Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Exile: Escape From the Pit! (Kill It With Fire)

Should I do a LP of the orginal Exile?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yeesh

Magister
2gum6hd.jpg

ElectricOtter

Sorry guys, update forthcoming. It's a pretty huge one. Haven't had much time to upload it yet, but I have some free time today, so expect it soon!

ElectricOtter

Crooked Bee said:
Just how soon?
This soon :smug:

Yes, this LP has returned from the dark depths of the Playground and back into life! Unfortunately, I do all my image hosting with Imageshack. Now that that decision has come back to bite me in the ass, I must find another host for all my images. I'll be using Imgur from now on (providing I don't run into huge problems or some shit). I will re-up all the other images whenever I find some free time.

CHAPTER 4: HISS, INDEED

sLgEl.jpg

Finally, we return to the underworld. If you recall, we were just leaving Slivar to head north.

plHZN.jpg

TVkCl.jpg

ZEiha.jpg

uuqbD.jpg

Alright. To Dunvo!

fiqOw.jpg

Gh4mV.jpg

Dunvo is a pretty huge-ass town and it's going to take a while to explore it all. However, as a LPer, it's my commitment to show off everything I can. Oh joy.

SuCp9.jpg

This is the town's main road. Let's go south into that building, shall we?

vHWSc.jpg

ryEVC.jpg

0UPDT.jpg

ETPXm.jpg

1iufR.jpg

Lol, you're fucked. Enjoy being gangraped by Nephilim.

fxERs.jpg

Let's go bug the holy man now.

gQDHv.jpg

evyja.jpg

S3Iel.jpg

vyV89.jpg

Vjulm.jpg

ufvrV.jpg

This is Carol the healer. In case one of our party members gets killed or maimed, this is where we'll take them. I have a feeling our spellcasters are going to be seeing a lot of this place.

RjIhP.jpg

yTMea.jpg

pJzW6.jpg

HK6VR.jpg

In this menu, you can see that we can get basic healing for our party members. Yay! It has 0 gold as the cost because SMA is uninjured. The more dead you are, the more cash you have to hand over to get patched up.

Q84dI.jpg

vor9M.jpg

Looks like we stumbled into a shop! I wonder if they have anything we can use...

iRb5z.jpg

S50yO.jpg

7IdaA.jpg

6wRLD.jpg

Grimmet's selection is pretty good, but we're broke so it's kind of irrelevant. We'll be coming back once we loot some cash off of dead Nephilim and bandits.

i0BAn.jpg

0re9M.jpg

Halberds vs. Greatswords: Which is better and why? Discuss!!

SAXCz.jpg

X4NPg.jpg

czc5D.jpg

gvryA.jpg

El9Jx.jpg

l389K.jpg

This helpful man can sell us potions, recipes, and identify our items. We have no need of his services now, but we definitely will later on.

3n91w.jpg

pU4ht.jpg

We may be getting some archery supplies from here later on. Maaaybe. (I didn't get a shot of the inside of the building, but you're not missing anything important)

slBv0.jpg

KmGmI.jpg

DcRiU.jpg

Enjoy selling completely useless shit for the majority of the game :smug:

KxXsI.jpg

xOhp1.jpg

Hmmmmm

zZrk2.jpg

IoeqB.jpg

nbYmb.jpg

TLgBY.jpg

jxsjr.jpg

29G3K.jpg

Once we get some more money, these "farming supplies" will be very important to buy. Locked doors are commonplace in the land of Exile.

GlCA0.jpg

vSHhU.jpg

There's usually nothing interesting in these places, but we're going to poke around anyway.

cmoIM.jpg

vkBnF.jpg

Hey let's go bug this guy with armor and weapons much better than ours

QLbE1.jpg

Yeply.jpg

FWRZM.jpg

XIHtc.jpg

Sounds like a quest!

That's about all we can do in Fort Dunvo for the moment. However, there is one more thing I want to do before I leave...

ZjlyZ.jpg

Qgey1.jpg

kPVlX.jpg

nhKwp.jpg

Behold, the single best line of dialogue in any Spiderweb Software game. Vogel is truly a master of his craft :salute:

4Xfap.jpg

And with that, we leave Fort Dunvo. Next time on Let's Play Exile: Combat! Adventuring! Heroics! BATS!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm hissing in delight. :M
Also why you left dialogue with lizard unfinished? ;)

Stasgard

Liturgist
Holy shit, I'd forgotten about this game. T'was my first RPG, I must have only been 7 or 8 when I played it. All I remember was stumbling around blindly and dying a lot. Good shit. Newfag wants more! :bounce:

ElectricOtter

Exploring bat cave to get screenshots for new update, 5 rabid bats come out of nowhere, entire party gets raped/poisoned :x

Anyway I'll try to get all the re-uploading done today, so update will be later

Stasgard said:
Holy shit, I'd forgotten about this game. T'was my first RPG, I must have only been 7 or 8 when I played it. All I remember was stumbling around blindly and dying a lot. Good shit. Newfag wants more! :bounce:
Yeah, Exile was pretty goddamn difficult when I first played it. Really unforgiving combat until you start to gain a few levels.

ElectricOtter

Okay, all re-uploading is done now. Everyone should be able to see the older images.

ElectricOtter

CHAPTER 5: GODDAMN BATS

4Xfap.jpg

Finally, we have a chance to explore freely... and kill things! Let's continue. Also, you may have noticed the new icons on the bottom. Those are Rest, Map, Save Game, and Load Game, respectively

yQCFJ.jpg

All the stalagmites in this area make it a bitch to navigate. As you can see by the message log, I bump into things a lot.

KcN5H.jpg

Goblins! Monsters, just like your party, will show up on the world map. Usually the icon that's displayed is the most numerous enemy in the group.

zuCrr.jpg

Running into monsters on the world map initiates combat. As you can see in the message log, we have entered "COMBAT!" with goblins and a Nephil (singular of Nephilim, lol).

nwYTE.jpg

This is the combat field. It's a pretty small area, but big enough for larger battles to take place. As you can see, all of your party members become visible in a combat area instead of just the one in the lead. The icons on the bottom interface have also changed. The new ones are Defend (increases defense but skips the character's turn), Get Items, Wait (skip turn), End Combat, Use Missile, and Act (that toggles between all characters taking turns and only the selected character taking turns. I've never found much use for it).

R2Ju1.jpg

F4woj.jpg

SMA can take anything these goblins throw at her at this point, so I have her charge straight up and attack. You can also see that the Nephil is just the default, basic one. Warriors or Shamans could be very dangerous to our party. (By the way, that blood splatter/damage effect is a bitch to get a screenshot of)

ebwLZ.jpg

You can't see it here, but Andhaira is targeting a monster with his darts. He misses, as expected.

CnbVM.jpg

4IELl.jpg

A3jGX.jpg

Here's the spell menu for priest spells. We have a pretty great selection for this point in the game. All we want to do now, though, is cast Wound on one of those pesky goblins. The number in brackets next to the spell is the tile range. In case you're wondering, yes, that line effect is used for targeting everything. It sort of flickers in and out of existence, to add to the fun (it's actually not that bad, but it's a little odd considering the tile-based movement).

kSI98.jpg

rUKE4.jpg

HgD1m.jpg

This is the similar menu for mage spells. We use the basic damage spell, Flame. It's kinda wonky with the damage rolls though, and it only does 2 hp worth to the goblin.

TPBBR.jpg

vC1SF.jpg

Liberal has shit for mage spells, but we still have our last-ditch damage spell, Spark. It only uses one point of mana, so it's good for conservation/emergencies. Ironically, it does more damage than DJ101's Flame spell. It's enough to roast the goblin. You can see the remains behind the other goblin in the next picture.

upG6b.jpg

There's going to be a lot of missing for this first segment of the game. Blessing spells are your friend.

EGg7v.jpg

Andy manages to hit something with his dart, and... well... you can see the results.

qsuRi.jpg

B3QEs.jpg

qOQFN.jpg

The team mops up the remaining goblins quickly and collects the spoils.

k9VXS.jpg

rdz11.jpg

7FluS.jpg

A cave? Looks dangerous, let's check it out :thumbsup:

bqXW9.jpg

Can't see shit, cap'n.

bqXW9.jpg

YBnL2.jpg

Here we are in the shit-covered bat cave. Also it's dark. Fortunately, we can cast Light, making torches p. much obsolete for the rest of the game. Don't know what Jeff was thinking when he did that. Anyway, let's explore!

kZNvi.jpg

Bats, while being weak, are damn annoying to hit. There's also tons of them. There was a pretty long battle in the first room, but I didn't get any shots because it wasn't particularly interesting besides DJ101 nuking some with a Fireball.

pqB2s.jpg

6JK7O.jpg

Z8xPy.jpg

Blessing is very useful in both Exile and Avernum. We target SMA, making her a little bit better at killing things.

dl5lP.jpg

Cleveland has been attracting a lot of attention from the bats. Racofer is keeping him patched up.

pf2So.jpg

What we've explored so far.

IeQ2I.jpg

nSKSr.jpg

Sorry about these images being screwed up, my capturing program has troubles targeting a window sometimes. Also, Andy manages to actually kill something with his darts!

kLXfI.jpg

We've cleared the first part of the bat cave. However, we won't be continuing on in this cave today. Why? Fucking RABID BATS. Those poison-y motherfuckers will make short work of our party at this point, so we'll be returning at a later date. Let's book it before they find us.

coIC0.jpg

Whew, we escaped safely. The silver circle you can see on the ground is a event point. When you step on one, a text box will pop up with extra information. These can also change things in the game world.

H1DEW.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder if we should invesi-
iwU3j.jpg

It's a trap! Thugs aren't much of a danger, but that brigand can fuck us up pretty bad if we're not careful. By themselves, they're not that hard.

2XBWq.jpg

oo8N7.jpg

Brigands have ranged attacks, but they're no pushover in melee. AoE attacks can also effect allies, so you have to be careful about their use. This ain't no Dragon Age 2.

dCBer.jpg

POBtL.jpg

Fireball is a generic weak AoE spell, but it sure makes those thugs roasty-toasty.

SBpcQ.jpg

Light Heal All is the main reason why you want to start the game with a character that has 3 in Priest Spells. Holy Scourge is nice too.

ujtyZ.jpg

4OmRK.jpg

U7Th5.jpg

DJ101's Fireball takes out the thugs, and our fighters whack the brigand to death. To the victor, the spoils!

oIMkE.jpg

And with that, we end our first combat update. Next time, on Let's Play Exile: I FUCKING HATE MAGES

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yay! The character sprites ain't half-bad. Are there any fancy moves in combat, like prepare for casting/advance or attacks of opportunity or tumble/trip?

ElectricOtter

GarfunkeL said:
Yay! The character sprites ain't half-bad. Are there any fancy moves in combat, like prepare for casting/advance or attacks of opportunity or tumble/trip?
Defend is the only active move, but moving away from a enemy in combat will trigger a attack of opportunity.

Stasgard said:
:love:

I think I might have to buy this now. Or pray that I can find that old disc it was on.
Remember, Spiderweb Software always has large demos available for their games: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/productsOld.html Exile: EFtP's is particularly huge, I think it's about a third of the game.

Stasgard

Liturgist
ElecTriCotter said:
Remember, Spiderweb Software always has large demos available for their games...

Oh, wow awesome, I did not know that, as is now apparent. Thank you kindly for that. :salute:

ElectricOtter

The next update is pretty big, so I want to get this thread bumped to the next page.

ElectricOtter

Thanks for the assist, bros :bro:

CHAPTER 6: BANDIT HUNTING

oIMkE.jpg

Here we are after escaping the clutches of the bat cave. Let's go see what we can find in Exile!

hXd3x.jpg

ZGsT3.jpg

That's not a good sign.

DuH0g.jpg

This is the map of what we've currently explored in Exile. The purple outlined boxes are towns. We're right next to Dunvo, near the top of the map of this sector.

5pdDt.jpg

Now that we have some spending cash, let's go buy shit in Dunvo!

TEAKA.jpg

2KQmd.jpg

1L67k.jpg

sLBsj.jpg

Our first stop is Grimmet's smithy to buy a bronze rapier for SMA. It's better than our short sword, but not by much. We also sell our short sword for a little extra coin.

qpVX9.jpg

jpE5D.jpg

Let's go back to that sign, shall we?

AN7bn.jpg

NOjXP.jpg

yhD0h.jpg

The infamous bandit fort: newbie raping monstrosity of terror.

eL3WA.jpg

ei6Zj.jpg

LYHcQ.jpg

A thug! Something interesting about Exile compared to Avernum: in Exile, enemies can attack you when you're not in combat mode, but you can't retaliate. It can be annoying.

0RwOq.jpg

Bah. A locked door. We'll be returning once we get some lockpicks.

ggvvx.jpg

03y3P.jpg

We run into another thug and get some gold off his corpse.

WQs5n.jpg

Lots of locked doors in this place.

Aekbc.jpg

9obtO.jpg

OH FUCKIGN FUCK FUCK

(fun note: if your party cannot disperse across the map properly, they will end up all packed onto the same square)

nETWk.jpg

I didn't take any screenshots of the ensuing struggle, but there was a lot of pain on both sides. I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE :x (also I ran away like a pussy so we'll deal with them after we heal)

FnqK9.jpg

pVwHZ.jpg

running running running

qOxJN.jpg

Whew, okay we're safe. Let's take a magical healing nap.

NqWEG.jpg

Much better. DJ101 and Racofer still need to recover some MP, but we'll get some back on the way.

hNs7k.jpg

A3hQS.jpg

What's this?

d7FH9.jpg

8JnLV.jpg

W22o7.jpg

baRv5.jpg

QCevY.jpg

We got some cash from the combat, but I'm more interested in that circle of trees over there.

2nDBr.jpg

JG1x2.jpg

uXCzR.jpg

KZJGg.jpg

Oh. Well then. Let's see what happens if I should choose the other option...

QeB3t.jpg

They also steal all your food. Fortunately that never happened.

nmst2.jpg

Back to the bandit fort!

4LngC.jpg

tMpPK.jpg

Hmm... the door is already open. Hopefully this won't turn out like last time.

jg1OU.jpg

CHAAAARGE oh

PehsY.jpg

Eh. Nothing too serious. We can take these brigands out, easy. On a related note, that doorway makes a excellent bottleneck.

t97S2.jpg

Xlrrr.jpg

ZAcuz.jpg

Hopefully Racofer can help with the brigand's hit rate a bit.

EdTs5.jpg

Oh shit. All our fighting attracted some extra attention.

WehLH.jpg

And a giant rat joints the fray. Fortunately, SMA smites the brigand and levels up! I'll cover leveling in Exile in the next update. Cleveland manages to be able to divert attacks from DJ101 and Liberal and strikes that fucker dead.

nkWyK.jpg

That was a close one- oh goddammit

qs43B.jpg

Racofer blesses Cleve and it's enough to give him the strength to kill the brigand.

DAtaF.jpg

One brigand later and I have to cast Minor Heal on Andy. Eh, could've gone worse.

HuzrX.jpg

tGY6p.jpg

Let's clean this place out! (notice the chat logs - things didn't turn out well last time)

HHNOJ.jpg

AjwTk.jpg

Our first enemy priest. Something tells me he's gonna be a bitch.

FgkgD.jpg

Also, our entire party got slowed and cursed by Holy Scourge. Thank god for Light Heal All, by the way.

FgkgD.jpg

Odl3a.jpg

Well, that went better than expected. Andy got a little banged up, but he's okay.

W6UvB.jpg

Pffft. I ran into this guy outside and pressed the combat button. The formation ended up like this.

oUVaU.jpg

Well that didn't take long :smug:

b0kDO.jpg

0JA8c.jpg

Thugs blocking my way :decline:

rMD4d.jpg

Let's run back to Dunvo.

DxFIa.jpg

TJRTm.jpg

oJN5C.jpg

We get some healing from Carol and then go look at what the shops have to offer.

FBTZ7.jpg

rQfnj.jpg

All Walner has is weak poison? Oh well.

JwwST.jpg

JRAGs.jpg

Lockpicks are 40g, but we want them as soon as possible. Andhaira can make good use of them.

gOlGg.jpg

Huh, apparently Dunvo actually has a inn. I don't remember this, but hey, at least we don't have to run back to Silvar now.

ywMaj.jpg

uLodU.jpg

OA4ck.jpg

lDq6y.jpg

GmFrE.jpg

Once again, we leave Dunvo. Next time, we shall unlock doors and level up!

ElectricOtter

This LP is back after a brief vacation! Without further delay, let's jump back into EXILE!

CHAPTER 7: BEING POOR SUCKS

GmFrE.jpg

If you recall, we recently acquired some shiny new lockpicks for Andhaira. Let's run over to the bandit fort to test them out!

GmFrE.jpg

xCzSC.jpg

5q3HC.jpg

9pAOr.jpg

Because of the alignment of the cursor, I tend to fuck up a lot when trying to click on a door to unlock it. I'LL UNLOCK A FUCKING STONE WALL IF I WANT TO DAMMIT :x

EgR84.jpg

afLOn.jpg

Eh, whatever. Andy sucks at opening doors and I don't want to break any more valuable lockpicks so we'll return later.

AfVT8.jpg

Racofer, DJ101, and Liberal all fall into a pile to the left there. Fortunately, SMA was able to take out the thug swiftly.

iGkli.jpg

Some areas will generate more monsters over time. In this case, those monsters are brigands and thugs. More gold and XP for us!

H0V4P.jpg

Pf038.jpg

Damn brigand only dropped 12 gold. Every bit helps, I guess.

2Rp45.jpg

A719p.jpg

F0JEX.jpg

Empty crates are extremely common in the underworld. Maybe they're just for looks?

jdtK0.jpg

fMd6x.jpg

dhepX.jpg

Jackpot! I hope there's some good loot in here-

cWzWv.jpg

OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT

DzW54.jpg

Andhaira fails us miserably, but it's only a simple poison trap. Casting spells in Exile doesn't pass time if you're not in combat mode, so we can have Racofer spam Cure Poison with no risk of death.

gedoH.jpg

43 gold, not bad. All the curing put a sizable dent in Racofer's spell points, however. Hopefully no Nephilim show up and decide it's raep time.

KwcH2.jpg

GRGLR.jpg

AStry.jpg

Sweet! Sometimes searching random crap pays off. Unfortunately, we don't have enough item lore to identify this wand we got. We'll have to go back to Dunvo and hand over 30 gold to get it identified.

zjZjg.jpg

n3jGh.jpg

YZRi5.jpg

3ovSk.jpg

What's that building over there?

HBm0q.jpg

2000b.jpg

AW HELL YES

mV19X.jpg

f53GS.jpg

4O58r.jpg

This lock is impossible to pick, so it looks like we'll have to throw our well-muscled tranny into it a few times.

A2Tif.jpg

Or not.

lYElA.jpg

0dS0l.jpg

We wandered around a little more and killed some fodder, but there isn't anything to do in the bandit fort until we unlock those doors. Away!

UIlLg.jpg

Aw come on I thought I was done with you guys

Hl49O.jpg

C1bNA.jpg

Those brigands really know how to use missile weapons.

OrO5P.jpg

UgTVL.jpg

vt4WD.jpg

wFDRr.jpg

DJ fireballed those thugs, but it wasn't enough to kill them.

X7Sry.jpg

v369a.jpg

RJ1eL.jpg

Ow. That battle didn't go as well as I hoped. Only 13 gold?

9pZQG.jpg

9pZQG.jpg

Grb2h.jpg

We need to identify, so we return to Dunvo to visit Walner. As long as we're here, I buy a little food too.

flk47.jpg

U7yCX.jpg

iexwY.jpg

LWfwQ.jpg

Great. This will be useful if DJ101 runs low on mana. I'll give it to him for emergencies.

awZrk.jpg

Now that our party has had some level ups, it's time to go to the trainer in Silvar and use those skill points.

iwfY3.jpg

ncMSK.jpg

GKnOe.jpg

Intercepted by goblins. Actually, this fight was pretty fortunate, as Liberal got enough XP to advance to level 2.

zpquS.jpg

Zl1wb.jpg

zOPQu.jpg

This is the... uh, training hall. Hm. Where exactly do we train?
mystery.gif

ebTtG.jpg

FSoXF.jpg

UQk0v.jpg

7s3lc.jpg

3t265.jpg

I suppose it's time to explain the training system. You see, when you gain a level in Exile, you gain a certain amount of skill points. However, you cannot use this skill points right away. Instead you must go to a trainer, located in one of the main cities in Exile. There you can train your skills, but you must pay money to train as well as use some skill points. It's fairly simple, but it works well. And here's another difference between Exile and Avernum: in Exile, training is a LOT more expensive. We are limited to 145 gold right now, but we can still do a few things.

R4KPY.jpg

I gave SMA 1 more point in Edged Weapons. I would like to do more, but I want to save some cash for other party members.

XeE6j.jpg

gPlL4.jpg

Cleve gets a 6 point health boost. He was getting beat up pretty badly in our tougher fights, so that will have to do for now. I would like to increase his Item Lore, but 4 skill points and 200 gold? Fuck that.

1bvkB.jpg

mO62Z.jpg

There's only one thing I care about for Andy right now: Lockpicking.

DJ101 and Liberal also have skill points available, but there's nothing worth doing to them right now.

1nJVf.jpg

We may only be marginally stronger, but it's something. Next time on Let's Play Exile: Cathead genocide! Ghosts are a bitch! Mo' money!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice.

ETC said:
This lock is impossible to pick, so it looks like we'll have to throw our well-muscled tranny into it a few times.

:o

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom