Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's discover X-Com's fate in Superhuman TFTD - Update #52

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
13.jpg

ironyuri

ironyuri falls under alien control. No surprise there.

:decline: Also, what do you mean no surprise?

ironyuri is thrown a Sonic Cannon and shoots down the puppeteer. He then drops his gun.

How did I recover from M.C.? Also: :incline:

ironyuri shoots down the alien Tentaculat

:incline:

Yeh, anyway, how the fuck did I recover from MC to end up raping the tentaculats?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ironyuri said:
Yeh, anyway, how the fuck did I recover from MC to end up raping the tentaculats?

Because heroes aren't born, but made. :honourblade: :smug:

Hellraiser

Arcane
But the real danger comes from the south! A hidden Tentaculat approaches at a rapid pace, and bites Hellraiser II!
RIP Hellraiser II Salute, you channeled many M.C. attacks before your fall, and were a decent scout.

Yeah you can put Hellraiser on the infinite cloning list. Those xenos won't kill themselves after all.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Oh yeah, put me on the list too, maybe I can live through a mission now.

korenzel

Educated
Ulminati said:
:decline:

I distinctly recall Warcupine calling dibs on the first disruptor

Indeed, but Warcupine III is currently assigned to Pacific-1 and couldn't take part in the assault.

ironyuri said:
:decline: Also, what do you mean no surprise?
You were the first to fall to alien M.C. attacks during the early month terror mission. Which revealed your relatively low mental defensive strength.

ironyuri said:
It's certainly less glorious than RK47's proposition, but M.C. is only temporary. It only lasts one turn, after which the aliens must regain control of the possessed soldier. When the puppeteers die or panic, no more M.C. attacks are done, and controlled soldiers come back on our side.

pajak713 said:
Also - how is it even mathematically possible to be 103% accurate?
Does. Not. Compute.

This is something I've often wondered. I'd like the game to cap the accuracy at 100%, because I always fear it may wrap around and end with 3%. In practice, 103% and above accuracy feel like 99%, seeing as soldiers can still miss, although very rarely.

------------------------------------

UPDATE 19 - Sneak Attack

3RzAb.png

Aquanauts reach the lowest level of the colony. This mission is different from those we've had so far, in that we don't need to kill all aliens to win. In fact, we don't need to kill a single one.

NXuHQ.png

We enter the level and see eklektyk in a difficult position. Alone, on the second floor of the colony, cut off from the rest of the squad. He makes it back to the entrance area without seeing any hostile.

ppOvC.png

The team begins exploring the area in pairs, sticking to corners and little alcoves to avoid getting any attention. Over a dozen doors are opened each alien turn, but none are spotted.

BxFjb.png

Thrombone II spots a Lobsterman in the distance. It's too risky to approach, he hides in a closet.

oPdTv.png

Black Bart Charley finds a suspicious shadow in the darkness of the first floor. He kneels and prays he was not detected.

vBjHr.png

A dozen turns later, Black Bart Charley finds a room with some strange apparatus below him.

nggtZ.png

A conveniently placed vent is right above the device.

W1OXX.png

lightbane programs a tricky path for a Disruptor torpedo, covering almost half of the colony's width.

t1pFE.png

The rocket makes it to its target, and explodes. It is followed by another, weaker explosion. The strange device is no more.

f2cEh.png

Aquanauts get signaled that the mission is accomplished. They just have to make it back to the elevator, and they can go home.

D7hat.png

lightbane is the last soldier to arrive, and none too early, as aliens are getting closer to our location.

Tik6W.png

lightbane takes the long way around to avoid eventual reaction fire. The first part of the team is ready to evacuate.

DVNlv.png

And the second part is ready as well.

QrE2i.png

Not eager to linger around any longer, the aquanauts get out.

lJmmK.png

The attack was a success. And it turns out we killed thirty-three aliens on the colony entrance level alone. It's likely a similar number was roaming the colony lower level, we were very lucky to avoid them all.

Our score gets an overwhelming 1172 boost, this will be enough to put us back in the positive.

4pVRp.png

We used many Disruptor torpedoes and lost all the Triton contained when we embarked for the second level, mostly some flares and thermal tazers.

1s82e.png

Selling gathered M.C. Readers should be enough to recoup our losses.

iqTcq.png

And our score is indeed quite high. The committee might even be pleased with us.

B6ZDM.png

Very pleased, in fact. We got a 300 bonus from... something ? Eurasia is unhappy but with two terror missions failed in their area, it was to be expected.

With armor being on the way, it's time to choose our assignment policy.

A - Everyone indiscriminately. Rookie or veteran, sniper or scout, everyone gets a suit of armor following the order of the aquanaut list.

B - Need only. Scouts get armor as they're the most likely to get shot. Snipers and rear officers behind the lines don't need any.

C - Need first. Scouts get armor first, then snipers and officers if production is fast enough.

D - Officers only. Soldiers need to earn a kill to be allowed armor. Scouts who usually don't shoot a thing are unlikely to wear them before their death.

E - Officers first. High ranking aquanauts get armor first, then rookies and scouts if production allows.

Pope Amole

Educated
So the second Pope has survived being on the edge of assaulting upper levels of colony and even had enough willpower to resist slaughtering his comrades in arms while being under molecural control, all despite his miserable bravery... Surely inclline compared to the first one.

As for the poll - C. I'm not voting A with Pope being where he is on the list, B is too Xtreme, as is D and E(it's not like officers here do anything apart from shooting members of their own squad). So C, stick it where it's really needed.

I was hoping for a glorious slaughter with only a few aquanauts making it out alive, not missile-diplomacy :x

D. Armour is no replacement for guts.

Gondolin

Arcane
Undead Phoenix said:
I was hoping for a glorious slaughter with only a few aquanauts making it out alive, not missile-diplomacy

This. You took the easy way out! :decline:

Voting C. Scouts and the squad members who enter enemy subs should get top priority. The commander who hides in the back of the Triton doesn't need it.

eklektyk

Erudite
GarfunkeL said:
D - Officers only. Soldiers need to earn a kill to be allowed armor. Scouts who usually don't shoot a thing are unlikely to wear them before their death.

if new meat scout gets armor and alien MC him/she/it then it will be imposible to oneshot kill him/she/it ... :M

it will be much safer for fresh mea.*akhm* recruits to first prove themselves in battle before reciving armor

ps. second part was somewhat shorter than expected...but nevertheless exeptionaly good trolling for masacrefapingdexters expecting glorious carnage and x-com's downfall.Superbly Played, General! :salute: :smug:

Black

Arcane
D- want armour? Work for it.
Also I have to agree with my fellow seamen on underwater nukes- they suck and take the element of buttrape from the game.
Drop them :rpgcodex:

Ashery

Prophet
:salute: Damn impressive.

Armor wise, go for E. If you focus on the scouts first, it'll take ages before you move on to the officers as all newly produced armor will go to replace the sets lost whenever a scout dies (And they will still die).

lightbane

Arcane
D, they need to earn their first blood before anything else. Also, :decline: for not doing a glorious rampage.

dextermorgan

Arcane
eklektyk said:
ps. second part was somewhat shorter than expected...but nevertheless exeptionaly good trolling for masacrefapingdexters expecting glorious carnage and x-com's downfall.Superbly Played, General! :salute: :smug:

:D Don't really care if I can't participate in the carnage. Plus it was very well played, as it's in everyone's best interest that this LP continues on rather than end in a massacre while still in its infancy.

I vote D so Eklektyk can feel even safer while sniping rookies. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom