Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Update?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
emot-iiam.gif

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Currently at page 35 of the 4 Heroes of Light, so far, so awesome.

What puzzles me is that the town of Invidia was dominated by the Mammon while in italian, invidia means envy.
I thought they were going all foreboding with the town naming.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
lightbane said:
Khorne demands more blood (and updates)!!!

Beware of what you ask, bro lightbane. ;)

Krraloth said:
What puzzles me is that the town of Invidia was dominated by the Mammon while in italian, invidia means envy.
I thought they were going all foreboding with the town naming.

Yeah, that didn't make any sense to me either.

Crooked Bee

Patron
20: Dungeons and Dragons, Part 1

In which we start exploring the dungeon of the dragon, fight a lot, and encounter a totally mysterious mirror.

Previously on this LP, we finished exploring the Dungeon Beyond Reason. In the manual, the sanctuary we're currently in, URSHAS, is called the Sanctuary of the Dragon, so I'll be calling the next dungeon just that: the dungeon of the dragon. :twisted:

Sounds familiar? Well, sure thing. That doesn't have anything to do with D&D though. And no, I don't mean the "I want to be a dragon" Bioware-created Codex meme. I mean, as every reader of this LP totally must remember, the last archival passage we were allowed to read at the Circle of Magi:

7432.jpg

"A game of his own choosing"? Yay, a dragon's game! Shall we win at it? I wonder... :roll:
Not in this update anyway. Too many screenshots to sort through. :P For now let's head to Sagaris and have some things identified.
First, a hammer:

7531.jpg

Next, the ominous Nasty kitchen knife, the one totally covered with blood:

7532.jpg

300 coins! FFS. Oh well, okay.

7533.jpg

A sentient blade? :roll: Well, 'kay, it'll definitely come in handy! I assume it is supposed to deal more damage to enemy spellcasters; that's at least what it sounds like from Sagaris' description.
Let's also have a look at the cross we got for loot after the temple battle:

7534.jpg

A cross of silver... Meh, we already bought one for Kalos several updates ago. Money wasted. :/ We'll need to sell this one, then.
We now teleport to the shopping area and visit the Forge to repair Bee's weapons -- the evil Master Monk broke both of them, as you may remember.

7535.jpg

7536.jpg

That done, we equip Bee with the repaired Broadsword and enter the shop. Let's sell the second silver cross:

7537.jpg

We bought one for 2000 coins, but sell one for 629. That's monopoly for ya. :P
We also buy some Cones of incense, maybe two or three...

7538.jpg

...just because I'd like to see just what burning a cone of incense at an altar does.
And in order to see that, we must go to one of the temples:

7539.jpg

At an altar, we press B for awesome some incense-burning. Has anything changed, you ask? Yup, it has.

7540.jpg

Our dear Kalos now has 49 virtue points, and he had only 34 before burning the incense. Duly noted. *Makes note in her uukrul.txt: burning incense increases virtue points.*
Oh, and we burn two more cones of incense. Just to make sure. I'm wasteful like that.

7541.jpg

79 virtue points! :incline:
But it sure is a costly way of increasing them. So we'd better not resort to it often.

Oh, and you know what? Remember how we found a Medal of Escape near the MELAS teleporter in the Dungeon Beyond Reason? I suspect you don't, but we teleport to MELAS just in case -- and lo and behold, we find another medal there!

7542.jpg

I like checking on places I've already been to, but this is, I think, the first time that strategy of mine has paid off. It looks like new medals appear in this box from time to time, or at least I assume so. I dunno at what intervals or due to what actions they appear, though, so we'll just be returning here from time to time.

7543.jpg

Now spekkio's carrying two medals of escape! Yay! (Not that we've needed those medals so far, but I assume there must be a use for them at some point. I hope so, yeah.)

Oh-kay. The time has come. We teleport back to URSHAS and exit it through the eastern, uhm, exit:

7544.jpg

7545.jpg

The dungeon of the dragon, here we come! A totally awesome group of adventuring codexers! What danger awaits us further inside? What ominous thingies? :twisted: We'll know soon enough...

7546.jpg

The very first door we enter hides a nasty encounter with snakes! Ouch.

7547.jpg

Three snakes walk into a bar, 1 snake says to another ''why do humans measure us in inches?'' The other snake replies, ''because we don't have any feet!!''

So, uhm, where was I? Oh yeah, snakes!! Three of them.
spekkio casts SELMUR to raise our AC by 8 points. And then...

7548.jpg

My, these snakes sure bite hard.
Bee tries doing her collar-grabbing trick...

7549.jpg

...but, alas, the snakes don't wear collars. :/
AMRASAKIM!!

7550.jpg

spekkio's spell does wound the Death Adder a bit. Rocket and Bee are there to help. First Bee strikes at the adder for 44 hp, then Rocket for 23 hp, and then Bee, again, for 19 hp:

7551.jpg

We're almost there!

7552.jpg

Oops.
But Rocket strikes back at the adder for 33 hp, and then spekkio's AMRAS finishes the poisonous beastie off!
All's well that ends we--

7553.jpg

:o

7554.jpg

:o :o :o

Err, I mean

:x

Bee's totally dead. Dead as a bee.

Death count: potato.
Reloading the back-up sanctuary save. :M

Back at the snake's! I mean, I have to take my revenge!!

7555.jpg

Here it comes again. :roll:

7556.jpg

:rage:
Several turns later, we're still having a pretty hard time...

7557.jpg

...and a few turns more, same thing...

7558.jpg

(FUUUUUUUU- at everyone being poisoned, and Rocket being stunned, to boot.)

...oooh lordy lord...

7559.jpg

We're almost, uhm, there, from the looks of it.

7560.jpg

:oops:
spekkio's AMRASMUR finally brings one of the snakes down, though.

7561.jpg

I'm having a déjà vu here... but Bee survives this time! spekkio's SHUMMUR and Kalos' SIRDHE come just in time.
Finally, after a really unforgiving battle, all the snakes lie slain!

:yeah:

7562.jpg

:salute: This battle totally wasn't for nothing!

7563.jpg

Shiny. :love:

7564.jpg

There's nothing else of interest in this room, though. Oh well. I guess that means we should get moving further east.

Objection! We should rest at the sanctuary first.

7565.jpg

Back at URSHAS, Kalos and spekkio advance to level 7. :salute:
Let's have a lookie.

7566.jpg

Looking at Kalos' stats, we see that his Strength and Vitality have increased by 1 point.
:incline:

7567.jpg

And spekkio's Intelligence and Piety have gone up by one point, too.

Bee, however, is poisoned and weak...

7568.jpg

...so spekkio removes poison with ISO, and then we rest. After that, it's time to be movin' on!

7569.jpg

Another door! Bee totally ruins our attempt at stealth. :/
It's just a corridor behind it, though. No snakes or anything. Thankfully.

7570.jpg

Ominous and... intriguing? :roll: Hmmm.

7571.jpg

To the northwest is one more door.

7572.jpg

It's empty though, so further east we go.

7573.jpg

Oi.

7574.jpg

Troglodites aka Cave Dwellers. They all go down in one to two hits though. :P

7575.jpg

A little exp. And 192 coins for loot.

7576.jpg

After going further east, the passage bends north, and we descend some kind of stairs. Then the passage bends west.

7577.jpg

The door to the left hides another small room. Inside it, there's a book on the ground.

7578.jpg

7579.jpg

spekkio picks it up, and we return to the main corridor.

7580.jpg

In the next (and no less small) room, we're ambushed by a cloaked figure!

7581.jpg

Let's proceed ... carefully.

7582.jpg

Turns out it's a Master Spy.

7583.jpg

He's much weaker than the Master Monk was, though. Lord Rocket slays him.

7584.jpg

Meh. Then again, this fight has been really easy.

7585.jpg

There's a money stash in this room, which we claim as our reward. :P

7586.jpg

Westward, ho!

7587.jpg

Here, rhombus tiles begin instead of the ordinary square ones. Ominous, yay!

7588.jpg

Two imps attack us.

7589.jpg

We kill 'em quick.

7590.jpg

7591.jpg

:decline:

7592.jpg

From this room, we take the western door.

7593.jpg

We choose to listen at the next door, and it sounds like the ground is shaking!

7594.jpg

A single gigantic birdie seems to be causing all this noise!

7595.jpg

We kill it no probs.

7596.jpg

Rocket gets the most exp, since he was the one to do the bird killing.

7597.jpg

Naturally, it's Bee who gets to pick up the gem. :P

7598.jpg

Gosh, a lot of rooms. Also: there are one-way doors in here. We've already encountered them before. In the above screenshot, a one-way door is one square to the north of where we're currently standing. You can go through it, but it disappears right behind your back. Twisted!

7599.jpg

Two giant spiders ambush us in one of the next rooms.

7600.jpg

Scary!
The battle is a bit tedious, but still we kill the spiders without losing much HP.

7601.jpg

7602.jpg

The exp is meh, but some 300 coins won't hurt.

7603.jpg

The dungeon gets more and more convoluted. Lots of doors, lots of rooms, lots of paths to take.

7604.jpg

It looks like every time you reenter the room with spiders you have to fight two more of them. We'd best be careful when exploring. This kind of thing can be draining.
So yeah, we slay the spiders again.

7605.jpg

We get some nice loot though, so maybe this battle is worth repeating after all, eh? :roll:

7606.jpg

I choose to head north. Because why not?
We're pretty far away from the sanctuary, so let's just hope we don't die here.

7607.jpg

The rhombus tiles seem to go on and on.

7608.jpg

It looks like we're going around some large area in the centre of the map.

7609.jpg

Whoops. A beast of ice.

7610.jpg

Acid Reptile? Uh-oh. That doesn't bode well. Acid can dissolve armor, so we'd better try slaying the beast with our magic alone, without letting it get too close to our melee fighters. Just in case.
We succeed: two RALKORs and an AMRASAKIM put it to eternal rest.

7611.jpg

Kalos and spekkio naturally get more exp. And on to the north we go.

7612.jpg

A secret door! Rocket opens it. Forcefully.

7613.jpg

It's just an empty one-square room though. :decline: of secret areas.

7614.jpg

Oh noes! It's those nasty snakes again!

7615.jpg

They bite us and they poison us :)godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:), but we persevere.

7616.jpg

Phew. This was close. And I'd hate to reload the backup sanctuary save. So all's good.
We're low on, well, everything, so we head back to URSHAS to have a rest.

7617.jpg

Lord Rocket is level 7 now. :salute:
We rest, then teleport to Sagaris to identify the newly-found gems, as well as the book...

7618.jpg

...and the piece of chalk:

7619.jpg

:P
Then we visit the shop to sell the gems. We try buying a Silver sword for Rocket...

7620.jpg

...but naturally he can't use it yet. When oh when will his time come, I wonder?
We buy a pair of steel boots and a studded gauntlet for Bee. As she equips them, her AC goes up from 16 to 19:

7621.jpg

Good.
At the Circle of Magicians, spekkio-kun is awarded a new ring:

7622.jpg

And Kalos also gets a new one at the temple of Ufthu:

7623.jpg

A gold ring, yay!

7624.jpg

It looks like I've really been relying on offensive prayers a lot. :roll:
And so we're back at URSHAS. Again. We back up our game and then return to the area with the rhombus tiles and continue moving to the north.

7625.jpg

First, however, we have to slay the acid reptile again. Which is what we do.

7626.jpg

7627.jpg

A parchment? :? I wonder if it's useful.
But anyway. We finally enter a new area.

7628.jpg

North-south, eh? Let's head north, then.

7629.jpg

Hmmm.

7630.jpg

As we approach the northern wall, something weird happens.

7631.jpg

A dream-like image? :?

7632.jpg

Kauri trees? A group? A tower? :?

7633.jpg

A figure in gray? :?

I sure am troubled by the vision... WTF does it even mean!?

7634.jpg

There doesn't seem to be anything of further interest here, though -- except for an inscription at the southern wall:

7635.jpg

Uhm, NGOSMUR?

7636.jpg

I STAND UPON THE SHOULDERS OF THE HOLDER OF MYSTERIES -- YOU COWER BELOW
:twisted:

Well, that sure is ominous and nasty and stuffies. But what, again, does that even mean!?
Oh well. Let's go further west -- this time to the southwest, just as we got here by going northwest.

7637.jpg

Toothy orcs.

7638.jpg

Prepare to meet your doom, orcs!
Which is what the orcs do. :smug:

7639.jpg

7640.jpg

Nice. We're free to proceed now.

7641.jpg

So, uhm, where do we go next? Let's try this do-

7642.jpg

7643.jpg

i'm like a fire lizard i make it hot

7644.jpg

That fire lizard bastard does indeed make it hot! He breathes flames, which proves quite a devastating thing on his part. The problem is to succeed in getting close to him so as to bring him down in melee, as he seems to be resistant to magic.
Bee barely survives, but Rocket does the job.

7645.jpg

Plus 284 coins. That sure was close for poor Bee. Again. :P
A couple of SIRDHE prayers patch us up, and we proceed.

7646.jpg

Hmm, nice view. Things sure are symmetrical, aren't they? Which means there must be a secret room right here!

7647.jpg

Indeed! I wonder if there's just an empty room behind it...

7648.jpg

Bee picks up the necklace. Naturally.

7649.jpg

And further south we g---

7650.jpg

Fuck it! This fight is a recurring one, too. No way to avoid this room, alas.

7651.jpg

HELAS, quick! But...

7652.jpg

7653.jpg

Talk about being close...

We get some exp + 142 coins. Gosh, we're almost out of virtue and psychic points. And out of HP. But we just won't make it if we decide to head back to URSHAS. So we must press on. :salute:

7654.jpg

Healing salve comes in handy. As does SIRDHE.

7655.jpg

This must be a bug. :/

7656.jpg

7657.jpg

Run awaaaay!

7658.jpg

Phew.
There's an altar here, but...

7659.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUU- I knew we should've taken a cone of incense with us. Stupid Bee.
So, what else can we do here? Well, we can pray for manna from heaven. :smug:

TULAR Gaunt Dreams

Fshofth, at an Altar there is a glade,
Green leaves and colored monkeys,
Fruit drop from the vines, and lie
Rotting on the ground.

Yeah, this prayer grants us food, even though I really couldn't tell it from the description. But it is clearly a prayer meant to be invoked at an altar, so I decide to see what it brings.
And Kalos does indeed successfully invoke it, surprisingly enough:

7660.jpg

At first it seems like nothing has changed. But close investigation reveals that our food supply has increased!

7661.jpg

So yeah, we've figured out what one more prayer does. Congrats! There're many even more obscure prayers in the manual though, and I haven't yet mastered them or figured out what they're supposed to do. :/ Oh well.

Further down south, we flee from another group of purple bugs. And then -- surprise, surprise! -- another spider encounter kicks in.

7662.jpg

Hmmm, this dungeon's layout is indeed symmetrical. Even the scripted encounters are the same.
:hmmm:

So yeah, we slay the spiders. But of course.

7663.jpg

7664.jpg

A gem. :love:
Gosh, I'm tired. This dungeon is draining. ... But I get a bright idea. If it is indeed totally symmetrical, that means we can (hopefully) reach the next sanctuary by going through the western exit, the one located across the dungeon from the one through which we entered it. Right? Right!?

7665.jpg

Let's just hope it works. There is indeed a similarly-looking exit to the west here.

7666.jpg

We find some money along the way. :incline:
And...

7667.jpg

...a vision of Mara appears! She tells us there's more to the mysterious mirror we encountered than meets the eye. :?
Oh well. I still don't have a clue just what we are supposed to do with that mirror... "Essential", my ass.
:rpgcodex:

7668.jpg

For now, however, the only vital thing is to get to the next sanctuary.
In a familiar manner, the passage bends north and then east.

7669.jpg

Some orcs attack us, but we slay them.

7670.jpg

Nice.

7671.jpg

So, uhm, whaddya think is behind that door to the east? :roll:

7672.jpg

Freakin' snakes!
I was foolish enough to forget that, since this dungeon is symmetrical, there must be snakes in this room, too! And snakes are tough.

7673.jpg

Totally tough. So we run away. Or rather, we try running away...

7674.jpg

7675.jpg

We do, however, escape. Phew. I would've probably rage-quit had we died here. Just imagine going all this way again!!
We patch ourselves up with ISO (just one, since spekkio is almost out of psychic points) and SIRDHE. And finally...

7676.jpg

A sanctuary!

7677.jpg

We acti-fuckin'-vate it!

7678.jpg

And notice that Bee only needs 102 exp to make level 8!
The dungeon of the dragon, however, is still totally unexplored. And believe me, you haven't even seen the main -- and the most devious -- part of it. ;) Oh, and I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to do to that mysterious mirror. Or what the dream-like image means. :?
So, uhm, stay tuned, I guess?

Next time: you don't even know what you don't know!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crooked Bee said:
I dunno at what intervals or due to what actions they appear, though, so we'll just be returning here from time to time.
It triggered by activation of another Sanctuary.

Crooked Bee said:
Oh, and I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to do to that mysterious mirror.
Solution is pretty easy if you know what to do. But you don't. You will gain the clue eventually. Maybe several sanctuaries later. :M

I'm eagerly awaiting next update.

lightbane

Arcane
It seems that these snakes did... *sunglasses* Bite off more than they could chew :yeah: Keep with the updates, Bee-kun chan :love:

Smash the mirror; nothing bad could come of that....

And in regards to hints of dragons, are there any "big" critters? Like ones larger than a square unit on the battlefield?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Fowyr said:
Crooked Bee said:
Oh, and I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to do to that mysterious mirror.
Solution is pretty easy if you know what to do. But you don't. You will gain the clue eventually. Maybe several sanctuaries later. :M

Oh, thanks, okay then. Does the mirror have anything to do with
the crossword puzzle? (Just yes or no, no spoilers plz!)

Kz3r0 said:
Great update, please continue little Bee.
:salute:
lightbane said:
Keep with the updates, Bee-kun chan :love:
golgepapaz said:
eagerly anticipating the next update...

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Smash the mirror; nothing bad could come of that....

Not an option, alas, as far as I'm aware of. The problem is, you aren't given any clearly defined options, so the only way is probably to "solve" the dream-like image somehow or maybe bring something to the mirror or perhaps do something in front of it. Beats me.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
And in regards to hints of dragons, are there any "big" critters? Like ones larger than a square unit on the battlefield?

Hmm. Not that I'm aware of, no. At least I haven't encountered any yet. We'll see what the future holds though. :P

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crooked Bee said:
Oh, thanks, okay then. Does the mirror have anything to do with
the puzzle?
Oh, indeed. You have solution to your mirror problem in the manual. Read description of the mirror carefully. Also manual have crystal clear path to the clue.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Blackadder said:
I had a very similar moment of relief when I found that sanctuary. They don't make them like they used to.

Yeah, and it's actually paced quite nicely. A bit longer, and I'd collapse with exhaustion.

Fowyr said:
You have solution to your mirror problem in the manual. Read description of the mirror carefully. Also manual have crystal clear path to the clue.

Hmmmm... Yeah, I've been looking through the manual, looking for a clue. I guess I really should pay more attention to the mirror description. Thanks.

Krraloth said:
Crooked Bee said:
A sentient blade? Rolleyes Well, 'kay, it'll definitely come in handy!

...but will it feature party banter?

It ain't that kind of game, you know. :P

EDIT. Also: hell yeah, Lord Rocket can equip Scimitar now! Finally.

Crooked Bee

Patron
21: Dungeons and Dragons, Part 2

In which I need YOU.

Previously on this LP, we barely made it to the UREAL sanctuary. But the dungeon of the dragon still remains unexplored, and the mystery of the mirror, unsolved. That's why we won't be proceeding further east for now, but rather turn back. Plus, I hate leaving unfinished business behind.

First, however, we teleport to Sagaris to identify the items we recently found. We identify the Gold necklace for 10 coins, the Small gem for 20...

7680.jpg

...the Short iron sword for 4, the Book for 8...

7681.jpg

...and the Parchment for 2 coins:

7682.jpg

:D
Then we pay a visit to the Circle of Magicians, where spekkio receives a new ring:

7683.jpg

A gold ring, yay!

7684.jpg

Also, now that we've activated a new sanctuary, we get to read a new passage from the archives:

7685.jpg

It too reminds us we totally need to solve the mirror puzzle. "Within the diamond" means "in the dungeon of the dragon", since the latter has, as you can guess from the previous update's screenshots, the shape of a diamond/rhombus. Oh well.
Teleporting to the temple area, we obtain a new ring for Kalos from the god Drutho:

7686.jpg

Nice.

7687.jpg

Fshofth is, as you can see, our least pleased god. That, however, is going to change once we start invoking TULAR (which grants food when invoked at an altar) more frequently, which we indeed are going to be doing since that will help us not waste money on buying food.

Back at UREAL, we rest and then venture ... back. To the west.

7688.jpg

As you may remember, Bee only has 102 exp to gain before leveling up. And the tough snake bastards are still not slain -- we ran away from them last time. Dealing with them now should help Bee reach the next level, so yeah.

7689.jpg

Scary.

7690.jpg

It all goes as expected: we get poisoned, bitten, etc. RALKOR, as always, helps a lot.

7691.jpg

7692.jpg

:o :o

7693.jpg

7694.jpg

:oops:

7695.jpg

7696.jpg

One snake is slain!

Still, we are very, very close to being dead. Finally Lord Rocket kills the second snakie, and then spekkio wins the fight with AMRAS.

7697.jpg

7698.jpg

We hurry back to the sanctuary.

7699.jpg

Bee reaches level 7, and spekkio, level 8. :salute:
We heal up and rest. And then go check the Circle of Magicians once again.

7700.jpg

Yay! Another ring for spekkio-kun.

7701.jpg

Also, we see spekkio has gained +1 in Vitality on the level-up.

7702.jpg

Bee, on her part, has gained +1 in Intelligence, +1 in Dexterity, and +1 in Vitality.
Major :incline: of Bee.

At an altar in the temple area Kalos successfully invokes TULAR...

7703.jpg

...and our food supply is replenished:

7704.jpg

Nice.
At Sagaris' place, we identify the Blue crystal for 60 coins:

7705.jpg

Kewl, but I think we'll sell it.
So off to the shop we go. There, we sell the Gold necklace for 136 coins, the Flawed diamond for 93 coins, and the Fulminating crystal for 275 coins:

7706.jpg

We also sell the Short iron sword for 36 coins, and the piece of Parchment for 2 coins. The Book, however, can't even be sold:

7707.jpg

:roll:
We've got a lot of coins now, so it's time to switch Kalos' silver cross for a golden one. First we sell the silver cross for 629 coins -- and then buy the Cross of gold:

7708.jpg

:incline: of Kalos' Turn Undead ability.
We also buy three Cones of incense so Kalos can replenish his virtue points at an altar when need be.

7709.jpg

Looking at our party's exp levels, we notice that Bee is totally lagging behind. :(
Oh well. Let's now explore the dungeon of the dragon further.

Having slain two orcs along the way...

7710.jpg

7711.jpg

...we get back to the dragon dungeon -- or should I call it the diamond/rhombus dungeon now? -- and, in order to proceed, we have to slay the respawning spiders again.

7712.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any way around that fight.
So yeah, we slay the nasty thingies.

7713.jpg

7714.jpg

Now let's explore the unexplored areas of the dungeon.

7715.jpg

The door we're facing now, as you can tell from the above screenshot, should lead us right into the central area of the dungeon. Oh well. We take a deep breath and...

7716.jpg

Hmm, a corridor leads us to a hole in the ceiling.

7717.jpg

Another path is leading east. But let's brave the upper floor first.

7718.jpg

:o Something is moving up above. And my, climbing looks dangerous. It's not like we've got any other options though. There is no levitate spell or prayer in this game as far as I can tell, or at least I haven't been able to discover one.

7719.jpg

Rocket is awkward as hell.

7720.jpg

Kalos, I am disappoint. :/

7721.jpg

Finally!
We find ourselves in a dark corridor, with the pit right in the middle. Naturally, it doesn't take long for us to be attacked.

7722.jpg

Unearthly!

7723.jpg

Oh-kay, good thing I've bought a gold cross for Kalos. :P

7724.jpg

Oh no, not the plague again! Good thing that, after the last time, we're carrying a Plague antidote with us.

7725.jpg

My oh my.
Kalos turns undead, and one of the spectres loses ca. 1/5 of its hp. Not bad I guess, but it could've been better. For 4000 coins, I mean. :roll:

7726.jpg

One of the spectres flees for some reason, probably at the sight of Kalos' cross, making our life much easier.

7727.jpg

Oh no, not the food, not the food!
Finally Bee recovers from being stunned, and after several turns, the apparition is put to an eternal (?) rest:

7728.jpg

The exp we get is quite meh. Plus 64 coins, which isn't much either.

7729.jpg

We use the Plague antidote to heal Rocket. I wonder how dumb one should be to choose the "Cast it on the ground" option. :roll:
This end of the corridor proudly presents...

7730.jpg

...a totally illegible inscription!
We apply UMESH and NGOSMUR to it.

7731.jpg

Meh. At this point I didn't yet know one thing I know now: UMESH can be applied several times, making the inscription slightly more legible with each application. But, as I said, I'll only get to find that out just a bit later. :P So yeah, making sense of this inscription will have to wait.

Let's see what the other end of the corridor hides. To reach it, we must jump over the pit.

7732.jpg

Which is what we do.

7733.jpg

Two more ghastly thingies, ouch.

7734.jpg

In a familiar manner, one of them flees after a few turns, and we finish the second one off no probs.

7735.jpg

Plus 86 coins.
Reaching the other end of the corridor, we come across...

7736.jpg

...another inscription!
Again, we don't quite manage to make sense of it right now.

7737.jpg

We can make out some words, but not the whole message. Due to my own stupidity only. I should've tried stacking UMESHes right away.
Nothing more to see here, so we climb back down...

7738.jpg

...and immediately get attacked by three nasty skeletons. They all go down in one hit though. The exp we get is negligible.

7739.jpg

We also get a mace for loot.
Back at the altar, Kalos burns some incense to replenish some of his virtue points:

7740.jpg

And then we head back to the central area of the dragon dungeon.

7741.jpg

The path to the east hides another pit, this time one leading downwards:

7742.jpg

At least it says "the climb should not be too difficult". :roll: We try climbing down.

7743.jpg

spekkio slips and falls, but the others are fine.
So, uhm, where are we?

7744.jpg

Let's explore this area a bit.

7745.jpg

This is one funny area. Every wall is either some kind of message...

7746.jpg

:?
...or a secret door -- which is outright revealed as a secret door. :roll: I mean, what kind of secret door is that?

Intrigued, we continue exploring. Unfortunately, the random encounter rate is really high in here.
First a group of orcs disturbs our harmless exploration.

7747.jpg

We get quite a nice amount of exp for killing them though:

7748.jpg

More and more messages and secret doors are revealed on the automap.

7749.jpg

A small rhombus means a secret door. Every dead end/wall that doesn't have a secret door gives us another weird message.

7750.jpg

7751.jpg

:? :?

7752.jpg

:? :? :?
Some undead thingies ambush us.

7753.jpg

Kalos' golden cross proves its worth.

7754.jpg

After Kalos has turned undead, four of the foes lose some of their HP.
One of the undead corpses turns out to be a quite tough Nether Witch, which is a new type of enemy.

7755.jpg

The evil witch stuns Rocket and brings him on the verge of death.

7756.jpg

The witch also silences both Kalos and spekkio. :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

7757.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUU-

7758.jpg

I sure don't want to die in here, you know!!

7759.jpg

Now Bee is plagued, to boot!

7760.jpg

Gosh, if we survive this, we're some totally lucky dungeon-crawling bastards!
But, thankfully, Kalos manages to successfully invoke RALKOR two times in a row, and the Nether Witch goes down. Yay.

7761.jpg

Well, at least we get some nice exp for this battle. Kalos gets the most out of it, I guess because he was the one to slay the witch.

7762.jpg

For loot, however, we get just a single coif. Meh.
Now we have to use the Plague antidote again (good thing it can be used several times).

So yeah, where were we?

7763.jpg

Hmmm, this puzzle area gets more and more intriguing.

7764.jpg

Agreed. :roll:

7765.jpg

7766.jpg

:? :?

7767.jpg

Hmmmm...

7768.jpg

Within OR inside?

7769.jpg

7770.jpg

WTF.

7771.jpg

7772.jpg

Hmmm. It looks like we've fully explored this mysterious area. Let's have a look at the automap:

7773.jpg

I wonder, dear readers, if that reminds you of something... I'm pretty sure it does. If not, think again...

Yup, it's a crossword puzzle! :o
My oh my, what do I do. I guess I need your help to solve this one. So let me sum it up.

The puzzle works in a quite simple way. Every corridor = a word, plus a corresponding secret door. The door is opened by speaking the correct answer. Which means one square = one letter. All in all there are 12 words to guess. Here are all of them:

1. weak loud backward liar // 5 letters (FRAIL)
2. within or inside itself // 6 letters
3. sounds like bread is being made, want some? // 4 letters
4. mythical monsters become tiresome // 6 letters (DRAGON)
5. the infinite ethereal plane contains many small bones // 5 letters
6. sing out, but keep your mouth closed // 3 letters
7. the avenger is moved to carve two points where the dead lie // 7 letters
8. a keen joint // 4 letters
9. the tree before and after the fire // 3 letters
10. conditions important when walking less than twelve inches // 9 letters
11. gives up a short recess to get a word in // 9 letters
12. covered with cold wet spikes // 7 letters

I've taken the pains of counting the number of letters for each answer. I've even guessed two answers myself: the answer to 4 ("mythical monsters become tiresome") is, quite predictably, DRAGON, and the answer to 1 ("weak loud backward liar") is FRAIL.
Why DRAGON and FRAIL?
Well, dragons are "mythical monsters", and with the overabundance of dragons in video games nowadays, that was the first answer I could think of. Also -- but this became evident to me only after I guessed the right answer -- "become tiresome" is kinda connected to "DRAG ON". :roll:
The same principle works for riddle #1. "backward liar" is easy, it's RAIL. Guessing the remaining letter is trickier. Good thing I took music classes. "loud" is F, F + RAIL = FRAIL. Plus, "weak" is also FRAIL. So yeah.

The other riddles give me a headache however. If you don't want another update to take a month or so, I suggest you, dear reader, help me solve this crossword puzzle. I'm totally at a loss myself.
Or, and here's a graphical presentation of the puzzle:

7679.jpg

So yeah, I need YOU, reader, for this LP to carry on. BUT -- of course -- I need the help of those of you who haven't beaten the game. And PLEASE don't consult any walkthroughs or guides or whatever. I need assistance, not spoilers. :/
So ... any ideas? Suggestions? Hints?

Next time: will there be a next time, I wonder?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Pretty sure that 6 is 'Hum' unless this riddle is supposed to be a complete brain twister. The others I'm not really sure.
2 could be 'Letter' since you find a letter within it's own word but I suspect it's more of a a jar/ ajar kind of thing. 3 could be 'Oven'. 7 sounds like a reference to some kind of game but I wouldn't know which one. 'Ash' or 'Fry' would fit to 9 although it doesn't make any sense in context. 10 might be something about measurement units, dunno.

Kz3r0

Arcane
11. gives up a short recess to get a word in // re nouncing?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
On second thought on 7, the dead lie in a graveyard. Yard already fits and the avenger needs to cut two letters from grave to get the answer, probably.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
7685.jpg

Oh! Another clue.

Write results of the solved puzzle carefully.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Pussycat669 said:
On second thought on 7, the dead lie in a graveyard. Yard already fits and the avenger needs to cut two letters from grave to get the answer, probably.
engrave?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Yeah, sounds about right. Got caught up with yard when it was the other way around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom