Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO Extraterrestrials - Finale

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And we do have soldiers with good reactions. I'd brought a bit too many grenadiers (4) for the base defense mission for that tactic to be viable though, so on the hunt I went. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@anus_pounder
Your number 3 is signed up. :salute:

@Storyfag
Unfortunately no, I know of no such mod. That does not rule out the possibility of one existing however. I'll let you know if I learn of one.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@dextermorgan
You will see action soon. I'm forced to keep a rotation due to the injuries, and your avatar will see battle soon. :salute:

@eklektyk
You just keep heaping death on the aliens. :salute:

@Desmodus Rotundus
Probably yes, but I prefer to increase their other stats first, as a single lucky shot would still be able to kill our soldiers in their current armour. Maybe I will focus more in vitality later. Just don't expect too much. :smug:

@Drakron
That's the hard life of being a frontline soldier. :salute:

I hope to produce an update soon, but I'm pretty beat after being at work through the whole night, so I'll go catch some shut-eye first. If I don't update today, I hope to do so tomorrow. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Next update will not be up today, but when it finally appears, it will feature the death of two soldiers.

dead_soldiers.jpg

:salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As I left things off last, I promised you that more swarms would appear, and that's a promise I will keep in this update. :smug:

Before we get to that, we send in the troops to clean up the mess our interceptors are making.

Drakron continues improving his accuracy. :salute:

Pope Amole maxes his shooting accuracy, and Storyfag has the reflexes of a cat high on caffeine. :salute:

We finish our first laser cannon, and we see that when changing weapons on an interceptor, there is indeed a slight delay for rearming the ship, whereas if you don't change weapons, when the interceptors return to base, they're instantly rearmed with missiles and other ammo. :roll:

We soon have three interceptors ready with laser cannons. :salute:

At this point, a popup appears totally unbidden, telling us we can now research a new interceptor.. :M We will, for a certainty. But we didn't have to research any new materials or some such to unlock this topic, instead it seems to have been on a hidden timer.

The new laser cannons in action. They do a lot more damage, shoot further and tend to hit more often. :incline:
Of course, this leads to more UFO wrecks in need of salvage.

Nooooo.jpg

anus_pounder, the next time your intuition tells you something, feel free to share it again. This happened not half an hour after I saw your post where you wanted to sign up your number III... :salute:
Eklektyk maxes out reactions and improves on his strength, so he can better wield heavy weapons and carry a fuckton of shields for personal defense. :salute:

dextermorgan is promoted, and goes from shitty aim, to mediocre. :salute:

The new interceptor is only slightly faster than the old model, but it holds more fuel, and can take a lot more damage before crashing. :incline: Unfortunately, it's expensive to build and maintain, and it also takes forever to construct. We'll have to postpone this particular project until our finances improve. M:

Research into the repulsive acid-spitting larva aliens lead to new research avenues for grenades. :smug:

And researching the hallucinoid opens up a "mindshield" topic. I decide to not pursue that topic until we've improved our weapons and armour first. :M

Drakron and Bee are promoted, I choose to focus on Bee's strength immediately, as it was rather poor and only let her carry two shields, which isn't exactly impressive. :roll: With her improves strength stat, this has changed drastically. :salute:

The chemical grenade is researched, and immediately we order our scientists to focus on bringing us the stun grenade, as the stun missiles are cumbersome, and the stunrod is infeasible.
It turns out that production of chemical grenades is slightly profitable, but only just. :smug: I have high hopes for any future projects.

Our 50 scientists quickly crack the secret behind stuffing stun gasses into grenade-size parcels. This little puppy can actually turn a profit, if our 20 technicians do nothing but turn out stun grenades, we can earn about 4000$ a day, when the costs for the raw materials and paychecks for the technicians are deducted. :incline:
It's not much, but it's a definite improvement.

The turn of the month is upon us. I've been selling off unresearched alien artifacts to fund our research, I'm just hoping it wasn't anything we're going to need later. :roll: The three territories that we have bases in are all quite pleased, only Syrtis Major, which is situated on the south pole, thinks we could do a better job. They're undoubtedly right, as we have no radar coverage down below. :smug:

With the added funds, we expand yet again, this time to the north pole. I like to expand slowly, so the interceptors from different bases can help eachother out, should the need arise. I would rather not place my second base on the other side of the globe, as that base would have no backup.

We start seeing missions where we get no promotions. The xp still rolls in, but we need increasingly more to impress the brass.

This is an almost intact scout size UFO. Unfortunately for Black, there were two chasers in this UFO, and he lacked the timeunits to take both down, so he retreated outside, but not before taking a shot to the back..

He survived however, and got promoted as well. :salute: dextermorgan is also improving and is getting quite decent with a heavy laser. :salute:

azerz-pew-pew-pew.jpg

Research into the smalles UFO finishes, and we now get to tinker with the things that go inside it. Our profit margin for salvage missions stands to soar once we finish these next projects. :incline:

DamnedRegistrations max out strength and starts building agility, to join Korenzel as the chief scouts. :salute:

Ashery and dextermorgan are promoted and are now proper contributing members when on the away team instead of simply fillers. :salute:

Even though we might not receive promotions, the missions still hold the potential to kill one or more of our team.

pewpew128556809820013017.jpg

nooooo.jpg

Out of nowhere, on a simple scout recovery mission, Warcupine is taken down by a larva and a chaser working in concert. First an acid attack that takes half his health, then a plasma rifle shot that nearly knocks him out, and when our turn starts, he takes critical damage from the acid attack and he's a goner before we even get a chance to react.. Warcupine, I :salute: you.
soldier-killed-in-action.jpg

Eklektyk summarily executes Warcupines killer. :salute:

Not even a single promotion or anything. Sad.

Aha! A new swarm! And this time I have 5 interceptors ready! Now we just need to figure out which one is the leader.. Oh well, if I shoot all of them down, I'm bound to get him, right?

128684196123616153.jpg

So, if I click the UFOs, one of them is actuall marked as the swarm leader?
We scramble all interceptors at that UFO.

We lose one of the interceptors, but I'll gladly take that deal again. A fully equipped interceptor costs us 247.000$, so we're 930.000$ up. :smug: And we get an even sweeter deal! Recover the crashed UFO, and we get a hefty 2.400.000$ more!
nooooo.jpg

Before we actually reach the crash site, our researchers wrap up their projects pertaining to UFO navigation and armor (sic).

The advanced detection system sounds nice, the transport even more so, but the real peach here is the promise of better body armour! All researchers are immediately set to the task of making this "Beekeeper" armour a reality. :smug:

We reach the crash site, and seeing as this was the swarm leader, I expect harder resistance than what is usual for a fighter type UFO, and I'm not disappointed. :incline:

We spot this! A vipon commander! Notice his skin colour is green, whereas normal vipons have a brown colour? Some may say this is a cheap trick to help the player differentiate what targets to simply kill, and what targets to try and catch alive, I'll take the help proffered, as we don't have any mind probes in this game. :M Ashery tosses the commander a stun grenade.

The commander reaction fires but hardly scratches Ashery, and come the start of the next turn, the gasses knocks it out. :incline:

Drakron is promoted, :salute: and we see that this UFO held 12 aliens, compared to the normal 8 in the standard fighter. :incline:
Having captured a commander, I go back on my previous decision, and move some researchers over to interrogating the commander, in the hopes of unlocking research on the plasma weapons.

We get a special reward for completing this mission on top of the monetary one, and auto-doc.

It's issued to our chief scout, korenzel, and it protects from critical hits (very nice indeed) while allowing the wearer to regenerate 10 hps per turn. This might indeed be overpowered, but we shall see. If it's a gamewrecker, then I'm certain it can be sold for a tidy profit. :smug:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The stun rod is the only melee weapon yet, and reaction fire will kill you before you get close enough to use it, so I'm loathe to rely on it. Maybe later with better armour, and more action points.

Oh, and everyone who has an interest should feel welcome to sign up. Even though the first post in this thread says that we're 3 soldiers away from full barracks, that does not mean number 4+ will not get in. With the current casualty rate, getting in is almost an guarantee.. :smug:

Oh, and if any of you wish to automatically sign up again, should you die, feel free to say so. Then you'll be appended to the end of the waiting line for another go, should you die. :salute:

korenzel

Educated
Very nice, you seem to be getting the better of the aliens... for now.

I expect casualty rates to soar once the next tier of enemies comes knocking, which should be once you've developped plasma weapons. This can be quite disheartening after months spent carefully crafting a crack team. Hopefully being protected against critical hits will help my incarnation survive.

I think commanders also have a special "alien spotted" icon at the bottom right, it's outlined with gold instead of the usual gray.

Among the special loot, the Auto-Doc is one of the tamest ones. The most game breaking include a long range radar that pinpoints all enemies on the map, and a teleporter that can make soldiers cross the whole area in a single turn.

Pope Amole

Educated
Azira said:
Oh, and if any of you wish to automatically sign up again, should you die, feel free to say so. Then you'll be appended to the end of the waiting line for another go, should you die. :salute:

The distant Vatican is always ready to select another Pope, so put him into automatic mode (although I do hope that there will be no need for this).

dextermorgan

Arcane
Azira said:
I prefer to sign up in person but if you're playing faster than you're updating this LP then put me on rotation. :salute:

lightbane

Arcane
The "Lightbane-type cyborg soldier" production line has been recently reestablished, use as many as necessary to win the war, so when mk I dies, replace it with Lightbane mk II, then mk III and so on. And many :love: for the last update.

PS: Didn't this mod have an option that allowed enemies from the original x-com game to appear?

PPS: Too bad that my soldier did not accomplish much... Yet.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Maybe Warcupine II will actually get to be a grenadier like his predecessor wanted to :P

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
lightbane said:
PS: Didn't this mod have an option that allowed enemies from the original x-com game to appear?

Originally yes, but this is the "Gold Edition" of the game, in which Bmans mod is integrated. As such, the original x-com enemies have been removed, but so far that seems to be the only option that's left out.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Azira said:
Drakron and Bee are promoted, I choose to focus on Bee's strength immediately, as it was rather poor and only let her carry two shields, which isn't exactly impressive. :roll: With her improves strength stat, this has changed drastically. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Last time we had just weathered a UFO swarm. In fact, we did better than simply weather it. We brought down the swarm leader and collected a meaty reward of 3.600.000$ and an auto-doc. :salute:
With all this cash, I immediately set to work on expanding our sphere of influence, and I do this by ordering the construction of two new interceptor bases.

With these new bases in Thermos and Media, there's only three territories left for us to expand to. And at our current rate, that shouldn't take too long. But have no fear, there will be plenty of money sinks, even after we've taken all the territory we can. :smug:

Of fighting, there is also plenty. As I remarked last time, this kind of mission result screen, sorely lacking in promotions, will become more commonplace as our soldiers become battle-hardened veterans.
It seems we're also succesfully peeving off the aliens.

Again they target Seathopia. They really don't like this, our first expansion base.

We take up positions just outside our transport, and rely on reaction fire to bring down the foe. This is not quite enough, as Ashery dies on us..

don__t_cry_by_photoImpact.jpg

The mission rating is still "well done!" however, and the rest of the team has no choice but continue the struggle against the alien agressors.

Bee and Lightbane continue their :incline:

Other battles go much more smoothly, and Drakron is turning into one lean laser-spitting killing machine, while Donaroriaks skills with grenades increases, almost as a response to losing Ashery. :salute:

Interrogation of the captured Vipon commander is concluded, and ever mindful of the warning korenzel gave, that more fearsome foes would appear once the research on plasma weaponry is finished, we stall for a while to prepare our troops better.

The second iteration of the Desmodus Rotundus clone-line comes along nicely. :salute:

Now we're talking! :incline: The pricetag is iffy however, and the suits take a while to produce, but not to be discouraged, a production line is assembled and 20 suits ordered. :salute:

Our researchers also posit that our combat efficiency will benefit if we can bring more soldiers into the field when doing recovery missions. To facilitate this, they come up with a schematic for a new type of transport, allowing us to bring 10 soldiers at a time, instead of the current 8. :thumbsup: We just need to pay the bill of 880.000$ and set our technicians on the task. That will have to wait until we've equipped our current soldiers with the new armour however.

More missions and more promotions. :smug: Desmodus Rotundus II goes from being excess luggage to useful in a few missions. :salute: Lightbane and Bee in particular are now downright deadly, and I will take care to try and protect them in battle, as replacing a veteran is much harder work than simply replacing a recruit or lowly private. :smug:

A new type of tank is developed. The most interesting result of finishing this research project isn't the tank however, but the promise of being able to produce better missile systems, further enhancing the efficiency of our interceptors.

One last recovered UFO and the month ends. Expenses are skyrocketing now that our researchers are at work 24/7, and the funds we're allocated by the coalition of Esperanza is hopelessly inadequate. We need to research the scavenged loot ASAP, so we can start selling it off.

The turn of the month also sees us finishing up a research project which should help protect against the paralyzing attacks of the hallucinoids. Unfortunately, these Mind Shields are expensive and bulky, plus they're not easy to produce, so even though a production line is assembled, it will take quite a while before everyone can be issued one, and I will need to take weight into consideration as well. :roll:

A new type of UFO appears!

And it goes straight for Seathopia.. They really don't like that base..
Ohwell, we ignore the base defense mission for now, as there are crashed UFOs to recover, and that type of mission only remains active for 2 days at most, while the base defense mission can hold up to 10 days..

We also take a closer look at the fighter type UFO. Bigger, meaner and faster. Yet still not much of a threat when facing multiple interceptors.

Desmodus Rotundus II has maxed out his shooting accuracy and starts focusing on reactions. :salute:

I will not be using the chemical rocket, as I dislike the rocket launcher. I find it too unwieldy. IIRC, the chemogun is a kind of flamethrower, just spewing a chemical cocktail instead. I might make a few of these, just for shits 'n giggles. :twisted:

Ah, an improved missile system for our interceptors! The weapons for the interceptors come in two varieties, the cannon and the missiles. When you develop better cannons, they invariably hold less ammo as they get stronger. This improved missile system however, still holds 4 warheads, and is as such a massive improvement on the existing system. :incline:

Having horsed around enough, I order the team to go defend Seathopia. As you can see, only 2 out of the 8 in the away team are in the old type of armour.

The results this time are much better. Drakron is becoming downright scary. :salute: 97 shooting accuracy and 98 reactions. Very much an :incline:

The Alien Berth is just loot to be sold off. But researching it unlocks this topic:

And I immediately order the construction of this building in our main base. This should lower the amount of time spent in recovery significantly. :incline:

Another cruiser appears!

... This is becoming a bit repetetive. They really, really don't like the Seathopia base it seems.

Our research continues unabated. These new labs look promising, and I order the construction of two such labs, where one of the hangars used to sit. We have to wait 25 days until they can be used however, so I keep the 5 normal labs up and running, aiming to dismantle 4 of them for 2 more advanced labs, once the initial two are finished.

Before doing the base defense mission, we recoved a scout size UFO for the loot. Donaroriak is shaping up to be a decent replacement for Ashery. :salute:

In the base defense mission, I again line up just inside the hangar and let the enemy come to me. Injuries are taken, but this tactic seems to work remarkably well. You might call this an exploit, but I'll take it. :roll:

Every time your turn starts, the game spouts an annoying message in flashing yellow at you. This ranks as the most annoying of them all..

Undeterred, our soldiers wrap up the mission. It turns out the injuries sustained were so minor that they do not require hospital attention. In addition, Pope Amole improves on his reaction fire. :salute:

This is the apogee of first aid technology. The advanced medikit. As far as I can tell, this is the same as the ordinary medikit with the single difference, that this one can heal a total of 70 hps lost, where the ordinary one has a capacity of 50. A bit disappointing, but at least the weight is the same, contrary to what the text leads you to believe. :roll:
Having outfitted 10 of our soldiers in the new Beekeeper armour, I finally give the researchers the go ahead, on plasma tech. They quickly turn out some results.

It seems that "Avonium" is the Elerium of Extraterrestrials. But unlike X-Com, Avonium isn't looted from salvage, but something we can apparently mine on Esperanza, and as such, is a non-issue for fuel and construction considerations. :decline:

The pistol and rifle are quickly researched, and it's apparent that they sport better damage, but at the tradeoff of poorer accuracy when compared to laser weaponry. The heavy laser is still our best weapon in the arsenal.
Another cruiser appears.

But before we can shoot it down, it initiates a terror mission. We've had one of those before, so I'm not terribly anxious. I am curious however, as to whether we'll be facing new enemies and more powerful weapons now that we've researched plasma weapons..

The enemies we face are all old acquintances. Chasers, larva, hallucinoids and vipons. We do encounter a single commander however, and as korenzel said, their "enemy spotted" icon is indeed circled in gold as you can see in the bottom right of this screenshot. The commander itself is obscured by the red stun-gas, and Donaroriak is preparing to lob a second stun grenade on its ugly green tail. :smug:

That's one smooth terror mission. Truthfully however, injuries were sustained, but we traded the auto-doc around, and that seems to have spared us a hospital trip for Bee and Black. :smug:

Reserch on the heavy plasma is concluded and results are a mixed. It does 15 more damage, but at 15 less accuracy, and it has no burst fire mode.. It does take less time units to fire however, so depending on how the other production projects pan out, we might make some. If new enemies with better weaponry appear before this, and we manage to capture some even better rifles, the heavy plasma might never be produced however.
We'll just have to wait and see. M:

Having researched the plasma pistols and rifles enables us to sell the excess weapons for massive profit (I had looted more than 100 of each in the missions so far), and construction of the last three possible bases is begun. :salute:

The surgery and our new ride are finished back at main base. It seems we're now almost as ready as we can be for the next tier of enemies. :smug:

The cruiser we recovered from the terror site is cracked open so we can study its composition. The cruisers are a real threat, especially as they sport a much more powerful weapon than the plasma-based ones that fighters and scouts have. The weapon the cruiser fires has a yellow colouration, and I expect we'll see hand-held weapons based on the same technology soon.

And what better way to round this update up with, than a look at the last monthly report. The equipment sales were amazing, due largely to selling off most of our plasma weaponry. I kept only 3 pistols and 20 rifles, and a stockpile of ammo for both. We haven't researched the plasma grenades yet, so there's more profit to be found there. And there's plenty of research projects yet untouched.
Now, how long until we encounter new, more deadly enemies? I don't know yet, as this is as far as I've played for now. But when we do, we might very well expect more casualties, or as a bare minimum, more sick-days due to injuries.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom