Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's discover X-Com's fate in Superhuman TFTD - Update #52

Yeesh

Magister
What is the terror of death?
That we die our work incomplete.
What is the joy of life?
To die knowing our task is done.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For the Motherland! Comrades charge to kill those filthy capitalist aliens. HURRRRAAAAAAA

Working to research or limit the true damage X-Com does to the oceans? Fuck it, hand me a drill and you'll see some sparks :salute:

Very promising LP.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Now that you've encountered Lobstermen, how many Sonic Cannon shots does it take to bring them down? In my current game on veteran it takes an average of 3 shots from the front, with some units taking as much as 6 before going down. Fuckers force me to have a sniper squad of 4 tucked away in some lookout on the map... Or they did until I gained MC that is :smug:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
dextermorgan said:
Now that you've encountered Lobstermen, how many Sonic Cannon shots does it take to bring them down? In my current game on veteran it takes an average of 3 shots from the front, with some units taking as much as 6 before going down. Fuckers force me to have a sniper squad of 4 tucked away in some lookout on the map... Or they did until I gained MC that is :smug:

Last time I played TFTD, it took 2-3 shots from a Sonic Cannon to down a Lobsterman, regardless of where you hit it. But that was a long time ago, and propably on the MS-DOS version.

dextermorgan

Arcane
They've been a royal pain in the ass for me, especially since for some reason I never got Aquatoid terror mission - no calcinite - no drills. Raiding a base was just FUUUUU. Finally I succumbed to fail and used xcomutil to hack a small sub save and replace gilmen with calcinites.

Playing DOS, played the first part with version 1.0 and xcomutil, then updated to 2.1 (magnetic navigation wasn't showing up for research) and again applied xcomutil.

spekkio

Arcane
Stupendous performance, soldiers!

:salute:

Private aRyan reporting for duty!

korenzel

Educated
It took between 3 and 5 sonic cannon shots to kill a lobsterman in the previous mission, so that's not that much different. I have yet to see how effective M.C. will be on Superhuman.

Unpatched TFTD requires a lobsterman navigator for magnetic navigation, which I find is a good thing, because they're hard to get. The best way to deal with the crustaceans in ranged combat remains the thermal shock launcher, two hits are usually enough to stun them for good.
--------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 12 - M.C. Hell

Soldiers on standby immediately get assigned to the Triton. Among them is Black Bart Charley II, who recently recovered from his wounds.

mF6GL.png

Only eleven aquanauts are fit for combat, but we have a target a reduced team should be able to handle. The destination is the recently discovered alien colony.

L44gN.png

It's getting late when the Triton arrives, but colonies are so deep that it's always dark anyway.

QVsiq.png

We enter the first level of the colony. There are two objectives given to our soldiers :

- capture a live Tasoth, to unlock the secrets of M.C.
- get ahold of a Disruptor Pulse Launcher and some ammo for it.

Once both objectives are completed the team will dust off. The colony will remain intact until we have the means to capture both navigator and commander lobstermen.

l2CF8.png

As expected, it's very dark.

RIdMZ.png

KickAss throws a flare and discovers a huge jellyfish. Hallucinoids. Not nearly as dangerous as other large units, as long as you stay far away.

RTg2t.png

One sonic cannon blast later, the sea monstrosity is still alive.

Tj8YH.png

Next turn, the thing hasn't moved an inch, and KickAss shoots it again. This time, it falls down.

rPRdR.png

MacGond spots another Hallucinoid in the shadows.

EC4Bm.png

Yeesh III finds another one.

BdDdJ.png

Pulsers are very effective against them if they stand on ground. One is enough to kill the closest one.

gkgDd.png

Yeesh III falls prey to superior alien minds. His morale drops 65 points, and he panics.

6oagT.png

And again. Poor Yeesh, will you live to tell the horror you've seen ?

l7uwu.png

Stereotypical Villain throws a pulser at the second hallucinoid. It dies too.

959xr.png

Ahah! Here's objective 1 right next to our sub.

a1mAg.png

Stereotypical Villain gets in position.

QeYap.png

Gondolin runs at him with a stun rod, hits the lizard man, and Stereotypical Villain wounds him with his drill. It falls over without a sound, Good!

YSpyD.png

And objective 2 is right around the corner, very good. Gondolin moves closer and Azira III and eklektyk take position for some sniping, we don't need this one alive.

yL2aI.png

Stereotypical Villain grabs the stunned alien and runs back to the sub. The beast is heavy, he cannot make it just yet.

yK41q.png

Gondolin II checks one of the corridors for possible hostiles. It's empty. Meanwhile, objective 2 has fled somewhere to the north.

d9ORZ.png

An hallucinoid gets dangerously close to Gondolin.

fnXGL.png

Azira shoots, hits but it's not yet enough.

bFhCf.png

eklektyk earns another kill.

1a2Vy.png

Azira is targeted by an intense serie of M.C. attacks.

SVnc2.png

And falls under alien control, still armed with a Sonic Cannon...

22pae.png

Black Bart Charley opens the wrong door.

I10Nn.png

He took his chances and tried to get in melee range. The Tasoth didn't like this plan and shot him down.
RIP Black Bart Charley II :salute:, you were our longest surviving operative yet.

6Hrmk.png

Azira shoots down KickAss while under alien control. One of our best snipers ! eklektyk executes swift justice, and deals with the traitor.
RIP KickAss :salute:, your accuracy was incredible.
RIP Azira III :salute:, I like to think we saved your from a fate worse than death.

ol4fw.png

Pulsers are thrown to deal with the Tentaculat and the Tasoth near Black Bart Charley's corpse. The first one ended up far off and doesn't do any significant damage.

mwWMK.png

The second one deals with the Tentaculat, but leaves the Tasoth alive.

4juii.png

MacGond reveals himself as a puppet. He's armed with a drill but still has some grenades, that could end badly.

fDacx.png

chzr II succumbs to alien control as well. He's completely unarmed though, so there not much risk.

K1kpG.png

Yeesh regains enough senses to open the door and reveal the wounded Tasoth. eklektyk ends its life.

QvDc8.png

Gondolin II gets shot while trying to find objective 2 far to the north.
RIP Gondolin II :salute:, your courage had no equal but without backup you couldn't prevail.

47SeV.png

Our stunned Tasoth wakes up and jumps from Stereotypical Villain's backpack. Merk stuns it back.

Sd5gp.png

Yeesh resisted the alien control attempts for a remarkable time, but couldn't resist forever.

4Vy3V.png

chzr spots a Tasoth while making it back to the sub after a panicked sortie. He runs to grab Azira III's gun and shoots the alien down.

Lqu7T.png

Merkwürdigliebe throws a grenade at him, wounding the sharpshooter severely.

ySpN0.png

Finally, all live aquanauts make it back in the sub and escape during a temporary lapse in M.C. attempts.

lL740.png

Well, a partial success at least, we got a live Tasoth but failed to secure a Disruptor Pulse Launcher. We'll have to go back.

HZij2.png

chzr II is wounded and earns some medical leave. All the panic attacks he resisted made him quite courageous.

Vz2YR.png

hsANE.png

Dn92X.png

l9Sg4.png

SJ4fW.png

p6Q0u.png

d2s8G.png

2sjzC.png

New soldiers arrive.

3kVHg.png

We haven't had the monthly terror yet, but our score is sky high, so we could just skip it.

KBu4j.png

Filled with new soldiers and revealed M.C. puppets, the Triton sets off again to the colony.

Gondolin

Arcane
MacGond reveals himself as a puppet.

Gondolin II gets shot while trying to find objective 2 far to the north.

:x

Sign me up for a fourth tour of duty.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Storyfag said:
Why isn't my second character in the soldier roster yet? :decline:

And mine? I didnt get any spotlight yet, not even sniping my fellow conscripts...

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Black said:
Azira you faggot :rpgcodex:

Funny, usually it's my character that gets shot in the back. It's the first LP that any incarnation has survived that many missions, so I knew something was up. :smug:

Don't worry, I'm sure Azira IV won't have any such issues.. :salute:

korenzel

Educated
Gondolin said:
Sign me up for a fourth tour of duty.

MacGond isn't dead yet, and remains our best grenadier and highest ranking officer, despite his rather weak MC defenses. The waiting line is rather long, I'll add you when he dies or if we run out of soldiers.

Storyfag said:
Why isn't my second character in the soldier roster yet? :decline:

Malakal said:
And mine? I didnt get any spotlight yet, not even sniping my fellow conscripts...

Don't worry, you're both very near the top of the list, you'll get your chances very soon.

Sneak peek from tomorrow's update :

usCLP.png

-------------------------------------

M.C. is truly horrible in Superhuman. Aliens make many, many attempts (I counted at least 10 per turn) and weak soldiers are controlled in a single one.

dextermorgan

Arcane
korenzel said:

Three targets and you have to move twice to attack them all. Does Sergio have enough TUs to hit them all? We'll have to wait an see...

Also on the screen: waiting line's moved up 2 places (if not 3).

lightbane

Arcane
My guy has been killed? Again? Bah, it doesn't matter, sign up lightbane mk III, hopefully this model will last much more than the first two.

oscar

Arcane
you were our longest surviving operative yet.

Wouldn't that be me now? :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom