Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Sail The River of Time - 21 (Rat Diplomacy)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Another vote for Thieves Guild.

I like staves in RoT. That Trip skill is pretty useful since it cannot be parried.

a budda

Arbiter
mages are good with staff points only in parry - best fucking tank in the game with fastness of body (didn't even bother with ice-cold)

korenzel

Educated
Go for the rat, it's fast and a perfect example of the difference of quest design between Drakensang I and II, since they both contain essentially the same quest but handle it in two separate ways.

The nymph puzzle wasn't too hard, and the pillars were what gave me the hardest time. For some reason matching symbols did not work, at least at first. The plant bowls can be figured out easily with trial & error, quick saves and loads and a bit of logic (I used the plants' colors to match them to elements, so blue blueberries for water, red firemoss for fire, etc...).

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
korenzel said:
The temple is boring but easy once you get access to Ice Cold Warrior. I did it before taking on the strongest version of Zant to get more experience and better damage dealing abilities, but even with lots of potions I couldn't overcome its demonic health regeneration. Will you try to kill it without weakening it ?

It's not as hard when you exort enough ducats for magical two handed sword, much better than horasian epee you can craft and keen sword you got for free. Just completed as warior, it's second game recomeneded by Codex after KOTOR2 I :love: to play. :incline:

Phelot

Arcane
Good LP, BrotherNone. I'm currently playing the game as well.

Does anyone think there's a point to playing rogue or any other shady character? I guess I can drop Cano, but it seems like it takes so long to get Ardo.... I wish they had more choices for companions in this game. Probably my only complaint as it makes certain classes either redundant or pointless.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
phelot said:
Good LP, BrotherNone. I'm currently playing the game as well.

Does anyone think there's a point to playing rogue or any other shady character? I guess I can drop Cano, but it seems like it takes so long to get Ardo.... I wish they had more choices for companions in this game. Probably my only complaint as it makes certain classes either redundant or pointless.

When you play as rouge you can take 2 fighters and mage/ranger hippie chick instead of Cano. Which is big :Incline: considering how's he's useless on batlefield and how rouge skills are usefal outside of it. Bigger team woud be :retarded: in secret mission you got and all companions have their place in both gameplay and plot unlike fagot elves from DA good only for buttf...ing. :lol: I like how that game is tight and well constructed. :salute:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
By editing a certain file with a SQL editor you can increase party size to 6 (PC + 4 followers + summon). Maybe worth it if you don't want to miss out on anything.

Phelot

Arcane
Well, I'm assuming that playing an Amazon must have some interesting dialogue in the temple...

Commissar Draco

Patron
phelot said:
Well, I'm assuming that playing an Amazon must have some interesting dialogue in the temple...

Some text is different but not much, but you do get tons of useless to other characters sabers with good stats later on, only played as 2hander wielding knight using staff from sequel so I'm not sure 100%, Quests are different in minor ways acording to class amd sex you choose so pick archetype you like most and play the game as you like. All are balanced and playable unlike some other titles.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
You get a complete set of Amazon armour in the ruins. Tough luck if you're not a female fighter archetype.

I think playing as a pirate or geode must be interesting as well.

Commissar Draco

Patron
abnaxus said:
You get a complete set of Amazon armour in the ruins. Tough luck if you're not a female fighter archetype.

I think playing as a pirate or geode must be interesting as well.

It's the same tree hagger origin as elfes get, also you got the amazon armour no matter what class you play.

Phelot

Arcane
I played as a Thorwalian pirate and didn't get anything particularly special, just a few dialogue flavors. The river pirates didn't seem to notice my class though.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Blind Eye said:
What the hell BN? I'm jonesen for an update my brutha. You been busy, or did you give up?

A busy week leading up to a busier easter weekend, but right you are. Update tomorrow.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ah so we don't need to perform emergency resuscitation on this LP? Good to hear!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
We've got two votes for the Thieves Guild, one for the Hunting Grounds, and three for rat diplomacy. Before we move on to the popular requests, I'll do a sidequest that is easy to miss. In fact I did miss it first time around, but bumped into it the second playthrough. It exemplifies DSA's sense of humor.

uUvD1.jpg

An ox driver appears near the warehouse, to the west of the harbor.

hayo.jpg
... dumb ox!

:x

sayyid1.jpg
There must be something wrong with my hearing. What did you say?!

hayo.jpg
Oh, excuse me, I didn't notice you there at all! Naturally I wasn't referring to you!

sayyid1.jpg
Well, who were you talking to?

hayo.jpg
Bogumil, my most important associate! I should actually have passed through the toll station long since, but the dumb ox has simply run off! He's probably stuck at the 'Mellow Ox' tavern and I didn't notice it. I should have known that would happen, after all, it isn't the first time.

ito1g.jpg

Hah, we all know that story right? Got a friend you forgot at the bar. Let's help the poor sod out and pick up his drunk buddy.

sayyid1.jpg
Why not? I always enjoy visiting a new tavern.

We head to the Mellow Ox. There's more people there now than usually (as in when the quest isn't active), so let's see if one of them is Bogumil. The most likely candidate is a travel-stained man...

traveller.jpg
Pardon?

sayyid1.jpg
I'm looking for a certain Bogumil ...

traveller.jpg
Bogumil? Do you mean my great-uncle in Ferdok, by chance?

sayyid1.jpg
No, I don't think so. But thank you for your help.

No luck, perhaps one of the locals knows more...

villager1.jpg
The gods be with you!

sayyid1.jpg
And the same to you! Tell me, have you seen a certain Bogumil hereabouts?

villager1.jpg
Bogumil? Never heard of him, never seen him.

sayyid1.jpg
Well, thank you anyway.

w7cTO.jpg

Maybe those guys in the back? Let's try the other villager first...

villager2.jpg
Yes?

sayyid1.jpg
I don't suppose you know who Bogumil is?!

villager2.jpg
I once knew a Bergamul Pagasul. He still owes me money.

sayyid1.jpg
Forget it ...

xNU8f.jpg

sayyid1.jpg
What's so funny about that?

roshead.jpg
Oh, nothing! I just think your idea of Bogumil is leading you astray...

sayyid1.jpg
Then perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten me?

roshead.jpg
Of course... Look around the corner. Bogumil is standing in front of the tavern signboard.

sayyid1.jpg
What's he doing there?

roshead.jpg
Better if you ask him yourself...

rK2kZ.jpg

Ominous laugh?

tJksX.jpg

No one here but some chickens and another aurochs...

...wait, you don't mean to tell me that...

bogumil.jpg
Moooo ... [You can make out the name 'Bogumil' engraved on the ox's yoke]

FFFFFFffffffffffff...

sayyid1.jpg
I am no ox herder! How dare that infidel send me out for this. But alack, a promise made is a promise to be kept, Rastullah teaches...

Bogumil is in no mood to follow us though. Back to the innkeep.

sayyid1.jpg
So Bogumil's an ox. Very funny! Unfortunately he hasn't moved even an inch from that spot.

roshead.jpg
Yes, he belongs to old Hajo. It's not the first time that he's stood there as if rooted to the spot. I think Bogumil is magically attracted to the tavern's signboard.

A magic ox-attracting signboard? Nah...

sayyid1.jpg
Maybe it's the helmet that's nailed to the sign. The horns do bear a strong resemblance to those of an ox.

roshead.jpg
It took me a lot of time to find a suitable helmet.

sayyid1.jpg
Would you lend it to me? Maybe I can use it to lure the ox away.

roshead.jpg
Sorry, no hand-outs here... No free rounds of ale, no tabs and no loans. You'll have to put an adequate sum of money on the table.

Pay? Hell no. Skills, come to the rescue!

pMefe.jpg

roshead.jpg
[Success] You won't believe it, but my wife always says that too! All right, take the helmet! Then perhaps my wife will stop pestering me about it.

QlZC0.jpg

Practically useless? It has better stats than Forgrimm's helmet. Anyway, Sayyid put it on, and back to the aurochs we go...

Hsc3Z.jpg

Hmmm. More advice from the innkeep is needed.

sayyid1.jpg
Bogumil still hasn't moved from that spot. I wonder why?

roshead.jpg
You and that ox... just sit down and have a drink.

:D Imagine being a barkeep and being pestered about a cow all day.

sayyid1.jpg
But I promised old Hajo I'd take him into town.

m9EJ7.jpg

At least the dude's having fun...

roshead.jpg
Put the helmet on the Dwarf's head... It'll suit him better.

forgrimm.jpg
Are you trying to make fun of me, pal?

roshead.jpg
Calm down, it was a serious suggestion, not an insult.

sayyid1.jpg
Well, I'll consider it.

Hell, it's worth a try...

cano1.jpg
May I present: The very first Dwarf ox in Aventuria!

ESR9M.jpg

Heh.

bogumil.jpg
[Bogumil looks in Forgrimm's direction with interest, but doesn't move from the spot]

Dammit.

sayyid1.jpg
Something must be missing ...

forgrimm.jpg
Bah! I'm already almost taking that personally. We'll get this beast to move at some point, won't we?

sayyid1.jpg
And just how will you do that?

forgrimm.jpg
My Uncle Gnawgrimm, he was a mountain goat herder. He had the manners of a billy goat and smelled like a whole stable full of them. When he had consumed at least five Pale Ales and approached the beasts stripped to the waist, they all followed him.

Ummm...

sayyid1.jpg
How is that supposed to help us?

forgrimm.jpg
Well ... I have an idea. I'll turn into the lead steer, I already have this helmet, so I'll do it for the fun and a couple of Pale Ales. Besides, nobody here knows me.

Best. Plan. Ever.

sayyid1.jpg
Shall we risk it? Right then, let's do it!

cano1.jpg
Well, I'll help with the Pale Ale!

forgrimm.jpg
That's a deal, Scallywag.

To the beer!!!

sayyid1.jpg
I need five Ferdok Pale Ales for my Dwarven friend here!

roshead.jpg
Coming up! That will be 10 farthings.

sayyid1.jpg
Sure, this game is worth 10 farthings to me!

roshead.jpg
And here comes the first ale. Tasty and fresh, straight from the barrel.

x34nl.jpg

One more? I doubt it, Forgrimm is a dwarf after all...

roshead.jpg
Here, the next ale!

forgrimm.jpg
Gulp! Of course I-I'll get that...o..ox to move! More ale!

roshead.jpg
Here, the next ale!

forgrimm.jpg
Glug! Ahhhh. Wait... let me see if I can already speak ox language... Oxanian ... heh heh! Mooo...burp...

roshead.jpg
Here, the next ale!

forgrimm.jpg
... Burp... I can feel the ox... in me. Mooooo... hahh, that was good.

roshead.jpg
Right! The last ale!

3bJyp.jpg

Brave with Dutch courage.

bogumil.jpg
[Bogumil appears to have found a friend in Forgrimm. It looks as if he wants to follow him.]

Success!

84PlR.jpg

Oh Frith. Scariest thing in the game so far.

hayo.jpg
Bogumil! Well, finally!

forgrimm.jpg
Moo ... aha ha, what fun that was. And five Pale Ales at no charge, that was worth it. Ha ha!

sayyid1.jpg
Yes, that was a real blast! And a story like that sticks with you forever. People never forget that kind of thing.

forgrimm.jpg
Uh ... do you think so? Hm ... maybe it would have been better not to make an ox of myself.

Hah. Gladys must've loved this part of the story.

sayyid1.jpg
Forgrimm really deserves a reward for his deed!

hayo.jpg
Hmmm, how about if I had this ox helmet repaired by the local blacksmith? You can pick it up there, then. I'm afraid that I hardly have anything that would be useful to you, otherwise.

That's no reward, that helmet is already ours...

cano1.jpg
[Haggle] Are you sure? I'm sure a merchant of your repute has something more interesting to sell.

YhAys.jpg

Five ducats! And we only spent ten farthings. A nice profit.

sayyid1.jpg
Farewell!

If you check with the blacksmith...

tarno.jpg
The helmet is for you? I had already wondered who it was for.

o4ETM.jpg

Well obviously. We'll check back later. Next time, one of the adventures you guys selected. Which one? Who knows!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
BN said:
Before we move on to the popular requests, I'll do a sidequest that is easy to miss. In fact I did miss it first time around, but bumped into it the second playthrough.

Heh, I remember that quest. Got it in my first playthrough.

BN said:
It exemplifies the German sense of humor.

Fix'd.

korenzel

Educated
Crooked Bee said:
BN said:
Fix'd.
I found Forgrimm's drunk talk pretty funny. The reward is an absolute joke though, but still better than the useless items you get from the magician.

Texas Red

Whiner
korenzel said:
Crooked Bee said:
BN said:
Fix'd.
I found Forgrimm's drunk talk pretty funny. The reward is an absolute joke though, but still better than the useless items you get from the magician.

Once the blacksmith finishes with the helmet, is it worth buying? I would never be able to afford it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Texas Red said:
Once the blacksmith finishes with the helmet, is it worth buying? I would never be able to afford it.

Worth it? Nah. I bought it once when I had way too much extra cash. It's a decent helmet (3 armor), gives a -3 to all talent points for magicians which isn't worth the protection trade off. It's "big thing" is a +10 bonus to fast talk, seduce and intimidate. It's the only way to up your intimidate score other than upping its main stats (strength, constitution and charisma I think), but really: meh. It's more of a funny unique item.

korenzel

Educated
It's not worth the outrageous price, but money isn't a concern if you devote skills points to crafting. Make perfect swords and sell all the ancient coins and you'll have thousands of ducats easily.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom