Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO Extraterrestrials - Finale

dextermorgan

Arcane
Azira said:
What, no more lust for glorious death? :roll: Now you want to deal death, not die trying?
If death is the price I have to pay in order to reduce aliens into fine red mist with a most powerful yet short range weapon then I pay it gladly.

However, since the damage output is superior in weapons with longer range then I don't really see the point. :(

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Glad to see I still haven't joined the corpse pile. Which I find interesting, cause every time I check back here I notice my name popping up on the 'injured' side of the combat report rather than the 'promotions' side.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry about the lack of updates. My daughter's been sick and I've been unable to play. I hope to remedy this in the coming week, as I'm going away next weekend, and will definitely not be able to play nor update then.
If all this fails however, I go on a 3 week vacation just after the weekend trip, which should provide me with enough spare time to complete this LP. M:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, I got to play, have 100 screenshots to sort through. New enemies will be appearing, and someone on our team died. :smug:

I hope to upload the update tomorrow. :salute:

dextermorgan

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
Wagering 50 KKKs that our point man bit the dust. Probably to an alien grenade.
Nah, he's wearing a jetpack and is supposedly highly resistant to grenades, as well as being immune to criticals. My bet is on Storyfag botching the Chem Gun field test.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Preachers and EEEW

I had originally planned to include screenshots of all the current soldiers with the total xp and aliens killed visible.
I decided against doing that right now, as this update will end just before we take on a new mission, and any roster I'd post would be outdated.

Instead, we start with a promotion.

Artricia maxes out her shooting accuracy and starts pumping reactions. Very handy for those base defense missions. :salute:

Interrogation of a vipon commander concludes, and the secrets of how the aliens power their ships is revealed. It's a hitherto undiscovered and highly unstable element! I wonder how they got that idea. :M

Flamethrowers aren't really effective as reaction fire weapons, but they do have a nice area of effect. :smug:

The Seathopia base is saved once again, and Artricia is promoted once again. :salute:

Another of the commanders divulges information on the attack on Earth. It seems our brave bros back on Earth did manage to spit the enemy in the face and blow up their fuel supply! :bro: :salute:

Meanwhile we crack the secret of the UFO engines, enabling the sale of more bits and pieces looted from crashed UFOs.

Canus is brought along for a mission, and bags a promotion. :salute:

This device is basically an upgraded jetpack. Everyone will get one of these eventually, but it'll take a while as you'll see later in this update.

Warcupine the third volounteered to pilot one of our new cyclops attack mechs! :salute: It has nice stats, but as any mechanical unit, it cannot improve on those stats. We'll use this as a forward scout and damage sponge later.. :smug:

Researching this piece of tech makes it sellable, and it unlocks research of the second-best interceptor. Odd, as we've alread researched the best one available, but I guess I'll let the tech-heads have a look at it all the same.

And this is what the Earth governments targetted with their nukes. :salute:
With the different UFO construction methods uncovered, we can finally research "project centaurus".

We now have the technical knowhow to produce our own space vessel! M:
This adds a new button in the base overview.

Pressing this button, we can see what parts we need to research and/or build for the centaurus spaceship.
To build such a spaceship however, we need to expand our workshop facilities.

Immediately, all but one of the smaller workshops are dismantled, and 4 advanced workshops are commissioned. It'll take 25 days before they are finished, and during this period, we'll hardly be producing anything new for our soldiers to carry into missions. We'll have to rely on our stockpiles of AKEW rifle mags and what we can scavenge off dead aliens.

The exterminator is inferior to the nightwolf in every regard. I still haven't figured out why the order of the interceptors is screwed up, especially considering this is the "Gold Edition", one would assume such bugs had been squashed, but whatever.. :roll:

Suddenly new enemies appear in a routine UFO recovery mission! This four-armed dude is called a preacher, and it fires a fire-based weapon which lays down an AOE if it hits a target on the ground. Yet another good reason to get our troops airborne. :salute:

The observer is a small combat robot which is worth a nice chunk of xp, but otherwise seem less of a threat than the preacher.

And finally we spot a vipon wielding an unknown type of weapon. Lucky for us, it's facing the wrong direction and taken down without incident. :salute:

Newbee racked in an impressive amount of xp from killing that observer and is promoted twice in a row! :salute:

:M

We've researched a groundbreaking new type of technology, the "EEEW" technology.. :roll:
Despite the silly name, this tech will turn out to be quite impressive.

Before research on the EEEW rifle can complete, we run a few more missions and see three promotions from a single mission! anus_pounder the third, Pope Amole and Desmodus Rotundus the second, I :salute: you!

In the very next mission, Canus and NewBee also receive well-earned promotions. :salute:

So, the EEEW rifle is superior to the AKEW rifle in all respects, and it shoots a blue blob instead of an orange blob. :incline: What's most important however is the fact that this tech we can loot from the battlefield, and as such we'll be less reliant on our techs to produce new ammo for us.

The new tech seems to have been researched just in time, as we encounter a new type of mechanical alien, that's quite resistant to our AKEW rifles..

First mission in which we encountered one of those tanks was without major incident however.

On the very next mission, we let Warcupine the third try out the new cyclops attack vehicle.

He spots a destroyer which Desmodus Rotundus the second brings low with a single round from an EEEW rifle! :smug:

Unfortunately, the cyclops is spotted off screen by a preacher, and Warcupine the third is cooked alive inside the mech. :salute:

Despite that loss, the mission is a succes, and NewBee continues her ascent. :salute:

Three new alien species are researched, and the first module for our spaceship.

Canus. :salute: (I'm running out of time trying to produce this update, have to be at work in 25 minutes, hence the shorter comments.)

Yet another mechanical enemy, barely visible in these shots. It's a "telemat". Can't say if it's dangerous, but being worth just 15xp, it's probably less of a threat than the observer.

On the other hand, being spotted is bad. It lets off-screen aliens take potshots at you, and one such shot from an EEEW rifle ends dextermorgans life abruptly. :salute: Fortunately, he enrolled in our cloning program, and his second will soon be brought online.

Forgot to take a screenshot of Canus promotion. :oops:

Lots of research projects are finished, I'd like to comment on the rocket. It does less damage than our previous rocket, but has a lot longer ranger, and much higher accuracy. Add to this that it's also faster to fire. :incline:

This battlecruiser was bound for the Seathopia base intent on retaliation. We managed to bring it down, and this is where this update ends. :smug:
Oh, and it seems I lied to you. Two of our team died, not just one. dextermorgan and Warcupine the third both joined the ranks of our honoured dead. M:

The Thin Man

Novice
The Thin Man thirsts for alien blood!!

He is also getting severely dehydrated jerking off in the barracks with all the free time he's had.

Canus

Savant
Canus continues his meteoric rise to the top. Hopefully he goes far before he burns up.

lightbane

Arcane
This continues to be enjoyable... Too bad that you're close to the end...

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Desmodus Rotundus said:
is staff sargeant the highest rank possible?

IIRC, no. It just takes progressively more xp to gain promotions, and noone seems to've earned enough for the next rank yet. I could've lowered the amount of xp required to get promotions when I started the game, but I kept it at the normal rate.

I have no idea what the maximum rank is however.

Drakron

Arcane
Azira said:
I have no idea what the maximum rank is however.

Rank - Experience Needed
Rookie - 0
Private - 15 +/-15
Private First Class - 35 +/-37
Corporal - 65 +/-49
Corporal First Class - 110 +/-66
Sergeant - 171 +/-91
Sergeant First Class - 260 +/-129
Staff Sergeant - 530 +/-196
Warrant Officer - 1100 +/-271
Lieutenant - 1880 +/-399
Captain - 3060 +/-592
Colonel - 5200 +/-880

eklektyk

Erudite
Azira said:
I just updated the roster. :smug:

:goes to see wats the big buzz about: ...

Anoucment Board said:
Current roster:
Code:

Total soldiers enlisted 18/20, current free spots: 2

Warrant Officers:
Eklektyk

well...now Im a weebit nervous about upcoming missions ..... :M

ps.Bumpan coz nobody was eager to do ITz.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've got the screenshots ready for the next update, I need to upload them and write in the text though, and I don't think I'll manage that today. Tomorrow possibly, if not, then tuesday. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Welcome back to the planet of Esperanza.

It's been a while, but the aliens haven't forgotten about us. We left off just prior to a recovery mission, going for a crashed battlecruiser.
It took me a while, as I played this mission slowly and carefully as opposed to just rushing in headlong and getting everyone killed. :roll:

Despite this caution, two of our soldiers took wounds. 5 soldiers were promoted however, marking this as one of our best missions in a long time. :smug:

Draco, Lightbane, Artricia, NewBee and Eklektyk are all promoted. Eklektyk to the esteemed rank of Warrant Officer! :incline: :salute:
Once this mission was finished, we experienced a period of relative peace on Esperanza, allowing our researchers to dig in and try and impress us.

Inferno tech promises new methods of incinerating our enemies. :smug:
It won't mean new aircraft weapons however, so we'll have to be content with crisping the xenos with handheld weaponry. M:

Mhmmm.. Death in a handy package. We will be making these shortly. :incline:
When I said it was relatively peaceful, that doesn't mean the aliens had lost all interest in us. Especially not our Seathopia base..

Misc-Rolleyes.jpg

Undaunted, our researchers put the finishing touches on two more spaceship components. I will start building these as soon as I'm content with the loadout of our response team. Which will probably not be for a couple more months. :M

Seathopia is retaken, and The Thin Man II is promoted. :salute:

This little sucker provides 4 times the protection of the basic shield, yet only weighs 60% more. We'll need to make a bunch of these ASAP. :love:

And I really should have wrapped up research on this Telemat as quickly as was humanly possible, as finishing this research project opened up a better armour! :incline: We will need to research it before we can build it, but I suspec the Waspkeeper will be much, much better than the Beekeeper.

Before we do anything however, the end of the month is upon us. We're doing well, but we need to take into account that we haven't built anything of note in our workshops for most of September 2108, as we're waiting for the advanced workshops to be finished.

Hm. I misremembered. This is the retaking Seathopia mission.. No matter, it was relatively easily done, and we got three promotions. Kudos to The Thin Man II, Artricia and Newbee! :salute:

As expected, the Waspkeeper is really promising. We immediately start building 20 of these. :love:

More 'splosives are researched. The EEEW grenades are never found but can be produced. The stasis grenades however are found and can therefore be looted. I see no sensible reason to start production of the EEEW grenades, and I immediately arm our grenadiers with some stasis grenades. :smug:

A better chemical grenade is developed, but the "advanced chemical warfare" research topic that was unlocked has me waiting before I commission more chemical grenades. Possibly there's an even more powerful iteration to be had. :M

Rockets. They look pretty, but I'm not going to bother. M:

You'd think this would be a prerequisite to any and all rooms designed for the centaurus spaceship, wouldn't you? Never mind, it's been developed, and now we can make sure the centaurus doesn't collapse the first time a micro-meteorite impacts on it. :roll:

A UFO scout is shot down and recovered, and Canus is promoted. :salute:

smug.jpg

Oh, how I've waited for this message. :thumbsup:

The tech team improves on the stasis grenade by fitting a proximity sensor and boosting the blast damage. :incline:

Here we see Eklektyk, fitted with the first Waspkeeper suit, and his jetpack replaced by the personal antigravity device. Massive :incline:

We need to start making these, as the preacher mental assault seems quite more potent than that of the hallucinoid. It's quite annoying, not to say potentially lethal, to have your point men freeze in their tracks..

We ramp up the chemical warfare. :smug: I'm quite happy with my decision not to start production of the chemical grenade mark II. :M

What happened here was that The Thin Man II spotted an alien, shot it twice with an EEEW rifle yet failed to kill it, then was killed in return by the reaction fire. :decline: Shot and killed by a chaser.
10-son-i-am-disappoint.gif

I just hope the third iteration of The Thin Man line does better..

This armour I won't be producing. It is only marginally better against mechanical damage (100 compared to 90) and decidedly worse against fire and chemical. I don't see the point of this armour to be blunt..

The stun grenade mark II does indeed boast twice the stopping power of the mark I. :incline: A production line is started immediately.
Now, we take a look at the current roster.

DamnedRegistrations is a regular on the team. His skill with grenades is valued, but it's his amount of timeunits that buys him a place in the aircraft. He can run ahead, spot the enemies, then run back to safety while the rest of the team snipes the baddies. Cheap, but effective. When that's said though, he's still killed 39 aliens with his grenades. :salute:

korenzel is our second grenadier and carries the important alien life-detector. This device marks all hostiles on the minimap, lessening the risk of falling into an ambush. korenzel also boasts an impressive amounts of timeunits (actionpoints), and has racked up an impressive 62 kills. :salute:

Lightbane has a relatively poor maximum shooting accuracy of 91, and a similar reaction score, which is why I haven't used him more. Still, 23 kills is not to be sneezed at. :salute:

Draco hasn't reached his maximum shooting accuracy yet and only boasts 3 kills. His poor strength does not allow him to carry any shields at all into missions. He can just hope to get enough xp to boost his accuracy to the maximum, then build his strength a bit. :salute:

anus_pounder the third has a very nice shooting accuracy and reaction score both. Despite only having participated in a relatively low number of missions, she has 17 kills to her name. :salute:

Artricia. 96 shooting, 97 reactions. 13 kills. Oddly, it pays to be a latecomer, as I only hire soldiers that come with already decent scores, meaning they have higher potential end-scores. :salute:

Storyfag. 93 shooting accuracy, 92 reactions. Not too impressive scores, yet he's managed not to die yet, and has racked up 76 kills! :salute:

Drakron. 97 accuracy, 98 reactions. 82 kills. He's a machine, and he's been issued a Waspkeeper suit. :salute:

Desmodus Rotundus the second. 96/99, yet only 43 kills. He's also a latecomer, but he's a regular on the team now with those stats. :salute:

Canus has 99 shooting accuracy, and his reaction score is yet not maxed out. 9 kills, but that's bound to change rapidly. :salute:

NewBee, 97/96. 26 kills. She's managed to bring down an impressive amount of enemies in a very short time and has a decent amount of timeunits to boost, so she's one of the front-line people and have been issued with one of our auto-docs and an eternal personal shield. :salute:

Eklektyk. 97/96. 103 kills. His last promotion saw him improving on his timeunits, which were his only weak point. This is the soldier our rookies aspire to emulate. Like NewBee, he has an eternal shield and an autodoc, but he also has the teams first personal anti-gravity device, and the distortion field making him 25% less likely to be hit by enemy fire. We take care of our valued personnel. :salute:

Black only boasts an 88 on accuracy, meaning he's left off the plane if anyone with better accuracy is available. Yet, he's managed to kill 69 aliens so far, a fact that demands respect. :salute:

dextermorgan the third is a fresh rookie. We have yet to see him in action and his potential is so far unknown. I expect him to potentially be a better shot than Black, the question is if he'll live to prove this. :salute:

Pope Amole. 93/88, 20 kills. I admit I haven't been using the Pope as much as I could have. His sub-par reactions is part of the explanation. For much of the first part of the game, he was the one lugging around the rocket-launcher, which also accounts for some of the explanation. Yet, his services merit respect. :salute:

Donaroriak, one of our grenadiers. He's still carrying around chemical grenades, as we've yet to recover enough stasis grenades to fully equip 3 grenadiers. Also, I find that with our current tech-level, 2 grenadiers is enough, so Donaroriak has been spending quite a bit of time in RR. Still, 7 kills. :salute:

Sov. Worthless piece of .... Insisting on being a pacificist, he's only issued with stun weaponry. The 1 kill he has isn't a true kill. It was a stunned chaser. Once we have a stockpile of mark 2 stun grenades, I might bring him along. Then again, I might not. :M
Yet, I won't have him feel completely left out, so this is for you :salute:

Finally, the third iteration of The Thin Man line. He has a nice base accuracy of 45, promising to improve nicely. And base strength and reactions are also impressive. He will be given a chance to prove his worth. :salute:

You may have noticed that I've issued EEEW rifles to all ranged attackers. With the new workshops online, we have no problem producing the ammo, and the extra damage potential is sorely needed when facing trilobytes. And since we're also looting more rifles in almost every mission, I saw no reason to stint. :smug:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
There is one thing I simply fail to grasp. What is the purpose of building the Centaurus? Have I missed an update indicating that we need to construct this thing or something? What is this huge explorator vessel's predicted contribution to the war effort?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The purpose of building it is that we need to assault the alien mothership, which is currently in one of the Lagrange points of Esperanza. Without a proper space-going vessel, we could never reach it.

At least, that's how I understood it. :M

eklektyk

Erudite
mmmhmm another update.....

Azira said:
Eklektyk. 97/96. 103 kills. His last promotion saw him improving on his timeunits, which were his only weak point. This is the soldier our rookies aspire to emulate. Like NewBee, he has an eternal shield and an autodoc, but he also has the teams first personal anti-gravity device, and the distortion field making him 25% less likely to be hit by enemy fire. We take care of our valued personnel. :salute:

well.. now I need to watch my back... gee thanks :D

but with so much new toys level of deaths on missions will drop, right?? :M

And as always So Much Thanks For Awesome Command And Control [ie.:SMTFAC&C], Commander! :salute:

Canus

Savant
If one of my brave and valiant colleges were to have a sudden and irreversible case of death would that sweet, sweet equipment filter down to the lower ranks?
Not that I advocate a mass slaughter in order to improve my own chances of survival. No sir-e-bob.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
All equipment except for armour can be recovered from dead soldiers. I plan to make enough of everything for even the greenest rookie to be issued it though. The Waspkeeper armour is costly in time to produce however, 70 technicians working around the clock takes 1 day and 12 hours to produce a single suit.. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom