Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA]Wulfen's Chronicles

Kz3r0

Arcane
Pride and Loyalty.

More than a third of the Commanders already voted, in a time that seemed infinite to almost everyone in the room, except for one person, that calmly observed the proceedings.

Georian Sthar was completely unaware of the tempestuous wind shaking the earths and minds inside the room.

After the loss of his family he developed an unwavering attachment to the Green Company that was well beyond loyalty and this conditioned his attitude and behavior during the vote.

For a sense of opportunity he abstained to intervene, openly questioning Chas' position would have been not only disrespectful, but akin to begging in his eyes, considering his personal involvement.

Better entrust this to the free choice of the Commanders, something in which he firmly believed, for him that reunion wasn't a mere formality but a consultation among peers that should have not be swayed by a clash of personalities.

Was his conviction that the best military decision aren't based on personal considerations.
If the Commanders would have objected to Chas' plan he would have gladly presented his alternatives, because that would have been a common decision based on military insight he thought, instead of some kind of popularity contest, Representativity style.

He was an honest man and not an hypocrite, this much is certain.
So probably he considered his refusal to be Field Commander only a question of opportunity due to his perplexity about the plan instead of a decision motivated by pride.

Nonetheless was this refusal that acted as a wedge in the Commanders' assembly, creating an invisible fracture, with unfathomable consequences.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After this there will be the last addendum, where we will have the opinion of the man himself.
And by Saturday or Sunday expect the second chapter. :M

Kz3r0

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Alright, B it is, then!
Thanks for your concern. :love:

But fear not, I won't let lack of votes stop me. :M

A little remark, in case someone was wondering, all three option have their, heavy, C&C, there's not a neutral one.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I forgot, this is, very probably, the final count:
1A,3B,1C.

B wins.

All right I will consider the vote closed.

The second chapter will be ready for Friday night I think.
If someone else want to vote in the meanwhile I will consider it only if there will be at least other two, for a total of additional three votes, whatever they will be.
Very doubtful, I know. :M

Kz3r0

Arcane
Unlikely Guests.

Lupus Wulfen thought that he had enough of that.
"As one of the accepted Commanders of the Green Company, a peer among my peers, I ask to make a declaration to this free assembly."

Suddenly hearing the traditional formula had the effect of an electric discharge on the emerald crowd.

Marshall Chas looked for a moment in Wulfen's direction trying to figure out his intentions.

"Your declaration will be freely accepted as freely will be expressed Commander Wulfen."
Answered Karl Chas using the traditional formula too.

"Stop dragging your feet."
Said Wulfen addressing the other Commanders.

"Our Battle Marshall has presented his plan, if,as Commanders, you don't have anything better to suggest, it's your duty as soldiers to prepare for the incoming battle."

"This is not the time for second thoughts, as far I am concerned I have only one thing to say."
Here Lupus faced Karl Chas directly, ostensibly saluting the Marshall he said:
"The Wulfen Militia entrust Commander Karl Chas as its Battle Marshall."

And after expressing his vote:
"Commander Wulfen reporting for duty sir."

"Present and ready" shouted, completing the traditional formula for formal declarations during War Councils.

This seemed to galvanize the others , that slowly, but steadily, began to come to the forefront, all repeating the traditional formula while expressing their vote in favor of Karl Chas.

In few minutes the various voices surmounted each other becoming one single roar.

"Green company reporting for duty sir."

"Present and Ready."

A new confidence animated Karl Chas.
He was sure that a major crisis had been averted thanks to Wulfen's intervention, for now, at least.

"The vote is closed, with the confirmation of the current Battle Marshall and the approval of the war strategy by he proposed."

"Every Commander please consult your reference Officer for more specific orders and concord the details."

"You have a day in doing so before returning to your sectors for the necessary preparations."

"This war council is officially concluded."

The Marshall said this last words with a sense of relief, now that the gears of wars had been set in motion everyone would have been occupied with other things than infighting, hopefully, the Green Company was composed by soldiers after all.

With the conclusion of the vote he thought that was now possible relax a bit, but a new happening came to perturb the assembly.

One of the base's officials entered the room presenting a letter with the Representativity logo on it.

Chas opened it and rapidly read its content, then he nodded to the official sending him away.

"As you know Gentlemen, we have a resident delegation of the Representativity in this base, now, for the first time, they decided to use one of the privilege that were granted to them when the Representativity was first established."

"Please, welcome counselor Arbhert and the chief delegation Mudhor, and their secretaries, as external observers of the proceedings of this assembly."

The announcement was encountered more with incredulity than anything else, until now that privilege was never invoked, mostly due to its ceremonial nature.

They regularly sent recommendations or suggestions to the Directorate or to the Marshall's office usually with little success.

In case of a War council, as this one, they should await the end of the military consultations for getting an audience, as in
this case, and were only allowed to present some general request that was completely up
to the assembly to accept, and even in that case there was no obligation for the Green Company to comply.

Counselor Arbhert confidently entered the room followed by his staff, all dressed in dark blue suits except for the sleeveless, knee-long, white garment wore by the counselor to indicate his status, with the golden insignia of the Representativity on the left breast.

Aware of the stupefaction of the Commanders he calmly looked at the reunion as to assess the situation.

What he saw were confident soldiers with a confident leader.

"The Representativity, while regretting that a pacific solution couldn't be achieved,desire to express its full support to the
heroic effort of the Green Company.
And respectfully request for the establishment of a conjoined presidium where the fringe sector borders the central sectors for contributing to the safety of the Federal Commonwealth in this campaign."

Karl Chas was in awe at the sight of such impudence, he openly acknowledged that they wanted to reach a deal with the enemy while at the same time asking for an expansion of the Representativity military facilities.

And one conveniently located in a very strategic position for controlling the central sectors too.

Surely the main reason for the request, thought the Marshall, considering that almost no danger ever came from there.

But maybe that was the cunning part, asking for a zone with low military activity would have encountered less resistance than asking for a zone with a well established presence of the Green Company, something that could have been seen as a challenge to the role of the Company.

A sneaky serpent this counselor, and an ambitious one at that, Thought Chas.

"I wonder what he would have said and with what tone if the commanders didn't offered a united front as they did."
This was a very unpleasant consideration on the Marshall's part.

"I see,we are witnessing the escalation of the power struggle between the Directorate and the Representativity."
A bitter smile accompanied this silent realization.

"The Green Company gladly welcomes the support of the Representativity."
Said diplomatically Karl Chas.

"But as Battle Marshall I can't abstain to express my perplexity over the insistence of Counselor Arbhert in promoting a peace
deal with the Jehnizars, which brutality it's well known by the Representativity."

This blunt statement clearly surprised the counselor, but, as the seasoned politician that he was, quickly regained his composure.

"Our only concern is the the well being of the Federal Commonwealth."
Promptly answered the counselor.

"It's not the first time that we allied with our enemies, humans or otherwise, if circumstances demanded for it."
This was clearly a dig to the Past of the Green Company.

"For now we only encountered enemies using a technology equal or inferior to ours, mostly due to the globular cluster we reside in, that easily allows space travel."
Continued the counselor.

"But what if we encounter an intergalactic civilization with a far superior technology?"
Rhetorically asked.

"It's my opinion that it's better to try to reach a compromise with all the civilizations around us, to become stronger and to have better opportunities at retrieving and studying those xeno-artifacts that so many improvements brought to us, but that are also an ominous reminder of what we could face some day."

The Marshall hoped to dig out the serpent out of his hole but realized that continuing that conversation would have only permitted the diffusion of its poison instead.

"Your concerns are being duly noted, I can assure you that the Green Company will not underestimate any present or future menace that could face it."

"About the request for a presidium, as much we appreciate the support of the Representativity, is opinion of this assembly that ,for now, is unnecessary in this campaign."

The Counselor realized that that was a dismissal and decided that was better to leave after presenting his homages once again.

Lupus Wulfen found that interlude amusing, he never saw before a politician with such a strong will, and ruthlessness, not that your average politician is not ruthless, but they usually lacked the backbone for acting accordingly preferring subterfuges, but this Arbhert used them only as a tactic of convenience.

Wulfen had no doubts that if the occasion arose the Counselor would have not hesitate to use more direct means, or enter the fight personally if needed.

Well time to attend business, too much time has been already wasted, thought Wulfen.

Having the liberty to associate with the commander he desired ,and relative battle group, he began to ponder which one would have been better for his militia.

A)Zhenar Xhan, not very fond of the guy, but it's where the action will be more intense, and the rapid astrocrafts of the Wulfen militia seems the perfect support for the new Battle Cruisers.

B)Norian Dhen, an old veteran, associating with him also means fighting alongside Georian Sthar, a honor, and considering that they will sustain the full brunt of the initial attack they will probably need all the support they can get.

C)Velhar "The Raven" Kraszyek, this guy has the 'right' ideas, and velocity is the weak point of his battle group, even if his position is mostly defensive it's also the place from which unsavory surprises can come.

D)George Gragg, not much action here, but Wulfen felt a sort of affinity with the half savage half civilized attitude of the outer sectors.

You can also add an extra option to your vote.
XXX)After attending his military duties Wulfen could chill out a bit in a nearby town, drinking and trying to get himself a nice piece of ass.
This is mostly to adhere to the true Biowhore spirit, if gets more than half of all votes there will be an extra update with Wulfen adventures in the city.
Let me know what you think of it, I can always remove it completely.
:M

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm voting A for now.

If the guy is smart, he'll listen to helpful suggestions given by Wulfen, a seasoned veteran. If not, then Wulfen's Militia can at least fight hard and lessen any losses to the new astrocrafts. If by some miracle, Xhan turns out to be pretty good at this 'commanding' thing, Wulfen can share in the glory.

Kz3r0

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
I'm voting A for now.

If the guy is smart, he'll listen to helpful suggestions given by Wulfen, a seasoned veteran. If not, then Wulfen's Militia can at least fight hard and lessen any losses to the new astrocrafts. If by some miracle, Xhan turns out to be pretty good at this 'commanding' thing, Wulfen can share in the glory.

Here a little addendum on him.

Cold Warrior

Zhenar Xhan was calm and precise as always while consigning the battle maps, with the relative orders, to the Commanders already assigned to his group.

For now he didn't receive any request from the independent militias, a bit worrisome, even if expected.
He would have liked at least to have some more light astrocraft, and their speed, on his side.
Just to avoid any possible lacuna in his strategy.

But what worried him more was the 'political' aspect of the question.
The help of militias outside the sectors of competence was generally voluntary, co-opting them was acceptable only in the most extraordinary of the circumstances, and even so it usually caused hostility more than once.

That's why he didn't make any request for an additional militia beyond the ones already under his command, such a thing would have surely alienated the already scarce sympathies of the Commanders.

Especially considering that he was the first to fashion his troops as a proper army, and the first thing he did to achieve this was to attain operative autonomy by being completely auto-sufficient, military wise.

This wasn't well received inside the Green Company, that was heavily based on the collaboration of the various groups, and his close relationship with the Representativity made things worse.

But in the end all the commanders begrudgingly acknowledged his tactical mastery, and the courage that accompanied it.

More than once his militia was crucial in winning a battle, and in many cases other militias were saved by the strong support his astrocrafts could gave thanks to how they were organized.

He lacked the passion of other Commanders, but his cold resolve was much more frightening for many.

This efficiency caused concerns in some sector, they were seeing the constitution of what they always dreaded, a permanent army dependent from a central authority, without the checks and balances that militias had inside the Directorate.

Zhenar Xhan, however, always maintained a low profile, fully supporting the role of the Green Company as the main military force of the Commonwealth.

For him war was only a way to achieve peace.
In his eyes the Green Company was crucial in maintaining the balance of power among the various sectors, and doing so fostering a more close cooperation between them.

He strongly believed that the representativity was the natural evolution of this process.

Kz3r0

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Thank you.:salute:
I was waiting for Grotsnick's vote before posting the new update.
In any case I will post the new chapter tonight.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Stick to your guns

Norian Dhen and Georian Sthar were discussing the last details of their strategy.
The affinity between them made easy to agree about almost everything.

"So I will wait behind the System's sun.That should be enough to avoid detection until the attack."
Said Dhen.

"My militia's astrocrafts instead will be scattered all around Karhyen ready to converge on the enemy at your signal."
Responded Sthar.

"In this case the honor of the first strike will be yours, as should be."
A mutual understanding passed among the two men, the shared memory of countless battles made any other word for express their feelings useless.

"I will immediately intervene with my Assaulters after you will have launched the first attack, while the Battlecruisers not involved in the incursion in the Theresian Quadrant will provide backup support."

"What preoccupies me is the number of light astrocrafts at our disposal Norian, while we have enough heavy and medium astrocrafts to deal in case with 'vultures' and 'condors', if they will use the usual tactic to swarm the base with 'hawks' that will become a one on one fight."
"And we can't exclude the they will use assault troops on the ground either."

"That seems unlikely Georian, why they should do it?"

"I they really want to force us to make a deal, and not only achieve a military victory, occupying the planet and taking control of our base would force us to decide if accept their proposal or wipe out the entire place, and that not only would be unacceptable but will deprive us of a strategic outpost."

"I this case we will need the support of a militia equipped with very quick astrocrafts and used to close quarter combat.
Not many out there."
Commented Dhen.

Lupus Wulfen approached the two.
"Commanders."
Said while saluting them.

"Commander Wulfen."
They answered while reciprocating the salute.

"We were discussing right now that a militia like yours could be very helpful in the incoming battle at Karhyen."
"Are you interested in join us?"
Asked directly Norian Dhen.

"It will be an honor to fight alongside two veteran Commanders such as you."
Answered Wulfen with a smile.

"In this case I would like to have you as my support during the attack."
Intervened Shtar.
"Having two strike groups that can operate independently, but in a coordinate manner, is ideal for this kind of situation, of which you seems to have quite an experience Commander Wulfen, if I am not wrong."

"That's my opinion too, and yes, I have quite an experience in this."

"Perfect."
Exclaimed Norian Dhen.
"In this case I leave to you two the operative details."
"A last thing commander Wulfen what are your armaments?"

This strange question was due to the fact that the majority of the militias used the weaponry and astrocrafts available in their sectors, especially at the beginning, and even if now some kind of standardization had been achieved were still wild differences in armament.
Without mentioning the fact that many Commanders preferred to not disclose their special weapons to maintain their edge, heritage of ancient diffidences and the mercenary nature of some of them.

"All my astrocrafts are equipped with a special kind of multiphase pulse cannons that can penetrate many types of armory and wave torpedoes."

Pulse cannons were the most common weapon on astrocrafts, they produced a concentrated electromagnetic impulse that exploded on impact, many type of defenses had been developed against them, the multi-phase type was developed in response to these defenses.
The ones used by Wulfen created concentrated impulses comprised of different wavelengths hold together by a muonic outer shell, even the heaviest armor could be pentrated in this way.

Wave torpedoes instead created a very concentrated shock-wave on impact, ideal against medium class astrocrafts, their strong point was that even heavy armor couldn't completely disperse the generated shock-waves.

"A good equipment, but in case you desire to have some more options let us know if you want to install some new weapons of the ones at our disposal."
Offered Norian Dhen.

The battle is about to begin these are the weapon you can choose to install on your astrocrafts before reaching Karhyen.

A)Electroplasma bombs, develop high temperature plasma when exploding, releasing an electronic tempest that can incapacitate the instruments of astrocrafts without enough protection against EM disruption.

B)Nuclear torpedoes, ideal against the heavier astrocrafts, needs many however for destroying a Battlecruiser.

C)Hyper-velocity guns, they accelerate little amounts of atomic matter for the purpose of hitting the target, a poor version of a particle disruptor.
Ideal for light astrocrafts.

D)Wulfen has collected, with very questionable means sometimes, five Nutron bombs, a special neutron bomb that causes a fusion reactions on the target, the extension of the reaction depends on the type of materials involved and other circumstances.
One can take out a Battlecruiser on its own.
This is your secret weapon.

oscar

Arcane
"What preoccupies me is the number of light astrocrafts at our disposal Norian, while we have enough heavy and medium astrocrafts to deal in case with 'vultures' and 'condors', if they will use the usual tactic to swarm the base with 'hawks' that will become a one on one fight."

If I've deciphered that paragraph correctly it seems hordes of small ships is more likely than going toe to toe with capital ships. Though the EP bomb sounds useful for most situations. Hmmmmm.

Will we get a chance to refit shortly after the battle? Do we have the capability to make more neutron bombs?

Right now I'm thinking C.

Kz3r0

Arcane
oscar said:

If I've deciphered that paragraph correctly it seems hordes of small ships is more likely than going toe to toe with capital ships. Though the EP bomb sounds useful for most situations. Hmmmmm.

Will we get a chance to refit shortly after the battle? Do we have the capability to make more neutron bombs?

Right now I'm thinking C.

Addendum time:
A Commander' secrets

Wulfen was pondering if was the case of ordering his militia to load on the ships the Nutron bombs.
They would have been quite useful in confronting very heavy astrocrafts or for attacking a planet, something more likely to occur if he would have joined Zhenar Xhan.

But there was always the possibility to receive a request of support by his group during the battle, something to consider.

They surely could gave an hedge against possible surprises, but at the expenses of more useful weapons for the kind of battle lying ahead.

But without them Wulfen and the others could only rely on the Battlecruisers' support against the heavier astrocrafts.
Not that Lupus didn't already fought Battlecruisers in the past using regular weapons, but only one at the time.

Not an easy choice, indeed.

Even if the real problem was more a question of opportunity that of strategy.

Nutron bombs were a rare commodity, both the Directorate and the Representativity exercised a strict control over them.

For a regular commander having some at his disposal was unheard of.
And if they had knew about it surely there would have been problems, big problems.

Nutron bombs were the kind of weapon that could alter not only the course of a war, but the balance of power between sectors too.

On the other hand if their use would have been proven indispensable in achieving victory the Green Company would have gladly ignored every other consideration.
It wasn't the first time that Commanders deployed weapons that they shouldn't have.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Hmm, I'm leaning towards EMP and Light AC weaponry, but the reactions of others at a neutron bomb might be worth the risk. Damn. I'll wait till we get another vote.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Right now we have a clear C from Crooked Bee, a possible C from Oscar and a possible D from anus_pounder.
Later on I will post an XXX update as a bonus, feel free to ignore it, and depending on the voting situation of tomorrow I will prepare the next chapter accordingly.
All in all by Wednesday night/Thursday morning the epic battle will begin.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Switched to C. Neutron Bombs sound like the sort of trump card you pull out in desperation, I don't think we're quite at that point.

Kz3r0

Arcane
All right, C it is.

Mass Effect

"I think that hyper-velocity guns would be the best choice for this battle."
Said Wulfen.

"Good, I will give immediately order to our engineers of equip your ships with the new guns."
"It will take two days, I think."
Pondered Norian Dhen
"Feel free to take a license until they are ready, there will not be many other occasions from now on."

"Thank you Commander."
Said Wulfen while taking his leave.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday an eXXXtra chapter where Wulfen will get a woman(?) before returning to the male solitude of space, feel free to avoid that if you are not interested.

Thursday the battle(should have) begins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom