Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Kz3r0

Arcane
My vampire assassin has found a dwarven scalemail, an encrusted iron ring that gives life protection and a zirconium amulet, now my health regenerates on itself and I don't get thirsty.
I am level four and the only problem was with a worm and a quakka, orc wizards are piece of cake.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
My vampire assassin has found a dwarven scalemail, an encrusted iron ring that gives life protection and a zirconium amulet, now my health regenerates on itself and I don't get thirsty.
I am level four and the only problem was with a worm and a quakka, orc wizards are piece of cake.

Worry not my good friend. the future holds plenty of rape in store for your vampire.

:M

Kz3r0

Arcane
I also got the bat form, any suggestion on how to take advantage of it?

dextermorgan

Arcane
It has superior speed to most opponents so it can come in handy to make a quick getaway. Also good for crossing deep water and other obstacles. Other than that, not much use.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Certainly nothing you'd use in combat. And since you're an assassin anyways, you'll probably pick up blink/swiftness/haste at some point, any of which is much better for escaping than batform generally will be. It's kind of a lame ability considering who gets it honestly. It's not like you go from being a plodding ogre or naga to a speedy bat. You're already a lightly armored stealth character, why wouldn't you have escape means better than batform anyways?

7hm

Scholar
Malakal: Part 2 - King Grognir's Castle

The Incredible Adventures of Malakal the Demonspawn Fire Elementalist of Vehumet

Part Two - King Grognir's Castle

... in which Malakal storms the moat of an orcish fortress.

el_28.png

We rejoin Malakal on DL:4 where he has just left the Temple and pilfered a blowgun off of a goblin.

I love finding blowguns. Combined with poison needles they make a great secondary weapon. Malakal uses the needles to finish off an Ogre that's been chasing him.

el_29.png

el_30.png

Malakal returns to the kobold mini-vault and gives them a nice warm welcome. He's strong enough to kill them now if he uses good tactics.

el_31.png

A great tactic - use conjure flame to prevent the kobolds from bearing down, and spam them with darts and needles.

Malakal kills them all with barely a scratch.

el_32.png

Inside the mini-vault Malakal finds a ring of protection from magic. You can never have enough MR.

el_33.png

el_34.png

Malakal finds a shop. There's not too much useful in here. He grabs the potions of paralysis and leaves the scroll of acquirement for later.

el_35.png

Malakal steps down onto DL:11 into a room with a bunch of bees and Psyche.

Psyche:
She is a unique magess that is generally unremarkable, but who can be quite dangerous if she spawns with a dagger of distortion.

Malakal has no interest in taking on this situation at this time. Back up the stairs he goes.

el_36.png

Fire Elementalist vs Ice Beast. Gee... I wonder who will win this one?

I enjoyed this immensely. It made up for Mr. Hawking having to run the second he saw one of these things.

el_37.png

el_38.png

Back down to DL:11 to take care of Psyche. The wand of fire gets rid of her before she can close, so I don't figure out if that dagger was in fact a dagger of distortion.

el_39.png

Awesome!

I know what this is... it's a monsther castle. They're vaults that show up in some games. They look like a castle filled with one type of monster; at this level of the dungeon they'll be orcs or gnolls, though later in the dungeon you can also get draconion castles (any other monster type?). Sometimes some good loot to be found. I really enjoy clearing them out - the flavour is cool.

That being said, wargs are not easy enemies. Time to get out of there, Malakal will try this later on his own terms.

el_40.png

Malakal spots Erolcha sleeping. He turns around. No need to push it, he can come back later.

el_41.png

Malakal learns sticky Flame.

Heh. Monsters die. Sticky Flame is awesome.

el_42.png

Malakal gains a level and is now level 11. His mutation is a second body mutation. Crap. He's going to be a monstrocity.

el_43.png

Malakal use-IDs a dagger and learns that it's a dagger of distortion. The distortion brand is an interesting one.
When it hits it inflicts one of: "1-7 bonus damage", "3-26 bonus damage", "blink", "teleport", or "banish to the abyss". When you unwield a weapon with this brand you suffer wild translocation effects - up to 43 raw damage, banishment, teleport+confusion, or more glow than your mind can comfortably imagine.
This is an interesting point in the game. I now have two choices. I can:

A) Have Malakal unwield the dagger and hope for the best. Worst case scenario right now would be a trip to the abyss. I've had it happen a couple times and I've never survived. There's always a first, but it's risky.

B) Have Malakal learn to love using a dagger.

Malakal is doing well. I chose B. Malakal is now a DsFE rocking daggers.

On the plus side, the brand has a good chance to either do a lot of damage or get rid of an enemy. Malakal will be sinking enchant weapons into the thing to make it worthwhile.

el_44.png

Malakal finds the entrance to Hive. We haven't seen the Hive yet.

The Hive is a very intersting branch. It's currently up for discussion with the devs what to do with it. It consists of two floors, the bottom floor of which houses the actual hive, a honeycomb style structure filled with bees, including both larvae and a queen, and food. There's a high chance to be surrounded if you actually go into the hive structure, but with rPois it's a fairly easy branch. There's no rune or anything at the end of it.

All that being said, Malakal skips it for now. He has no rPois and bees can pack a wallop when they attack in groups. Malakal is going to stick to his long corridors for now.

el_45.png

Back at the castle, which turns out to be filled with orcs, Malakal gets into a really bad spot with a Cyclops. He has to blink away to be safe.

el_46.png

After making his way inside the castle and killing the intial guards Malakal is sighted by the large contingent of castle dwellers which include an Orc Warlord.

Malakal backs away but only to make sure that any non-castle monsters nearby are dead. He doesn't want to have his retreat blocked by something.

el_47.png

The cyclops was still around, but this time Malakal takes it out. Sticky flame is a fantastic spell.

el_48.png

Instead of returning to the castle, Malakal decides to do some victory dancing. With about 3k experience in his pool he wants to get the blink spell up to a higher success rate. That will really help him survive down the road.

So he sets up in a safe area and spams the spell until the pool runs out.

el_49.png

Malakal gets his translocation skill up to 2. Not amazing, but enough to cast Blink at the great level.

el_50.png

el_51.png

With his new spell in hand, Malakal returns to the castle to finish clearing it out.

He kills the orcs and finds the warlord sitting in a corner. As he pulls back out (spamming sticky flame onto the warlord) he gets the warlord to the bring of death.

el_52.png

The warlord packs far too strong a punch. Preferring survival over dignity, Malakl has to retreat. He wasn't able to kill the warlord.

el_53.png

A little while later though, justice is served. The Orc Warlord dies and the castle is open for Malakal to sack.

el_54.png

And sack he does.

No real good loot though. Oh well. It was a lot of fun.

el_55.png

Before leaving the level Malakal has some business to take care of. He removes the Erolcha threat.

el_56.png

A cool little dungeon feature. The four open squares are all teleport traps. Nothing Malakal can do here yet (and it's just some gold).

We're actually going to leave on this feature. It's getting pretty late as I write this.

Next up Malakal will be hitting the Lair.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I've started a new deep elf fire elementalist, found two books on DL1 (Sky and ice summoning), only to be killed by a hobgoblin and a named goblin (forgot his name) right off the only usable staircase to DL2. FUCK THIS GAME :x

Damned Registrations

Started a troll necro to run around with when I'm not feeling up to being ultra careful with my spriggan. Lots of fun.

Is it just me or are the only decent classes to start as Berserker (For early piety with Trog/nice str) and some sort of caster for the free book? I mean, even a troll is better off learning SOME magic if you're not going to worship Trog. And trying to find a book with blink or meph cloud or whatever you're wanting is a real crapshoot compared to the equipment and skills other classes start with.

Yeesh

Magister
DamnedRegistrations said:
Started a troll necro to run around with when I'm not feeling up to being ultra careful with my spriggan. Lots of fun.

Is it just me or are the only decent classes to start as Berserker (For early piety with Trog/nice str) and some sort of caster for the free book? I mean, even a troll is better off learning SOME magic if you're not going to worship Trog. And trying to find a book with blink or meph cloud or whatever you're wanting is a real crapshoot compared to the equipment and skills other classes start with.
Trolls are so fucking awesome until suddenly they aren't. And yeah, it seems that if you're after a certain spell there's no way you can expect to get it for a very long time, if at all, so starting out with it is like christmas.

Now let me say this:
20p6jdh.jpg

FUCK YOU WHOEVER THOUGHT THEM UP. FUCK YOU AND CHOKE ON A COCK YOU STUPID FUCKING SHITEATING SCUM.

All I want to do is go on a little adventure, fight some monsters, and gather some loot. The fact that said loot can get eaten if I happen to run into a jelly while I'm busy fighting for my life drives me crazy. Fuck that. Fuck that so much.

7hm

Scholar
For a DDNe, is it worth learning Borgnor's Revivification?

How much HP (I assume?) do you lose per casting?

Also. Ahahahaha yeesh

This post on somethingawful makes me want to play a draconian jiyva worshipper though.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=140#post385874400

I'll have another Malakal post up tonight as well.

I'm having too much fun playing... On another note; I've gotten like 5 characters in a row to Lair or past it, and seven out of the ten I've rolled have made it to the Lair. I've only had two characters die before temple (both those fucking xom worshipers - the first Lord Paco died right after temple).

Playing super cautious in the early game makes such a difference.

Damned Registrations

I swear jellies were only put into the game to troll you by eating spellbooks and jewelery and to screw over archers. Any halfway decent caster or melee class one shots them anyways.

I spent a bit of time dicking around in wizard mode earlier today and I have to say, mutations seem fairly weak in the long run in .7 Crawl. You can only get around ~6 or so on top of your racial ones, and chances of getting all of them at their strongest form at once is really slim. You might get full hooves or horns for melee, but chances are you'll also be carrying around some useless crap like +1 AC scales and slightly sharp fingernails. I tried mutation potions, tried Jiyva, even tried Demonspawn + the above, it just doesn't work out to much benefit.

Also, Okawaru's gifts really suck. I went through about 200 gifts, and not only do they not account for armour skill vs dodging skill, he'll also toss weapons at you when you've got unarmed skill and no weapon skills. And most aren't even randarts, just shitty random crap like gloves of dexterity, or if it is a randart, something stupid like chain mail with +3 int. And they don't scale with your level or the dungeon either. Leather armor -3 of fire resistance is hardly an impressive gift for a level 27 character standing in Zot 1.

Lastly, Evasion is total shit in the long run as a defense in melee. I made a halfling, gave him crazy +EV artifacts, maxxed dodging and every stat point into dex, and he hardly ever dodged the executioners summoned by the ancient lich (Whom I was hoping would fire a LCS at me but stuck to cold bolts and iron shots, neither of which could hit). You're not going to get much more evasion than he had on even with fantastic luck, and this is ignoring all the shit thats area damage or smite targeting anyways.

7hm

Scholar
DamnedRegistrations said:
Lastly, Evasion is total shit in the long run as a defense in melee. I made a halfling, gave him crazy +EV artifacts, maxxed dodging and every stat point into dex, and he hardly ever dodged the executioners summoned by the ancient lich (Whom I was hoping would fire a LCS at me but stuck to cold bolts and iron shots, neither of which could hit). You're not going to get much more evasion than he had on even with fantastic luck, and this is ignoring all the shit thats area damage or smite targeting anyways.

Most everything seems to be shit in the long run. That the point of roguelikes though right? The balance of power should always be against the player.

That's (part of) why roguelikes are awesome.

Qwertilot

Novice
Well in the *bands you can get very powerful indeed late game - outright invunerability spells at the extreme, but also just taking the time to pile up huge quantities of artifacts, healing potions etc.

Of course careless play can still leave you dead rather fast, which is what these really need :)

Dangerous to generalise too much of course. Stone soup does seem perhaps a bit less 'fair' in some abstract sense than say *bands but it does also look to be a somewhat (much?) shorter game to play to a finish. So that likely balances out.

7hm

Scholar
Qwertilot said:
Dangerous to generalise too much of course. Stone soup does seem perhaps a bit less 'fair' in some abstract sense than say *bands but it does also look to be a somewhat (much?) shorter game to play to a finish. So that likely balances out.

I don't know about "fair" because I haven't played the *bands that much - just angband back like 10 years ago for a bit. The endgame in dcss can be quite long (someone ascended with like 137 runes I think?), but from what I've read it's not nearly as long as in some games. The max score comes from a 15 rune ascension, so after a certain point if you're going for score you just need to wrap it up.

It's gotta be tough to develop for a game like that - where you have a huge part of your players that can't make it past the early game, and another large contingent of players who can win consistently and thus want more challenge and end-game content. Builds have be very balanced all the way through. They've done a decent job of it (except armor, man it sucks in .7).

Damned Registrations

I was mostly referring to the fact that for an equal amount of skill/items invested into AC, you'll mitigate 2 or 3 times as much damage later on. I suppose maybe it's considered balanced because evasion sets let you cast spells too, but it's not like you'll find a lot of items with +EV and +int or wiz or stealth at the same time. On the other hand, every piece of glowing platemail or dragon hide out there has a fat pile of AC on it, and all you need to do to get more is enchant it and other pieces of gear. Makes it a lot easier to get AC + resists than it is to get EV + resists + not fucking platemail that negates your EV.

Zomg

Arbiter
30 EV + whatever cheap AC you can get on gloves and things to get an AC of 15-20 or so is pretty good. Like 50% or more of the ascensions on akrasiac from 0.6-0.7 were wearing robes of resistance. And most of the rest were randart robes or leather armor, or troll armor. Mostly you just have to have a good offense so it doesn't have to hold up for ages.

I think the secret of trolls is just going absolutely all out for unarmed combat. Turn off everything else but fighting and with no XP brancing to waste on anything but the main gun you can get tough enough to power through the midgame just relying on your HP pool to soak up damage (Makhleb helps a lot here, his HP-for-kills is great). And having 250+ hp in the late game is qualiitatively different than playing weenie races, you can do stuff like fight electric golems with no rElec without breaking a sweat.

7hm

Scholar
It sure is different playing a DDNe.

He's demolishing monsters in hand to hand and between Maklheb, Sublimation of Blood and Vampiric draining I've barely needed to use the wand of healing at all (good thing too, cuz it does shit all).

My concern is that I don't know what to skill into. He's found very few strong low-level spells outside of necro. I'm spamming conjure flame every chance I get to victory dance conjurations and fire now.

7hm

Scholar
Wanted to update the list of character combos.

Played waiting for update:
Anetka - Sludge Elf Transmuter
Malakal - Demonspawn of Jivya
Herp Derp - Deep Dwarf Necromancer
Jimmy - Spriggan Berserker

Upcoming:
unnamed - Mountain Dwarf Fighter
Monica - Kobold Wanderer
Slowpoke - Naga Transmuter of Chei
Reg the Damned- Mummy Arcane Marksman
Vlad - Vampire Reaver of Sif Muna
Arylath - Draconian Warper

If there's other combos to add, go for it.

Any new characters I play will be in trunk. Hopefully no crashes.

Zomg

Arbiter
Ghoul Monk of Yredelmnul. Terrible god which I hate. Enjoy.

7hm

Scholar
Malakal: Part 3 - Spriggans in the Forest

The Incredible Adventures of Malakal the Demonspawn Fire Elementalist of Vehumet

Part Three - Spriggans in the Forest

... in which Malakal works his way through the Lair.

el_57.png

We rejoin Malakal down on DL:12, where he is a heartsbeat from death. This is the first time in a while I remember fighting so many of these damn slime creatures and... they're not as easy as they look.

el_58.png

A couple blinks and judicious use of sticky flame gets Malakal off of death's doorstep. Time to rest and regroup.

el_59.png

Down on DL:13 Malakal finally finds the entrance to the Lair.

el_60.png

After wandering for a bit, Malakal finds the entrance to Swamp on Lair:2. Swamp is one of the branches (unlike Lair or the Orc Mines or Hive) that ends with a rune. In case you've been following the LP but not playing yourself, just a quick reminder here; you need 3 runes to access the Zot branch. You can get them from any of 15 different possible locations (you can get multiple runes from the abyss if you choose). Typically the rune branches have a very difficult final level.

In any case, that'll be for later. I've never even seen a swamp rune before, I hate that branch. Malakal is going to have to buff up big time before he goes there. :)

el_61.png

Further down in the Lair Malakal finds a forest. Dead center in the middle is a Spriggan cleric. The little vegetarian bugger doesn't seem too dangerous...

el_62.png

... and he isn't. It's those that weak musculature from a lack of delicious meat.

el_63.png

The entrance to Shoals. Damn. The way Crawl works is that there are three rune branches that can be accessed from the Lair - Shoals, Swamp and Snake. Only two of them will appear in any given game though. Both Shoals and Swamp have a lot of water and monsters with poison / confusion effects, and can be very dangerous. As I said, I haven't had a lot of success with them - where I have reached the end of Snake a few times, seen the rune twice and actually grabbed it once.

el_64.png

While quaff-ID'ing some potions Malakal drinks a potion of mutation and gets some extra features. Clarity is a really nice one, and as a monstrocity he was going to get horns anyway. +DX for a dodging character isn't a bad thing either - Malakal has good strength for a caster anyway.

el_65.png

And then after gaining a level (now level 13!) he gets a couple more. Oh wonderful! Everyone wants magic mapping! :sarcasm:

Bah. Stupid RNG.

el_66.png

Malakal took a break from the Lair to go grab a book from the shop. He picks up the book of frost and can now cast Throw Icicle.

el_67.png

Malakal's current spell listing.

el_68.png

Vehumet grants Malakal the first of the spellbooks. I already knew pretty much what it was going to be - Vehumet is very regular like that.
If you are eligible for a gift and 1d(Piety)> 100, Vehumet will give you Conjuration or Summoning books, whichever skill is currently higher for you. Conjuration gifts include a book of Conjurations, a book of Power, and a book of Annihilations, in that order. Summoning gifts include a book of Callings, a book of Summonings, and a book of Demonology, in that order. After those are exhausted, books from other groups are given. Vehumet will not give you any book that you already have.
The book ends up being conjurations [fire]. I consider getting Malakal to move into earth spells with stone arrow, but decide that fire & ice will be a strong enough base for now, and ice is going to take some XP expenditure.

el_69.png

Malakal finds the entrance to the Slime Pits on Lair:8. It's guaranteed, so nothing special. No chance of him exploring it now... the only reason to do so would be if I was going to switch to Jiyva and wanted an easy rune, but I've already decided to leave him for another game.

el_70.png

No cool fortress or portal to hell in this game. Lair:8's vault appears to be a corridor of dog based monsters, including a couple hell hounds. With Throw Icicle to handle the hell hounds and sticky flame to handle everything else the corridor is soon filled with dog corpses. Fairly dissapointing vault and ending to the Lair.

el_71.png

The Lair is pretty well cleared now, so Malakal decides to clear out some dungeon levels for a bit. And that's when he encounters Nikola.
Nikola is the midgame Sigmund! If you don't have rElec, go away. If you do have rElec, go away. In either case, just use curare. Kill him for his cloak and gloves and sabre of elec!
He shoots electricity at you, and he killed the only character I have who picked up a rune - a character who had immediately before that raped Mara and her copy of him. He scares the crap out of me.

el_72.png

Running from Nikola is not easy. Don't go into corridors or near walls unless you want to be hit by bouncing lighting.

Malakal burns a teleport scroll and gets the hell out of there.

el_73.png

It's a little boggart bastard.

Malakal gets the hell out of there.

el_74.png

el_75.png

el_76.png

Unseen horrors rape you if you don't have sInv, but they're easy to deal with if you do.

el_77.png

The situation on DL:16 (where that boggart sleeps still...) Not good for Malakal.

el_78.png

Still on DL:16. The situation is looking grim, but Malakal escapes with a scroll of teleportation.

el_79.png

Back up on DL:15 Malakal finds out that he missed out on a portal. Bah.

el_80.png

I just won't learn. Back on DL:16, I'm going to give these little bastards a run for their money.

el_81.png

Hah! Nobody escapes fire! (I think boggarts might be my favorite monsters so far, I love that take on low HP, frail spellcasters. Killing them is very satisfying.)

el_82.png

Now that he's cleared all the way to DL:16, Malakal realizes that he has probably skipped the mines somewhere. They're usually around DL6-10. So back he goes to find he didn't clear DL:10.

And thus he finds the mines a bit later than normal.

el_83.png

This is Malakal going into the mines. At level 14 and with his fire mastery and the AOE fireball spell, he should be able to handle them.

And this is where I end it for the night.

Tomorrow we'll see Malakal make his way through the mines and perhaps further.

Yeesh

Magister
<3 Marsha the Merfolk Transmuter <3

Shouldn't be hard, but I can't get it to work. But then I can't get anything to work.

I just got down to Dlvl 13. No shops at all, and all the way to the end of the lair with no poison resistance. I have a scroll of acquirement, and I'm tempted to use it for jewelry. But I know I'd get something lame. But that's unavoidable anyway. Bleh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom