Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Using Dropbox & folder sync for pbem

DakaSha

Arcane
Ok so this is a utility thread for people who may not know about this system. In fact ive never seen anybody use it so maybe I can call myself the creator of the system..
:smug:
Probably not

Pbem sucks ass as we all know but it does have it's strengths.
Of course the best would be a mix between pure TCP and pbem which is possible but it seems company's are to retarded to try it.
Anyways I have a decent solution that works for some games (depends on the way the pbem is handled)
I'm using this system for Dominions 3 with a friend right now and it's great. I was thinking that maybe id ask you retards to join in (in dom3 or something else) some day so might as well share this crap.
I'm assuming that anybody playing pbem has experience with dropbox and can follow my terrible instructions

IGNORE PREVIOUS SHIT AND START HERE:
1. Get Dropbox. Get an account. If you want to be nice give me your email so i can invite you.. that will give me some more free space.. But whatever i wouldn't do that either.

2. Get "Dropbox folder sync". The current version contained a virus or gave off a virus report but if you search youll find an older clean version (In the dropbox forums in the thread for the plugin i think there was a link on the last thread page) I don't seem to have it anymore or id upload it.

3. Install dat shit

4. Create some kind of folder structure in "your dropbox" that you want to use for pbem turn files.
Example: My Dropbox/Pbem/Dominions 3/MeVsMyOnlyFriend
For this "tutorial" MeVsMyOnlyFriend will be the folder i share

4. Invite your pbem partner to share that shit.

5.Open "Dropbox folder sync".. click on the moronically named "change settings" .. Browse to MeVsMyOnlyFriend.

6. Find the folder that the game saves its turn files to. Right click it. Select "Sync with dropbox". If done correctly this should create a synced folder in "MeVsMyOnlyFriend"

7. Go through 5 hours of explaining to your dense ass friend how to do this and have him do exactly the same shit. When he chooses to sync with dropbox he will get some retarded message.. he should just press yes.

Now your guys email folders are synced. If the games pbem system functions withing a certain frame of coolness your pbem life will be greatly improved.

In dominions it functions as such:
I complete turn.. Turn file is created in folder and automatically sent to his.
He completes turn and it is likewise sent to me.
We can both host (add a password if you dont like this shit)

There are some drawbacks:

1. Depending on the way a game handles pbem this may not work.. havnt had the prob yet

2. Games like dom3 which dont name the turns based on turn number will just overwrite old turns.. this isnt a big deal to me but could cause problems

3. If the game doesnt have cheat prevention or password protection this may lead to bullshit.

ps: Yes i know about llamaserver. If you cant see the difference then die

gp1628

Novice
Actually, it is possible to run Dom3 games using both TCP and Email. Ive done it on the Dom3Minions.com server where some people in the same game direct and others preferred another method such as email. It is possible to mix all of the methods in the same game.

More commonly is to mix them by having the turns emailed out so they can be worked on offline and on laptops while riding the bus etc etc. Which also works as a notice that the game has turned. And then use direct connect for turning them in. People seem to like it as the best of both worlds.

But I love your post. Thank you. Im going to add it to the game options list. Direct online, Play-by-EMail, FTP, Web Uploads, disc travel, lan, and now Dropbox.
Thanks again.

Gandalf Parker

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Bro, I am gonna tell you how to become an intertubes entrepreneur!

1. Create a native or webbased interface

So basically all turnbased games support pbem or some kind of multiplayer based on savegames. What they dont have is a decent unified system of doing it. Now here you come. You develop a native or webbased interface which recognizes the games present, recognizes savegames, lets you choose and upload them, lets you create private rooms, hosts those savegames, indicates when you opponent upped his turn and other features.

2. Charge 5 bucks a month

Well, you have to develop that shit, right? Maybe you could offer a barebones uncomfortable version for free where you dont host anything, just hand the communictaion. The luxury version will let you find opponent gloabally for all kind of games, host everything, basically make shit as easy as pie, Steam style or GameRanger but for lazy grognards. To bo honest, I would pay for it and I am such a huge jew, you wouldnt believe.

3. Profit!

You pray some and have 1k users who pay you. You could technically live of that shit.

4. Pitfalls

Jews might sue you for using their savegames or stealing their customers or some other jew shit.
You would have to actually work to get your app to recognize games. Now it might seem easy but let me tell you how updates can fuck everything up and there is a reason no-one! does maintenance on any contract for free...

gp1628

Novice
Orgasm said:
Bro, I am gonna tell you how to become an intertubes entrepreneur!
Wow, cool.
But Ive been telling people how to do sites like that since before Internet was called Internet.
You forgot some though such as adding a shop for tshirts, mousepads, posters, mugs (which can be done for free and is total profit). And the fact that you can link to the game on sales sites to get up to $5 on every copy of the game you convince someone to buy. Those make charging a fee unnecessary unless you come up with something really really special. I find that a donate button is more than enough.

The other things you mention have all already been done for Dom3. We can always use more of them so information is available if anyone wants to do a server. But thanks for the suggestion.

DakaSha

Arcane
gp1628 said:
Gandalf Parker

Ah that explains the AI defending ^^
Well welcome to the codex. I actually 'know' you from shrapnel and i was the creator of the 'Sha Bay' Map (which i never finished :-/ )

DakaSha

Arcane
Zed said:
DakaSha said:
IGNORE PREVIOUS SHIT AND START HERE:
jesus what an eyefuck

kill whitey
edit: holy shit you are right though.. i see that shit like 2.5 times

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom