Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's discover X-Com's fate in Superhuman TFTD - Update #52

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
hoverdog said:
Storyfag said:
Opowiesciozerca volunteers for duty to avenge his fallen elder brother Storyfag :salute:
chyba razcej Opowieściota, mamracje? :smug:

Powiedziałbym "spieprzaj dziadu" ale to nie dość :obviously: jak na Kodeks.

Więc: Oddal się śpiesznie, starsza osobo :smug:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So its my time to shine now yes? A bit abysmal stats, especially with 10 bravery, but whatever, it cant get worse now, can it?

eklektyk

Erudite
Hellraiser said:
It's not TFTD without hit shitting the fan. :love:

absolutly marvelous :salute:

for a moment there i was expecting triton loss at the end mission screen ...

well time for new meatshields to enlists

[ ps. wonder if i last another mision with my track record :M ]

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
lightbane said:
Where the fuck is this from?

Kouji Iwahata from Ga-Rei: Zero. A raging homosexual. With massive handheld drills as weapon of choice.

Gg6LR.jpg

:lol:
I dont think the recruiters mention the working conditions when dudes sign up to serve mother earth.
I think, it should be a rule from now on - drills, no armor. Well, the light one is ok, for more drama.

korenzel

Educated
UPDATE 8 - Calm before the storm

CHJtM.png

No respite for the aquanauts. As soon as the Triton got back to the base, another alien sub is spotted.

x4FT1.png

Our interceptors pursue. The sub follows a searching pattern and gets rather close to the base. If it's an alien scout for a battleship, it must not report. A barracuda shoots it down with its last torpedo.

8Rxh1.png

We only have 6 soldiers healthy enough to assault the sub. It's risky, but we're rather short on money, and we can always abort if lobstermen are here again or is things get too dangerous. The Triton is sent and arrives a few hours later.

0hNro.png

Aquatoids! Lobster season is not here yet after all, that's a relief. Still, this one isn't a pretty sight for Malakalov, as he sees the alien throw a grenade that lands very close to him. The blast kills him instantly.
RIP Malakalov :salute:, you didn't have time to panic or go berserk.

b3me2.png

Azira spots the alien and MacGond throws a grenade at it. The explosion brings it down.

ZpwSm.png

Mines are placed by MacGond near the sub entrance. They explode the following turn, taking with them at least one aquatoid life.

ezDeF.png

Thrombone throws a pulser next to the sub doors. It explodes and an aquatoid dies in the blast.

b9UdU.png

An alien shoots at us from the west, but misses. Let's not give it another chance.

i7FRa.png

Thrombone spots it and MacGond lands a grenade at the alien's feet. One less to worry about.

7RWHM.png

Another alien was in the southwestern corner. Thrombone doesn't survive.
RIP Thrombone :salute:, you helped us discover an ambush that could have spelled our doom.

qsARE.png

MacGond runs north and spots the alien just as he gets out of breath. Azira provides grenade support and makes a perfect throw.

S8fYY.png

This one won't be killing humans anymore.

WZfzr.png

Joka charged the sub and hid in a corner. A good call, as he sees an alien walk right past him and through the western door.

dfg7H.png

The alien is found, dealt with, and the mission ends.

T2ybV.png

The sub is recovered, and we only lost two soldiers. That should help compensate the bad score from the previous mission.

8E61d.png

Some promotions. MacGond makes it lieutenant before eklektyk, despite having been on only two missions so far and getting less kills. It seems all the friendly fire isn't helping eklektyk's career.

CZZNQ.png

We sell our loot, and make it back past the 1M$ mark. I try to make sure I have enough cash before the end of the month hits, in case one country defects to the alien and stops giving X-Com money.

DizFq.png

Many soldiers answered the call to arms and join the almost empty halls of the pacific base.

qp3aH.png

The end of the month arrives without further incident, the seas are calm. It seems we did quite well in stopping the alien incursions, but some major funders are surprisingly silent, most notably the Asian Coalition and Alaska.

tIB6B.png

Research on drills finishes right as the month passes. Heavy Thermic Lances are the ultimate in melee equipment, but they're slow and heavy. I prefer Vibro-Blades and Thermic Lances.

IWWJT.png

Work is resumed on the sonic pistol. I want Sonic Cannons researched before we encounter more lobstermen.

bJbPK.png

More scientists are hired to help the research effort. We're nearly broke, but we have a whole month to make some money.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, I died on my first mission? Just fucking great.

Lets try again, Malak is ready for duty. Perhaps with decent stats this time.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Sweet! 10 bravery again! At least I'm cannon fodder, so here's hoping Warcupine III fares better :salute:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Somehow I just know something bad is going to happen...

Incidently tried to install the windows version of UFO GOLD on my Windows 7 machine and discovered to my dismay it just won't run. Which means all the neat windows mods for it won't run either. Installing XP goes a bit too far so it is back to old dosbox UFO for me. Darn.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Azira III survived a mission and even killed an alien? :retarded:

Well, I'm sure the AI will target him more efficiently next mission. :smug:

Much :love: for this thread! :thumbsup:

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Just got caught up on this thread and "NoooBlarrgaarrgl!"

I wish to volunteer to have my brain and surviving vitals placed into a cybertank!

dextermorgan

Arcane
Trash said:
Somehow I just know something bad is going to happen...

Incidently tried to install the windows version of UFO GOLD on my Windows 7 machine and discovered to my dismay it just won't run. Which means all the neat windows mods for it won't run either. Installing XP goes a bit too far so it is back to old dosbox UFO for me. Darn.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx

Or download VirtualBox and install XP under that, either way will work.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks like it's Grenadier duty for me.

I hope I can bag at least one xeno before failing to live up to my name.

Trash said:

Are you using UFO Extender? That should make everything work correctly. The TFTD version is somewhat alpha, but it seems to do enough to get everything running fine in W7.

JoKa

Cipher
yeah, i got a kill AND survived the mission...that's not likely to happen again.(and was i the only one who didn't get promoted?)
drill them a new one before going down!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Hilarious article. I laughed.

dextermorgan said:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Or download VirtualBox and install XP under that, either way will work.

Thanks. I'll give it a try

Overweight Manatee said:
Are you using UFO Extender? That should make everything work correctly. The TFTD version is somewhat alpha, but it seems to do enough to get everything running fine in W7.

Yup. Windows version of UFO just won't start in Windows 7 though. With or without extender. Old dos one runs like a charm in dosbox though.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Trash said:
Hilarious article. I laughed.

As a last resort it's not so bad really. I haven't used it much but from what I remember the virtual machine runs in the background and the program you install under it is run transparently (i.e. added to Windows 7 menus, one click start, that sort of thing).

And if you really don't like Windows/Microsoft you can always go Linux, wine runs a lot of shit, with some tinkering. :smug:

Too bad every major release seems to break some of the games that ran fine in previous versions.

Awesome article. I feel offended by it, though. HOW DARE THEY SHOW THE AFTERMATH OF A X-COM MISSION WITH ONLY A BIT OF FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you guys IMAGINE what our funding nations will think when they only see a bit of fire? It is not a proper X-Com mission if it hasn't ended with the entire area around it turned into debris and fire!

korenzel

Educated
Good article there RK47, I wonder how these ecologists will react when we get access to nukes, and use them.

@The Brazilian Slaughter : check the Triton loadout in the previous update. I use pretty much everything I put in it. Pulsers only blow up loot when it's lying on the ground. If kept to single explosions targeted on live aliens most of it can be recovered.

----------------------------------

UPDATE 9 - Beach Vacation

When we left off, research was resumed on the sonic pistol.

wFGwZ.png

But I change my mind and decide to go for the cannon right away. It's more useful than the pistol against tough targets, while gas cannons, grenades and drills should be more than sufficient to deal with the weakest ones.

bHIPl.png

Not even two hours into March, aliens attack a beach resort in the Seychelles.

0GGsr.png

The Triton makes it there before nighttime.

ZGZv2.png

Island attacks are probably the easiest terror missions. They consist of mostly wide open terrain that makes spotting aliens easier. It does have a few tricky places, and if lobstermen are here it's hard to approach for a melee kill.

2g9Qx.png

Canus opens the door of the sub, and immediately spots two gilmen looking away.

rYANk.png

An opportunity like that doesn't happen too often. MacGond arms and passes a grenade to Canus, who relays it between the gilmen. The explosion kills them both.

DLCMI.png

KickAss goes out first and find a gilman looking away again.

rbWz6.png

KickAss shoots, hits but doesn't kill.

n58OW.png

MacGond and Canus repeat their previous tactic, and the gilman dies in a grenade explosion.

2DufK.png

Azira spots a shadow in the distance. Definitely no civilian.

JFp5U.png

MacGond and Canus make a good team. Another kill for them.

uw7PR.png

Merk climbs the hill to the east and while checking for hostiles behind him, spots a shadow below.

C4gKe.png

He approaches from behind and stabs the green alien to death.

hByYr.png

Movement is discovered to the west.

Zw6i0.png

eklektyk has taken position on the eastern hill. A perfect sniping spot, and he hits the gilman without issue.

mKmXC.png

The gilman is still standing, so KickAss climbs up a hill a little to the north and shoots as well. This time the alien goes down.

6OeSm.png

Trash looks up and spots a Deep One on the roof.

JKvmk.png

MacGond deals with it with a well thrown grenade.

ONUMt.png

Canus found a perfect sniping spot but the way is blocked by a fair lady in a bikini.

rWAxF.png

Bane II Humanity moves north and spots a gilman through the windows.

S2EYi.png

eklektyk fires rockets at the wall to get a line of sight, and KickAss fires through the cracks, killing the alien on the spot.

JW6HD.png

Trash spots an apparenty unarmed alien. Or is it carrying a grenade ?

xF98V.png

DosBox is so amazed by Azira III's precise shooting that it glitches.

TU5ON.png

The gilman is, as usual, still alive after the direct rocket hit. MacGond throws a normal grenade at it but it's not enough to kill it either.

qtx9V.png

It doesn't move an inch during the alien turn, and Azira shoots at it again. Again, DosBox glitches.

1fYKp.png

Bane II Humanity ends up in a predicament. He checked the western corridor without looking at the eastern alcove, and now he's most certainly dead.

LqzqD.png

Joka spots a shadow to the south. It's dealt with the same way other shadows were : with a grenade from MacGond.

XoXps.png

Trash discovers a gilman holding something.

JiXib.png

eklektyk snipes the alien but doesn't kill.

ECRYt.png

The southern grenade kills a gilman and a deep one.

VOcUm.png

Bane II Humanity dies as predicted.
RIP Bane II Humanity :salute:, we'll never know why you chose that name.

gJJlo.png

Trash spots a Deep One far to the southwest. eklektyk isn't bothered by the extreme distance, and score another hit, and this time a kill.

hlkuT.png

Another Deep One found far to the northwest. Merk asks for support but MacGond is too far, and KickAss's line of fire is blocked by trees. Merk retreats, kneels and begs for mercy.

wwYOp.png

Trash spots yet another alien. KickAss fires at it and kills it.

S3j12.png

A Deep One is discovered to the southwest walking by Trash.

Tgaf8.png

eklektyk shoots at it by misses.

9I1He.png

Azira shoots as well, with the same result.

o411i.png

chzr tries his luck, but doesn't do any better.

moio8.png

Finally, Trash arms and throws his pulser at it.

TD4Xg.png

Merk takes revenge on the Deep One that killed Bane II Humanity. Good thing they don't have any kind of reaction fire though.

Y6APf.png

Desmodus Rotundus and Azira begin clearing the building. Desmodus spots a heavily armed gilman.

q1Vol.png

Merk approaches it from behind and uses his drill to great effect.

nWuwv.png

MacGond finds an alien far to the west.

WrklS.png

Canus had finally found a good hill to stand upon, and is now in direct line of fire. He scores a kill.

c0hQ1.png

A Deep One goes berserk in a little house to the northwest.

lDVMT.png

Finding the alien was rather tricky, only the square to the north of the stairs reveals it. Once found, it falls easily to the vibro blade.

i9bC0.png

We did pretty good, we saved more civilians than we lost and only one soldier was killed.

6P8Bc.png

Immediately we sell most of our loot, but keep a few Sonic Cannons and some ammo.

toVOG.png

Money doesn't stay long in X-Com's bank account. A replacement for the lost soldier and more scientists are hired.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom