Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's discover X-Com's fate in Superhuman TFTD - Update #52

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:salute: Dear Comrades, you will not be forgotten.

images

Aquanauts Assemble!

:thumbsup:

korenzel

Educated
There's always room for more recruits. While the list of soldiers to assign is getting quite long, it can take only one mission to clear it out almost entirely.

---------------------------------

UPDATE 5 - Terror from the Deep

New recruits join the ranks of X-Com.

xaydd.png

Right, let's get back to the game.

XUkM8.png

A small sub is spotted by a Barracuda on patrol. It turns to pursue.

nObnA.png

A dual torpedo shot and the sub is down!

TXthQ.png

The Triton, filled with veterans and rookies, touches down soon after.

LdWeB.png

Warcupine spots the alien a little south of our sub, hiding behind rock formations.

8ap1x.png

Rabidredneck arms a grenade and passes it to Storyfag. A good throw and the alien is no more.

xxS3r.png

The sub is recovered. Not much loot but no casualties, so that's a relief.

pL6dR.png

Some veterans from the base attack get promoted after numerous complaints.

4pqXp.png

Another sub is discovered near our base, thanks to our now built wide array sonar. It's a large one so we won't engage it, but will follow it. As we're nearing the end of the month, it's probably a Terror ship.

jUdT3.png

We lose track of it near Antarctic. The poles are really of interest to the aliens.

8k4Et.png

The sub is back. It's now beelining towards our base...

xtz4D.png

Getting closer now.

OimzW.png

The sub changes its mind and heads straight for Accra.

zSk1L.png

And there we go. It was a terror ship after all. Too bad research on heavy sonic weaponry isn't nearly done, or we could have brought it down.

hgddD.png

The mission site is not far, the Triton make it there in the late morning. At least it'll be daytime.

WOY86.png

And our first terror mission begins. A port attack, not the worse kind.

We skip the first turn to avoid getting slaughtered by reaction fire. Many civilians die. X-Com operatives feel proud.

cm7QZ.png

Azira peeks around the sub and spots alien hostiles in the shadows. Storyfag lobs a pulser and both soldiers run away in the safety of the vehicule. The explosion brings the death of at least one Deep One and one Gilman, and hopefully no civlians.

zMRRv.png

Deep Ones are here. That means it's stun rod time! Black II does the honor.

oHsRi.png

A potential target is found to the east of the sub.

qeOGj.png

And another to the north.

2IaIQ.png

But I play it safe and grenadiers throw pulser at the two locations. The first one is a confirmed kill.

g5fLD.png

The second one as well (screenshot was taken too early).

hQWGo.png

Black II is getting tired of panicked civilians running around. He stuns one.

VvlU2.png

This door wasn't open before. That means someone is in here!

YXznN.png

Indeed, there are a few aliens lurking in the building. Time for some fine grenading by Storyfag.

rvIko.png

Storyfag misthrows and the pulser ends up near dextermorgan. The soldier runs up to it and grabs it before he dies in the resulting blast.

pN6WB.png

Not one to cower in fear, dextermorgan throws the pulser to the gilman and uncovers another alien. A deep one.That's probably what made him miss his throw, the pulser ended up behind the wall and probably won't kill all aliens.

1sXdA.png

dextermorgan runs away as fast as he can as the pulser blows up. No sonic blast come his way, but we haven't heard the deep one's death rattle. It's either stunned or still alive, probably still alive.

3fUxb.png

Black II keeps stunning civilians. At least they won't get shot or draw a grenade.

6Avql.png

dextermorgan turns around to see if his grenade did some damage. The Deep One was still alive, but Oscar manages to shoot it down.

INyUP.png

There's a corpse missing, the second gilman's one in particular. dextermorgan runs to cover.

h8tZN.png

Black Bart Chrley spots him while trying to fetch more pulsers. Good thing he's looking away.

OmUoB.png

Meanwhile, Garfunkel spots yet another gilman lurking around.

DLaGJ.png

Black II throws him a grenade, but it ends up too far away and Garfunkel cannot continue the chain. He kneels and prays for mercy.

oPO2q.png

Northern alien throws a grenade. This isn't good.

Rr14M.png

Southern alien throws a grenade too. Stop using my pulsers!

lAFrN.png

The northern grenade didn't do much damage, it didn't even hurt Black Bart Charley. The southern one got stuck in a fence and blew up its thrower. I suppose aliens are not used to throw things in the air.

Rml5b.png

Oscar shoot the revealed alien, but doesn't kill.

fJA6I.png

Overweight Manatee II shoots as well but doesn't kill either.

YT2ik.png

Garfunkel throws his grenade at the third floor of the largest building, through a window. No aliens die.

wi5Fl.png

Black Bart Charley survives another turn, and spots two aliens when going for the pulsers.

bCDq9.png

Oscar shoots but hits the staircase near Black Bart Charley, wounding him mortally. He has 6 turns to live.

9cHTZ.png

Hoverdog manages to throw a pulser all the way from the sub. That's almost on the other end of the map, and it still lands perfectly on target.

tK9dq.png

Massive death of alien follows.

pUbAE.png

Garfunkel spots a Gilman, looking at him in the eyes. He freezes.

bfWNm.png

eklektyk throws a pulser at the alien's feet.

Ov1Ze.png

Death comes swiftly to the alien.

XsT8G.png

Azira II gets ready to enter the main building, but is shot down by a sonic cannon blast.
RIP Azira II :salute:, your name will live on with your numerous brothers.

8SNz8.png

An alien survived the pulser blast, incredible. Luckily he doesn't shoot us.

5BGYl.png

Rabidredneck snipes him with a rocket from long distance.

VwoBl.png

Dextermorgan throws a grenade to the alien that shot down Azira II. It's enough to bring it down.

Z86W6.png

Garfunkel gets shot by an alien on the second floor on the main building.
RIP Garfunkel :salute:, you were not one to shy away from danger.

vZ4Y5.png

eklektyk, Rabidredneck and Overweight Manatee lay down an artillery barrage on the building's second floor. eklektyk misses one shot and it ends up way too low, hitting and killing Warcupine who was getting ready to storm the place.
RIP Warcupine :salute: at least your mind is safe from future alien probing.

cgvYC.png

Zomg II is under fire from the alien in the building. We must have wounded it, it misses its first shot.

MBIYx.png

And its second one as well.

LFyaM.png

Black Bart Charley II falls unconscious from his wounds. He doesn't have much more time to live.

diuDq.png

The snipers continue their heavy explosive barrage, and eklektyk redeems himself by killing the gilman.

0fz6M.png

RK47 stuns a Deep One spotted by Black Bart Charley II before falling unsconscious. We now have everything we need to research Ion Armors, provided we don't lose our base.

NufL5.png

dextermorgans climbs up to the third floor and spots a Gilman.

YPRsu.png

Rabidredneck snipes him and ends the mission.

jB7mD.png

Victory is ours! Not a bad rating too considering we lost 7 civilians. I guess stunning those two prevented us from getting their points. It's a shame, but we did ok nonetheless.

W4Zll.png

We sell loot and corpses for a hefty load of money. Our stock of pulsers is depleting but we still have a few. I'll maybe have to manufacture some after all.

1kI7P.png

Despite being counted as a loss, Black Bart Charley II actually survived. He won't be fighting anytime soon though.

hQc85.png

Nearing the end of the month, we spot another alien sub while patroling the south pacific.

CVW9t.png

I send our two barracudas to bring it down after the first volley fails to hit. The aliens get scared and run away to the south pole. It wouldn't surprise me if a colony was other there.

CURmj.png

End of the month, which means we get our funding! Everyone is happy with us except Brazilians and Egyptians, better watch that those two don't turn on us. We end up with about 4 millions to expand our second base, hire some technicians and build some sonar stations.

--------------------------------

Now that we have almost every item in the game, it's time to decide where we will focus our research. There are several options available, all with their own benefits. Since this is a Let's Play, I'll let the Codex decide instead of making the call. We have the following options:

A - Sonic Weaponry. More ranged power is always useful, and the completion of the line unlocks Sonic Oscillators, which can be used to bring down any sub smaller than a Battleship.

B - Drills. Melee weapons are extremely useful against the tougher aliens, some terror missions and for sub breaches. The line is rather quickly researched, and can help our troops be better prepared to face crustacean lifeforms.

C - Armor & MedKits. More protection means soldiers may survive a hit or two. It can virtually double the amount of troop we have on the battlefield. Medkits are necessary to make wounded soldiers survive long enough, and can also be used in case aliens stun our soldiers with Thermal Shock bombs.

D - M.C. technology. By postponing armor prerequisites and researching the live Deep One straight away, we can begin research on the M.C. line very quickly. That means earlier M.C. Labs to ascertain troops power, and ultimately earlier M.C. attack options.

E - Misc. Weapons. Thermal Shock Launchers and later on, Disruptor Pulse Launchers can be a great help to our soldiers, even though ammo is scarce in the beginning. Gauss Weapons can be finalized to give access to the very lucrative craft Gauss Cannon.

I'll leave the week-end open for votes and then move on to February.

Zomg

Arbiter
We might never see Zomg L if you research MC or Thermal Shoks. Let's get some mediocre-ass Gauss guns in here

dextermorgan

Arcane
Not one to cower in fear, dextermorgan throws the pulser to the gilman and uncovers another alien.

:salute:

Dextermorgan throws a grenade to the alien that shot down Azira II. It's enough to bring it down.

:salute:

As for research, I'd go drills followed by armor, mainly because I want to get up close and personal (provided my good luck holds). Might be wiser to do sonic first though...

I've had great success in the future, especially when teamed with a long lost bro by the name of Big Nosed George... so yeah, sign me the hell up.

Black Bart Charley is now the soldier with the highest expected lifetime. Congrats!

Drills then Sonic weapons. We can always procure more men cannon fodder, we just need to bring more Dakka with us.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Garfunkel gets shot by an alien on the second floor on the main building.
RIP Garfunkel Salute, you were not one to shy away from danger.

NEVER FORGET! :salute:

Also, go for DRILLS!!! Since we didn't see those in mine or Orgasm's LP, iirc.

Black

Arcane
Since Black II already has a shitload of exp with melee weapons from stunning those pesky civilians I vote Drills. Then armour and popamole kits.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I...did I survive?

Also, armor. Our radical detonation approach works wonders.

oscar

Arcane
Armour, drills then sonics. Sorry for the friendly fire boys!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom