Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

Witch got collar-grabbed. Nice one.

Watch out, the Kwa can be almost as treacherous as this dungeon is, and twice as much a mindfuck.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks, I'll tread carefully and keep my eyes open. :P

New York (or rather Manhattan) is p. cool and impressive though. It's my first time here, and I'm liking it a lot.

torpid

Liturgist
Missed the last update, nice! Good to see those skull charts were actually useful. And now more mindfuck coming up!

Enjoy New Yawk. I thought you were American -- what country are you from?

torpid

Liturgist
NEW YORK POST

New York, April 7. -- Since yesterday, dozens of sightings of an odd and dangerous-looking young woman traipsing through the subway system have been reported to police precincts around the city. Armed with a short sword that appears to be genuine, and holding a compass and subway map in her other hand, the mysterious wanderer has been seen as far north as Norwood in the Bronx, all the way down to Brighton Beach in the south. Witnesses have reported seeing her trying to knock down walls looking for what she claimed were "secret rooms," asking elderly passengers to "identify" miscellaneous bits and pieces of trash, and in one distressing case attacking a man on a platform.

"She came up to me with a discarded razor and asked me to identify the dagger," says Ted Mulch from Flatbush. "Since she was holding a sword in her other hand, I obliged and said it looked very effective."

"She was in front of me at the turnstile, and she tried jumping over it. When that didn't work, she shoved it open with her shoulder, turned to me and said, "I lost some HP for that," and then she was gone," says Antonio Lorcita from Elmhurst.

But the most alarming incident took place at Tremont Avenue Station in the Bronx, where passengers report that the young woman attacked an obese man waiting for his train on the platform, slicing off his book bag and coming close to wounding him, before the train's arrival made her to flee.

"I've got you know you filthy Orc, she shouted," explains a still visibly distressed Chris Benson, who witnessed the attack. "She was really swinging for the fences, but the guy tripped and fell and so she only got his bag."

Initially dismissive of what one officer called "just another nutso in the subway," the police are now on the case following this dramatic escalation, and seek to determine whether these incidents are linked to the recent "I've got you now Uukrul!" graffiti written in giant bat blood that have appeared throughout the city, and which were until now thought to be the work of Haitian Voodoo practicioners.

"We are still trying to determine who or what is Uukrul," says Lt. Davis from 67th Precinct. "It could hold the key to this whole matter."

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
torpid said:
NEW YORK POST

New York, April 7. -- Since yesterday, dozens of sightings of an odd and dangerous-looking young woman traipsing through the subway system have been reported to police precincts around the city. Armed with a short sword that appears to be genuine, and holding a compass and subway map in her other hand, the mysterious wanderer has been seen as far north as Norwood in the Bronx, all the way down to Brighton Beach in the south. Witnesses have reported seeing her trying to knock down walls looking for what she claimed were "secret rooms," asking elderly passengers to "identify" miscellaneous bits and pieces of trash, and in one distressing case attacking a man on a platform.

"She came up to me with a discarded razor and asked me to identify the dagger," says Ted Mulch from Flatbush. "Since she was holding a sword in her other hand, I obliged and said it looked very effective."

"She was in front of me at the turnstile, and she tried jumping over it. When that didn't work, she shoved it open with her shoulder, turned to me and said, "I lost some HP for that," and then she was gone," says Antonio Lorcita from Elmhurst.

But the most alarming incident took place at Tremont Avenue Station in the Bronx, where passengers report that the young woman attacked an obese man waiting for his train on the platform, slicing off his book bag and coming close to wounding him, before the train's arrival made her to flee.

"I've got you know you filthy Orc, she shouted," explains a still visibly distressed Chris Benson, who witnessed the attack. "She was really swinging for the fences, but the guy tripped and fell and so she only got his bag."

Initially dismissive of what one officer called "just another nutso in the subway," the police are now on the case following this dramatic escalation, and seek to determine whether these incidents are linked to the recent "I've got you now Uukrul!" graffiti written in giant bat blood that have appeared throughout the city, and which were until now thought to be the work of Haitian Voodoo practicioners.

"We are still trying to determine who or what is Uukrul," says Lt. Davis from 67th Precinct. "It could hold the key to this whole matter."

:lol:

:love:

torpid said:
Enjoy New Yawk. I thought you were American

You thought I was American? Gosh.

torpid said:
what country are you from?

That's top top secret. ;)

Crooked Bee

Patron
19: URSHAS and the Secret Temple Rooms

In which we run, fight, and genuflect!

Previously on this LP, we made it through the first room-of-many-doors in the Beyond Reason dungeon only to reach another one, unmappable to boot.

7342.jpg

Adding insult to injury, our compass isn't working either. Now where do we go next? Confused and afraid of getting hopelessly lost, I choose to ... just rush ahead. Straight to the east we go!

7388.jpg

We enter a corridor. Thankfuly, it's mappable, which means this isn't a puzzle area. Let's proceed.

7389.jpg

Five skeletons, of various strength, engage us a couple of steps down the corridor.
Bee tries doing the X-TREME collar-grabbing thing (which killed the witch in the last update) on a skeleton:

7390.jpg

But the undead thingie drains her exp!
:decline:
I'd rather it drained HP, not experience. Exp is p. precious, you know. :(

spekkio casts SEL to boost our AC, and Kalos tries turning undead:

7391.jpg

Thanks to the silver cross he's carrying, Kalos' Turn Undead ability works wonders: a skeleton is killed outright, two more severely wounded, and another one loses ca. 1/5 of his HP.
Lord Rocket does his melee thing:

7392.jpg

Skeletal Phantoms are pretty tough physically, but still, Rocket's swing wounds him a bit.
In Kalos' prayer arsenal, there's a quite specific incantation called IDRIS:

IDRIS Peaceful Bones

Ufthu, Supreme Lord of Corruption,
Through this ring I call your divine essence,
Take back these lifeless bodies that assail us,
That struggle against death's mortal coil.

IDRIS is a prayer to Ufthu specifically designed to aid against the undead.
So yeah, Kalos attempts reciting IDRIS, but Ufthu doesn't answer. :/

In an unexpected turn of events,

7393.jpg

Gosh, Skeletal Phantoms' regular attacks can inflict poison. Not good.
But spekkio-kun has a trick up his sleeve: now that he's got the silver ring in the Arkana of Healing, he can cast an anti-poison spell, ISO:

7 ISO Air

This incantation involves drawing the air from one afflicted by poison into the caster's own lungs. This will cure the poisoning.

spekkio cures Lord Rocket from poison. Truth be told, from the spell description, I expected ISO to make spekkio poisoned instead, given that he was supposed to draw the poisonous air into his own lungs. Now THAT would've been trolling! But nope, that didn't happen. Alas?

But anyway. Nothing exciting happens in the next few turns: we just keep hitting at the remaining skeletons, and they keep hitting back at us. Finally, when only one Skeletal Phantom is left, Kalos successfully recites IDRIS:

7394.jpg

And the foe is killed right away. Yay!

7395.jpg

What, THAT is all the experience we get for this totally draining battle?
(Well, the battle wasn't too hard, really, it's just that I wasted a lot of virtue and psychic points on it.)

7396.jpg

A coif is our loot. Kalos picks it up.

And so the corridor goes on...

7397.jpg

Gosh, it's long.

7398.jpg

Great Scott! This looks hardcore.

7399.jpg

:rage:
What kind of fucking fuck is that!? "Rots some of his food"? Really!?
:(

Oh well.
The good news is, Kalos manages to successfully recite IDRIS, the anti-undead prayer, in one go:

7400.jpg

Hell yeah! The enemy ranks are devastated!
:incline:

Next turn Kalos is, however, stunned:

7401.jpg

Bee lays her hands on Kalos:

7402.jpg

I feel embarrassed every time I do this. :oops:

7403.jpg

Stop touching me, you undead freak! Gosh.
In a few turns...

7404.jpg

7405.jpg

:rage: :rage:

7406.jpg

:rage: :rage: :rage:

The enemies keep on rotting our food every couple of turns. That's quite ... rage-inducing!
We're totally out of spell and prayer points by the end of this fight. That's why it takes us quite many a turn and many a frustration...

7407.jpg

...to finally bring the two remaining foes down:

7408.jpg

Oh-kay, not bad. But our spellcasters get much more exp than Bee and Rocket. That's kind of unfair.

Further down the corridor...

7409.jpg

Oh no not this shit again. We're stunned and weak, you know. Death seems pretty nigh!

7410.jpg

Sure. :smug:

7411.jpg

As you can see from the automap, in running away we basically jumped over a couple of squares. Good thing the enemies, trying to surprise us, attacked us from behind -- otherwise we would've been pushed back down the corridor, which wouldn't have been good.

7412.jpg

:twisted:
Also, folks: you see our food metre, right? It's almost empty FFS! The bloody undead did manage to rot almost all of our food! R00fles. This game sure loves its trolling and frustrating the player.

Finally (!) the corridor comes to an end.

7413.jpg

A sanctuary door. :love:
(We're totally out of food, by the way.)

7414.jpg

We activate the URSHAS sanctuary using the goddamn bloody copy protection thingie, and our HP is fully restored. Nice.

7415.jpg

Okay, still quite a long way to go until level 7.
We teleport to BORASAL to visit the shop and buy some food. And just in time, it seems -- spekkio is getting hungry:

7416.jpg

A character dies if he remains hungry for too long, so we should hurry! After all, we don't want our dear spekkio to die, do we? :roll:
Having stocked up on food, we then teleport to Sagaris in order to identify ourselves some items.

7417.jpg

7418.jpg

Shiny, yay!

7419.jpg

7420.jpg

Kewl.

7421.jpg

7422.jpg

Nice!

7423.jpg

7424.jpg

Oh well. Back to shopping now!
Let's sell some things now, shall we? First the Leather coif...

7425.jpg

...then the Silver pin...

7426.jpg

...and finally the precious emerald:

7427.jpg

Good.
We attempt buying a Greatsword for Rocket...

7428.jpg

...but the game warns us that Rocket can't use it yet. Yay for handholding!
What 'bout a Halberd?

7429.jpg

Meh. Same thing.
A Warhammer maybe?

7430.jpg

Rocket, I am disappoint. :/

Disappointed in our bro Rocket, we're off to the Circle of Magi to check on spekkio's progress:

7431.jpg

We're also allowed to take a peek at a new passage in the archives:

7432.jpg

Hmmmm. A dragon playing a game with us? I smell a lot of butthurt ahead. :P
But anyway, spekkio is indeed a true gansta bro now:

7433.jpg

Looks ... fashionable. :roll:
We'll visit the temples a bit later. Let's head back to URSHAS for now to have a rest:

7434.jpg

The idea is to finish exploring the Beyond Reason dungeon first, before moving on to other things.
Four orcs ambush us as we head back down the long corridor:

7435.jpg

spekkio casts a stronger version of SEL, SELMUR:

6 SELMUR The Copper Armor

Copper is a nobler metal than iron, and so this Spell is more potent than Sell The strength of its magical armor is such that it will bear twice the damage of Sel's armor. However, like Sel, it is a Spell that is not long lasting.

Our AC is significantly improved:

7436.jpg

Bee goes X-TREME:

7437.jpg

:smug:
One of the orcs is an Orc Leader, and he can cast an AC-reducing spell:

7438.jpg

Notice that our AC has gone down a few points. Thankfully it doesn't annul SELMUR, and so our AC still remains higher than normal.
No problems in this fight, really:

7439.jpg

Plus 201 coins for loot.
Movin' on.

Back in the unmappable room of many doors, we notice the compass is now working. WTF?

7440.jpg

Oh well, :incline: anyway. Otherwise I'm not sure I'd be able to figure this part of the dungeon out.
To cut a long story short, most of the doors in this room simply teleport you to the other side of it. Only the central doors in each of the walls matter.

Another trolling thing is, the northern door leads to yet another room of many doors, so I got totally confused at first. :dizzy: In that 3rd many-doored hall, it is again only the central doors that lead to somewhere meaningful.
The northernmost central door hides a passage:

7441.jpg

There's an inscription here, which spekkio attempts translating with NGOSMUR:

7442.jpg

Surprisingly enough, it does get partially translated:

7443.jpg

"Here lies ?iriy??, bold defender of the light". A tomb, yay! :P
We also stumble on a locked grate we can't yet open:

7444.jpg

This precludes us from further exploring the tomb for now, so let's head back and explore some more.
The western central door in the 3rd many-doored room hides a small treasure:

7445.jpg

And the eastern one, a weapon:

7446.jpg

What's that, I wonder?

7447.jpg

A hammer! Lord Rocket picks it up.

7448.jpg

Yup, we'll have to identify the hammer later.
After some wandering around and getting lost :)roll:), we enter the southernmost door (in the second room of many doors):

7449.jpg

Hmm, something important must be here for sure.

7450.jpg

A key, wow!

7451.jpg

Lord Rocket, being our party keykeeper, picks it up.

7452.jpg

Nothing of further interest here, so let's head back to the northernmost room, the one with the locked grate, and see if our new key fits.

7453.jpg

And fit it does! :incline:
Now we can finally explore behind the grate.

7454.jpg

A tomb indeed. Of someone named Kiriya. As you know from the fragment of the diary I posted on the previous page on this LP, Kiriya was one of Mara's party. Apparently he was slain -- by Uukrul?
Anywayz. We are presented with four options. I choose to Slide the lid off:

7455.jpg

Bee, being the only female in the party, takes the mysterious mirror. But of course! :P

7456.jpg

:smug:
Gotta love this game's sense of humour. We'll need to identify the mirror, too.

Oh, by the way. There are still two passages left to explore in the very first room of many doors, so we head back there to clear this area. Nothing interesting there though, just another skull drawing which we already don't need to pay attention to.
After that we head back to URSHAS -- attacked by some kind of fungus along the way!

7457.jpg

Hell yeah, a mushroom attack! Yay for green mushrooms!

7458.jpg

Those green fuckers can release a harmful spray of acid:

7459.jpg

7460.jpg

spekkio is damaged the most. Oh well.
The Creeping Fungus is revealed to be a Magic Mushroom, by the way. :roll: Fighting magic mushrooms, lol. The devs surely were on 'shrooms this time.

7461.jpg

spekkio's spellcasting comes in really handy in this battle.

7462.jpg

Oh my, those mushrooms can heal themselves! :o
Also, you've gotta love the acid spray animation:

7463.jpg

Next-gen!
Finally the last of the mushrooms goes down:

7464.jpg

:salute:

7465.jpg

We get some experience, but no treasure. Meh.
Back at URSHAS we rest up a bit -- and now it's time to explore the secret rooms in two of the temples!

:yeah:

It's just that thing Fowyr was talking about. So we teleport to BORAMIS.
But first things first. Let's check if Kalos can get new rings.

7466.jpg

He does indeed receive a new ring from Fshofth!

7467.jpg

But it sure feels like spekkio is progressing faster than Kalos for some reason. :?

But anyways. The Fshofth temple hides the first secret room:

7468.jpg

Four (?) HOYAMOQs do the trick:

7469.jpg

And we go in.

7470.jpg

The corridor leads us to some kind of inscription:

7471.jpg

We can't translate it with neither NGOSMUR nor UMESH though.
Oh well. There's also a painting here:

7472.jpg

We approach it.

7473.jpg

Hmmm. Let's, uhm, Peer closer?

7474.jpg

Oops.
Uhm, Clean off the dust?

7475.jpg

Oopsie daisie.
Search the painting perhaps?

7476.jpg

Nope.
Okay, let's Summon Fshofth, then!

7477.jpg

An eagle? More like a falcon, amirite? :smug:
So, let's Touch the eagle, eh?

7478.jpg

Oh. :/
The correct option is of course Genuflect.

Wikipedia said:
Genuflection (or genuflexion), bending at least one knee to the ground, was from early times a gesture of deep respect for a superior. In 328 BC, Alexander the Great introduced into his court etiquette some form of genuflection already in use in Persia. In the Byzantine Empire even senators were required to genuflect to the emperor. In medieval Europe, one demonstrated respect for a king or noble by going down on one knee.

As we choose to genuflect, something weird happens:

7479.jpg

And that's it. I wonder if this thing has any effect other than "oh, cool"; at least I haven't been able to find any. :?
Oh well, the first secret room is explored. The second one is in the Ufthu temple. But first let's head to Sagaris to identify something.

7480.jpg

7481.jpg

The future, eh? Kewl. :P
Let's try it out, then?

7482.jpg

Rub it, baby!

7483.jpg

:? Don't even ask.
We teleport to URSHAS to have a rest and replenish our psychic and virtue points, and off to the temple area again we go! The Shrine of Ufthu, here we come.

7484.jpg

And here's the secret door we've been looking for.
Three HOYAMOQs suffice:

7485.jpg

There's another totally untranslatable inscription in here:

7486.jpg

As well as another door:

7487.jpg

7488.jpg

:twisted:
We find some treasure here:

7489.jpg

Bee takes the money!
To the south there's another door:

7490.jpg

Some kind of weapon is lying on the ground behind it:

7491.jpg

A nasty knife! :twisted:
Bee, being the bravest one, picks it up. :roll:

7492.jpg

:twisted: :twisted:
Okay so what do we d---

7493.jpg

Oh hi there.

7494.jpg

Two Robed Men -- the guardians of the crypt? -- ambush us.
As they attack us, they are revealed to be Monks.

7495.jpg

One down, one more to go.
RALKOR, SEHKMUR, AMRASAKIM and other spells and prayers prove quite useful here. Bee's collar-grabbing ability is also nice if not exactly powerful:

7496.jpg

Not everything goes as planned though:

7497.jpg

Bee changes her weapon to Long sword.

7498.jpg

:o

7499.jpg

:decline: Kalos is silenced FFS.
The second monk is extremely resistant to all kinds of damage -- he's a Master Monk, not a regular monk, after all -- so, having run out of spell points, we have to resort to using the Healing salve:

7500.jpg

(One thing I liked about this game is that it almost always gives you some wrong and totally useless options alongside the only correct one when using an item.)
And then the Master Monk presses a button and something awful happens:

7501.jpg

Now THAT's what I call close! Poor spekkio-kun. :/
That Master Monk feller is pretty tough, you know.

7502.jpg

Will we be able to make it, I wonder? Oh, and who said "cakewalk"!?

7503.jpg

Gosh, Bee is out of weapons! :decline:

7504.jpg

Well, at least Kalos has recovered from silence.

7505.jpg

Just in time for his RALKOR to put the Master Monk to an eternal rest.
Victory, yay! :salute:

7506.jpg

:incline: of experience!

7507.jpg

:incline: of loot.

7508.jpg

Okay so what do we have her---

7509.jpg

Now THIS is nasty. I mean, we hardly have any HP left!

7510.jpg

Luckily for us, the dogs are extremely weak and die in one hit.

7511.jpg

Trololo.

7512.jpg

Nothing of interest here though. I guess this concludes our exploration of the secret temple rooms. Well, that was funny but ... a bit underwhelming, I suppose. :? Do they even serve any purpose at all? It is a mystery!

7513.jpg

Still a long way to making level 7. So stay tuned!

Next time: more mindfuck!

lightbane

Arcane
7397.jpg

Corridor after corridor, it's almost like it was a corridor shooter FPS of nowadays!

7497.jpg

Now that's a real MAN, breaking a frigging broadsword with his bare hands. I suppose he's a Master of the martial art style known as Hokuto Shinken.

Crooked Bee

Patron
SCO said:
Monk multiclasses were always overpowered.

Right. But after all, monks are kinda supposed to be über-cool, fighting bare-handed as they are against heavily-armoured opponents.

maestro2k said:
Bee, being the bravest one, picks it up. Rolleyes

I'm thinking Bee REALLY picked it up because it was shiny. ;)

You got me there. :P Nothing as attractive to a girl as a blood-covered kitchen knife!

lightbane said:
Corridor after corridor, it's almost like it was a corridor shooter FPS of nowadays!

It's just one long corridor, silly. ;)
On a more serious note, the level design is really nice in this game -- seemingly simple yet in fact quite tricky. I wish FPSs -- or better, RPGs -- nowadays were like that.

lightbane said:
Now that's a real MAN, breaking a frigging broadsword with his bare hands. I suppose he's a Master of the martial art style known as Hokuto Shinken.

Yeah, the fucker broke both of Bee's weapons. He may be TEH MAN, but I don't care: to me, he's just a real bloody bastard. :rightful rage:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crooked Bee said:
Will we be able to make it, I wonder? Oh, and who said "cakewalk"!?

:oops:

Crooked Bee said:
Nothing of interest here though. I guess this concludes our exploration of the secret temple rooms. Well, that was funny but ... a bit underwhelming, I suppose. :? Do they even serve any purpose at all?
Don't think so, but surely they are fun :lol:

Crooked Bee said:
Next time: more mindfuck!

Triple :yeah:

Good job! It's best ongoing LP on the Codex, BTW. :M

spekkio

Arcane
7406.jpg

Meanwhile, in 2nd row:

EdlNh.jpg

oSXaY.jpg

NsRce.png

================================================

7433.jpg

7J9MA.jpg

7437.jpg

rf5KY.jpg

7501.jpg

The fuck is this shit!?

Fowyr said:
Good job! It's best ongoing LP on the Codex, BTW.
Right after Andy's FF8 LP... :M

And some people still wonder why current games are dumbed down...
Can you imagine current "broad audience" enjoying (buying) a game like this?

r00fles!

torpid

Liturgist
:yeah:

Back in business with a huge update! Some pretty scary combat in this one. And developers seemed to have a thing for mushrooms back then, because the M&M games also have wild fungi attacking you. Old-school RPGs -- where even innocuous-looking plants become your mortal foes.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Nice LP, Bee.

I am slowly reading FF:4 heroes of light and I am enjoying the LP and the black/white cat drama. (is alting fun? :P )

Crooked Bee

Patron
Krraloth said:
Nice LP, Bee.

I am slowly reading FF:4 heroes of light and I am enjoying the LP and the black/white cat drama. (is alting fun? :P )

Thanks.

Krraloth said:
is alting fun? :P

Dunno, I don't have any alts. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom