Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Sail The River of Time - 21 (Rat Diplomacy)

drexciya

Augur
Brother None said:
It's unlocked the moment you finish the Mad Beekeeper.

I delight in thinking of all the noobs used to level scaling that just dive into that fight and get slaughtered :love:
Agreed, it really brings a smile to my face thinking about this happening. At this stage of the game, this quest is impossible.

It's not much different from the related rat quest in the first part by the way. I think they really put this in as a reference to that fight. There where lots of posts on the forum about that one. They were quite nice about that, since you got a big big warning before the rat boss, but some people just won't listen.

It's not the only part which can be a killer for noobs, the hunting ground (Jagdrevier in German version) can be rather testing as well with a low-level and poorly equipped party.

By the way, are you using any mods? It's mostly items, looks and some sales NPC's, but changing walking pace is quite useful.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
For my audience at large: no update until after the weekend most likely.

drexciya said:
By the way, are you using any mods? It's mostly items, looks and some sales NPC's, but changing walking pace is quite useful.

No mods. I quite like the look of Ergo's fixpack, it's mostly small tweaks to better be in line with the PnP and of course the walking pace change, but I'm still documenting stuff for the GB subsite so I can't make any content modifications.

I did manually up the run/walk/sneak speed by editing the savegame, as mentioned in one or two of the updates. This is my third playthrough and at that point the whole snail-speed gets a little old.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This is my third playthrough

:shock:

BN, did you like the so much to replay it three times at such a short notice, or is it mostly for GB ?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
ghostdog said:
BN, did you like the so much to replay it three times at such a short notice, or is it mostly for GB ?

I do like it, and it helps that it's fairly short, but in the absence of monetary motivation from GB I'd have left it at one-and-a-half playthrough I'd guess.

I always (and at least) do a full playthrough and then a few hours in a second character to test stuff for the better cRPGs before I do a GameBanshee review, and a subsite, with a full walkthrough and everything, is a lot more of that, obviously.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Brother None said:
For my audience at large: no update until after the weekend most likely.

drexciya said:

No mods. I quite like the look of Ergo's fixpack, it's mostly small tweaks to better be in line with the PnP and of course the walking pace change, but I'm still documenting stuff for the GB subsite so I can't make any content modifications.

I did manually up the run/walk/sneak speed by editing the savegame, as mentioned in one or two of the updates. This is my third playthrough and at that point the whole snail-speed gets a little old.

They didn't even bother fixing the walk speed complaint from the first game?
:lol: I thought that was the biggest problem with the first game.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
RK47 said:
They didn't even bother fixing the walk speed complaint from the first game?
:lol: I thought that was the biggest problem with the first game.
The first game was a barrel smashing simulator. That was the biggest problem.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
After an internet-less interlude, we continue our adventures.

KK88g.jpg

There she is, the Thalaria. Ardo chartered this ship and it'll act as our home base and map node throughout the game.

PsKZj.jpg

Including handy traveling chests.

j9c12.jpg

delbrack.jpg
The Riverfather be with you!

sayyid.jpg
Greetings to you, Captain. When is the ship to set sail?

ardo.jpg
That's exactly where we have a problem: Captain Delbrack doesn't have a crew at the moment. But it's best to let him give you the details.

You chartered a ship with no crew? Good job there, I can't wait for you to continue your inspired leadership.

delbrack.jpg
Well, then, what should I say? There was ... well ... a little misunderstanding with my boys. Then the pack of them up and left in a huff, leaving me sitting here high and dry. We're stuck here without a crew.

ardo.jpg
And in no case can the situation stay that way. We need the Captain's people back on board as soon as possible. I thought of you in that context. Can you attend to this matter?

Hurray for more menial tasks. Of course, the reply options are "yes" and "not right now". You can tell Radon Labs was inspired primarily by BioWare.

sayyid.jpg
The crew is as good as back on board. I'll get started on them right away.

ardo.jpg
It's a deal! Then Captain Delbrack can explain the remaining details to you.

delbrack.jpg
The missing sailors are Silvertooth Yallik, Four-Finger Salm, and Dumb Dan. Also, here are 10 ducats. That should help raise their spirits.

sayyid.jpg
That's all well and good. But I don't know where to start looking. Do you have any idea where the men could be now?

delbrack.jpg
Let me think ... well, if I know Yallik, you'll probably find him making bets at an illegal prize fight. I guess it has to do with the fact that he used to be a bare-knuckle fighter himself. Four-Finger Salm takes care of all the metal and woodworking tasks on board the ship. I'll eat my hat if he isn't at the blacksmith's, keeping the man from his work with his shop talk. Our Dumb Dan, well ... presumably he's at the local watering hole hoisting a brew. At least that's what he usually does when he's on shore. I still don't understand why he went along with the mutiny, too - he always did his work without complaining.

sayyid.jpg
Many thanks. That will help me to find your men. I'll come back when I find out something.

ardo.jpg
Just a minute, there's one more thing. Take advantage of your time in town and prepare for the journey. Who knows when we'll have another opportunity to do that.

It's possible to ask for details here in case you missed some merchants (like Crooked Otto or Laurelin who you might have missed if you didn't explore expansively), but I've done enough looking around to know where to buy what.
Given the explicit instructions the three crewmembers are easy enough to find, but just in case you're too dumb to figure out the clues, the game provides you with quest markers.

YlR12.jpg

Dumb Dan is picking a fight in the local tavern.

dumbdan.jpg
Even more trouble? You're as much of a nuisance as the revenants! But go ahead! I'll be able to deal with you, too! Dan is no bill-dodger!

The revenants? What the heck is he talking about?

sayyid.jpg
I'm not here to cause trouble. On the contrary, I'm here to help you. Captain Delbrack sent me.

Let us fight these barfolk together!

dumbdan.jpg
Delbrack?! That cut-throat is the reason I'm having all this trouble!

s450i.jpg

Followers can always cut in on dialog if their skill is superior to yours. Intimidate is an unlisted skill, meaning it's a simple roll against three attributes unmodified by talent tests. In this case, I go with the human nature option

dumbdan.jpg
Because the people are resentful liars! Delbrack already owes me several weeks' pay and still hasn't paid! I wanted to put it on my tab, nothing more! I always pay my debts!

It didn't indicate success or failure but regardless this is not enough to convince him, so I try to haggle.

sayyid.jpg
[Haggle] Delbrack gave me some money as a sign of his good will. I can give you a share of it.

Unsurprisingly, with no skill at this at all, Sayyid fails.

dumbdan.jpg
[Failure] I want 4 ducats and nothing less!

Dammit. No choice but to pay. If I keep up this talent failing I'll have to dip into my own purse to convince them.

sayyid.jpg
Fine. Here are 4 ducats. Pay your tab and then report to the ship. The Captain awaits you with the rest of your pay.

dumbdan.jpg
Hhm. Thank you. I'll be there.

oY91X.jpg

sayyid.jpg
I'm busy at the moment. Out of the way ...

greyhair.jpg
Psst! Gerlin sent me, I have a message for you!

sayyid.jpg
Aha! A message. From Gerlin. How can I tell it's really from him?

fayris.jpg
Because I can confirm it. Old Greyhair is Gerlin's contact here in Nadoret. We had strict instructions to keep it secret - unless he contacted us. We can trust him.

greyhair.jpg
Psst ... exactly.

Psst ... you smell.

greyhair.jpg
Oh, many thanks for this nugget, I don't want to bother you any longer!

OUhGk.jpg

Unlicensed and powerful magic? Consider my interest piqued.

Heading to the arena, we find Yallik.

yallik.jpg
Today has been more exciting than it's been in a long time!

sayyid.jpg
Hm. Well, if you say so ...

yallik.jpg
Heh heh! I should say so! You should know that I used to fight myself. That's how I got my nickname.

sayyid.jpg
Let me guess: Silvertooth?

yallik.jpg
By all the Twelfgods, you know my name?! I guess you must have seen a fight or two of mine in the past?

sayyid.jpg
No, I've never been particularly interested in that kind of thing. But you are known for your prowess throughout the land. How could I not know your name?

yallik.jpg
I should say so. I must say, though, the guys here aren't bad, either. And a little betting is exactly the thing to fill my coin purse a little.

sayyid.jpg
How would you feel about earning a regular wage again? Captain Delbrack has sent me to bring you back to the ship.

yallik.jpg
Delbrack?! Oh, spare me the guy who sugarcoats everything! He kept stalling, stringing me along, and now what? He still owes me my full wages. If my run of luck stays with me, then I'll never have to slave away on an old tub again. I'm just not sure who I should bet on next. Maybe you have an idea. Who should I bet on: the Wild Boar or Stonenoggin? They both seem to be pretty good.

Well, Wild Boar failed me last time, so...

sayyid.jpg
I would put my money on Stonenoggin.

yallik.jpg
Hmm ... tough cookie. He's withstood quite a lot already. He reminds me a little of myself, when I was still fighting.

sayyid.jpg
Now if that's not a good omen ... Trust me, he's worth his weight in gold.

yallik.jpg
Heh heh, convinced. Master Wolfgrim, put everything on Stonenoggin!

wolfgrim.jpg
On Stonenoggin, looking good!

SWuyv.jpg

Wild Boar goes down, filled with shame and fail once again.

yallik.jpg
I won! Ha ha ha! What do you know!

sayyid.jpg
Now we can set out for the ship at last. Captain Delbrack will be waiting for us.

yallik.jpg
Are you trying to pull my leg? Go back to Delbrack while I'm having a run of luck? Go find yourself another idiot.

sayyid.jpg
You'd be a fool to believe that your luck could last forever.

yallik.jpg
Be that as it may. Still longer than Delbrack's 'favor'. What does he have to offer me, anyway?

sayyid.jpg
[Haggle] A rich merchant has commissioned the ship to transport his wares in the coming weeks. A heavy purse awaits you on board! And the Captain has even promised to pay an advance if you return.

yallik.jpg
[Failure] Well, alright. 4 ducats, and I'll go back into his employ.

Dammit.

sayyid.jpg
Here are your 4 ducats. Now off to the ship! The Captain will be waiting!

yallik.jpg
I'll be off right away.

iVE24.jpg

salm.jpg
And you've been doing it wrong forever and a day, too. You can't afford to do that on a ship, and it is even more difficult with strong swells!

tarno.jpg
Strong swells? Now stop exaggerating for a change, you are a river boatman, Salm! Well, what am I letting him blather at me for. I have work to do!

salm.jpg
Aah! Do you see, Tarno? I'm not the only one who thinks your work methods are unusual.

tarno.jpg
All I see is a shameless know-it-all who is keeping me from my work and putting off my customers.

salm.jpg
Stuff and nonsense! You can only put off the people if you don't work properly. If I held the hammer like you, then the work would only take longer. What are you doing? You can't hold a hammer like that!

Man this guy is annoying.

sayyid.jpg
Well ... I don't know. It looks alright to me.

salm.jpg
Only because you haven't yet seen how to do it right!

sayyid.jpg
Uh-huh? Perhaps you could show me how to do it properly if you know so much about it.

salm.jpg
It would be a pleasure! But I would need a blacksmith's hammer to do that ...

tarno.jpg
No way! Find your own, if you please!

salm.jpg
See? He won't let me.

sayyid.jpg
I meant on board of Delbrack's ship. He has asked me to find his crewmen. You are one of them, aren't you?

salm.jpg
Was one of them. Has that scoundrel finally noticed that his tub doesn't stay ship-shape by itself? But ... I'm not going to lift a finger for him anymore!

Enough with the soft approach.

fayris.jpg
[Intimidate] Now listen to me, numbnuts: You are going back to that ship. Or do I have to get physical?

salm.jpg
[Success] Alright, alright! If Delbrack wants to get tough, then I guess I have no choice. I'll stay on as part of his crew.

Hah. Scared by an elf.

sayyid.jpg
Then I suggest your report to the ship at once!

salm.jpg
I'm already on my way!

tarno.jpg
It's about time! I can finally work in peace again.

salm.jpg
Heh heh. If you call that work ...

tarno.jpg
Make yourself scarce, Salm! Otherwise I may lose it in the end, after all.

Alright, I end up 2D richer for the experience.

PidVt.jpg

delbrack.jpg
But ... just between you and me: How did you get those guys to come back to me?

sayyid.jpg
Well now, you'd really like to know that, wouldn't you? But it's going to remain my secret.

delbrack.jpg
I get it, you want to keep your tricks to yourself. Hey, I can't hold it against you. I probably would never have managed it.

ardo.jpg
Oh, the heck with it, Captain. We can finally get going, that's all that counts. Well done Sayyid ibn Nasreddin, I'm very proud of you.

"Proud"? How presumptuous.

sayyid.jpg
No trouble at all. The main thing is that we'll finally reach the Tollgate and can get to the bottom of this matter at last.

ardo.jpg
Well said! We should land there as soon as possible. Just give Captain Delbrack the word as soon as you're ready.

THh0U.jpg

Ready to kick butt and take names.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
abnaxus said:
Are you going to show all sidequests or only the interesting ones?

Did them all so far mostly to show what kind of sidequests this game has (i.e. not very interesting ones), but I'm going to skip almost all of the sidequests and events from now on. I think it'll get a bit too boring otherwise. I'm not sure how many readers I have with everyone distracted by DAII anyway. Don't play DAII guys. Play TRoT :salute:
(also will be gone for a week so no updates)

But before we move on, I want to test my new equipment and spells. And what better to test it on than some arena opponents?

wolfgrim.jpg
The opponent is Connar. The stake is 4 ducats!

sayyid.jpg
Here's the money!

wolfgrim.jpg
Then show us what you've got!

sIkMb.jpg

For some reason, they ran and left in auto-voicing software that means Connar actually says "three dots" in a computer voice. It's...pretty silly?

sayyid.jpg

fV8sI.jpg

Fastness of Body really is a key spell to keep your mage alive, the RS increase is big enough that relatively low-level fighters like Connar here will rarely penetrate the magical armor.

Wzzw3.jpg

And then it's just a matter of burning them alive.

wolfgrim.jpg
Connar has quite a bit to digest with his defeat... he's probably drinking his frustrations away in the tavern. Go and see him if you want to. Oh... and here are your winnings.

sayyid.jpg
8 ducats - thank you very much!

wolfgrim.jpg
Compete against the next of my fighters. The prize money is higher ... What do you say? Or do you have to rest first?

sayyid.jpg
More blood to flow onto the altar of Rastullah!

sayyid.jpg
With pleasure! Who's my next opponent?

wolfgrim.jpg
The opponent is Ifirnia. The stake is 6 ducats!

sayyid.jpg
Here's the money!

vZYR3.jpg

Hah, there's actually a sexist option, excellent.

ifirnia.jpg
And you'll look good in the lumps I'm about to give you!

8f1a8.jpg

Thunderbolts are better than bursts of flame against highly armored opponents, like Amazons (the fact that their armor barely covers half their skin doesn't mean they lack RS).

M48QS.jpg

sayyid.jpg
The only proper position for a woman.

wolfgrim.jpg
That was some fight! You really are good, I take off my hat to you! Here are your winnings!

sayyid.jpg
12 ducats - thank you very much!

wolfgrim.jpg
Ifirnia still has something on her mind.

ifirnia.jpg
I must admit, you fought well.

sayyid.jpg
You were a worthy opponent!

Surprised Sayyid could keep his face straight for that.

ifirnia.jpg
Nevertheless, you defeated me. Your fighting skills deserve recognition.

HnwOV.jpg

Fucking yay. Amazon equipment is all gender-specific, so this is as worthless as it gets to me. Still, will net me some ducats.

sayyid.jpg
Thank you! I will cherish it.

Where cherish equals sell.

ifirnia.jpg
Please excuse me now. I'm going to rest for a while and think about what I should do next. Maybe I'll see you in the tavern and we'll have a chat.

wolfgrim.jpg
An impressive lady, isn't she?

sayyid.jpg
Indeed!

N2Xw0.jpg

Sidetracked to make a bet.

wolfgrim.jpg
Luck is on your side! Here are your winnings. 2 ducats.

Bank! Enough of that. Next!

wolfgrim.jpg
The opponent is Tragash, Son of Tulrox. The stake is 8 ducats.

XU9C6.jpg

Ahahahaha!

sayyid.jpg
You're the pipsqueak!

tragash.jpg
Don't you say that again!

O5Qpo.jpg

You're about to lose, dude.

PfPxR.jpg

Told ya. 16 Ducats!
That's enough fighting for now, time to head on towards the Tollgate.

delbrack.jpg
Have you packed your belongings' Master Ardo wants to leave for the Tollgate as soon as possible.

sayyid.jpg
I'm ready. We can leave now.

delbrack.jpg
Are you sure? I don't think we'll come back to Nadoret again any time soon.

Frith, how many times do the devs think they have to warn the players?

sayyid.jpg
I'm sure, Captain. I have everything I need.

delbrack.jpg
Very well. Alright lads, clear the decks to shove off!

s8qoy.jpg

sayyid.jpg
I have no intention to follow up on the invitation, so stay away from the Isle, please.

delbrack.jpg
Wait a minute: The Voice of the Riverfather invited you to his island? How did that come about?

sayyid.jpg
He approached me when I arrived in Nadoret and called me 'Protector of Hope and Power' and 'Center of the Fabric of Life'.

delbrack.jpg
Really? Well, if that's how it is, we should set off for the island immediately.

sayyid.jpg
What? No. Rastullah take your superstitions.

yallik.jpg
Upon my soul, now the fuss about the Riverfather is starting up again, Salm, instead of coughing up our silver.

cano.jpg
Uh ... with all due respect ... we want to get to the Tollgate urgently.

delbrack.jpg
My Thalaria hasn't been spared pirate attacks without a reason. To put the Riverfather's blessing at risk now would be more than foolish.

ardo.jpg
Hm, if going to this island doesn't involve a long detour, then it's fine with me, Captain.

sayyid.jpg
According to my map we'll be sailing past there in any case.

ardo.jpg
Good. Maybe this Emmeran can even be helpful ... in regard to our search for the pirates. Let's be off, Captain.

delbrack.jpg
Hoist the sails and cast off, men! We're heading downriver.

x2b4d.jpg

The world map. Once you unlock an area you can travel there with the Thalaria whenever you like. But areas have to be put on your map by NPCs first, and the only areas currently available are Nadoret (the house at the north) and the Isle of Forgetting (the ruined arch slightly to the south of Nadoret), so we really have no choice but to visit the heathen dwarf.

qmEKl.jpg

I'm with you, Forgrimm.

jwECN.jpg

Qlqq9.jpg

The isle of forgetting is a small island that splits the river. Ancient, crumbling ruins rise up to greet us, as Brother Emmeran walks to the ship.

emmeran.jpg
Greetings! In the name of the Riverfather, I welcome you to the Isle of Forgetting! You have come, just as I asked. I am pleased to see you again.

Not of my own volition!

sayyid.jpg
Greetings. I am also pleased to see you again.

emmeran.jpg
And as I see, you are not alone.

YANA.

sayyid.jpg
Yes, this is Ardo with his companions Forgrimm and Cano. I'm sure you already know Captain Delbrack and his crew.

ardo.jpg
It is an honor to meet you, Brother Emmeran. After hearing of you, we all wished to meet you ourselves.

7f9OU.jpg

ardo.jpg
Forgrimm, Cano, you stay on board and watch the ship. I don't want you causing any trouble here.

forgrimm.jpg
But Ardo, I...

ardo.jpg
No arguments!

SMzkn.jpg

Time for a guided tour.

emmeran.jpg
Then follow me. I promise you will not be disappointed. The story of this place is truly remarkable. Although not without its darker chapters... As I'm sure you have already noticed, this was once a temple of Efferd... Many centuries ago, a great melting of the snows hugely swelled the rivers and springs that flow into the Great River. Entire tracts of land disappeared beneath the waters.

ardo.jpg
Hmm, I'm sure you must mean the Great Flood in Year 13 before Bosparan's Fall.

[Intelligence] That is quite a long time ago.

emmeran.jpg
That's right! This place too, fell to the waters. The anger of the Riverfather did not spare Efferd's temple. The Gods are often merciless in their disputes.

ardo.jpg
Are you saying the flood was caused by an argument between Efferd and the Riverfather? May we be spared such horrors in the future. It must have been a terrible catastrophe.

emmeran.jpg
Yes, many of the priests awoke that day in Boron's Halls... those that did not attain merciful entry into Efferd's own realm. The temple has been abandoned ever since... The peace of this place remained undisturbed, or so it seemed... Oh ... and here we have my modest abode.

ardo.jpg
It seems very comfortable.

0v8ru.jpg

What a dump.

ardo.jpg
But what do you mean when you say the peace here only seems undisturbed?

emmeran.jpg
Shadows move across the walls... He now walks the depths of the temple... filled with darkness and malice, he waits in the gloom...

ardo.jpg
What do you mean, my friend? What is down there?

emmeran.jpg
What is down there? Rage and fury... hatred and despair... He will destroy anything that gets in his way... he has been down there for so long...

Foreboding.

ardo.jpg
I'm afraid I don't understand... Of whom do you speak, Brother Emmeran?

emmeran.jpg
What? Forgive me Ardo, I was lost in my thoughts... When you live a life as secluded as mine, you tend to start conversations with yourself. Excuse my rudeness...

S8hOv.jpg

emmeran.jpg
But it has been impossible to open for many divine cycles. They say it was sealed by Efferd himself.

ardo.jpg
That truly was a fascinating story. Thank you, Brother Emmeran. Unfortunately I have no more time, as we must travel onward soon.

emmeran.jpg
I said you wouldn't be disappointed. As for the rest of your journey... the Thalaria will carry you safely to your destination. To your doom and to your redemption. You will see.

More foreboding stuff! We talk to Emmeran...

emmeran.jpg
How can the Riverfather's voice help you?

sayyid.jpg
You mentioned my destiny when we met in Nadoret... Is that why you wanted me to find you?

emmeran.jpg
Yes, the Riverfather revealed your face to me in a vision... You will play a role in the fate of the river, that is certain. Give me your hand... Yes... the image is becoming clearer. A dark cave filled with putrid water... Tentacles that search for you in the dark... beware the death that lurks beneath your feet...

sayyid.jpg
What are you talking about? What do you mean?

emmeran.jpg
Forgive me, I can tell you no more. In the end it is your deeds that will determine your fate. I will follow your progress and speak with the Riverfather. But heed my warning: Take care at the Tollgate. This fortress is a place of suffering and fear. Do not be deceived by appearances to the contrary.

sayyid.jpg
I will be wary as always. But do not think for one minute I believe this heathen nonsense.

ardo.jpg
Wait, what makes you think we want to go there?

emmeran.jpg
It is your destiny. You may set your own course on the waters of the Great River, Ardo. But the river of time has a will of its own. When you have found it, bring it to me...

sayyid.jpg
It? What do you mean?

emmeran.jpg
You will know when the time comes. But enough of that, my friends. Your tasks are preordained. Only you can decide how you face them.

ardo.jpg
Well... so be it. Since you mention our tasks... I had best return to the ship. We must prepare to continue our journey. Join us when you are finished here. We will cast off soon. It was an honor to meet you, Brother Emmeran.

emmeran.jpg
I thank you. It was good to have guests again. Visit me again whenever you wish. Until then, go with the blessing of the Riverfather.

Emmeran is a trainer of geodes as well as a merchant selling bits and bobs. He's no more use to us now, but we'll return here later. But now, with his blessing secured, we'll travel on to the Tollgate.

circ

Arcane
Brother None said:
abnaxus said:
Are you going to show all sidequests or only the interesting ones?

Did them all so far mostly to show what kind of sidequests this game has (i.e. not very interesting ones)
I've certainly played through worse side quests. Getting rid of the linworm in the elven village much later for example, was a little different. And features a cameo mob from the first game. It was nice to be given different approaches for a few of them too. You should include a youtube link if you plan to show Hunting grounds, that music is great.

Cassidy

Arcane
Brother None said:
we'll return here later.

I saw a mudcrab yesterday.

Horrible creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.

I got too early in the mudcrab caves and ended using the portals to fight them at piecemeal, specially because the lack of collision detection meant the tanks couldn't just block them from reaching the spellcasters in tight corridors. Also I missed the key to unlock the main hall puzzle to the Riverfather sanctum in my first playthrough. At least it gave XP.

Don't play DAII guys. Play TRoT.

Seconded. But some people seem really set on going against all evidences, are plain masochistic and/or just have an immense desire to see the tasteful cutscenes.

Others in Codex seem too easily entertained, to the point they accept standards lower than even the average of mainstream(according to metacritic user scores).

R00fles!

lightbane

Arcane
Yes, the Riverfather revealed your face to me in a vision... You will play a role in the fate of the river, that is certain. Give me your hand... Yes... the image is becoming clearer. A dark cave filled with putrid water... Tentacles that search for you in the dark... beware the death that lurks beneath your feet...

It sounds like later you're going to meet Cthulhu.

Worry not, I don't plan on playing DA2 at all, it's more fun to watch and see the butthurt growing everywhere than actually playing the game (plus there's already a lp of this turd).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
circ said:
Brother None said:
Did them all so far mostly to show what kind of sidequests this game has (i.e. not very interesting ones)
I've certainly played through worse side quests. Getting rid of the linworm in the elven village much later for example, was a little different. And features a cameo mob from the first game. It was nice to be given different approaches for a few of them too. You should include a youtube link if you plan to show Hunting grounds, that music is great.

There's games with worse, sure. There's no real slogs except Hunting Grounds which I am likely to completely skip for purposes of the LP. I was planning to do the likes of the Linnorm and Troll Bridge/Neckar Island, and sidequests that relate to the main like the upcoming Missing quest. And maybe Dumb Ox. Will see, as long as it's short and interesting, it's just that quite a few are not. Like most of anything related to the Elves.

a budda

Arbiter
Cassidy said:
Brother None said:
Don't play DAII guys. Play TRoT.

Seconded.

:salute:
someone spam da2 topics with that

also: my little elemantal mage chick with a fire elemental bodyguard is more extreme than your nigga :smug:

UPDATAN!! :x

The most tedious quest by far is the Temple of Efferd.

No matter how much damage resistance you have, the crabs inflict wounds no matter what, like the rat boss (paparatzi).

That's one of my biggest complaints about the game - there's no way to hold up enemies with your front liners because the monsters just pass (noclip) right through them.

Mystary!

Arcane
Good Lp sofar but I gotta stop reading now because I just got the game and don't wanna be spoiled. Thanks anyway :D

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
fyezall said:
Good Lp sofar but I gotta stop reading now because I just got the game and don't wanna be spoiled. Thanks anyway :D

That's kind of the idea to be honest. Just come back and read it once you've finished :salute: People skipping over this game because Drakensang was kinda a snoozefest should give it a second look. It is 25% off at Impulse now.

Update this weekend.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Bumping!
(just trying to struggle against the DA and anime/hentai/FF threads. Useless? I know)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
5VrMT.jpg

Heh, left the menu on for a bit. I never noticed it switches to nighttime when you do, and a sexy little blue thing walks across the screen.

Anyway, back on track.

delbrack.jpg
What an honor to be here! I have always wanted to get a closer look at this legendary island. Oh, pardon me, I'm talking too much. What can I do for you?

sayyid1.jpg
I think we've imposed on Brother Emmeran's hospitality long enough now.

ardo.jpg
We had an interesting talk. Yet much of what he said was still rather ... uh ... elliptical. But now we should take a closer look at this Tollgate. Or is there something else keeping us here?

Hah, elliptical is right. I want to get off this little hippy outpost.

sayyid1.jpg
We can set sail right away, as far as I'm concerned.

Please.

ardo.jpg
That's how I see it, too, Captain. Take us to the Tollgate!

delbrack.jpg
Get ready to cast off! Set course for Elvenhus! We'll make a stop at Thûrstone.

HOJw3.jpg

Maps with a line showing your trip. Shades of RoA.

oldforgrimm.jpg
Delbrack had requested the Riverfather's blessing for his 'Thalaria', which we secured for him. After that we were finally able to set off for the Thûrstone Tollgate. While Ardo was full of confidence of having taken a huge step forward, I decided to keep a very close eye on this Cano fellow.

Forgrimm and Cano really don't get along at the start, but that changes as the story progresses.

dyqE8.jpg

The tollkeepers pull up the chain the moment the Thalaria passes, trapping us in until whatever toll they ask is paid.

Le53e.jpg

I'm not liking this.

5p72o.jpg

c7Ad8.jpg

ardo.jpg
No need to be so unfriendly, I'm coming... I'll see what I can get out of these two. You take a look around. But stay out of trouble.

Stay out of trouble? No way.

cano.jpg
Alright, I'm going to take a discreet look around the fortress.

forgrimm.jpg
You're going nowhere alone, Scallywag! I want to keep an eye on you!

And they both run off.

fayris.jpg
Things won't go well between those two. It's a miracle they didn't try to throttle each other on the journey here. Let's make sure we stick together, at least.

sayyid1.jpg
You're right, let's go together and see what we can find out.

fayris.jpg
Agreed. Before we look around the fortress, maybe we should try to find out more about what's going on here. I have a bad feeling about this place...

Oh no, does your little toe itch!? Surely we must change our plans completely then!

Fucking elves.

RBbPR.jpg

ardo.jpg
You'd better go on ahead and make sure those two don't fight. You know how they are. I have to stay here and take care of the formalities.

tollkeeper.jpg
Hey, we're not finished here! You can chat when you're done with the toll procedure!

wpFG5.jpg

There's not a lot to see outside the Fortress. Seems like someone was smart enough to set up an inn to serve waiting merchants but otherwise it's just a small layover harbor. Here is one of those merchants, though a kind of shady one.

varman.jpg
Efferd be with you! You're new here, aren't you? What's your ship called?

sayyid1.jpg
I don't see how that's any of your business.

varman.jpg
Oh, of course not! I was just curious. In times like these, you want to know who you're dealing with. You might be one of those pirates for all I know! Hahaha!

sayyid1.jpg
Laugh your little laugh heathen. I believe your word as much as I believe a deont's.

sayyid1.jpg
Think of me what you will. The name of our ship is none of your affair.

varman.jpg
Ah yes, the Thalaria ... that's the ship of Captain ... what's his name again?

Hah, they're not even trying to be subtle here.

sayyid1.jpg
Why do you want to know?

varman.jpg
Oh, is it a secret? But it's probably that old Delbrack you're traveling with, right? Everyone along this river knows him. But you're not from round here, are you? What brings you here? You trading?

So he already knew? He's playing some mindgames.

sayyid1.jpg
Yes, err... we're merchants. We're taking our goods to Havena...

varman.jpg
Ah, merchants... and you're traveling in a larger group, yes? Could I ask your names?

sayyid1.jpg
I am Avon Alriksson. My companions are Ardo, Dabro Foxshill, Gammlund and Fayra Flylow.

fayris.jpg
(In a whisper) I know you haven't been doing this for long, but in future I'll choose my own cover name, thank you very much!

varman.jpg
Ah yes, thank you very much for your friendly answers. May Phex bless your dealings.

sayyid1.jpg
What? No more questions?

varman.jpg
Oh no, I'm sure you have a lot to do, I don't want to intrude. May Efferd's currents bring you safely to your destination.

sayyid1.jpg
Who are you?

varman.jpg
You can call me Varman. I often travel up and down the river on business.

Noting that name to check up on it later. He's got sleaze written all over him. Let's check up on the innkeeper.

holscrub.jpg
Travia be with you!

Travia is another one of the Twelvegods. Goddess of home and farmers, that kind of stuff.

sayyid1.jpg
What's that funny chest behind you?

holscrub.jpg
It belonged to Gero, my husband. I'm just clearing all his stuff out of my house.

sayyid1.jpg
What happened with Gero?

holscrub.jpg
He left, the good-for-nothing. There was some Thorwalian hussy in the bar. He couldn't take his eyes off her. I wasn't paying attention because a bunch of guards had just come in, but suddenly they were both gone. She was huge. Arms like tree stumps. She's probably already broken him like a twig... he was such an idiot!

Thorwalian hussy? That doesn't make much sense. Thorwalian women come in at 6' or taller and with the build of an American football safety. Hussy isn't a word I'd usually use for em.

sayyid1.jpg
We could try to find Gero for you.

holscrub.jpg
Bah! He can scrub the decks with his pirate bride, for all I care... I don't want to see that Travia-forsaken vagabond round here again! Oh yes, if you do find something out, let me know. Just keep an eye out for a good-for-nothing with a wooden leg.

sayyid1.jpg
What's in the chest?

holscrub.jpg
Just Gero's stuff. No idea.

sayyid1.jpg
[Human Nature] Come on, I'm sure you know a bit more than that. He was your husband, after all.

holscrub.jpg
Yes, but it won't be anything important. Gero was a good-for-nothing! Although he watched it like a hawk... except when he was looking at other women! Makes no difference now. I can't get the stupid thing open, anyway.

sayyid1.jpg
Is there a key for the chest?

Eyes on the prize.

holscrub.jpg
Key? Ha! Not Gero! He was always so secretive with his things, that poser. He used to be a smuggler, you know... That's when he got his wooden leg. And he used it to lock the chest! So ridiculous! And now he's gone with his leg, and the chest is here. He probably just did it to annoy me...

The wooden leg is a key? Heh, nice way to make sure you won't lose your keys I guess.

sayyid1.jpg
What can you tell me about the Thûrstone Tollgate?

holscrub.jpg
It used to be such a quiet little place. That's why me and my husband settled here. But then this Bloomfold became commandant. If one of the guards has his eye on you, you'd better watch out.

Something definitely isn't right here, but nothing solid to go on.

0Z1dH.jpg

This cute little thing stops us as we pass by. Recycled model from Speltgood's daughter. They keep the recycling to really minor NPCs and enemies so eh, this is the first time I noticed and only because I'm LPing.

sayyid1.jpg
What's wrong? Why are you crying?

lucia.jpg
They arrested my betrothed and took him to the fortress, for no reason at all! The guards won't let me in and no one will tell me where he is. Please, help me!

sayyid1.jpg
Arresting a man is one thing, but seperating him from his Rastullah-given property? At least give her to a new husband so she is not left to wander. These people truly are barbarians.

sayyid1.jpg
Maybe I can help you. I'll keep an eye out for him when I'm in the fortress.

lucia.jpg
Really? May Travia bless you! My betrothed is called Felian. Please bring me news of him.

sayyid1.jpg
What do you know about the Thûrstone Tollgate?

lucia.jpg
Not much. Felian and I were traveling to Nadoret when they arrested him. I've been waiting in this horrible place ever since.

sayyid1.jpg
What can you tell me about your betrothed?

lucia.jpg
He's a wonderful man, with honest, loyal eyes and... Erm, he might still be wearing his gold engagement ring! That's if the guards haven't taken it

h5A6b.jpg

The game autosaves as I approach the bickering Ardo and Cano. In this game, that means either a fight or a choice is coming up! Gotta protect your players from their own decisions after all.

cano.jpg
By Phex, you'll ruin everything with your crashing around! Do you really think the guards tell all their secrets to every little bawler that comes along?!

RENEGADE INTERRUPT!

cano.jpg
Ah, there you are! Maybe you can talk some sense into this stubborn mule. Meanwhile, I can find an inconspicuous way into the fortress.

forgrimm.jpg
Save your sneaking around for your thieving jobs! I'm doing this my way! The honest way! You just make sure you stay out of my way!

sayyid1.jpg
Still arguing, are you? Maybe I should take a look for myself.

forgrimm.jpg
Pah, you greenhorn! How far do you think you'll get!?

sayyid1.jpg
Greenhorn? A heathen has no right to talk down to a servant of Rastullah so.

cano.jpg
Probably further than you, with your so-called plan, Forgrimm! Shorty here wants to just knock on the main gate. If I know him, we'll soon have the whole garrison on our backs. I'm sure, there must be a less conspicuous way.

forgrimm.jpg
Shorty?! One more word, and I'll make sure you can never sneak again! I'm doing this the honorable way! If they don't play along, that's their hard luck!

I do like Forgrimm, but I'm not sure about his plan here.

sayyid1.jpg
Tell me again, exactly what you intend to do, Forgrimm.

forgrimm.jpg
Right! I'll go in and ask these scoundrels a few questions. If they refuse to answer, I'll give them a few solid reasons to start talking. It's a tried and tested method and it saves time.

That's it? I mean, I appreciate the directness, but c'mon...

cano.jpg
Lord of the Night preserve me! That's more Dwarven wisdom than I ever wanted to hear! I'm sure you're very impressed by such a cunning plan.

sayyid1.jpg
What is your plan, Cano?

ipbkw.jpg

forgrimm.jpg
Bah! You should be worried about your own filthy secrets, Scallywag! I'm going to do a little spring cleaning with my ax! That's how we do it!

Sorry Forgrimm but Cano's plan, while vague, makes more sense. So what do you think, Codex?

Hah just kidding, I'm going with Cano.

sayyid1.jpg
You're right, Cano. It is cleverer to be careful.

cano.jpg
It's good to travel with someone with a bit of common sense. Just stay behind me and do as I say.

forgrimm.jpg
Pah! Go and creep through the weeds together then! I have work to do!

rBpCE.jpg

Forgrimm runs onto the bridge and the doors slam, Cano runs under the bridge. Your option is locked off in the dialog. Basically, it's what you expect: Forgrimm's path puts you through the middle of the fortress into a combat slog, Cano's...well you'll see.

J535v.jpg

forgrimm.jpg
Pah, you'd like that, wouldn't you! I'm not leaving until you open this gate!

I glance up as I follow Cano to find Forgrimm is already pissing people off.

C47J1.jpg

Indeed!

cano.jpg
Phew, urgh... I must admit, it smells pretty bad... well, er... sometimes you have to take unusual choices to maintain discretion. Please, after you!

sayyid1.jpg
Alright, let's go.

rGsvY.jpg

sayyid1.jpg
What if need to turn back?

cano.jpg
Well, then we'll just open the... by Phex, I can't move the gate any more! Er, but everything else is going according to plan, right... if only it didn't smell so bad down here...

Master thief, here.

sayyid1.jpg
Let's just get this behind us. The sooner we're out of here, the better.

cano.jpg
We should move as quietly as possible. Even in a place like this, you can never be sure that you're alone. But I'm sure you already know that, since you follow the way of the Fox yourself.

Why do you lie? You can just run around except when you get close to people. When there's even a 10 yard distance, you can run around free.

AajHe.jpg

Cano is a deont of Phex. Deonts are people who have dedicated themselves to their diety of choice, in this case the god of thieves, merchants and travellers. These are all Cano or any other deont will have in this game, and you can't invest points in them, but they use a karma points which recharges about same as mana (actions that please your god, like lockpicking, make it recharge faster I think, game's a bit vague on it). Hail of Stars (also called Starscatter, sloppy localization is sloppy) and Stardust are combat attack and combat buff abilities, the cheapest available. Phex's Favor is a bump in thieving attributes, Divine Intervention adds free re-rolls and should always be active. A Better Offer temporarily charms opponents. It passes pretty fast at lower levels but it's damn useful. Without these abilities, Cano would be a pain in the ass, but he's ok with, provided you use them as much as you can.

Around the corner, we bump into a cutscene.

43EKZ.jpg

p4OdU.jpg

ontho.jpg
Hear something Snapper? Someone come?

wz4gs.jpg

Fat commander Bloomfold it is.

0ZUHM.jpg

Ontho looks like he has some ogre blood in him. The River of Time has a tight party where basically we won't get anyone new in until we hit level 8, which I think works in keeping the story more focused and deepening out companions, but man, when I see an awesome (and obedient) half-ogre tank like that, the inner RPG party manager dreams of having him stomp bad guys for me. Any mods out there?

bloomfold.jpg
Yes, Ontho, you're a good boy! Listen to me, this is important! We've had a visit from a couple of snoopers. They might try to sneak in here.

PWTEo.jpg

ontho.jpg
Yes, yes, Ontho break all who come! And go look traps! Snapper guard here! All what Bloomfold want! Ontho always make Bloomfold happy!

bloomfold.jpg
Ah Ontho, you really are a gem, the finest in my collection, heehee!

fayris.jpg
That fat man there must have been Stitus Bloomfold, the fortress commandant. He matches Gerlin's description precisely. Except that 'fat slug' sounds a little too harmless...

cano.jpg
Unfortunately, they're expecting us. People even seem to know why we're here. It seems someone was a little clumsy with their 'secret inquiries'... Anyway, we should definitely avoid running into that Ontho. Maybe we can distract him and his dog somehow. If we can get them both out of the room with the stairs, then we should be able to get into the fortress unseen. We just need to find some way of attracting their attention...

sayyid1.jpg
Hmm, he's all alone down here. Why don't we just overpower him?

cano.jpg
By Phex, are you mad? Did you get a proper look at that fellow? There's a reason the Commandant only needs him to keep guard down here. Let's stay out of his way!

sayyid1.jpg
Fine, let's go.

You've got the leadership so you're free to just pick a fight with Ontho here. He is a 100VI tank though, and while it's easy if your PC is a damage-dealing mage or warrior, it becomes harder if he's not. It's not an impossible fight, but here's what I like best: it's not worth it. Beating Ontho and his dog nets you about 14 or so AP if I recall correctly, and some useless loot. Get past him without being spotted, and the game rewards you 70 AP.

0RrVv.jpg

The first problem is Ontho's rat traps, which he's coming to check up on, so you gotta get past them fast. They're not much of a problem as they only trip you up, though, have Cano or Fayris do some quick disarming.

2bknK.jpg

Allons-y!

gXvW4.jpg

Past the traps, hiding behind the corner while Ontho goes to check up. He's going to re-set his traps which gives us a bit more time.

XCS3H.jpg

At this distance you better sneak. Another trap on and we're past Ontho, but the dog still remains.

WHjto.jpg

Ah-hah!

A quick smash-up and we run fast before the rats attack us.

WDsL6.jpg

Jumping into the first niche nets us some old loot. Really odd is that these weapons, useless as they are, can only be found here. The Ontho model obviously never comes back either. Some unique stuff in this basement, in other words.

uVl92.jpg

Hiding in the second niche, Snapper will run by at the call of his master (I missed the shot), some middling items in the chest. The way is clear!

hTbCs.jpg

His filthy living hole. The chest contains a key and a whole load of rat tails. I guess the cook back in Nadoret will be happy with those.

8yNLI.jpg

Clear!

Since it might be hard to figure exactly how I progress from screenshots, here's the map and route:

56qIw.jpg

1. Cutscene 2. Hiding place from Ontho 3. Rat cage 4. Chest containing broken weapons 5. Hiding place from Snapper 6. Ontho's living pit

You can go directly from 3 to 6 through the ooze, though it will give you the stink effect (-3 CH) and you'll miss the chests at 4 and 5.

Wanted to keep going but update's will get too big and it's getting late. More soon!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
No replies? Well fuck it, I'll update anyway, COZ THAT'S HOW WE ROLL.

4CE72.jpg

Though that was it? We're only just getting started on the Path of Phex.

grumbold.jpg
Hehe, did you hear the Head Tollkeeper, people? We're under attack - from a Dwarf! Sounds like we're really in for it, hahaha!

tashman.jpg
Silence! If we're found out, we're all for it! Cook! You stay here and bolt the door behind us! Come on boys, let's get that snooper!

I do so love it when bad guys shout out what they're about to do.

cano.jpg
That stubborn Dwarf really did storm the fortress! It looks like he's taking on the whole garrison! By Phex, I'd laugh if it weren't so horrifying!

I still think it's pretty funny.

sayyid1.jpg
Do you think Forgrimm's in trouble?

cano.jpg
Hmm, it sounded more like the tollkeepers are in trouble... I hope that Shorty comes to his senses and doesn't kill the Commandant before we can question him.

sayyid1.jpg
Then let's take the opportunity while the guards are distracted. What do you think?

cano.jpg
I completely agree. It looks like we'll have to cross the room behind this door. Unfortunately one of those fellows is still in there.

qCgld.jpg

Grumbold is the only one in here, but more guards are only a shout away. He'd be easy enough to sneak past, but the chest to his left is actually called "enticing chest". C'mon now, we can't pass up on that... But the moment we come close to Grumbold, even sneaking...

grumbold.jpg
Huh, who... by Phex, who's that?! You must be with those snoopers, aren't you? Wait! The guards...

sayyid1.jpg
Take it easy, my friend. I'm sure we can come to some agreement.

I don't remember why I picked the soft option here, since the other option threatened physical violence.

grumbold.jpg
Bah, I've already seen your good intentions! Your Dwarf friend is smashing everything up out there!

cano.jpg
Let's try to convince him, Sayyid! I'd rather avoid violence.

grumbold.jpg
Alright, tell my I shouldn't call the guards!

Just let me pull up the persuasion minigame here...

DmGZ7.jpg

Well I'm not paying him, so if fast talk fails he'll just have to go...

grumbold.jpg
It's not that simple! You don't know what the Commandant is capable of when he thinks he's been betrayed. What can you give me in return?

cano.jpg
The chance of a new life, my friend! When we're finished here, the Commandant won't be able to do anything to you. Then nobody will bother you. We promise.

grumbold.jpg
[Success] V...very well, if you promise... alright, I'll keep quiet! I promise! Ah, erm, you probably want the key for the door, don't you? Here, now go!

It was pretty much all Cano talking in this particular dialog. So it goes in this game.

C29TB.jpg

The enticing chest contains this handy little item. Give you a +5 to your Arcane Lore for whenever you need it (such as identifying other magic items).

nszGY.jpg

The door leads to the walls above an inner courtyard. If you went with Forgrimm, you be down there with him, archers and ballista shooting at the group while Cano has to work his way around solo.

cano.jpg
Hmm, this time our little friend has really managed to get himself into trouble... We need to make it to the gatehouse before we can get any further. The guards were helpful enough to leave the ballista right under the portcullis. If they don't notice us we can give them a little surprise.

sayyid1.jpg
Good. But we will have to take out the archers on the way there. Forgrimm won't be able to dodge arrows forever.

cano.jpg
Well, I'm almost inclined to let him deal with the fruits of his stupidity alone, but you're right. Let's try to creep up on those fellows and put them to sleep one by one.

sayyid1.jpg
Don't you think the other guards will notice if we start knocking them out one-by-one?

cano.jpg
No, they're distracted. And that ballista makes a lot of noise. Not to mention Forgrimm's bawling... I think we have a good chance.

xdaan.jpg

Heh.

B8f8t.jpg

Cano's plan is easy, the only thing that makes it a bit tougher is that every now and again the archers run back to reload, so you have to watch what they're saying. If they catch you it's no big deal, they call in guards, but once again, going by unnoticed nets more XP.

UgIOX.jpg

Sneak up and kill, one by one.

4RzEA.jpg

In no time we're down to the last.

H2Vxm.jpg

JC4x8.jpg

ePnLl.jpg

FsncK.jpg

cano.jpg
Excellent, you've done really well so far! I'm glad you decided to come with me. But with your good judgment, you'd hardly want to run after that clumsy Dwarf.

sayyid1.jpg
Well, if he hadn't distracted the guards, things would have been a lot more difficult for us. Why do you have such a problem with him?

Still playing some peacekeeping.

cano.jpg
Sure, he's hard as nails. But he's also just as stubborn. He doesn't have too much respect for the ways of the Fox God. Also, our first acquaintance was... er... rather unfortunate. He and Ardo surprised me as I was performing a Phex-pleasing task. To smooth things out, I promised to help them look for a thief named Mora. Thanks be to the Cunning One, in Ferdok I managed to discover that she's with the pirates. That's why we're looking for them. But enough of that. We need to keep moving.

4SLrj.jpg

A lighting flash illuminates that there still are guards standing.

tashman.jpg
By all the Lower Hells, where did you spring from? Are you with that Dwarf? How can you just walk into our fortress like this?

forgrimm.jpg
You better worry about me, lackey! I want some answers from you, quickly! Speak! My ax is impatient!

cano.jpg
I strongly suggest you cooperate, Head Tollkeeper. Things rarely end well when he starts talking about his weapon.

tashman.jpg
Alright, alright... stay calm! ... Maybe we can cut you in. The pirates can be very generous, if...

cano.jpg
The pirates? You're working with the pirates?

fayris.jpg
So the smuggled goods must be from the pirates. This conspiracy is bigger than we thought.

qEK6R.jpg

Hah. I love how you can really tell this was written by someone familiar with the occasional frustrations of being a DM. You think your players have a line on your plot, they slaughter their way through some plot-relevant characters (or, for Forgrimm's path, at least three dozen guards), and then go "wait, you're the bad guy's lieutenant?"

lYWKr.jpg

[Intelligence] line indeed.

tashman.jpg
Yes. And details on destination and weaponry.. This place was the perfect cover. I didn't think anyone would work it out...

sayyid1.jpg
We had a vague suspicion. But we were obviously on the right track.

CfKzJ.jpg

OMINOUS THUNDER.

tollkeeper2.jpg
What... what should we do, Head Tollkeeper? If they know about our deal with the pirates, then...

tashman.jpg
What do you think? There's no going back now! It's us or them! Attack!

forgrimm.jpg
You seem a little slow on the uptake, Human! All of you drop your weapons, or I'll crush you flatter than that little toy beneath the gate!

cano.jpg
Much as it pains me, I must agree with the Dwarf. You should listen to him, Tollkeeper.

tashman.jpg
Never! Men, finish them!

cano.jpg
[Fast Talk] Lay down your arms and go home, men! Leave this madman to his fate.

Simple fast talk check and he loses the support of his men. Never failed this one.

tashman.jpg
Do you really want to make the Commandant angry? I said: Attack!

tollkeeper2.jpg
[Fail] Yes sir! Come on lads, get them!

FFFFFFF, must've fumbled.

924wM.jpg

Exploding some bad guys.

Ox4xw.jpg

Bastards actually managed to injure Forgrimm with one of those auto-injure attacks. Still, soon enough...

cano.jpg
What a pointless death! He must have feared somebody more than us.

forgrimm.jpg
Ah, finally you skulkers turn up? I thought I'd have to do everything here.

cano.jpg
Sounds like you were enjoying all that ducking and diving, Shorty! So sorry if we're interrupting.

forgrimm.jpg
Pah! I could have dealt with that ridiculous plaything myself. You just made things a little quicker.

sayyid1.jpg
We're bound to have better chances if we work together, don't you think?

forgrimm.jpg
I must admit it can sometimes be quite useful to have a skulker watching your back. As long as you don't get in my way, I think we can work together.

cano.jpg
That was almost praise wasn't it, Forgrimm? And don't worry: If you still want to get your head caved in, I won't stop you.

sayyid1.jpg
Alright, let's go.

KIX1x.jpg

cano.jpg
Wait! I'm sure this place has a few more surprises in store for us. It would be smarter to find a way through the dungeon. That way we can avoid any more trouble.

forgrimm.jpg
You can sneak around on your own, thief! I told you not to get in my way.

cano.jpg
There's no point in arguing with you, Forgrimm. What about you, Sayyid! Which way will you choose?

Enough with the subtleties.

sayyid1.jpg
Let's take the direct route through the great hall.

forgrimm.jpg
That's the spirit! By the Hammer of Angrosh! Follow me!

cano.jpg
Phex be with us! I just hope your folly won't be the end of us.

Again, the choice locks you in, and Cano is right to worry a bit. There's about a dozen guardsmen behind the door. Individual guardsmen are easy, but the TDE system is really tuned to make numerical advantages matter, and Cano in particular is a bit too soft for these kind of fights. Hence I buff up a bit with Attributios, Fastness of Bodies and only after the fight began realised I forgot to renew the summoning spell.

1C2xG.jpg

Knock knock.

xNxTa.jpg

This engine really does kind of suck at fighting in close spaces. No hit detection, people just line up wherever and that makes it hard to keep track.

ik6vO.jpg

Chipping them down, doing well.

WYZKA.jpg

More than half of 'em down, this was easier than I expected. I forgot how massively useful Fastness of Body can be.

4BXHz.jpg

oAR6X.jpg

forgrimm.jpg
Bah! You admire that miserable pack of traitors? If you ask me, we gave them what they deserved...

Save the banter until we're done, guys?

e9NtP.jpg

sayyid1.jpg
A good day's work, in Rastullah's name.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The only time I kicked in the door Cano got ganged upon and got killed quickly.

I wonder whether the stealthy route through the fortress gives more XP than the stealthy one.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
abnaxus said:
I wonder whether the stealthy route through the fortress gives more XP than the stealthy one.

Well, based on my walkthrough notes...

Part one=
Forgrimm route: you kill 18 tollkeepers for 36 AP, Ontho for 10AP, and you get 30AP four times for reaching different stages, for a total of 166 AP. Of course you can let tollkeeper keep on going in one stage for extra AP.
Cano route: you get 60AP for reaching stages 3 times, and 10AP per archer you knock down, for 240AP. Also additional AP for passing the dialog check (5 AP or so). It is easier to lose AP by failing stages though, like getting detected by Ontho.

Part two=
Forgrimm route: 12 tollkeepers for 24AP.
Cano route: no AP.

So in a powergaming sense, first Cano then Forgrimm (what I just did) is best. You also get more possible magic items that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom