Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Sail The River of Time - 21 (Rat Diplomacy)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Right, adopting ghostdog's advice. Also trying to make updates a bit smaller overall, they might be slightly too big for a steady LP rate otherwise.

The moment Sayyid steps out of the tower, a man runs up.

trotupdate5_1.jpg

What the... it's the inconspicuous man we've seen around town.

gerlin.jpg
Sayyid ibn Nasreddin, stop... a word with you.

sayyid.jpg
I can't think of any reason why I'd talk to someone like you. Good day.

gerlin.jpg
Now, now! Not so hasty! I didn't mean to barge into this. First of all, let me explain how you came to my notice. How you mastered the last stages of your apprenticeship with old Brookbeard... that was just superb. And how you outwitted that Boron Deont... I must say, that was very cunning indeed.

sayyid.jpg
Spare yourself the charade, good sir, and get to the point. What is this all about?!

gerlin.jpg
I'll get to that in a moment. But the most revealing part was the story about that... Blood Wolf. Pity it didn't spare any of the smugglers. They could probably have given us lots of information.

sayyid.jpg
Blood Wolf? Smugglers? Right, I've had it! I want to know what's going on here. At once!

gerlin.jpg
My name is Gerlin and my... 'office' requires me to see to it that I am always well informed about things. To put it bluntly, I ... stumbled across you ... so to speak ... during my investigation of the pirate attacks.

Man, why can't we ever meet non-shady people out there?

sayyid.jpg
You're on the trail of the river pirates?! What were you able to find out, and what do these ... these smugglers have to do with it?!

gerlin.jpg
I don't know that myself yet, but I'm sure we'll find out soon. However, that is something we should discuss in a somewhat quieter location.

sayyid.jpg
You still haven't told me who you're working for.

gerlin.jpg
When you get your teeth into something you just don't let go, do you? Heh heh... I like that about you. However, I regret that I must keep this information from you... for now. We really should discuss this in a quieter location.

Man, he even chuckles? And look at that mustache! The only thing missing is a little "admiral Ackbar" medallion, and the "it's a trap" signal series would be complete.

sayyid.jpg
Blast his eyes, I'm not about to be intimidated by some fat, overdressed heathen dandy.

sayyid.jpg
Hm. All right, agreed. After you.

gerlin.jpg
Alright then. Follow me.

Different spellings of "alright" in back to back phrases. Sloppy? Nah.

trotupdate5_2.jpg

Oh yeah, here we go, back alley and everything.

trotupdate5_3.jpg

Liegemen, eh? I'M ON TO YOUR TRICKS!

trotupdate5_4.jpg

Aha! Now the...wait, cooperation?

jaakon.jpg
Cooperation? Isn't that rushing it a bit?

jaakon.jpg
I was only talking about exchanging information, nothing more.

trotupdate5_5.jpg

sayyid.jpg
*sneers* Oh good, an elf. No doubt her fairy magic and "senses" will be of great value to us all.

fayris.jpg
Gerlin has always had the right instincts so far. It...

gerlin.jpg
It's not up to us alone to make any decisions about a mutual plan, anyway.

trotupdate5_6.jpg

For a moment there I thought the game was just going to cutscene me into the next quest.

gerlin.jpg
So, what say you? Do we want to work together on this?

sayyid.jpg
No.

gerlin.jpg
But thou must!

sayyid.jpg
I don't trust you.

gerlin.jpg
So? A healthy dose of mistrust may be good, perhaps even essential! But mistrust us? No, that's completely uncalled for.

sayyid.jpg
You make me laugh: 'completely uncalled for'. How do I know you're telling the truth?

gerlin.jpg
You can't know that. You can't ever know that, not with anyone. You can only put my word to the test if you follow me. At least we didn't strike you down from behind like these river pirates.

Wow. Way to alleviate my concerns. Anyway, there's two dialog options here, and both of them say "ok I'll work with you" in different wording.

sayyid.jpg
Hm. If there's a chance of nabbing the pirates, I'm in. But remember: I'll be keeping an eye on you. Now tell me what you've found out.

gerlin.jpg
My sources tell me that a ship will dock in the harbor tonight, after the curfew. It's possible that stolen merchandise from the pirate attacks will be on board. Anyway, we'll take a close look at this situation.

sayyid.jpg
After the curfew? Isn't that too risky? The harbor will surely be monitored by patrols.

jaakon.jpg
Normally you would be right about that. However, according to everything we were able to learn, there won't be any patrols tonight.

gerlin.jpg
A tricky matter. The influence of the men behind this must reach farther than we supposed. The question now is... How far?

sayyid.jpg
It's no good. We'll only find out once we see the situation for ourselves. How do we want to proceed?

gerlin.jpg
As soon as you are ready, Jaakon will take you to our meeting place when darkness falls. We'll discuss the last details there and leave together.

sayyid.jpg
Ach, if that's all there is to it. That'll be child's play.

jaakon.jpg
Don't get your hopes up, Sayyid ibn Nasreddin. This will be anything but a walk in the park. Make sure you are really well-prepared for our mission... then meet me behind the tavern at the marketplace.

sayyid.jpg
This Jaakon is level-headed and smart. From his dress I would gather he is a mage like I am. His presence does help alleviate some of my concerns of this group.

sayyid.jpg
Of course. I'll prepare myself and then go to the tavern.

gerlin.jpg
Well then, that's everything... right? Please excuse me. I also have some preparations to make. Oh, and... keep a low profile... not one word to anyone about our mission.

trotupdate5_7.jpg

There's not much for me to do, preparation-wise. I clear out my inventory by selling some useless goods and head to the meeting point, where Jaakon is waiting.

jaakon.jpg
Excellent, you're here. Everything has been arranged. I'm pleased to meet someone from the magic workers' faction. I heard that your last teacher's methods were somewhat ... unorthodox?

sayyid.jpg
They certainly were. But I probably learned more in my short time there than I could have ever hoped to learn elsewhere.

jaakon.jpg
Heh heh. I think I know what you mean. I was at a rather orthodox and straightforward - not to mention boring - academy. I also learned a lot there. But let's drop this topic. Are you ready for our mission?

I am, but first I'd like to know a bit more of this Jaakon Zagor fellow.

sayyid.jpg
Can I ask you a personal question?

jaakon.jpg
Oh, I ... of course. You may.

sayyid.jpg
Your name sounds Fountlandish. May I ask where you learned the arcane arts?

jaakon.jpg
No, I don't come from Fountland originally, even if a large part of my family feels very at home there. I studied at the Hall of Mercury in Festum. I didn't stick with it very long there.

sayyid.jpg
Fountland seems like a touchy subject, for whatever reason. Best no to pry.

sayyid.jpg
What made you leave?

jaakon.jpg
Too little practical work, too much theory. I actually had looked forward to studying there. After all, the academy had a reputation for undertaking frequent expeditions to magical phenomena.

trotupdate5_8.jpg

sayyid.jpg
How about Gerlin? He hasn't let much slip so far. I still don't know who he is working for. Or you for that matter.

jaakon.jpg
And you won't get that information from me, either. Sorry. All I can tell you is that he is an outstanding friend and mentor, and that he never leaves any of his people in the lurch. He thinks very highly of you for some reason. I guarantee you that you can trust him completely. I even surmise that ultimately we are pursuing the same goals. That's all I can tell you about him.

sayyid.jpg
That Elf ... what was her name again? Fayris! How long have you known her?

jaakon.jpg
Fayris Lynxeye, she is a Half-Elf, to be exact. Why do you ask?

sayyid.jpg
I'm just curious. After all, you know more about me by now than I know about you. Well?

jaakon.jpg
Actually I began my service with Gerlin at just about the same time as she did. We met for the first time there. At first the teamwork wasn't as successful as Gerlin had hoped. But over the years we've overcome our differences to have a viable working relationship, as Master Gerlin likes to say. I think very highly of her. You won't find a better scout anywhere.

Oh, I see. You think very highly of her, eh? A working relationship, nudge nudge. I bet she randomly bursts into elvish song by the campfire, the ultimate sign of blooming love.

sayyid.jpg
About our mission ...

jaakon.jpg
Of course, the mission. Are you ready now?

sayyid.jpg
Yes. Let's get started, Jaakon.

jaakon.jpg
Now we're getting to the deadly serious side of things. We'll meet up with the others behind the Praios Temple after darkness falls. Let's go!

Sayyid and Jaakon discuss magic theory while the hours pass, as they wait behind the Praios Temple for Fayris and Gerlin to arrive.

But they don't...

trotupdate5_9.jpg

sayyid.jpg
Perhaps the harbor watch is on patrol after all and held them up.

jaakon.jpg
Out of the question. We would have seen them in that case. No, it must ... psst ... someone's coming!

trotupdate5_10.jpg

Fayris!

sayyid.jpg
By Rastullah, woman, put on some pants. This is an outrage!

fayris.jpg
Sayyid ibn Nasreddin, Jaakon! We ... Gerlin, he ...

jaakon.jpg
What's the matter with Gerlin? What happened?!

fayris.jpg
We were ... he wanted to check on something. The smugglers captured him, I ... I couldn't intervene.

jaakon.jpg
Curses! How could he be so careless?! Something ... must have rattled him. Could you see where they took him?

fayris.jpg
No, I ... I didn't want to endanger Gerlin in any way. One of them muttered something about 'the two big warehouses' and 'the only way into the harbor district'.

Ah, mutterers, the boon to RPG gamers everywhere.

jaakon.jpg
Hmm ... if we want to rescue Gerlin, we'll have to sneak through those warehouses whether we want to or not. Hurry! Who knows what they're planning to do with him!

sayyid.jpg
Hang on a moment. Not so fast. I don't like this.

jaakon.jpg
This is not a good time to dwell on feelings, don't you think?

fayris.jpg
Sayyid ibn Nasreddin, please. I sense that Gerlin is in great danger. If we still want to rescue him, we have to act now.

Oh right, I'm sorry, if the elf senses something I guess we have to go along.

sayyid.jpg
I warned you. Alright then: It's your mentor, so it's your plan.

And thus Fayris and Jaakon join the party (which means it's finally a party). Other followers so far were temporary and thus I could not access their stats or inventory. Not so for these two.

trotupdate5_11.jpg

The outrageously pantsless woman is a basic Elven ranger. Very skilled at healing, good with a bow, a natural for setting and disarming traps.

trotupdate5_12.jpg

Jaakon is a battle mage. Good store of AE, not a bad selection of spells, including the elven heritage spell Sleep of a Thousand Sleep.

trotupdate5_13.jpg

We immediately run into resistance.

fayris.jpg
Oh, no! Members of the smugglers? gang. How could they have followed me?

jaakon.jpg
We can speculate about that later. Hm, they haven't noticed us. Maybe they're only supposed to be lookouts while the ship is being unloaded.

We can speculate about that later = momma gung get spanked

fayris.jpg
I have an idea! What about if I set up a trap in the passageway, and then we lure them in there?

sayyid.jpg
A woman forwarding an idea? Hah! No wonder it is so useless.

sayyid.jpg
We can deal with them easily enough. Come on!

These guys aren't worth wasting traps on. Traps in general aren't necessary but do come in handy a couple of times. I guess this instance is just supposed to act like a tutorial of sorts.

trotupdate5_14.jpg

Sending out a thunderbolt welcome wagon.

trotupdate5_15.jpg

When adventure points dawn, they dawn...IN FIRE.

Wow, it really does work on anything.

trotupdate5_16.jpg

More of them near the marketplace.

fayris.jpg
We'll have to get rid of him first... Jaakon, knock him out with a 'Somnigravis' sleep spell!

Even though it's called Sleep of a Thousand Sleep in the spellbook, the translator stuck with the original name.

Anyway, another tutorial-esque remark. It's almost quicker to just kill him.

trotupdate5_17.jpg

Double rape flames.

trotupdate5_18.jpg

A whole troop of them here. Using traps here might be more sensible, but eh, charge!

trotupdate5_19.jpg

trotupdate5_20.jpg

Hah, he didn't even get close before being fried by a culminatio.

trotupdate5_21.jpg

The usual burning and maiming ensues. Picked out this screenshot as it shows Jaakon with "slight gangrene", a common poison effect early in the game. Any poison can be cured by Clarum Purum, which Fayris is casting, meaning treat poisons becomes effectively useless (treat wounds is similarly replaceable by a combination of Calm Body and Balm of Healing, but I never bothered, it's a bigger investment).

However, they locked that gate after passing through it.

jaakon.jpg
A dead end, great!

fayris.jpg
The gate was open earlier...

jaakon.jpg
... they're trying to cut us off! Quick, try another one!

trotupdate5_22.jpg

jaakon.jpg
It wouldn't have been worth it. You'd only have risked them harming Gerlin. He would have been proud of your discretion.

fayris.jpg
You're right, Jaakon. But I can't get it out of my mind. I should have at least found out where they were taking him.

jaakon.jpg
Then they might have caught you too. No, no... Don't worry, Fayris, we'll find Gerlin and rescue him.

trotupdate5_23.jpg

It is a quiet night, even for this sleepy town. Only the cats still prowl around, curiously witnessing the humans from their rooftop perches.

trotupdate5_24.jpg

And us, three comrade-in-arms. United to find our missing compatriot, indivisible in our goal.

trotupdate5_25.jpg

trotupdate5_26.jpg

trotupdate5_27.jpg

What?

trotupdate5_28.jpg

trotupdate5_29.jpg

trotupdate5_30.jpg

Well.

Fine then.

Because splitting up always works out well, right?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cenobyte said:
Side with Fayris :o

Oh I'm pretty sure he will, being a male and all that.
Poor Jaakon. :/

But this moment does indeed feel pretty forced and stupid.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
What's about to come caused quite a bit of butthurt in the German Drakensang forums... some people that played with a mage went after the mage, and people playing with an Elf went after the Elf... :smug:

That said, though, Fayris is definitely the most interesting companion of the two... pretty good voice-over in German as well.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oh guys. You narrowly avoid spoilers but do remember lots of people reading this LP have no played the game. Not that this plotpoint isn't easy to see coming if you've ever played an RPG/read a fantasy story, but still...

abnaxus said:
What's about to come caused quite a bit of butthurt in the German Drakensang forums...

That's kinda dumb. Not only is it pretty easy to see coming, the game autosaves for you, as you can see. The next autosave overwrite isn't until Thurstone I think, so it's not like you can't go back.

Update later. I'm working about three updates in screenshots ahead, I wasn't really planning to call a Codex vote on any choices in this game. I don't think it makes too much sense with this type of game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
trotupdate6_1.jpg

What the...

trotupdate6_2.jpg

Fortunately they miss.

trotupdate6_3.jpg

The villains step up.

smuggler.jpg
Tsk tsk ... always these puffed up snoopers who don't know when to quit. Now you'll pay the same price for your stubbornness as your friends did.

sayyid.jpg
Oh yeah?! If your accomplices are as talkative as you are, I'll still have plenty of time to save my friends.

trotupdate6_4.jpg

Two archers with - uniquely - incendiary arrows on their bows attack. The smuggler who talked to me was obviously trying to taunt my ass as he just wants to distract from attacking the archers. I'm not going for it though.

trotupdate6_5.jpg

Easy enough. But now what?

sayyid.jpg
By the false beards of the fake gods! My companions are in trouble! Both of them! But who di I aid?!

trotupdate6_6.jpg

sayyid.jpg
My brother of magic, Jaakon, went to the north. His control of the elements and minions is impressive. My instinct tells me he will be alright, at least for now.

trotupdate6_7.jpg

sayyid.jpg
But this elf, Fayris? She is only a woman after all, and without pants on, for that. I do not think Jaakon will forgive me if I just leave her to the hands of these smugglers.

Fayris it is!

trotupdate6_8.jpg

sayyid.jpg
I know! Hold on, I'm at your side!

trotupdate6_9.jpg

It's not exactly a well set-up trap. The first two smugglers are down as their backup (a smuggler and a mage) run in.

trotupdate6_10.jpg

And they don't last much longer.

fayris.jpg
I thank you, Sayyid ibn Nasreddin. Hurry! We have to go to Jaakon in the other warehouse. Gerlin is probably there, too!

sayyid.jpg
Agreed. Which way?

fayris.jpg
Through the back gate! Out to the harbor. If we access the other warehouse from there, we might have the element of surprise working to our advantage!

trotupdate6_11.jpg

Hmmmm. Four smugglers between us and the other warehouse.

fayris.jpg
Quiet! We'd better avoid alterting them...this is tricky enough.

She has a point. Fighting them will only slow us down. And from a gameist perspective: you get 10AP if you sneak past them, which is about the same as if you fight them. The River of Time does that a lot, often even giving you more AP (though not often more loot) for the non-combat paths.

trotupdate6_12.jpg

A mage patrols the waterside in a regular pattern, the thugs don't move. Not hard to avoid.

trotupdate6_13.jpg

He almost got us there! Narrow escape.

trotupdate6_14.jpg

Safely past.

trotupdate6_15.jpg

Fayris signals me back. As much as this sequence (understandably) angers some players, the way Fayris and Jaakon take point makes some sense since they're the professionals here. But they're clearly a bit lost without Gerlon.

trotupdate6_16.jpg

Speak of the devil. At least he still looks alive. Who's that guy standing by him, though? Dressed like a mage, looks like an arrogant and powerful individual. No guards near him. None needed?

trotupdate6_17.jpg

sayyid.jpg
That must be Jaakon! I knew he'd be fine.

trotupdate6_18.jpg

Jaakon immediately attacks the figure standing near Gerlon. That seems a bit rash, but maybe he knows more than us.

trotupdate6_19.jpg

trotupdate6_20.jpg

sayyid.jpg
The attack was completely blocked by his shield. Whoever this mage is, he is impressively powerful.

trotupdate6_21.jpg

trotupdate6_22.jpg

He calmly, if not dismissively, counters with a ball of lightning.

trotupdate6_23.jpg

trotupdate6_24.jpg

sayyid.jpg
May Rastullah accept his soul. Poor Jaakon, he clearly underestimated his opponent there.

trotupdate6_25.jpg

trotupdate6_26.jpg

sayyid.jpg
What?

trotupdate6_27.jpg

sayyid.jpg
I hate to even think it, but he's right. Jaakon attacked him first. Even considering this man is holding Gerlon, "why did you do that" is a really dumb question, woman.

regismound.jpg
If the ladies and gentlemen would excuse me now, I have other duties to attend to.

trotupdate6_28.jpg

He walks off, dropping...something on the ground.

trotupdate6_29.jpg

The blue light is pulling bits of trash from the piles around the warehouse. Constructing...something.

trotupdate6_30.jpg

sayyid.jpg
Pull yourself together, woman. Something is happening.

trotupdate6_31.jpg

trotupdate6_32.jpg

This... this is the new shit.

trotupdate6_33.jpg

Not counting this blood wolf fight, this is the first "boss" fight. He has 200VI (on normal difficulty) and wide-sweeping attacks that hit anyone within an arc. He also causes fear. However, what makes this fight a breeze is that he's susceptible to fire attacks, being made out of (primarily wooden) junk. And "coincidentally" I just picked up incendiary arrows for Fayris, and I've got some firepower myself.

trotupdate6_34.jpg

Equipping the pantsless one. Notice the armor is marked in red. In TRoT, you can freely switch out items (weapons/ammo) between characters and equipped/unequipped in combat and not lose a beat. But using an item (like a potion) takes a turn, and you can't switch out any armor items at all.

trotupdate6_35.jpg

Catches fire immediately. But the golem heads straight for Sayyid.

trotupdate6_36.jpg

Sayyid is overcome by fear, lacking the willpower to resist it. This takes him out of combat for 10 seconds, and then golem immediately turns to the skeleton. The skeleton is of course immune to fear, and can take quite a bit of damage from the golem, so this is pretty advantageous to us.

trotupdate6_37.jpg

Chipping him down.

trotupdate6_38.jpg

Both the skeleton and golem are right near to collapse.

sayyid.jpg
Burn in Rastullah's holy flames, monster!

trotupdate6_39.jpg

The summoning spell breaks up, scattering junk and knocking down Sayyid.

trotupdate6_40.jpg

Fayris ran off, crying over Jaakon's still body. He's gone.

sayyid.jpg
A pity, such magical potential. Still, even as she now breaks down as the woman she is, I was impressed that Fayris could set her feelings aside long enough to fight the golem. She did well. For a female.

Since Fayris is useless right now, we free Gerlin. He's still alive, fortunately.

gerlin.jpg
Coldstone. I... I was too careless. I'll never forgive myself.

fayris.jpg
You shouldn't talk like that. It wasn't you who killed Jaakon, it was that heartless criminal.

sayyid.jpg
Anger and sorrow will not bring us closer to our objective. If we wish to honor the sacrifice Jaakon made for us, we should think hard about how to continue.

fayris.jpg
You are right, of course. Although his loss has left a void in our hearts, we must not become careless. His courage should be an example to us.

Fayris recovered from her emotional distress fast. Professional. As for Sayyid, he liked Jaakon well enough, but this Coldstone is one powerful magician. It'd be interesting to learn more about him.

sayyid.jpg
Is 'Coldstone' the name of the man whom we have to thank for all this' What part does he play in this matter?

gerlin.jpg
That's the big question I don't have an answer for... not right now, anyway. I don't know much about him. But I will remember his face... and his name. We've clashed before, during my youth.

sayyid.jpg
Clashed?

gerlin.jpg
Yes, it was a trivial matter during my service, an... irregularity. I can't even remember exactly what it was about. But I'll get to the bottom of it, even if I have to examine every document from my service days.

sayyid.jpg
Don't you think that it's time to admit who you're actually working for?

fayris.jpg
If I had been allowed to make the decision, I would have told you already. It's just that Gerlin...

gerlin.jpg
Gerlin promised his master that he would mention him only if absolutely necessary. Count Growin of Ferdok - in person - instructed us to get to the bottom of the pirate attacks.

Growin! That's interesting. From the manual:
Count Growin of Ferdok
Some were surprised when Emperor Hal made the young, but capable Dwarven warrior Growin son of Gorbosh Count of Ferdok. It is much easier to imagine the portly Dwarf enjoyinh Ferdok beer at the smithy rather than at his escritoire. He is extremely popular with the people and a great patron of Imman. He prefers to travel in a sturdy coach, rather than horseback, although he generally avoids any other unnecessary expenditures from his well-filled coffers

Nobody manages money quite like a dwarf. If he sounds like good people from that description, it's because he is. But, as the manual and game both mention, that fat slob of a baron Dajin expected to be made count of Ferdok when the title became available, but was passed up for the dark horse, Growin. The pieces of the puzzle are clicking together.

sayyid.jpg
So what happens now? That ship's hardly going to make an appearance after tonight.

gerlin.jpg
Well... the actual reason I ended up being taken prisoner was a conversation behind a courtyard wall - and I was able to overhear by accident while on the way to our meeting point.

trotupdate6_41.jpg

gerlin.jpg
When they stopped talking, I climbed over the wall to see what was in the chest. I was so eager to catch a glimpse of it that I didn't notice I wasn't alone on the other side of that wall. I felt a blow on the head and... woke up here.

And honestly, it all broke down from there. I'd question their professionalism, but that's how it goes with plans.

sayyid.jpg
And? What was in the chest?

gerlin.jpg
I didn't get to that, more's the pity. But we still have the following clues: The initials SB were carved on the chest. I suspect that SB could be the Commandant of the Tollgate, Stitus Bloomfold.

Wait, the initials SB. Remember the letter we uncovered earlier?

trotupdate4_28.jpg

Crap. So all we got out of all this is a clue that I actually already had but never showed to Gerlin? Shit.

sayyid.jpg
Stitus Bloomfold, interesting. What's the plan this time?

gerlin.jpg
Fayris. I want you to accompany our new lady friend here. If you see that she trusts someone, you trust that person too.

sayyid.jpg
Hmmmm. An elf. A woman. I'm not enthused. Still, she has potential. But just the two of us against whatever pirates, guards and mages we might face won't work...

sayyid.jpg
Ah, speaking of which: I'm traveling with three well-heeled merchants who are also in search of the pirates. Something extremely precious has apparently been stolen from them.

gerlin.jpg
Yes, I know these gentlemen. You can tell them everything. You must go to the Tollgate and find out what the connection is between Commandant Bloomfold, the smugglers and the pirates.

sayyid.jpg
Well, I don't really know. I don't really want to get any more involved in this than I absolutely have to.

gerlin.jpg
As I said from the start: we are all in this together. Unfortunately, I fear that in the meantime, you and your wealthy merchants are in this up to your necks.

sayyid.jpg
Hm ... perhaps. I've got to keep going, if only to prevent my friends from being left in the lurch. We've got to get to the bottom of this, for better or for worse.

fayris.jpg
Yes, we shall - It should be a laughably easy task for us to find out what that Toll Commandant is up to.

gerlin.jpg
Excellent! I'll journey to Ferdok to report on the night's events and what we've found out so far. And I will do everything in my power to find out all I can about Coldstone. May Phex be with you until we meet again!

sayyid.jpg
I hope you'll find some answers. Take care of yourself, Gerlin.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Killed by a Culminatio... which according to the game rules only does 1d20 + 5 damage... like Irenicus, Coldstone cheats bigtime. :salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Great stuff do far !

Although I would expect more extremeness from such a face :
sayyid.jpg

EDIT: Oh, you're using photobucket. prepare for upcoming bandwidth rage.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
ghostdog said:
Although I would expect more extremeness from such a face :
sayyid.jpg

I try to add some typical Rastullah-worshipper thoughts in the cursived bits, but really the game doesn't allow too much in way of extreme choices, it basically forces you to be a fairly good guy. Can't be helped.

ghostdog said:
EDIT: Oh, you're using photobucket. prepare for upcoming bandwidth rage.

At 22%. It's a force of habit. At least the interface is ok, but yeah, it's a bit suck.

Monocause

Arcane
Brother None said:
I try to add some typical Rastullah-worshipper thoughts in the cursived bits, but really the game doesn't allow too much in way of extreme choices, it basically forces you to be a fairly good guy. Can't be helped.

I actually don't really mind that. Found that I prefer it to false choices leading to an alignment shift that means jack shit. If you're going to make an evil or the p. tough guy who don't(...) path through the game make it count by branching the story accordingly or just make it plain cool/fun (like ME collar-grabbing).

Whole RoT has a fairy tale vibe and EXTREME doesn't really fit in, much like in Divinity 2.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Metamage is as extreme as it gets, walking around with a summoned skeleton in the Praios Temple... still, it might be explained by the game taking place a decade before the return of Borbarad, when the Praios Temple wasn't yet that hardcore.

lightbane

Arcane
This game looks better and better, now I'm really considering geting it. Is it a bugfest like Neverwinter Nights 2 or something?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
"Not extreme enough" be as it may, you can't argue Sayyid isn't one cold sumbitch.
trotupdate6_25.jpg

trotupdate6_26.jpg

Look at that uncaring bastard. He's all "bitch, please".

abnaxus said:
Metamage is as extreme as it gets, walking around with a summoned skeleton in the Praios Temple... still, it might be explained by the game taking place a decade before the return of Borbarad, when the Praios Temple wasn't yet that hardcore.

I'm glad it does. I'm not too familiar with TDE post-Borbarad's Return, and always enjoyed TDE's whimsical setting.

lightbane said:
This game looks better and better, now I'm really considering geting it. Is it a bugfest like Neverwinter Nights 2 or something?

As bug free an experience as I've ever had. Some customization by way of increasing the walking speed is advised, but for a first playthrough the standard walking speed is fine. The only errors I ever encountered were in sloppy localization, but as you can tell the English is mostly fine. Camera isn't the best but not nearly as annoying as NWN2's camera.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Besides the RTwP combat this game has a really high quality level. The (german) VO is excellent, graphics are beautiful and I didn't encounter any crash at all.
A shame Radon Labs went under, they learned their lesson after DraSa 1.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
RK47 said:
When I see your face.. There's nothing that I won't change.

So you'd change everything? :?

Onwards!

The night passes. Gerlin takes Jaakon's body with him to Ferdok, to have shipped to his remaining kin in Fountland. Sayyid and Fayris see him off before heading back into Nadoret.

fayris.jpg
So what now, Sayyid ibn Nasreddin?

sayyid.jpg
Well, perhaps you and I could spend some time to better get to know each o... no! By Rastullah! What is this I'm saying? Your nakedness is starting to corrupt me with impure thoughts, by Rastullah! Put some pants on!

fayris.jpg
Eh... I... uh... well, Gerlon did give me Jaakon's equipment before shipping him off, including his clothes...

sayyid.jpg
By the almond eyes of Khabla, put them on, woman!

fayris.jpg
But... Jaakon's pants?

sayyid.jpg
It will be honoring his memory! Do it!

At least the temptation is over. Though honestly, the 62nd law of Rastullah (there are 99 in total) states "The Godfearing shall avoid women and exchange with them neither words nor looks if they have not entered into marriage with him". If you follow all of Rastullah's rules (including a set of rules on food) the Godfearing become nearly impossible to play, so most players do not. Besides, I'll just consider Fayris a possible candidate for Sayyid. At least there's no lizard people in this game, Novadis hate those.

The two head out to do some training. I picked up defensive combat stance for Sayyid (+2 PA as long as it's active and your endurance doesn't run out). It's not very useful for mages so it's the only rank I'll pick up, and the only combat skills I might want for him are feint and knock down.
Fayris already knows the offensive stance for when she resorts to knives, but I want to keep her on her bow, really.
We'll head on to Ardo and friends in a bit, first let's waste some time on sidemissions. Particularly, Huckster Olbin has a bunch more packages to deliver around town. I guess it serves as a way to encourage you to look around if you didn't before. First stop: a package for the miller. On the way there...

trotupdate7_1.jpg

That's odd. Those fireflies weren't around before. Nor were those nests you can see to the left. They don't seem hostile though, so let's let them be.
(Nature classes will have seen them before, but not mages)

sayyid.jpg
I have a delivery from Olbin for you.

trotupdate7_2.jpg

The packages send Sayyid all over the map, including to Laurelin and Tailor Marcusi. But it's when we deliver a package to the quartermaster that we see something interesting...

trotupdate7_3.jpg

There's someone in the prison! Let's talk to the guard...

townguardsman.jpg
This lunatic has bred fireflies again, which are threatening the populace!

sayyid.jpg
Oh ... um ... that's the beekeeper, isn't it?

What? How would you know?

beekeeper.jpg
Oh, no. Did you have to remind me? I had just forgotten about it, but now all the memories are flooding back! My poor, sweet little bees! Who are you bringing your honey to now, I wonder?

sayyid.jpg
Your 'sweet little bees' are mature fireflies.

trotupdate7_4.jpg

townguardsman.jpg
Play?! They're dangerous monsters that could attack our farm animals or even our children at a moment's notice!

They didn't seem that aggressive or dangerous to me...oh well...

sayyid.jpg
I can take care of the firefly plague!

beekeeper.jpg
Do you really want to do that? That is excellent! You have to find the nests with the queens in them and slay them. Otherwise they'll multiply and we won't ever be able to get them back under control again.

sayyid.jpg
How many nests are we talking about here?

townguardsman.jpg
If I paid close enough attention to his prattling, then there should be ten queens. They primarily nest in trees. If you bring me all ten stingers, there'll be a reward waiting for you!

sayyid.jpg
I'll buzz off then.

Haha! Get it?!

This quest is a bit dumb but what the hell, I'm in no rush. A bunch of packages in I return to Olbin for the next one...

trotupdate7_5.jpg

Cool. Nice cash reward.

trotupdate7_6.jpg

Getting to the fireflies, there's ten nests as the guard said, spreads in the outskirts. Break open a nest to release the queen, kill the queen for a stinger. All the fireflies nearby turn hostile but honestly, they're the very weakest creatures in the game. Still, they provide 1AP for level 2 characters, so let's grind!

trotupdate7_7.jpg

Fayris hits the third level first. The River of Time doesn't give AP for killing creatures well below your level, and at level 3 already she stops getting AP for killing the normal fireflies.

trotupdate7_8.jpg

Pretty boring stuff really.

trotupdate7_9.jpg

And Sayyid is up.

trotupdate7_10.jpg

The fisherman doesn't even bother to look over his shoulder at a mage, an elf and a skeleton fighting giant fireflies. Guess it's a regular event around these parts.

Anyway, the nests at the bridge are the last.

townguardsman.jpg
Were you able to eliminate the danger?

sayyid.jpg
I got rid of all of the queens. Here are their stingers.

beekeeper.jpg
Very nice, all of the little bees are dead, hee hee hee ... now there won't be any more honey and everyone will miss the beekeeper. But he's no longer here. No, he's veerrryy far away now. Bzzz, bzzz ...

sayyid.jpg
I hope you'll be happy there ...

townguardsman.jpg
Thank you very much for your help! Take this as a reward for your trouble.

Two more ducats. Soon Sayyid will reach his life's goal of being able to afford to keep seven wives.

fayris.jpg
I hope that his monster breeding days are finally over. There's no one around here to give him any silly ideas!

Perhaps. A short stop at Master Brookbeard's to buy a Black Magician's Robe later, we're walking through the streets when suddenly...

trotupdate7_11.jpg

kostan.jpg
Thanks be to the Twelfgods! Finally someone who looks strong and able! I ... we, oh, what am I saying: All of Nadoret is in danger! I need someone to take care of these filthy creatures right away!

sayyid.jpg
Keep calm. Tell me, what kind of 'creatures' are we dealing with here?

kostan.jpg
Wolf Rats! Giant Wolf Rats! A terrible infestation threatens to overrun us if they escape!

sayyid.jpg
Giant Wolf Rats. Hhm. I'll see what I can do.

kostan.jpg
I'll never forget this favor! But you should know that these specimens are unbelievably large and strong, because they've ... well ... eaten something magical.. A young breeding female rat has already escaped. It's unthinkable what would happen if the dominant male rat got out, too. He is incredibly wild and strong, a terrible beast!

Oh, Frith. People who played Drakensang: TDE have met this female rat at an old age. What a horror those rat tunnels were...

kostan.jpg
I had already hired some mercenaries, but they were unsuccessful! I gave them the last money I had. They still have it on them, that and their armor will be your reward! But be warned. I can't take any risks, that's why I'm going to lock the door behind you and only open it when the dominant male rat has been killed! You must be really well-prepared! Let me know when you're ready, then I'll bring you to the infested cellar.

Hah. Yeah, no, no way I'm doing this quest right now with a party of two. I'll be back for it later.

On to Ardo. But first, one more delay as it's time to talk with Fayris for a bit...

fayris.jpg
How can I help you?

sayyid.jpg
What do you think about the lay of the land?

fayris.jpg
My opinion? Well, we should get to the bottom of the matter about the corrupt tollkeepers, while Gerlin tries to find something out about this Coldstone. I ... I miss Jaakon's advice.

sayyid.jpg
Why don't you tell me something about yourself.

fayris.jpg
I come from a town called Thunderbrook. Elves and humans live together in complete harmony there. That's why it was also completely normal for me to move among both populations. I learned archery and hunting from my father early. Then I had an incisive experience. My father kept getting older, but I didn't age because of my Elven blood. When he died, I became interested in exploring foreign lands.

trotupdate7_12.jpg

fayris.jpg
So I settled in a small woodland near the Kosh and earned my living with tracking game and as a guide over the mountain passes. That's where I met Gerlin. After I accompanied him on a dangerous mission, he hired me often. I think he values my discretion.

sayyid.jpg
What was the nature of your relationship with Jaakon?

Mr Sensitive there.

trotupdate7_13.jpg

Changing the topic quick.

sayyid.jpg
Is it something special to be Halfelf?

fayris.jpg
I have the virtues of both races in me. My mother's magic and my father's hardiness. Yet many humans and even Elves are full of prejudices.

sayyid.jpg
We shall consider her candidacy for joining my hareem as remaining open.

trotupdate7_14.jpg

His friends have joined him now. They were wandering around the town before, not sure what they were trying to accomplish, but it's time for me to bail 'em out...

ardo.jpg
Ah, there you are. Did you find anything useful?

sayyid.jpg
That's more than useful. A certain 'Gerlin' approached me. He's on a secret mission to track down the river pirates.

This closes down the "gather useless rumors on pirates" quest if you haven't yet, for obvious reasons.

ardo.jpg
Gerlin, you say? Never heard of him. What does he have to do with this' And who is this with you?

fayris.jpg
My name is Fayris Lynxeye. I am with Gerlin - and in his name I would like to help you in your search for the pirates.

ardo.jpg
Fayris Lynxeye. Hmm. That's all very well ...

sayyid.jpg
I think we can trust Gerlin. He suspected that a band of smugglers were taking goods from the pirate attacks from here further inland.

fayris.jpg
That's right. Your friend helped me and my partner Fayris Lynxeye explore the docks one night to try and find out about this contraband.

forgrimm.jpg
Well, well. So we're supposed to trust these people ... hmm. Did you find anything suspicious' Were smugglers there?

sayyid.jpg
Were there! We were instantly ambushed several times. We had to rescue Gerlin, as he was being held by the smugglers and a magician called 'Coldstone'. Unfortunately one of Gerlin's men was killed in the attempt, whereas Coldstone was able to use his magic to escape.

forgrimm.jpg
Hmm. What have we gained if he escaped? We still don't know where these pirates have their hideout. If this keeps up, we'll never... get the stolen merchandise back.

sayyid.jpg
Well. It's not at all certain whether the smugglers and this Coldstone have anything to do with the pirate attacks. Gerlin was, however, able to overhear a conversation that linked the commandant of the local Tollgate with the smugglers.

cano.jpg
The commandant of the Tollgate, you say? Hmm... Perhaps we should pay the gentleman a visit, what do you think, Ardo?

ardo.jpg
Aye... I think we should see what's what there. What about you? Are you going with us?

sayyid.jpg
Of course I am! What did you think? Fayris, are you coming too?

fayris.jpg
Gerlin wanted me to help you with your investigations, anyway, so I'll help you with this, too. I'm happy to go with you.

ardo.jpg
Right, then it's settled. We'll meet at the docks.

trotupdate7_15.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hah, yeah, there's something weird about the wooden expression and the hand gestures.
Are you playing at a lower graphic setting? It looks so strange, I recall Drakensang 1 looks much sharper than this. And the grass. Ugh.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
RK47 said:
Are you playing at a lower graphic setting? It looks so strange, I recall Drakensang 1 looks much sharper than this. And the grass. Ugh.

First few updates are on high. Last few are with high-res textures turned off, and most other options set to medium. It looks much better at max settings, particularly with high-res textures in, but I didn't feel like dealing with the loading times. I can pop em back in I s'pose.

Cassidy

Arcane
Related to the latest update: Elves have the worst training/initiation quests of all starting archetypes/classes. Coincidence?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cassidy said:
Related to the latest update: Elves have the worst training/initiation quests of all starting archetypes/classes. Coincidence?

Pretty much. But you know what's worse? The Nature intro is for the three elven classes (ok sure), the dwarven Geode (works for me) and the friggin' dwarven Prospector. The Prospector gets nothing out of it since he already knows the skills Laurelin teaches, and then he gets an item at the end that is of absolutely no use to him as opposed to the class-specific item upgrades the others get.

It's like Radon Labs was randomly targeting people who play Dwarf Prospectors to :x the fuck out

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Trying very hard not to spoil myself too much. I really want to buy this game, but not sure where to get it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Depends on where you live. US/Canada can get it from digital download via GamersGate, Impulse, Amazon or Steam. Europeans best import the English version from the Benelux via Azur or FRS. Azur has a flat shipping rate of 4 EUR within the EU and 15 EUR worldwide. FRS has variable shipping rates and might be more expensive or cheaper depending on the region.

PS: next page?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's unlocked the moment you finish the Mad Beekeeper.

I delight in thinking of all the noobs used to level scaling that just dive into that fight and get slaughtered :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom