Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fowyr said:
(Or maybe I'm spewing bullshit)

:roll:

No it makes a lot of sense actually now that I think of it.

Gondolin said:
"[Something] is the servant of [something]". "Disruption"? Confused Any ideas, dear readers?

More like "serpent of deception".

:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Black Cat

Magister
You are totally awesome, Bee. Keep it up.

:love:

It's amusing how much my impression of the game was tinted by the fact I did not have the manual the first time I tried to play it. Even when afterward started trying again, now with manual and stuffies, the feeling of dread and hopelessness, and of i don't really understand what's going on in here never actually left.

It's kind of amusing how diferent the first few parts of the game are when you actually know what you are doing, and interesting to read the first impressions of someone else in the game as they go about discovering it for the first time. In particular since they aren't oh god I'm so totally dead, I may even decide to try my hand at it again some time, this time with a more positive outlook, thank to your valiant efforts, good Bee.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Black Cat said:
It's amusing how much my impression of the game was tinted by the fact I did not have the manual the first time I tried to play it. Even when afterward started trying again, now with manual and stuffies, the feeling of dread and hopelessness, and of i don't really understand what's going on in here never actually left.
First time I don't have manual too and remember picking name of spells from EXE :lol:

desocupado

Magister
Why don't you try using the priest in melee more, since he always fails his prayers? Until he levels up a bit and can pray more reliably?

Also, the decline/incline screenshots, look at the Hospice options in the second one.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Once I heard a story about russian research institute whose work was paralyzed by Dark Heart of Uukrul, it was around 90 or 91. They even tried to brute force some puzzle and requested student's help. Can't remember details now.

spekkio

Arcane
30673592.jpg

:M

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Black Cat said:
You are totally awesome, Bee. Keep it up.

It's kind of amusing how diferent the first few parts of the game are when you actually know what you are doing, and interesting to read the first impressions of someone else in the game as they go about discovering it for the first time. In particular since they aren't oh god I'm so totally dead, I may even decide to try my hand at it again some time, this time with a more positive outlook, thank to your valiant efforts, good Bee.

Thanks, Kuroneko-sensei!

desocupado said:
Why don't you try using the priest in melee more, since he always fails his prayers? Until he levels up a bit and can pray more reliably?

Well, I do use him in melee whenever an opportunity arises, it's just that a) he's pretty weak and enemies' attacks hit him pretty hard, so keeping him in the back is generally a better idea, especially against stronger enemies, and b) his melee attacks are not particularly strong, to boot, and he tends to miss or not deal any damage quite often.

desocupado said:
Also, the decline/incline screenshots, look at the Hospice options in the second one.

:oops:

spekkio said:

:love: :love:

Too bad Bee-chan doesn't actually take part in your awesome Fallout Tactics LP. :/
And yeah, I agree about my perception being v. bad. :/

Also, you really want me to be underage, don't you, spek-kun? :roll:

lightbane

Arcane
What?? No deaths yet?? :decline:

Just kidding, continue, I'm eager to continue seeing your suffer... eer, your adventuring.

torpid

Liturgist
Yeah, that anal cherry is still in place. You need to die moar. Whenever you sense some dreadful evil behind a door you should jump in right away.

kazgar

Arcane
why didn't you buy a cross when you bought the hat for spekkio? you were just saying how much your turn undeads were sucking without it.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
kazgar said:
why didn't you buy a cross when you bought the hat for spekkio? you were just saying how much your turn undeads were sucking without it.
Turning is OK, not so powerful like in the AD&D, though. Probably he waits until can afford golden cross.

TheLostOne

Savant
Man, only on page 3 but I'm soooooo.... sleepy.

Just wanted to say this LP rocks so far, bee! Look forward to reading more in the A.M. :salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Fowyr said:
kazgar said:
Turning is OK, not so powerful like in the AD&D, though. Probably he waits until can afford golden cross.

This, but not quite. I'm too impatient to save up for a golden cross, so we'll buy a silver one instead a bit later.

torpid said:
Yeah, that anal cherry is still in place. You need to die moar. Whenever you sense some dreadful evil behind a door you should jump in right away.

:smug:

TheLostOne said:
Just wanted to say this LP rocks so far, bee! Look forward to reading more in the A.M. :salute:

Thanks!

Anywayz, an update will be up in a day or two or, at most, three. I hate being busy but am just that at the moment.

Crooked Bee

Patron
7: It's a Trap!

In which we almost die and run away a whole lot. :roll:

Previously on this LP, we explored the Temple and the Magic Circle areas, explored the Catacomb and stumbled into a secret door we couldn't open, took a look at the Hospice, the Guild, and the Mausoleum -- and made it to the URMOR sanctuary. Our party is at level 2 at the moment.

greenshot_009198.jpg

It's time to explore Eriosthe futher, so we exit the URMOR sanctuary through the eastern door.

07uukrul006.jpg

It looks like someone is spying on us:

07uukrul007.jpg

There's nothing in this small room, so we go further east.

07uukrul010.jpg

Somebody's playing with us.
:rpgcodex: We're no one's plaything FFS!
Nothing in this room as well:

07uukrul013.jpg

We go further through the southern door.

07uukrul015.jpg

The cat-and-mouse minigame continues.
We descend the stairs and enter another door.

07uukrul018.jpg

:x
We're gonna kill you, bastard! (Hopefully.)

07uukrul020.jpg

Onwards.

07uukrul021.jpg

Four doors in this room.

07uukrul024.jpg

We take the southwestern one first.

07uukrul025.jpg

A couple of steps later...

07uukrul028.jpg

Bah, it's just a bunch of bats!

07uukrul029.jpg

They surprise us, however, meaning they get an extra turn -- during which they try surrounding us:

07uukrul031.jpg

A Bat tries to attack Lord Rocket but misses; now it is revealed to be a Cave Bat. Lord Rocket swings at the Cave Bat, and kills it. Bee attacks a Bat, and kills it. Another Bat tries to hit spekkio:

07uukrul034.jpg

Kalos successfully invokes RALKOR -- and the offender is slain:

07uukrul036.jpg

spekkio seals the deal with a spell of SEHK:

07uukrul039.jpg

SEHK is an iron spell in the Arkana of Frost.

3 SEHK The Breath of Ice

The Spell allows your breath to freeze those foes who stand against you. Your breath will form around them and will cause numbing wounds. The forces of chaos are powerful and even this lowly Spell demands great control from the caster.

Its area of effect is the whole battlefield. All three remaining Bats are killed instantly -- they explode one by one:

07uukrul040.jpg

Well done, spekkio! :salute:

07uukrul041.jpg

No treasure though.
Having explored the room with the bats (empty), we exit through the southeastern door:

07uukrul045.jpg

Another empty room, and another door to the south.

07uukrul047.jpg

Behind it is yet another small compartment with nothing of interest, which we exit through a door to the southwest:

07uukrul049.jpg

There's a pit here:

07uukrul051.jpg

We Look down.

07uukrul052.jpg

Okay, let's Climb down, then.

07uukrul053.jpg

Meh, it's just a tiny empty area:

07uukrul056.jpg

We now have to climb back up.

07uukrul058.jpg

It doesn't go quite as planned, though:

07uukrul059.jpg

Kalos gets his legs entangled in his robes, apparently. :roll: Don't you be so careless, Kalos-kun!
On the second try we succeed. spekkio patches Kalos up with SHUM:

07uukrul062.jpg

Okay, this southern area is fully explored now.

07uukrul063.jpg

Time to go back to the room with four doors.

07uukrul064.jpg

But first we have to deal with 3 slimes.

07uukrul065.jpg

We reposition ourselves a bit, moving spekkio away from danger:

07uukrul066.jpg

Lord Rocket strikes at a Rancid Mold, but inflicts merely 2 points of damage. The Mold poisons Rocket in return:

07uukrul071.jpg

Uh-oh. Thankfully, Bee is here to help!

07uukrul072.jpg

The Rancid Mold is revealed to be a Fetid Ichor. :roll: spekkio casts SEHK, but it doesn't really cause much damage:

07uukrul074.jpg

07uukrul075.jpg

A Fetid Ichor hits Lord Rocket hard:

07uukrul077.jpg

Ouch.

07uukrul078.jpg

Kalos tries invoking RALKOR, but Ufthu does not answer. Epic fail.

07uukrul080.jpg

spekkio heals Kalos up with SHUM. Lord Rocket strikes at a Fetid Ichor, and hits it for measly 4 hp. Bee lunges at a Rancid Mold, but misses. :/ spekkio casts SHUM on Rocket to cure his wounds.

07uukrul085.jpg

Oh fuckity fuck. It's time to run away! Which is what we do. :roll:
:decline: of myself. But my usual "no running away" policy doesn't seem to work at all in this game, especially since I want everyone in my party to survive.
Luckily, the poison wears off soon enough, and spekkio patches everyone up. Back in the four-door room, we go the northeastern way.

07uukrul108.jpg

Another vision of Mara appears:

07uukrul106.jpg

An "old man" who "knows the light"? :? This is a hint, of course: we must "trust" the "old man" when we meet him.
To the north are some stairs:

07uukrul110.jpg

07uukrul111.jpg

We descend them.

07uukrul112.jpg

Scary!

07uukrul113.jpg

We got unlucky with our starting position: Kalos and spekkio are in front. We try repositioning ourselves:

07uukrul114.jpg

Poor Kalos gets surrounded by three enemies. :/ Well, at least spekkio should be safe for now.
Kalos tries reciting RALKOR, but Ufthu does not answer. Bee hits at the dog standing near Kalos, and hits it for 19 hp.

07uukrul116.jpg

Poor Kalos. :/
spekkio casts SEHK:

07uukrul119.jpg

It finishes off the wounded dog and hurts the other enemies substantially:

07uukrul120.jpg

Good.
Lord Rocket misses, as does the dog who tries biting at Kalos. Another dog hits Bee for 5 hp. Kalos manages to successfuly recite SIRDHE, the healing prayer:

07uukrul125.jpg

The dogs are Pack Dogs, by the way, and the wolf is a Shadow Wolf. Bee kills one of them. The Shadow Wolf strikes Rocket for 18 hp. spekkio casts AMRAS...

07uukrul128.jpg

...and does indeed manage to hurt the wolf a little:

07uukrul129.jpg

Lord Rocket further hits the wolf for 28 hp. And next turn, for 15 hp. But the wolf is a pretty tough one:

07uukrul133.jpg

Lord Rocket's going to miss several turns now. spekkio uses SHUM to heal Rocket up. Bee kills the remaining Pack Dog. Only the wolf and two Orcs remain. Unfortunately, I go all stupid -- and now the wolf gets too close to spekkio:

07uukrul139.jpg

An Orc attacks Bee for 13 hp. The Orc is revealed as Blue Orc, a tough version of the regular, Brown Orc. Bee manages to stun the monster:

07uukrul142.jpg

spekkio heals himself with SHUM. Kalos' attempt at SIRDHE fails. The Shadow Wolf misses. Bee strikes at the Brown Orc, and stuns it, too:

07uukrul147.jpg

Lord Rocket recovers from his stunned condition and attacks the wolf for 19 hp. Kalos melee-hits the Brown Orc and kills it:

07uukrul149.jpg

A couple of turns later, Bee finally kills the bloody wolf:

07uukrul159.jpg

And then Lord Rocket slays the Blue Orc.

07uukrul166.jpg

:incline:

We also get 25 coins -- and enter a small room to the west:

07uukrul170.jpg

Inside it, we're ambushed by some undead thingies!

07uukrul172.jpg

It's one Corpse and three rats.

07uukrul173.jpg

Nothing particularly interesting or challenging in this battle, except for the fact that Kalos disappoints us again:

07uukrul182.jpg

The Undead Corpse stuns Rocket, but Bee finishes the vile thing off.

07uukrul193.jpg

Plus 10 coins.
Moving further...

07uukrul197.jpg

...we arrive in a large chilly cavern:

07uukrul198.jpg

Going north...

07uukrul200.jpg

...we stumble into a drawing:

07uukrul201.jpg

What could that mean, you ask? We'll get to know ... soon enough. :roll:
A few steps later, we are attacked by some Reptiles.

07uukrul204.jpg

Two of them, actually.

07uukrul205.jpg

"Krefator"?
spekkio casts SEHK...

07uukrul207.jpg

...and damages the beasties somewhat. But the fuckers are tough:

07uukrul208.jpg

Poor Bee. :/
spekkio comes to the rescue:

07uukrul209.jpg

Kalos is stunned:

07uukrul210.jpg

Bee misses. And then...

07uukrul212.jpg

:retarded: Fuckity fuck.
spekkio's AMRAS doesn't help much. Lord Rocket misses. All in all, this battle is surely going the wrong way... Still, some time later Kalos' RALKOR manages to slay one the beasts. Our troubles do not end here, however:

07uukrul228.jpg

And now our Iron Gauntlet is gone!
We decide to run away again. :roll:

07uukrul229.jpg

Our last fleeing attempt was successful; this one, however, almost ends in disaster:

07uukrul230.jpg

Uh-oh. But we do manage to run away. Phew.
spekkio's SHUM brings our HP back to normal -- and we move on.

07uukrul238.jpg

Something fishy's going on behind the southern door.

07uukrul239.jpg

:incline: of spekkio. :decline: of Bee.

07uukrul240.jpg

So this is the fucker who played cat-and-mouse with us earlier. Meet thy death, bastard!

07uukrul241.jpg

Unfortunately, in the very beginning of the battle one of the cloaked figures runs away. :/

07uukrul242.jpg

spekkio's AMRAS does a bit of damage to the remaining one:

07uukrul246.jpg

Bee attacks the cloaked figure and stuns it:

07uukrul247.jpg

It takes only several more hits to slay the foe.

07uukrul253.jpg

:incline:

07uukrul254.jpg

And now a strange thing happens. I accidentally hit "Enter", and so it seems like I've lost the brass key. I'm already preparing to reload the URMOR back-up save, but upon exiting and entering the room again....

07uukrul256.jpg

The same battle kicks in again -- with the same result.

07uukrul269.jpg

Looks like an exploit. :? Or maybe a bug?
Anyway, I decide not to exploit this thing any more, and so make sure to take the key.

07uukrul271.jpg

Moving on...

07uukrul276.jpg

Nothing of interest here. We head back...

07uukrul279.jpg

...and enter the door to the west. There's a roof opening here.

07uukrul280.jpg

07uukrul282.jpg

We Climb up, of course.

07uukrul283.jpg

We find a locked iron grate here.

07uukrul285.jpg

The brass key fits, yay!
Behind the grate is a pit:

07uukrul287.jpg

We are carrying a rope, so we choose to Tie rope to descend.

07uukrul288.jpg

And descend we do.

07uukrul289.jpg

Ominous! :twisted:

07uukrul291.jpg

Nothing but some silly book here. Meh.
Now we need to climb back.

07uukrul292.jpg

Without the rope, this may be tricky. But it's not like we have a choice.

07uukrul293.jpg

:(

07uukrul294.jpg

07uukrul295.jpg

We do succeed on our third try, though.

07uukrul303.jpg

Now it's time to enter the northern door. I wonder what awaits us there? :roll:

07uukrul305.jpg

We enter the door to the east.

07uukrul306.jpg

:roll:
Some rats and dawgs attack us here.

07uukrul309.jpg

A cakewalk.

07uukrul332.jpg

Plus 44 coins. Nice, yay.

07uukrul337.jpg

07uukrul338.jpg

07uukrul341.jpg

We trust Kalos to pick the liquid up. No idea as to what it does yet.
To the north is a 1-square room with some loot:

07uukrul345.jpg

Bee picks the club up.

07uukrul351.jpg

Nothing more to see here.
New doors await us!

07uukrul354.jpg

07uukrul355.jpg

Another pit. :roll:

07uukrul357.jpg

Good.

07uukrul359.jpg

Another roof opening is two steps away from us.

07uukrul361.jpg

We try climbing it.

07uukrul362.jpg

:/

07uukrul363.jpg

Good. spekkio patches the wounded up with SHUM.

07uukrul368.jpg

Another iron grate here.

07uukrul370.jpg

But we ain't got the key for it yet. :/
Okay, let's climb back down.

07uukrul372.jpg

:/

07uukrul373.jpg

:decline: of spekkio.
A couple of steps further is another pit:

07uukrul376.jpg

We try climbing down in it:

07uukrul377.jpg

:decline: of Bee and spekkio. I wonder if there's an agility check at work here or it's just completely random.

07uukrul378.jpg

Uh-oh. We're in for a VERY nasty surprise.
:thumbsup:

Remember the drawing we saw earlier in this update? The one with the skull? Well, it depicted precisely this area and precisely this trap. I failed my PER check. Then again, Bee-chan's Perception is "v. bad". :roll:

We desperately attempt climbing back up...

07uukrul381.jpg

...and, surprisingly enough, succeed.
We're still poisoned and pretty much (almost) dead, however. spekkio casts SHUM a few times:

07uukrul385.jpg

And then we hurry back to the sanctuary! With every step, our HP gets depleted due to poison. spekkio has to cast SHUM frequently, but his psychic points are limited, you know. Also, this poison is *extremely* lasting; it doesn't at all want to wear off FFS!
On our way, to add to our suffering, we are ambushed by some freakin' crabs!

07uukrul394.jpg

07uukrul395.jpg

We choose to run away immediately! :roll:

07uukrul402.jpg

Uh-oh. Just look at our HP!
Kalos constantly fails at invoking SIRDHE to boot. :/ Luckily, on his fourth or fifth attempt, he suceeds:

07uukrul413.jpg

Finally the poison begins wearing off.

07uukrul415.jpg

We've almost made it to URMOR.

07uukrul416.jpg

And at last...

07uukrul421.jpg

Phew, that was close.
Everyone in the party advances to level 3:

07uukrul424.jpg

:yeah:

Okay, folks, we've survived!

07uukrul425.jpg

Next time we'll be exploring the rest of this dungeon. Will we be able to make it to the next sanctuary?

spekkio

Arcane
07uukrul139.jpg

07uukrul239.jpg

(This stuff is great, BTW)

07uukrul373.jpg

:rage:

Great job as always, dungeon-crawling Bee...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Shit starts to get almost real.
:salute:
MOAR! Can't wait High Ceilings.

Cenobyte

Prophet
desocupado said:

:D

btw, are 6 enemies the maximum number encountered in a given fight? Because there don't seem to be enough space to show more monsters in the encounter list?

torpid

Liturgist
The difficulty definitely went up a notch there. Good job keeping your party alive -- our sphincters are finally being tickled :o

Crooked Bee

Patron
Cenobyte said:
btw, are 6 enemies the maximum number encountered in a given fight? Because there don't seem to be enough space to show more monsters in the encounter list?

Hmmm, I haven't really been paying attention to that, but yes, I think you're correct.

kazgar said:
I assume you go back and check temples/mage circle with a new level?

Yup, of course.

spekkkio said:
Great job as always, dungeon-crawling Bee...
Kz3r0 said:
Quite an ordeal there.
:salute:
Fowyr said:
torpid said:
Good job keeping your party alive -- our sphincters are finally being tickled :o
kazgar said:
Excellent adventuring!

Thanks! :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom