Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Wasteland: Complete

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Update soon. However, one thing, I can't seem to find the Onyx ring in the Citadel; is it on the corpse that's rigged to explode? Neither bomb disarm or explosives seem to help. I'd skip this part altogether, $10000 doesn't mean very much to me anymore, but I feel my viewers have the right to see the outcome of the BRO-off.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Wasteland001.png

Wandering the map a bit, we stumble onto Base Cochise! We enter and get brutally raped. Time to leave this one for a while, I think. We decide to finally get our revenge on the Scorpitron, and head to Vegas.

Wasteland002.png

Still can't do much to it with assault rifles...

Wasteland003.png

So we whip out the LAW rockets and RPG-7s. Time for a reckoning. It can't do too much to hurt us when we're all in Kevlar Suits, thankfully.

Wasteland004.png

Wasteland005.png

Ulminati finishes it off. Good man, that bro.

Wasteland006.png

:bounce:
We'll need all of these and more if we're going to take on the Guardian Citadel. Which we are. So we need all of these. And more!

Wasteland007.png

:salute:

Wasteland008.png

Alex picks up a point of brawling, takes up the Proton Ax and heads down to the sewers for some levelling. It goes...

Wasteland009.png

Badly. Shamefaced, Alex returns to the surface with the rescue squad. No more shall we speak of this.

Wasteland010.png

Faran Brygo. A great bell tolls, and it tolls for thee.

Wasteland011.png

Or not. As said in an earlier post, nothing I fucking do will open this thing. Ah well.

Wasteland012.png

ish.

Wasteland013.png

Wasteland014.png

One last piece of unfinished business in NEW FAGGOTS, then we'll move on.

Wasteland015.png

Wasteland016.png

I like how it says this like we're supposed to know him as more than someone mentioned off-hand in dialogue somewhere. Oh well. Alex frees him with picklock.

Wasteland017.png

Wasteland018.png

Wasteland019.png

Arming Covenant suitably and preparing our rocket launchers, we make for the Guardian Citadel. Loot awaits us.

Wasteland020.png

You know the Guardians to be strange collectors of old items and as
xenophobic fools who would not hesitate to kill strangers without ever seeing
the whites of their eyes. You've learned that the flags are in place to mark
the closest an outsider may approach the walls without being attacked.

They... they're not white knights of the wasteland? What is this?

Wasteland021.png

Okay, these guys make FO1 and 2's Brotherhood of Steel look friendly. Lock and load, bros, we have nuns to murder.

Wasteland022.png

When you do pierce their armour, they die relatively quickly. The problem lies in actually doing any damage in the first place.

Wasteland023.png

Brother Goliath doesn't seem bothered about moving or attacking us, so we go around him for now.

Wasteland024.png

Wasteland025.png

Wasteland026.png

Load up again, bros. More snipers - or whatever they are - on the East side.

Wasteland027.png

Wasteland028.png

We could be here a while but I am not wasting rocket launchers on a stationary target god dammit

Wasteland029.png

Wasteland030.png

They do die to assault rifle fire eventually, but it's not something to bet on unless you can afford most of your bros going unconscious or worse. So don't.

Wasteland031.png

Wasteland032.png

Wasteland033.png

Well... this is novel. A stationary target who provides constant skill-ups without taking any damage or fighting back? I'm tempted to raise brawling and energy weapons to 7 for everyone on him alone, but... that'd be a bit mean. Let's just go heal and prepare.

Wasteland034.png

While we're out here, might as well pop into Darwin and see what's what.

Wasteland035.png

Note the counter on the right going up. This shows we're going around a radiation field, which is a bad thing.

Wasteland036.png

Sometimes we get slightly clearer indicators as to where radiation is. Not sure what triggers it. Perception?

Wasteland039.png

Entering Darwin, the first house we come across asks for a password. Sadly, it still doesn't work.

Wasteland040.png

Happening place!

Wasteland041.png

Wasteland042.png

Ignoring the barman for now, we explore the rooms, finding these two. Hmm. There was an antitoxin in Vegas somewhere, I think, but can't really remember where. I might've sold it.

Wasteland043.png

We accidentally stumble into the passworded house again, and they seem less cordial this time. They don't pose much of a threat, or any. The one they were guarding seems nonplussed, offering us access to a black market where we pick up a couple of spare chainsaws.

Wasteland045.png

Convenient! I think the chemicals were in... Needles? We'll have a look. Eventually.

Wasteland047.png

Ew. These were the things that killed me when I first wandered into Darwin. They're pretty rare, I only encounter one group here. Good luck, that. There's a science base to the South we can enter, but it needs a keycard, which we have none of. That was exciting.

Wasteland048.png

Buying a drink from the bartender allows us to grill him.

Wasteland050.png

"Chat".
The bartender frowns. "Not much news since the plague forced
Finster to isolate the base."

Wasteland049.png

"Finster".
"Irwin John Finster, he runs Project Darwin. He still thinks the
world's like it was before, you know?"

Wasteland051.png

"Base".
The bartender leans forward. "Darwin was a science base a long
time ago. Supposed to be hush-hush, but I grew up in its shadow, so..."

Wasteland052.png

"Plague".
"Yeah, some of the guys working in the base took sick. Mad Dog
Fargo and Metal Maniac are still in the back rooms, sicker than dogs."

Wasteland053.png

"Isolate".
"Finster forced all the sick ones out, to prevent the spread he said,
but it just leaves them to die without help," grumbles the bartender.

Sounds like a charming fellow, this Finster.
Buying another drink allows us a fresh round of questions on the same subject.

Wasteland054.png

Wasteland055.png

"Chat".
"I think Finster has something to do with the strange creatures
here-abouts."

Wasteland056.png

"Finster".
"He's an inhuman monster..just cuz he don't get sick he figures no
one else should."
It's... Mr House!

Wasteland058.png

"Plague".
"Well, victims get red-faced and all delirious." The bartender
shakes his head. "It's really odd."

They... they turn into BROS?

Wasteland059.png

Metal Maniac. I think.
The bartender sighs. "He was working in the base as a janitor. Now
he's real sick."

Wasteland060.png

"Password".
The bartender smiles at your question. "Which one, Cretian or
Proteus?"

Presumably ONE of those was for the black market... oh well!
Questions exhausted, we return to the Guardian Citadel and waste Brother Goliath.

Wasteland061.png

We find a few of these throughout the Citadel. Not sure what they're for, but I'd imagine they should be kept safe.

Wasteland062.png

Wasteland063.png

Wasteland064.png

Beautiful. Let's blow them up.

Wasteland065.png

Wasteland066.png

That solves that one. They still stand! More TNT! More destruction!

Wasteland067.png

ONWARD!

Wasteland068.png

One of these does not belong.

Wasteland069.png

...uh

Wasteland070.png

We retreat after taking some heavy fire, and re-equip a full range of rockets.

Wasteland071.png

Wasteland072.png

Wasteland073.png

The inner area of the Citadel. We immediately come under heavy fire and retreat to clear out the outer area first.

Wasteland074.png

Christina is mortally wounded in the retreat, and with chzr unable to help, we nervously pace about in the hope that Ulminati will wake up in time to help her with his Doctor skill.

Wasteland075.png

He does.

Wasteland076.png

Wasteland077.png

A wild Ladonna appears! We quickly put down the hideous creature, but she does some damage.

Wasteland078.png

Wasteland079.png

A grenade bounces around the corner and knocks out a couple of our NPCs. Fortunately, the enemy inside isn't too formidable...

Wasteland080.png

I still can't quite get over the fact that we're blowing up monks with rocket launchers.

Wasteland081.png

Wasteland082.png

In the vault, we find... goodness. Such goodness.

Wasteland083.png

And nothing less than the best weapon in the entire game. Ulminati gleefully snatches up the Meson Cannon. Now they will learn fear.

Wasteland084.png

In the Guardian's museum, we find...

Wasteland085.png

Wasteland086.png

Weird things. We take the fetish, and elect to leave the toaster for now, so we know where it is when we need it and it doesn't clutter inventory space.

Wasteland087.png

Energy weapons seem to go up considerably quickly against these monks. We're still using the strategy of using up the clips available in weapons we pick up before ditching them.

Wasteland088.png

What a strange game this is

Wasteland089.png

Wasteland090.png

Wasteland091.png

Gasp!
We attempt to use both demolitions and bomb disarm on it. Both have much the same result.

Wasteland092.png

Sigh. We leave the corpse for now.

Wasteland095.png

Unfortunately, in another routine scrap, Ulminati, Alex and Christina are heavily wounded again. Ulminati is returned to "unconscious" status quickly, but Alex and Christina slip beyond the help of anyone without Doctor. Ulminati wakes up in time to heal Alex, but... alas poor NPC.

Wasteland096.png

Another password or another silly reference? The jury's out for now.

Wasteland097.png

Wasteland098.png

chzr, no longer recognisable as anything human under her obscene muscle mass, snaps his neck like a twig. We pick up a lot of rockets and power packs in these dorms.

Wasteland099.png

Wasteland100.png

Another of those keys, hidden in the altar.

Wasteland101.png

The jailor proves a formidable foe, and carried another Proton Ax. Excellent.

Wasteland106.png

The coppery-skinned youth smiles. "1 come from the Junkyard
Village. My father is the Junkmaster and he'd be very grateful if you would
return me to my home." He looks down at his feet. "I understand, though, if
you do not want to take me home. You are the mighty Desert Rangers who have
destroyed the Guardians of the Old Order, so you don't need any help. Still,
my father knows where your enemy lairs."

Where the hell is the Junkyard Village? Sigh.

Wasteland102.png

Excitement! There is a portcullis lowered over the entrance, but we enter the door to the side and chzr (of course) opens it easily.

Wasteland104.png

"Rosebud" opens the door to the vault. What could be inside?

Wasteland105.png

.... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Five sets of Power Armour. It's... beautiful!

Wasteland107.png

So beautiful...

Wasteland108.png

Wasteland109.png

Aha!
Not much else of interest up here; another key hidden in a desk, and a helicopter that none of us know how to use.

Sorry if this was a bit of a rushed update, I'm running out the door and won't be home for a few days.
TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR: The exploration of the Sleeper Base!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Admiral jimbob said:
Sometimes we get slightly clearer indicators as to where radiation is. Not sure what triggers it. Perception?
Night.

Glorious progress in the game. Moar.

The other onyx ring should be on a corpse, which is usually under a loot stash in one of the cells, after blowing away the owner. Use perception and then demolitions to get some explosives and the ring. If they go off, you only get the ring. It should be there.

At night time, the radiation glows.

Perhaps Ugly, or one of his goons, may have some fruits and chemicals laying around...

I will let you see if you can find the village.

Each broken toaster has a little cache inside..

Oh, congratulations on now having the best armour in the game! Ignore/sell other armours you may find, or put them on NPC's as needed. I keep one Rad suit around just in case. Well, you never know if you may need it one day...

chzr

Scholar
so i heard alex got horribly raped when he was trying to use proton ax

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Blackadder said:
The other onyx ring should be on a corpse, which is usually under a loot stash in one of the cells, after blowing away the owner. Use perception and then demolitions to get some explosives and the ring. If they go off, you only get the ring. It should be there.

Can't find it. I can't help but set off the explosives on the corpse I examine in the LP, but even after doing so, there's nothing in the square to pick up and nothing in anyone's inventory. I've cleared the rest of the outer sanctum as well.

Admiral jimbob said:
Blackadder said:

Can't find it. I can't help but set off the explosives on the corpse I examine in the LP, but even after doing so, there's nothing in the square to pick up and nothing in anyone's inventory. I've cleared the rest of the outer sanctum as well.

In that case I can only assume that they didn't put this in the PC version. It is certainly there in the C64 version. There isn't any spare loot lying about that you haven't picked up? besides the toaster that is.

Or perhaps perception and bomb disarm? This still shouldn't destroy the ring.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Wasteland091.png

Wasteland092.png

This is the one I'm checking, for reference. Perception works to detect the explosives, neither demolitions not bomb disarm work to actually disarm them. Maybe there's an issue with it not detecting that I've noticed the explosives because I left the map after using perception?

I've done some digging around, and apparently it is missing in some versions; however, the same versions also have no safe in Ugly's office, which I definitely found. Strange.

And nothing that I haven't picked up to check except the ridiculously huge store of ammo and rifles in the vault.

This is the one I'm checking, for reference. Perception works to detect the explosives, neither demolitions not bomb disarm work to actually disarm them. Maybe there's an issue with it not detecting that I've noticed the explosives because I left the map after using perception?

I've done some digging around, and apparently it is missing in some versions; however, the same versions also have no safe in Ugly's office, which I definitely found. Strange.

And nothing that I haven't picked up to check except the ridiculously huge store of ammo and rifles in the vault.

It could also be dependant on the skills levels of Demolitions or bomb disarm. It still shouldn't matter; the ring should be there whether it blows or not.

'Missing in some versions'? How many versions did they make for one machine?! Ridiculous. I will do a little digging around myself now.

torpid

Liturgist
I missed out on a few updates so I've done some catching up, and let me just say :yeah:

Rocket launchers and chainsaws, how good is that?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So, for someone that has never seriously sat down with Wasteland and does not have the time immerse himself in a game --- tell me, what makes this game good/a classic?

asper said:
So, for someone that has never seriously sat down with Wasteland and does not have the time immerse himself in a game --- tell me, what makes this game good/a classic?

If you cannot see why by reading this LP, nothing I say will change your mind.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Wasteland001.png

Off to find the savage village. There are only a few maps in the (fairly small) world map I've yet to explore; I try hunting around the North for a while with no success, so head down to the south-west from Needles.

Wasteland002.png

There we go. Looks like a good village.

Wasteland003.png

I have to tell them the password to get in, and after a couple of guesses, go with "Redhawk". It works. They ask us to drop our weapons before we enter, but thankfully this doesn't actually happen. I have a policy of stopping games and saying snarky things on the internet when they do that, particularly when I have to pick up/re-equip everything myself.

Wasteland004.png

Wasteland005.png

Oh, er, thanks for asking.

Wasteland006.png

The Junk Master speaks and tells you how to find Base Cochise, home
of the Deadly Robots. He sniffs and takes a pull on a small bottle of Snake
Squeezins. "Out in the middle of nowhere, that's where it is. Way up in the
northwest. We've tried to scavenge things out there, but the robots are
deadly, so we backed off." He looks at you rather strangely. "If you want to
venture out into those mountains up there, fine, but don't expect any of our
people to go with you. We got more sense than you Rangers."

That was helpful. Knowing exactly as much as we did when we entered, and finding nothing else of any interest in the village, we move on, heading back to Vegas to pick up the antitoxin we left lying about.

Wasteland007.png

Only one, but that'll do me - Ace and Covenant are still good NPCs, so I'll just dump Redhawk.

Wasteland008.png

The passkey from the Guardian Citadel doesn't get us into Darwin base. Guess the correct key will be in the Sleeper Base, which seems a reasonable next target.

Wasteland009.png

We revive Mad Dog Fargo, and he joins us. Pretty damn good stats, and he's not at too high a rank so he'll hopefully level up quickly.

Wasteland010.png

To find the Sleeper Base, we follow the river to its source in the north-east, the only place we've yet to explore. We quickly find the entrance, and step inside its dusty halls...

Wasteland011.png

Wasteland012.png

Wasteland013.png

We find a secpass in a pile of garbage, and another one in a cubicle a little to the south. There appear to be no random enemies, and the set ones are mostly weak guard dogs and things that pose no threat. What mysteries shall we discover further in?

Wasteland014.png

Wasteland015.png

"New location" is a bit of a misnomer, this just comes up whenever you enter a library-style area. Nobody has enough free skill points/IQ to learn clone tech, and I'm not sure what it does just yet, so I elect to leave it for now.

Wasteland016.png

It's just like Vault 15! We climb down to level 2 for now.

Wasteland017.png

A library area on the second floor offers the teaching of cyborg tech, which I've picked up will be very important shortly. Grunker aims to learn it, but to do so, he'll need one more skill point, which as ever necessitates a level up.

Wasteland018.png

Zombie snowmen! Oh, the horror. I'm guessing this is related to clone tech somehow, but I honestly don't really know. Since we don't really need to clone anyone, I haven't checked it out myself.

Wasteland019.png

We find another secpass in the chief officer's desk. chzr has to use perception to spot it, which gives me the vague impression that most of our party is comprised of eyeless, clumsy dwarf-men who need chzr as a spotter to tell them where enemies are.

Wasteland020.png

Down the hall, and further on.

Wasteland022.png

We discover a computer with a list of pre-war logs. To the paragraph book!

Wasteland023.png

Col. John Smith's personnel file flashes up onto the screen. Aside
from a large amount of test scores and other data, an occasional paragraph
of interest slides by. One that catches your eye reads, in part, "After the
confrontation with Finster concerning the shift of Darwin's focus, Smith
requested and got a transfer to the Base 2 operation. He remained acting
commander until the project's completion in 1995."

Maj. Harrison Edsel's personnel file flashes up onto the screen.
Aside from a large amount of test scores and other data, an occasional
paragraph of interest slides by. One that catches your eye reads, in pan,
"The discipline problem with Edsel has resolved itself. Once he learned he
would be transferred to Base Cochise to program that computer with his new
artificial intelligence routines, he stopped complaining about the primitive
rules restricting his creativity on this project."

Maj. Peregrine Cite's personnel file flashes up onto the screen.
paragraph of interest slides by. One that catches your eye reads, in part,
"Peregrine accurately assessed the security problems with the storage area.
While the base is not meant to be an armed camp, his precautions are well
noted and should provide a surprise for unauthorized personnel operating in
the base."

The screen flashes to life with Capt. Phil Thomas's personnel file.
Aside from test scores and other nonsense you read, "Capt. Thomas's
performance in the village strafing runs was admirable. The AH-6503 attack
helicopter performed at the height of technical specs and destroyed two
small Mexican villages before having to return to base and reload. The AH-6503 is the ultimate weapon."

Capt. Andrea Mills's personnel file flashes up onto the screen.
"Despite her having won the Nobel last year, Andrea's been unable to finish
work on the clone pods. She is unsure they are safe, and the chances of a
clone surviving production is not thought to be that great."

Dr. Franklin Beams's personnel file flashes up onto the screen. Aside
from a large amount of test scores and other data, an occasional paragraph of
interest slides by. One that catches your eye reads, in part "Dr. Beams's
assessment of Edsel's obsessive behavior concerning the computer and AI just
works as another nail in Edsel's coffin. The faster I can get him out of here,
the better. Let Cochise's boss deal with a fully-aware computer."

Lt. Russet Heller's personnel file flashes up onto the screen.
'"I thought Heller would be a discipline problem, but he's not. His jokes
relieve the tension as we work to finish this base. Others worry about the
news that Edsel's new computer is helping to finish Cochise all by itself,
but Heller shrugs it off. 'Who wants to work with someone who won't sit down
for a cold beer after the work's done anyway?' Perhaps mankind does stand a
chance against superior machines."

Phew. Anyway... interesting. Not that I expect this self-aware AI to be the main villain or anything. I was actually expecting that to be this Finster fellow. Or the Master. Well, let's see how it goes.

Wasteland026.png

Here, I can turn a power generator on and off. I have no idea what it does, but turn it on for now, on the basis that... well, it's probably there for a reason. Let's see if we can find what it does.

Wasteland027.png

I haven't taught anyone the helicopter skill, and am not entirely sure where I saw it for sale. The Citadel, maybe? We'll come back when it's needed, the amount of single-use skills being thrown at me is making me a bit cautious with my skill points.

Wasteland028.png

Wasteland029.png

Wasteland030.png

Well, this would be what that power generator was for. The doors don't work when the power is off, and the floor is electrified when it's on; we send chzr up to the generator to turn it on and off for us as necessary (you can switch between parties with V after splitting up your team).

Wasteland031.png

There we go. We make our way through, eager to see what's at the other end...

Wasteland032.png

Wasteland033.png

Experience for Grunker. That'll do me.

Wasteland034.png

Wasteland035.png

:salute: IQ and Dexterity it is.

Wasteland036.png

We defeat the rest of the robots in the room, and are rewarded with some utterly useless parts like power converters and servo motors. Thank you, Wasteland.

Wasteland037.png

Now done with the Sleeper Base as far as I know, we head back upstairs, passing an armory on the way. The door is opened with a secpass, but there is a strong glass barrier between us and the loot. Thankfully, we have some TNT lying around, and use it up against the wall.

Wasteland038.png

Three or four do the trick, and we are free to loot! Lots of power packs, some pseudo-chitin (what?) armour which those not blessed with power armour readily equip, and...

Wasteland039.png

:bounce: Another of the best weapon in the game. That'll do nicely.

Wasteland040.png

One of our secpasses does indeed let us into Darwin Base. Let's see if we can find the mad Irwin Finster and put a halt to his wacky schemes.

Wasteland041.png

Bypassing an elevator, we find our way out into a strange... er... garden? It's populated by fun foes like giant coyotes, which do little damage through power armour but offer great amounts of experience.

Wasteland042.png

We traverse the difficult terrain, making copious use of the climb skill.

Wasteland044.png

Wasteland045.png

:salute: we welcome another Sergeant to our ranks. Now only Alex, as ever, is dragging the team down. Poor show, that bro.

Wasteland046.png

An exit appears at the top of another slope. We climb it steadily, slipping and hurting ourselves far more than a band of hardened bros really should.

Wasteland047.png

Wasteland048.png

Oh. Well, that explains a few things. Let's... see if we can find the man himself, will we?

Wasteland049.png

We take the elevator up to the second floor. There's not much to see other than the door to what seems to be an office area, so with some trepidation, we enter...

Wasteland050.png

Nope
Some slight cheating here; I looked up in the paragraph book Finster's dialogue if you speak to him before freeing the prisoners and pissing him off. It explains the story a bit, at least as regards his motivations and goals, so here you go:

The Director, a handsome, slender man, waves you to chairs that
face his desk. Beyond his desk you see a window into an alien landscape.
Through the window you see a red world with strangely-shaped plants. You see
animals slinking through the shadows and crawling across massive rock
outcroppings. You shudder. It just doesn't feel right.
The Director, Irwin John Finster, notices your stare and smiles like a
snake oil salesman. "I see you've noticed my pet project. This is how the
world will be when all men are gone. It will once again return to the
pristine paradise it was before man rose up and destroyed it."
He turns away from the window and smiles at you. "By the very fact that
you are here, I know you have recovered certain items of a technical nature.
Whatever prompted you to violate this base's security, I do not know, but 1
am willing to forgive it." He sits, leans back and steeples his fingers.
"Because of the delicate nature of our work here -- all very hush-hush, you
know -- 1 must ask you to leave."
Suddenly he leans forward and scowls. "If you do not want to go, well,
we are not without means to deal with even the likes of dreaded Desert
Rangers."

I dunno, I think the world looks pretty good, all things considered. Lots of greenery. Plenty of life, or at least plenty of life before the Desert Rangers come through town, which tends to drastically alter the amount of life in the area. Ah well. Now, on with the LP:

Wasteland051.png

I'd like to know just what kind of handsome, slender men Brian Fargo has been hanging out with. Finster puts up little resistance to our meson cannons.

Wasteland052.png

Wasteland053.png

That'll do nicely. There's a port in a cupboard on the ground floor that we can plug the head into, so let's make our way there...

Wasteland054.png

Wasteland055.png

Wasteland056.png

Grunker bravely heads in alone. Godspeed, bro. :salute:

Wasteland057.png

Wasteland058.png

Jesus Christ what

Wasteland059.png

These... pattern... things... seem to tell the story of Darwin and Finster's organisation. For some reason.

Wasteland060.png

Wasteland061.png

Ah, good, number pattern puzzles. My very favourite.

Wasteland062.png

Wasteland063.png

Wasteland064.png

Get it get it get it
Another number puzzle, and we move on to the next... area. Room? Rectangle? Pattern?

Wasteland065.png

Wasteland066.png

I have to say...

Wasteland067.png

He's not really very scary, no.
Thankfully, the fabled Night Terror can do little to harm Grunker in his power armour, which came into the dreamscape with him. So we whack away at it with the proton ax...

Wasteland068.png

And whack...

Wasteland069.png

And about this point I set up a macro to do the whacking for me while I tapped F2 to keep it going and had a wank.

Wasteland070.png

:bounce:
Now that was well worth it. Let's see just how many promotions Grunker got here...

Wasteland071.png

Wasteland072.png

Wasteland073.png

Wasteland074.png

Maybe it's a deep metaphor about conquering your childhood fears, and facing down what lurks in the primitive parts of your brian in order to grow and develop as a human being. Or maybe it was just a bonus boss with good payout.

Wasteland075.png

There was a maze like this in one of the Pokemon games, I think. This one is even more annoying. When you step on an arrow, it should theoretically send you in whatever direction it's pointing, but it all seems a bit random, to be honest. Grunker mucks about for a while.

Wasteland076.png

Wasteland077.png

Somehow, we make it down to the bottom left, and manage to walk across from there to the exit... folders?

Wasteland078.png

Clever!

Wasteland079.png

Wasteland080.png

Grunker cleaves through the Webs of Deceit with the Big Dirty Ax of Truth.

Wasteland081.png

This one had me a bit more stumped. The answer, of course, is... "nothing". Groan.

Wasteland082.png

Wasteland083.png

Wasteland084.png

...what the fuck just happened?

Wasteland085.png

Wasteland086.png

The... ghost coach... person... lets me out... or something... when I repeatedly use the IQ attribute on nothing in particular. I guess it's like a battle of minds or something? Still have no idea what the baseball was about. This is a strange area. I'm loving the shit out of it.

Wasteland087.png

Wasteland088.png

Wasteland089.png

Wasteland090.png

None of the Finsters put up much of a resistance to Grunker's meson cannon. Reckon we're getting close to the end...

Wasteland091.png

Well, this one's out of place. The answer, of course, is iceberg.

Wasteland092.png

Grunker is a selfless hero, and goes West. The paths close up behind him, and with a "damned if you do, damned if you don't", Finster sends him to another area.

Wasteland093.png

This is another case of spamming IQ.

Wasteland094.png

Pressing shaking brofists against Grunker's cold knuckles, chzr, Alex and Ulminati call him back towards the light.

Wasteland095.png

Wasteland096.png

Wasteland097.png

And there we have the perfect example of how rudimentary text descriptions and simple dialogue can be a world better than any of the cinematic nonsense that passes for engagement and immersion today. Grunker, back from the dead and having conquered his deepest fears, strides forward. Like Jesus with a huge laser cannon.

Wasteland098.png

Finster promptly does what all out-of-ideas psychic villains do and begins chucking fireballs. Grunker is singed once or twice, but never enough to make a difference.

Wasteland099.png

Nope

Wasteland100.png

Wasteland101.png

The Leviathan may look impressive, but is still no match for a burst of meson cannon fire. The old android Finster finally dies.

Wasteland102.png

Wasteland103.png

Looks like it's finally time to head to Base Cochise and wrap this one up, boys and girls.

Grunker strides forwards and takes a final bold leap into the huge pit. Naturally, this proves a perfectly sensible exit strategy, and he wakes up with an entirely real secpass in hand.

Wasteland104.png

Wasteland105.png

...the same secpass we got from the Guardian Citadel, that is. Ah well, even if we gained absolutely nothing from it, this was a fun little venture.

TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR: Wrapping up unfinished business, toaster acquisition... and Base Cochise!

Ah Finster's mind, one of my favourite parts. A little too easy with the power armour though, but that is my fault for suggesting the citadel before Sleeper/Darwin.

The Baseball game can be beaten by using dexterity, agility, etc. providing you have it high enough. You ended up in the wash room, luckily with a good enough IQ. You can also use Charisma to charm your way back on to the pitch. I bet other ways work as well.

Cochise is a tough nut to crack going in the front door. Perhaps there is another way...

NonToxic

Novice
16 colors, infinite quantities of bafflement. Are you nearly end-game now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom