Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Rise of the Dragon

spekkio

Arcane
Such puzzles are the reason I hate adventure games.

:cry:

So thanks for LPing this.

:)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Crooked Bee said:
Don't diss the fortune cookies if you know what's good for you. Did you notice Chang Li also gave us one? Did you notice I said only two of the items are useless? Did you notice Karyn said it was a code of sorts? Did you notice I hinted twice (thrice if you count what I'm doing right now) this could be important later on? Do you think I would be using so many questions marks for no reason?

Nasty stuff.
I don't know why, but this is one of the most disturbing death scenes I've seen in an adventure. The only one I find worse is in Willy Beamish, funnily enough.

spekkio said:
Such puzzles are the reason I hate adventure games.
ghostdog said:
Oh man, that fucking phone-tapping sequence... :x :x :x
Everyone who's played this game remember this sequence. Even though by now I've memorized where each lead goes I still feel some trepidation when approaching this part.

Also, Snake = Obvious reference to Snake Plissken, with the eye-patch and all.
Doh! I can't believe I never noticed this one...

commie said:
Enjoyable LP, good stuff...though AHEM commie only faps to ONE MILF thankyou!
What, Jenni not good enough for you?

Though Dynamix are even worse teases than Bioware. At least Chakwas doesn't hit on you (though you wish she did don't you) whereas Jenni's all over you... until you say yes that is.

anus_pounder said:
More gameovers please.
There's a few more coming, but the game actually doesn't have as many as I remember. It's just that, on a first run, you see some of them so many times (like the "oh shi-" one)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DAY FOUR: REVELATION

dragon_359.png

It's a bright new day, and it's time to go pick up the analysis results from Karyn.

dragon_360.png

dragon_361.png

Tkaryn.png
I have that lab report you wanted.

dragon_362.png

Tkaryn.png
No problem, loverboy. Here's the tape.

dragon_363.png

dragon_364.png

dragon_365.png

dragon_366.png

dragon_367.png

dragon_368.png

dragon_369.png

dragon_370.png

I won't go too much into why Jeff Tunnell will never win a prize for good science in his games (protip: red blood cells don't have any DNA. Let's not even get close to everything else), but it is interesting to note that the idea of a molecule changing another molecule's structure to match its own is precisely why prions are infectious, which is notable because this game was released several years before the big prion scare of the 90's and even before the prion replication model was advanced (though prions themselves had already been identified). Except prions are proteins and not DNA, which is a whole other story. Anyway.

dragon_371.png

Tkaryn.png
Is there anything you'd like me to take a look at?

dragon_372.png

Tkaryn.png
Hmm. This is very unusual... There's a sleeper gate attached to this file.

Tkaryn.png
If anyone tries to access the information contained inside the file, it will set off an alarm and wipe the system!

Tkaryn.png
I can try to bypass it, but if it doesn't work, we could be in a very unhealthy situation!

dragon_373.png

Picking the first option changes absolutely nothing for the rest of the game, except you don't get the information on Deng Hwang, so there's no reason to play it safe.

Tkaryn.png
If you say so, Blade. Here goes...

Tkaryn.png
What little information there is in the computer on this guy is almost two years old.

Tkaryn.png
No birth date, S.I.D. number, or address... Hell! There's not even a physical description of the guy!

Tkaryn.png
His name appears in connection with some Fed investigations concerning the Chinese Mafia and a break-in at a military generic research facility at Los Alamos.

Tkaryn.png
In the course of this incident they killed 20 people and burned the place to the ground!

Tkaryn.png
There's no mention of anything being stolen, and all other details are classified.

Tkaryn.png
Now what the hell does the Chinese Mafia want with a genetic research facility? Something very strange is going on here!

Tkaryn.png
There's no way I can get any more information without tripping some heavy security, so I'm going to wipe all record of this trace.

Tkaryn.png
Then I'm going to get back to work and pretend none of this happened.

Tkaryn.png
You'd better get out of here, Blade. I'll see you later.

Break-in at a genetic research facility, drug that kills people by mutating their DNA. Connect the dots.

Before leaving, don't forget to pick up the tape.

dragon_374.png

Now who can we show this to? Well, the mayor did hire us to find out who killed his daughter, and we now have a pretty solid idea of this, so let's go have a chat with him.

dragon_375.png

dragon_376.png

dragon_377.png

Tjenni.png
I'm terribly sorry, Blade. But the mayor has left orders that he is not to be disturbed... Especially by you.

So he hires us to do his dirty work, then tries to pretend we don't exist? This will not do!

dragon_378.png

Tblade2.png
Inform him that I have some information which I'm sure he would prefer kept out of the public eye.

Tblade2.png
After all, it IS an election year!

Tjenni.png
Sorry, Blade, but I can't have you marching into the mayor's office every time you want your parking tickets fixed!

Blade would never stoop down to this! :rpgcodex:

Tjenni.png
If you're pulling my leg this time, we're both gonna catch hell!

Tjenni.png
Mr. Mayor, William Hunter's here to see you on an extremely urgent matter!

Tmayor.png
He's not here to get me to fix some parking tickets, is he?

OK... so maybe he did once or twice :/

Tjenni.png
He claims it is urgent, sir.

Tjenni.png
He is threatening to reveal information which would hurt your changes to be re-elected.

Tmayor.png
Very well. Send him up.

dragon_379.png

Now the next conversation is a little tricky. You need to know when to insult, when to back off and when to push the mayor, otherwise you will gain nothing from the meeting.

dragon_380.png

Tblade2.png
You're damn right it is!

Tblade2.png
And I'm sick and tired of being giventhe runaround by your people!

Tblade2.png
You're the effin' jerk who hired me for this gig, and then you act like I'm radioactive when I try to get in touch with you!

Tmayor.png
It would not be appropriate for me to be seen publicly in your company, Mr. Hunter.

Tmayor.png
I only hired you because there is no one else who knows the scum of this city like you do!

Tblade.png
Yeah, and a lot of it's in this building!

Blade 1, Mayor 0 :smug:

dragon_381.png

Tmayorannoy.png
Or worse.

dragon_382.png

Tblade.png
I have information which indicates your daughter may have been involved with a member of the Chinese Mafia.

Tblade.png
And likely a drug addict to boot!

Tmayorannoy.png
If you have any information of that nature, I strongly suggest that you leave it in my possession.

Tmayorannoy.png
Releasing it cuold prove detrimental to your health!

Tmayorannoy.png
I want you to tell me everything you've discovered, Mr Hunter!

dragon_383.png

Tblade2.png
Chandi was hangin' 'round a China Mafioso name o' Chen Lu. It seems he gave her some bad juice.

Tblade2.png
Bad with a capital 'B'!

dragon_384.png

dragon_385.png

No point hanging on to the tape, as it has no other use, so we give it to the mayor.

Tmayor.png
Do you have any leads on this "Chen Lu"?

Tblade2.png
I found what was left of him on the floor of his apartment.

Tblade2.png
Since he died the same way Chandi did, it seems likely that the Chinese Mafia is somehow involved with this M.T.Z.

Tblade2.png
You haven't done anything to tick them off lately, have you?

Tmayor.png
No.

Tblade2.png
Somehow I'm not reassured.

Tmayor.png
I can't trust the police to deal with this situation effectively, Mr Hunter...

Tmayor.png
so I'd like you to follow up on it further.

Tmayor.png
I want you to find out who is ultimately responsible for this M.T.Z. operation.

Tmayor.png
And then I want you to shut down the operation. Permanently.

dragon_386.png

Tmayor.png
Don't be so hasty to take an extreme position, Mr. Hunter! I'm sure we can work something out.

Tblade2.png
I've been busting my ass for you, nosing around some serious fatal mobbers...

Tblade2.png
And all I get for my trouble is a lotta flack from you. How 'bout a little cooperation here?!

Tblade2.png
I don't like being left hung out to dry!

Tmayor.png
Official help is, of course, out of the question...

Tmayor.png
But I can give you a security pass which will allow you to get some increased firepower from the police armory.

Tmayor.png
Good day, Mr. Hunter. We shall not meet again unless you are successful in this endeavor.

Tblade2.png
I don't think I like the way you phrased that.

Tmayor.png
Nevertheless, it is an accurate statement. Take it as you wish. Goodbye.

dragon_387.png

Now I'm sure you're all wondering... getting the patch, analyzing it, successfully manipulating the mayor... was this all worth it?

dragon_388.png

dragon_389.png

Well guess what we have now, bitch :smug:

dragon_390.png

dragon_391.png

dragon_392.png

Tdeputy.png
Wow! That's some pretty impressive clearance for a civilian!

dragon_393.png

And your reward for going through all this is...

dragon_394.png

dragon_395.png

:yeah:

Remember when I said losing the gun wasn't a dead end? This is why. You DO need a weapon at the end of the game, but once you get this you don't need the gun anymore (which, you may have noticed, I haven't used anyway).

dragon_396.png

Now let's go check if our good friend The Jake has heard anything since we blew up the warehouse.

dragon_397.png

And now you will finally see why I've been lugging around the second bar of chocolate all this time.

dragon_398.png

Tarreis.png
No guns allowed! Check 'em or get lost!

dragon_399.png

dragon_400.png

Tslen.png
Both of 'em, wise guy!

dragon_401.png

Tslen.png
Nice piece... Be a pity to lose it! You got anything else for us?

Remember this line? It's the same one Slen used when I had only the handgun. The hint being that no, the "anyting else" doesn't refer to yet another gun Blade might be carrying, but to what you want to bribe them with.

dragon_402.png

This is the Pleasure Dome, where black market goods are prized above all else.

Tslen.png
Chocolate! The wife will love this...

Tslen.png
Better take this claim check for your weapon. We have a habit of forgetting faces around here.

dragon_403.png

And now you're wondering... didn't I have the first chocolate bar on our first visit? Could I have used it then? that's right, and I would've then received the claim ticket on all future visits. But wouldn't this mean not being able to give the bar to The Jake? that's also right... except you can get what you want from him just by picking a different set of dialog options. Multiple solutions FTW.

dragon_404.png

Tjake.png
I... uh... got some news for ya...

Tjake.png
Can't talk now, though.

Tjake.png
We meed to meet somewhere safe.

Tjake.png
I'll give you a call.

Tjake.png
Now get outta here before someone sees us talkin'!

dragon_405.png

That's all we can do here, so let's get our guns back and leave.

Tblade.png
'Scuse me. I'd like to get my guns back.

Tslen.png
You got a gun check ticket?

You bet! :smug:

dragon_406.png

dragon_407.png

dragon_408.png

Now let's check the two last locations that we haven't yet been to, starting with the Reservoir.

dragon_409.png

There's nothing happening here though, and nothing you can do or interact with.

dragon_410.png

dragon_411.png

Let's try Deng Hwang's headquarters.

dragon_412.png

Tguard.png
Security pass, please.

Tblade.png
Umm... I left it at home.

Tguard.png
I'm sorry, sir. No one is allowed in without a pass.

The description here specifically mentions that the guardhouse is bullet-proof, gas-proof, bomb-proof, and generally creative adventure gamer proof. You are NOT getting in without a pass.

dragon_413.png

dragon_414.png

Well, that's disappointing. Let's go back home for now.

dragon_415.png

dragon_416.png

dragon_417.png

dragon_418.png

Completely unaware of what's transpiring, Blade checks his VidPhone hoping for a message from The Jake.

dragon_419.png

Uh-oh. Instead there's one from Deng Hwang, and it's addressed directly to Blade!

dragon_420.png

Tvoice.png
I have a friend of yours with me... I believe that she may, in fact, be somewhat more than a friend. In any case, Karyn Sommers is in my custody.

Tvoice.png
She is in good health for the moment and, provided you cooperate, there is every reason to expect that she will stay that way.

Tvoice.png
You have caused us a slight inconvenience, nothing more. However, you must cease meddling in affairs that are no concern of yours.

Tvoice.png
Further resistance on you part is futile, Mr. Hunter. You cannot win, and you will only bring destruction on yourself and those you care about.

Tvoice.png
Consider my words carefully. You will not receive another warning. Good day.

Unfortunately there's nothing Blade can do for now, except spend a restless night worrying about his beloved. Tomorrow will bring many opportunities for payback.

dragon_347.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Brother None said:
Tricky Dick?
You mean the mayor's patterned after Nixon? Not sure. I see some resemblance now that you mention it.

Azira said:
Time to kick some demon/dragon ass soon, amirite?!
Soon. I debated whether to put it all as one update or split it, and ended up splitting because otherwise the update would be stupidly long. This will also allow me to show a few more optional paths and a couple of alternate endings in the next update before funneling it all down for the end game.

ghostdog said:
M.T.Z ? Moar like .I.T.Z :D
Speaking of alternate endings, ITZ by MTZ is one of them. No machetes sadly.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DAY FIVE, EVENING: CONVERGENCE

dragon_421.png

It's time to end this and save Karyn from the clutches of Deng Hwang!

dragon_422.png

First, let's pass by the Bureau of Records. Maybe Deng Hwang was bluffing after all?

dragon_423.png

Hey look who's here! She is safe after all!

Tblade.png
Hey beautiful, here's the stud of your life!

dragon_424.png

Oops...

Tblade.png
Oops, sorry, my mistake.

dragon_425.png

Probably the worst pun in the entire game.

dragon_426.png

Anyway, back to serious. Remember The Jake said he had some info for us? Passing by the Pleasure Dome, he's not there. He did say he'd call, so let's check Blade's VidPhone.

dragon_427.png

Sure enough The Jake's true to his word.

dragon_428.png

Tvidjake.png
Word on the street is that some very lethal dudes are stalkin' a P.I. who's been nosin' around too much!

Tvidjake.png
Unless you want to end up very dead, meet me at the warehouse at 8:30 tonight.

While Blade checks his messages, events are transpiring...

dragon_094.png

dragon_429.png

Tvoice.png
What I am is not important at the moment, but know this: I will soon be in absolute control of this city!

Tvoice.png
I have only two demands:

Tvoice.png
First, Mayor Vincenzi must dismiss the entire police force and resign his office!

Tvoice.png
Second, 500 million dollars in diamonds and platinum must be delivered to me in a time, place, and manner of my choice!

Tvoice.png
If my demands are not agreed to in principle within the next ten hours, I will spread my considerable stocks of Dragon M.T.Z. among the city's population!

Tvoice.png
Certain parts of the law enforcement community in this city are, I believe, already familiar with the action of this substance on the body of a normal person!

Tvoice.png
Suffice it to say, M.T.Z. poisoning is an extremely unpleasant way to die!

Tvoice.png
Consider this fair warning, Mr. Mayor. Do not attempt any tricks, or I will kill every living thing in the City and County of Los Angeles!

Tvoice.png
I sincerely hope that will not be necessary. I am, after all, a reasonable individual...

Tvoice.png
as long as my conditions are fulfilled!

Tvoice.png
Long live Bahumat!

This is the game telling you that today is the day. If you don't stop Deng Hwang, he really will kill everyone in Los Angeles.

So, let's save the game and advance the time to the end of the day... When the time hits around 22:30 this is what happens:

dragon_094.png

dragon_552.png

dragon_553.png

dragon_554.png

dragon_555.png

dragon_556.png

dragon_557.png

dragon_558.png

dragon_559.png

dragon_560.png

dragon_561.png

dragon_562.png

dragon_563.png

dragon_theend.png

And this is ITZ ladies and gentlemen - everyone dead from turning into a half-reptile. Nasty stuff. If you count it as one, this is the really bad ending.

In case you're wondering, this is also the scene you would see should you decide to not blow up the warehouse. On the night of the 2nd to 3rd of August (remember the timing of the prophecy?) Deng Hwang broadcasts his message, and this is then followed by the "feel the wrath of the dragon" bit. Unlike now, however, it all happens while Blade is sleeping, and therefore you have no control over any of it. Blowing up the factory delays the whole affair but also changes the timing to when Blade can deal with it. It's not very logical, but that's how it is.

Anyway, Blade's not going to just sit back and let MITZ happen. And even if you disregard the metagamey solution, Blade already knows the minions of Bahumat plan on doing something at the Reservoir, thanks to Chang Li's translation.

dragon_430.png

So let's go to the Reservoir and wait there. Good thing Blade's got a gun too, as I don't think the henchmen will listen to reason.

dragon_431.png

Meh... looks a bit puny doesn't it?

dragon_432.png

Now we wait.

dragon_094.png

dragon_433.png

dragon_434.png

dragon_435.png

dragon_436.png

Notice the cursor has changed to a targeting reticle. Pushing the left button at this point causes Blade to shoot, and because we've equipped the assault rifle, he'll be shooting bursts instead of the handgun's single shots.

dragon_437.png

This is like a reverse popamole. Yep, Rise of the Dragon, 1990, first game to have cover shooting!

dragon_438.png

... but only for the AI. Blade just stands there soaking up bullets while the enemies pop in and out of cover.

Should Blade die in this segment, you get the MITZ ending I showed above.

dragon_439.png

Thankfully the bullet-proof vest means Blade can absorb a lot of damage, and the assault rifle makes short work of the henchmen.

dragon_440.png

Soon they're all dead. This is where you could've used the med kit, as using it mid-fight would heal Blade. As it happens I didn't really need it.

dragon_441.png

Now see that blue thing right under the mouse cursor?

dragon_442.png

If I didn't have the rifle, this is where I'd have acquired one. Since I already have it, you get this message instead.

Now let's get into the hovercar! (remember that hovercar ad in the first update?)

dragon_443.png

dragon_444.png

Just like with the Em-Way, you just select the destination and Blade immediately parks the hovercar there. Except that the hovercar is much faster than public transit, and so using it consumes much less time. Since there is a time limit, this is important if you're trying to tie up all the loose ends.

dragon_445.png

Notice that several locations are missing, namely the ones with nowhere to park the hovercar.

dragon_446.png

Remember when I showed you the roof in Blade's apartment building? This is why this screen exists.

Anyway, while doing this LP, I discovered ending #2, another bad ending. I got this one by just sitting on Blade's roof and advancing the time (I was trying to get the ITZ ending, which I already had seen). But since we've already neutralized the threat at the Reservoir, things go very differently.

dragon_094.png

dragon_516.png

dragon_517.png

dragon_519.png

dragon_520.png

dragon_521.png

... starting with Karyn's death :(

dragon_541.png

dragon_629.png

dragon_542.png

Tblade2.png
Don't try to stop me, Jenni.

dragon_544.png

dragon_545.png

Tmayor.png
Put that gun away! Don't be a fool!

Tblade2.png
How 'bout I put a bullet in your skull instead!

dragon_546.png

dragon_547.png

dragon_548.png

dragon_549.png

dragon_550.png

dragon_551.png

Tdeng.png
And cross they must, for the Dragon shall rise again!

dragon_theend.png

Needless to say, this is not the ending we are aiming for. So we reload and head for our meeting with The Jake.

dragon_447.png

dragon_448.png

dragon_449.png

Well, no problem. We've in advance and there's absolutely nothing that can go wro-

dragon_450.png

Tsnake.png
Does this little street rodent belong to you?

dragon_451.png

Saving your game at this point is a very good idea!

dragon_452.png

Welcome to the arcade segment of Rise of the Dragon. Arcade minigames were kind of a staple of Sierra adventures at the time (see Space Quest series) and they made an appearance in all the DGDS games. This one's a pretty straightforward platformer: you're on the leftmost side of the level, get to the rightmost side and beat the boss. You can control Blade either with the mouse (clicking on the arrows you see) or with the keyboard numpad (the latter is MUCH easier).

dragon_453.png

On the way there, several henchmen will try to stop you by shooting at you. I'm not sure if the bullet-proof armor increases Blade's health, but the henchmen have no AI to speak of and just stand there shooting every once in a while. Since they're standing, crouching means their bullets just fly over Blade's head while he shoots them in the crotch.

dragon_454.png

There are also environmental hazards to be wary of, such as these toxic fumes. They go off at regular intervals, so Blade just sneaks past them between jets.

dragon_455.png

There are also bottomless pits to avoid. You can jump by clicking the square button between all the arrows, or pressing Enter on the keyboard.

dragon_456.png

Blade jumps quite high and far, so avoiding the pit is easy.

dragon_457.png

Another insta-death obstacle (notice the warning sign). I couldn't get a screenshot, as the laser beam flashes for a split second. Just walk past it right after it does.

dragon_458.png

As you can see, some guards are smarter and will crouch themselves.

dragon_459.png

Still, they're also pretty easy to deal with and Blade can soak up a number of bullets before biting one.

dragon_460.png

dragon_461.png

Notice the ledge? Just like the on two screenshots ago, Blade can be made to jump onto it, avoiding the pit entirely.

dragon_462.png

We're coming up to yet another obstacle, the high voltage line. You can see the sparks. Unlike the beam and the gas, this one is continuously on, so it is not a matter of timing.

dragon_463.png

It's even easier in fact: just crouch under it.

dragon_464.png

This one's for you Radisshu.

dragon_465.png

A blue health bar has appeared right under Blade's read one, indicating the boss (The Snake) is nearby.

dragon_466.png

And sure enough here he is. After a brief crossfire exchange across the pit, The Snake grabs the pipe and crosses to our side. For some odd reason he's invincible while he crosses.

dragon_467.png

Once Blade and The Snake are in melee range they stop shooting at each other and resort instead to beating each other with their rifles.

dragon_468.png

Thankfully for us, Blade is much better at button mashing and quickly drains Plissken's Snake's health bar.

dragon_469.png

And it's done. Chen Lu's killer is a goner, closing the circle.

dragon_470.png

It's Snake's ID card.

dragon_471.png

If for any reason you make it this far without the rifle (the aracde is doable with the handgun, but a little harder), you'd also receive The Snake's rifle. Note that, had I arrived at the warehouse without any weapon it would've been an instant game over when Snake shoots you on the spot.

Anyway, we have now tied up all the loose ends in the game. Only one thing left to do: assault Deng Hwang's headquarters, stop Bahumat once and for all, and rescue Karyn. The two actions we've done on this day have each opened up one path into Deng Hwang's (and therefore, only one really needs to be done).

dragon_472.png

First, the hovercar itself lets us bypass the security gate entirely by landing on the roof, then making our way in.

dragon_473.png

The other way is, you guessed, through the security gate. Remember we were stopped by the guard the first time? Well, things are different now.

dragon_474.png

Tguard.png
Security pass, please.

Tblade.png
Just a second.

dragon_475.png

We have Snake's ID now!

Tguard.png
Everything looks in order. Go right in.

As Blade steps into Deng Hwang's HQ...

dragon_094.png

dragon_477.png

dragon_478.png

dragon_479.png

Tdeng.png
and so will Blade Hunter if he tries to rescue you.

To be concluded...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's funny how the police and the army are completely powerless against a public threat for mass murdering a whole city, while Hunter with his big fucking gun kicks their ass. The whole evil Bahumat angle is a bit silly but the game makes up for it with good atmosphere, humor and alternative routes/sudden deaths.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, a bunch of terrorist taking over a water reservoir with poisoning demands shd've been handled quickly.. It's a short, but fun game.

lightbane

Arcane
Back in the old times the game were much simpler and did not require emotionally-engaging epic plots to be entertaining. Too bad that the game is short.

A mutagen that causes people to shapeshift into reptilian form and then die. Very interesting.

It even sort of resembles some of the transformations I've seen, with the pointy ear and protruding jaw, etc.

Radisshu

Prophet
So does anyone else think the name "Blade Hunter" is supposed to be similar to "Bladerunner"?

dragon_464.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
ghostdog said:
It's funny how the police and the army are completely powerless against a public threat for mass murdering a whole city, while Hunter with his big fucking gun kicks their ass.
There are a few inconsistencies with the plot. TBH this one doesn't bother me at all because it's a staple of just about any "lone hero saves the world/city/neighborhood/whatever" plot. The whole business with Deng Hwang's name was much more serious, IMO. The other oddity is that Deng Hwang seems to be a pretty prominent figure in the city - as soon as Blade learns his name for example he immediately knows where his company's headquarters are. It's odd then that no one ever makes the connection between him and the Chinese mafia, or even him and the "voice of Bahumat" (it is both his appearance and his voice after all...)

Radisshu said:
So does anyone else think the name "Blade Hunter" is supposed to be similar to "Bladerunner"?
Of course. I mentioned in the first update that the game draws heavily from Blade Runner in terms of atmosphere. The name's just a very obvious reference.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DAY FIVE, FINALE: VENGEANCE

dragon_476.png

This is it. We're in the dragon's den now.

dragon_480.png

The exit we want is in the back, protected by another laser barrier. The immediate goal, of course, is to deactivate that barrier, and this involves getting into the security room. Let's ask the receptionist what she thinks.

dragon_481.png

dragon_482.png

The first two options don't work (the second leads to a slightly more elaborate dialog). If you pick the third one, the receptionist recognizes Blade as an old class mate, and without enough pretty-please she'll let him in. However she'll eventually try and call security anyway. So, we will pick the first option to get through the dialog quickly, then try a much funnier approach.

Treception.png
Mr. Hwang never sees anyone without an appointment, and you are not on the list, sir.

Treception.png
Please leave immediately, or I'll be forced to call security.

You are SO going to regret this :smug:

dragon_483.png

Remember the disabling aerosol we picked up waaaaaaaaay back in Blade's apartment? Let's equip it and give her a small taste of it.

dragon_484.png

dragon_485.png

Tblade.png
Just a little joy juice.

Treceptiondrug.png
MMmm... I like it!

Tblade.png
Hey, darlin'! Think you could let me in the security room to do a little sabotage?

Treceptiondrug.png
Sssuurrrre! Go ahead!

Treceptiondrug.png
Whheeee!

dragon_486.png

In before Melissan accusing me of abuse and sexism.

dragon_487.png

Anyway now that the way's clear, Blade walks into the security room.

dragon_488.png

After saving the game, let's walk into the break room and add one to our game over collection.

dragon_489.png

dragon_490.png

dragon_491.png

dragon_theend.png

Right, let's restore and have a look at the security console instead.

dragon_492.png

dragon_493.png

The controls are self-explanatory for the most part. The 100kV controls the laser barrier, the big handle controls the security system and alarm. The four switches control various locks (up/green for locked). The roof controls the elevator (though only access to it from the entryway; it doesn't prevent you from getting in after landing on the roof, obviously), break is for the guard room we just entered before restoring, and the janitor and holding will become obvious later on. All the buttons in the bottom left I'll get to in a second.

Now, the first thing we want to do is reverse all the locks: lock the break room, unlock everything else.

dragon_494.png

Now let's deactivate the laser, which was the main reason for coming here in the first place.

dragon_495.png

Mmm. Well I guess we'll have to turn off the security system first.

dragon_496.png

Not that easy! I thought using The Snake's card would work here...

dragon_497.png

dragon_498.png

But unfortunately it doesn't, and now you have to enter the manual override, which consists of pushing the colored buttons in the right order. Pushing the wrong button results in this humorous scene:

dragon_626.png

dragon_627.png

dragon_628.png

Of course, had I left the break room unlocked, we'd have gotten the same game over as going into the guard room.

Now there's several ways to get through this. Remember the game Simon? One is to play this, as the game will play out the colors (and the associated sounds) in three increasingly complex sequences. This, of course, wastes time. Another solution is supposedly buried in the manual, but I admit I never found it. The third solution is... hey look, a code, in colors! Where have I seen this before?

dragon_288.png

Are you still making fun of fortune cookies, Crooked Bee?

We enter the code and...

dragon_499.png

dragon_094.png

dragon_500.png

Woops. The aerosol is wearing off and the receptionist is coming back to her senses. Let's be quick about it.

dragon_501.png

Well, that's the last thing we need to do: switch the laster barrier off.

dragon_502.png

Now let's go back to the reception area.

dragon_503.png

Woops, we really pissed her off.

dragon_504.png

dragon_505.png

dragon_506.png

:smug:

Tblade.png
Sorry I had to torpedo you like that...

Tblade.png
but your boss is up to no good, and if I don't stop him, a lot of people will get hurt.

Tblade.png
You'd better get out of here! Things are gonna get nasty!

dragon_507.png

With the barrier gone we can finally go deeper into the lair.

dragon_508.png

The far door is too inviting not to try out...

dragon_509.png

Tdeng.png
The hour of our destiny is nearly upon us!

dragon_510.png

dragon_511.png

Fascinating, but we don't have time for this. Let's go back and try one of the other doors.

dragon_512.png

Tblade2.png
My God! Karyn! What have these bastards done to you?!

dragon_513.png

We've finally found Karyn, but she looks like she's in real trouble! Let's take a closer look at that collar thing she's got.

dragon_514.png

See the number on the display on the top right? That's a countdown... in seconds. We'll have to move very quickly to save Karyn. But what to do? The only items we can interact with are those three connecting wires. Maybe unplugging them will do the tri-

dragon_515.png

dragon_516.png

dragon_517.png

dragon_518.png

dragon_519.png

dragon_520.png

dragon_521.png

dragon_522.png

dragon_523.png

Tblade2.png
I swear you won't live out this day!

dragon_524.png

dragon_525.png

dragon_526.png

dragon_527.png

dragon_528.png

dragon_529.png

dragon_530.png

dragon_531.png

dragon_532.png

dragon_533.png

dragon_534.png

dragon_535.png

It should be noted that the music through that entire sequence is very good.

dragon_536.png

Yep, unfortunately the grand finale is yet another arcade sequence.

dragon_537.png

Controls are exactly the same as in the other arcade sequence.

dragon_538.png

So are the enemies.

dragon_539.png

The obstacles, however, are a little different. The four tubes discharge in a specific looping pattern. The pattern is quite complex, but you need to memorize it to find the one and only point at which it is safe to cross. Crossing at the wrong time gets Blade incinerated.

dragon_540.png

:rage:

Dying sends you back to the beginning of the arcade (whether you saved or not), where you're free to try again as many times as you want.

dragon_564.png

Anyway we get past the jets and keep shooting bad guys.

dragon_565.png

dragon_566.png

These jets can thankfully be avoided by just jumping off the ledge and killing the crouching guard.

dragon_567.png

More jumping ahead.

dragon_568.png

These are wide enough that Blade will most probably not be able to jump across cleanly.

dragon_569.png

Thankfully, he can catch the ledge and climb back.

dragon_570.png

dragon_571.png

Once more...

dragon_572.png

This one is REALLY annoying. Like the previous jets there's only one point in the pattern where you can cross, but there's another point that seems like it's identical... except that if you try to cross the jets' behavior is slightly different and they fry you instead. Much rage ensues.

dragon_573.png

Still we make it across and keep going, shooting and jumping.

dragon_574.png

dragon_575.png

dragon_576.png

Until we reach Bahumat himself.

Bahumat is annoying. He shoots targeted fireballs from a distance, and if you get too close he whacks you with his tail (which does quite a lot of damage). Thankfully it's possible to abuse the stairs to shoot him and still be able to avoid his fireballs.

dragon_577.png

He soon dies an unglorious death and reverts back to his human form. Karyn is avenged.

dragon_578.png

dragon_579.png

dragon_094.png

dragon_580.png

dragon_581.png

Tpolice.png
The only resistance we're encountering is from a sniper holed up near the main entrance. He's got us pinned down.

dragon_582.png

dragon_583.png

dragon_584.png

Tblade2.png
Karyn was killed by that maniac!

dragon_585.png

Tmayorannoy.png
Compared to the well-being of this entire city, you are insignificant. I can live with the sacrifice of one person if it means I can save fourteen million.

dragon_586.png

dragon_587.png

dragon_588.png

dragon_589.png

dragon_590.png

dragon_theend.png

Thanks for watching.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Crooked Bee said:
Looking forward to the true ending!
Thanks for ruining my troll :rpgcodex:

;)

I'll post the good ending over the weekend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom