Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's discover X-Com's fate in Superhuman TFTD - Update #52

dextermorgan

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Bee does a good throw, and lands a grenade right next to the alien.

:incline:

tumblr_l734j17qNp1qc30fq.jpg

Those pullups sure paid off. Thanks for the assist :salute:

bgillisp

Scholar
Black said:
I don't know how differently MC works in TFTD but in EU I think it's the weakest part of the game.
There's no good way to defend against it at the beginning (and god help you if you don't manage to get a sectoid leader before ethereals show up) but once you have it you can basically drive around with a tank and break the game with MCing poor aliens.

That's essentially what I did when I played TFTD amd got MC. I had a good solider in most stats but they ended up with only 38 in psy strength (or whatever it is in TFTD). I didn't want to scrap them so I gave them an mc device, hid them in the sub, and had them panic every alien they could. By the end of the game they could take over or panic any ailen we found despite the only 38 strength, and it worked because their MC skill was up to about 120 then!

Zomg

Arbiter
Psi in X-Com 1/2 is cool in your first playthrough because it's so narratively satisfying to turn it around on the aliens, but it's pretty crap in terms of pure rules. If I were gonna hack it to be decent I'd remove X-Com psi use and let the psi training thing just give everyone that takes it good psi defense. The "psi goat" strategy where you let the guy with no psi strength get controlled over and over is effective but lame, but you'd need to extend the X-Com AI to unshit that.

GhostHardware

Novice
Sing me up as a grenadier. I'm ready to blow myself up for a greater good :salute:

This remind me of X-com where I'd throw proximity nades like freakin everywhere and then forget about them. Many surprises were had.

korenzel

Educated
Thanks for the positive feedback, it's always appreciated.

M.C. in TFTD works, as far as I know, the exact same way Psi did in X-Com. There are range modifiers, and you need at least one soldier with sight of the target. If I remember right, Psi/M.C. Power is used mostly for defense but adds a little boost to attack, for which Skill is the primary deciding factor. I rather like it, it's one of many tools aliens have that can turn the tide of the battle entirely, even if the computer uses it poorly.

I don't feel using M.C. is any cheaper than nuking a whole map with blaster bombs, which become available at about the same time. M.C. operators need extensive training and won't be useful for at least a couple missions, during which they'll just sit in the sub and fail their attempts. Controlled aliens suffer from their high energy usage and make lousy scouts, only covering half the terrain an human operative could. Using extensive M.C. is the safest way to play the game, but also the slowest.

korenzel

Educated
UPDATE 7 - Lobster Slaughter

While I wait for imgur to stop sending error messages, here's a sneak peek :

KrrCj.png

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
dextermorgan said:
I don't know about that, those drills pack a mean punch and he's at full TUs...

Yup, especially against them lobstermen. I remember when in lobster-packed alien bases, I would just leave pretty much everyone at the exits (or load them to the brims with stun launchers) and let the 4-man drill vanguard do all the dirtywork.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh look, Lobster season is here. Wonderful. :roll: Don't be surprised if it stays with you FOR THE REST OF THE GAME.

At least that justifies the drill research. That was the only problem I had with researching drills straight away - the lobsters weren't here yet.

I've rarely been as relieved as when I looked through the TFTD Strategy Guide and saw that Lobsters take double damage from melee weapons.

For laughs, consider having a melee grunt with the name "Snikt! Bub" and see how long he lasts.

korenzel

Educated
UPDATE 7 - Lobster Slaughter

When we last left off, the team was torn by the decision that needed to be made. RK47 bravely stepped forward and began marching towards the mine.

x0PGu.png

RK47 steps on the mine, and nothing happens. I completely forgot mines are disarmed when reloading saves on the battlescape. RK47 will live to see another day!

2NIZs.png

Grenades are thrown to clear the little alcoves where the last alien is. It dies and ends the mission.

l9pvV.png

A flawless mission, although it feels a bit like cheating. I resist the urge to fire RK47, he'll have another occasion to sacrifice himself, I'm sure.

t3REg.png

Pacific-1 upgrades from sonar station to interceptor base. A Barracuda is purchased.

ZdwPC.png

And facilities are built to support a small garrison and a backup science team.

X8K45.png

A new soldier arrives. He seems somehow familiar.

L8ffL.png

Breakthrough in the power tool department! We can now use and manufacture Vibro Blades.

WdRCL.png

Work is started on an even more powerful melee equipment.

4l6AH.png

We only have two Vibro Blades in stock, so technicians are ordered to build a few more.

v6RPX.png

It's soon finished, and the toy manufacture resumes.

Z476j.png

Aliens are very active in the Indian Ocean, but none of my patrols spot any sub.

wdAy0.png

The secret of the Thermic Lance is revealed. It's complete overkill for most enemies, but still has its uses.

MSAGK.png

The final upgrade is now being researched. A drill even stronger than before.

n8NcW.png

The month is very quiet, not much alien activity and even less contacts. Finally, we find one.

I3sol.png

The Triton's new loadout, with a couple Vibro Blades and Thermic Lances for easier sub breaches.

30RA4.png

Two barracudas are sent in pursuit and shoot the alien sub down near Jamaica.

ZfwDO.png

And the Triton is there soon after.

iAJQe.png

Lobstermen... It's unfortunate to see them so early. We have no ranged weapons to deal with them yet, except our couple pulsers. Drills are an option when there's cover to approach, but the terrain is wide open. Still, codexers are not afraid of death, so I don't abort the mission.

QuP3s.png

Two pulsers are thrown at the beast's feet. Does it die ? Nope.

Uimpk.png

Black II spots a lobsterman to the west. Two more pulsers are thrown on its feet. Hopefully it's the same one as before.

jopVg.png

Hoverdog, eklektyk and Oscar shoot rockets at it to weaken it. The monster doesn't even flinch.

n0dn0.png

The first pulser explodes. A mighty death rattle is heard! The second one blows up. Any trace of a corpse is gone.

TMjht.png

dextermorgan sees a lobsterman far to the northwest. Pulsers are thrown.

86qPF.png

And they explode, but don't bring the crustacean down.

qyJq4.png

The lobster shoots, but misses. It's wounded, time to close in for the kill!

DkTbu.png

It shoots again, and misses again.

KrrCj.png

Storyfag opens the sub door and spots a nasty surprise.

MlQUi.png

Time to demonstrate the drills' power. Look at that speed, Storyfag could attack ten times with it.

7yuRL.png

But one hit is enough, the lobsterman is down.

ly7hl.png

Storyfag keeps going, and spots another lobster.

FqpeN.png

He kills it, and spots yet another one.

dv8EL.png

A horribly messy attack later, all is quiet.

GUfG1.png

More pulsers are thrown to deal with the northern lobsterman. It's probably the last.

E3VsS.png

The monster didn't die, and shoots RK47 down when he tries to go for the kill.
RIP RK47 :salute:, your respite was short after all.

88LGt.png

Edward R Murrow II has enough TU to move in for the kill. The lobster doesn't see eye to eye to this and shoots him down before he took a single step.
RIP Edward R Murrow II :salute:, you didn't have much time to shine.

eGnQJ.png

Storyfag throws another pulser at the beast. It doesn't die. And shoots down Slaughter who was getting closer to melee range.
RIP Slaughter :salute:, a good grenadier you could have become.

7IqeI.png

It also shoots Bee, halfway across the map. And throws a grenade that kills Black II who was with Storyfag in the sub. This isn't looking good.
RIP Bee :salute:, one of the most accurate rookie I've ever seen.
RIP Black II :salute: your experience with melee weapons didn't save you in the end.

7RKk6.png

All hell breaks lose among the aquanauts, and they begin panicking, and worse, shooting their guns!

M0PpL.png

Oscar shoots a rocket right in Hoverdog's face. He's stunned and wounded by the blast. Hoverdog doesn't survive. Darthowicz is hurt too but still standing. eklektyk shoots a rocket towards Ashery, continuing in his tradition of friendly fire.
RIP Hoverdog :salute:, our best sniper. Your name will live on in legends.
RIP Ashery :salute:,a little more training and you would have been one of the best.

dcyAl.png

The lobster starts tracking our panicked soldiers. Its first target is ironyuri.
RIP ironyuri :salute:, you were so close to getting promoted.

8K2mH.png

Then Storyfag and dextermorgan are hunted down by the relentless monster.
RIP Storyfag :salute:, your throwing skills will be sorely missed.
RIP dextermorgan :salute:, you managed to hold your own despite horrible stats.

v4bnb.png

Rabidredneck spots the lobsterman near the sub.

18Qif.png

Survivors calm a little and regroup. Darthowicz falls unconscious from his wounds.

sDjnq.png

eklektyk arms and throws pulsers looted from his comrade's corpses. Does it kill ?

GQ6Mf.png

Nope.

gAULO.png

Another pulser later, the lobster is finally dead. But the mission isn't over. I miscalculated. There's another lobster somewhere. And we have two soldiers. We already lost so much, we won't give up now! This is foolish, but I'm rather frustrated about the turn of events and don't think straight.

Icr7I.png

Sub doors are heard opening in the distance. eklektyk and Rabidredeck move cautiously towards it. The lobsterman spots the lieutenant and shoots him down. All hopes now rest on eklektyk.
RIP Rabidredneck :salute:. A fine captain you would have been.

IypCZ.png

And he finds the lobsterman mourning over its lost crew. He slaughters the beast, and the mission is over.

IsFkl.png

Well, I think the rating speaks for itself. We lost many good soldiers, our highest ranked officers, but we prevailed. It could have been much, much worse. We could have lost the Triton to my stupid last stand. For future reference, lobstermen with sonic pistols are far, far more dangerous than with sonic cannons.

Zomg

Arbiter
korenzel said:
I don't feel using M.C. is any cheaper than nuking a whole map with blaster bombs, which become available at about the same time. M.C. operators need extensive training and won't be useful for at least a couple missions, during which they'll just sit in the sub and fail their attempts. Controlled aliens suffer from their high energy usage and make lousy scouts, only covering half the terrain an human operative could. Using extensive M.C. is the safest way to play the game, but also the slowest.

I've played mostly UFO Defense and it's probably a fair bit worse in that. The AI seems much less aggressive in using the weaker grenades in X1 unless you have packed several units into close proximity, so throwing away an enemy's gun is as good as killing them. Even with grenades in their pocket they'll mill around doing nothing with X-Com soldiers in view. So psi doesn't need LOS, "kills" 1-2 enemies per turn per X-Com soldier, sights new enemies without risk, and really turns every mission into a rapid defenseless alien chain reaction after a couple of missions of psi-spam training.

Edit - Zomg III engage

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Oscar shoots a rocket right in Hoverdog's face. He's stunned and wounded by the blast. Hoverdog doesn't survive. Darthowicz is hurt too but still standing. eklektyk shoots a rocket towards Ashery, continuing in his tradition of friendly fire.
RIP Hoverdog
vaderno.jpg

Howerpies, his younger brother, is ready to avenge his sibling! :x

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
A textbook assault. Perfectly executed! :salute:

Looks like I may as well voulenteer Warcupine III to Warcupine MMCLXVII right away. They'll probably all see action before this LP is done :lol:

Pope Amole

Educated
I think that after such a glorious slaughter, even lurkers will feel obliged to step in and die in a glorious, but humiliatingly short way for the honor of the Codex. Pope Amole I ready for duty, make him a grenadier or a melee fighter or whatever will work, since it's obvious that it won't work for long. And when he dies, well, just make another one if there will be need. We, popes, are quite used to having a serial number.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Pope Amole said:
I think that after such a glorious slaughter, even lurkers will feel obliged to step in and die in a glorious, but humiliatingly short way for the honor of the Codex. Pope Amole I ready for duty, make him a grenadier or a melee fighter or whatever will work, since it's obvious that it won't work for long. And when he dies, well, just make another one if there will be need. We, popes, are quite used to having a serial number.

Wouldn't Pope Amole be better suited for a sniping role, so he can stick to chest-high walls and regenerate his health?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom