Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Zomg

Arbiter
If you are on Swamp:5 - you are probably gonna have to kill Mara. You want to bring him near but not adjacent to an up staircase, so you can go up it, wait for his self-summons and ghost-you to disappear, then go back down and quickly kill him with Brothers-in-Arms and optionally a berserk (extremely dangerous, and Mara can blink, so only to steal the last hit from a bro to get full XP). He and his self-summons cast a fairly painful bolt of fire and you have no fire resist so it's gonna be dangerous.

If you are not on Swamp: 5 - Strategically: Skip the level, too dangerous with no rF. Tactically: Spam some bros to cover your escape. Use a blink scroll when necessary. I do not recommend burning your only teleport scroll if it can be avoided, having no teleport on you is terribly dangerous and only one scroll can easily put you in a worse position, but Mara could destroy it with a fire bolt too, so whatever use the force.

You are probably safe to quaff ID stuff since you have a clarity amulet. Otherwise a berserkitis mutation can ruin a melee character. Mages and archers can usually get away with it since only teleportitis is really bad and even that isn't completely crippling like berserkitis is.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I pretty much stand by my earlier recomendation, although if you only got one tele scroll, you might not need to use it, depending on how well your bros distract Mara. With any fire resist you don't want to try getting next to him, and 3700 xp isn't worth the risk compared to letting your minions take him out. Whether or not they can pretty much depends on what Mara casts and on who, but I wouldn't want to hang around a confused berserking stone giant myself. (Assuming his mislead spell simply confuses monsters, I don't know for sure what it'd do.)

And if they don't kill him, you can always come back later, preferably with tons of fire resist. I usually trip over rings of fire/ice or protection from such every 3rd level myself. Robes are common too.

Yeesh

Magister
Oh dear. I ran for it, and the run took forever. I was carefully exploring around the outside of the map when I ran into Mara, and I was at least 160 degrees away from the nearest stair. But there was nothing to be done for that, so I followed sage Codex and spammed some BROs (thrice) to cover my retreat and ran like a bitch. The BROs died really fast, thanks to my kickass ghost, and my getting away was doubly problematic since 1) I couldn't go in a straight line without cutting through unexplored area, and 2) my ghost levitates over water and I don't.

So I barely made it to the staircase, and lo and behold he followed me up. I didn't think summoned monsters did that. Also, it's been 82 turns since the ghost was created (did I mention I was really far from the stairs?), and I figured he would have vanished by now. Shouldn't he have? I had no plan for actually fighting him, but here I am, freshly arrived on level 3 which I did clear, and in grave danger from a monster who won't even have the decency to leave a corpse or XP if I prevail. Is this the time to blink?

fx723s.jpg

7hm

Scholar
I'd probably blink away yeah. Use brothers in arms again after the blink and run for it, possible blinking a second time if that's what it takes to get to the staircase with him more than a square away.

Edit: I've never regretted running away from something and living to fight it later. I've often regretted doing the opposite.

Zomg

Arbiter
Heh, I almost edited into my previous post that the Mara-clone version of you can follow up stairs, unlike a normal ghost (summons can usually follow you up stairs also). "Mindless" undead (skeltons and zombies) and player ghosts are the only things I can think of that never use stairs. I know too much shit about Crawl.

He'll poof eventually if you just keep kiting him, or you can drop some more brothers and interpose them between you. Probably worth a blink.

Damned Registrations

Might not need the blink, depending on where the stairs are. I can see an unborken line of solid ground to the right edge and the top edge of that screenshot. Ghost might poof by then. And he shouldn't be able to take a swing at you if you stick to the ground and always step away unless the illusion also has your wands or god abilities, which I doubt. Is there anytwhere on the level you could safely reach and then pillar dance around a tree without going through water?

Also, it's doubly weird that the ghost followed you, since it's a ghost, which is normally bound to levels.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just died in the Vaults to my own goddamn summoned executioner... Was playing demonspawn chaos knight of Makhleb with some magic added to the mix. Didnt work out that well honestly, I had difficulties killing stuff and had to rely too much on summons - in the end that killed me. Had a sweet set of mutations though, with demonic guardian, magic resistance, horns, metallic scales. Unfortunately up to level 18 when I died I didnt get the 3 level of demonic guardian, instead my breath levelled and so did MR.

I think I'll try deep dwarf necromancer now. Pity they removed the death knight class, it was made for them.

7hm

Scholar
Malakal: Part 4 - RIP Mr. Hawking

The Incredible Adventures of Malakal the Demonspawn Fire Elementalist of Vehumet

Part Four - RIP Mr. Hawking

...in which Malakal explores a number of branches and encounters a former adventurer.

el_84.png

We rejoin Malakal on Orc:1, where his sticky flame and fireball spells have made short work of the orcs who reside on this level.

el_85.png

The first real challenge that Malakal faces in the mines is the ghost of Mr. Hawking. Mr. Hawking is a dangerous opponent, so rather than immediately engage Malakal runs away to regroup.

el_86.png

el_87.png

The problem is that the dungeon leads directly down to Mr. Hawking, with no other stairs up or down except on Mr. Hawking's level.

In order to more fully explore the mines Mr. Hawking is going to have to dig.

el_88.png

The shaft Malakal dug out led to a dead end. There's nothing to do but face Mr. Hawking directly, or leave the mines for the moment.

Malakal decides to leave the mines and clear out Hive.

el_89.png

Malakal is having an easy time of Hive.

el_90.png

Vehumet grants Malakal a book - the third in the conjurations group - the book of Annihilations. Malakal won't be able to use these spells for a while yet.

el_91.png

Malakal continues to clear out the Hive. He's having a very easy time of it despite not having any rPois.

el_92.png

el_93.png

Malakal takes down the queen bee, and the rest of hive is just a matter of mopping up the dregs.

el_94.png

Malakal heads back down to the orc mines to take out Mr. Hawking's ghost.

Before doing that he enchants the dagger he's been forced to wield. Might as well use something decent if you're stuck with it, right?

el_95.png

el_96.png

el_97.png

Mr. Hawking's ghost puts up a heck of a fight, spamming Mephitic cloud and poisoning Malakal. But Malakal has the clarity mutation and isn't confused and has his own magic to spam. It burns most of his MP and a fair bit of food, but Mr. Hawking goes down to repeated fireballs.

el_98.png

el_99.png

Malakal finds a shop, but the only interesting item is self-cursing and not that great anyway. He decides to skip it.

el_100.png

Malakal finds the entrance to the Elven Halls.

The Elven Halls are, like the orc mines, filled with one monster type (Elves, who we haven't seen yet) and don't have a rune in the branch. They're a place to go to get experience, gold and items. Elf is similar to Lair in that the last level (Elf:7 in this case) is much harder than the level directly above it.

el_101.png

Malakal has now cleared Orc, and it's time to decide on his next step.

With Orc, Lair and Hive cleared, and the main dungeon down to about DL:15, he has a couple choices. He can:

a) Clear dungeon levels in the main dungeon, looking for the Vault branch.

b) Start clearing Swamp.

c) Start clearing Shoals.

d) Start clearing Elf.

el_102.png

I decide to send Malakal for a quick incursion into Elf, just to test the waters and see what the danger level is like.

el_103.png

el_104.png

Turns out elves are flammable.

el_105.png

el_106.png

Malakal finds a book shop.

el_107.png

el_108.png

el_109.png

el_110.png

These elves are sneaky bastards (I was really worried here... Malakal was down to his last MP and the last thing I wanted to do was burn a teleport scroll on a largely unexplored level of Elf).

el_111.png

Gamechanger right here. This is huge. It's not a coincidence that almost every time I've seen a rune I've had teleport control on my character and some method of casting or evoking Blink.

el_112.png

Some sort of cool vault down on Elf:2. Maybe it leads to hell?

In any case, Malakal isn't going to test his luck there just yet.

In fact, this is where we'll leave him.

Next up, continuuing to clear elf and then some main dungeon levels, trying to decide what the next step should be. Malakal would like some rP before heading into the swamps.

7hm

Scholar
After Malakal I think the updates are going to be quite a bit quicker through the early game. The current guy I'm doing I've got like 5 screens before he hits level 7 or 8.

I got sick of taking a hundred screenshots for a guy who dies before orc - though this is really only for guys I'm trying out myself. Anyone who's on the list for me to do I'm screenshotting.

Except Monica. I figure her getting gangraped by Yaks was enough - I wanted to do a spriggan berseker instead of a Kobold one.

Yeesh

Magister
7hm said:
Mr. Hawking goes down to repeated fireballs.
RIP. They always said the saddest thing is when you have to burninate to death again someone you used to be, but I never understood what they meant... until now. :salute:

7hm said:
Edit: I've never regretted running away from something and living to fight it later. I've often regretted doing the opposite.
I see now that these are words to live by in Crawl. I walked away one space at a time for as long as I could, hoping the ghost would poof. But even though I stayed on land, eventually I reached a place where his ability to hover over water let him cut a corner and I had no choice but to risk a hit or blink. And blink I did. Safe again for now, but I sure wish there were some easy place I could go to kill and find some more loot (an idea that's an anathma to the design goals of Crawl. But still, where can I go without resistances? It's not my damned fault I haven't found any).

EDIT: WAIT are there three stars to each level in the Orc Mines, so that if I can only see one it's worth mapping and digging to find those rings I've surely missed? Or can the first level or two just be small with one stairway in each direction?

7hm

Scholar
I'd probably only use magic mapping or digging once you've already cleared the levels through normal up / down stairs (or like me were stuck and wanted to find another option). Or if you have spare scrolls and there's a lot of map that you don't see.

But yeah, if you don't see three up / down stairs something is up.

On another note...

What should i acquire?

I got an amulet last time, but it sucked.

I think outside of a randart I'm good for my robe and I'm definitely good for my hat (this hat is $$$$$).

Will something of sustain abilities prevent me from losing stats to my degenarative mutation?

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.8.0-a0-5133-gcafb13c character file.

Lethem the Backstabber (Spriggan Enchanter)                                                                        Turns: 42158, Time: 04:05:34

HP  78/78        AC 10     Str  8 (9)  Exp: 16/166751 (3199), need: 19148
MP  38/38        EV 27     Int 21 (23) God: Ashenzari [******]
Gold 1148        SH 17     Dex 13 (17) Spells:  6 memorised, 23 levels left

Res.Fire  : + . .   See Invis. : +   B - +3,+2 dagger (curse)
Res.Cold  : + + .   Warding    : .   l - +2 robe {Archmagi}
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : +   i - +2 buckler (curse)
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .   d - +2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rF+ rC+ MR}
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : +   a - +2 cloak {darkness} (curse)
Res.Elec. : +       Spirit.Shd : .   (gloves unavailable)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .   (boots unavailable)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   y - cursed amulet of conservation
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .   D - ring of poison resistance
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .   g - cursed ring of protection from cold

@: very quick, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: unfitting armour, see invisible, deterioration 2, herbivore 3, speed 3, -10% hp, sense surroundings 1, slow metabolism 3, spit poison 1, AC
+1, Str +2, Int +3
a: Spit Poison, Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility

You are on level 10 of the Dungeon.
You worship Ashenzari.
Ashenzari is exalted by your worship.
You are very full.

You have visited 7 branches of the dungeon, and seen 35 of its levels.
You have visited 1 bazaar.
You have visited 2 portal chambers: sewer, ossuary.

You have collected 2703 gold pieces.
You have spent 1575 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 B - a cursed +3,+2 dagger (weapon)
 O - a +0,+0 short sword of distortion
Missiles
 N - 4 curare-tipped needles
Armour
 a - a cursed +2 cloak of darkness (worn)
 d - the cursed +2 hat of the Alchemist (worn) {rElec rF+ rC+ MR}
   (You bought it in a shop in a bazaar)   
   It protects you from fire.
   It protects you from cold.
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
 i - a cursed +2 buckler (worn)
 l - a +2 robe of the Archmagi (worn)
Magical devices
 b - a wand of digging {zapped: 2}
 k - a wand of disintegration {zapped: 3}
 r - a wand of flame {zapped: 3}
 u - a wand of frost
 v - a wand of slowing
Comestibles
 m - a bread ration
Scrolls
 c - 4 scrolls of identify
 f - 3 scrolls of curse jewellery
 n - a scroll of curse armour
 q - a scroll labeled KHAXZI BUYGG
 s - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 w - a scroll of blinking
 x - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon I
 z - a scroll of magic mapping
 A - a scroll of enchant weapon II
 F - 3 scrolls of fear
 G - a scroll of enchant armour
 H - a scroll of curse weapon
 I - a scroll of recharging
 L - a scroll of amnesia
 M - a scroll of remove curse
 P - a scroll of acquirement
Jewellery
 g - a cursed ring of protection from cold (left hand)
 y - a cursed amulet of conservation (around neck)
 C - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 D - a ring of poison resistance (right hand)
Potions
 e - a potion of porridge
 h - 4 potions of healing
 j - a potion of resistance
 o - 2 potions of brilliance
 p - a potion of magic
 t - 3 potions of levitation
 E - a potion of might
 J - a potion of heal wounds
 K - a potion of invisibility

You have 3199 experience left.

Skills:
 + Level 9 Fighting
 - Level 7 Short Blades
 - Level 2 Throwing
 + Level 15 Dodging
 + Level 14 Stealth
 - Level 16 Stabbing
 + Level 7 Shields
 + Level 7 Traps & Doors
 + Level 15 Spellcasting
 - Level 13 Hexes
 - Level 7 Ice Magic
 + Level 5 Evocations

You have 23 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Ozocubu's Refrigerat  Ice            #######...   Excellent   5    Strawberry
b - Ensorcelled Hibernat  Ice/Hex        #######      Excellent   2    None
c - Confuse               Hex            ########.    Excellent   3    None
d - Freezing Aura         Ice/Hex        #######...   Excellent   2    None
e - Enslavement           Hex            ########.    Excellent   4    None
f - Mass Confusion        Hex            ########..   Excellent   6    Honeycomb

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are tiny and cannot use many weapons and most armour.
You have supernaturally acute eyesight.
You are a herbivore.
You cover ground extremely quickly.
You need consume almost no food.
You are partially covered in colourless scales (AC +1).
You are agile (Dex +2).
Your mind is acute (Int +3).
Your body is deteriorating.
You are frail (-10% HP).
You passively map a small area around you.
You can spit poison.
Your muscles are very strong, but stiff (Str +2, Dex -2).

I know I need a new weapon pretty badly, but I didn't want to fuck around with remove / recurse stuff all the time.

The cool thing about ash is that I don't need to id any of my weapons, she does it when I pick them up now. I'm going to go scum the dungeon looking for one.

7hm

Scholar
So I got a randart, but it sucks. -2 STR, +2 Dex +1 Int.

But my spriggan has a body that rots away, and I can't risk -2 str. Bah.

Damned Registrations

If you're in Trunk negative stats don't kill you right away any more. Took a troll with 3 INT through part of the first dungeon sprint and ended up with -1 INT. I seemed fine at 0, but at -1 I started fainting on and off and eventually died (Forgot to breathe.) I'd assume the other two stats work similarly.

Of course, it's not exactly an awesome ring anyways. A net gain of 1 stat point is pretty laughable, and inventory space is every bit as valuable as dex or int if you got wands ad scrolls and potions that can save your life.

I'd have burned the scroll for a book personally, though jewlery was a good choice too, hard to do worse than a ring of ice resist. You can never have too varied a toolkit. For example, if you had the distillation spell you could make an assload of mutation potions from ugly things and quaff them until your hideous enchanter is at least not degenerating any more. Pretty much every school has something invaluable, like blink, abjuration, flight, conjure flame (New favourite fire spell, screw sticky flame, pillars of fire enemies won't walk into are fucking awesome.) airstrike for smite targetting with perfect accuracy and non elemental (Take that hall of blades), earth spells for killing statues or breaking walls, dispel undead, mephitic cloud, intoxication.

I remember there being some way of getting a list of all the items you've seen in the dungeon and travelling to them, is that still in the game? How do you do it? It's invaluable for finding equipment you were passing by before for lack of uncursing ability.

7hm

Scholar
For example, if you had the distillation spell you could make an assload of mutation potions from ugly things and quaff them until your hideous enchanter is at least not degenerating any more.

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! (though the last time I quaffed a potion of mutation it made it worse...)

In any case. :)

Ctfl-F to find things.

And I know you can't die as easily from stat death (you still can, it just takes a lot longer now, and you can go negative). That's from .7. But it's damn hard to play with 1 strength. That's as bad as it got with my guy before he managed to find a potion of restore abilities.

7hm

Scholar
Hah. End of swamp being a vault of undead hydras etc, + a very strong control undead = hilarious.

Damned Registrations

One potion of mutation is risky. But with a couple dozen chances are pretty good it'll work out to something decent before you can't fiddle any more. And at the very least you should be able to get the deterioration one gone. There's not much worse than that, especially for a character whose hands and feet might as well be claws and hooves anyways. Worst case scenario, it gets one level worse and you get mutation resistance so you can't keep dicking around. Best case scenario, you end up with some sweet positive resists and some irrelevant drawbacks.

7hm

Scholar
DamnedRegistrations said:
One potion of mutation is risky. But with a couple dozen chances are pretty good it'll work out to something decent before you can't fiddle any more. And at the very least you should be able to get the deterioration one gone. There's not much worse than that, especially for a character whose hands and feet might as well be claws and hooves anyways. Worst case scenario, it gets one level worse and you get mutation resistance so you can't keep dicking around. Best case scenario, you end up with some sweet positive resists and some irrelevant drawbacks.

Will a ring of sustain abilities prevent further deterioration or does that bypass it?

I've found some sweet randarts with this guy... I just need to grab some kind of method of teleport control + blink and I'll be perfect to die further than I've ever died before.

+8/+8 bow of speed, +3 dex, + sInv. So good for a different build. :)

I've now found a fourth scroll of acquirement on Vault:2. What in the eff. I'm unsure what to go for. Have a randart weapon, have randart armor, have randart jewelry, have a TON of books.

Damned Registrations

You could always stash it, or use it for gold. I'd imagine at some point gold becomes trivially easy to amass in Crawl, but I haven't had that much yet, and I can usually find half a dozen things in shops I'd buy if I had the coins to spare. An unidedintifed randart in a shop, after all, is at least a guaranteed randart, unlike wishing for something with the scroll. And a thousand gold or more buys a LOT of food and potions and scrolls.

7hm

Scholar
DamnedRegistrations said:
You could always stash it, or use it for gold. I'd imagine at some point gold becomes trivially easy to amass in Crawl, but I haven't had that much yet, and I can usually find half a dozen things in shops I'd buy if I had the coins to spare. An unidedintifed randart in a shop, after all, is at least a guaranteed randart, unlike wishing for something with the scroll. And a thousand gold or more buys a LOT of food and potions and scrolls.

I think I'm going to stash it.

I hate stashing them normally because I always die without using it, but I really don't think there's anything pressing.

Ring of sustain abilities seems to do the trick, and I found a couple randarts that give +6 combined STR as incidentals, so I'm a lot less worried about that now.

Yeesh

Magister
I was fortunate enough to find a platemail of poison resistance, so I'm very pleased (I try not to think about the fact that what drove me out of the swamp had nothing to do with poison at all).

But then I found a ring. I'm trying to ID it without wasting a scroll, so (among other things) I take off my armor of rP and try to eat a piece of hydra. I eat it fine. A-ha! says I, but the ring doesn't auto ID, despite this from the Wiki:

The ring of poison resistance will auto-ID if worn when attempting to eat a poisonous chunk.

So then I take the ring off and try to eat another chunk (my sole mutation is carnivorous 1, and I do love it). And I predictably get poisoned. So I put the ring on, and while it does not prevent poison damage, it does let me eat another chunk just fine. But it does not ID, and I do not see a + by Res.Poison:. It's not a randart, just a normal ring. Could it be anything but resist poison? Is the wiki just mistaken? Or am I doing it wrong?

Zomg

Arbiter
Might have been changed in 0.8, everyone that is nerd enough to update the wiki is nerd enough to switch to trunk as soon as it comes out.

Yeesh

Magister
Zomg said:
Might have been changed in 0.8, everyone that is nerd enough to update the wiki is nerd enough to switch to trunk as soon as it comes out.
Ha. But that strikes me as a stupid change. I thought the whole point of auto-ID is that once there's no other item it could be, voila. But it's irrelevant for me now, since the bottom of the Lair was a lootless joke, and the bottom of the Swamp is not poison at all, but ice (the wiki ominously calls this "the most dangerous Swamp ending." And while I have several flame brand weapons, none of them are axes. AND my cold resistance comes from the axe I DO use, which is also a cold brand. Fucking Trog.

This game is a lost cause. I don't have fire resistance, and on the other hand I can't deal flame damage. I'm going to go down into the Vaults to meet my death, solely because I've never been there before, then I'm going to smarten up and play a caster.

EDIT: Got to love mimics. Yeah, I'll bet that's a storm dragon hide lying there on the floor. Lucky me.

EDIT EDIT: No, it actually WAS a storm dragon hide. The joke's on me.

7hm

Scholar
Yeah certainly in .7 poison resist rings don't auto-ID.

In terms of the game I'm in now... I used the scroll of acquisition to get a weapon and got a +2 +2 katana. My SpEn is now rocking a +9+8 Katana. I burned all my scrolls of enchant on it - I figure I won't get anything non-randart that's any better. :)

I also picked up a +13, +4 demon blade on elf:5 (elf is only 5 levels now?), but it's got crappy effects (-1 to all stats).

Edit: if I can't ascend this guy there is something wrong with me. He just raped the Shoals.

Ashery

Prophet
Gotta love mimics. Met my first staircase mimic earlier today.

"Ah, there's the Hive, but isn't there usually a small honeycomb structure around the entrance, or at least a handful of bees?"

Fortunately I haven't run into one while trying to flee, but that's largely because a Chei worshiper doesn't really have an option to flee (Except by teleporting).

But damn, Nikola is a fucking bitch, especially when you walk around the corner and are right in his face. A couple teleports, a fight with half a dozen bears or so (Yay for enslavement wands), and a well used fog scroll later and I'm hidden in a small room with an emergency hatch ready to rest up. Lo and behold a fucking boring beetle (Or something that could take down walls) breaks into my safe room and exposes me to one of the main hallways for the level. Shouldn't be hard to guess who fucking manages to walk down that very hall before I'm up to 50% hp.

Needless to say, I'm thankful as hell that I kept those haste potions on me despite Chei disapproving (Along with a ring with rElec and a potion of resistance). Came out of that fight with a mere 7hp remaining.

In hindsight, I should've ducked into the hive instead of resting on the level as, even at 30% hp, bees are a complete non-issue thanks to slouch. Was hilarious watching slouch kill twenty odd orcs in a single cast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom