Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Seal of Evil!

Yeesh

Magister
Waiting so long for update....

2rwp8qx.jpg

Pussycat669

Liturgist
So there it is: Jinyang

1_JinYangEntr.jpg

This is the first large urban area we encounter. Tons of people to talk to, stuff to buy and skill scrolls to find but not much to do in the questing department. Could be because I actually confuse Jinyang with Jiuyuan and therefore try to enter the district office, only to get booted by the guards time and time again.

2_OfficeBuilding.jpg

Might as well look around for useful things to do. There is a merchant who crosses our path.

Man3.jpg
: One moment, girl. You are not from around here, right?

LanWei.jpg
: We come from Eastern Baiyue.

Man3.jpg
: You got the looks of a warrior... I could already tell from first sight that your fighting skills must be impressive.

LanWei.jpg
: Looks good, sounds good.

Man3.jpg
: I have an incredible sword. If you want it, I would like to... ah... but the price...

GaiNie.jpg
: Let me see.

Man3.jpg
: I left the sword at the inn. If you want to take a look, go there and ask for me – my name is Gao.

GaiNie.jpg
: Splendid. Until then!

Little does he know that the conversation has been observed by a curious fellow.

OldMan.jpg
: The old man is muttering to himself. “A mystic sword? Sounds intriguing. I should go and take a look.”

LanWei.jpg
: <Examine this person>

OldMan.jpg
: The old man is wearing the coat of a simple farmer. He is small and skinny, and has a piercing stare, that makes you worried the longer he looks at you. When the man realizes your anxiety, he turns away from you and leaves.

LanWei.jpg
: <Thinks> He looked oddly familiar. Have I've seen him before?

Getting a bad feeling in the gut, we enter the inn to continue the bargain.

Man3.jpg
: Did take you a while to get here. Come, have a look at this. It is a sword that was passed through my family from generation to generation. Do you like it? It can be yours for 50.000 gold pieces. What do you say?

GaiNie.jpg
: That's a hefty sum. It seems to be a fine weapon but there is no sword in the eighteen hells of the underworld that can be worth so much.

Man3.jpg
: What a pity. Very well. Even if we didn't make a deal, we still should depart as friends. Farewell.

LanWei.jpg
: We came here for nothing.

The innkeeper makes us aware that someone sneaked past us on our way out. We go back to investigate and find a familiar scene.

3_TraderKO.jpg

Man3.jpg
: The man looks frightened. He leans shivering against the wall and mutters: “A thief. Damn. He stole my sword!”

LanWei.jpg
: Tell me who did this and I shall catch him!

He loses consciousness. Not much to go with but the criminal couldn't have come far.

4_HanXingIntr.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Is that sword of yours the one from master Gao?

HanXing.jpg
: “So, you found me”, he says scornful. “It appears that I've found my adversary for today.”

LanWei.jpg
: You're bold, to attack me during broad daylight – I will teach you a lesson. Surrender!

HanXing.jpg
: Try me, girl.

LanWei.jpg
: This is your downfall!

The thief is quick to realize that he should have better stick to the shadows.

HanXing.jpg
: You may be good. But that doesn't mean that you can defeat me. As you will soon realize.

LanWei.jpg
: What are you talking about?

HanXing.jpg
: I'm Han Xing, master of disguise! I will take on a new identity with a wink of my hand and disappear in the crowd, hahaha!

LanWei.jpg
: Han Xing? I know that name!

Han Xing throws a smoke bomb and again slips through our fingers. At least he left us some skill upgrades this time around. We continue to look around, finding the stables and a nearby fortune teller.

5_Horses.jpg

Qi Buzi: Men make plans, gods make decisions, and it is difficult to know, what the future holds. You want your fortune told? I haven't opened my shop today and I'm offering you a low price. How about 100 gold coins per divination?

LanWei.jpg
:
1. Predict the future of Lan Wei.
2. Predict the future of Yan Hong.
3. Predict the future of Liang Hu.
4. Predict the future of Cai Xin.
5. Predict the future of Gai Nie.
→ 6. Who are you, that you may claim 100 gold pieces for a simple divination?

Qi Buzi: My name is Qi Buzi, I'm a disciple of the Bloodmoon. Palmistry is my speciality. May I say this? Yes, I can – I'm the greatest fortune teller of the world. The other so called fortune tellers are nothing better than fakirs and charlatans compared to me. My prices are also the best... pitiful 100 coins for one session.

Sounds good enough. Let's give it a shot.

[Lan Wei]
Qi Buzi: Although I was born into a rich family, I don't have many relatives. My parents are both dead. If you insist on doing everything yourself, you'll lose your best friend.

LanWei.jpg
: <Best friend? Could that be Yan Hong>

YanHong.jpg
: If the destiny of person can really be foretold, then everything must be predestined. How could you then change anything? No, I don't believe this garbage.

Qi Buzi: A person actually can change his fate, although it is impossible to change the actions you've already taken, if they are significant.

[Liang Hu]
Qi Buzi: Your life was filled with suffering..., you had to leave your birthplace when you were young... although you will return home, your fate is unavoidable.

LiangHu.jpg
: …

Qi Buzi: …

LiangHu.jpg
: Your prophecies don't scare me.

Qi Buzi: Good for you.

[Yan Hong]
Qi Buzi: You lost your parents at a very young age... you had no home... your fine manners only hide the heart of a murderer... no, I can't read your future... there is too much treachery and desire for vengeance.

LanWei.jpg
: Don't pay attention to him, Yan Hong. You are a good man. You never did anything wrong.

That is mostly because no one gave you a chance I would reckon.

Qi Buzi: A spectator merely sees the results of the chess game; only a player can see the moves until their end. When the time comes, look back and tell me, who you were.

[Cai Xin]
Qi Buzi: Your mother died when you were young... your father is shrouded in darkness, you don't know, where he could be... you're searching for him and his love...

CaiXin.jpg
: Will I ever find him?

Qi Buzi: That is not certain... the window of possibilities closes fast. Don't linger when you could do something, girl.

[Gai Nie]
Qi Buzi: This man seems awe-inspiringly righteous, but that only covers up for his blood stained hands. He walks on the path of vengeance, if I'm not mistaken. Let me give you an advise... don't act rash or overly emotional.

GaiNie.jpg
: You have good senses. I will remember that advise.

Qi Buzi: That's all that I can see... the rest lies in the hands of the gods. Be careful in the future.

After this rather depressing waste of 500 coins, we enter the market place to see if we can get rid of some more when we meet an odd couple.

6_Market.jpg

TianMei.jpg
: The woman stares on her feet, deep in thought. She doesn't notice anyone.

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. <Examine her>
2. <Leave her to her thoughts>

TianMei.jpg
: The girls seems to be about eighteen years old. She has a pale, sickly face, her eyebrows show signs of a grief that you can't even imagine.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: You're very ill.

TianMei.jpg
: She looks up and says “Yes. It's my fate, I think. Don't talk about it in his presence, please. He always becomes very sad when he's reminded of my condition.” Giving the man a hazy gaze, her expression becomes tender and is filled with love.

WeiShen.jpg
: Judging by his pale, troubled expression, you can tell that this man has gone through a lot of misery. His back is hunched and he is thin, as well as weak. But he is also showing clear signs of endurance – his eyebrows cross when he closes his eyes. Something seems to bother him, a problem perhaps.

LanWei.jpg
: Is that patient your wife?

WeiShen.jpg
: He looks up in anger. But when he sees such a young woman standing in front of him he calms down again. “Don't say such things. She... is not my wife. She is just my patient.”

LanWei.jpg
: You seem to be a very faithful doctor.

WeiShen.jpg
: He examines you for a moment. “Faithful? Hm. You could say that. I've taken care of her for three years. But 'faithful' is not the same as 'experienced'. Tian Mei condition has worsened ever since that time. I'm not a good doctor, I'm a fool.”

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Three years? She's really been sick for three years?

WeiShen.jpg
: He shakes his head and sights. “I've been a doctor in Jiuyuan for many years. Not many diseases were outside of my capabilities. But Tian Mei... she is a very unique case. I wasn't able to find anything about her sickness in classic literature or scrolls. I brew many kinds of medication for her, some with better results than others, but nothing that could fully cure her. I talked with many colleagues during these three years everywhere in the Central Plains, but it was hopeless. Nevertheless,

[The dialogue is cut off again. Some ginseng is mentioned that might ease her suffering]

LanWei.jpg
: You didn't get the ginseng yet?

WeiShen.jpg
: “When we arrived at Jinyang, we found out that the Thousand Year Ginseng had already been sold to the tyrant Peng Wudi. I visited his house and wanted to buy it from him but he refused. Now Tian Mei is becoming weaker and weaker. She doesn't want me to be worried so much and pretends to be better... but I know that it's hopeless. There is nothing I can do!” Tears are running down his cheeks.

CaiXin.jpg
: You really care about her, don't you? Is there anything we can do?

LanWei.jpg
: You're a good soul, Cai Xin,… but now that you've offered them our help we will give it to them.

Yeah, Cai Xin, thank you for wasting our time.

WeiShen.jpg
: He refused to sell it to me. How do you know is going to change his mind for you?

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: Who said that we were going to “buy it”. We'll just take it from him. Wait here for us. We'll soon be back – with the ginseng, I promise.

Luckily enough it turns out that Peng Wudi's son has been struck by a severe illness, giving Lan Wei the right idea to force an entrance.

7_PengEntr.jpg

Servant: Who are you and what are you doing on the property of the Peng-Family? Come out. Don't risk the wrath of master Peng or he might kill you!

LanWei.jpg
: Does your master require someone to cure his son?

Servant: You're a doctor? Please come in. The entire household is worried sick.

LanWei.jpg
: On my way! What's the matter with you?!

That was easier than expected. The estate consists of four parts, next to the entrance area. The central plaza,

8_PengCenter.jpg

the training hall to the east,

9_PengEast.jpg

servant quarters to the west,

10_PengWest.jpg

and the kitchen to the north.

11_PengBack.jpg

The sheer size of the place can become a little annoying since this quest will have us run around a lot. Thank god for Cai Xin run-like-hell aura. Speaking of quests, we finally meet the beloved tyrant himself.

12_PengIntr.jpg

PengWudi.jpg
: Are you the girl that came here to treat my son?

LanWei.jpg
: Yes. Every Baiyun is powerful in the arts of healing. Treating this illness is no problem for the likes of us.

I don't think that dead people count as healthy around these parts though.

PengWudi.jpg
: “A Baiyun?”, Peng Wudi asks. “Let's give it a try. I already asked every doctor, that I know, but none of them could tell what's wrong with my son.”

LanWei.jpg
: Bring me to your son, please. I want to examine him.

PengWudi.jpg
: Peng Wudi sighs. “Very well, I will bring you to him. He's resting in the kitchen at the back of this estate.”

LanWei.jpg
: Let's go.

Of course, despite his words we still have to go all the way ourselves.

Peng Wudi's Son: Peng Wudi's son is moaning in pain and his body is shaken by fits of coughing.

LiangHu.jpg
: The signs are the same as the ones when we were tricked by that trader at the tigerfish cave, don't you think?

LanWei.jpg
: This is a case of tigerfish poisoning or I'm the uncle of a pig.

PengWudi.jpg
: How is he? Will he survive?

LanWei.jpg
: Judging by the symptoms, it is obvious that your son has been poisoned by a tigerfish.

PengWudi.jpg
: Tigerfish posion?

LanWei.jpg
: I think your son has touched one of them.

PengWudi.jpg
: Yes, tigerfish are a problem around here. My son and I are the only ones capable of killing them. The simple folk lack the skills for such a task.

LanWei.jpg
: The tigerfish is a vicious creature. It emits a dangerous poison. The poison itself spreads through the entire body and once activated from the outside, it becomes lethal.

PengWudi.jpg
: But how can the poison be activated?

LanWei.jpg
: Someone wants to kill you and your son. We should work on a cure at once.

PengWudi.jpg
: How can you neutralize the poison? What ingredients do you require? I must be swift and make the necessary preparations.

LanWei.jpg
: Cook a tigerfish loin, a Wolfberry, and snake skin together and give the result to your patient. That will cure the poison.

In case you're wondering, Lan Wei will still know how to create a cure even when she never entered the tigerfish cave so no long term rewards here.

PengWudi.jpg
: Yi Fei, go to Jinyang and buy a Wolfberry and a snake skin.

LanWei.jpg
: There are tigerfish nearby. Let's go and get the loin.

We loot the kitchen for the ginseng we were looking for and find it together with an old scroll.

OldScroll.jpg

Chi You... the people of Baiyue... controls all sorts of animals... white bones... the Yellow Emperor... no hope of victory.

Anyway, it's dungeon time!

13_PengCave.jpg

Pretty much like the other tigerfish infected caves we visited before. At least we don't get instantly poisoned for just walking around. A cure is created shortly thereafter and we're in for a nice reward.

PengWudi.jpg
: The life of my son was saved by your hands. Here are 3.000 gold. I hope that you'll accept.

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. Master Peng is so generous that I couldn't possibly refuse.
2. Thank you, master Peng. I'm just doing my duty. I don't need money.

PengWudi.jpg
: Someone wanted to poison my son. I was hoping that you would help me to catch the assassin.

LanWei.jpg
: I'm indebted to you by your generosity. I'll do my best to find the ones responsible.

PengWudi.jpg
: Then I shall look after my son first. If you need anything go and ask Yi Fei. He will assist you as good as possible.

LanWei.jpg
: Many thanks.

We ignored his entrusted bodyguard until now so it seems fair to ask him about the situation.

YiFei.jpg
: Did you find something about the poisoning? If you want to know anything about the Peng family, please, ask!

LanWei.jpg
:
1. What people are part of the family?
2. Can you tell me anything about the enemies of master Peng?
3. Is there someone who has skills in herbalism?

[Family]
YiFei.jpg
: Other than the old and young Peng, there are only the servants and maids, and a drunk, useless cook living in this estate. Peng's wife died some time ago.

[Enemies]
YiFei.jpg
: Peng is a kind and generous man. He doesn't have enemies.

[Herbalism]
YiFei.jpg
: We don't have anyone here who knows the arts of alchemy and herbalism.

LanWei.jpg
: Were there any strangers visiting you lately?

YiFei.jpg
: No, we didn't have any visitors for a while.

Quick & pointless. Maybe the chef that Yi Fei mentioned has some better gossip to throw around.

Cook: I'm the cook of the Peng family.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. Are you cooking your whole day for the family?
2. Have you noticed any strangers or odd things in the estate recently?
3. What did the young master eat before he was poisoned?

[Strangers]
Cook: Strangers? Not that I know of. On the other hand there's always work in the kitchen, so I don't get out much.

[Cooking]
Cook: I'm cooking for master Peng for twenty years now. Sometimes the servants help me but you're the first stranger that enters my kitchen.

[Last Meal]
Cook: Do you imply that I've poisoned the young master? I've worked here for more than two decades in the name of the Peng family! How dare you to suspect me?

LanWei.jpg
:
1. I don't suspect you. I'm only searching for information. I have another question: did you notice any strangers in Peng's estate?
2. I don't suspect you. I'm only searching for information. If I will need more I'll ask you again.
→ 3. I don't suspect you. I'm only searching for information. I have another question: what are you doing in your spare time?

Cook: Spare time? I don't have much of that, but then, I drink and sing.

LanWei.jpg
: Have you maybe drunk too much lately?

Cook: Well, I was with those two craftsmen recently. These boys drank me under the table, I must confess.

LanWei.jpg
: Craftsmen? What craftsmen?

Cook: Those who made the folding screen. Have been here for about a month. Didn't Yi Fei tell you about them?

LanWei.jpg
: I'll have to ask him.

But before that we examine the folding screen back at Peng Wudi's manor where we first met him.

LanWei.jpg
: This screen is new. There is a harvest moon painted on it... and it smells familiar... yes, of course...

That is enough of a clue for this investigation.

LanWei.jpg
: Where are the craftsmen who created the folding screen? They must be the ones that poisoned Peng Wudi's son!

YiFei.jpg
: Those two are in the servant quarters, west of the estate.

LanWei.jpg
: Report to master Peng. I will catch those two.

14_PengCraftsman.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Are you one of the craftsmen who made the folding screen in master Peng's living room?

Craftsman: Yeah? What business is it to you?

LanWei.jpg
: You are the fiends who poisoned the son of Peng Wudi! It's time you meet your end!

One down, one more to go.

15_PengEscaped.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Yi Fei? Why are you here?

YiFei.jpg
: We're too late. The craftsman has already fled. The windows are open.

LanWei.jpg
: He escaped? I must report back to master Peng.

Another sprint back to the manor, hopefully for the last time.

LanWei.jpg
: Master Peng, we found the assassin. There are two actually: the craftsmen who made your folding screen.

PengWudi.jpg
: How can you be certain it was them?

LanWei.jpg
: There was more to them than meets the eye. Apparently, they are experienced herbalists, and knew about the slumbering poison within you and your son. All they had to do was to find a catalyst to activate it. A cunning plan.

More cunning than that last thing they came up with, that's for sure.

PengWudi.jpg
: What's the catalyst?

LanWei.jpg
: They hid an incense in the folding screen when they were building it up. That was the catalyst which activated the poison. The brilliant part of the plan was that they didn't even needed to be here to work. No one would have ever suspected them.

PengWudi.jpg
: Very subtle. I think I want to have a word with these men.

LanWei.jpg
: Yi Fei and I have caught one of them but the other was able to escape.

PengWudi.jpg
: You're a formidable young lady. If you stay and become a servant of my house then, together with Yi Fei, the Peng family will become the most powerful family in the province!

LanWei.jpg
: Thank you for your kindness but I have urgent business to attend to. I can't stay for long.

PengWudi.jpg
: Then I can't force you to stay. I hope that you'll return and stay by my side in the future.

LanWei.jpg
: Thank you but I really must go.

The odd couple waits for its ginseng but there is another interception in our way.

16_Ambush1.jpg

Young Man: Are you the one who tricked her way into the house of the Peng family?

LanWei.jpg
: Haha, that is the first sign that you're dealing with a master.

Young Man: Really? I've heard that your Kung Fu is rather good. Care for a friendly match, hmm?

LanWei.jpg
: As you wish. A contest... but nothing more than that!

Like anyone is going to believe that. The chap goes for the kill but gets a fist in the face.

Young Man: Since you've won, you may decide my fate.

LanWei.jpg
: We agreed on a friendly match. Why did you try to kill me?

Young Man: You murdered my brother. If I can't avenge his death then my life is worthless.

LanWei.jpg
: I killed him? Not likely, I don't even know who he was.

Young Man: My brother was the craftsman of the house of Peng Wudi.

LanWei.jpg
: What?

Young Man: We two planned this mission to get rid of Peng Wudi, that tyrant. But you and Yi Fei prevented it. You have killed my brother and left Jinyang in a state of oppression.

LanWei.jpg
: Peng Wudi is the tyrant of Jinyang?

Young Man: Peng Wudi is the horror of every citizen here. His son was attracted to my sister, but my parents refused, and so Peng Wudi made plans to have them killed. What is exactly what he did. Luckily my brother was able to save me. For five years we worked towards our vengeance. But now, thanks to you, it will not be possible anymore.

LanWei.jpg
: It was your plan to weave the poison into the “Harvest Moon”, wasn't it?

Young Man: My brother and some of his friends, who too have suffered under Peng Wudi, devised the plan.

LanWei.jpg
: Why did you do it?

Young Man: We can't defeat him. And he gets help from Yi Fei.

LanWei.jpg
: Why does Yi Fei support him?

Young Man: We asked for his help a few years ago. He infiltrated Peng's household but he became his blood brother over time. Together, they harass the little people whenever they see the opportunity. Since he betrayed us, we had to find more subtle ways. We planed to poison him and then attack Yi Fei with our swords. But now we don't even have that option.

LanWei.jpg
: This explains everything.

The man redirects us to Yi Fei's parents who confirm his story and wish for nothing better but the (preferably horrible) death of their son to restore the family honour. This should be fun.

17_Ambush2.jpg

YiFei.jpg
: Why did you return? What do you want?

LanWei.jpg
: Peng Wudi has done much ill. You helped him and supported him. You harassed the people of Jinyang together. How dare you to make me believe that Peng Wudi was a friendly and honest man?

YiFei.jpg
: The truth is not what you thought it would be. You should better go now.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. You can't deny that you're in league with him. Enough excuses, Yi Fei. Prepare to die!
→ 2. Peng Wudi wasn't only as treacherous as you, no, you were even worse! Because you knew all along what was right and good, but still offered him your sword! I'm ashamed for you, Yi Fei!

YiFei.jpg
: You have been misinformed, my friends. There is something I have to tell you.

LanWei.jpg
: A confession at the last minute? That seems like a little too late!

Yi Fei acts much like any other paladin in combat. The meanest thing he'll do at times is to use Dragon Rising to jump to one of your spellcasters and deal a few critical hits but with Cai Xin's damage output and Yan Hong's healing support, he goes down eventually. A few more slaughtered servants later, we come face to face with the muscle man.

PengWudi.jpg
: You've killed Yi Fei?

LanWei.jpg
: I've rid Jinyang of a cancer. Prepare to die, Peng Wudi.

Peng Wudi can handle out a lot of pain and even use some kind of earthquake attack to stun nearby opponents. Best way to deal with him is to cast slow, take him on from a distance and keep your PCs in good shape until the final deathblow.

18_PengFight.jpg

That's the official ending of this story. The more interesting stuff however happens if you actually lose the fight against Yi Fei, in which case he will throw you out. Lan Wei won't settle with defeat and go for another try in which case the following occurs.

19_PengKilled.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: What happened here?

Servant: Our master... Yi Fei killed him.

LanWei.jpg
: Yi Fei?

20_PengFlashback.jpg

YiFei.jpg
: We're glad that your son is getting better, Wudi.

PengWudi.jpg
: Thanks, brother.

Servant 1: May the gods protect him, master.

Servant 2: I wish him a quick recovery.

PengWudi.jpg
: Come. Let's drink.

YiFei.jpg
: It's an honour to share a drink with you, brother.

PengWudi.jpg
: On your health!

Yi Fei suddenly stabs Peng Wudi in the back.

PengWudi.jpg
: Ah... Yi Fei, you...

YiFei.jpg
: You're a tyrant, Wudi. The people of Jinyang can't take it any more. For their sake – you leave me no other choice...

PengWudi.jpg
: You know how things work, Yi Fei! I can't allow myself to show weakness, or my enemies will not hesitate to hunt me with their daggers.

YiFei.jpg
: Heaven favours the righteous man, not the powerful.

PengWudi.jpg
: I... I'm not as evil as you think.

YiFei.jpg
: You're right. You always have been kind to me, and I'm grateful for that. But in the name of Jinyang I must forget our friendship.

PengWudi.jpg
: Yi Fei, you're righteousness has touched my heart. You are a good friend. No one shall stop you if you want to leave.

YiFei.jpg
: Brother.

PengWudi.jpg
: Don't speak any further. I wanted to hear the truth from someone close to me.

YiFei.jpg
: Brother!

PengWudi.jpg
: My entire life I dreamed about becoming the hero of the people. I'm afraid it's too late for that now.

YiFei.jpg
: Wudi, you're one of the finest men I've ever known. We could have done so much for Jinyang.

PengWudi.jpg
: I'm slowly starting to believe that this could be true. I've never thought that my best friend would be after my blood.

YiFei.jpg
: There is an old saying: Loyalty and justice don't necessarily go hand in hand. I betrayed you for justice. Although my reasons are just, my deeds were not. I don't expect to leave this place alive, brother.

Yi Fei stabs himself dead.

PengWudi.jpg
: Yi Fei!

Peng Wudi succumbs to his wound, ending this little emotional play between the two.
We can now finally get the ginseng back to the couple. At least someone deserves a happy end in their story.

Skill Corner

Liang Hu
StoneDemon.png
: 100 Stone Demons (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of River of Life
Additional Effects: Repels negative status effects and curses +2% for every five points of earth
Notes: Helps against the slow effect that most water based enemies love to use which can be devastating for a slow poke like Liang Hu

Cai Xin
BreathingTiger.png
: Breathing Tiger (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Merciless Heart
Additional Effects: Absorbs +%2 LP per strike for every five points of wood
Notes: Cai Xin's only healing capability and considering her low armour value too slow to recover any significant loss

Gai Nie
TakingRoot.png
: Strike Root (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Reaping the Thorns
Additional Effects: Absorbs +%2 LP per strike for every five points of wood
Notes: Same story as with Cai Xin although Gai Nie comes with enough armour on him to make this useful

Pussycat669

Liturgist
The game won't let us leave the city until we see the creepy old man that stalked us in the woods. To the wine merchant!

1_ChengYuHome.jpg

Liu Jiang: Are you here to see Cheng Yu? He hasn't been here for a while now...

LanWei.jpg
: Oh...

YanHongSad.jpg
: Bah! I told you that the word of someone from the Central Plains carries no weight. Otherwise he wouldn't live here.

CaiXinSad.jpg
: Maybe he's busy.

YanHongSad.jpg
: Busy with what? You think more than us? With what, I ask you?

CaiXinSad.jpg
: Yan Hong, stop being so unreasonable. It looks like you're just looking for excuses to hate the Qin.

YanHongMad.jpg
: Who needs excuses? They gave me enough reasons to hate them! Cai Xin, your father was Qin and he abandoned your family, didn't he? Where is the honour in that? And Cheng Yu promised to meet us here, but he lied. He lied to us! Do I have to continue?

LanWei.jpg
: Silence, Yan Hong!

YanHong.jpg
: Lan Wei...

LanWei.jpg
: We can't stay any longer. Let's go.

They won't let us get away that easy.

2_ZhangLiangIntr.jpg

ZhangLiang.jpg
: Gai Nie!

GaiNieShock1.jpg
: Zhang Liang? What on earth are you doing here? Why did you came to Jinyang? And are wearing such rags...

ZhangLiang.jpg
: We have to disguise ourselves as beggars since we're wanted by the soldiers from Qin. That way no one is going to look at us twice. You know, on my way from Cloudfield, I passed Jinyang to visit my sister, but I couldn't find her.

GaiNieMad.jpg
: Your sister she... she is dead. I'm sorry.

ZhangLiang.jpg
: What? She's dead? How could this happen?

GaiNieMad.jpg
: A few days ago, the Qin came to arrest me... she... took her as a hostage. But... instead of accepting my surrender, she decided to take her and our baby's life. She committed suicide and I remained free. I still didn't have the time to fully recover.

ZhangLiang.jpg
: Dammit! Do those soldiers have to murder everyone we love?! By the sting of the devil – I will kill every single one of those dogs...!

GaiNie.jpg
: Don't talk so loud. Don't forget in whose lands you are. My friends, this is Zhang Liang, a close acquaintance of mine for years. Since Han fell, he has wandered through the land in search for followers, who could help him to overthrow the Qin.

ZhangLiang.jpg
: My brother, what are your plans? Are those friends of yours from Baiyue? Why are they here?

CaiXin.jpg
: Gai Nie will join the hero Jing Ke when he assassinates the tyrant Ying Zheng in Xianyang. We're just tagging along at the moment.

ZhangLiang.jpg
: You want to kill the king of Qin? Are you crazy? With all due respect. That's an impossible task. I know that Jing Ke and prince Yan are close. That murder must be his idea. If Jing Ke fails, then Ying Zheng will be furious at Yan. If they attack Qin Yan, then it can not end well, you know that.

CaiXin.jpg
: And if we're successful? What then?

ZhangLiang.jpg
: Even then you'll be in trouble. Do you know Fu Su, the king's son? He's known for his righteousness. If Ying Zheng falls, then he will take the throne and the Qin state will become even more powerful than ever before. If you let the tyrant live however then the people are going to overthrow him themselves. The state will fall into disarray and chaos and Baiyue will be safe. Then we can strike! Then the we shall destroy the Qin state.

GaiNieMad.jpg
: None of this has any meaning to me. I will kill Ying Zheng, to avenge my wife and my unborn child!

ZhangLiang.jpg
: That's nothing like the Gai Nie that I knew. You don't stand a chance. The man lives in the most well protected city of China. And he is a great swordsman himself. Even if you get past his elite guards, you'll still have to fight him!

GaiNieMad.jpg
: Rest assured my friend, this blade will taste the blood from Ying Zheng's heart.

ZhangLiang.jpg
: Many good men who tried to get inside the palace in Xianyang have lost their life. You will not be the last, you can be sure of it.

GaiNie.jpg
: Zhang Liang, I have to do this for my family. How could I live with myself otherwise?

ZhangLiang.jpg
: You really have a death wish, don't you? How about you search for the Imperial Stones instead? You know, legend says that they got the power to bring the dead back to life. You could just revive China's greatest heroes and storm the Qin palace.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: What did you say? You know of the Imperial Stones?

ZhangLiang.jpg
: Yes. My teacher showed me one yesterday when I visited him in Cloudfield Village and he told me about their unique power. But he also said that they will only work when they're together.

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: What a stroke of luck! Your teacher really has one of them? Yan Hong, do you hear this? We found another stone. Zhang Liang, can you bring us to the house of your teacher?

ZhangLiang.jpg
: Wait a minute, I'm confused. Do you too possess an Imperial Stone?

YanHong.jpg
: No, we...

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: Yes. We are searching for the stones and have already found one. Our mission is very important, believe me. Can you bring us to your teacher's house?

GaiNie.jpg
: Those stones could really bring back the dead?

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: We found one and know the locations of three more. Until now, everything is like the legend.

GaiNie.jpg
: Bring back the dead...

LanWei.jpg
: Zhang Liang, bring us to your teacher, quickly.

ZhangLiang.jpg
: Of course, but it's getting dark. The way to Cloudfield leads through those hills, which are dangerous at night. We better leave tomorrow in the morning.

CaiXin.jpg
: I concur, Lan Wei. Let's do what he says.

LanWei.jpg
: Very good, until tomorrow morning. We'll meet here.

Yan Hong is still in full arsehole mode though.

3_Rest1.jpg

YanHong.jpg
: Lan Wei, why did you tell Zhang Liang about the Imperial Stones?

LanWei.jpg
: What do you mean by that?

YanHong.jpg
: We just met him! How do you even know that he's trustworthy?

LanWei.jpg
: He doesn't look like a bad person.

YanHong.jpg
: You can't judge people by their looks! What if he's rotten to the core? He too is Qin! You know you can't trust them!

CaiXin.jpg
: Yang Hong, don't be foolish. Not every Qin is evil just because their king is.

YanHong.jpg
: You're mistaken. Everyone knows that people of the Central Plains don't do anything but cause trouble.

CaiXin.jpg
: When I lived in Giants Keep, I met traders from Qin. They weren't bad. They were even quiet friendly, unlike what you think.

YanHong.jpg
: Bah! You're so naïve. They were nice to you only because they wanted your money. So: who is the fool now?

CaiXin.jpg
: Take that back!

YanHong.jpg
: Why? It is true, and you know it. If you would have witnessed how your parents are killed in front of your very eyes by Qin soldiers, you would also speak differently – I bet! They're animals!

CaiXin.jpg
: Oh... why on earth...you... you...

YanHong.jpg
: I see. Your father is Qin. No wonder, that you're defending them.

CaiXin.jpg
: That's not fair!

YanHong.jpg
: Say, do you really believe, that the Qin will ever accept you as one of their own? They will not! Even your father couldn't accept that you were only half a Qin. Or why do you think he left your Baiyun mother so quickly? He did it because of shame!

CaiXin.jpg
: You... are really cruel!

She runs off.

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong, stop it. You're going too far. Now you've chased her away, she ran off! And if she gets herself into trouble?

Gai Nie enters the scene of the crime.

GaiNie.jpg
: What happened? I just saw Cai Xin running past me with tears in her eyes.

LanWei.jpg
: This big, stupid bonehead made fun of her feelings. Come, we'll go look for her. Yan Hong, you stay put. Cai Xin will probably not be delighted to see you. I can't say that I blame her. I don't like you much either right now.

So we land outside the inn and since Cai Xin is gone and Yan Hong is grounded, our party rooster has shrunken down to three, the first subtle hint that forced split ups can and will happen so you better don't focus too much on specific PCs. Cai Xin is lingering in a field nearby.

LanWei.jpg
: Cai Xin...

GaiNie.jpg
: Lan Wei just told me what Yan Hong did, Cai Xin. I don't think that he said it on purpose. Trust me. Deep inside, he's a good kid.

CaiXin.jpg
: Thanks, Gai Nie, Lan Wei.

GaiNie.jpg
: We're friends, Cai Xin. If something troubles you then don't bury it inside your heart. You should tell us, maybe we can help.

CaiXinSad.jpg
: My mother died after I was born. The villagers said that my father abandoned us... I always believed that he was a good man, like my aunt told me.

LanWei.jpg
: Why are the villagers of Giants Keep so hostile towards you? Is it only because your father comes from the Central Plains?

CaiXin.jpg
: Yes.

GaiNie.jpg
: They're fanatic fools, that they would hate you just because of your father's origin.

Yan Hong follows up with the rest.

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong, what are you doing here? I said you should wait at the inn.

YanHong.jpg
: Cai Xin, I'm really sorry. I was wrong, and I said many terrible things. Do you believe that you can forgive me?

CaiXin.jpg
: Just forget about it, Yan Hong.

GaiNie.jpg
: Yeah, let's forget about it. Lan Wei already explained to us that it's not your fault that you're a jackass. It's a vital part of your Baiyun nature.

4_Rest2.jpg

GaiNie.jpg
: Cai Xin, is your father really from the Central Plains?

CaiXin.jpg
: Yes. Although I've never met him. They said that he left before I was born. My mother died shortly thereafter...

GaiNie.jpg
: I'm sorry.

CaiXin.jpg
: My aunt Ju had pity with me and raised me like I was her own daughter. The other children always bullied me during my childhood because I was half Qin. Aunt Ju taught me Kung Fu in secret, so that I could defend myself. She died a few years back. I really miss her...

GaiNie.jpg
: Cai Xin...

CaiXin.jpg
: Aunt Ju always told me, that my father wasn't as bad as the other villagers claimed. She said, that he was in fact the nicest person she ever knew. I think that he must have had a good reason to leave us...

YanHong.jpg
: Cai Xin, I'm so sorry. Sometimes I talk faster than I can think.

GaiNie.jpg
: We all have similar stories to tell. It's because of this damn war.

This might be the first time in cRPG history ever that an in-game characters tries to justify the high density of sob stories.

CaiXin.jpg
: Your father and mother too...?

GaiNie.jpg
: Yes. The Huns killed them.

LanWei.jpg
: The Huns?

GaiNie.jpg
: Yes. They invade the Central Plains again and again, to abduct women as playmates for their leaders, the Khans. They slaughter everyone else. I was five when they killed my parents.

5_Flashback1.jpg

Little Gai Nie: Father! Father! Wake up father, please! I will be good, I swear!
Mother, don't leave me! Mother... I'm scared... mother...

6_Flashback2.jpg

Hun Soldier: One of them escaped! Kill him!

Little Gai Nie: Mother! Father! Help me!

A challenger appears.

7_Flashback3.jpg

Swordsman: Be gone you dogs!

Hun Soldier: Ha! Another one ready for the kill!

Considering this is a 8 vs 1 in a martial arts story the outcome seems obvious.

8_Flashback4.jpg

Swordsman: Are you alone boy? Where are your parents?

Little Gai Nie: They are... they are dead!

Swordsman: Poor child. So young, and all alone in the world. You will not survive in the wilderness all by yourself. But I won't allow it. From this day forward you're my student.

Little Gai Nie: Your student?

Swordsman: Yes. You must know how to swing a sword, if you want to avenge your parents, don't you?

GaiNie.jpg
: A friendly swordsman adopted me shortly after that. He didn't just taught me Kung Fu but also what it means to be an upstanding warrior. Later I married his daughter Shuang Er.

Narrator: The next day...

GaiNie.jpg
: My master and I travelled throughout the entire country. He taught me anything that I know. After ten years, at his deathbed, he asked me to find the greatest swordsman and become his student. I did, and shortly thereafter I studied under the most skilled sword arm that ever lived: General Li Mu, from the state of Zhao.

CaiXin.jpg
: What happened then?

GaiNie.jpg
: The king of Zhao preferred to listen to the rumours instead of his trusted adviser and ordered the execution of General Li. I fled, before the Qin could apprehend me. I lived in isolation ever since. But I still couldn't prevent Shuang Er's death....

CaiXin.jpg
: Gai Nie, you're a good man. One day you will have justice. Trust me.

GaiNie.jpg
: I'm tired of this conversation. Look, the sun is rising. Let's go and find Zhang Liang back in town.

We escort him through a panther&foxes infested forest to Cloudfield Village while meeting a merchant on the way and another familiar face.

JiangTuo.jpg
: Haha, I never would have thought that I would meet you again. It appears that we're heading the same way.

LanWei.jpg
: How's your business in Cloudfield Village?

JiangTuo.jpg
: I collected herbs nearby when I spotted you. I thought, I should go and say hello.

LanWei.jpg
: I don't have time for chit chat. Goodbye!

JiangTuo.jpg
: A moment. I'm called Jiang Tuo. May I know your name?

LanWei.jpg
: That, dear sir, is none of your business. Leave me alone.

That was cold but we're finally at Ji Chen's and close to the second Imperial Stone.

9_JiChen.jpg

JiCheng.jpg
: What? Why do you return? Who are these people?

ZhangLiang.jpg
: Master, those are my friends. I want to ask you something.

JiCheng.jpg
: Zhang Liang is a fool. I taught him two things a couple of years back and he now follows me everywhere ever since, all with the “Yes, master” and “As you wish, master” and “Like you say, master!” and so on. Now he knows more than I do. How could I be the master?

LanWei.jpg
: We're looking for the Imperial Stones. Zhang Liang said that you have one.

JiCheng.jpg
: Yes, I have one indeed. It belonged to the king of Zhou. One of my distant relatives asked for it as a reward for his services. Why are you looking for it? What are you intentions?

LanWei.jpg
: <Explain your mission to him>

JiCheng.jpg
: Hmmm, I see. Since you intend to use it against the Qin, it will be my pleasure to give my stone to you. You will be disappointed though, because it's just a legend that it can revive the dead. Come, follow me.

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: Really? Great!

A bookcase is moved to the side, revealing a secret staircase.

10_JiChenBasement.jpg

GaiNie.jpg
: Just look at all these scrolls!

JiCheng.jpg
: As you can see, I like to read. But since the world is in such great turmoil and even bandits start to run rampant, I have no choice but to hide my scrolls here.

He rummages around for a while and returns with a bag.

JiCheng.jpg
: Here... the Imperial Stone. Take it.

LanWei.jpg
: There are pictures on the leather bag which contains the stone!

Further inspection reveals some pretty pictures about not so pretty history.

Scroll1.jpg

This pictures shows a crowd of people, who praise Chi You in front of his temple.

Scroll2.jpg

This picture shows the Yellow Emperor and Chi You who command their troops into battle against each other.

Scroll3.jpg

This picture shows Chi You sitting on his throne, laughing and besides him is a great pit filled with bodies and blood.

Scroll4.jpg

This picture shows the Yellow Emperor and his human army, who fight a lonely Chi You.

JiCheng.jpg
: The stone was within this bag as long as I can remember. The pictures show a fight between the Yellow Emperor and Chi You. When Chi You tried to enslave humanity, the gods sent the Yellow Emperor to stop him. They fought for one hundred years. Chi You lost at the end because his human vassals rebelled against him.

YanHong.jpg
: I...

JiCheng.jpg
: What?

YanHong.jpg
: Oh nothing. It's all right.

JiCheng.jpg
: Mark my words: be very, very careful with the Imperial Stones!

LanWei.jpg
: We will. Thanks.

JiCheng.jpg
: Wait. I must have a word with Gai Nie.

GaiNie.jpg
: Tell me what's on your mind!

JiCheng.jpg
: In all honesty, Gai Nie, you should sever all contacts with Jing Ke. If the assassination is successful, then Fu Su will sit on the throne. In that case the state of Qin will become twice as strong as it is today. He is an intelligent man and loved by the people.

GaiNie.jpg
: Well...

JiCheng.jpg
: And if you're unlucky, Ying Zheng will be so mad that he will only hasten his invasion efforts of the other kingdoms. More lives will be lost than you could imagine. It will be a horrible catastrophe. In time, another king is going to rid us from the king of Qin. Please, Gai Nie, think about what you're doing.

GaiNie.jpg
: I thank you for your advice. I will think of it.

Yan Hong recovers his voice once they get out of the hut.

YanHongMad.jpg
: Gai Nie, the Baiyun believe that the God of War protects and guides them against our enemies. But I can't understand why he's shown as such an evil on these pictures.

GaiNie.jpg
: All the legends say so.

YanHongMad.jpg
: You call this a legend? Bah! I call this heresy! Those people from the plains believe that their Yellow Emperor is wise and good, but they're blind idiots, who let themselves led around by their fat noses by an even greater fool! The God of War is just! Have faith in him instead.

GaiNie.jpg
: I don't know anything about this. True or untrue. In any case, the gods only seem to favour the aristocrats. What do common people care about legends? They only need food and clothes and a roof above their head.

We close this entry together with this little theological argument and another Imperial Stone in our possession, although the lack of an epic dungeon is admittedly rather surprising.

Skill Corner

Lan Wei
FireSky.png
: Fire of the Sky (Offensive)
Effect: Lan Wei summons a meteor shower, crushing any opposition nearby. Attack skill is increased by 10%. Lan Wei can't move while this spell is active
Additional Effects:
An active Fire Talisman increases the range of the spell
Notes: The fire path's answer to Snapping Thorns. Better range, speed and damage but the lack of mobility can prove fatal at times
Upgrade: +10% attack skill per skill upgrade, +2% with every 5 points of fire

Liang Hu
Explosion.png
: Explosion (Offensive)
Effect: Melee all-around attack. Increases attack skill by 10%
Additional Effects:
Increased attack range and speed when combined with Strength of the Earth
Notes: Impressive to look at but Tiger's Claw strikes a better balance between cost and efficiency from my experience
Upgrade: +10% attack skill per skill upgrade, +1% with every 5 points of iron

Yan Hong
DivineBlessing.png
: Divine Blessing (Defensive)
Effect: Increases defence of Yan Hong and all nearby allies by 24
Notes: Anything that keeps Cai Xin alive for a few more moments is a plus in my book. Works on summons too. You'll feel the difference
Upgrade: +8 defence per skill upgrade, +2 for every 5 points of water

Cai Xin
ShootingStar.png
: Shooting Star (Defensive)
Effect: Increases attack speed by 300
Notes: Now there is a decision to make, do you want Cai Xin to make even more damage more quickly or keep her safe. The answer seems obvious
Upgrade: +300 attack speed per skill upgrade, +30 for every 5 points of water

Gai Nie
ReturnVoid.png
: Return to the Void (Offensive)
Effect: Quick and deadly dash attack, increases the attack skill by 100%
Notes: Your number one chance to off fleeing opponents
Upgrade: +20% attack skill per skill upgrade, +2% for every five points of iron

Meditation.png
: Meditation (Defensive)
Effect: LP regeneration is increased by 300% for a very short period of time
Notes: Gai Nie's emergency stimpack to keep him on his feet and fighting. Rather long cooldown
Upgrade: +60% LP regeneration per skill upgrade, +30% for every five points of wood

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Cloudfield Village is another community ridden with a poisoning problem as many people have fallen ill from the water of a nearby river. A lady we meet there brings us on the right quest track.

1_MoQianIntr.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: What are you looking for?

MoQian.jpg
: I'm searching for a sort of blue grass. Although Doctor Bai said that it would grow at the mouth of the river, I couldn't find any.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. It's like searching a needle in a haystack.
2. Near the mouth of the river? Let me help you to search for it.
→ 3. Who is this Bai?

MoQian.jpg
: Healer Bai lives near the entrance of the village. Many people came with the same strange illness recently and he tries to save them. He is in need for a special herb but doesn't have the time to look for it. He asked me to help. It is called Ling-Zhu-Grass.

LanWei.jpg
: Ling-Zhi-Grass? I will help you to find it.

Easy picking with the loot menu (opened by holding alt)

2_WeedSearch.jpg

There is a little mean twist to this as the menu won't show the name of the objects and there are actually two sorts of grass growing, one that we're looking for and another that poisons Lan Wei when picked up. Not much of a problem with a little help of the Wood Talisman. We go to deliver the herbs.

3_BaiShanIntr.jpg

BaiShan.jpg
: I'm the doctor of this village. My name is Bai Shan. Thank you for helping Mo Qian to find the herb.

LanWei.jpg
: It's nothing worth mentioning. I wanted to ask you, for what is Ling-Zhu-Grass used?

BaiShan.jpg
: A strange illness has befallen the villagers... I've never read about symptoms like these from the medical scrolls. Many have died, three are still on the brink of death. I need to find a cure as fast as possible!

LanWei.jpg
: Do you know how to make a cure or an antidote?

BaiShan.jpg
: All what I need is the Ling-Zhi-Grass and I can create a cure.

LanWei.jpg
: We found some Ling-Zhu-Grass that you can use.

BaiShan.jpg
: No, that is not enough. It's not even enough cure for a child. I need at least thrice the amount.

LanWei.jpg
: I will return to the river and bring you some more.

Half a minute later.

BaiShan.jpg
: Do you have the Ling-Zhu-Grass?

LanWei.jpg
: Yes, I've got it. I have three bundles. Here you go.

BaiShan.jpg
: Splendid. I will work on a cure in the meantime.

Mo Qian tasks us to find the source of the illness while the cure is created. Needless to say we're willing to push any obstacle out of the way to find it.

4_SecretCaveHidden.jpg

And whaddaya know, a third tigerfish cave is revealed. But this time the little critters brought their fat momma to the party.

5_Defiler.jpg

RiverDemon.jpg
: I haven't seen a living person for hundred of years. Today is a fortunate day for me!

LanWei.jpg
: Your sort of wickedness deserves a quick end!

His/her poison is even more potent than the one of the tigerfish and my current party rooster lacks the much needed healing skills. The escort doesn't make our job much easier but with all their fire focused on Lan Wei with Wood Talisman on standby it can be done. We return to Bai Shan to see how the cure is progressing.

6_BaiShanReturn.jpg

Mo Qian explains that Bai Shan's search for a cure was successful but came with a terrible price.

BaiShanIll.jpg
: Quickly! Bring the medicine to the house of Mo Qian.

LanWei.jpg
: Ok – I'm on my way.

Another day, another fed ex quest well done and all the surviving poisoned people are saved.

BaiShanIll.jpg
: I'm dying. I was such a fool and tried the poison on myself to analyse it. But the poison is attacking my five holy organs... there is no more hope for me.

LanWei.jpg
: <Thinks> He... is like the god of the peasants from ancient times, who tasted all herbs to protect the people from harm. He too was lying on his deathbed, when he took the Heartache-Herb by accident. Could it be that the Heartache-Herb is the same as the Ling-Zhu-Grass? They have very similar effects.

BaiShanIll.jpg
: Since I... am about to die, I will confess a secret that has burdened my heart for all those years... my ancestor... he was warlord Bai Qi... during the reign of Zhao Wang of the state of Qin...

LanWei.jpg
: Bai Qi! Bai Qi was your ancestor?

BaiShanIll.jpg
: Yes... despite his great accomplishments, he killed a lot of people. During the battle of Shang Dang, he took 20.000 Zhao soldiers prisoner. He separated them into two group, tied them back to back and drove them into the river. During the battle of Chang Ping, he burried 400.000 more Zhao soldiers alive, after they had surrendered. He buried them beneath the village Shang Dang...

LanWei.jpg
: 400.000 people! He buried 400.000 people alive? By the gods... he must've been a madman!

BaiShanIll.jpg
: Yes, that he was... the people of Zhao cursed him. The expression for the beans curd they ate regularly was “Bao-Qi-Meat” and for dried bean skin “Bao-Qi-Skin”.They symbolically consumed him and gave him a special place in the eighteen hells. It's a sad thing... when you go to the village, where he buried the soldiers, the grass and crop is the sweetest in the entire country... What a horrible irony, and an even worse memory...

LanWei.jpg
: You're not responsible for the crimes of those before you. You're a kind and compassionate person. If you need any proof for that then remember the old legends of the god of the peasants. You tried the poison on yourself to save your people.

BaiShanIll.jpg
: It is my task and my virtue, to be able to serve the villagers... Mo Qian, I have trained you for years. If I should die, then you will become the healer of the village. You're the smartest girl that I know, read the scrolls, that I wrote for you. My time has come.

This would usually the time when this quest ends but thanks to my metagaming knowledge, I'm now able to squeeze a few more XP out of the situation.

JiangTuo.jpg
: I collect herbs from Cloudfield-Hill. If you need anything, then join me there and be my guest.

LanWei.jpg
: Jiang, have you ever seen this?

JiangTuo.jpg
: Is this the heart of the legendary Wicked Beast? It is the most poisonous creature that the world has ever known.

LanWei.jpg
: The Wicked Beast? You mean the one that I killed?

JiangTuo.jpg
: You are meant for great things if you can even match the Wicked Beast.

LanWei.jpg
: The Wicked Beast poisoned the people of Cloudfield Village. I killed it to save them. But healer Bai paid with his life.

JiangTuo.jpg
: The healer Bai?

LanWei.jpg
: <Tell Jiang Tuo the tale of Bai Shan.>

JiangTuo.jpg
: I get the feeling that the heart of the Wicked Beast could be used as a cure, to heal Bai Shan. It's probably the only way to save him.

LanWei.jpg
: I must go and save him! Thanks, Jiang Tuo. My name is Lan Wei.

Going back to Mo Qian you're presented with three options how to prepare the cure. Jiang Tuo was supposed to give you the needed pointers but apparently the translators preferred to turn this into a guessing game. It's fairly easy though since only the correct answer will wield a reward. Three is the one. Still, there is another town, small and apparently insignificant, lying to the east. We head there next. Shouldn't take too long.

Skill Corner

Gai Nie
StabHeart.png
: Sting to the Heart (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Cleave, 60 points of fire and active Imperial Guard + Dragon Rising
Additional Effects: An extremely powerful dashing attack, dealing critical damage to everything in Gai Nie's path
Notes: Didn't have much time to play around with that one. From first glance it needs a long time to be activated and lasts only for seconds so you better make those hits count

Pussycat669

Liturgist
There you go, three new entries should provide enough reading material for now. That's the first half of chapter 4 tied together with my sincere apologies.

Still having fun with his girl, I suppose.

Guilty as charged.

ChBabejpeg.jpg

Hold on, I think that's not the one you meant.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Awww the LP of much drama is back!

depressing waste of 500 coins

Yeah, those predictions don't seem to have any worth whatsoever.

In case you're wondering, Lan Wei will still know how to create a cure even when she never entered the tigerfish cave so no long term rewards here.

:rage:

And there sure is a lot of poisoning going on in this LP.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Wrong, Yeesh, wrong! This is a story about respect&tolerance, not hate&point fingers (except for Huns, they're lower beings). It will be more clear once we reach Jiuyuan and meet Jesus.

And there sure is a lot of poisoning going on in this LP.
True that. There is even one more village with a similar situation to go if I remember correctly.

Edit: Also only two more posts until next page? That was quick.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
It is too easy for us to think of Jesus as a European, usually with blue eyes and light brown hair. After all, that is so very common and familiar to us. But Advent is an excellent time to remember that Jesus is Lord of all and that he came to save us all.

I... don't quiet get the argument there.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
1_OldNews.jpg

More reoccurring NPCs coming up.

WeiShen.jpg
: Judging by his impression, this man must have suffered a great deal. Despite the white hair at his temples, he can only be around his thirties. There are many cuts on his hands and knees, probably from the sharp rocks on the hill, but he apparently doesn't notice them. He looks troubled at a girl that is leaning against a tree. Emotions collide. Could this be Wei Shen and Tian Mei, the two lost lovers that you met in Jinyang?

LanWeiShock.jpg
: What are you two doing here? I thought that you would be in Jinyang!

WeiShen.jpg
: Wei Shen looks shocked. “What? You? I never thought I would see you again!”

LanWei.jpg
: Wei Shen what on earth are you doing here? Does the Thousand Year Ginseng not work?

WeiShen.jpg
: An expression of sadness overcomes Wei Shen. He looks tenderly to Tian Mei, who lies unconscious. “The ginseng did work, actually. She was as good as new after consumption, at least for a few days... so healthy and happy... like she was reborn. Then, for whatever reason, the illness returned and now she's worse than before!”

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Why did that happen?

WeiShen.jpg
: The suffering of Tian Mei is breaking my heart. She gets worse every day. I heard of a variety of an aquatic plant which grows in Heaven's Lake called Tian-Hu-Grass. Apparently it has some special properties, which could help curing severe illnesses and afflictions. So we made the long, difficult journey to this place.

LanWei.jpg
: No wonder you look so tired!

WeiShen.jpg
: Tian Mei became increasingly feeble during our travels. I carried her on my back and climbed the tallest mountains – with her in my arms [Lying face down, he looked up to me]. Sometimes we almost got killed. It took time but we finally arrived at Heaven's Lake, only to find out that it has dried up! If the lake is dry, then there is no grass and Tian Mei will die!” Tears are running down his cheek.

CaiXinShock.jpg
: Your dedication to her is so selfless!

WeiShen.jpg
: I will do whatever it takes to save her life. I can't lose her! I will not lose her!

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. We will help you, my friend. We will find the herb that you need.
2. <Thinks> The Qin people always seem so cold but this man is different. I don't know though if I can help him. I better let him walk his own path.

WeiShen.jpg
: You're too kind. Sadly, no mortal seems able to solve the problem with Heaven's Lake, I think...

LanWei.jpg
: We shall see. I'll try.

Sounds like we got our work cut out for us. There is another small sidequest to find a kid but we'll skip ahead to the main course.

2_OldMan.jpg

Old Man Zhao: Who are you? Do you need help?

LanWei.jpg
: We are just travellers. We're looking for a safe place to rest.

Old Man Zhao: There are too many bandits around here and that's unfortunate. It's very dangerous if you don't have a place to stay. You can sleep in my house for tonight, if you like.

LanWei.jpg
: Thanks.

So it's another bandit invasion we have to deal with too.

3_BanditsAppear.jpg

LingYanMad.jpg
: Come out! All of you!

Villager: Master Ling, what are you doing?

LingYanMad.jpg
: You have three days to leave this village. If you're still here by then we'll kill you.

Villager: What? This is our home!

Magic shotgun does the diplomacy.

4_BanditsMad.jpg

LingYanMad.jpg
: I have spoken. Three days, nothing more.

LanWei.jpg
: What a tyrant!

CaiXin.jpg
: He can't just chase people away like that!

GaiNie.jpg
: Let's go and teach him some manners.

LingYanMad.jpg
: Listen, you peasants! You have three days to disappear from this village. If you don't then you'll find out that I can become quiet rude!

LanWei.jpg
: The villagers have already suffered enough; they don't need the likes of you, who add to their misery. If you don't leave right now, you'll regret it!

Our heroes leap into action and blood is spilled.

LingYanMad.jpg
: Who are you?

LanWei.jpg
: We're simple travellers, who can't stand people like you.

LingYanMad.jpg
: Pah! You strangers are disrupting my plans!

LanWei.jpg
: What plans? You're just a small time crook. What kind of planning do you need for that?

LingYanMad.jpg
: I'm the only one who can stop the drought of Heaven's Lake.

LanWei.jpg
: Really? Then you'll do just that or you'll have problems.

LingYanMad.jpg
: What do you want from me? Do you really believe that you're the hero of this village? You're the crook here, not me.

LanWei.jpg
: What are you talking about? Hey! Stay here...

He is gone. We collect some intel on him before we start our pursuit.

Old Man Zhao: The person that lives at Heaven's Lake is a bandit. His name is Ling Yan. We shared a neutral relationship with him for many years. I don't know why he's trying to force us out recently. We lived here for a very long time and certainly don't want to be chased away.

LanWei.jpg
: Back there he said that Heaven's Lake dried up. Why?

Old Man Zhao: Our village lies close to the shore of Heaven's Lake, therefore the name. The lake was once rich of life, but it dried up in the last couple of years, and no one knows the reason. Without the lake, we can't survive.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. Sadly, I must be on my way, otherwise I would take care of this.
→ 2. I will find out why Heaven's Lake is dry.

For that we'll need to enter the lion's den first.

7_BanditCamp.jpg

LingYanMad.jpg
: Why did you come to Heaven's Lake?

LanWei.jpg
: I'm investigating the water shortage. You said you were the only one who knows the reason.

LingYanMad.jpg
: Have you ever heard of the tomb under Heaven's Lake or the guardian?

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. No, I never heard of such things.
2. Yes, I have. They say, that the Kun-Wu-Sword of the Yellow Emperor is hidden there.

LingYanMad.jpg
: The Sword-Tomb under Heaven's Lake was the place where the Yellow Emperor hid his Kun-Wu-Sword after he had defeated Chi You.

LanWei.jpg
: I heard of this before.

LingYanMad.jpg
: The Yellow Emperor left two guardians to protect the tomb. One was as hot as fire, the other cold as ice. They come and go together because they form a delicate balance. That's the reason why Heaven's Lake is so vivid. It comes from the magic of the guardians.

LanWei.jpg
: Guardians of fire and ice?

LingYanMad.jpg
: During the winter months, the fire guardian becomes tired. He seldom moves and does nothing. During that time the ice guardian protects the tomb. During summer the situation is reversed. The water level is also lower during that time because of the heat of the fire guardian.

LanWei.jpg
: Are those two beast really magical?

LingYanMad.jpg
: Three summers ago, someone discovered the Sword-Tomb. He went inside and killed the ice guardian. But before he could take the Kun-Wu-Sword, the fire guardian caught him off guard. Now only one creature is left. He builds up more and more heat for every passing year, since there is no ice that could cool him. He is the reason for the drought. The fire guardian also has lost his way without his companion. He attacks everyone who tries to get closer to the lake.

LanWei.jpg
: Is it possible to save Heaven's Lake?

LingYanMad.jpg
: Only if somebody kills the fire guardian. I tried to save the people, that's why I said that they should leave their homes for the time being. I didn't bother to give them a reason because they are superstitious and would have tried to stop me.

LanWei.jpg
: I see. I will kill the fire guardian, to save the village.

5_Worm.jpg

On our sightseeing tour through Heaven's Lake we encounter a new enemy type. The fearsome Quake Worm. Tough little critters but also one of the few who drop universal crafting materials. I see some big upgrades for the earth people coming up.

GaiNieWang.png

The whole surrounding has some chilling post-apocalyptic feeling to it as well.

6_DrySea.jpg

It only goes downwards from there.

8_DungeonPit.jpg

The below labyrinth is a little confusing at first glance since it's not much of a labyrinth. You get to choose between three possible exit points a few times. Each will transport you to another section of the tomb. That means that you might miss a few chests on the way but also that you'll always end up at the goal.

9_FireGuardian.jpg

The guardian is not as mean as he looks although his nasty habit of setting people on fire can be troublesome. He drops some jade that counts as a quest item so we bring it back to the bandits to finish the matter.

LanWei.jpg
: That accursed beast was tough. I had to give everything to kill it.

LingYanMad.jpg
: “You've killed the guardian?” Ling Yan seems surprised. “How about the red jade stone in his head. Do you have that too?”

LanWei.jpg
: He had a stone. But it was almost too hot to touch.

LingYanMad.jpg
: Give me the fire jade. Quick, quick!

LanWei.jpg
: I'm sorry, but I fought for it fair and square. If it's so important to you then you should have killed the guardian yourself.

LingYanMad.jpg
: If you don't hand me the fire jade then I will kill you!

LanWei.jpg
: I wasn't afraid of the fire guardian, how do you get the idea that I would be afraid of you?

Same fight although Ling Yan has more goons on his side this time around. Doesn't help much.

LingYanMad.jpg
: You defeated me for the second time. I don't want to fight any more. I'm not your enemy. I never was...

LanWei.jpg
: Now that you got a taste of my power, tell me: what is so interesting about the fire jade?

LingYanMad.jpg
: “Fire and ice, girl. Who do you think killed the ice guardian three years ago.” He lifts up one hand, to show the ice crystal from the ice guardian's head. The crystal is pulsating sinisterly.

LanWei.jpg
: You're lying to me.

LingYanMad.jpg
: I lived here for five years. Although you'll think of me as heartless and cruel, I never hurt any of the villagers, neither did I took anything from them.

LanWei.jpg
: They tell me something different!

LingYanMad.jpg
: The only reason why I came here was the Kun-Wu-Sword. The ice guardian was no problem for me, because it was summer, and I killed it when it was weak. But the fire guardian was much stronger than I anticipated.

LanWei.jpg
: You used me to kill the fire guardian. So you wouldn't have to do it yourself.

LingYanMad.jpg
: I didn't ask you to kill it for me. The people from the village of Heaven's Lake are really in trouble... I initially wanted to wait until winter to kill it. When I saw you however, I knew that you could do it. This ice crystal is worthless without the fire jade... I want you to have it.

LanWei.jpg
: What are the two for?

LingYanMad.jpg
: Only with them combined you'll be able to open the Sword Tomb and claim the Kun-Wu-Sword. Sadly, I don't know exactly how this is accomplished.

LanWei.jpg
: I see. I think, I'll have to go to the Sword-Tomb again.

It's backtracking time again to the place where we killed the fire guardian. Instead of getting teleported back to the entrance like last time however we are suddenly at a staircase.

10_TombEntrance.jpg

Descending...

11_Tomb.jpg

The tomb is secured by a mechanism which requires Lan Wei to insert the crystals in a specific order. Choose poorly and they are destroyed and the quest fails, do it right (left fire crystal, right ice crystal) and the tomb finally opens, revealing the famous sword of legends. It turns out to be another quest item and therefore a not-equipable. Since none of the NPCs nearby seem to be interested in it, I really start to wonder what all the fuzz was about.

I didn't know this at the time but you could say that we just found the plastic bottle, as a little Silent Hill comparison.

We reconcile with the bandit lord by reuniting him with his sister and are almost out of the place when we remember something mildly important.

Li San: My family has lived here for centuries, thanks to Heaven's Lake. Now it's dry and we lost the means to survive... My fishing spear will rust, and my nets lie unused in big bundles along the old coast line. I don't know what to do.

LanWeiSmug.jpg
What are you saying? Heaven's Lake isn't dried up any more! We solved the problem!

Li San: Why? Will it rain? The lake doesn't carry enough water even if it rains for three days and nights like recently.

LanWei.jpg
: You don't know? The reason for the water shortage was a fire beast that hid itself beneath the bottom of the lake. The emitting heat was the cause for the drought.

Li San: That's really not good. As long as this hellish beast doesn't stop, the lake will never return to normal.

LanWeiSmug.jpg
I killed the fire beast. The water will soon return, you can be sure of it.

Li San: Haha, that's a good one. Excuse me, I have to look at which leg I'm pulled here. Seriously, girl, why do you make such bad jokes?

LanWeiMad.jpg
: Just dare to mock me... but how do you call that? Isn't that a scale from the fire beast?

Li San: It is so hot that it must be magical, although I don't fully understand it. You're really strong, for someone so young. It is a miracle, the beast is dead, and Heaven's Lake will soon be filled again! I have to prepare my nets and my spear.

LanWei.jpg
: I returned your natural resources. What can you do for me?

Li San: I really want to thank you but I don't have any special gifts for you. How about if I catch you two Snow-Trouts, next time you come to this village?

LanWei.jpg
: I've got a better idea. I heard that you've got Tian-Hu-Grass, the one that grows under the lake... could you get me some? Then we would be even.

Li San: Consider it done. I even have some Tian-Hu-Grass that I wanted to sell for a little income. I will give it to you instead.

LanWeiSmug.jpg
I don't want to rob you... how about I'll pay you?

Li San: I will not hear anything of this! Like I said, it's a present for you. You helped me, so this time I help you. Take it!

LanWei.jpg
: <Thinks> Yan Hongs opinion about the Qin couldn't be more far off the truth. This guy proves it once more.

Lesson learned for today.

WeiShen.jpg
: You look happy. Could it be that you... you found the Tian-Hu-Grass?

LanWeiSmug.jpg
Yes. It wasn't as difficult as I thought. Take a look at it!

WeiShen.jpg
: “That's really Tian-Hu-Grass!” Wei Shen yells in excitement. “I don't know how to thank you! We owe you our lives.”

LanWeiSmug.jpg
Take good care of Wei Shen. We'll meet again one day.

We sure will but now, back to the main quest at last.

Skill Corner

Lan Wei
WateringForest.png
: Watered Forest (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Wood Talisman
Additional Effects: MP regeneration +2% for every 5 points of water
Notes: Wasn't too useful for me since I put almost zero points into water. People who love to play around with the high cost skills should be delighted though

ThreeSecrets.png
: The Three Secrets of the Magical Fire (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Fire Talisman
Additional Effects: +2 defence for every 5 points of earth
Notes: Lan Wei finally gets her 'turtle aura'. Nice mix between protection and increased attack speed

Liang Hu
RockHeaven.png
: Rockfall from the Sky (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Rock Throw, active Strength of the Earth and an earth weapon
Additional Effects: +2% to stun an opponent for every 5 points of earth
Notes: Worth to consider if you get swarmed or want to stun magic users. The negative side of Strength of the Earth still holds true here however

Yan Hong
Tigerfish.png
: Summon Tigerfish (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Summon Earth Demon, 30 points of water+wood
Additional Effects: Tigerfish can spit poison from afar
Notes: Never hit the requirements and, quiet frankly, I'm sick of all those blasted tigerfish

OldTree.png
: Old Bark (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Summon Green Terror, 30 points of water+wood
Additional Effects: Green Terror can now decrease an opponent's attack speed
Notes: Same as above without the tigerfish part

DivineLaw.png
: Divine Law (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Divine Favour, 30 points of water+earth
Additional Effects: Chance to cure negative status effects is significantly increased
Notes: Worth every single invested point. Nuff said

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Crooked Bee said:
Gosh, it's fetch quests upon fetch quests.

In the game defense there are some mild variations here and there (although I probably failed to write some of them down) and the few instances of intertwining quests like getting the grass for free after killing the fire guardian (usually you would have to buy it, maybe to a discount if you pressure the fisherman with his debts) is nice. Other than that I'm just glad that there is no quest that makes me collect ten rat tails or anything in that direction and the dialogue gives most of the quests at least some sense of individuality.

Yeesh said:
Black & White

Don't despair yet, there are still enough bad guys to whack without all the annoying moral ballast or ambiguity that might confuse upstanding citizens with strong values.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
To get to Jiuyua and the third Imperial Stone, we'll first have to return to Ji Chen's hut and climb over Cloudfield Mountain from there.

1_ChengYuKO.jpg

Of course, getting from point A to B isn't without complications as always.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Is that Cheng Yu? Cheng Yu! Cheng Yu!

ChengYu.jpg
: Cheng Yu lies in a coma and is still bleeding.

LiangHu.jpg
: He's wounded.

GaiNie.jpg
: We should take him with us back to Jinyang and save him.

YanHong.jpg
: He didn't keep his promise! Let him die here!

Seriously, dude, we're with you all the way but you really start to sound like a broken record.

GaiNie.jpg
: Don't be foolish. It is quiet obvious why he didn't keep his promise!

LanWei.jpg
: Gai Nie is right. Let's take Cheng Yu with us.

2_ChengYuHome.jpg

CaiXin.jpg
: What happened here? This place looks like it has been robbed.

GaiNie.jpg
: The world is a rough place these days. Everyone only wants to steal and be violent.

It's like with the law section of our library at university.

LanWei.jpg
: Cheng Yu is cold. Get the doctor.

One is teleported into the room.

GaiNie.jpg
: Is he going to recover, doctor?

Doctor: Don't worry, he is not mortally wounded. I've already treated his injuries. I'll come check on him tomorrow.

LanWei.jpg
: Tomorrow we will know what he wanted to tell us.

There is no harm in snooping around a little though, just in case. Many skill scrolls are scattered around, next to a manual for a new crafting technique (and my personal favourite) 'Luo-River' which allows one slot to support three others instead of just one and last but not least two bamboo scrolls. One of them in a rather bad condition.

LanWei.jpg
: Look. The words on the bamboo has been scratched out.

GaiNie.jpg
: And what did it say?

LanWei.jpg
: It's almost unreadable.

CaiXin.jpg
: Let me have a look...

BambooScroll.jpg

...Betrayed... humanity...the Yellow Emperor... five stones... Xing Tian... Mei...gods... died... demon guardians...

CaiXin.jpg
: I can't make out the rest.

LanWei.jpg
: Doesn't make much sense, huh?

GaiNie.jpg
: That Xing Tiang, who is mentioned here, could be the servant of Chi You.

YanHong.jpg
: I heard the story before.

I haven't but that's what Wikipedia is for. In short, Xing Tian is a giant who conspired against the Yellow Emperor but had to realize that he was way over his head before losing it. That didn't kill him however and now he is strolling around in a place no one knows.

LanWei.jpg
: Who did this, I wonder?

GaiNie.jpg
: More importantly: what was the point?

BigOldScroll.jpg

Classic literature tells the story of a war between the Yellow Emperor and Chi You, and how Chi You ordered his troops to engage the Yellow Emperor. The Yellow Emperor commanded Yinglong to defend the outskirts of Jizhou. With Yinglong came the forces of water into play. Chi You urged the wind god and the rain god to help him. The Yellow Emperor therefore collected all the scattered holy stones that were left by Nu Wa and begged the gods for their aid. The goddess Ba helped the Yellow Emperor to overcome Chi You and to imprison him.

Not much else to do here so we leave.

3_OldFriend.jpg

YinCheng.jpg
: Lan Wei, don't you know about the curfew? What are you doing out here at this late hour?

LanWei.jpg
: Ying Cheng? You too are in Jinyang? What's going on here? Why is there a curfew?

YinCheng.jpg
: I don't know. The soldiers make sure that no one leaves his home at night. You better return to the inn, so you don't get into trouble.

LanWei.jpg
: Understood. Come Yin Cheng, accompany us on our way.

YinCheng.jpg
: I have a good friend who lives in Jinyang. I was on my way to him, when I met you. Who was that man with you. He looked injured.

LanWei.jpg
: He's the historian I mentioned when we met in Yuci. He was wounded in battle but he'll recover.

YinCheng.jpg
: You should leave. I must reach my friend's house before it is too late.

LanWei.jpg
: Be careful.

Maybe the innkeeper will know something about the situation.

Man3.jpg
: Sir, there is a curfew. You shouldn't depart at night.

GaiNie.jpg
: Master innkeeper, what is going on? Why do we suddenly have a curfew?

Man3.jpg
: He looks around cautiously if someone is standing at the door and says quietly: “You really don't know what happened? Someone tried to assassinate the king.”

GaiNieShock1.jpg
: Someone tried to kill the king? Are you sure?

Man3.jpg
: Yes. I heard it was the hero Jing Ke. He hid is dagger within a holy map, which he presented to the king.

GaiNieShock1.jpg
: Did he succeed?

Man3.jpg
: Are you kidding? The palace of Xianyang is heavily guarded and the king himself is one of the greatest swordsman of the world... how could have even the devil be successful? I heard that Jing Ke took the hero Qing Wu Yang with him, who was supposed to distract the guards, while he murdered the king.

GaiNie.jpg
: Have Jing Ke and Qing Wu survived?

Man3.jpg
: They were cut to pieces.

GaiNie.jpg
: That bastard...

Man3.jpg
: Bastard? He's the king, how can you call him a bastard?

GaiNie.jpg
: Forget it.

Man3.jpg
: I heard that Jing Ke owed a favour to prince Yan and that this was the reason, why he tried to murder Ying Zheng. He apparently didn't really wanted to, so he delayed his travels to Qin.

GaiNie.jpg
: He waited for someone to join him, isn't that right?

Man3.jpg
: Do you know something that I don't? I wouldn't say anything when the soldiers could listen if I were you. They might think that you're hiding something and then they could arrest you.

GaiNie.jpg
: True. You're right.

Narrator: Later that night...

4_BarChat.jpg

GaiNie.jpg
: To Jing Ke, a true hero among men! I envy you, brother. When we should meet in the next life, then it will be a great honour to fight at your side.
Therefore... Jing Ke...

Time to get tender.

CaiXin.jpg
: Gai Nie, I think that you drank enough.

GaiNie.jpg
: Cai Xin, I feel miserable. My wife is dead. My son will never get to know this world. And Jing Ke, one of the greatest swordsmen that ever lived, is dead as well. I'm all alone. If I can't protect my family or my country, then what am I good for?

CaiXin.jpg
: Gai Nie, you're not alone. I... I...

GaiNie.jpg
: Cai Xin?

Time to waltz in and totally destroy the mood.

LanWei.jpg
: Stop to wallow in your self pity already. You've got us. How can you believe that you're alone?

GaiNie.jpg
: You two are good friends. Thank you.

CaiXin.jpg
: What plans do you have now? Surely you don't want to face the king alone, right? You wouldn't have a chance of success!

GaiNie.jpg
: I don't know.

LanWei.jpg
: Join us in our search for the Imperial Stones.

You don't even have to drink blood although it helps.

GaiNie.jpg
: Well, why not? That's as good as anything else I could do.

CaiXin.jpg
: Fantastic! With Gai Nie at our side, nothing can stop us!

GaiNie.jpg
: Very well – a new dawn is approaching. Go to sleep. Tomorrow we will pay Cheng Yu a visit.

LanWei.jpg
: Let's just hope that he'll be awake when we find him.

Meanwhile, Cheng Yu is having a terrible nightmare.

ChengYu.jpg
: … Imperial Stones... monsters... devils...

5_ChengYuSnake.jpg

ChengYu.jpg
: [A horrible scream of terror and agony is heard]

The heroes return to check on Cheng Yu.

ChengYu.jpg
: Cheng Yu is still lying in his bed.

LanWei.jpg
: Cheng Yu! Cheng Yu! Wake up, you lazy dog! The sun is shining! Get up!

ChengYu.jpg
: Cheng Yu is not responding.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Cheng Yu! Ah, Cheng Yu...? He isn't breathing... ah, damn!

GaiNieShock1.jpg
: What? Let me examine him...

ChengYu.jpg
: Cheng Yu's body is stiff and he isn't breathing.

GaiNie.jpg
: How could this happen? How could Cheng Yu die so suddenly? Wait... there's a cut... looks like an animal bite.

CaiXin.jpg
: Snakes! It's a snakebite!

LiangHu.jpg
: Snakes are not that numerous in larger cities. If the people don't kill them then the straying dogs and cats do. This is unusual.

YanHong.jpg
: I don't understand how he could die from one snakebite.

LanWeiSad1.jpg
: It looks like we'll never find out what he wanted to tell us.

GaiNie.jpg
: His secret dies with him, I guess.

The doctor teleports himself into the room again to confirm the situation.

Doctor: Thank the gods, that you're here! I discovered him this morning, dead! I was so shocked that I ran over to the inn to get you. He apparently died of a snakebite.

GaiNie.jpg
: Yes, it looks like it, judging by the bite mark on his leg.

Doctor: How strange. There are no native snake families around Jinyang. If it truly was a snake that bit him, then I wonder where it came from.

YanHong.jpg
: We have urgent business to attend to, but I don't want to leave his body like that...

Says the guy who wanted to leave the old man in the wilds while he was still alive and bleeding to death.

Doctor: If poisonous snakes are starting to appear, then it is my duty to report them to the circuit judge. Someone will come to examine the body. When that's done, you may leave.

We do so on a sour note. At least we were able to sell the extra crafting materials we amassed during all those sidequests and our (meaning not those embarrassingly ignorant protagonists) suspicion that not everything is like it should be was again reinforced.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Starting from Jinyang this time around, we'll still have to get across Cloudfield Mountain to reach Jiuyuan. Our journey leads through a small settlement called Xiangye.

1_Gathering.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Look. They are gathering people over there.

Qin-Soldier: Come on, you plebs! Move it!

Villager 1: We aren't going anywhere!

Villager 2: Hands off of us!

LanWei.jpg
: What's going on here?

GaiNie.jpg
: It appears as if the soldiers are recruiting those villagers for hard labour. That would be their death sentence. Lan Wei, we got to help them.

YanHong.jpg
: They aren't ashamed of enslaving their own people.

LanWei.jpg
: Get ready. This promises to get bloody.

Sure thing. Charge!

LanWei.jpg
: Yaaaaah!

Qin-General: Bandits! Capture them! Arrest them!

The fight is cut short as the stunning truth is revealed.

HuanFeng.jpg
: Who dares to interrupt the servants of Prince Fu Su?

This Qin-General actually has a face.

LanWeiMad.jpg
: You leave these people alone, I'm warning you!

Man5.jpg
: You misunderstood me. We are not being raided.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Oh. Well, why are they treating you so badly then and why do they want you to leave your village?

Man4.jpg
: Bandits have harassed us for quiet some time. Prince Fu Su and his troops just arrived at Jiuyuan, to raise an army which can protect us. When he was informed about what was going on here, he sent his soldiers to arrest the bandits. They are supposed to escort us to the city, so we can be better protected.

LanWeiOops.jpg
: ........

HuanFeng.jpg
: Those farmers insisted on staying so that they could fight along with my men. The prince ordered me to get everyone to safety, and that's exactly what I'm doing if they like it or not.

LanWeiOops.jpg
: Oh... I'm so sorry... I couldn't know...

HuanFeng.jpg
: Ha, don't worry. You acted in the best interest of those peasants. Judging by your clothes, you must come from Baiyue.

YanHong.jpg
: Yes, that's true. Will you arrest us?

HuanFeng.jpg
: No, not this time. Many people believe that you Baiyun are devil incarnate, but I, personally, believe this to be a lot of nonsense. The advisers of the king are spreading rumours and lies, to rally the people. If we would have had violent intentions, then your actions would have been completely justified [including the manslaughter you just committed]. It looks like you just couldn't see the full picture.

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: You're quiet open minded for someone from the Central Plains.

HuanFeng.jpg
: I've met many people from many countries. Not all of them are such primitive barbarians, like the inflammatory speeches of the government wants us to believe. Well, I must escort these people to Jiuyuan. My name is Huan Feng, by the way. Come visit me when you're in town.

CaiXin.jpg
: <Thinks> Huan Feng... Huan Qi... is there a connection?

Indeed, what are the odds. There still might be more to do here.

2_General.jpg

General of the Qin: Say, aren't you those crazy Baiyun that stormed into the village? You were lucky that General Huan came with his troops. If it would have been anyone else, then you would have been in quiet a mess.

LanWei.jpg
: General Huan is generous and kind. He's a great man.

General of the Qin: But he should stay to fight the bandits on Sunfire-Mountain, not us.

LanWei.jpg
: Who are those lowlifes?

General of the Qin: Their leader is called Wu Hai; he is a criminal with immense magical powers. Even worse, he's got a lot of loyal followers. Other than General Huan, there aren't many people who can fight against him and win.

LanWei.jpg
: How about you? Can't you fight him? What kind of general are you?

General of the Qin: I... I'm just a little official and this is the first time that I'm wearing an armour... I was promoted, so that I would hunt those bandits and kill them.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Unbelievable.

General of the Qin: I don't know what I should do now.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. Wait until General Huan returns, so he can help you.
→ 2. Allow us to go on Sunfire-Mountain. We will help you with your bandit problem.

General of the Qin: You? Do you really want to meet your end?

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: You're really underestimating me.

General of the Qin: Maybe.

LanWei.jpg
: Wait for our return. We will bring you good news.

Running up the hill, past all the peril in the way,

3_Bandits1.jpg

without rest, without delay,

4_Bandits2.jpg

until the evil boss is slain.

5_BanditsFinal.jpg

It actually takes a bit longer since Liang Hu and Gai Nie get stuck between bandits along the way so Lan Wei is mostly on her own. Dodging Hai's magical attacks while selectively taking out the wizards to set the rest of the horde into a panic does make this a fairly even match. A fitting finale for the last appearance of bandits in this story.

LanWei.jpg
: We killed the bandit leader. You can send out the army to take care of the rest.

General of the Qin: Splendid. I will get the troops on the move. Please stay for a moment, I want to have a word with you.

LanWei.jpg
: Yes?

General of the Qin: For someone with your skills, you should demonstrate more patriotism. If you join the Qin army, I promise you that wealth, fame and rank will be yours.

LanWei.jpg
: I don't think so. I have nothing in common with your people.

With a job well done, this mammoth of a chapter is finally behind us. Next stop: Jiuyuan.
Be prepared for the Hunocaust.

Skill Corner

Cai Xin
TigerSky.png
: Tiger reaches for the Sky (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Song of the Wind, 30 points of iron+fire
Additional Effects: The range of the attack is increased
Notes: Really, that's all that is to it

Gai Nie
BraveHeart.png
: Brave Heart (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Return to the Void, 60 points of water and a water based weapon
Additional Effects: Another increase of the attack skill +20% and a 50% chance to freeze up opponents
Notes: This sounds good on paper at least since the group endured quiet a lot of those attacks themselves. I'm not sure if it justifies the huge investment into water though

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Not even joking here but I worked at the place and the lawyers had the highest theft rate of them all. It got better once we got the electric security installed, that is until they figured out that they can just rip out the vital pages as well.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pussycat669 said:
Not even joking here but I worked at the place and the lawyers had the highest theft rate of them all. It got better once we got the electric security installed, that is until they figured out that they can just rip out the vital pages as well.

Well, I always knew that lawyers are evil. So no surprise here.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
(Really sorry for the update overkill but the exam phase will start in February and I would like to get as far as possible before that happens. So here is chapter 5 in it's uncensored entirety)

1_JiuyuanEntr.jpg

Jiuyuan, marvel of civilization, measured by the poverty and amount of beggars at least. This city is even bigger than Jinyang and divided into an east and a west section. We start off in the east where the local market and living quarters are located, so it's a good place to search for skill scrolls and get rid of surplus loot. The citizens are in great distress however.

Soldier.jpg
: He calls out to all passers-by: “Listen to me! The Huns are coming! Only the south gate remains open! If someone wants to leave then this is the only way!”

LanWei.jpg
: Did he say Huns? Gai Nie, weren't they the ones that killed your parents?

GaiNie.jpg
: The Huns are vicious savages. They slaughter everyone who even looks at them!

LiangHu.jpg
: We'll have to get past the north gate to reach my home town. But it's too late.

YanHong.jpg
: <Whispers> This is bad. Even if we get the third stone, there is no possibility to leave the city.

CaiXin.jpg
: <Whispers> We should look around. Maybe we can make ourselves useful.

LanWei.jpg
: <Whispers> We could also ask Huan Qi.

Maybe a visit to the nearby park will grant our heroes some aspiration.

2_FortuneTeller.jpg

Shen Suanzi: You want your future told? Then you've come to the right person. I know everything, what ever was and what ever will be. I know, what happened 500 years ago and also know what will happen 500 years from now. You can ask me any question you want. I demand 300 gold pieces for every question.

We give it another shot despite the hefty fee. At least we're allowed to ask actual questions this time around.

LanWei.jpg
: Will my mission be successful?

Shen Suanzi: Yes! But remember, this is just the beginning of a long journey, not the end.

LanWei.jpg
: The beginning? What do you mean?

Shen Suanzi: The future may not be spoken out. I would be punished, if I should reveal too much.

LiangHu.jpg
: Will we return safely to Baiyue?

Shen Suanzi: Yes. But the sacrifice of one is sometimes necessary, to serve the greater good. Can you accept this?

LiangHu.jpg
: Yes! Despite everything, Lan Wei's safety remains my only concern.

Shen Suanzi: As long as you're ready to accept this...

YanHong.jpg
: I don't have any specific questions. Make a random divination.

Shen Suanzi: Your fate is shrouded by your desire to kill. It is difficult to determine.

YanHong.jpg
: Even you are confused about my destiny! But you brag about being a great fortune teller. Are you trying to trick me?

Shen Suanzi: Wait a minute... I can't foretell your future. Here, take your gold. I'm not a cheating artist.

CaiXin.jpg
: Will I find my father?

Shen Suanzi: Maybe. Maybe not. But remember: The things we believe to be as far away as the sky will often be right next to us. Even if you never meet each other, you are the person on his mind.

CaiXin.jpg
: So, I'll never find him...

Shen Suanzi: Really, as long you remember the blood bond between you two, the day of your reunion will come, sooner or later.

GaiNie.jpg
: Would the king of Qin be able to conquer the world?

Shen Suanzi: Ying Zheng, the king of Qin, is the destined ruler and as predicted, he will conquer the world. However, even if he accomplishes that goal, he will not earn the respect of the people, nor of the Three Emperors and the Fife Monarchs, who reign in heaven.

GaiNie.jpg
: Conquer the world? Does that mean...

Shen Suanzi: Dead or alive, happy or poor. Everyone has his own destiny. It is worthless to ponder on the fate of another.

LanWei.jpg
: Your heart is even more black than the one of the fortune teller Qi, if you charge 300 gold pieces for one lousy prediction!

Shen Suanzi: Ah, I see that you've met my disciple, fortune teller Qi? He believes that his skills are unmatched. In truth he is less than capable. I'm his older colleague and my prediction are a lot more accurate than his. It is already a bargain, that I only demand a pitiful sum of 300 gold. I will keep your payment, as little compensation for this question.

LanWei.jpg
: What? You demand money from me?

Shen Suanzi: Quiet so, as well as for your last question. That would be 600 gold pieces.

LanWei.jpg
: Wait a minute. How can you charge me for that when your answer is incorrect?

Shen Suanzi: Ha ha! If that's true, I'll pay you 1000 gold pieces. You already owe me 900 for three questions, so make your winnings, if you're right.

LanWei.jpg
: I'll think of it...!
Look, you claim that the things I say are wrong, right? So everything you would have to say is if the answer is true or wrong.

Logical paradoxes, the weapon of a true lady.

Shen Suanzi: I give up. Here are your 100 gold pieces. Take them.

LanWei.jpg
: Ha ha.

Taking care of some unfinished business long overdue.

3_SadNews.jpg

The Wife of Wang Ren: Examining the bundle in Lan Wei's hand, the woman says: “That bundle...”

LanWei.jpg
: That is the money that your husband asked me to bring to you.

The Wife of Wang Ren: Is my husband well? How is his business faring?

LanWei.jpg
:
1. <Thinks> We can't tell her the truth. She couldn't bare it.
→ 2. <Thinks> She deserves the truth about what happened.

LanWei.jpg
: Wang Ren was so busy that he worked himself to death.

The Wife of Wang Ren: He... he... he's dead?

LanWei.jpg
: Before your husband died, he asked his brother Li Yi to give you this. Unfortunately, Li Yi was ambushed by bandits and so he gave his life to protect the bundle.

The Wife of Wang Ren: Tears are running down her cheeks. The pain is great.

LanWei.jpg
: I'm sorry that Wang Ren had to die.

The Wife of Wang Ren: Li Yi was our neighbour. His wife is now a widow as well. How horrible for us...

So while we're at it...

LanWei.jpg
: Are you Li Yi's wife?

The Wife of Li Yi: Yes, Li Yi is my husband. Did something happen?

LanWei.jpg
: Your husband was killed by bandits. I'm sorry.

The Wife of Li Yi: The woman is almost stunned by grief.

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. I see that you don't have much money. I will give you 2000 gold pieces. I hope that'll help you out a little.
2. I see that you don't have much money. I will give you 2000 gold pieces. I hope you will use it to start a new, better life.

No rpg is complete without some trivial dialogue choices. A rather anticlimactic conclusion for this long lasting delivery quest but at least we got some XP for making two women break out in tears and by mercilessly crushing their hopes and dreams.

Heading to the district office next. The correct one this time around.

4_OfficeEntr.jpg

The place is heavily guarded as well.

Soldier 1: General Huan Feng should be back by now but we haven't heard anything. Our lord is worried. He set out again to look for him.

Soldier 2: General Huan Qi is good to him, although Feng is only his adopted son.

Soldier 1: The Huns appeared out of nowhere. They caught us completely off guard. If only I could go home to see my newborn son, before they attack...

Soldier 2: Are you crazy? Don't even think about it! The only way out is with a permit from General Fu Su and General Huan Feng.

Soldier 2: Hey, you strollers there! What do you think you're doing?

GaiNie.jpg
: Uh... nothing, sir. I lost a pendant and asked these people to help me find it.

Paladin fails hard at bluffing, no surprises there.

Soldier 2: This city is under martial law. If I see you scum again on the streets, I will get you arrested on suspicion of espionage, understood? And now scram!

GaiNie.jpg
: Yes, sir. Of course, sir. I apologize, sir.

They retreat into the next side street.

GaiNie.jpg
: We should have stayed indoors. There is a lot of tension on the streets right now.

Was looking forward to some action outside the inn but it can't be helped apparently.

5_InnEntr.jpg

LiangHu.jpg
: This inn hasn't changed at all...

LanWeiShock.jpg
: You've been here before?

LiangHu.jpg
: About ten years ago.

YanHong.jpg
: That was the time when you left Poisontooth-Village, wasn't it?

6_LiangHuPast1.jpg

Passer-by: Make way, make way! Quickly, make way!

Female Passer-by: Ah! What in the eighteen hells is that?

Male Passer-by: Looks like an animal man. I heard that they are a nasty bunch. They even eat people.

Female Passer-by: Don't get too close to it, you might catch something!

7_LiangHuPast2.jpg

Trouble heading into little Liang Hu's direction.

Ruffian A: Watch where you are going, kid.

Ruffian B: Teach him a lesson, brother! Give him a good beating!

The screen goes black. Some faint fighting noise is heard.

Ruffian B: Yeah, no mercy!

Ruffian A: Bah. He ain't worth it. Hey, boy, for the next time, go at the side of the road not on the middle of it. You don't want to get killed, now do you?

8_LiangHuPast3.jpg

Old Man: What are those wounds! Come inside, boy, let me treat you with some medicine.

9_LiangHuPast4.jpg

Old Man: Here you go. You'll feel better in a few days.
You want to hear my advice, boy? Leave the Central Plains. The people here aren't too friendly to your kind.

The brown fades away.

LiangHu.jpg
: I walked for many years before I finally reached Skyrose Village.

CaiXin.jpg
: What happened to the old man?

LiangHu.jpg
: He treated my wounds and left without telling me his name.

YanHong.jpg
: I find it hard to believe that there are really kind hearted people in the Central Plains.

GaiNie.jpg
: Don't be so pessimistic. There will always be spite in the world. Luckily you can also always count on the righteous people.

CaiXin.jpg
: Gai Nie is right. Yan Hong is rather narrow minded, like always. If it weren't for the people of the Central Plains then Liang Hu would be already dead.

YanHongMad.jpg

I feel your pain, brother but let's try to focus on the target.

YanHong.jpg
: I have an idea.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Oh? And what exactly?

YanHong.jpg
: Did you hear what those two guards said? I'll sneak into the house of the commander and look for the Imperial Stone. I will also steal a gate pass, while I'm there. Without the pass, we won't be able to leave Jiuyuan.

GaiNie.jpg
: I don't know if that's such a good idea. And what if the Huns spot us and storm the gate while it's open? They will slaughter the people of Jiuyuan. No, I'm too concerned, we can't take such a risk.

CaiXin.jpg
: Yes, true. The Huns are barbarians. We will have to think of another plan.

LanWei.jpg
: Cai Xin and Gai Nie are right. How about you, Liang Hu? What's your opinion?

LiangHu.jpg
: It's a stupid plan and I won't have any part in it.

YanHongMad.jpg
: Fine! Forget it. I go to bed.

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong!

After a bit of further discussion, the party decides to go the diplomatic route.

LanWei.jpg
: I want to visit Huan Feng tomorrow and ask for his help. Hopefully he'll let us see Huan Qi. He should know what happened to the Imperial Stone, after it was stolen from Giants Keep. We will also ask him if he can get us out of this city.

GaiNie.jpg
: We better hope that he will help us.

Liang Hu and Cai Xin storm into the room.

LiangHu.jpg
: Yan Hong is gone!

LanWei.jpg
: Where did he go?

CaiXin.jpg
: I think that he could have went to the official's estate all by himself! I wanted to ask him what he was doing but he didn't want to say.

LanWei.jpg
: Damn. If he gets into trouble I'll...

GaiNie.jpg
: I'll find him, don't worry!

We chase after the renegade cleric and into a stealth section.

11_NightPatrol.jpg

The patrols that are running around here are about ten times as strong as normal (and this is really as intimidating as it sounds). They won't turn hostile however as long as Lan Wei isn't forced into a dialogue with the leading general, like in this case.

Qin General: Hold it right there! There is a curfew. What on earth are you doing out here? Except, of course, your spies for the Huns! Don't move a muscle!

LanWei.jpg
: Ah.

*Bang* *Biff* *Boom*

GameOver.jpg

[Kidding of course. I totally dominate those goons but I need to put the game over screen somewhere]

Not pretty, so we avoid the patrols via the dark alleys of the city until we reach the district office.

12_CourtDrama1.jpg

YanHong.jpg
: Lan Wei? Get out of here! Run as fast as you can!

LanWei.jpg
: No, I'm staying with you!

Qin General: Arrest them!

The Party gets quickly surrounded.

Qin General: Hahaha...! There is no way for you to escape now!

FuSu.jpg
: Stop!

13_CourtDrama2.jpg

And then He appeared.

Qin General: General, we have those spies cornered. We're awaiting your commands.

FuSu.jpg
: By the looks of your clothes, I would say that you're a Baiyun, are you not?

YanHong.jpg
: Yes. So what?

FuSu.jpg
: Enter my house. We shall talk.

He goes back inside.

YanHong.jpg
: Be careful Lan Wei.

LanWei.jpg
: Don't worry. I can take care of myself.

Lan Wei and friends enter the estate.

FuSu.jpg
: I don't understand why you broke into the house of the general.

YanHong.jpg
: He had nothing to do with you. I only wanted to create a distraction, so that I could talk with you directly. I need a permit to leave the city.

FuSu.jpg
: Leaving the city! Utterly unthinkable! If we open the gates then the Huns will enter. Do you want to bring death to every home in this city?

YanHong.jpg

FuSu.jpg
: You have no idea what a terrible thing it would be for everyone in this area, if Jiuyuan should fall. How could I look into my father's face or those of the citizens? Do you want to lend a hand in a mass murder? Does this thought not make you feel guilt and shame?

GaiNie.jpg
: Forgive us, but we didn't have much of a choice, milord. We have an important task to fulfil, and leaving Jiuyuan that way isn't easy for us. In fact my companions don't seem to like the plan at all, it seems.

FuSu.jpg
: The Huns surprised us this time. We weren't prepared for an attack. Are you from Baiyue, too? Your clothes are saying as much. I know that our two countries had their difficulties in the past, caused by those scoundrels who whispered lies into my father's ear. The people of Jiuyuan aren't malevolent, they're innocent victims of all the political confusion. I hope you can understand, why I can't allow you to leave.

YanHongMad.jpg
: The Qin troops have killed so many Baiyun during the years – and you think, that I would believe that it is all because of some corrupt officials? My parents died by a blade from Qin, because your father is a naïve fool? That's what you're saying?

FuSu.jpg
: I won't deny that such terrible things have happened... the general, who was responsible for those atrocities, was punished accordingly. Although your hate for my kingdom is understandable, I can't allow you to condemn the people of Jiuyuan to the same fate that your people have suffered. Two times of injustice can not equal justice.

YanHong.jpg

FuSu.jpg
: My friend, you are free to hate the Qin government, of course. But you must understand, that not all people here are like this because of it. We are, like you Baiyun, individuals first and foremost. We don't wholeheartedly agree with the politics of our government. You must consider that.

YanHong.jpg

FuSu.jpg
: I have tried many times to convince my father not to attack Baiyue, and concentrate on the unification of the Central Plains. Unfortunately, corrupt advisers have confused him. He is so angered about my audacity, that he has banished me here to Jiuyuan, to oversee the garrison. Maybe that's my fate. For the moment however, I am the last hope of the city to fight the threat from the Huns.

YanHong.jpg

FuSu.jpg
: The only way you can leave this city is by killing me first.

YanHong.jpg
: I understand what you're trying to tell me. Very well, I will wait until the Huns are defeated.

FuSu.jpg
: Thank you. Now, if you would excuse me....

LanWei.jpg
: One moment, milord. We are looking for a general called Huan Qi. Do you know if he's in town?

FuSu.jpg
: Yes, there is a General Huan. He is occupied with military actions outside the city and will return tomorrow. Why?

GaiNie.jpg
: Ah, nothing. We were asked to deliver something to him.

FuSu.jpg
: I understand. Then come back tomorrow. He will be back until then.

Here goes a point to diplomacy (and one bonus point to bluffing)

14_NightAftermath1.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Why did you go to the estate, Yan Hong?

YanHong.jpg
: I...I...

LanWei.jpg
: Do you want to endanger the people of Jiuyuan?

YanHong.jpg
: No, of course not...

CaiXin.jpg
: Lan Wei, he cares about them too.

LanWei.jpg
: If he does, then he should stop taking such risks! He is of no use to us or the city when he's dead!

YanHong.jpg
: Lan Wei...

LanWei.jpg
: What? If they kill you, how could I live on in peace?

YanHong.jpg
: So, who is selfish now, Lan Wei?

GaiNie.jpg
: Lan Wei, calm down. We will have an audience with Huan Qi tomorrow. Let's go to bed.

LanWei.jpg
: I have to speak with Yan Hong first. Privately. I'm sure that you understand.

Ok, the audience is gone. Time to talk business here.

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong... Look, I know that you want to find the stone and leave as quickly as possible, but if you were captured or even just seen, our mission would fail! They would bring the stone to a safe place.

YanHong.jpg
: You should have more faith in me.

LanWei.jpg
: I do. You are my best friend, and I know you better than anyone else. I really believe in you, but sometimes you're so... so...

YanHong.jpg
: So what?

LanWei.jpg
: Reckless. Like back in Redclay Village when you were wounded because you tried to protect me.

YanHong.jpg
: You said that you couldn't live on if something happened to me. I feel the same for you. That's why I do what I'm doing. You know that.

LanWei.jpg
: I know. Here, take this.

YanHong.jpg
: What's that?

LanWei.jpg
: It's a bracelet that I kept for you. As long as you carry it, the gods will protect you, and I will have to worry less about your safety. [The original translation actually states that it is a magical amulet that she crafted for him. Since they turn it back into a bracelet later on and considering what was said way back in chapter 1, I allowed myself to take some liberties here]

YanHong.jpg
: And what will you wear so I have to worry less?

LanWei.jpg
: Haha, you dumb bonehead. Everyone knows that I'm the better fighter of the two of us. Have some faith in me too.

Narrator: Meanwhile...

15_NightAftermath2.jpg

GaiNie.jpg
: All right. If you don't go to bed then neither will I. What's troubling you, Cai Xin?

CaiXin.jpg
: I'm afraid, Gai Nie.

GaiNie.jpg
: Of what?

CaiXin.jpg
: What if the man we'll meet tomorrow will really turn out to be my father?

GaiNie.jpg
: Yes? What then?

CaiXin.jpg
: I don't think that he'll be too happy to see me. I mean, if he did abandon my mother, then I'll be the last person he wants to meet.

GaiNie.jpg
: In that case you've got nothing to fear. Then he wouldn't be the kind of man you want as your father.

CaiXin.jpg
: I always imagined him to be a good person when I was little. But if that should turn out to be untrue...

GaiNie.jpg
: He married your mother, right? Then he can't be completely bad. I'm sure he had his reasons to return to his people.

CaiXin.jpg
: I don't understand why he never came back to visit us.

GaiNie.jpg
: You don't know for certain that he didn't try. Maybe something, or someone, prevented him.

CaiXin.jpg
: Yes, you're right. He probably tried. If not, or if he's really a bad man... I don't know what to do.

Will the family reunion bring this sub-plot the deserved happy ending or is it yet all going to end in tears? We'll soon find out.

Skill Corner

Cai Xin
Firestrike.png
: Firestrike (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Fire Rider at the Sky, 60 points of iron
Additional Effects: Opponent suffers extra damage when hit from behind
Notes: What can be more humiliating than being coup de graced with a kick to the butt (by a chick nonetheless)

Pussycat669

Liturgist
The moment of truth is at hand.

1_Reunion.jpg

HuanQi.jpg
: Yes? What do you bring me?

LanWei.jpg
: It... It's nothing. We... uh... used an excuse so that we might talk with you. There is something we want to ask you, general.

HuanQi.jpg
: You bring nothing? Nothing...? That's not good, that's unacceptable...

LanWei.jpg
: General Huan? General Huan! What are you staring at?

HuanQi.jpg
: Nothing... this girl... she looks like someone I knew...

CaiXin.jpg
: Someone called “Cai Lian”, perhaps?

HuanQi.jpg
: How... you know her?

CaiXin.jpg
: She's my mother!

HuanQi.jpg
: What? You...you...you...you are...

CaiXin.jpg
: Cai Xin. Your daughter.

HuanQi.jpg
: Cai Xin? My daughter? My daughter! You're still alive? Am I dreaming? Twenty years have passed – I would have never thought that I would see my daughter with my own eyes! Oh, Cai Xin! It's really you?
Good heavens, how is this possible? You look just like your mother when she was your age.

She stumbles a few steps back.

CaiXin.jpg
: Why have you abandoned us, father?

HuanQi.jpg
: I didn't have a choice, Cai Xin. We would have all died otherwise...

Narrator: Twenty-two years earlier...

2_ReunionPast.jpg

Huan Qi: What are you doing?!

Elder Villager: Baiyun and the Central Plains are at war and Cai Lian has married without our permission. This goes against a one thousand years old tradition! She must die!

Huan Qi: How dare you!

Elder Villager: If you leave our lands right now, Huan Qi, we will forgive Cai Lian her misjudgement. If you stay, you can watch her die right in front of your eyes.

Villager: Huan Qi, don't be foolish! Do you want that your wife and your unborn child die?

Huan Qi: Cai Lian...

Cai Lian: Go, my love. Hopefully we'll meet again one day.

Huan Qi: Cai Lian...

HuanQi.jpg
: It is the reason why I had to leave your mother. I returned a couple of times in secret. But the villagers were watching her and I couldn't get any closer.

CaiXin.jpg
: Father...

HuanQi.jpg
: The last day I visited the village was the one of your birth. I eavesdropped a few villagers who were saying that your mother died during labour. They also said that you weren't breathing. I was so heartbroken that I left and joined the army. It was my fiendish blood that made me run away in grief.

CaiXinSad.jpg
: Everyone thought that I was stillborn. It was aunt Ju who discovered that I was still breathing while they were already preparing my funeral. She took me to her home and raised me like I was one of her own daughters.

HuanQi.jpg
: Hong Ju? She was the only one who ever treated me and your mother kindly. She was also the only one who ever stood up for us. How is she doing?

CaiXinSad.jpg
: She died.

HuanQi.jpg
: I'm very sorry to hear that. Cai Xin, why have you come?

CaiXin.jpg
: Me and my friends are searching for a holy stones, that was stolen from Giants Keep. Your soldiers took it... did you ordered them to?

HuanQi.jpg
: Oh... that I did. The king wanted me to retrieve it.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Ying Zheng? How could he know about the stones?

HuanQi.jpg
: It was a rumour. A fortune-teller called Xu Fu told the king, that the Imperial Stones could bring the dead back to life. The king feared, that his enemies could collect the stones and raise an army of the undead. If this would happen, the Qin state would collapse like an house of cards. So he sent his soldiers to retrieve them. I also think that he's afraid to die. He hopes that the stones can revive him if that should happen.

CaiXinMad.jpg
: But why did your men kill the villagers of Giants Keep? It was completely unnecessary. Was it revenge for how they treated you and mother? They were no bad people, they are only ignorant towards strangers.

HuanQi.jpg
: I've never ordered my men to kill the villagers. I even told them repeatedly, that they should get the stone without shedding blood. But apparently the commander of the soldiers ignored my order and let the villagers get slaughtered. He will receive punishment, I promise you... he and his men shall die on this very day for their crimes, and for disobeying the orders of their general.

CaiXinSad.jpg
: I believe you. I always knew, that you're an honourable man. I... I have to ask you something. Where is the stone now?

HuanQi.jpg
: It was supposed to be sent to Xianyang. The king's search for the stones is a secret. Even the prince is not aware of it. Please speak with no one else about it.

CaiXin.jpg
: Father, my friends and I are looking for the Imperial Stones.

HuanQi.jpg
: Why?

LanWei.jpg
: <Tell him what happened until this point.>

HuanQi.jpg
: This is not an easy decision. Let me think about it...

LanWeiSmug.jpg

HuanQi.jpg
: I was sorry to leave you for so long... I... will try to make up for it... Take the stone. I insist.

CaiXin.jpg
: But father, if you don't give the stone to Ying Zheng...

HuanQi.jpg
: After all these years, this stone is the only thing I can offer you. I don't know what else I can do for the time I wasn't there for you and your mother. Don't worry about me and the king. If it has to be, I will simply abandon my post and hide in some far away village.

CaiXin.jpg
: Thanks.

LanWei.jpg
: We are deeply in your debt, General. But there is another thing we must ask of you. Can you help us to get out of Jiuyuan?

HuanQi.jpg
: That's not easy. The only way is through the gates and to get through, you'll need a permit from me and Fu Su as well. The city is under martial law however, since the Huns are waiting to attack us. The gates may not be opened under any circumstances.

A soldier interrupts the conversation.

Soldier: General, Huan Feng and some citizens were just captured by the Huns. They are outside the city gates. General Fu Su is already waiting for you.

HuanQi.jpg
: I will be there shortly. Cai Xin, stay here with your friends and await my return.

Like hell they will.

CaiXin.jpg
: Lan Wei, I think we should go and take a look at this.

LanWei.jpg
: I always wondered if the Huns are really as wild as the people claim... all right, let's go.

3_HunsArrive.jpg

Hun-Soldier: Listen! You have time until tomorrow to surrender. Otherwise we will kill these prisoners!

HuanQi.jpg
: You make a terrible mistake!

Hun-Soldier: General Yehe Yu has also promised to spare the innocent people of this city and let them leave. If you surrender your weapons and throw yourself in the dust in front of his feet.

HuanFeng.jpg
: Don't listen to him! It's a trap!

Citizen: The Huns are liars, your highness! The welfare of the city is more important than us! Make us proud! Fight until the death!

Commoner: Never give up! Never surrender!

Hun-Soldier: Silence!

One of the unimportant people is executed.

Hun-General: Tomorrow morning, General. You have time until then.

FuSu.jpg
: What to do about Huan Feng and these people, General? I don't want to see them die.

HuanQi.jpg
: We may not rush things, highness.

FuSu.jpg
: We'll meet in my quarters to discuss this.

HuanQi.jpg
: Yes, milord.
Lieutenant! If there are any news, send a messenger to the commander's quarters . The slightest delay may cost us our victory.

GaiNie.jpg
: It will be difficult to get out of the city.

LanWei.jpg
: Huan Feng rather wants to die than to surrender. He's a brave man!

YanHong.jpg
: Well, he is heroic enough and decent, for those who like this kind of person...

GaiNie.jpg
: If I would be in Fu Su's position, I would assassinate Yehe Yu, the Hun-General. That would destroy the troop's morale and the siege would most likely end. Sadly, it seems more likely that we're going to die with all the other people here.

CaiXinPonders.jpg
: Gai Nie, are you suggesting what I'm thinking?

GaiNie.jpg
: Yes. We must kill Yehe Yu. Fu Su is not likely to agree however.

4_Office.jpg

FuSu.jpg
: After long considerations I've come to a decision. We will send an assassin to the general of the Huns. A snake can't survive without its head. The Hun-army too will be helpless when we remove Yehe Yu from the game. We have the chance that the army will scatter and that the Huns will flee, once the word goes around. But who should we send for this dangerous task?

HuanQi.jpg
: A good question. We can't afford to spare even one of our generals. So I believe that it should be me.

FuSu.jpg
: Out of question. I need you here to coordinate the defence. No, I'll go together with a cadre of my warriors.

HuanQi.jpg
: With all due respect, your highness, I will not allow that to happen. You are the heir! If you should die then you can kill us all just as well right here and now.

A difficult problem is screaming for a convenient solution here.

LanWei.jpg
: Yes, let us handle it.

HuanQi.jpg
: Lan Wei?

FuSu.jpg
: You?

GaiNie.jpg
: I owe the Huns my vengeance. It will be my pleasure to do it.

FuSu.jpg
: Yehe Yu is the best Hun-warrior that ever was. It won't be easy to kill him.

GaiNie.jpg
: There was no greater swordsman than General Li Mu, my master. Even if I'm just half as good as he was, the Hun dog will be no problem.

HuanQi.jpg
: Wait! You are this Gai Nie? The Zhao-swordsman?

FuSu.jpg
: Hahaha! This is too beautiful to be true. My father has tried to arrest you for years and you've been right in front of my nose the entire time! Hahaha!

GaiNie.jpg
: Highness, I respect and like you. But if you try to put me in irons...

FuSu.jpg
: No, no, it's not like that! I admire men like you. You're a true hero. My father can't see this, he's blind. But me... I always looked forward meeting you, Gai Nie. This is good! Yehe Yu will get the fight of a lifetime! Hahaha!

CaiXin.jpg
: Gai Nie, you can't go all by yourself. I'll come with you.

GaiNie.jpg
: Lan Wei, you stay here and protect the city. I'll go with Cai Xin.

Narrator: Later that night...

LanWei.jpg
: That's too dangerous for Cai Xin and you, Gai Nie. I'll come with you.

GaiNie.jpg
: Don't worry. It will all be well. After all, it can't be more dangerous than staying in the city.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. No. I go with you. There are soldiers here to help after all.
2. Very well. You're right. I should stay behind in the city with Yan Hong and Liang Hu.

One of the very rare occasions of an actual branching questline. Staying with the town defence will pit Lan Wei against several attack waves of respawning Huns that she'll need to survive for five minutes. It goes as well as you might expect.

x_Siege.jpg

(Notice the poor Hun who demonstrates the special burning to ashes death animation. Very retro)

But this is rather dull grunt work so we chose the more subtle approach by storming the Hun encampment.

5_HunsEntr.jpg

Huns, like bandits, trump more with their number advantage than anything. Nothing a spontaneous meteor shower can't fix.

6_HunsFry1.jpg

7_HunsFry2.jpg

Some more sightseeing and signs of heathen religion.

8_HunsAltar.jpg

Yehe Yu himself is not hard to find considering that there is that huge commander tent in the centre of the camp.

9_HunsLeader.jpg

Yehe Yu: Hahaha, excellent! Really splendid! Thanks to your help, my troops were able to travel swiftly into the Central Plains. Name your price, Zhao Gao!

Zhao Gao: You're too generous, general. All I ask for is Ying Zheng's head.

Yehe Yu: Excellent! I promise you that you'll have it. Would you explain to me why you want it?

Zhao Gao: Many years ago the throne of Zhao was within my reach. Qin-troop stormed the capital of Han Dan before I could claim it. I was barely able to escape. Ying Zheng took what was rightfully mine.

Yehe Yu: Hahaha, revenge! Excellent, really excellent! As soon as I've destroyed the Qin and the Central Plains are ours, I will ask our Khan to give you the state of Qin and Zhao as a gift, agreed?

LanWei.jpg
: What's this? A band of dreaming fools?

Yehe Yu: Who dares...?

GaiNie.jpg
: I do. Withdraw your troops, General. Jiuyuan will not fall so easily!

Zhao Gao: You can't guard every way into Jiuyuan, paladin. I know paths that you'll never find early enough. When I lead those troops, you won't stand a chance.

LanWei.jpg
: You're a disgrace for your people.

Yehe Yu: Enough stupid speeches! Guards! Arrest them!

The old man himself throws some lethal cones of ice our way while his small escort of Hun warriors make a coordinated attack rather difficult. Cai Xin's focus on fire really leaves her off with a disadvantage here since Yehe Yu water based attacks can kill her with only a few blows. We split up the party to compensate. Cai Xin takes care of the rather weak henchmen, Lan Wei and Gai Nie absorb the damage from Yehe Yu while beating him savagely.

Hun-Soldier: Retreat! General Yehe has fallen. We are being overrun!

Thus we almost single-handedly repelled an entire Hun invasion, saving thousands of lives. That should be enough heroics for the day and definitely enough to get us out of the city.

10_Farewells.jpg

FuSu.jpg
: My friends, I'm in your debt. Thanks to you Jiuyuan has been saved – the Huns have fled.

GaiNie.jpg
: Indeed. Yehe Yu was an impressive warrior.

LanWei.jpg
: Now that Jiuyuan is safe and in good hands, we should better be on our way.

GaiNie.jpg
: Highness, can we talk for a moment?

FuSu.jpg
: Of course! Anytime, for the saviour of our city!

GaiNie.jpg
: I know that it is none of my concerns but... I beg you to think of the happiness of the people. Don't fill your belly while they starve.

FuSu.jpg
: Wise words from a great warrior, that I will not deny. Thank you.

LanWei.jpg
: Highness, you can count on the friendship of Baiyue when you become king.

FuSu.jpg
: I hope this day will not come for a long time. Until then I will give my best to show my father the errors of his way. You have my word.

YanHong.jpg
: Then let's hope that you're just as good as your word.

CaiXin.jpg
: I must now depart, father. Take care of yourself. Huan Feng, promise me that you'll keep him out of trouble.

HuanFeng.jpg
: I will.

HuanQi.jpg
: Here, Cai Xin, the Imperial Stone.

CaiXin.jpg
: I will return when we collected them all, promise. We still have a lot ahead of us.

HuanQi.jpg
: Farewell! And if you shouldn't find me in Jiuyuan then go to Giants Keep.

CaiXin.jpg
: Farewell!

LanWei.jpg
: All right, let's leave.

But not everyone is happy with the outcome of this story.

11_LastWords.jpg

Zhao Gao: To hell with those stupid Huns! Despite their bravado, they were not better than an army of stick figures! Curse Fu Su and Huan Qi for their interference! They shall pay for this setback!

I didn't quiet get this little interlude at first, seeing that Gao won't make any further appearances. A little research revealed however that the man was actually for real and that he serves as the main antagonist for Prince of Qin of which Seal of Evil is sort of a prequel.

A soldier on the street is offering a bounty for Han Xing's head, the thief who managed to escape us twice already. Our work is not done yet. To find Xing, we use some metagaming knowledge and return to the inn. We use even more of said forbidden knowledge by dropping all our gold before the following can happen.

12_Robbery.jpg

OldMan.jpg
: Dear Lady, I have a valuable jade with me. Do you want to see it?

LanWei.jpg
: Very well, now I've seen it. How much do you want for it?

OldMan.jpg
: There is a spark of greatness in you. You will reach amazing goals in the future. I'll give you the jade for free.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. I didn't do anything to deserve it. I can't accept the jade.
→ 2. Thanks, this is a great treasure.

We are quick to realize that someone stole our empty pouch while we made the deal (and if you didn't empty your pockets then it's time to say bye bye to the thousands over thousands of coins because you'll never see them again) but we're not the only victims.

Man4.jpg
: My jewels, my jewels! All my jewels are gone!

LanWei.jpg
: Tell us what happened. Maybe we can help you to get them back.

Man4.jpg
: I went out to get something to eat. When I came back, I found that my chest was forced open and the jewels were gone.

LanWei.jpg
: It must have been Han Xing.

Man4.jpg
: The bandit Han Xing? Oh, what a misfortune! I curse the day that he was born!

LanWei.jpg
: You know of him?

Man4.jpg
: He's common talk nowadays. Since he turned up, every precious belonging has been lost. The bounty hunters of the government are searching through the city. The problem is that no one knows what he looks like. Oh, this is grim. I will never get my jewels back!

LanWei.jpg
:
1. I see. Well, good luck in the future.
→ 2. I will do what I can to find Han Xing and return your jewels to you.

Man4.jpg
: Really? If you can make it then I will give you a big reward.

CaiXin.jpg
: I've got this vague feeling that Han Xing was watching us since we arrived in Jiuyuan.

LanWei.jpg
: I'm not afraid of him. I will show him what I can do!

It will require some planning to capture the thief.

Man3.jpg
: You want a room? I have some. If you need anything then you just have to ask me.

LanWei.jpg
: <Thinks> I've got an idea...

LanWei.jpg
: Master innkeeper, I heard that Han Xing is well liked around here recently. Please be especially careful with my belongings, yes? I presume that you will keep it at a safe place!

She hands him an empty bundle.

Man3.jpg
: Worry not. No one will put a finger on your things.

LanWei.jpg
: Good.

Man3.jpg
: You will be able to put your mind at ease when you leave your belongings in my care. I bet on it.

LanWei.jpg
: Then I'll leave the bundle with you.

A few moments later...

Man3.jpg
: You need anything else?

LanWei.jpg
: Master innkeeper, I want to get the bundle that I left with you.

Man3.jpg
: What? Didn't you just picked it up? Just a moment ago, I mean?

LanWei.jpg
: No, I just came in.

Man3.jpg
: You can't make a fool out of me! We all saw you coming in and take the bundle. Why should I lie in such a matter?

LanWei.jpg
: <Thinks> He has the ability to change his appearance? This Han Xing is good. He is really good. I must catch him.

Lucky for us that he didn't went that far. Just up the stairs actually.

13_HanXingReveal.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Han Xing you've given yourself away.

OldMan.jpg
: What? What are you saying, lady?

LanWei.jpg
: I say that you're Han Xing, the infamous criminal.

OldMan.jpg
: Milady, I'm an honest trader who is just passing through Jiuyuan. Why do you believe me a criminal?

LanWei.jpg
: You were the only one who heard my words when I was giving away my bundle. You knew that it was valuable, so you acted.

OldMan.jpg
: How can you say that! You have no proof.

LanWei.jpg
: Look at the bundle yourself. There is nothing in it, besides a blanket. That was the bait for you.

OldMan.jpg
: A damn trap!

LanWei.jpg
: Are you now convinced? I already told you that I would prove my power.

OldMan.jpg
: Ha ha ha ha...

LanWei.jpg
: What are you doing?

OldMan.jpg
: No one can catch me, I'm a master of disguises and seasoned escape artist.

LanWei.jpg
: How?

Suddenly a bright flash appears in front of Han Xing. When it fades, he is gone.

Our metagaming senses comes into play again and we talk to an apparently random woman on the street at an apparently random house.

Woman.jpg
: The people who live here are called 'Han'. They have many children. Since they're often out, they hire a nanny. It's a very exhausting task. All I have to do is washing clothes and cooking. The payment is also good.

LanWei.jpg
: Their name is 'Han'?

That's enough proof to heedlessly storm the place.

14_HanXingFound.jpg

HanXing.jpg
: You? How did you find my home?

LanWei.jpg
: You're a lowlife, Han Xing. Prepare to die!

HanXing.jpg
: Han Xing is getting pale. He says: “I never asked anyone for the smallest things as far as I can remember. But today I ask you... no, beg you, to spare my life!”

LanWei.jpg
:
1. <Thinks> 5.000 gold pieces are a lot! How could I spare his life?
→ 2. Tell me the truth and maybe I'll have mercy on you.

Han Xing uses his most devastating attack: the Kid's Tear Bambi Slasher

15_HanXingKids.jpg

HanXing.jpg
: You want to know the truth? You couldn't handle it! Look at these poor children. Their parents died during the war. If it wasn't for me then they would have starved on the streets. You call me a lowlife but I'm not the one whose greed for power and wealth made those children orphans!

LanWei.jpg
: Grrr...

Kid2.jpg
: Lady, please don't kill uncle Han Xing!

LanWei.jpg
: Uncle Han Xing? You really know him?

Kid2.jpg
: Uncle Han Xing always looked after us. Without him we would have probably already starved to death.

LanWei.jpg
: I understand.

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. No, I can't kill you.
2. Kill him and claim the reward.

This is actually the sucker option since killing and decapitating (yeah, that too) Han Xing in front of his protégées will get us a considerable amount of gold. Guess all the drama and babble about tolerance is starting to make me soft. Just don't forget to report back to the soldier even if you spare Han Xing's life since you'll otherwise fail the quest and not even get skill upgrades for the whole endeavour. Two more quests to go from there. One about some stolen pottery and another about escorting a friend of an old man to him before he dies (another time limit thing) which scores Lan Wei a nice ring of regeneration. We're now ready to leave civilization behind and go to the wild place that is chapter 6.

Skill Corner

Lan Wei
DragonFire.png
: Dragonflame (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Fire Dragon
Additional Effects: +1% chance to set enemies on fire for every 10 points of fire
Notes: Sweet since additional fire damage is the most severe from my experience. Otherwise there isn't much to talk about

DemonCurse.png
: Demon Trap (Offensive)
Effect: Weakens the defence of opponents in a certain radius by 30
Notes: Same thing that Lin Fei used against us at Giants Keep. I always have that one on standby. Roughly as useful as Yan Hong's protection spell
Upgrade: Defence decrease +10 per skill upgrade, +2 with every 5 points of water

Liang Hu
BurningClaw.png
: Burning Claw (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Tiger's Claw, 60 points of fire and a fire based weapon
Additional Effects: +10% on attack skill, 10% chance to set enemies on fire
Notes: Same argument as with Dragonflame and since this attack has a little further reach probably also advisable

Berserker.png
: Berserker (Offensive)
Effect: Melee attack, increases the attack skill by 100%
Notes: Liang Hu's dash attack that cuts right through enemy lines. Very good choice if you want to move him out of a pile of enemies
Upgrade: +20% attack skill per skill upgrade, +2% for every five points of iron

Yan Hong
SummonFox.png
: Summon Fox (Defensive)
Effect: Summons a small fox, max number of summons:2, the creature's level always equals your own
Notes: A fox is your best choice on the offensive since they are both quick and hard to hit
Upgrade: Attack speed and dodge of the creature may increase with fire

Cai Xin
Skydive.png
: Skydive (Offensive)
Effect: Ranged attack, increases the attack skill by 60%
Notes: Cai Xin's throws her daggers that can mercilessly cut through enemies without stopping. Can be rather slow if it is not a final combo move
Upgrade: +10% attack skill per skill upgrade, +1% for every five points of iron

Gai Nie
DditS.png
: Dragon dives into the Sea (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Dragon Rising, 30 points of fire+water
Additional Effects: +2% attack speed for every 5 points of fire
Notes: Fast slashing +critical damage is always nice

FloatingShadow.png
: Floating Shadow (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Imperial Guard
Additional Effects: +2% moving speed for every 5 points of fire
Notes: No need for that. Cai Xin still remains our trusty mare in this matter

GoldenBell.png
: Protection of the Golden Bell (Defensive)
Effect: Increases defence by 24
Notes: Considering that my Gai Nie already had fairly high defences due to the many acquired earth points, I didn't use that aura as much as I probably should have
Upgrade: +16 defence per skill upgrade, +2 for every five points of water

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom