Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Robots! Pew pew! Revolution! Let's play 2400 A.D.! -- Done!!

lightbane

Arcane
Random question: Can you attack npcs? If so, can you kill the Revolution leader to force a special game over screen or something?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Crooked Bee said:
Sorry, I'm just taking a short break from Uukrul. Not many people seem to be interested in this little LP though. :/ :attentionbee:

I'm interested but, like with many other LPs I find interesting, I never played the game myself and hence don't have anything of value to add. Participation is the hard part and there might be times where you don't even want your audience to keep you going. In that vein: stop the damn whining already and get on with it!

HeathenBee.png

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks, dear three readers.
:love:

MMXI said:
Oh yeah, this is a map of the game world.

Uhm, is it spoilerish much? This isn't Uukrul, of course, where consulting a map equals cheating, but I'd rather (attempt to) beat the game without any external help. :P It's not like getting around is too hard, really. It's just that maps tend to kill exploration sometimes... I wonder if this game originally came with a map; if not, I'd rather not use one either.

lightbane said:
Random question: Can you attack npcs? If so, can you kill the Revolution leader to force a special game over screen or something?

Yup, you can attack NPCs and kill pretty much everyone. But no, there's no special game over screen or anything. I'm not sure if plot-critical NPCs respawn though -- exiting and entering the area certainly doesn't respawn them (I tried), but perhaps they do respawn after some time? I dunno. If, however, they indeed stay dead, well, that just means you're screwed and (probably) won't be able to finish the game, simple as that. At least I think so.

Pussycat669 said:

That is truly the best and cutest bee image I've ever seen, in spite of its horrible, frightening, anti-bee content. :salute:

MisterStone

Arcane
Dudes this game is tha shizzit. I played it about 20 years ago on an Apple II. It is sort of like Ultima Lite, HOWEVER the challenge increases later on with fun stuff like mazes based on teleporters and moving sidewalks. There's lots of cool markers of progress such as getting a certain kind of pass key, etc. that lets you get to new areas, which always made me excited. The huge city map was pretty awesome too, the police system was pretty fun, also the way that you get busted and sent to prison/the hospital was pretty innovative for that time IIRC. IIRC there is a lot of adventure game stuff (use 'item' on 'square') to make it worth playing, but it's not a highly strategic battle simulator sort of game. Later on you basically finish some side quests and assemble teh best equipment evar, and I don't think there's really any strategy on that front other than get the best stuff, and upgrade when possible.

I believe that at some point you can hack some shit so that you needn't go back to that citizen's tracking office, so no worries there.

Also, you can be run over by the subway, definitely have to try that out for us.

I can't remember a whole lot about the game now, but I know that it is pretty damn good, not just for what it is, but good period.

MMXI

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Uhm, is it spoilerish much? This isn't Uukrul, of course, where consulting a map equals cheating, but I'd rather (attempt to) beat the game without any external help. :P It's not like getting around is too hard, really. It's just that maps tend to kill exploration sometimes... I wonder if this game originally came with a map; if not, I'd rather not use one either.
It's not for you. It's for other people who want to visualise the game world. You can spoil the fun for yourself, of course, but that's up to you. Though I'm sure you are above such things. :smug:

Crooked Bee said:
Yup, you can attack NPCs and kill pretty much everyone. But no, there's no special game over screen or anything. I'm not sure if plot-critical NPCs respawn though -- exiting and entering the area certainly doesn't respawn them (I tried), but perhaps they do respawn after some time? I dunno. If, however, they indeed stay dead, well, that just means you're screwed and (probably) won't be able to finish the game, simple as that. At least I think so.
I don't think you can really screw yourself completely. I mean, you can kill NPCs and miss out on all the clues, but I believe the game will still be completable if you know the codes and can somehow survive. Actually, having thought about it, you probably need to leave the vendors alive to get some necessary items, though you can kill them afterwards.

MisterStone said:
Dudes this game is tha shizzit. I played it about 20 years ago on an Apple II. It is sort of like Ultima Lite, HOWEVER the challenge increases later on with fun stuff like mazes based on teleporters and moving sidewalks. There's lots of cool markers of progress such as getting a certain kind of pass key, etc. that lets you get to new areas, which always made me excited. The huge city map was pretty awesome too, the police system was pretty fun, also the way that you get busted and sent to prison/the hospital was pretty innovative for that time IIRC. IIRC there is a lot of adventure game stuff (use 'item' on 'square') to make it worth playing, but it's not a highly strategic battle simulator sort of game. Later on you basically finish some side quests and assemble teh best equipment evar, and I don't think there's really any strategy on that front other than get the best stuff, and upgrade when possible.
Yep. It's very much like an adventure game. I've always said that the Ultima games sit near the border with adventure games within the sphere of RPGs. 2400 A.D, being an Ultima-like Origin game, follows on from them. As a fan of adventure games, I quite like the mix.

MisterStone said:
I can't remember a whole lot about the game now, but I know that it is pretty damn good, not just for what it is, but good period.
Pretty much this.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
MisterStone said:

I believe that at some point you can hack some shit so that you needn't go back to that citizen's tracking office, so no worries there.

Also, you can be run over by the subway, definitely have to try that out for us.

:salute:

I already got run over by the subway, actually, but no one seems to have noticed. :emobee:

MMXI said:
Though I'm sure you are above such things. :smug:

Oh your smugness is killing me.

MMXI

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
I already got run over by the subway, actually, but no one seems to have noticed. :emobee:
Quit whining. Only MisterStone failed to notice. Everyone else appreciated your failed in-game suicide attempt. :salute:

Crooked Bee said:
Oh your smugness is killing me.
:smug:

MisterStone

Arcane
Sorry about that bro, I finally caught up to the let's play, sort of. So much talking in this game, it's like Ultima V in a shoebox.

Actually, if you added up all the local maps, I bet it wouldn't be much smaller than the ones in UV. That's a huge azz city.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 3: I got the power

In which we get a plasma rifle.

Previously on this LP, we met the leader of the Metropolis resistance, collected some info, and bought a Heavy Shield for Bee. Now it looks like our grinding (= robot killing spree) is causing quite a stir around the city:

i0zeW.jpg

We're in the underground now, looking for new NPCs to meet. One of them is Horace:

RzpPf.jpg

As you may remember, Horace is the one who, as Melvin was kind enough to tell us, knows the code for something called a "binary maze". So we ask Horace for the CODE:

Ztjze.jpg

DDDUD, nice. The maze is binary, so it's basically 00010.
We still have enough credits left to buy a new weapon at Wes', by the way:

Qso3h.jpg

We buy a Laser Cutter for 1000 creds.

LASER CUTTER: A very fragile weapon that is easy to use due to its long-duration beam. Moderate strength.

That this weapon is fragile is in fact, contrary to what it might seem, pretty good for us while Bee is still low-level (even though, as you surely have noticed, there are strictly speaking no character levels in this game). That's because whenever a weapon breaks, Bee can try fixing it (by pressing F to open the repair menu), and whenever Bee succeeds in repairing the weapon, his IQ goes up by 1-2 points, which is nice. From what I've gathered, that's the only way of increasing IQ apart from going for an IQ boost (which costs of lot), so it's pretty important for things to sometimes break. :P
But anyway. We've bought the Laser Cutter:

Hf0sV.jpg

It's devoid of energy though, and as you may remember there's an stash of energy cells nearby, so we climb the pipes to get there:

jKymX.jpg

Having grabbed the cells, we load them into the Laser Cutter. Voila, we have not only a new shield, but also a new weapon. We're armed and dangerous. Robots, beware!

At Tim's, we sell our old weapon, the Hand Blaster, for 35 credits:

hAgo3.jpg

Not much, but we don't need it anymore, so it's better than nothing.

Another public announcement informs us of a power interruption in the western zone of Metropolis:

OOIFb.jpg

It has nothing to do with our quest though, it's just there to add to the atmosphere of a bustling city.
Yet another one wants us to believe the robots are our friends:

LUlC6.jpg

Like fun they are!
We check in at the tracking office and go grind some, interrupted only by even more public announcements. It looks like the Tzorgs are triumphant throughout the galaxy...

aSM0q.jpg

...or at least that, again, is what they want us to believe. Bloody bastards.

As you know, last time we visited Sid we couldn't get the code for the transporters -- the teleporter thingies that let you quickly move around the city -- from him. The only reason we (well, I) failed was the totally confusing keyword system. So we go back to Sid:

Ih48a.jpg

I asked him for "code" and "transporters" last time, but what I should've asked about was "access". Complicated! Anyway, we now have the code: it's LETSGO! :P

The next NPC we come across is Elroy who tells us about a useful thing called a Transporter Guidance Device:

4aaYr.jpg

Device?

gq6ZX.jpg

It looks like we'll need the device in order to get through the secret tunnel leading to the Authority Complex, i.e., for the main quest. Also, apparently, we must go looking for it in a collapsed research lab. :? Hmmm. Duly noted.
Another NPC, Sybil, is standing right near Elroy, but she seems to be useless to us, at least for now:

ASEeM.jpg

So we move on.

Having grinded some more as well as discovered that the Univerisity is located in the southern zone of Metropolis, we buy a fake ZAC for that zone from Jeff:

cZUSK.jpg

Not sure why I'm buying all these ZACs, we could probably just pwn any robot coming our way, but well, we're not really strong ... yet.
Bee's inventory is limited to only 8 items, so I decide to make an improvised storage right near Jeff's -- it's going to be easy to get here whenever we need to fetch something, plus there's almost no one around. So we drop our Subway Token here:

OIfQO.jpg

So far, so good.

Close to the university there's, unsurprisingly, a University Bookstore:

G1LfC.jpg

Lisa is selling books here:

YpOGU.jpg

All those letters make your head hurt, sis? :P
Near the Bookstore is Gilbert's Electronics:

YvoQ1.jpg

When we approach him, Gilberts asks us if he can be of any assistance:

ONZQ2.jpg

Since this is Gilbert's electronics, we input "electronics".

Gilbert: You know! Tubes and regulators and stuff like that.

Uhm, tubes?

btQzj.jpg

You threw one out, eh? Meaning we'll need to find it among the trash, right? You know, the way it's usually done in adventure games. :roll:
And, uhm, regulators?

w23dN.jpg

As we saw in the previous update, Hugo's Store sells microstats. Good to know we can exchange one for a regulator here. :P Hopefully this info will come in handy. (SPOILER: It will. Soon.)

We break open Gilbert's backdoor (I love how NPCs don't care about you breaking and entering, truly a staple of the role-playing genre) and search around:

Tb43w.jpg

There's a Multiplier Tube here, thrown away by Gilbert yesterday. How ... predictable. :roll: Well, we don't need it right now, and our inventory's limited, so let's leave it be. We'll come back to fetch it later, when/if need be.

Kirby gives us another hint re: the trash:

b0o6i.jpg

But we've searched through the heap already, so meh, whatever.

City Maintenance Department is next door from Gilbert's:

F18dS.jpg

We meet Nancy here, and she's got a pretty important job:

u2cIO.jpg

In the back yard, Brian gives us yet another clue pointing us to the trash heap:

DC9Sd.jpg

So many obvious clues. :roll:
The next helpful NPC we meet is Naomi standing near the entrance to the southern subway station; she is indeed a helpful one:

lsui5.jpg

Help?

hiVHw.jpg

Like Elroy, Naomi also tells us about the Transporter Guidance Device. Tell us more, Naomi!

Naomi: Ask around at the University. They can help you.

Another trail leading to the University, yay!
At the Social Rehabilitation Center -- the jail --

Wbao8.jpg

-- we kill plenty of class two robots; all your credits are belong to us! :P

uHfOG.jpg

Pictured on the above screenshot is a robot called Follower (class 2) we've just destroyed.

At the City Sanitation Department, Beth's job is to register complaints:

RRh66.jpg

My, it must be hard for you! So what's those complaints about, Beth?

bWCRS.jpg

Fair enough! :roll:

We grind, grind a lot! Here's a screenshot depicting the results of my battle against three different kinds of robots -- a Checker (class 1), a Patroller (class 1), and a Guard (class 2) -- at once:

blz1L.jpg

The funny thing is, since the slidewalks are moving, if you destroy a robot when it's standing on a slidewalk it will naturally be carried away, so we have to run after it to strip it of credits! :P Fun!

Oh, and the Tzorg empire wants us!

1i0KS.jpg

:o No, thanks.
(Yeah, it's just another public announcement.)

Another new place is Moe's bar:

uktyp.jpg

When asked about the refrigerator, Moe says:

Moe: I need to have Hugo take a look at it.

Yup, Moe's there just to point us to Hugo in case we need something repaired.

Moe: He fixes things. He has a shop on the north slidewalk.

We know that already, Moe, you silly!
As we finally enter the southern zone of Metropolis...

d0Vgt.jpg

...we meet Rhonda:

PKUfX.jpg

Help us?

Rhonda: A field disperser is the best armor you can get.

The best armor? Sounds cool! But where can we get one?

Rhonda: Ask around at Megatech.

At Megatech, you say? It's in the northern part of town. (I've already been there but haven't yet covered that zone in this LP, leaving it for later. We'll be sure to return there to get that field disperser thingie.) Thanks, Rhonda!
At the nearby University Faculty, Cheryl works for Linda:

ZCDc8.jpg

Her research? Hmm. Let's go find Linda.

gTNl2.jpg

Linda is the third, after Elroy and Naomi, to tell us about the Transporter Guidance Device. She apparently used to work on one. But what is that device for, Linda, dear?

wUnAl.jpg

Oh cool, sounds essential for our mission. :salute:
At Alice's restaurant, Alice tells us she can get us anything we want:

7dQT2.jpg

Anything, really?

h2rQG.jpg

Oh. :roll:
Alice also informs us about weapons being sold in the underground, but we know about that already.

Maurice is into research:

LHfik.jpg

From him, we get another hint about the collapsed underground research lab. Nice. Since it's a university research lab, I assume it must be somewhere below the university area.
At the University Administration building we meet Bob:

Lma3M.jpg

He doesn't have any useful info to share... yet.
We also meet Fred who tells us about the fabled plasma rifle:

J4eZ7.jpg

Fred: I've found references to one having been around, but it broke. Ask Eggbert about it.

Looks like we're getting closer to finding the plasma rifle, yay! Let's find Eggbert.

w1hdN.jpg

Hi Eggbert, could you please tell us about the plasma rifle?

Eggbert: Oh yes... I think when it broke, the owner took it apart and sold the parts.

Sold the parts? :/

4RJCA.jpg

Oh well. Surely you've already guessed what all those electronic parts we've encountered in this update are for -- yup, for fixing the broken plasma rifle. Provided we find it, that is. :P
(Oh, and asking Jerrold is of no avail. He simply tells us that Larry and Gilbert are selling parts, nothing new to us.)

Jane gives us yet another trash pile hint:

IZUsM.jpg

Yeah, yeah, there's a tube in there required to fix the plasma rifle! I know!
Next we meet Richard, the one Pinkie -- the revolution leader -- told us to find:

VmQTJ.jpg

Richard tells us that once he and Bob saw a "strange device" in the research lab:

QFxxR.jpg

Apparently he mean the mysterious Transporter Guidance Device. Let's return to Bob and ask him about it!

ao5FS.jpg

Yay! Bob tells us we can get to the research lab through the subway! Finally a really useful clue!
:yeah:

In the main university building we meet Rudy...

LXgGY.jpg

...who kindly informs us about a room full of energy cells at a place called System Storage:

ESJFN.jpg

Another stash of energy cells, yay!

An announcement is heard:

req26.jpg

:o A defective robot!
Meh, who cares.
Also, subversive activities are on the rise:

GZa6p.jpg

I wonder if our Bee has anything to do with those. :roll:

Now, after some more grinding, off to Megatech we go! It's in the northern zone, so we buy a ZAC from Jeff.
Here's Megatech Building A:

8Omhu.jpg

There are buildings A to F here, as well as a City Water Works building. Ofelia is there, fixing leaks all day:

qYYUs.jpg

Poor thing. :/
At building B, Mickey is a machinist:

rqKUV.jpg

Your, uhm, mood?

Mickey: Right now, I'm angry with one of my customers. The guy really needs an IQ boost.

:roll: After that, Mickey tells us we can get our IQ boosted in the underground; bah, we know that from the very first update.
On the second floor, Oscar is filing blueprints:

kXvkx.jpg

He points us to the blueprint room, so there we go hoping to come across something useful!
Along the way we meet Sanford who tells us we need a scanner if we want to find our way around the big junkyard, the one with the tunnel leading into the Authority Complex:

F60Mp.jpg

And here we are in the blueprint room:

rsIih.jpg

X-TREME! :salute:
Searching around it, we find some blueprints -- when you first see them, they are identified as "Field Disperser" blueprints, but I wasn't quick enough to take a screenshot:

2tZRv.jpg

That means ... we can use them to build a field disperser, the best armor in this game!

But first we must find someone who can build it for us. :? Oh well. Things are never really simple.
Or are they?

kOxbX.jpg

We meet Jackie; Jackie mentions Les:

E0g10.jpg

Les?

Jackie: He's a wizard! Given the plans, he can build almost anything.

Build almost anything, you say? Hmm. I wonder if we should show him the blueprints... :M

In the street we stumble into Denise; he's looking for Verne:

1MNDi.jpg

Verne's a device dealer in the underground; we already met him. But why are you looking for him, Denise?

Denise: He sells time bombs.

And?

D8hLo.jpg

You're a true bro, Denise! :salute:
We also come across Robert, another guy Pinkie advised us to find, who tells us about the blueprint room:

o69zq.jpg

Meh, we've already found the blueprints. You're totally useless, Robert.

And finally, in Megaton Building F, we locate Les and show him the blueprints!

ONxWm.jpg

Les offers to build a field disperser for us ... for 3500 credits. Ouch, that's pricey.
Oh well, it's not like we've got a choice. We'll come back here once we have the money.

After another session of grinding, we enter the only yet unexplored area of Metropolis -- the western zone!
It's the Administration area, and there's ... a prisoner being held here, right before the entrance to the administration building:

0dGev.jpg

:rage:
Bloody robots! :angry:

We enter the administration:

KJXo2.jpg

In fact, we already explored this area in the first update. It is here that we exited the underground when getting out of prison.
The only area of the administration building that remains unexplored is the -1 level. We have to break open a door marked in red to get there:

0nWMr.jpg

Doors marked in red require 40 points of energy to be broken open, that's why we couldn't do it earlier.
Behind the door is a corridor leading to a transport tube to the 1st underground level:

epSmE.jpg

Another red-marked door. We break it open and find ourselves in a room with A LOT of shelves:

t2j2v.jpg

We cross the room and get to another tube, this time leading to level -2:

ugfAI.jpg

We take it:

5mzKF.jpg

On this level, we have to climb pipes to progress:

3yrhv.jpg

That done, we get to ... a terminal?

QLWDd.jpg

Let's interact with it. In this game you interact with a computer by talking to it:

qkp5R.jpg

An access code, hmm?
We know two codes. One was given to us by Ponzine, 0977; let's try it out:

os1Ia.jpg

Of course it didn't work. It was supposed to be a passcard code, after all.
Let's now try the access code for the terminals Jimmy shared with us: "ACCTRM followed by a the number of levels it is underground, minus two". This is level -2, so the code must be ACCTRM0. Let's see...

5QyCF.jpg

Yay, it worked! :salute:
Inquiry? :? Well, in the first update, Mark told us about "terminals that give deactivation codes for the robots; they're needed at the Control Console", so, uhm, let's input "deactivation"? ... Nope. Uhm, "codes"?

Ldpn4.jpg

We're given the "primary deactivation code", CHLOBU. Success!
Oh-kay, let us proceed. We enter the tube leading further down to level -3.

0izEr.jpg

Oh wow, a lot of slidewalks! This is a puzzle/labyrinth, it seems!
:incline:

Most of the slidewalks carry you back to the starting place, but after some trial and error plus some slidewalk hopping, Bee manages to get across:

mPrFa.jpg

BsyYN.jpg

Yay. Another terminal. Since this is the 3rd underground level, we enter ACCTRM1:

5ofBS.jpg

The terminal give us the "secondary deactivation code", PERABR. Kewl!
It may look like there's no further way, but in fact there is. It's a very simple puzzle. To proceed further we must CLIMB OVER the terminal and then the shelf. :P That done, we find ourselves in a corridor leading to a transporter:

QLuSS.jpg

We enter the transporter by pressing E and then input the code Sid gave us, LETSGO. We are then asked for the destination code... but I got dumb and couldn't think of anything, and so had to go back. It is in fact another easy puzzle, but well, even easy puzzles sometimes, well, puzzle me. :oops: You see, this is a secret underground transporter; the destination codes for the "normal" transporters are 00-04 -- they transport you to 5 different places across Metropolis. Isn't it kinda obvious that I should've tried 05-06 here, for this underground transporter? ... It certainly is, but I didn't. We'll come back here later, once I get that bright idea. :P

So yeah, we get back to the surface and grind some more. We also buy a passcard with 0977 from Jeff:

wn1GS.jpg

Just in case. Who knows when we're going to need it?

And here comes the most pleasant surprise. On our third or fourth visit to Wes -- the weapon dealer -- he says:

bx4Qb.jpg

Wes has a gift for us!! :P

mLWZA.jpg

It's a ... broken plasma rifle! I can't believe my eyes!

Yup, folks, I'm not sure if there's an alternative way to get a plasma rifle in this game, but that's how I got one!
It is, however, broken, and we can't fix it by ourselves:

wxVPd.jpg

I guess we'll need to ask Hugo to repair it. Still, we've got a plasma rifle, the most powerful weapon, folks! Bee surely has grown. :P Now we only need to get Les to build the field disperser for us (which is, as you remember, the most powerful armor), and Bee will be the most badass revolutionary in the galaxy! :salute:

MMXI

Arcane
Fuck yeah. You're now only a few hours from finishing this game. Now that your statistics are ultra high and you've almost reached the point where you have a working plasma rifle, you're a few seconds away from being unstoppable. You just need to buy a jet-pack to become the ultimate badass.

I actually quite like the way that there are multiple people giving out what is effectively the same clue. In the Ultima games from that period there was usually only a single person giving out a particular clue. This meant you had to talk to every single person multiple times while adding to and crossing off a list of things to say to people. This game gives you a little leeway. I don't know why you are rolling your eyes every time someone in the game gives you a clue to something you've already found. That's kind of the beauty of non-linear games. Another player may have found different NPCs useful as they may have traversed the world in the reverse order to you.

Anyway, this is most excellent and very near completion. More please!

Black Cat

Magister
This seems to be quite a cool game, and one I had never even heard of. I'll get up to speed with your adventures and follow what's left of them, given it seems you are already near the end.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 4: Things we need

In which we get a field disperser and a transporter guidance device.

So yeah, we got a broken plasma rifle, a 0977 passcard, as well as two deactivation codes. What else do we need if we are to make it into the Authority Complex and then to main console in order to disable it?

1. Obviously, we must fix the plasma rifle to be able to use it. For that, we must visit Hugo's.
2. Then we need to collect 3500 credits for Les so he could build a Field Disperser for us, which is the most powerful armor in this game. Without it, I don't think we stand a chance against higher-class robots. We also need it to bypass force fields, of which, I guess, there will be at least a few along the way.
3. We need to find out the third deactivation code; last time we couldn't get to the 4th underground level below the administration building because I couldn't guess the destination code for the transporter.
4. We need a Transporter Guidance Device. As told by Elroy, Naomi and Linda, it is needed to get through the tunnel leading to the Authority Complex. To get it, we must access the collapsed underground research laboratory through the subway.
5. Finally, we need to buy a Scanner so as not to get lost in the junkyard. This is the easiest part: Verne sells scanners in the underground for 300 credits each.

Hmm, yeah, I think that's that. Let us proceed. :P

What I forgot to mention so far is that destroying robots increases Bee's AGILITY, and running around like crazy increases ENERGY. Ah, the charm of improve-by-use systems...
But anyway. Let's head to Hugo's:

rZlGI.jpg

We approach Hugo and ask him to fix the plasma rifle for us. Things turn out to be not that simple, however:

UGnA6.jpg

We still need the parts: an energy regulator, a high voltage oscillator, and a multiplier tube.
As you may remember, Larry's Electronics sells HV oscillators:

Uph5e.jpg

They also sell microstats here that, as we found out in the previous update, can be exchanged for energy regulators at Gilbert's. So we buy both an HV oscillator and a microstat and then go to Gilbert's:

kJkUL.jpg

We now have a regulator, yay. The only thing that remains for us to get is a multiplier tube. And you know what? We saw one in the trash heap in Gilbert's back yard!

d2GIm.jpg

We grab the tube and now have everything it takes to fix the plasma rifle! :incline:
At Hugo's we're told it will cost us 550 credits to have the rifle repaired:

bMP6W.jpg

So we pay the sum and...

Hugo: It should work fine now.

...the plasma rifle is now working!

We load it up with energy from a nearby power node and then equip it. Now Bee can go totally x-treme. :P ... Well, almost. We need some powerful armor first, so let's kill some robots to save up 3500 credits for Les.

A public announcement is heard:

RzjYz.jpg

Soy!?
The robot rule truly is horrible!

And another announcement:

wq9E4.jpg

As you remember from the previous update, Leroy was on display inside the force field just outside the administration building. Funny thing is, every time this announcement is heard, there turns out to be someone else there on display, hence "the latest enemy of the state". Just a nice detail.

But anywayz. Notice the timer in the above screenshot? It shows 120 ticks lefts, meaning there's no way we can get to the tracking office in time. And you know what?

Excidium said:
...looks like a fun game except for that timer.

You know what? Screw the timer! :salute: Ignoring the timer means all robots will attack us, but Bee's now strong enough to simply kill any robot he meets in the street (there are no robots stronger than class 2 patrolling the streets). So yeah, let me reiterate: screw the timer and screw the tracking office!

Ksdzr.jpg

Now that we can ignore the timer, the game is considerably inclined. In fact, I think we could've ignored the timer even earlier, I just wanted to play it safe.

As we go about killing robots, the government announces it has done something horrible to 10 more citizens -- they are now ... rehabilitated! :o

qYWQL.jpg

This government certainly needs to be wiped out. :P
...whenever the Legislators endeavor to take away, and destroy the Property of the People, or to reduce them to Slavery under Arbitrary Power, they put themselves into a state of War with the People, who are thereupon absolved from any farther Obedience, and are left to the common Refuge, which God hath provided for all Men, against Force and Violence. Whensoever therefore the Legislative shall transgress this fundamental Rule of Society; and either by Ambition, Fear, Folly or Corruption, endeavor to grasp themselves, or put into the hands of any other an Absolute Power over the Lives, Liberties, and Estates of the People; By this breach of Trust they forfeit the Power, the People had put into their hands, for quite contrary ends, and it devolves to the People, who have a Right to resume their original Liberty.

So yeah, we finally manage to collect 3735 credits -- and off to Les we go!

gBJnp.jpg

Yup, we pay! And...

eXuGM.jpg

...receive a field disperser!

We've got the most powerful armor now. :love:
It is, however, different from the regular armor in that it uses energy and so must be charged at a power node. Which is what we do -- and then equip it. Here goes:

Z6UwB.jpg

Coolity cool. Naturally we go slay some more robots -- their attacks don't seem to affect us now!
:thumbsup:

I assume things will be different with higher-class robots, but those of classes 1 and 2 are of no harm to us now. Good.

Remember I told you different people -- different "enemies of the state" -- are held on display outside the administration building every time the announcement is heard? Last time it was Leroy, and now it's Tim:

RKhTw.jpg

Meaning we can't interact with him during this period. Nice touch.

Let's now get back to the transporter and get the last deactivation code:

CXDrT.jpg

LHFCx.jpg

Like I told you in the previous update, we'll be trying 05 and 06 as destination codes this time. 05 doesn't work...

06kIi.jpg

...but 06 does it:

uPkmo.jpg

Yay! :salute:

FF8JA.jpg

And we find ourselves on the 4th underground floor:

wh5E2.jpg

This is a really funny place -- it is a maze of, uhm, boxes. You must push them around so as to clear the way to the terminal. You can only push one box at a time, which means that if two or more boxes and standing in a row, you can't push them in that direction. Oh, and in the above screenshot I'm screwed, actually. Good thing the maze resets whenever we reenter the room. To get back to one floor up, we must enter 05 as the destination code for the transporter; easy.
Finally, after some trial and error, I find my away through the maze:

CjPLy.jpg

Xube4.jpg

7NEOD.jpg

Well, not quite. :P I make it to the window, but not to the door. Let's try a different way...

By8nc.jpg

8lWCc.jpg

Yay, we're almost there...

cNmou.jpg

We did it! Since this is level -4, we enter ACCTRM2 which grants us access to the terminal:

cVQYg.jpg

The third and, from what I've gathered, final deactivation code is EDDONE. Nice!

Okay, what now?
Well, let's go for the Transporter Guidance Device now. We know it is in a research lab that can be accessed via the subway system. Another thing we know is that it is a former university research lab, so it is probably somewhere in or near the southern area (in which the university is located). That's why I decide to check out the Southern Subway Station first.

Z02p0.jpg

From the platform we climb over to the central pipe. Where do we go now, east or west?
First we decide to head east.

U1u4n.jpg

Nothing here.

5QzR3.jpg

Hmmm, a dead end. Oh well. Let's now climb west.

SsTxp.jpg

Nothing here so far...

KpYSF.jpg

Yay, a door. It's marked in red, meaning normally we'd have to waste 40 points of energy on breaking it open.
BUT. We've got a plasma rifle now. Meaning we can BLAST THE BLOODY DOORS OPEN!!

9D97R.jpg

:salute: Totally kewl.
Entering the door we crawl down the corridor and reach some stairs:

W9sJw.jpg

We climb the stairs, blow another door open with our plasma rifle and...

CHVTq.jpg

...reach a series of force fields! :o
Well, what can I say? Good thing we're wearing the field disperser armor -- it lets us cross the fields unharmed. Whenever a field is crossed, the field disperser loses, at most, one point of energy (of which it has 99); no big deal.

rDw5o.jpg

There are four class 3 robots in here!:o My oh my.
Still, with the plasma rifle and the field disperser on we deal with them no probs.

kAIVW.jpg

We then proceed to charge our weapon and armor with the help of those two conveniently located power nodes -- and blast the next door open. It opens into a corridor with three more doors leading to three rather spacious rooms; we search through them and...

Xyh1E.jpg

...find the Transporter Guidance Device!

And then we return to the surface.

yv8RY.jpg

Tell you what, folks? We've now got: the plasma rifle, the passcard, the deactivation codes, the field disperser, AND the transporter guidance device.

Bye-bye, evil robots. :P

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I definitely should play this next.
Is this attention enough, oh Great Bee? M:

lightbane

Arcane
No wonder that the rebellion is succesful, these robots seem to be retarded, they couldn't even implant spies or something. Anyways, looking forward to the end of this lp.

PS: I think it's a bit of :decline: that you don't have the option of betraying the humies and eventually embrace their robotic overlords.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 5: A full-on assault

In which we do it the straightforward way.

Last time we saw our dear Bee, he had almost everything he needed to make it into the Authority Complex. The only things left to acquire are a Scanner and a Jet pack (well, MMXI told me about needing a jet pack, which was kind of spoilerish to say on his part, as I didn't know I'd need one ;)). There are, however, two ways to proceed. The first way -- the way it is supposed to be done -- is to follow the main quest, get into the junkyard tunnel and find the secret entrance into the Authority Complex; the second way is to launch a full-on frontal assault on the Complex, entering it through the front door.

Guess what we're gonna be doing in this update? :P

w60pT.jpg

Yup, a frontal assault it is!

Also, I'll pretend I didn't hear MMXI's advice and so WON'T be taking a jet pack with me in here -- 'coz I didn't know I should take one with me and so would've most probaby entered the Authority Complex without one. So yeah.
With the field disperser equipped, we easily pass through the force field north of the entrance, kill a lone robot patrolling the corridor, and recharge our weapon at the nearby power node:

6QJof.jpg

Then we go east and turn south, crossing another force field:

4cS3h.jpg

We kill another robot -- a class 3 Cyborg -- and blast the next door open:

bQDbN.jpg

Two Viewers (class 3) are in there; we dispatch them easily:

KTr8k.jpg

Going through the force field to the north we destroy a Looker (class 2)...

4rgvK.jpg

...and then head east and south, facing two Seekers (class 2); no probs here as well:

wVHBX.jpg

We blow another door open with our plasma rifle and come face to face with two stationary robots -- two Tanks (class 4!):

xrYYZ.jpg

These are the first class 4 robot we've met, and their attacks really do some damage. We use on of them as a cover, so that the stupid second Tank attacks his brethren instead of us. :P Naturally, we destroy them both, then go through the force field and enter the tube leading to the 2nd floor:

ZjHWH.jpg

We're greeted by five robots attacking us at once -- three Cyborgs, a Viewer, and a Scanner (class 3); and then there were none:

n1WN9.jpg

Conveniently enough, there's a lot of power nodes along the way -- placed so that the robots could recover energy -- meaning we can recharge our plasma rifle and field disperser without thinking too much about running out of energy cells.

We first go east and north from here...

kEgd6.jpg

...but end up in a dead end and turn back. This time we head west.
This is a tricky area -- a series of forced fields patrolled by many class 4 robots called Protectors:

JPp1q.jpg

Given that the robots can't hit us from behind a force field, we slowly kill 'em one by one -- the Protectors require many hits to be killed, have very high agility so we miss often, and their attacks harm us for 3 hp every time they hit us -- using a dead Protector as a cover when required.

93469.jpg

Lots of them! Notice that our HP is only 42 now; those robots hit hard!
The DosBox also lags quite a bit in this area, probably having troubles processing the force field and robot flicker animation. :lol: But finally the Protectors -- as well as a Cyborg and two Viewers who were waiting for us behind the force fields -- are all destroyed. Good riddance.

Slaying another Looker along the way we go north and reach the next tube:

RweiW.jpg

Up to level 3 we go!
A Guard (class 2) assaults us here; easy peasy:

hBK1x.jpg

As well as three Sentry robots; class 1 lol:

1XZ3V.jpg

There's a slidewalk in here, but it's moving in our direction so we can't enter it:

Mmi4h.jpg

And behind it is a ladder. Hmm. I feel butthurt incoming... :P
For now, however, everything seems to be fine. We go west and north and reach the next tube, ready to take us to level 4 of the Authority Complex:

nj6bD.jpg

A Follower aka "evil eye" meets us on level 4, poor fellow; we dispatch him:

B7a6r.jpg

There's a room with a bed and a TV set in here; I guess even robots love themselves a good sitcom:

3AmYx.jpg

Oh yeah, and there are many class 1 Mechs on this level but they are service, not battle robots; they try running away from us, but we kill 'em all.
And the next tube...

FDBwA.jpg

...takes us up to level 5:

zfn3E.jpg

Oops, more class 4 robots. :o

TpV6w.jpg

Quite a lot in fact! It's not just class 4 Protectors, but also class 3 Scanners. Soon, however, they stand disabled.

There is a problem however. The door on level 5, one we must go through to proceed further, is blocked by a pile of trash! I forgot to take a screenshot 'cause I'm silly; I'll show you this place in a couple of moments from the other side -- but yeah, looks like all our effort in getting to level 5 have been in vain! And all because of the trash blocking the goddamn door!
Trash, why are you blocking the path!?
:x

Oh well. There is, however, a solution. But -- yeah, you've guessed it -- we have to buy a Jet pack first. :P
So we exit the Authority Center and go to Jetway:

vSmxy.jpg

We buy a Jet pack for 1000 credits and reenter the Authority Complex.
Oh my, all the robots are recharged and back in action already!
:decline:

So we have to fight through them again up until we get to level 3.

WLhoS.jpg

Why level 3? Why, definitely because there's a slidewalk here -- the one behind which there's a ladder:

ijrpv.jpg

We can't walk to the other end of this slidewalk, but we can sure as hell fly there! :P So we activate the Jet pack. Be sure to notice the two small rockets next to Bee in the above screenshots! :P Fun!

mehwB.jpg

And here we are on the other end. Success!
We climb the ladder.

p6NWn.jpg

We are on level 4, in a small room with another ladder leading up to level 5. We climb it.

oky4Q.jpg

Hooray! And this, my dear readers, is precisely that bloody pile of trash that prevented us from reaching this corridor from level 5 and made us go buy a Jet pack. Oh well. At least we're here now.
We go through the force fields to the north and...

Q7IWt.jpg

...reach the bloody Main Console!

QmKbH.jpg

Mission accomplished? ...

Nope. In the next update we'll be reaching the console properly, i.e., the hard way! :P So stay tuned!

Oh, and
lightbane said:
PS: I think it's a bit of :decline: that you don't have the option of betraying the humies and eventually embrace their robotic overlords.
I like your attitude, bro lightbane! :P This ain't that kind of game though.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 6: Fireworks

In which we do it the hard way, solve a few devious puzzles, reach the main console, and deactivate the robots!

Let's now try entering the Authority Complex the hard way -- that is, according to the clues we've collected during the main quest -- through the tunnel located somewhere in the junkyard. Going a bit ahead of myself, I should note I find it pretty funny that, at least to me, doing it all the mindless way -- simply by frontally assaulting the Authority Complex -- was, like, two times easier than beating the game properly. Shouldn't it be the other way round? :?

Anywayz. I reload a savegame -- and the first thing I do is buy a jet pack. Why? I dunno, I just don't feel like going back all the way again for a jet pack in case we need one. (Still, I will have to go back though once I hit a nasty bug; but more on that later.)
So ... let's check Bee's equipment:

RTSTa.jpg

Looks like almost everything is in place: the transporter guidance device, the jet pack, the passcard, the field disperser, and the plasma rifle. Now we only need to buy a Scanner -- and for that, let's head underground!

4H7p5.jpg

Nguyen sells Scanners for 300 credits a piece; we buy one. Let's see how it works...

yJrGr.jpg

Hmm, neat: a partial automap of the area is displayed. Now I see why it may be useful in getting through the junkyard maze.
The junkyard is in the northern zone of Metropolis:

5d7xA.jpg

We enter it and consult the scanner:

ab2vq.jpg

(Bee is depicted as a green dot on the automap.)
You can see some labyrinthine passages on the scanner map, I guess we're supposed to navigate them.

nMgGV.jpg

As we explore the junkyard we kill some guardian robots -- those are Seekers (class 2).
We check the scanner -- and the way becomes clear to us:

mWxlv.jpg

Well, not really, as we don't know exactly where the objective is. Whatever.
As we continue navigating the junkyard, the path becomes narrow and less distinguishable:

a2Kl8.jpg

Navigatable squares are a bit lighter, and non-nagivatable, darker. Can get a big confusing, with a color palette like this.
But finally we reach some stairs:

aP7PV.jpg

Yay! :salute: I guess that's where we're supposed to enter the tunnel.
And indeed, as we climb down the stairs, we find ourselves underground:

9ZoQV.jpg

Getting out of the trash pile beneath the stairs -- I wonder if Bee smells funny now -- we make it to a corridor with some pipes and boxes around.
A door marked in red gets in our way -- we blow it open...

g3Bye.jpg

...and find ourselves in an area with a lot of transporters:

OyNe3.jpg

ucFcJ.jpg

rgipO.jpg

Etc.
This must be some kind of transporter puzzle. Weeell... Let's start with the first transporter. Given that we've talked to pretty much each and every NPC in this city, we probably have the required codes already. Let me just check the NPC list... (You can find it at the end of update #2 in case you want to look at all the NPCs I was able to find; the list is totally up-to-date.) ... Hmm, how 'bout this one?

Crooked Bee said:
Don knows the sequence; "the one for the first tunnel transporter is '18,09,12,15'".

Plus, as we know from Sid, the general access code for transporters is LETSGO. So we enter the first transporter...

kcKk6.jpg

...and then input "18" as the destination code:

gTOTZ.jpg

Yay! It works! (If you input a wrong code, it says "destination code invalid", so there can be no mistake about "18" being the correct one.)
And we get transported...

QyroU.jpg

...to a room with another transporter!

NvwUT.jpg

We enter "09" here -- and find ourselves in yet another room with a transporter, in which we enter "12", etc., and then finally "15":

cLr3B.jpg

We are transported to one more small room, this time one with a ladder:

QUFT9.jpg

Nice. Climbing the ladder, we get to...

4nRFy.jpg

...a slidewalk maze! Another one! :incline: I love these things.
This is in fact the binary maze Horace told us about:

Crooked Bee said:
Horace: when asked about the "code" (for the "binary maze"), says the code is DDDUD.

You see, each square section has two slidewalks to enter, an upper (=U) and a lower one (=D). The correct sequence, according to Horace, is DDDUD, so we must take the slidewalks in that particular order. Easy and obvious? ... Well, not exactly. Truth be told, I didn't recognize this maze as the binary one on my first, nor my second, try. :P

The scanner is, by the way, of no use here:

gVbge.jpg

It gives you an overview of the maze, but no sense of the directions slidewalks are moving in.
And here's what happens if you choose a wrong way through the maze -- like I did at first:

IhHmX.jpg

The slidewalk takes you...

3IkPl.jpg

...slowly and inevitably...

fpN4h.jpg

...to a tube...

Xdsz2.jpg

...that transports you to...

KtMy0.jpg

...the ground floor of the Authority Complex!

On my third try I do, however, finally "get" the maze and take the correct path. First the lower teleporter (=D):

ygQto.jpg

Then the lower one again:

dXvoy.jpg

And again:

7RAUK.jpg

Then the upper one:

K5mnV.jpg

And finally the lower one again:

oy4Ft.jpg

That done, we arrive to...

fqA5T.jpg

...another puzzle room!

Well, it's too early to be celebrating, in fact. Why? Because I seem to have hit a nasty bug. :/ You see, to solve this puzzle, we need the Transporter Guidance Device. And we had one in the beginning in this update, as you can see for yourself. However, somewhere along our way through the junkyard, the Guidance Device mysteriously disappeared from our inventory! :o I think that had something to do with using the scanner, but I'm not sure. One thing I am sure about is that I didn't drop the device though -- it just disappeared.
Too bad I didn't notice that earlier. Now I have to reload a save and get through the tunnel ... again. :/ Oh well.

/* Some time later. */

Welcome back, dear audience, to the underground tunnel leading, presumably, to the Authority Complex! So here we are, in the room with four transporters again -- this time with the Transporter Guidance Device, yay!

c4xft.jpg

:incline:

So yeah. If we enter any of the four transporters without carrying the Guidance Device, it will simply transport us to another of these very four transporters, i.e., across the room. Remember what NPCs told us about the Guidance Device earlier? Let me remind you.

Elroy tells us about a "Transporter Guidance Device" located in a "collapsed" University lab and needed "in a particularly puzzling section of the tunnel entrance", i.e., in the tunnel leading to the Authority complex.
Holly tells us a guidance device is required for "a transporter beneath the junkyard"; "using a guidance device in th' transporter lets ya get t' sections ya couldn't ordinarily get to".
Linda: when asked about "research", tells us she was working on a Transporter Guidance Device; "it would allow people to get into the Authority Complex; the person carrying it can use any of the four 'funny' transporters to get to the fifth".

The clue we got from Linda is definitely the most important one: it is only by carrying the Guidance Device that we can get transported not simply to another of the four transporters inside this room, but rather outside it, to the fifth transporter you can see in the lower part of the screenshot.
So we enter one of the transporters carrying the Guidance Device and...

0fAv5.jpg

c6WBx.jpg

...get transported to the southern corridor (and slay a robot patrolling it)!

We are now in a large section of the underground, with a lot of machines around:

tDwmB.jpg

CLBbN.jpg

Finally we make it to a red-marked door:

w0U4O.jpg

Once we blast it open, we are attacked by two Seeker robots:

TTUro.jpg

Easy.
Two more doors blown open --

Ms3nt.jpg

-- we find ourselves warmly welcomed by six class 4 Protector robots! :o Nasty.
They are soon all disabled though:

IsNDc.jpg

That has been a tough battle, however, much tougher than anything I experienced when frontally assaulting the Authority Complex in the previous update. Oh the irony.

Exploring this area further...

vki6K.jpg

...we have to fight four more class 4 robots. To think that this is supposed to be, like, a secret non-problematic tunnel into the Authority Complex. :roll: Or maybe Pinkie, the revolution leader, just wanted Bee dead? :? That would make sense, I guess, since Bee's definitely seizing all the power for himself after defeating the robot army. :P

Then I got lost for quite some time because the devs played another nasty trick on poor me -- they hid the next section of the tunnel behind one of the shelves, of which there are many too many here:

tsJVE.jpg

Brilliant. :roll:
And finally we reach a ladder...

wybYG.jpg

...that leads us to another ladder...

CrFUr.jpg

...and another one...

6V4LM.jpg

...one more time baby...

S9NX0.jpg

...and it looks like we are indeed inside the Authority Complex. :salute:

cQH75.jpg

Yup, here's the slidewalk where we used the Jet pack in the previous update. (As you can see, we didn't at all need the Jet pack on our way through the tunnel. :P)
Two more ladders later, we finally make it to level 5:

4FUGm.jpg

Looks familiar, doesn't it? :smug:

Yup, dear readers, THE END IS NIGH

v8YAN.jpg

WE APPROACH THE CONSOLE

w8eDB.jpg

It says we need the "deactivization codes" -- luckily we have them

MEK3u.jpg

DO NOT MAKE ANY MISTAKES :twisted:
(Wanna know what hapens if you make a mistake? Easy: you instantly end up in jail. :P)

uvBUB.jpg

The first code is CHLOBU

9TkCv.jpg

The second code is PERABR

dDc1B.jpg

And the third code is EDDONE. All the codes are now entered correctly!
An alert is heard:

ToCFQ.jpg

Malfunction, yay!

fG7mx.jpg

The robots are ... melting?

dN9Gb.jpg

"Immelt" = "I melt?"

PYg98.jpg

Pure gibberish!

pYPe0.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!

4jkQB.jpg

Heroic efforts! :P

YIMBR.jpg

Free! OR ARE THEY? :twisted:

Ndtvy.jpg

:o

BpQk3.jpg

A cliffhanger, yay! (There was supposed to be a sequel, 2500 A.D., but it got canned, alas. :/)

wpxFh.jpg

We have. :salute:

1Hx8d.jpg

We'll be sure to!

yXaiH.jpg

Nice, I definitely should make some suggestions!

RJhOV.jpg

42XHD.jpg

AND HERE IT COMES FOLKS -- THE ENDING CUTSCENE!!

6OVLP.jpg

0xPDs.jpg

zGaNr.jpg

FIREWORKS!!

We've beaten this funny little game, dear readers. Thank you for your attention -- and your comments! :P They're much appreciated. 'Til next time!

lightbane

Arcane
Pussycat669 said:

Congrats, Bee! Another lp done!!

Too bad that these developers were unable to predict the Decline...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom