Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

Kz3r0

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
:rage:

"Your disk is faulty or has been tampered with." The save file is corrupted, and all the progress in the next dungeon is now lost. :/ I'll use the backup save, but that means I'll have to redo quite a lot of exploration and combat. So the next update is delayed, I'm afraid. I hate this shit.

Also, I've run out of Codex gallery space, and the card I'm using for online transactions is being reissued now, which is another delaying factor. Oh well.
:hug:

spekkio

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:

"Your disk is faulty or has been tampered with." The save file is corrupted, and all the progress in the next dungeon is now lost. :/ I'll use the backup save, but that means I'll have to redo quite a lot of exploration and combat. So the next update is delayed, I'm afraid. I hate this shit.

Also, I've run out of Codex gallery space, and the card I'm using for online transactions is being reissued now, which is another delaying factor. Oh well.
It's like this thing Kalos was writing about in his previous LP... :M

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Have you caught up with the latest events in this LP already, spekkun? I sure hope you have!
:rpgcodex:

You suffered a horrible death in the previous update, by the way.
:smug:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder if anyone knows how I'm supposed to

escape the 1x1 room (the one that has a card) inside the pyramid. I haven't been able to find any secret doors or anything. Is there some kind of spell/prayer I should cast? Or am I just supposed to use a medal of escape?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Ouch, that's harsh, thanks. Good thing I'm carrying two medals on me. Otherwise, I'd be trapped. :o Cruel game.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Later you will find similar trap. Always have a spare medal.

Crooked Bee

Patron
23: Cat-and-mouse

In which we explore the dungeon of twisted paths, FUUUUUUUUUU-, speak a word, solve a mind-bending lever puzzle, discover the dark heart of Uukrul, and grind a lot. Phew.

Previously on this LP, we solved the crossword puzzle and slayed the dragon living in the -- surprise, surpise -- dragon dungeon. A precious golden chalice and another frozen heart were our well-earned reward.

7927.jpg

Kalos only needs 703 exp to make level 9, so we go back to the dragon dungeon to grind a bit. In about 15 minutes, we slay some rats, goblins, spiders, and reptiles, which allows Kalos to level up:

7931.jpg

Yay!

7932.jpg

We see he's gained +1 to his Piety, Dexterity, and Vitality. :incline:
Let's now head to Sagaris to identify the golden chalice:

7933.jpg

7934.jpg

:incline: It must be worth quite a hefty sum.
But before we rush to the shop to sell it, let's check if spekkio and Kalos can obtain new rings.

7935.jpg

spekkio's Knowledge ring is now golden!
Kalos doesn't get any new rings though. Still, visiting the temple area allows us to invoke TULAR at an altar to increase our food supply. It's pretty nice that now that we've reached a certain level of skill, we don't need to waste money on food any more.

At the shop, we sell the chalice for 716 coins:

7936.jpg

Kewl. We also sell Rocket's Killer blade...

7937.jpg

...because it hasn't proved particularly useful, and I hate carrying useless stuff around.
Bee is equipped with a small shield, so let's buy a better one for her:

7938.jpg

The best there is in the shop is a Sacred targe (one only; exclusive!). Equipping it makes Bee's AC go from 19 to 21. Good.

So, uhm, let's explore Eriosthe further!
From UREAL, we take the eastern exit. UREAL is called the Sanctuary of Twisted Paths in the manual, so I'm going to be calling this dungeon the dungeon of twisted paths, oh yeah.

As you may remember from the previous update, this dungeon is a kind of test, a cat-and-mouse game with Uukrul himself. Let me remind you what happened once we entered it for the first time:

7840.jpg

We managed to escape this trap by acknowledging Uukrul's might, which made bro lightbane a bit butthurt. :P Still, a game's a game.
There's also a welcoming sign in here:

7842.jpg

So totally evil! I wonder what lies ahead...

7939.jpg

So north we go!
:yeah:

As I told you earlier, dear readers, my save file become corrupted for some reason when I was already halfway through this dungeon, so that I lost all the hard-earned exp from the fights I'd had by that point. After some consideration -- and after having reloaded my back-up save -- I decided not to be redoing *all* the exploration and combat, but rather to rush straight to the point I was at when the save got corrupted, simply because I already knew what I had to know and explored what I had to explore up to that point. The good thing is, the section I had already explored was kind of introductory, a prelude to the main part of the dungeon of twisted paths, so I could safely skip it given that I already had all the screenshots with the maps and inscriptions and other stuff from that section.
Which means that yeah, I'll be able to show you my exploration of that section. But please keep in mind that all the exp and automaps I received in there was soon to be lost.

7940.jpg

We're being watched, folks!

7941.jpg

:o
Along the way, we come across some mysterious indentations that seem to be randomly (?) placed:

7942.jpg

Sometimes there are seven indentations, sometimes there are three, or six, or one, etc. I still haven't been able to figure out what it's all about though. :?
A drawing beckons us:

7943.jpg

A hammer? :? What about a sickle, then?

7944.jpg

The path branches here. We go south -- and stumble upon a new type of enemy:

7945.jpg

Evil eye! :o

7946.jpg

"Red floating eye", lol. RPGs are quite ridiculous, aren't they? :roll:
The eye's true name is Gortonkleer, by the way. Just what kind of a name is that?

Gortonkleers are indeed quite evil, at least at the current level of our party. They can cast two nasty spells, both having the whole battlefield as their area of effect. The first spell stuns our party and perhaps even weakens us (I guess, since there are no descriptions of enemy spells given). And the second spell is definitely an ice spell, probably SEHKMUR, which is quite damaging to all our characters. To add insult to injury, Gortonkleers can also heal themselves, which they do as soon as their HP gets low. So the goal is to finish them off before they do that.
(I think I won't be covering the combat in detail here, as this update is supposed to cover many hours of gameplay in one go, so that I've got 1927 (!) screenshots to sort through, and I want to keep the images to a minimum, especially given that I don't have any Codex gallery space left and therefore will reluctantly be using imgboot soon.)

Still, Gortonkleers aren't the toughest kind of enemy as they don't have many HP, and with a right approach aren't too hard to kill.

7947.jpg

We win this fight, get some exp (plus 74 coins), and move on, eventually reaching a dead end. Nothing but another drawing in here.

7948.jpg

Again, a part of this drawing looks like a hammer. We also see two letters, T and S. The drawing certainly looks incomplete, to boot. I wonder what it means.
Getting a bit ahead of myself, I must confess that, just like with the indentations, I still haven't been able to figure out the meaning of this drawing. Oh well. :/

We head back to the crossroads and head north this time. A nasty-looking worm jumps at us!

7949.jpg

Bastard. We kill 'im quick. :P
We keep encountering strange indentations, and my head hurts. Also, killing a group of thieves lands us a cool-looking gem:

7950.jpg

Too bad the save is just about to get corrupted. :roll: Bye-bye, you pretty gem thingie! :cry:
Three nasty orcs attack us! One of them turns out to be an Orcish Lord:

7951.jpg

He is a quite nasty spellcaster, but Kalos invokes NULAMIR to silence him.

NULAMIR The Quiet House

Fshofth, On the shore of the lost lake,
There is a house. Though the spell makers talk,
It is quiet still. For though chanting sounds,
It will little disturb the air where they dwell.

The Orcish Lord gets totally defenseless after that.

7952.jpg

Thanks to the Lord having been silenced, the fight has been a cakewalk. Otherwise it could've got more nasty. And the exp reward is p. nice. Too bad we're going to lose all of it soon. :P
The next encounter is with a lot of green mushrooms:

7953.jpg

Funky. We're stunned and poisoned and oh my gosh.

7954.jpg

See that weird thingie right next to Lord Rocket? It's an Air Elemental Kalos has summoned to our aid!

Call elemental: a Priest may attempt to call forth an Elemental spirit to fight with the party. Elementals range in power from AIR, EARTH, WATER to FIRE.

If you are in combat, your Priest can also attempt to Call an Elemental. If you wish to call an Elemental, you are asked to choose which plane. Elemental spirits may be summoned from the four Elemental planes: AIR, EARTH, WATER, FIRE, increasing in power respectively. Elementals fight independently with the party against a common enemy, until the combat has finished or they have discharged their duty.
Your Priest's chance of successfully calling forth an Elemental depends on his skill. Calling demands a toll of your Priest's energies.

Yeah, it's the first time Kalos has successfully used the "Call elemental" command. Our dear priest has grown quite strong, yay!

With this, we've explored the first part of this dungeon and enter the second one.

7955.jpg

Another intersection. Jumping a bit ahead, I should say that taking the eastern path gets us to the main part of the dungeon of twisted paths, and going south and up the stairs simply allows us to explore some more (and this dungeon is quite maze-like) and get some clues maybe. It is the southern path that I'll be skipping after I've lost my save file. For now, however, let's head south.

First thing we notice is that there's a LOT of indentations in here. Gosh. We also come across another hammer drawing.

7956.jpg

A dead end!

7957.jpg

And yet another drawing:

7958.jpg

Another part of the incomplete drawing. The letters are different this time, however. :?
Back at the original intersection, we now go east.

7959.jpg

Two more evil eyes! We slay 'em.
Advancing further...

7960.jpg

:twisted: I hope you're shit scared already, dear audience.
The drawing ahead is just another hammer drawing, meh. No idea. Don't even ask.

Two ways to go now, east and west. First we go east.
Having slain another Orcish Lord, we meet a new kind of enemy -- a totally wild ant!

7961.jpg

One evil mofo.

7962.jpg

They aren't as tough as they look though. Movin' on.

7963.jpg

The path is long, and there are some intersections along the way. Some orcs and mushrooms are slain. Many new mysterious indentations are encountered.
The whole point of this long crawl seems to be this drawing we finally get to:

7964.jpg

Well, it's yet another (third) part of the incomplete drawing. And no, I dunno what it means. Two more letters though, A and I.
Kalos invokes MORPETH to reduce the random encounter rate which is quite high here.

MORPETH Quiet Walking

Drutho, Mistress of Stealth,
Bind our feet with soft silken cloth,
Silence our voices and muffle our steps,
That we may walk without calling our death.

It is here that the save got corrupted. :P So I got back to this point by skipping all the side-passages.
And now we reach the main part of Uukrul's test:

7965.jpg

Three tests, all leading to "the heart".

Three doors, eh?

Let's try the right one first.

Scary!

Judging by Uukrul's words, this is the most straightforward test -- the path of combat. Let's retreat for now.

I wonder what lies behind the middle door...

We enter it.

Hmm, oh-kay, I guess?

There's a secret door in here, and we're supposed to "speak a single word" to open it.

The problem is, I have no idea what the secret word may be. :?

The left door is a grate. A locked grate.

And there are two (?) more grates behind it. We're supposed to find the keys, but well, we've already explored the dungeon, quite exhaustively I thought, and haven't found even one of the keys. :?

I guess my wit is dim. :P So let's try doing it the hard way. We enter the right door again, the path of the sword.

Foul!

"Fuming organisms", ouch.
These organisms -- which are in fact a Mutant Cell and two Fuming Amoebae -- can spit acid...

...breathe acid...

...breathe gas which poisons us...

...spit poison...

...heal their wounds...

...as well as sting us:

Oh my.
We finally kill them all, after I dunno how many turns -- this battle is looooooooong -- but at the cost of ALL our psychic and virtue points. We even had to use our Elixir of energy (which restores those points), and it is now depleted.

The experience we get soothes my soul though. :P We also receive 78 coins, meh.

I'm not really sure that, without the virtue and psychic points, we're ready for whatever lies ahead. So we retreat to the sanctuary.

Hmmm. A few more battles like that one and we'll be able to level up...

At the Circle of Magicians, spekkio upgrades his Frost ring!

:incline:
No new rings for Kalos though. We go back to the dungeon of twisted paths.

Some undead thingies attack us, but Kalos' gold cross allows us to turn undead p. efficiently.

So yeah, Kalos kills all the undead almost single-handedly and therefore gets the most exp.

The encounter with Gortonkleers is a recurring/respawning one. This time, however, the floating red eyes are accompanied by two Trolls -- and my, those Trolls are hard to kill! Horrible creatures, those trolls. :roll: Not only do they heal their wounds when hurt, they can also stretch the passage of time:

Which is a nasty spell allowing the foes to get an additional action once in a while. (Yeah, one of the trolls is a "Major Golem", lol.)
Now that spekkio has the gold ring in the arkana of Frost, he's got a new spell at his disposal, SEHKLAZAR, which helps us a lot in this battle.

16 SEHKLAZAR The Golden Breath of Ice

A wind of extreme cold will blast from the breath of the caster. Damage upon all your foes will be great indeed, few will escape.

It costs 16 (!) psychic points and so is able to deplete spekkio's energy extremely fast. Yet, at the same time, it is extremely powerful. Without it, I don't we would've been able to win this fight, nor the fights to come. So getting the gold Frost ring was probably the most fortunate thing to happen to us at this point.

As you can see from the amount of HP we get, this battle has been quite hard. We also get 396 coins, which is p. nice. Too bad we are, again, totally out of spell points, so that we have to retreat to UREAL to have a rest.

The good thing is, we're getting closer and closer to a level up. That's why I decide to grind a bit.

So I go back to the battle with Gortonkleers and Trolls. This time there are three trolls here, oh my.

We're getting better at slaying them though, and the exp reward is still high even if a bit lower than the last time.
And here we go again! Grinding yay!

Hmmm, three trolls and a monk... We go all offensive and make spekkio cast SEHKLAZAR every turn. The battle is tough, but we prevail.

Major :incline:!

Heh, just a little bit more exp is all we need.
The problem is, this game does not allow you to grind much. It seems to have a special anti-grinding mechanics implemented, so that when we go back to the gortonkleer encounter for the fourth time, we don't get any tough enemies anymore.

No trolls or monks, meh. And the exp reward is negligible:

I try again and again, but nope, no tough enemies spawn at all. The game wants us to push forward, it seems. :roll: Ah well. It's trickier that I suspected.

So forward we go -- back to the testing area.

Uukrul mockingly asks us if we've found out the secret word yet. We haven't. :(
Oh well, the fuming amoebae await!

After a long hard fight...

(FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-)

...we slay the green bastards!

I am again too afraid to proceed further though, given that -- again -- we've wasted all our virtue and psychic points on those amoebae. So back to UREAL we go! :roll:

Retreating is quite worthwhile in this case, however, as three of our comrades level up! :salute:

Lord Rocket gains +1 in Strength and Piety.

For Bee, this level-up means +1 to Strength, Piety, and Dexterity!

And finally, spekkio's Dexterity and Vitality increase by one point.
:salute: :salute: :salute:

Also, Bee can equip the Kris of resting, the bloody anti-mage dagger, now!

And spekkio-kun gets a Platinum ring in the arkana of Healing!

Yay!
The 10th archival passage is now available, too:

We'll get to the pyramid and the torture cells in the next update. :twisted:

And Kalos gets a Platinum ring from Ufthu! :incline:
At the shop, we buy a Greatsword to replace Bee's Broadsword:

And the same for Rocket. We also buy a Mail coif for him, as a replacement of his Leather coif:

Lord Rocket's AC goes from 24 to 26, yay.
And how 'bout a new helm for Bee?

Bee's AC increases from 21 to 23! :mondblut:
Hmm, a Mail coif and Hard leather boots for Kalos?

Kalos' AC is now 17 instead of 14! He also gets to wield a new weapon, Morning star:

And then we buy a Healing salve for everyone. The shopping is now complete. :roll:

The task now is to grind on the nasty amoebae until we're good enough to not experience any problems when fighting them at all.
BUT FIRST... Let's speak a word!

Yup, folks, I've got a bright idea. Uukrul wants us to "speak a single word", eh?

Hmm, wrong. Then maybe...

:salute: Yay! (I'm very smug about this issue.)

And so we've passed the test. Which doesn't mean we won't be back for some more grinding, 'coz it lands some nice exp. :P

:roll:
Yeah, the urn ahead seems to be hiding Uukrul's dark heart (in case you've been wondering why the game's called "Dark Heart of Uukrul" :P), but we can't reach it from here...

:? Oh well.
There's another door in the back though:

And I wonder what the inscription ahead may be...

My head! It hurts! Let's leave this for later, 'k?

But anyway. We can't get to Uukrul's dark heart without solving the lever puzzle, which we'll do a bit later, so let's head south, through the next door.

We come across a black bound book along the way.

Oooooooh.
And finally we reach the next sanctuary!

Let's head to Sagaris and have the black book identified.
It costs us 300 coins FFS!

Hmmmm....
Let's backup our game and...

:smug:

Uh-oh. :roll:

We sell the evil book. Good riddance.

Now back to grinding! :salute: Vile amoebae, here we come!

Cool. The battle is still draining, however.
We go back to UREAL and then to the temple area.

Yay! A new ring from Drutho for Kalos.

And back to the amoebae again...

And again...

spekkio gets a new ring after the last battle:

We can also read the 11th passage now:

Hmm. That seems to be too far ahead to be worried about now, though.

Yay! Another ring for Kalos!

:incline: of Kalos. It looks like our grinding is paying off!

So yeah, back to the amoebae yet again...

And one more time, boy...

No problems this time. I guess we've grown strong enough.
Let's see what lies behind the next door...

It's four trolls!

Rocket gets really close to death...

The battle wasn't too hard, really. We're good, yay!

Still, we are again out of spell points, and I suspect there's at least one more battle behind the next door, so we rush back to UREAL to rest.
spekkio gets awarded yet another ring, by the way:

Kewl.

You're progressing quite fast, spekkio-kun!

Back at the combat test, we first face the amoebae. We have a new (platinum) spell at our disposal now, LENTIIS, which allows us to stretch the passage of time:

8 LENTIIS The Holding Heart

This Spell affects the forces that bind time to this world. When cast, the passage of time around the party will be slowed for a moderate period. This dilation of time can affect the severity of poisons, the speed and agility of enemies in combat, your consumption of food, and even the duration of other Spells you have in effect at the time. It is your responsibility to use this valuable Spell where it will be of most benefit to your party. Also, be aware that certain creatures have the ability to control time for their own purposes, reversing the effects of this Spell.

Yay! So that was the spell the trolls were casting!

So yeah, we slay the amoebae:

Facing the trolls, spekkio tries casting another platinum Knowledge spell, SATOR:

15 SATOR The Mind Siphon

The mysterious powers of your will may, by this incantation, be used to bind and feed upon the psychic energies of a foe of like intelligence. The siphon will seek out from those against you, one who is also capable of the use of magic. If there is such an enemy present, the siphon will attempt to forge a channel between your two minds, through which you may drain-his psychic energy, weakening his powers and restoring your own. While the siphon is attached, he will be incapable of using any magic. Powerful minds will try to resist this fearsome Spell, but it is strong and a highly valuable part of your discipline.

SATOR is paired with another platinum spell in the arkana of Knowledge, ROTAS (quite obvious, isn't it?):

1 ROTAS Suction

This is the Spell that is used to draw psychic energy through the mind siphon. It has no effect unless Sator has first been used to establish a link. While a siphon is attached to an enemy, you must concentrate your complete attention on maintaining its hold. Every time you act, you must cast the Rotas Spell, which will both reinforce the siphon and draw some of the victim's energy through to your mind. This Spell, therefore, increases your psychic energy each time it is successfully cast. The more powerful your foe. the more energy will be gained each time it is cast. The mind siphon will eventually break, but if you fail to cast Rotas even once, it will break immediately. Once broken, a siphon cannot be re-established.

So yeah, spekkio casts SATOR, but...

Oh. :/
Still, we prevail:

Plus 788 coins. :P
And the third challenge is...

Flame spirits! :o

Frightening!

Uh-oh. :o
Kalos invokes DROM to increase our attack power:

DROM Strength to the Sword Arm

Ufthu, Soldier of Misfortune,
Hear your humble Priest,
Send your strength to those on earth,
Who bear steel against the dark foes.

Nice.
One of the flame spirits is called Morszuleth, and the other one is called Morszutu. WTF? :roll:

Lord Rocket breaks his scimitar.

With the aid of DROM, Bee and Rocket do indeed hit p. hard. SEHKLAZAR also helps.
Since these are flame (fire) spirits, Kalos calls forth a Water elemental:

The Water elemental looks funny. :P

And it hits Morszutu quite hard. (Water is strong against fire, etc. :roll:) Nice!

:yeah: We're victorious!
In fact, this has concluded the battle test. We find ourselves in the area with the urn.

And you know what?

Our whole party levels up again!

At the temple of Fshofth, Kalos receives a new ring:

Oh yeah, let's have a look at our attributes.

Lord Rocket gains +1 in Piety and Vitality.

Bee, +1 in Vitality.

Kalos has gained +1 to his Dexterity.

Finally, spekkio's Strength, Intelligence, and Piety have all increased by one.

At the forge, we repair Rocket's Scimitar, and at the shop, we buy him new Steel leggings:

That increases his AC from 26 to 27.
We also buy Steel leggins and a Plate mail for Bee:

Bee's AC is now 27. :salute:

Let's now solve the lever puzzle and get to the mysterious urn!
So yeah, 8 levers:

And a drawing with 8 crosses:

Long story short, the path to the urn consists of many 1x1 rooms, together making up the 4x4 area depicted in the drawing. Each 1x1 room has one to four doors. Pulling a lever means rotating (or something like that) one of the rooms so that the correct combination allows you to make a path that will lead you straight to the urn, as evident from the drawing. Otherwise, you're destined to stumble into a dead end.
It took me about 1,5 hours (!) of lever flipping to figure out the correct combination, which is pulling levers #1, #3, #4, #5, and #8. Gosh, I'm dumb. But insistent. And we finally get to the urn.

Let's approach it, shall we?

:twisted:

A heart of black glass? That must be Uukrul's dark heart!

Six sockets, meaning we need six stone hearts to unlock the mechanism. And we've only got five. Oh well. We'll be sure to return here later!

I'm tempted to say we've cleared the dungeon of twisted paths. Two questions remain though:
1. What the hell are those indentations supposed to mean?
2. What the hell are those drawings with the letters for?
I wonder if that's important...

Next time: pyramid!

Oh, and let me remind you of a certain quote from page 1 of this LP:

Hell March said:
This will never get past Tara--err, Pyramid.

Was Hell March correct in his assessment? It is a mystery, yay, so stay tuned!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Awesome progress!
Crooked Bee said:
It's solution to your secret word problem. Connect the proper dots and so on.
Crooked Bee said:
It's related to four grates.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Thanks!

Fowyr said:
Crooked Bee said:
It's solution to your secret word problem. Connect the proper dots and so on.

Oh, so connecting the dots gives you "WORD"? Heh. Good thing the answer is p. easy to guess once you get in the right mood.

Fowyr said:
Crooked Bee said:
It's related to four grates.

Hmmm. Ah, meh.

Kashmir Slippers said:
I don't know if I could have made myself keep going after the save corrupted.

Luckily enough, I only lost my progress in this particular dungeon and I could easily skip the part that was lost without any repercussions, to boot. Otherwise it would've taken much longer for this update to appear. :P

lightbane

Arcane
Your tenacity/"asperging" is admirable, who knows, maybe you'll even be able to finish this lp :M

torpid

Liturgist
I see that Uukrul is a pretty stereotypical, cackling villain who's all too susceptible to flattery. He won't be any match for us -- especially if we grind hone our fighting skills.

The amount of detail is impressive in such an old game. And the puzzles are scary: I would've gotten stuck very early on :oops:

The game's level of detail combined with the LP's level of detail make this an awesome LP.

korenzel

Educated
The "speak the word" riddle is an old classic, it would have been my first try.

It looks like you unlocked almost all the rings for your mage and cleric, so you can't be too far from the end. I'm still waiting for an improbable plot twist, maybe Mara is the evil one ?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I love the spell descriptions.

Specifically, the "Quiet House" is pretty cool lore embroidery on a rather common spell. It's easy to imagine the god being annoyed at the noise and enforcing quiet.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
korenzel said:
It looks like you unlocked almost all the rings for your mage and cleric, so you can't be too far from the end.
Bee finished slightly more than half of the game.
korenzel said:
I'm still waiting for an improbable plot twist, maybe Mara is the evil one ?
No. :smug:

Crooked Bee

Patron
lightbane said:
Your tenacity/"asperging" is admirable, who knows, maybe you'll even be able to finish this lp :M

"Get a life, bee!"

torpid said:
I see that Uukrul is a pretty stereotypical, cackling villain who's all too susceptible to flattery. He won't be any match for us -- especially if we grind hone our fighting skills.

The amount of detail is impressive in such an old game. And the puzzles are scary: I would've gotten stuck very early on :oops:

The game's level of detail combined with the LP's level of detail make this an awesome LP.

torpid's back! :P
I would've gotten stuck at the crossword puzzle, too, if not for the help of my dear audience.

korenzel said:

korenzel said:
It looks like you unlocked almost all the rings for your mage and cleric, so you can't be too far from the end. I'm still waiting for an improbable plot twist, maybe Mara is the evil one ?

A plot twist? In mah dungeon crawler!? Blasphemy!

As for nearing the end, well, as Fowyr said, there's still a long way to go. Here, let me quote the list of sanctuaries from the manual:

URTAS Sanctuary of the Ancients
URLASAR Sanctuary of the Village
URMOR Sanctuary of Deepering Night
URLUSAM Sanctuary of High Vaulted Ceilings
URRAN Sanctuary Beyond Reason
URSHAS Sanctuary of the Dragon
UREAL Sanctuary of Twisted Paths
URTEHLN Sanctuary Beneath the Pyramid
URZHUT Sanctuary of the Great Engineer
URQOL Sanctuary Beneath the Cube
URQASTUR Sanctuary of Adron's Legions
UROQLAMN Sanctuary of Adron s Palace
URXASZEL Sanctuary Beyond the Beacon

We've just discovered URTEHLN.

SCO said:
I love the spell descriptions.

Me too. It's obvious the developers put quite a lot of effort into those.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Wow, a very long and interesting update. You're doing an amazing work with this LP :salute:
I like how you continue to crawl through the dungeon, while all those puzzles become more and more difficult with each successive one.

Crooked Bee

Patron
So yeah, even though I recently started a Whale's Voyage LP as well as a 2400 A.D. LP -- both of which you should definitely check out if you still haven't -- that doesn't mean I've abandoned Uukrul; I totally haven't. And here's proof.

(This update is a bit rushed as I didn't have much time for it, sorry for that.)

24: The Pyramid

In which we play cards, push buttons, teleport, fall unconscious, and climb up!

Previously on this LP, we passed Uukrul's tests, found the urn with the dark heart, and reached the URTEHLN sanctuary. The next area awaits us, and it is the much-fabled pyramid, a place of torture and many woes. I must admit I found this area almost incredibly easy compared to many of the former ones, in spite of Hell March's statement, quoted at the end of the previous update, that this LP "will never get past Pyramid". In part that certainly has to do with there being no random encounters here (what a relief!), and in part to the puzzles being not really hard or devious.

As we exit URTEHLN via the eastern exit, one leading deeper inside the mountain city of Eriosthe, we come across two inscriptions -- or rather, an inscription and a drawing. Looking at the drawing, we see it depicts a pyramid-shaped structure:

ZqCbv.jpg

It even has a "you are here" star-like marker! The circles are apparently sanctuaries: we've just exited URTEHLN, and now must get to the one on top the pyramid that has 5 or 6 levels, from the looks of it.
The inscription is in foreign...

vLMiQ.jpg

...but spekkio translates it with NGOSLAZAR:

P7LNt.jpg

We are told we need some "magic cards", whatever that might mean, to access the upper levels. We'll be sure to keep that in mind.
To the east is a door which we enter; we can't fail to notice a riddle-like message on the floor:

5pRMe.jpg

Judging by the inscription we've just translated, "4 cards" are needed to access "4 stops", i.e., the four upper levels of the pyramid; the exact way in which that works is still unclear. Apparently we also should look for "4 keys" to open "4 locks". "1 final card before you depart" is probably a card we need to exit the pyramid, or is it?
As we go on ruminating, the corridor opens up into a hall:

zOHd7.jpg

So this is a prison, it seems; a prison abbreviated as ABCDEF. Spooky.
In the centre of it is ... a copper hoop?

PQdMm.jpg

Hmm, nothing happens as we walk over it apart from a slight tingle. Which makes me wonder...
But anyway. We poke around the room further, discovering a secret door:

2yT2w.jpg

I'm not sure if I already told you this, but there's a very handy spell -- a copper spell in the Arkana of Knowledge -- called TALIS, which, once cast, automatically searches around for secret doors as you go; it is of short duration but great help. The yellow "Search" message in the above screenshot means precisely that TALIS is now active.

kFecF.jpg

The door doesn't yield to Lord Rocket's brute force, nor to Kalos' HOYAMOQ. Weird. Up to now HOYAMOQ has been the option that never failed. Looking in the manual, I remember there's a secret door-opening spell called ALTIS -- a silver spell in the Arkana of Knowledge --

4 ALTIS The Psychic Key

Many secret doors have been bound shut by magic. This Spell will attempt to use a great magical force to open such doors to you and your companions. It can also release doors that are held with some physical obstruction, but this may require more than one application.

-- and, surprisingly enough, it works!

Wn4ft.jpg

I wonder if it means this door was "held with some physical obstruction", given that HOYAMOQ couldn't open it. :? Also, too bad this game doesn't have next-gen animations so we could witness "a blinding flash and a shower of sparks" the message speaks of, but whatever. We enter the secret door.

YgtWz.jpg

"Movement cards", huh? I wonder if those are the same as the "magic cards" mentioned in the inscription earlier.
There's also a lever and a slot here; let us examine the slot first:

AbN2O.jpg

I wonder what that could be. Exploring the slot with a sword sounds dangerous, so we pull the lever instead:

FjXWW.jpg

spekkio takes the movement card. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the copper circle in the middle of the hall:

ymt38.jpg

I'm itching to identify it, however, so let's avoid the copper hoop for now and head to Sagaris to identify the card; just for the fun of it. Sagaris does indeed have some useful things to say this time:

juheE.jpg

It's all clear now. The copper hoof is a teleporter device and, provided the magician is holding the card, we can be transported one level up by entering the hoop. Easy peasy.
We return to the pyramid's ground floor -- and here we go:

NIwFE.jpg

We find ourselves in another square-shaped hall with four exits, all looking exactly the same. We randomly decide to explore east first, entering a large deserted room:

QP6k0.jpg

It is indeed very large, and unmappable to boot, meaning this is a puzzle area. In its centre there stands a small building with four doors on the four sides, all again identically-looking. We have no reason to prefer one door to another and so enter the very first door we face when entering the room.

bcp5O.jpg

Inside we face a strange contraption. The sign reads "Interrogation Rooms". Lacking any better options, we choose to Touch the lower panel (making sure to write down our choice, of course, just in case), and two more options appear:

fT07m.jpg

This time we randomly go for the first option:

GW5H0.jpg

In an instant, we are teleported to another room. And it doesn't look nice or friendly:

hualh.jpg

Looks like a torture room to me. Should've guessed what "an interrogation room" means around here.
Turning around we notice a key:

jwm6A.jpg

Lord Rocket picks it up. I think we've just found one of the four keys that, according to the mysterious message on the floor, we're supposed to find in here. So far so good.

5JF6J.jpg

On a second thought, this game is probably better off without having any animated details. Let's get out of this nasty place.

GRLXw.jpg

The room is really, really small by the way. As we exit it...

DLpTf.jpg

...we find ourselves back in the four-exit room, without being given an option to go back to the torture chamber. Which means the only way we can access the interrogation rooms is via pushing teleporter buttons! :P So back to the button-pushing room we go.

zPfFw.jpg

We go for 1-1 this time -- and a new room awaits us:

sjr8d.jpg

Another key here for us to pick up (nice!), as well as another horror detail:

XXF7i.jpg

If you think all these details -- like a severed arm or old torture instruments -- are around here just for the sake of atmosphere, well, you're mistaken. You can and should use them to identify the room you're in. You see, pushing the teleporter buttons sometimes gets you in a room you've already visited before, and you must make it out in order not to waste your time too much. You see, there are in fact four teleporters in the large eastern hall, not just one; each teleporter uses the same mechanism: first you must choose to touch either the upper or the lower panel, and then either the left or the right flashing stud -- after which you are teleported to one of the interrogation chamber. Naturally, you must keep notes of your progress, or else you'll be lost pretty soon, as everything looks the same.
Another catch is, you can sometimes come across some pretty nasty traps in interrogation rooms:

D30kG.jpg

And you'd better NOT step on the circle!

3VTC2.jpg

And this is no trite matter: Kalos's attributes are now PERMANENTLY decreased! :o And the game is devilish enough to rewrite your save at this point! So I have to reload the latest back-up sanctuary save and go back to this point. Oh my.
There are in fact, from what I've gathered, two kinds of circles -- the first kind, the circles located in dead ends (like the one we've just witnessed), permantly descreases your stats; the second kind is located in front of doors...

u46WU.jpg

...so that you cannot bypass them by any means if you want to exit the room! Luckily enough, they simply stun you, so no big problem here.
So yeah, there are four teleporter rooms in the eastern large unmappable hall, and eventually we explore them all, as well as all the interrogation rooms they teleport us to, exhausting all possible button combinations. Here's a record of my progress; without keeping notes I never would've made it:

Code:
East section: West teleporter room, south room, north room, east room

1.1. West room
2-1: bronze key
1-1: brass key
1-2: circle -> Kalos permanently loses 1 strength -> save overwritten! Being a powergamer, I reload the backup sanctuary save
2-2: circle -> spekkio is stunned, but his attributes remain unchanged

1.2 South room
1-1: inscription -> “LEVEL TWO – PRISONER INTERROGATION CENTER”
1-2: circle
2-1: circle
2-2: card -> stuck!!

1.3 North room
1-1: iron key
1-2: empty room
2-1: chrome key
2-2: inscription -> “LEVEL TWO – PRISONER INTERROGATION CENTER”

1.4. East room
1-1: a room with old torture instruments -> looks like I’ve been here before
1-2: circle
2-1: a room with a severed arm -> looks like I’ve been here before
2-2: circle -> Kalos is stunned, but his attributes remain unchanged

According to the messages we stumble upon...

C3vbV.jpg

...this is level 2 of the Pyramid, the Prisoner Interrogation Center. We find all the four keys the floor message spoke of, and eventually start going in circles.
One thing left to cover here is the 2-2 combination in the south teleporter room.

0Jfkm.jpg

This time we're teleported to a room where we find the second card, meaning we can now teleport to level 3 of the pyramid. Well, it'd all be cool if not for the fact that...

... we're trapped in here! :o
This is a one-square room without any doors, or secret doors, or anything! Casting TALIS doesn't help, and after a moment of hesitation, we use one of the three Medals of escape we're carrying:

zBVha.jpg

OK6v4.jpg

Sem3i.jpg

The medal, when used, takes us to the MELAS teleporter, and we go back to URTEHLN from here. We remove the second card from spekkio's inventory for the moment, however, as we need to explore level 2 further before going up to level 3.

Once we've explored the large eastern hall and found all the four keys, we are faced with a question: what are the other three exits for?

6foFM.jpg

Let us first check the southern one.

kTEcZ.jpg

We find ourselves in a large hall identical to the eastern one; again, there are four teleporter rooms in here. But the place feels much spookier.
What about the northern hall?

3aLw3.jpg

It is bad for spekkio's health! So we leave asap.
And now to the western one:

m9D6W.jpg

This time it's Kalos who's feeling bad in here, and we leave.
Well, folks, in my view -- and I hope Fowyr will correct me if I'm mistaken -- these three halls simply aren't supposed to be used. The eastern hall, which we entered first, turned out to be the only "normal" one; the thing is, I experimented with the southern hall teleporters a bit, and they take you to the same rooms as the eastern ones, so it looks like our task is done here on the 2nd level. At least I think so.

We now hand the second card over to spekkio -- and levitate upwards to level 3:

WPM36.jpg

Yay!

yFIw7.jpg

Looks weird.
It's really easy though. There are four control panels on this level.

PG5Zb.jpg

Each panel has three buttons, Lock, Unlock, and Activate. Being an experienced dungeon crawler, I go for the Unlock button first. :P

9JlnM.jpg

The southern panel's Unlock button doesn't work though. :? I refrain from pressing Activate; let's explore the other panels first and see if we can unlock whatever it is they are supposed to unlock.

fvbnD.jpg

It sure is hot in here.

DDSYP.jpg

Horrible!

ddYbR.jpg

We gradually explore this level. The Unlock buttons on the other three control panels work perfectly, by the way:

dfqns.jpg

Along the way we also come across...

AlTeB.jpg

...a torture fire! :o

dSTWc.jpg

And finally the level is explored. We return to the southern control panel to see if the Unlock button works now that we've pushed the same button on the three other panels. It doesn't though, so we have nothing left to do but press Activate as we tremble with fear!

uJEZ2.jpg

We find ourselves on level 4, and there sure is a lot of grates in here! Most of them are, however, unlocked -- it looks like pushing all the Unlock buttons we could before pressing Activate was in fact a good idea. Otherwise we'd probably have to use another Medal of escape.
And when I say a lot of grates, I mean really a whole lot:

ucirv.jpg

We find another card along the way:

Gawsp.jpg

And yet another one. Two new cards, yay!

ss0Tr.jpg

This level looks funny. Some grates are locked, but we use the keys we found to unlock them. Wonderful.
We also meet an NPC here:

xkUGM.jpg

It is a fighter, and he's close to death. It looks like he was one of Mara's party.
We Offer him water:

kxgty.jpg

And he continues:

zjkMi.jpg

Look for Mara in the Chaos? Sounds scary!
We now choose to Make him more comfortable, poor fellow:

JDgvc.jpg

So ... tragic. :cry:

y7qS7.jpg

We are given no other option but to Wait to be told more.

23Nqk.jpg

And we now have the fifth stone heart. Good.

FuH6F.jpg

We are done with this level, let's proceed up.

dXRDV.jpg

We are on level 4 now.

hT24f.jpg

There's an inscription right ahead of us, so we approach and read it:

VPqpW.jpg

URTEHLN is the sanctuary we started exploring the pyramid from, and URZHUT is the next one. And the cross looks almost like the map of this level, but something seems off... Which gives me an idea.

But first we pick up a book lying on the ground here:

EzEN4.jpg

It is probably useless, but we take it.

Oh yeah, about that idea of mine:

F8FOY.jpg

Yup, to make the map cross-shaped like the one in the drawing, the only thing we needed is find a secret door! :P Again, casting ALTIS is the only way of opening it; we cast it three times...

TtBkF.jpg

...and the door swings open!

18KNY.jpg

Another card in here! :incline:
This secret door and this card were probably the meaning of the "1 final door" and "1 final card before you depart" part of the floor message.

MpIPF.jpg

Now spekkio has enough cards for us to move on to the top of the pyramid.

64Xix.jpg

And here we are.

Ky6ek.jpg

A door to the west and a corridor leading east. Naturally, we enter the door first.

urCHN.jpg

A nice-looking shield is here, which we of course pick up.

QwmA2.jpg

Then we head down the corridor. It's pretty long. We have TALIS on so we could be alerted about any secret doors we pass by.

TR3lY.jpg

As we enter the next door we disturb a bunch of monks. And what is that red sphere they're hiding, I wonder? Let's kill them all to find that out!

KKUjv.jpg

The monks are pretty tough despite the silly looks. spekkio casts SELAKIM to improve our AC, and Bee goes all extreme:

FiA81.jpg

Rocket hits a monk for 79 hp; Kalos recites DROM to increase our attack power. The monk silences Kalos in return:

maLRL.jpg

Shit, we should've invoked NULAMIR first. Oh well, whatever.
spekkio casts LENTIIS to stretch the flow of time:

qTg7g.jpg

With the help of DROM, Bee sure does A LOT of damage:

3KZXl.jpg

Cool.
Using SEHKLAZAR and other nifty spell thingies, we soon emerge victorious from this battle:

M8YeT.jpg

Some exp here.

YDBne.jpg

And the mysterious blood red sphere. I wonder what it is.

9XwXs.jpg

Hmm. :? We'll have to show it to Sagaris, I think.
And so we arrive to the next sanctuary, URZHUT!

MIM1I.jpg

We activate it and deposit all the movement cards here. And now off to Sagaris we go!
First we identify the shield for 120 coins:

rDiCq.jpg

Sound great.
And now the blood red globe for 300 coins:

gFXRP.jpg

It's ... magic, yay!
As we return to URZHUT, the first thing we do is rub our Scrying mirror -- the one which, as you may remember, is supposed to let us peek into the future:

RSUPR.jpg

A cube with shimmering lines? :? Intriguing!
Let's also rub the Globe of blood:

1piVe.jpg

go5eb.jpg

A large urn? A pulsing black heart? Yeah, it's Uukrul's dark heart, folks.
At the Circle of Magicians, we can now read the next archival passage:

de130.jpg

Steampunky!
I wonder what dangers await us next...

Next time: who knows what.

lightbane

Arcane
Traps that decrease your attributes AND overwrite your save sound NASTY... So it would be perfect to include something like that in a next-gen rpg (but slightly toned down, making an obvious trap that only a fool would fall for it), the consoletards' butthurt would be over 9000 :P

Kz3r0

Arcane
The trolling was strong in this one, congratulations for besting it. :salute:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crooked Bee said:
Well, folks, in my view -- and I hope Fowyr will correct me if I'm mistaken -- these three halls simply aren't supposed to be used. The eastern hall, which we entered first, turned out to be the only "normal" one; the thing is, I experimented with the southern hall teleporters a bit, and they take you to the same rooms as the eastern ones, so it looks like our task is done here on the 2nd level. At least I think so.
I can't remember much, but after consulting with my almost unreadable notes, seems you are right. Classy trolling indeed.

Crooked Bee

Patron
:salute:

lightbane said:
Traps that decrease your attributes AND overwrite your save sound NASTY... So it would be perfect to include something like that in a next-gen rpg (but slightly toned down, making an obvious trap that only a fool would fall for it), the consoletards' butthurt would be over 9000 :P

I shudder to think what their reaction would be...

Fowyr said:
Crooked Bee said:
I can't remember much, but after consulting with my almost unreadable notes, seems you are right. Classy trolling indeed.

Thanks, I was a bit worried I might've missed out on something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom