Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Sail The River of Time - 21 (Rat Diplomacy)

circ

Arcane
I used to do Cano route, then tried Forgrimm instead and it bugged out towards the end and I had to load a save because I couldn't proceed.

Cano route is more useful if you want to make absolutely sure Cano gets every deont skill. You get a little more equipment, like some good shields if you go with Forgrimm though.

MOAR UPDATES!

I want to see Thundertits again.

drexciya

Augur
abnaxus said:
The only time I kicked in the door Cano got ganged upon and got killed quickly.

I wonder whether the stealthy route through the fortress gives more XP than the stealthy one.
I think you get more from doing a bit of both. But the Cano options are much more subtle than the hammering through approach of Forgrimm. That makes his actions pretty funny, because he's so extreme.

If you're really powergaming you can do Cano first, then wait for the event that you've done part 1 right and then go back and kill the Ogre or whatever he is. It's a bit sick though.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
circ said:
Cano route is more useful if you want to make absolutely sure Cano gets every deont skill.

Doesn't Cano have every deont skill regardless of what you do?

drex said:
I think you get more from doing a bit of both

Do you mean what I did, as in first Cano then Forgrimm? Because otherwise, you can't do bits of both, you're locked in once you agreed with someone in dialog. That's not the case for the later Pirates & Elves quest, which you can fully pimp out for AP.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
So if you squeeze out every single AP in the game (like going into the Temple of Efferd as soon as you're able) is it possible to go beyond level 12? I've never managed it.

circ

Arcane
Brother None said:
circ said:
Cano route is more useful if you want to make absolutely sure Cano gets every deont skill.

Doesn't Cano have every deont skill regardless of what you do?
I rushed Cano's bit once and he was stuck with 2 skills. Reloaded, not sure if more sneaking and stealing in later missions or in towns would have maxed them.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
circ said:
I rushed Cano's bit once and he was stuck with 2 skills. Reloaded, not sure if more sneaking and stealing in later missions or in towns would have maxed them.

As I showed, he starts out with all skills. You might've run into a bug. Or maybe you're talking about his Karma Points, the colored circles below his endurance bar? They fill out very slowly, a bit faster if you steal/pickpocket, but they're never capped.

abnaxus said:
So if you squeeze out every single AP in the game (like going into the Temple of Efferd as soon as you're able) is it possible to go beyond level 12? I've never managed it.

Don't think so. You're right it never usually happens, I did all quests for the walkthrough and ended up at 12. Almost no enemies at that point give you AP anymore, but I suppose some finagling might make it possible.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
ALr7p.jpg

One of the reasons I prefer Forgrimm's path here is this chest.

364AK.jpg

Sweet loot.

RLVfB.jpg

+1 to Constitution, a nice buff for Forgrimm.

l1s93.jpg

VUJ24.jpg

Commander Bloomfold has an interesting taste in art.

Heading through the door...

bodyguard.jpg
Well, I'll kiss an Ogre! If it isn't those snoopers Tashman's men have been talking about! We were betting on your chances of making it up here!

i6nnm.jpg

Think I'd pick the second option, obviously, but funny thing about dialog here is, you can only piss off the bodyguards to the point of attacking you by picking the nice options. So let's do that.

bodyguard.jpg
Hear that, Metzel? They just want to talk! Very impressive, don't you think?

bodyguard2.jpg

sayyid1.jpg
Listen, we would rather avoid unnecessary bloodshed. Just let us pass.

bodyguard.jpg
Hard to believe Tashman's people couldn't handle you. But they were just fodder. Now you'll get a real fight!

blTSQ.jpg

They didn't last long.

9XYlz.jpg

Nice feast.

ZP2jm.jpg

forgrimm.jpg
Spare us the pleasantries, you villain! We know what you're up to! You're in league with the pirates!

bloomfold.jpg
Oh, so you discovered that already. Truly impressive. Did Tashman talk before you did away with him?

sayyid1.jpg
Tashman said you had been warned about us. Who told you about us?

bloomfold.jpg
Oh, wouldn't you like to know? Did you really think your snooping would go unnoticed? How simple-minded of you! It's incredible, you got this far...

sayyid1.jpg
You seem to find the death of your underlings amusing. Are you really so unscrupulous?

bloomfold.jpg
Pah! I'm a practical man, I don't cry over spilt milk. But if you care so much, perhaps you shouldn't have killed them, hmm?

Hah. Sometimes I love this game's writing. The voice acting's perfect here too.

sayyid1.jpg
Let's get to the point! What kind of deal do you have with the pirates?

bloomfold.jpg
A lucrative arrangement. We give them information, and they always drop off a little package here or there. They'll be raiding an Elf village soon. I wonder what they'll bring me? They say the most peculiar things about female Elves... maybe I'll find out the truth for myself soon, hehehe.

Tasteful elf rape? If only...

JsTrA.jpg

Spunky!

bloomfold.jpg
Well, I think our little discussion is drawing to a close. I'm a very busy man, and you're beginning to bore me...

sayyid1.jpg
Well I have more than enough time. First tell us where we can find that Elf village!

bloomfold.jpg
Oh it makes no difference... there are plenty of others who will get the treasures there for me... and now, I'm afraid your questions really have become far too dull.

sayyid1.jpg
Fine, since you're so impatient to be clapped in irons. Just tell us where the pirates are.

forgrimm.jpg
Yes, where are those scoundrels hiding? I'm getting sick of trawling up and down this river looking for them!

cano.jpg
And what about Mora? Is she also with the pirates?

bloomfold.jpg
Mora? Hm, interesting that you ask that... my river pirate friends have mentioned that name a few times. They sounded quite agitated... If she's so important, then maybe she's still alive. That would be important to you, wouldn't it? Such a pity you'll never find out.

sayyid1.jpg
You are defeated, fool. Surrender and we will be merciful.

bloomfold.jpg
Hahaha! You don't seem to understand your position. Right now Coldstone's man is dealing with your friends on the ship. And I have a very special surprise for you.

5JbU9.jpg

GFSCn.jpg

timtheenchanter.jpg
That's no ordinary lapdog! That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered canine you ever set eyes on!

RcUTa.jpg

Sqjrh.jpg

QnmDE.jpg

The entire floor of his throne room is a giant trap-door? How often does that come into use? Too often, I'd wager...

CSZi1.jpg

APPiZ.jpg

iE2Xk.jpg

emmeran.jpg
Told you!

cano.jpg
By Phex, I didn't think the insanity in this fortress could get any worse...

We're up against a kraken newt. Good thing it's a newt because a full-grown kraken can tear apart a ship in seconds. It is stationary but its range is such that you can't really keep mages and archers out of his reach and still attack him. He attacks with four tentacles and by spitting ink that blinds you. You can attack his main body but it has a very high armor rating, and only ranged attacks can reach it, so it is generally better to concentrate on attacking his tentacles.

w4rCR.jpg

Sayyid ran up to the tentacle in a moment of unwariness on my part and got his ass knocked down.

kN5J5.jpg

Ink attack!

Ju0Ft.jpg

Oh no, Cano got knocked down, certainly we're doomed now!

m4UP9.jpg

After I chipped down the tentacle to zero health, the kraken newt withdrew! Victory?

JWQHa.jpg

Guess not.

4rzKR.jpg

I hated pearl morfu in the PnP. With their poison darts, they weren't worth the fight and usually best avoided. They're a lot easier (and more common) in this game.

92AuT.jpg

Take out the morfu, and the newt comes back.

BBoQa.jpg

Bloomfold is still watching.

I7dtP.jpg

More morfu appear after I beat him down again, but they go down quick enough.

LV3Au.jpg

sCjjH.jpg

That's right, you can actually fail spells. Works the same as other talent rolls. Even the super-talented can fumble.

Va4xP.jpg

The third time in, the kraken newt retreats...

nAvvK.jpg

...And lashes out in pain.

cfuTg.jpg

Collapsing the platform!

4cp4g.jpg

WViCJ.jpg

Immensely satisfying.

nWadn.jpg

The collapsing platform finishes off the newt.

forgrimm.jpg
Ha! In the end that Gigrim fed himself to his precious pet. I'd have liked to wring his neck myself, but this works just as well.

cano.jpg
Phex be thanked, that was close! Much longer and we'd be in that creature's stomach too. A rather tasteless death.

fayris.jpg
The stench in this cave is so bad I can barely think. If you don't mind, I'd like to get out of here as quickly as possible.

Lore: elves in TDE are very, very sensitive of smell, and can't stand staying in stench-filled places for long.

cano.jpg
Wait, maybe we can find something useful down here. Forgive me, my dear, but as a follower of the Fox, it would be unforgiveable not to check.

fayris.jpg
Do you mean this wooden leg, thief? ... Wait, this looks unusual... like a fragment of something... We should keep this.

The wooden leg we were looking for, though preferably with its owner still attached to it. The fragment is a curious artifact, we'll have to find out more about it later.

5fFUw.jpg

An unfortunate victom of the kraken newt.

C9SlS.jpg

That answers what happened to the girl's betrothed.

iLjFo.jpg

Found some metal kneecaps on the newt's corpse. They go to Forgrimm.

ueVTJ.jpg

From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

drexciya

Augur
Another fine update.

I really like the fat guy as a villain; in the German version he's got a proper voice as well. Somehow it reminds of a typical deranged James Bond style villain. Him going doing with the kraken was a nice touch as well.

I found the amulet to be somewhat meh; you can buy a +2 Con amulet from Brother Emmeran.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
drexciya said:
I found the amulet to be somewhat meh; you can buy a +2 Con amulet from Brother Emmeran.

It's like 40D! Nuts to that.

(I'll probably buy it later, but my adventurers' heart loves free magic items :M )
(even if the game just keeps tossing +1 amulets at you throughout)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's perhaps a minor negative point of the game, being able to buy that many magic rings & weapons all around. In the first game, either you got the same items as loot or as a quest reward, they were much more rare to get hold of.

In RoT, if you're a munchkin you can harvest for ingredients for hours (plants and animals respawn upon leaving and returning), sell them for enough ducats and buy uber equipment very early.

Then again, in the first game you received golden armour practically for free...

Little_Robot

Novice
I've been enjoying this, very nice stuff. I'll keep reading until the end, even though it might spoil parts of the game for me. See, that's just dedication on my part. :salute:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
We leave the cave by way of a small side door, recalling the Bloomfold had told us Ardo would be dealt with as well.

l8skr.jpg

forgrimm.jpg
Ka baskan draxin! If they've hurt one hair on Ardo's head!

ebpNx.jpg

fqrEV.jpg

forgrimm.jpg
Ardo, no! What happened? Is he...

Forgrimm is like a lost little puppy. So sad.

6kLOh.jpg

delbrack.jpg
Ardo had been talking to the two guards for a long time.

5WZpz.jpg

delbrack.jpg
Then everything happened very quickly.

XakZB.jpg

LtfVW.jpg

C3JFb.jpg

kW1RT.jpg

Took down three men in a single sweep. Nice.

q99mi.jpg

NbKyY.jpg

sayyid1.jpg
Varman! Wait, what robbery?

forgrimm.jpg
What? You know this man? And you and that Mora worked with him?! By the Forge of Angrosh, what does this mean, thief?

cano.jpg
Well... Mora and I are... old rivals. We've been in competition for a long time for the title of 'King of Thieves'. This man spoke to us in a tavern in Havena.

sayyid1.jpg
'King of Thieves'? What are you talking about?

cano.jpg
It may not mean much to you. But we children of the Fox know what it means. Mora is my only serious rival. There are no better thieves than us in all Havena. This man knew that. We were arguing about how we were going to outdo each other. He joined us and did what he could to stir things up even more. Finally, he made a proposition. By the Lord of the Night, a truly foolhardy idea!

PDYm7.jpg

sayyid1.jpg
What did you steal, Cano?

cano.jpg
Oh... err, nothing. Unfortunately, Ardo and Forgrimm caught me.

forgrimm.jpg
Haha, now I understand! Caught by your own tricks, Cano! And all because of a woman!

cano.jpg
I... I was careless for just a moment. To my horror, I realized that Mora had already...

sayyid1.jpg
Hah. Outdone by a woman. Even at the lowly profession of burglar...

forgrimm.jpg
Silence, rogue! Must I remind you of your oath!

sayyid1.jpg
What oath? What are you talking about?

cano.jpg
I can't talk about it. We swore an oath of silence.

forgrimm.jpg
Exactly! And only Ardo can release us from it! Ardo!! By Angrosh, we must get him quickly to a healer!

delbrack.jpg
Yes, we should get him on board and think about where to look for help.

Ardo is carried on board and made as comfortable as he can be atop a cabin (why not in the cabin, I don't know).

delbrack.jpg
Yes, make him comfortable. I fear there's little else we can do for him at the moment.

forgrimm.jpg
What are we waiting for? Raise the sails! Oh Ardo, shame on my beard! Why did I leave you alone!

Where should we go, Forgrimm? That blade must have had an evil poison. I've never seen anything like it. I don't know if a normal healer can help us.

fdhi6.jpg

Back to Brookbeard and his attractive apprentice I say!

fayris.jpg
I've heard of that Nadoret magician... although even if he offered to help, I don't know whether we should accept it. No, believe me. It's not a good idea.

delbrack.jpg
It sounds like we can spare ourselves the journey to Nadoret... by Efferd's Trident! We must find help somewhere! Can't you think of anything else?

Well, I really don't want to go to the Elves. And we don't know where they are. So what about the dwarf hippy?

sayyid1.jpg
What about Brother Emmeran? He seems to know about all kinds of mysteries. At least some of his predictions seem to have come true.

fayris.jpg
That's a possibility. I don't think he's the fool so many people believe him to be. But I wouldn't like to guess what he's really up to.

delbrack.jpg
Yes, the Voice of the Riverfather! Erm, I know the deonts of the city don't think much of him, but his advice never did me any harm. Or maybe you have some other ideas?

sayyid1.jpg
Brother Emmeran seems to be the best place to start looking for a cure for Ardo. What do you think?

forgrimm.jpg
Let's be on our way. To Brother Emmeran's island!

cano.jpg
We carefully consider our next steps. Ardo's life doesn't seem to be in immediate danger, he just won't wake up. Let's equip ourselves in Nadoret first.

forgrimm.jpg
Equip ourselves? You want to go shopping and plan your next dishonest deeds while Ardo lies here close to death! To Emmeran's island, I say!

delbrack.jpg
This is pointless! Somebody must lead our group until Master Ardo has been healed. Would you do it? After all, you did make it through the Tollgate with these two squabblers.

About time you clowns recognized the natural leadership skills of Sayyid ibn Nasreddin.

sayyid1.jpg
I am deeply indebted to Ardo. For his sake, I am willing to lead the group.

cano.jpg
Well alright, I think I can live with that. For now, at least. And don't worry: I'll be there to help you with my advice when you need to make the right decisions.

forgrimm.jpg
Fine, I don't mind. At least you've shown that you can be relied upon. Just let me know when you've had enough of that Scallywag, haha!

delbrack.jpg
Then we are agreed. Men: this expedition now has a new leader.

salm.jpg
Yes, Captain!

forgrimm.jpg
Kangrosha! Then let's set sail, with Angrosh's blessing! We must help Ardo!

cano.jpg
Yes, the wisdom and blessing of Phex be with you. You are taking on a heavy responsibility.

fayris.jpg
I know Ardo is a good man, just as Jaakon was. Therefore, I feel I must continue to help you and him. And then Coldstone will pay for his deeds...

Glad you're still with us toots.

delbrack.jpg
Hm, I think I've worked out that you're no ordinary merchants. Don't worry, I'll keep quiet if that's what you want. Let me know when you have orders.

Just figured that out now, huh?

B3xvS.jpg

She was waiting on the dock for news. Must've been desperate.

MuXaX.jpg

No need to keep her in the agony of ignorance.

lucia.jpg
That ... that's Felian's ring! Where did you find it? What happened to Felian?

sayyid1.jpg
The Commandant murdered him. I'm sorry.

lucia.jpg
Felian ... dead! Oh Travia, why! Here, take this as a sign of my gratitude for returning his ring. I was saving for my wedding dress. But I don't need it any more. [Reward received]

sayyid1.jpg
Excellent. Now, prepare to join my hareem.

lucia.jpg
If... if I could just get to Ferdok and tell people what happened here... That's the only thing I can do for Felian now.

Ferdok!?

delbrack.jpg
By Efferd's Beard, I wish I could take you there. But our leader urgently needs help and Ferdok is too far upriver.

castellani.jpg
Excuse me, honorable gentlefolk! I am Sarastro Castellani, a merchant from the south. I see your predicament and it touches my heart. I can take the young lady safely to Ferdok.

Sarastro Castellani? A Fountlander. Why would we trust some random Fountlandish asshole with this girl's life?

fayris.jpg
When you get there, don't go to the guard. Ask for a man named Gerlin instead. He will be able to help you. Tell him Fayris sent you.

What? Why are we trusting this guy?

cano.jpg
Clever advice! We don't know how far Coldstone's intrigues reach.

What does she have to do with Coldstone?

lucia.jpg
Coldstone? I don't know who that is, but I'll take your advice. Thank you. And you too, good merchant. May Travia bless you.

castellani.jpg
Let's be on our way immediately. Please follow me, young lady.

AMhez.jpg

My pedantic nature means I like sorting all my ingredients in the available chests on the ship.

Next up on the list of missing people, the innkeeper's husband.

holscrub.jpg
Hey, you! Were you just in the fortress? What's going on up there? I heard a lot of shouting! I hope you didn't annoy the Commandant. He can be quite unpleasant...

sayyid1.jpg
Don't worry, Commandant Bloomfold has been... removed. I'm sure there'll soon be a new commandant bringing some law and order to the place.

holscrub.jpg
Well, let's hope so! Until then, I'm not setting another foot in that fortress! And all this business down at the docks! There are three dead bodies in my inn! No, no, no...

sayyid1.jpg
I found this wooden leg...

holscrub.jpg
By Travia's Hearth! It's Gero's leg! Wh... where did you get it?

sayyid1.jpg
In the... in the fortress! He was murdered.

holscrub.jpg
Murdered! Oh, my poor, silly Gero! I'm sorry I thought ill of you... I told him to take care around that Tashman... Erm... could you give me that leg? To remember him by, I mean?

"To remember him by"? Yeah right...

cano.jpg
[Human Nature] A souvenir? Is that really the only reason you want it?

holscrub.jpg
Alright, by Travia, you're right. I can use it to open Gero's chest. I tell you what, give me the leg and I'll let you take one thing from Gero's chest. And apart from that - if you want to trade, I'll give you a good price.

sayyid1.jpg
Agreed. Here, take the leg. [Give object]

holscrub.jpg
Thank you. Let's see what's in there... There's a bag full of coins a battered old map and a rusty key. Choose something!

sayyid1.jpg
I'll take the rusty key. [Take object]

holscrub.jpg
The key? Fine. I doubt you'll find a use for that. Travia alone knows where Gero's been in his time.

You can buy the map off her too but I don't need it :smug:

0FOBg.jpg

See?

nYqQz.jpg

Nice. Before we go anywhere else, let's troll the wife.

sayyid1.jpg
Your husband had a hidden treasure! And I found it!

holscrub.jpg
Travia save me! I spent years here working my fingers to the bone, and my good-for-nothing husband had treasure hidden away! If he weren't already dead, I'd wring his neck!

Grog

Educated
This game causes huge analysis paralysis for me. Every time I fire it up I eat up most of my 2 hours of gaming time dicking around in the character creator.

I want to stroll around as a huge, awesome, Thorwalian tribal because he's badass but I also want to mess around with spells. The power gamer in me recognizes that the best combo of spellcasting and fighting is the elf fighter (stone cold warrior + fastness of body + spears FTW!), but elves are pussies so who wants to play one of those?

I've sunk probably 10 hours into this thing and not gotten much beyond the first big market square. I think the huge variety of viable archetypes and builds is what really makes this game. It's so fun to experiment with them. You barely even need the actual game, when the system itself is so fun to tinker with.

drexciya

Augur
Grog said:
I've sunk probably 10 hours into this thing and not gotten much beyond the first big market square. I think the huge variety of viable archetypes and builds is what really makes this game. It's so fun to experiment with them. You barely even need the actual game, when the system itself is so fun to tinker with.
The character system is excellent indeed and that's something that's completely missing from a lot of other recent RPG's.

It's too bad we don't get another game in this series; a more open game where you can create a group of characters would've been great.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's a party-based game and the party is more or less balanced or balanceable regardless of player class. That said, you could say certain classes are a bit more advanced (charlatan, geode), but the balance overall is good.

Rogues have it tough earlier in the game because you're stuck with Cano and two-rogue is a sucky party makeup.
Warriors though? Warriors got it easy throughout. I recommend on of the Thorwalian setups, or dwarven mercenaries, strictly from personal preference.

ghostdog said:
RK47 said:
More like :
dom2.gif

Haha. Perfect.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Pure warrior or soldier is boring, any other fighter archetype is more interesting but Dwarven mercenary is most powerful.

Rogue is very powerful due to miracles & eventual access to Mortal blow skill + fun to play with access to all social skills.

a budda

Arbiter
how does this one compare to the 1st game?

immediately after finishing i wanted to start with another character but remember the story too well :/
so i'm thinking of trying the 1st one...

what shittiness to expect? what to skip if possible?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
a budda said:
how does this one compare to the 1st game?

The River of Time is much better. The first one has a shittier, "epic" plot, endless hallways filled with trashmobs, and less interesting characters. It does have a more varied party (big advantage). It is also a lot longer. It's on the same engine with very little difference between the two, so you can jump in instantly familiar with the system and controls.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, play the 1st one without upping the walking speed, either with a mod or manually (you can find instructions by googling it, easy enough). There is way, way too much walking for the slow-ass walking speeds in the game. Recommend upping the speed of usage of plant and animal lore too. It's a long game, and if you use the set speeds it gets tedious fast.

a budda

Arbiter
thanks, good thing reminding me of the speed, was a bit too slow in RoT

tried to give it a try a long time ago but barely into the game and not having grasped the system i read the hivemind's opinion and uninstall swiftly followed

now i'm mentally ready for trashmobs, epicness rarely hurts me and i'm in love with the system :)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So far it's better than 1st part, my female rogue has many flavour dialogues but i avioded a few fights thanks to this, my male fighter (onlly melee class with some social polish0 ended his prestigius city watch carier :D and now he's banging the half elf rangerchick. :lol: game is lighthearted and beutifal unlike Oblibion and DA2. :thumbsup:

Grog

Educated
Please sir, may we have some MOAR :M

Though I'd settle for the Gamebanshee subsite. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom