Back to the corridor now.

05uukrul338.jpg

05uukrul339.jpg

It apparently leads to a storage area.

05uukrul340.jpg

Some goo-ey monster appears!

05uukrul343.jpg

05uukrul344.jpg

Looks funny. :P

05uukrul345.jpg

The "Shapeless Mass" turns out to be...

05uukrul347.jpg

...an "Amorphous Glob"! :?
We deal with it quickly -- and continue exploring the area.

05uukrul359.jpg

Nothing of interest so far.
A storeroom is here.

05uukrul361.jpg

05uukrul363.jpg

Nothing.

05uukrul365.jpg

Nothing at all.

05uukrul369.jpg

Meh, just an empty area.
It's time to head back to where we started from!

05uukrul374.jpg

Let's visit the marketplace this time.

05uukrul376.jpg

Kewl.

05uukrul377.jpg

We've got 559 coins, by the way.

05uukrul379.jpg

We surely will.
First, however, we find ourselves in the Forge:

05uukrul380.jpg

We have one broken weapon in fact -- a Hand axe. It got broken in one of the encounters, I don't remember which one.

05uukrul381.jpg

Yep.

05uukrul382.jpg

The next door is Sildar's Supply Shop:

05uukrul386.jpg

Let's buy some food, shall we? Because we've got little left.

05uukrul387.jpg

Two types of food here. What's the difference between them, you ask? Well, I dunno. :M No, really, I haven't been able to figure that out. Maybe I'm just not smart enough. :/

05uukrul390.jpg

Good. 233 coins left.
We sell one of our daggers -- we don't need that many -- and something else that I didn't take a screenshot of:

05uukrul393.jpg

Now let's take a look at what this store has to offer.

05uukrul394.jpg

05uukrul395.jpg

A lot of armour pieces.

05uukrul396.jpg

05uukrul397.jpg

Some weapons.

05uukrul398.jpg

Crosses for the priest -- to make his Turn undead ability more powerful.

05uukrul399.jpg

05uukrul400.jpg

And some consumables, potions, and trinkets.
A whole lotta things. There're no descriptions for items, however, and the manual doesn't give them either -- so we'll have to play a guessing game for the most time. :roll:

We sell two more daggers, and buy Greaves...

05uukrul404.jpg

...and Steel boots for Lord Rocket:

05uukrul406.jpg

Once we've equipped them, Rocket's armour stat goes up from 6 to 10:

05uukrul408.jpg

Nice.
It turns out our short iron sword is broken as well, so we reforge it:

05uukrul411.jpg

Here's an automap of the marketplace area:

05uukrul415.jpg

The shop and the forge are right in the center of it. The forge is the northwestern door of the center building, and the shop, the southeastern one. Let's exit the marketplace now and move further east.
We find ourselves in a corridor with two inscriptions:

05uukrul416.jpg

05uukrul417.jpg

Now that is ... confusing. :dizzy:
Is the game trolling us again?

To the north is a teleporter:

05uukrul418.jpg

05uukrul419.jpg

(Whenever I come across a new teleporter, I write its name down on a piece of paper, since you always have to input a teleporter's name manually -- and you don't want to forget it, trust me.)

And then we explore further north:

05uukrul420.jpg

And stumble into a locked grate:

05uukrul422.jpg

We don't have a key for it yet.
Another inscription tells us we're about to enter a new area:

05uukrul423.jpg

Cool.

05uukrul424.jpg

05uukrul425.jpg

The temple area is down the stairs, but let's explore this floor first, okay?

05uukrul431.jpg

We find a cache with money, yay!

05uukrul435.jpg

Going further...

05uukrul438.jpg

...we get attacked by a group of not very friendly-looking swordsmen!

05uukrul440.jpg

They look kinda too cool for "villagers". :?

05uukrul442.jpg

Yeah, Kalos tries to invoke RALKOR, a prayer to Ufthu, but doesn't succeed.
Then spekkio is hit, very hard:

05uukrul450.jpg

:x

And Bee fails to even wound one of the armed men:

05uukrul454.jpg

Ah yes, they turn out to be ... "merchants". WTF is this shit!?
:retarded:
Bee lays hands on spekkio to heal him. :roll: After a few turns spekkio kills a merchant with an AMRAS, and another merchant runs away. And then another one runs away as well! (There sure is a lot of running away in this game -- so far on enemies' part only.) Finally, the remaining merchant also flees. :lol:
We get some experience -- but more importantly, a hefty sum of money and some kind of oil:

05uukrul474.jpg

What the fuck is the oil for?
It looks like we've explored this area to the full.

05uukrul475.jpg

Let's descend to the temple area.

05uukrul477.jpg

We find ourselves in a corridor with a drawing:

05uukrul482.jpg

05uukrul483.jpg

Jumping a bit ahead of myself, let me tell you that this is a plan of the temple area layout: F is the temple of Fsofth, God of the Spiritual Self; D is the temple of Drutho, God of the Underworld; U, the temple of Ufthu, God of War; and finally G, the temple of Golthur, God of the Physical Self. Yes, we'll have to visit every temple by foot every time we think Kalos is eligible for a better ring to a particular god. Hardcore.

The temple area is actually to the south...

05uukrul484.jpg

...but since I didn't know that at that point, I decided to head further east down the corridor:

05uukrul485.jpg

We descend some stairs and enter an ordinary-looking door:

05uukrul488.jpg

05uukrul489.jpg

A new area. All right.

05uukrul490.jpg

A catacomb? I'm trembling with fear already!

05uukrul491.jpg

Oops.

05uukrul492.jpg

Two zombie thingies, yay.

05uukrul493.jpg

Kalos tries to turn undead but fails. (No message pops up when turning undead, unfortunately, so I can't show you a "failed" text or anything.) It takes a lot of hits to bring a corpse's health down -- maybe 4 or 5, something like that:

05uukrul509.jpg

Kalos manages to invoke SIRDHE, and I can finally show you the blinking sign of Golthur:

05uukrul514.jpg

Cool.
The second undead corpse turns out to be easier to bring down:

05uukrul520.jpg

05uukrul521.jpg

Good. Let's explore the catacomb some more.

05uukrul527.jpg

We approach some really *evil* door.

05uukrul528.jpg

05uukrul561.jpg

I don't really think we're ready to face whatever it is behind it, so let's head back to the upper floor.

05uukrul529.jpg

Okay, I totally saw that coming.

05uukrul530.jpg

Two corpses and four rats.
Bee easily kills the first rat, but two of the rats turn out to be Large Rats, who are a bit tougher than the regular ones.

05uukrul534.jpg

Meaning it takes two hits to kill them instead of just one. :smug:
Finally all the rats are dead and we can deal with the corpses. (The corpses are slow, so we were free to deal with the rats first.) We're already experienced in undead corpse-slaying, therefore it doesn't take us long.

05uukrul554.jpg

05uukrul555.jpg

We try to make it back as fast as we can -- but some more enemies ambush us along the way.

05uukrul562.jpg

05uukrul563.jpg

Easy as pie.
Except for the fact that Lord Rocket breaks his iron sword:

05uukrul569.jpg

Which doesn't prevent us from winning this fight.

05uukrul575.jpg

And we exit the catacomb. Phew.
We use the teleporter to, uhm, teleport back to the URLASAR sanctuary.

05uukrul581.jpg

Kalos and spekkio finally level-up.

05uukrul582.jpg

Kalos' Strength and Intelligence go up by one point.

05uukrul583.jpg

spekkio, on his part, advances in Piety and Vitality.

05uukrul586.jpg

Next time: we'll be exploring the temples and the magic circle and braving the catacombs again, which will be our first puzzle area -- and then we'll make it to the next sanctuary.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Do you know what's the difference between the two types of food rations, Fowyr? I keep running into those "last longer" inscriptions; is there some kind of pattern or what?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I think this is only joke. In many games (M&M springs to mind) you have different prices on the different quantities of food. Wholesale is cheaper and so on.

desocupado

Magister
I did the math, and it's slightly more advantageous to buy the 100 units kind.

It was something like 1,26 food unit per gold against 1,22 food unit per gold.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Okay, I'm officially stupid. Those inscriptions are obviously supposed to be the adverts for two rival companies producing food rations, Thurgood Inc[orporated] and Subterranean Sports. I failed my INT check.

desocupado said:
I did the math, and it's slightly more advantageous to buy the 100 units kind.

It was something like 1,26 food unit per gold against 1,22 food unit per gold.

Thanks, Mr. Engineering Student! :P

And thanks for your interest, everyone!
:love:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crooked Bee said:
Okay, I'm officially stupid. Those inscriptions are obviously supposed to be the adverts for two rival companies producing food rations, Thurgood Inc[orporated] and Subterranean Sports. I failed my INT check.
*scratches head*
But I thought it was obvious.
DHoU have good sense of humor.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Well, I said I'm stupid. :P And yeah, I failed my humour check as well. :/

I just wasn't paying enough attention. :oops:

EDIT: I thought those was actual hints, not freaking "humour"! Grrrr. Brrrr. Waaaaaah.

Crooked Bee

Patron
To redeem my stupid self a bit in your eyes, o readers, I must inform you that I finally made it to the URSHAS sanctuary today. No casualties. :P The final corridor I had to crawl through was bloody hardcore. Which means that this LP should get at least to URSHAS. Eventually. I won't have much time for writing updates in the next few days.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
To redeem my stupid self a bit in your eyes, o readers, I must inform you that I finally made it to the URSHAS sanctuary today. No casualties. :P The final corridor I had to crawl through was bloody hardcore. Which means that this LP should get at least to URSHAS. Eventually. I won't have much time for writing updates in the next few days.
:(

lightbane

Arcane
What? The 2nd update and no deaths yet? :decline: This game is not hardcore enough, I remember playing The Dark Spire and having my entire party exterminated on the first random encounter. Still, great job as always :thumbsup:

Crooked Bee

Patron
:thumbsup:
Your love for gruesome deaths is approved of, lightbane-kun.

Kz3r0 said:
Crooked Bee said:
:(

:love:

lightbane said:
This game is not hardcore enough

Tell that to Blackadder. :P
This game is pretty hardcore, it just has a very different kind of hardcoreness compared to the Dark Spire. This is just a different kind of game imho, more of a thinkity think/puzzles/traps/exploration one. Plus the difficulty gets more and more steep as one goes; in fact, the game hasn't even begun yet. Also, Dark Spire is popamole as it allows saving anywhere; this game just loves rewriting your saves when something bad happens. There will be deaths, though, I promise. :roll:
Also, it is quite obvious you suck at Dark Spire. Perhaps I should do a Dark Spire LP next to show you the way it should be played? :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom