Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I have a Deep Dwarf Necromancer worshipping Makhleb going. Doing surprisingly well, for me, I've cleared the Lair, with the exception of the last levels of the Snake Pit and the Shoals and I haven't entered the Slime Pit yet and the Orcish Mines. The entrance corridor in the Elven Halls is blocked by Freezing Vapours that I don't really know how to tackle.

dextermorgan

Arcane
I just updated my game to 0.7.3 and am dying much less, 0.6 version was quite a bit more rapey. If anyone else is playing on Ubuntu/Mint Linux the easiest way to update is to uninstall your exiting version, then download crawl-common and crawl-tiles deb packages from Debian website and install them in the same order (ignoring the version warning).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I just had a weird idea for a build. What if you combined the shitty water making ability of fedhas with conjure flame spam to create obscene amounts of steam clouds? AFAIK, almost nothing in the game resists steam damage, and it'd obscure LOS to you as well. Or would this require too much piety/do too little damage?

Going to try spamming the spell in the Shoals when I get around to going there.

Enchanter is still going, I got a ring with poison resist on it, so I'm going to try out the hive next. Still desperately need some extra strength, but at least I have a semi decent array of spells now (Blink, Meph Cloud, Alistair's, Conjure Fire, Haste/Invis/Extension) thanks to a couple of book stores. So I'm no longer utterly helpless against stuff immune to enchantments. Toying with grabbing a book of the sky for airstrike too, just for the weapons in the vaults, but Nemelex can probably get me through those with summons easily enough.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Steam killing golden dragons or high end monsters? I dont think so. But combining Fedhas with confusion and merfolks works better - until you reach flying monsters ie demons. Fedhas is a weak overall god though.

7hm

Scholar
Found this for a caster.

It hurt his casting slightly, but it's so fucking worth it.

Time to train armour.

Code:
N - the +2 ring mail of Feasting (worn) {+Lev rElec rPois rN+ MR}
   (You found it on level 2 of the Swamp)   
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It protects you from poison.
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It lets you levitate.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
While this is rather good starting artifact I have found better rings (including more AC)...

Damned Registrations

^^^

This is why spriggans are such gimps in the mid game. Other people can generally adapt their weapons and skills around artifacts they get. Spriggans are lucky to find a single artifact even worth equipping. Aside from boots gloves, and half the armor and weapon list being off limits, anything besides a short blade will have horrid skill aptitude, anything with faster metabolism will starve you to death, and - Str will ruin you.

Well this looks kinda fun, I remember trying some rogue like some years ago but was put of by the Ascii graphics (yeah I know graphics whore same reason I couldn't get into Dwarf fortress), but with a nice tile set like this I think I'm gonna give this a go.

Good going so far. :thumbsup:

7hm

Scholar
Lord Paco Part 3 - Hole in the Floor

The Dungeon Crawling Goodness of Lord Paco the Demigod Wizard

Part Three - Hole in the Floor

... in which Lord Paco is shafted hard.

bl_48.png

We rejoin Lord Paco on DL:12, where he has just killed an imp to achieve level 11.

bl_49.png

This is his inventory of note at this point.

bl_50.png

And these are his skills. He's working on training up Long Blades.

bl_51.png

Lord Paco finds the entrance to the Hives. He has no poison resistance and no urgent need to get food, so he's going to skip that for now.

bl_52.png

Lord Paco finds the entrance to a treasure trove. This is maybe the second treasure trove I've ever seen. Given that he doesn't have several thousand gold to spend just this moment Lord Paco decides to lock it.

bl_53.png

He'll have to find 7 scrolls of enchant armour if he wants to get into the trove.

bl_54.png

Lord Paco sees Urug! Urug is a unique orc who throws javelins which are often poisoned.

bl_55.png

Lord Paco's fight with Urug doesn't go as planned, so he starts to run. He runs all the way into a shaft! Oh shit. From DL:14 to DL:18 just like that, and now he's right on top of a sleeping cyclops!

bl_56.png

Lord Paco blinks and teleports his way to a measure of safety, but his options from here are pretty limited. He quickly runs down the stairs to peek and see if it's safe there, and it is. He gets some rest and regroups.

Aw, who are we kidding? Panic mode is on!

bl_57.png

He finds some stairs up to DL:17 and is greeted with the above. Back down to 18 we go. Must be another set of stairs here somewhere...

bl_58.png

Lord Paco rests after nearly being killed by a mottled dragon. Luckily for him his wand of disintegration still had some charges.

bl_59.png

Lord Paco is having a lot of trouble in DL:18.

bl_60.png

bl_61.png

He does find a shop on DL:18 but it's pretty crappy. This is just not going the way he planned.

bl_62.png

"It's just a Boggart. I handled the last one no problem. No big deal."

Jesus christ, boggarts can do what now?!

That took the damn boggart all of one turn.

bl_63.png

Lord Paco's blink and teleport save the day.

Ok, time to get the hell out of DL:18.

bl_64.png

Or, perhaps it's time to run into the boggart again.

bl_65.png

It's a good thing that these little creepers don't have any HP or serious resistances.

bl_66.png

A little while later on DL:17, Lord Paco kills a cyclops and levels up to lvl 12.

bl_67.png

Again? Really?

bl_68.png

Having fled to DL:18, Lord Paco takes a breather and gives himself time to kill and roast a troll. On the plus side, diving like this does help your scrambling ability.

bl_69.png

It was a long, hard road but Lord Paco has finally made his way back up to DL:15. The plan from here is to clear as much of this level as possible and then swing by the Lair. That should be a breeze at this point.

bl_70.png

Lord Paco has a run-in with a mimic. The little buggers are poisonous monsters who pretend to be items lying on the ground. Unless you're at very low health they aren't all that dangerous.

bl_71.png

Sigh.

What you don't see in this picture is the source of all those monsters. Another damn boggart.

Blink without control teleport is just not the same. Lord Paco was pretty well fucked from the moment the quicksilver dragon appeared.

bl_72.png

RIP Lord Paco.

Next update: the morgue file. After that we meet Lightbane the Human Chaos Knight of Xom.

7hm

Scholar
Lord Paco Morgue

The Final Adventure of Lord Paco the Self-Worshipping Demigod Wizard
bl_LordPacoDead.png

Code:
21037 Lord Paco the Thaumaturge (level 12, -31/80 (83) HPs)
             Began as a Demigod Wizard on Feb 4, 2011.
             Killed from afar by a quicksilver dragon (51 damage)
             ... with a bolt of energy

... on Level 15 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 02:29:46 (24348 turns).

Lord Paco the Thaumaturge (Demigod Wizard)                                                             Turns: 24348, Time: 02:29:46

HP -31/80 (83)   AC  8     Str 14      Exp: 12/29093 (256), need: 17306
MP  23/32        EV 16     Int 27      God: 
Gold 672         SH  0     Dex 16      Spells:  8 memorised, 15 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : .   D - +2 great sword
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   h - +2 orc robe
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .   (no shield)
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   b - +0 wizard hat
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   s - +0 cloak
Spirit.Shd: .       Stasis     : .   Z - +1 pair of gloves (curse)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Rnd.Telep. : .   P - +0 pair of boots
Res.Mut.  : +       Ctrl.Telep.: .   m - amulet of resist mutation
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .   Y - ring of protection from magic
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .   I - ring of wizardry

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, quite stealthy
A: Int +1
a: no special abilities

You were on level 15 of the Dungeon.
You were not hungry.

You visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and saw 21 of its levels.

You collected 842 gold pieces.
You used 190 gold pieces for miscellaneous purposes.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 D - a +2,+2 great sword (weapon)
 L - a +1,+0 dagger of venom (quivered)
 N - a +0,+0 orcish dagger of freezing
Missiles
 M - 2 curare-tipped +0 needles
Armour
 b - a +0 wizard hat (worn)
 h - a +2 orcish robe (worn)
 o - a +0 troll hide
 s - a +0 cloak (worn)
 P - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 Z - a cursed +1 pair of gloves (worn)
Magical devices
 p - a wand of random effects (17)
 q - a wand of polymorph other (6)
 t - a wand of polymorph other (6)
 A - a wand of disintegration (13)
 B - a wand of polymorph other (4)
 C - a wand of polymorph other (5)
 F - a wand of magic darts (1)
 J - a wand of teleportation (10)
 K - a wand of frost (10)
 S - a wand of teleportation (8)
Comestibles
 r - 2 bread rations
 u - a beef jerky
 v - 2 meat rations
 w - 4 rotting chunks of yak flesh
 Q - 2 pears
 T - an apple
Scrolls
 i - 2 scrolls of recharging
 k - 6 scrolls of identify
 n - a scroll of remove curse
 x - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 E - a scroll of fog
 G - a scroll of fear
 U - 3 scrolls of detect curse
Jewellery
 g - a +2 ring of evasion
 m - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
 I - a ring of wizardry (left hand)
 Y - a ring of protection from magic (right hand)
Potions
 a - a potion of decay {unknown}
 j - a potion of strong poison {unknown}
 l - 2 potions of might
 z - a potion of restore abilities
 O - a potion of invisibility
 R - a potion of levitation
 W - a potion of brilliance
Books
 c - a book of Minor Magic [flame]   
 d - a book of Power   
 e - the Almanac of Dark Arts
 y - a book of Hinderance   
 V - a book of Conjurations [ice]   

Miscellaneous
 f - a bottled efreet

You had 256 experience left.

Skills:
 + Level 3 Fighting
 - Level 2 Short Blades
 - Level 2 Long Blades
 + Level 7 Dodging
 + Level 5 Stealth
 + Level 2 Stabbing
 + Level 1 Traps & Doors
 + Level 11 Spellcasting
 - Level 11 Conjurations
 - Level 2 Summonings
 - Level 2 Translocations
 - Level 5 Fire Magic
 - Level 2 Air Magic
 - Level 3 Poison Magic
 + Level 3 Evocations

You had 15 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power          Success   Level
a - Magic Dart            Conj           #####          Excellent   1
b - Summon Small Mammals  Summ           #####          Excellent   1
c - Blink                 Tloc           N/A            Excellent   2
d - Mephitic Cloud        Pois/Air/Conj  ######....     Excellent   3
e - Throw Flame           Fire/Conj      #######        Excellent   2
f - Confuse               Ench           ####.....      Great       3
g - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #######..      Excellent   4
h - Throw Frost           Ice/Conj       #######        Excellent   2

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

Your mind is acute (Int +1).

Message History

You blink.
Cast which spell? (? or * to list) 
You blink.
The quicksilver dragon breathes energy at you.
The bolt of energy hits you!
Ouch! That really hurt!
You die...

..........###.##.##.#.########..
..........# #.......#.# 
.....)....# #.......#.# 
#.####.#..# #.......#.# 
#.#  #.#..# #.......#.# 
#.#  #.#..# #.......#.#   ### 
#.####.#..###.......#.## .... 
.^.....................#..... 
#........<###..........#...## 
#..............@...........# 
######...#######.......#...# 
     #...# #####.......###... 
   ##......#####.......###.. 
    #.....! #............# 
     .........##D#######.# 
        # ### #.#...Dk.#.# 
              #.######.# 
              #.#..DkDD# 
              #.#..kX#k# 

Vanquished Creatures
  Harold (D:10)
  Pikel (D:5)
  Joseph (D:11)
  Sonja (D:11)
  Edmund (D:4)
  Grum (D:11)
  Blork the orc (D:5)
  Ijyb (D:6)
Grand Total: 567 creatures vanquished

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This is why Abjuration is such a good spell. Low level too. Quicksilver dragons appear only in the lowest levels of the Vault and Dungeon and are INCREDIBLY powerful.

7hm

Scholar
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Well this looks kinda fun, I remember trying some rogue like some years ago but was put of by the Ascii graphics (yeah I know graphics whore same reason I couldn't get into Dwarf fortress), but with a nice tile set like this I think I'm gonna give this a go.

Good going so far. :thumbsup:

Yeah the tiles version of DCSS is fantastic. As I said, I don't really use any of the tiles specific features - I basically just use it as a nice looking graphic overlay. I figure if I'm going to play console style with ascii graphics I'll go online to do it - and for an LP you should probably pick the best looking version.

There's really no excuse not to play because you don't like the graphics though. They're simple but they're more than enough. The reason not to play is because permadeath is fucking annoying. :)

Damned Registrations

Crawl is the only roguelike I'd seriously consider using tiles for, even though it would require relearning what all the monsters and items look like. However, tiles mode also lags like crap on my computer for some reason, so I don't bother.

7hm

Scholar
DamnedRegistrations said:
Crawl is the only roguelike I'd seriously consider using tiles for, even though it would require relearning what all the monsters and items look like. However, tiles mode also lags like crap on my computer for some reason, so I don't bother.

Make sure your drivers are updated. I had that for the second half of the LP of Mr. Hawking because my computer crashed halfway through and I had to reinstall Windows 7. I didn't want to go through that again - updating my graphics driver fixed it. Apparently an issue with opengl.

In terms of relearning, I find I can switch pretty seamlessly between the two versions, though it's admittedly been several months since last I played with ascii. It helps that Crawl has what I consider to be very good ascii graphics too - pretty well organized.

The biggest problem I have with Tiles is that it doesn't give you that concise listing of monsters your character can see below the automap like the ascii version does.

7hm

Scholar
Lightbane: Part 1 - Xom is BORED

The Short Adventure of Lightbane the Human Chaos Knight of Xom

Part One - Xom is BORED

... in which we explore why 7hm doesn't play Chaos Knights of Xom, or any characters of Xom for that matter.

cl_LightbaneEarly.png

Welcome to the short adventure of Lightbane, the chaos knight of Xom. Similar to Lord Paco, I actually had to take two stabs at running this character. My first adventure with Lightbane ended very quickly, though to be honest I don't remember what killed him.

First off - what exactly is Lightbane?

Well, he's a human. Humans are the definition of average in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Where average can be a good thing in many games, it's not really a good thing in this particular game. Humans level at a good rate, but don't really have aptitude for anything in particular. They also have no defining feature, nothing that makes you go "WOW". They don't have the massive strength that makes trolls an early game powerhouse, or the speed that Spriggans depend on. They don't get the cool flying ability of the Kenku or the mutations of the Demonspawn.

They're human, they're average. Not a terrible thing, but not an ideal thing either.

So Lightbane is human. He's also a Chaos Knight of Xom. Chaos Knights are warriors who choose to worship a particular evil god. They have three choices when starting out:
cl_3.png

Lightbane has chosen Xom.
Xom is the God of chaos, also known as the Random Number God. He is unlike the other gods; he doesn't demand worship or adherance to a set of values, he demands only action. Xom likes it when you do interesting things and hates it when you don't.
Though over time his gifts and favours tend towards positive, Xom will spice things up if you start to get boring. Teleportation, mutations, angry summons, all of these are well within the list of acceptable actions for the chaos god.

I'm not a big fan of using Xom because I find the RNG hard enough to deal with, but he certainly makes for some unique games.

In any case, let's continue with Lightbane.

cl_1.png

cl_2.png

I chose maces for Lightbane just to be different. I'd probably pick axes normally because they you don't need to switch for butchering - sometimes a bit of a change is nice.

cl_4.png

Xom is already bored. Let's try and correct that. I decide that for this playthrough we're going to put Lightbane's life in the hand of the RNG. Within reason, he's going to dive as early as possible. We'll reconfigure at the temple, but the goal here is to be placing Lightbane into combat quickly to make sure Xom stays amused.

cl_5.png

cl_6.png

Here on DL:2 we see that sometimes Xom can be a lot of fun. That kill brings Lightbane to level 2.

cl_7.png

But often Xom is not fun. This was 20 turns after he turned Lightbane invisible.

cl_8.png

Here on DL:3, Lightbane again feels the wrath of Xom. As though the indignity of being in dire straights in a fight against a hobgoblin wasn't enough...

cl_9.png

Not really sure what Xom was going for here.

cl_10.png

A gift from Xom. Pretty decent actually. Thanks Xom!

cl_11.png

Xom sees that Lightbane has encountered Sigmund and decides to play a prank on his follower. Lightbane decides not to fight Sigmund just yet.

cl_12.png

cl_13.png

On DL:4 Xom grants Lightbane poison and fire breath weapons. Lightbane has to survive this encounter first though.

cl_14.png

Xom helps Lightbane survive the encounter by teleporting him a short distance away. Lightbane leveled up again and is now level 4.

cl_15.png

Oh christ. Iguanas pack a very mean punch.

A punch mean enough to kill Lightbane.

These were the contents of Lightbane's inventory as reported to us:

cl_16.png

cl_17.png

RIP Lightbane. (And this was the better of the two playthroughs...)

cl_18.png

Next up: the morgue file. After that the first chapter of Malakal the Demonspawn Fire Elementalist's adventures. I've also run through the story for Anetka the Sludge Elf Transmuter of Chei, but it's pretty short (around Grog length, but with a lot less detail because I'm not explaining every feature anymore) so I'll save it for when I want a bit of a change.

7hm

Scholar
Lightbane: Morgue File

The (Short) Final Adventure of Lightbane the Chaos Knight of Xom
cl_LightbaneDead.png

Code:
319 Lightbane the Skirmisher (level 4, -4/32 HPs)
             Began as a Human Chaos Knight on Feb 5, 2011.
             Was a Plaything of Xom.
             Slain by an iguana (11 damage)
             ... on Level 4 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:14:34 (2534 turns).

Lightbane the Skirmisher (Human Chaos Knight)                                                           Turns: 2534, Time: 00:14:34

HP  -4/32        AC  5     Str 12      Exp: 4/124 (0), need: 16
MP   0/4         EV  2     Int 11      God: Xom
Gold 233         SH  0     Dex 18      Spells:  0 memorised,  3 levels left

Res.Fire  : + . .   See Invis. : .   a - +3,+2 mace
Res.Cold  : x . .   Warding    : .   b - +2 leather armour
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .   w - +0 buckler
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   (no helmet)
Res.Elec. : +       Clarity    : .   (no cloak)
Spirit.Shd: +       Stasis     : .   (no gloves)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Rnd.Telep. : .   (no boots)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   v - amulet of guardian spirit
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .   (no ring)
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .   h - ring of fire

@: paralysed, agile, slightly resistant to hostile enchantments, quite stealthy
A: breathe flames 1, electricity resistance, spit poison 1, Str -1, Int -1, Dex +1
a: Spit Poison, Renounce Religion, Breathe Fire

You were on level 4 of the Dungeon.
You worshipped Xom.
You were Xom's teddy bear.
You were not hungry.

You visited 1 branch of the dungeon, and saw 5 of its levels.

You collected 213 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - a +3,+2 mace (weapon)
 f - a +0,+0 sling
 l - a -1,+0 orcish dagger (quivered)
Missiles
 i - 6 exploding +0 sling bullets
Armour
 b - a +2 leather armour (worn)
 w - a +0 buckler (worn)
 x - a +1 ring mail
Comestibles
 c - 5 bread rations
 j - 3 chokos
 o - a meat ration
Scrolls
 d - a scroll of identify
 e - a scroll of remove curse
 k - a scroll of fog {unknown}
 m - 2 scrolls of detect curse {unknown}
 p - 3 scrolls of teleportation {unknown}
 q - a scroll of paper
 t - a scroll of fear {unknown}
Jewellery
 h - a ring of fire (left hand)
 r - an uncursed amulet of clarity
 v - an amulet of guardian spirit (around neck)
 y - an uncursed amulet of resist corrosion
Potions
 g - 2 potions of brilliance
 n - a potion of magic
 z - 2 potions of levitation {unknown}
 A - a potion of confusion {unknown}

You had 0 experience left.

Skills:
 + Level 4 Fighting
 - Level 2 Maces & Flails
 + Level 1 Slings
 - Level 2 Armour
 + Level 3 Dodging

You had 3 spell levels left.
You didn't know any spells.

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You have a somewhat thin skeletal structure (Dex +1, Str -1, Stlth).
You can breathe flames.
You are dopey (Int -1).
You are resistant to electric shocks.
You can spit poison.

Message History

Drink which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You suddenly lose the ability to move!
Xom thinks this is hilarious!
Helpless, you fail to dodge the iguana's attack.
The iguana bites you!
You die...
Xom snickers!

...........................# 
..OO....................... 
OO?.########...........# 
....#      #...........# 
....###    #......#....# 
.......    #.......#.o.# 
........   #.......#o..# 
.........  #...........# 
.......... #...l(.# 
...#.......#..l#### 
...#...........@.#   ..# 
.................## ...###### 
........#.........###.......## 
........#.........#..........# 
........#.........#..........+ 
#.......##........#..........# 
 ................###.......>.+ 
 #####...........# #.........###
######...........###....g.%.....
.......................###'#.##.
.......................# #.#.# 

You could see an iguana.

Vanquished Creatures
Nothing of note.

Grand Total: 57 creatures vanquished

Zomg

Arbiter
I'd like Xom a lot better if he couldn't banish you on like D:5 even when not bored.

7hm

Scholar
General Info: Unique Encounters

Unique Encounters

This is a side post not related to any individual character's story. I wanted somewhere I could compile all the encounters with uniques so that I don't explain their appearance a second or third time. I'll also include any information that would be pertinent to this LP, such as whether they were involved in the murder of one of my heroes, and which hero was the first to notice them (as well as a link to the relevant post). I'll be updating this particular post as I finish off with each character's story and linking it from the main post.

The Humans

Sigmund
unique_sigmund.png

A notoriously lethal early-game unique human wizard with a shiny scythe, a magic wand, and a necklace of player skulls. Typically generated with a wand of lightning, draining, or paralysis when you get a really good character started.
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking stabbed Sigmund to death.

Edmund
unique_edmund.png

Edmund is Sigmund's younger, jealous, and less magically talented brother. He has more money and wit though, and usually caries around a Flail of Protection!
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking stabbed Edmund to death.

Erica
unique_erica.png

A comely spellweaver. She has Venom Bolt, Mystic Blast, Invisibility, Confuse, Slow, and Teleport Self for emergencies. She always wields a scimitar of flaming.
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking stabbed Erica to death in her sleep.

Jozef
unique_jozef.png

Jozef is a tall bounty hunter; he casts many spells and uses nets that deal damage. He explores the dungeon searching for Joseph, who has a bounty out on his head.
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking summoned monsters to kill Jozef.

Maurice
unique_maurice.png

unique_zombiemaurice.png

He's a dirty thief. He can steal things out of your inventory!
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking's summons killed Maurice, but Maurice was later raised as a zombie. Mr. Hawking ran from the zombie version of Maurice.

Josephine
unique_josephine.png

Josephine is a really ugly necromancer.
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking ran from Josephine and this contributed to his eventual demise.

Harold
unique_harold.png

An unimpressive human bounty hunter with a handful of spells and some throwing nets.
First encountered by Lord Paco. Lord Paco ran from Harold initially, but returned later to kill him.

The Humanoids

Blork the Orc
Unique_blork.png

A unique spellcaster orc. Tends to have a rather strong weapon, and dangerous if he hastes himself and you don't have much AC.
First encountered by Grog. Grog killed Blork up in melee.

Erolcha
unique_erolcha.png

A unique ogre magess spawned with a random set of spells, one of which includes the power to banish players to the Abyss, and another of which is Lehudib's Crystal Spear; if she casts Invisibility, then she has neither. Do not underestimate her.
First encountered by Grog. Grog ran from her.

Pikel
unique_pikel.png

A Big Kobold slaver, on his way to the Orcish Mines to sell his wares. He commands a band of 4 human slaves, who are yearning for freedom and will be pacified when you kill their evil master. Pikel wields a whip of either flaming or pain.
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking killed Pikel with a wand of fire.

Grum
unique_grum.png

Is a unique gnoll who breeds war dogs. He wears the skin of a deceased war dog and he's a bit of an easy mark for most adventurers by the time they meet him.
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking stabbed Grum to death.

Nergalle
unique_nergalle.png

Orc sorceress, harmless by the time you meet her. Unless she summons a hellion, of course. Or if she paralyses you. On second thought, not so harmless.
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. One of Nergall's summoned hellions killed Mr. Hawking.

Ijyb
unique_ijyb.png

Ijyb is a unique goblin who sometimes spawns with a wand. If he does have a wand he can be a dangerous opponent. If he doesn't have a wand though, he's often an easy kill.
First encountered by Lord Paco. Lord Paco killed Ijyb with a magic dart.

Urug
unique_urug.png

Urug is a unique orc who throws javelins which are often poisoned.
First encountered by Lord Paco. Urug and Lord Paco fought until Lord Paco was forced to flee. During his retreat Lord Paco fell through a shaft in the dungeon all the way to DL:18.

The Undead and The Demonic

Menkaure
unique_menkaure.png

A unique, early mummy, also found in Ossuary. Knows pain, torment, and haste. Orc-wizard magenta! He gives the normal mummy death curses.
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking killed Menkaure with a wand of fire.

Grinder
unique_grinder.png

A unique shadow imp that weilds a pain weapon (a club, usually) and has the following spells: pain, paralyse, blink and brain feed.
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking killed Grinder with a dagger of electricity.

The Monsters

Gastronok
unique_gastronok.png

A greedy elephant slug who ate a wizard for lunch and now casts spells!
First encountered by Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking summoned monsters to kill Gastronok for him.

The Hall of Champions

Herein we list the successful eliminations of unique monsters.

Grog
Code:
Blork the orc (D:8)

Mr. Hawking
Code:
Erica (Lair:7) 
Pikel (D:7) 
Maurice (Orc:4) 
Gastronok (Lair:7) 
Jozef (Lair:6) 
Grinder (D:7) 
Edmund (D:7) 
Grum (D:8) 
Menkaure (D:7) 
Sigmund (D:7)

Lord Paco
Code:
Harold (D:10) 
Pikel (D:5) 
Joseph (D:11) 
Sonja (D:11) 
Edmund (D:4) 
Grum (D:11) 
Blork the orc (D:5) 
Ijyb (D:6)

Damned Registrations

Just about lost my enchanter a minute ago to an ice dragon. Sticky flame doesn't seem to count as flame for vulnerability purposes, and I didn't have an fire wands on me. I probably should have just gone for a summoned army right off the bat but I kept dicking around trying to confuse or paralyze or burn it.

Also, decks of escape SUCK. Half the cards don't let you escape at all. How the fuck is Swap an escape card when you can't even target it.

I've found a lot more spellbooks but I'm still missing really vital basic stuff like insulation, dispel undead, and abjuration. And my gear still sucks balls. 3 artifact pieces of armor and 2 of them have +4 str and fuck all else and the other one gives me blink and levitate (Woo! Abilities I already had but less reliable and with a food cost!) My resists haven't improved at all for the last 15 floors +2 portals I've cleared out. No resist fire, cold, clarity, magic or electricty. No teleport control. No means of stasis.

I'm beginning to consider the prospect of converting to Jiyva and chugging mutation potions to get my resists.

7hm

Scholar
Malakal: Part 1 - Reaching the Temple

The Incredible Adventures of Malakal the Demonspawn Fire Elementalist

Part One - Reaching the Temple

... in which we are introduced to Malakal and follow him as he attempts to reach the Temple.

el_1.png

Meet Malakal. The Malakal from this thread requested a Demonspawn of Jiyva but didn't specify the background. I wanted to try something I'd never done before, so I went with a Fire Elementalist. Now, let's break that down.

Malakal is a Demonspawn, which is:
A race with slightly below average aptitudes in all discipines and very poor xp gain. Get 6 semi-random good mutations.
He's also a Fire Elementalist:
A spellcaster that starts out with some conjurations and fire magic skill and a Book of Flames, which contains the very effective Sticky Flame spell.
It's not the most obvious combination, but in 0.7 Demonspawn are actually fairly versatile. As noted, their aptitudes are similar to Demigods; slightly poor at everything and they have difficulty levelling. As opposed to Demigods they have normal stat gain, the ability to worship gods of course, and most importantly their Demonspawn mutations every couple levels. Depending on what the RNG gives me, Malakal could end up with a constant demon companion, a permanent shield of ice, or turn into a warped monstrocity covered in horns and claws.

To be honest, I haven't actually tried Demonspawn seriously since the update, and I've never played a Fire Elementalist past the first couple levels, so this was a really intersting game for me. Let's see how it plays out...

el_2.png

Still on DL:1, Malakal gains a level. The early game for a DsFE is all about spamming his flame spell, throwing things, and praying that your dagger hits when you have no other choice, so I'm pretty happy that Malakal has had a fairly easy time to this point.

el_3.png

Malakal got his first mutation at level 2 - this is basically the first of three levels of the shadow mutation. Each successive level increases stealth for the character and reduces your LOS. Reducing the player's LOS also reduces the monster's LOS (a key point here). It's not really ideal for some spells, but sneaking around and escaping will be a lot easier now.

With Demonspawns the early mutations can have a major impact on the direction you take your character in. I was always going to contentrate on stealth, but even moreso now that Malakal has some intrinsic advantages in that regard.

el_4.png

Malakal reaches level 3 and gets another mutation. This one gives him some extra protection, never a bad thing with a squishy magic-user. This has the ability to give him +10 AC by the time it reaches level 3... very powerful stuff.

el_5.png

Here on DL:3 Malakal gets into a really bad spot. He could die in a single hit to a strong monster like a gnoll, and his spells weren't able to do any damage to the gnoll at all.

el_6.png

Never forget to use a scroll of fear. It's a scroll new people almost always forget about, and it often can save you in the space of a turn.

Malakal runs the opposite direction of course.

el_7.png

Looks like Malakal might have missed the portal entrance to Sewer. A lot of the portals are timed. Bah.

el_8.png

el_9.png

Malakal meets the gnoll again, but he's stronger now. He takes the gnoll out. Revenge is a dish best served flaming hot.

el_0.png

el_11.png

Malakal finds a book shop on DL:5. This is going to come in handy later! For now though he's just going to focus on the Book of Flame he started with.

el_12.png

el_13.png

The difference between life and death, success and failure in the early game is razor thin sometimes.

The only reason Malakal survived the encounter is because:
a) the orc wizard didn't kill Malakal when Malakal took a turn to quaff a potion of might
b) the swing hit - hardly a sure thing with no skill in fighting or short blades

That said, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Malakal cheated death, but sometimes that's what it takes.

el_14.png

With a new level comes a new mutation. Malakal has claws now. Every Demonspawn is guaranteed some sort of physical mutation - there's a second type of Demonspawn that gets all three physical mutations; they're considered monstrocities. I like using hats, gloves and boots so I'd rather keep the physical mutations to a minimum but of course nobody asked me.

el_15.png

Yikes! Malakal finds a vault of kobolds and Big Kobolds on DL:6. He immediately turns the other way and thanks the stars that he wasn't spotted..

el_16.png

Malakal uses a wand of enslavement to charm the orc priest. The orc priest and Malakal take down the orc warrior.

el_17.png

Malakal finds a book of Spatial Translocations. The blink spell is especially useful for extending a character's life, so Malakal immediately memorizes it - he'll victory dance it the first chance he gets.

el_18.png

Malakal finds another shop. I didn't screenshot the contents for some reason, but there wasn't much of note. He grabbed a scroll of immolation and identify.

el_19.png

DL:8 is presenting some problems to Malakal. He's now been down all three staircases and seen the same thing all three times - a large group of monsters. It looks like the cross level you come across sometimes in the main dungeon. Short of rushing through and diving it blind, the only real way to deal with it is to clear out every single monster.

Malakal decides to aver that decision for now and instead climbs back up the dungeon to do some grinding while he thinks the problem over.

el_20.png

Some grinding accomplished Malakal goes back down to DL:8 and with the help of his enslavement wand he clears out a section of the dungeon level.

el_21.png

DL:9 has a really interesting structure. I love crawl's dungeons. Soooo much more interesting than the corridor / room setup from certain other prominent roguelikes.

el_22.png

Malakal gains another level and is now even more protected than before.

el_23.png

What did I just say about cool dungeons?

Anyway, this altar to Trog has a bunch of rats surrounding it. They can berserk but they're still easy fodder at this point. Malakal kills them and sits back to enjoy the view. As a spellcaster Trog is of course out of bounds, but a Demonspawn has to respect the blood god.

el_24.png

Malakal returns to DL:8 to clear out the cross. He's strong enough at this point that he empties it out in two trips. There is quite a bit of loot here but nothing spectacular.

el_25.png

By the time he hits the stairs to DL:10, Malakal knows he has missed the Temple.

He goes back to DL:4 and there it is! Doh!

el_26.png

Lots of altars to the gods here, but none to Jiyva. Hmmm... what to do.

There is of course a guaranteed altar in Slime, but that's a long way from now, even deep diving.

So - Malakal decides on an interim god.

el_27.png

Vehumet is an evil god, and he's a magic using god. Seems like a good fit for Malakal the spellcasting spawn of demons.

[Later I read up on switching from Vehumet to Jiyva. Needless to say, I picked the wrong god. Vehumet isn't one to piss off. You won't be seeing a slime god worshipper this time around - I'll have to find another character to work that in on.]

Now that Malakal has picked his god, we will leave him here.

Next up: Malakal explores the main dungeon looking for the Lair, demonstrates some basic FE tactics along the way.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
after a few dozen deaths I'm beginning to get ahold of this fucking stupid game. but my stupid necromancer is always hungry :x

7hm

Scholar
hoverdog said:
after a few dozen deaths I'm beginning to get ahold of this fucking stupid game. but my stupid necromancer is always hungry :x

how late into the game is he still hungry?

the food game is always there for casters early, but it should be pretty well over by the lair at the latest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom