Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

lightbane

Arcane
:lol: :lol: With the dart board, I love the writing so far. Continue your good fight, Bee!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks for the feedback! :P

Fowyr said:
Crooked Bee said:
I don't know if those areas have any "official" names; if they do and someone knows them, do tell.

Check the last page of manual.
URTAS - Sanctuary of the Ancients
URLASAR - Sanctuary of the Village
URMOR - Sanctuary of the Deepening Night
URLUSAM - Sanctuaries of High Vault Ceilings
URRAN - Sanctuaries Beyond Reason
URSHAS - Sanctuary of the Dragon
UREAL - Sanctuary of Twisted Paths
URTEHLN - Sanctuary beneath the Pyramid
URZHUT - Sanctuary of the Great Engineer
URQOL - Sanctuary beneath the Cube
URQASTUR - Sanctuary of Adron's Legions
UROQLAMN - Sanctuary of Adron's Palace
URXASZEL - Sanctuary beyond the Beacon

Thanks. :oops:

torpid said:
Damn, so those giant bats are glass cannons it seems: they deal huge damage but die easily. Or is Kalos just that good?

The former. They're pretty vulnerable to both magic and melee.

kazgar said:
Can Rocket use the Scimitar now?

Nope, not yet. :/

spekkio

Arcane
Larchwood staff?

:smug:

Good job (and plenty of luck) as always, Bee-chan...

:love:

torpid

Liturgist
Bump

any updates this weekend?

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER
inception_still1.jpg

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
12: Faith

In which we solve the riddle of the secret door and obtain Sagaris' wand.

Previously on this LP, we started exploring the northern part of the High Vault Ceilings area, defeated various kinds of enemies, and Lord Rocket leveled up. This time -- well, this time we'll continue doing the exploration. Let's see where the dungeon leads us!

We exit the URLUSAM sanctuary, turn north and then continue east:

Suddenly, enemies appear!

:o

Hmm, four regular skeleton and two stronger ones.
Kalos the priest turns undead -- follow the little red light, yay!

Oh wow. One skeleton killed straight away, and three more severely wounded. The stronger ones aren't damaged though.
Bee finishes one of the regular skeletons off:

:salute:
Another one runs away:

Kalos tries turning undead again, but only slightly wounds one of the Armed Skeletons. Another one hits at Lord Rocket for 8 hp, and is revealed for what he is: a Skeletal Phantom.

We politely ask spekkio to cast AMRASMUR since fire seems to be pretty efficient against all things undead. It does indeed damage the Phantom, and then Rocket attacks it for 12 hp:

The remaining regular Skeleton runs away. :roll: Only two Phantoms left.

Oops, wrong. Only one Phantom left. :P
Kalos turns undead yet again:

Hmmm, not bad. Lord Rocket misses though.
Bee strikes at the Skeletal Phantom for 5 hp. And then...

...Rocket is stunned. :decline:
Kalos' turn undead and spekkio's AMRASMUR are the only really efficient attacks in this fight, so we continue using them. The Phantom doesn't quite like that though:

I tried to position Kalos farther away from the Phantom, but failed.
spekkio casts SEL to boost our armour now that the Phantom is too close to our weakest characters. After that, however...

...the Phantom flees.

Still, we earn lots of experience:

The amount of experience we get is sometimes totally disproportionate to the diffuculty of the battle, I must say. This fight hasn't been particularly challenging, and the stronger enemies have all run away, and yet we get a lot of experience. Why? It is a mystery.
We also obtain an Axe for loot:

Lord Rocket picks it up.
And we're movin' on.

We approach the eastern door.

Let's enter it.

It looks like this section isn't often visited these days.

To the south is a door. We approach it.

Footsteps, you say?

Oh, an evil wizard!

spekkio casts SEL to improve our defense, and Rocket hits the Robed Man hard. The Robed Man tries hitting Rocket in return, but misses.
Kalos recites RALKOR:

And the poor Wizard is almost done for.

We obtain some experience:

As well as some coins and a chrome key:

Good.
There's nothing of further interest in this room, so we continue east and then turn south:

At the end of this corridor, there's yet another door:

We enter it.

Scary!
There's a secret door here:

:incline:
We try looking for a secret device to open it, but to no avail. Then Lord Rocket attempts barging into the door -- but it won't budge. It looks like HOYAMOQ is our only option:

Next HOYAMOQ doesn't quite go as planned, however:

We quickly heal Kalos up with SHUMMUR and recite HOYAMOQ again. After two successful prayers, the secret door finally opens:

Behind it is a corridor and an inscription:

Let's Read it, then!

A hint, eh?
A teleporter is down the corridor:

Pushing different letters teleports you to different locations.
I had a randomness fit and so didn't write down just which buttons I pressed. Whoever uses this LP as a walkthrough, now or in the future, won’t find this bit particularly helpful, I’m afraid. :roll: Oh well.

First we find ourselves in a small room...

...with an inscription:

spekkio casts NGOSMUR to translate it:

"My second of the aftermath -- the cooling of the kill". Hmmm.
This room has a similar teleporter. We press "A" (screenshot captured this time)...

...only to find ourselves in another small room with another inscription that we translate with NGOSMUR:

"My first was of the forming -- and lies forever still".
Back at the teleporter, we press some other random buttons. :oops: And yes, find ourselves in yet another inscription room:

spekkio uses NGOSMUR again:

Not perfect, yet mostly readable.
"My fourth is an elixir -- as the parting of the ways (?)".
There's also a key here:

Lord Rocket, being our party's keymaster, picks it up.
We also locate a secret door in here:

Neither forcing the door nor searching for a device helps. HOYAMOQ to the rescue!

We go through.
Sagaris, our favourite old geezer, is waiting for us here.

As you may remember, he asked for our -- or rather, Kalos' -- help earlier. Well, it looks like we've accidentally wandered right into the quest area. Nice.

We go north.

It'd be logical if only Kalos would be allowed to proceed further west, but in fact our whole party is.

An inscription is here as well:

We translate it with NGOSMUR:

A riddle, yay!
But what is it for? For the nearby secret door, it seems:

Not even HOYAMOQ works on it, so that's what the "Speak a word" option is for. First, however, we must solve the riddle. Let's see what hints we've collected so far:

1. "My first was of the forming -- and lies forever still".
2. "My second of the aftermath -- the cooling of the kill".
3. "My fourth is an elixir -- as the parting of the ways (?)".
4. And finally, "Fear alone is the hangman":

I'm not really sure what hints 1-3 are for. The last one suffices to solve this riddle: there are five letters above the "Fear alone is the hangman", and conveniently enough the phrase itself has five words in it, the first letters of which form the word "Faith". Now that we've guessed the word, phrases 1-3 also make sense (kind of). "My first was of the forming" = the first letter is F. "My second of the aftermath" = the second letter is A. "My fourth is an elixir" doesn't quite fit the bill, but my guess is that, in all the hint phrases, only the words that follow the first "the" matter, i.e., in this case, "the parting of the ways" = letter T. We must've missed out on two more inscriptions hinting at the letters I and H, but whatever. It's FAITH.

We enter the secret door.

Kalos reaches into the pool.

What is he waiting for? :? We turn around.

Oh, okay. A wand is better than nothing.

spekkio picks up Sagaris' wand. Mission accomplished.

:yeah:

Jumping a bit ahead of myself, I should say that Sagaris' wand is used for translating hardcore inscriptions.
We return to the teleporter -- which has only one button now, that for teleporting back to where we started from ---

--- we make it back to URLUSAM:

Our whole party is level 5 now!

Let's visit the Circle of Magicians to see if spekkio can obtain any new rings.

A new frost ring, yay!

And now we should pay a visit to the temples to get new rings for Kalos.

:incline:, pure and simple.

From the temple area, we teleport to the shops to stock up on food:

And then get back to URLUSAM:

We still have a long way to go to level 6. So stay tuned, yay!

Next time: to the east!

torpid

Liturgist
Good going, CB :salute:

Sad to say, but it would've probably taken me ages to figure out that riddle. Also, Sagaris is turning out to be one of those ungrateful, navel-gazing wizards -- you do all the work, including sticking your hands in the unidentified gloop, and he shows up just to take the loot then jets off. He'd better have some answers or there'll be hell to pay.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I wanted to do an update yesterday but got distracted by something. True story.

I'll get down to it as soon as I have the time, I promise.

EDIT. 2000th post, oh gosh I post too much.

Crooked Bee

Patron
13: To URRAN

In which we get tentacle raped and learn to read.

Previously on this LP, we solved the priestly riddle, received the wand of Sagaris, and spekkio and Kalos were awarded new rings. We stocked up on food and teleported back to the URLUSAM sanctuary. The northern part of the High Ceilings area still remains unexplored, though, so let's try making it through to the other (presumably northeastern) end this time.

From URLUSAM, we move north:

3454.jpg

As you can see, we've already mapped the beginning of the northeastern passage, so it's time to be proceeding further.

3455.jpg

A group of Blue and Brown Orcs attacks us as soon as enter the passage, but we deal with them easily. SEL and SEHKMUR (the AoE frost spell) help a lot.

3456.jpg

We earn a totally negligible amount of exp, as well as 38 coins.
A few steps later...

3457.jpg

...we are ambushed by a significantly stronger group of enemies: from the looks of it, it's Gray Orcs and an Orc Chieftain. Choosing to fight with them would drain us of too many HP and psychic&virtue points, and we wouldn't advance further which is our main goal at the moment, so we choose to flee.
We get back to the huge cavern we already visited in the last update:

The wall up ahead hides a secret door. Five HOYAMOQs are required to open it. First the door "shudders slightly", then it "vibrates briefly", then it "throbs in and out, but remains closed". On the fourth attempt we get really close:

And finally...

Yay! We go through.

Some kind of shoes. Kalos picks them up.
Moving north and then turning west:

We get attacked by a bunch of rats plus an amorphous glob:

The rats are Plague Rats and Were Rats:

They don't inflict any diseases on us, however, and we kill them no probs:

Our loot is 67 coins.
The corridor we're in smells somewhat mouldy:

Weird:

Hmm. What might that mean? :?
Shall we check it out?

Oh god ITZ HEAVAN it's a trap! A tentacle plant!!
So what do we do? Let's ... say, Strike the hairs:

:rage:
Calling for help wouldn't do any good, obviously. Let's Try to continue ahead, then.

It worked!

"Creatures of low intelligence"!?
:x

:lol:

This is a dead end, by the way. Which means we must cross the plant again if we want to go back (and we do). So we heal ourselves up with SIRDHE, which Kalos manages to recite successfully on the second try.

And then we make it back to the other side. Phew.
This corridor has a door on its southern side:

We enter it and are confronted with a message:

It's gibberish so we ask spekkio to cast NGOSMUR:

"Punishable by death"? Bah! No doubt another joke.

Oi! :lol:

This is a Black Orc. He hits Bee pretty hard, but with the help of SEL and ORLOSMUR, a Copper spell in the Arkana of Fire...

6 ORLOSMUR The Copper Flame of the Eye

Orlosmur is the flame major, and it too will scald those impure of heart who raise violence against you. The flame is not a reaching one, for it cannot touch those who stand beyond five feet.

...we slay him, yay. 68 coins for loot.

Nothing of further interest here. Looks like this room has been yet another trap.
:thumbsup:

CRABS!!

It's four Large Crabs and a Giant Ant. We run away. :oops: I've got no desire to be wasting our time on fighting too much.
We ain't got many psychic and virtue points left, but I don't feel like going back to URLUSAM, so now we should get to the next sanctuary ASAP. We leave some areas unexplored along the way and press further east:

A lonely bat attacks us:

The bat poisons our spekkio.
Kalos attempts invoking Ufthu's aid but...

Bee comes to the rescue:

And no treasure. Meh.
Eastward ho!

Oh shit.

This encounter looks interesting, so I choose not to run away.
spekkio is still severely poisoned, therefore we have to cast SHUMMUR on him, which doesn't help much. Luckily, Bee has another solution:

:oops:
Everything seems to be going fine. spekkio casts SEHKMUR and damages all the enemies at once, but then...

:rage:
WTF!?

And so we're fighting poisoned now. :/
Finally Bee finishes a Fetid Ichor off:

(Yup, those fuckers can regenerate their health.)

And the rest of them soon follow.

(Meanwhile, Lord Rocket has recovered from poison.)
No money though.

We've wandered into a dead end!
:decline:
Looks like we should've taken the northeastern path. Let's head back.
Bee's and Kalos' poison wears off as we go. Unfortunately, we encounter a bat who spits poison at Rocket again:

FUUUUU-
Lord Rocket kills the flying beastie.

Good.
We're in the northeastern passage now:

A secret door is here:

Lord Rocket has to barge into the door three times for it to open. :roll:

And we're in!

spekkio takes the money!

We're carrying 932 coins now. Not bad.
Movin' on.

We kill another bat:

No really challenging fights in this area so far.
Taking a turn to the north, we end up in another dead end:

Uh-oh. We'd better hurry back!

Which is what we do.

Ouch!

Small demon? :?
And what kind of spell does he cast, I wonder?

Oh fuckity fuck. And the small demon is revealed to be an Imp.
We run away as fast as we can. :roll:

But as we flee, the Imp manages to cast a fire spell and wound spekkio for some hefty damage. Poor spek-kun. :/ We have to cast SHUMMUR twice to bring his HP into the safe zone.
We advance further east, slaying or running away from numerous bats on our way.

This bat is totally badass!

But Kalos' RALKOR does the trick.

Crawlin' on.

A sanctuary door!
:yeah:

We activate the new sanctuary, URRAN.
Our HP is fully restored.

Let's teleport to BORASAL to do some shopping.
We buy the Silken robes for spekkio:

Equipping it raises his armour stat from 5 to 7:

We sell the old Standard robes for 68 coins and stock up on food:

Nice. We also sell an Axe for 17 hp.
Now it's time to identify the boots we found in a secret room. Let's head to the old Sagaris.

Yup.

Congrats, spekkio-kun, you've just obtained a pair of pretty cool shoes.

Yes.

Oh. :/

Yep.

We equip the Elfin boots on spekkio, and his armour is raised by one point:

Nice, yay!
At the Circle of Magicians, spekkio is awarded one more ring:

We also get to read a new passage from the archives:

Bah, silly game, we've already found them both! And yes, one of the hearts was indeed hidden in the catacomb.
We teleport back to URRAN...

...and get ready to continue our crawl! Stay tuned!

This update has been brough to you by the Codex's own user image gallery -- which automatically compresses jpegs when they're uploaded. If you have any feedback on the picture quality in this update, do tell. Kthx.

chiefnewo

Liturgist
This is a fun game, but I'm way too lazy to do mapping, especially with spinners.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom