Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's official: Dead State (almost) Vapourware

MCA
It has become apparent that a lot of people want Dead State and they want it now. So far we’ve been able to accomplish a lot with our small team, but in order to get the game done in a more timely fashion, it’s apparent that we’re going to have to at least start considering some new additions to help us get Dead State to the marketplace.

So, here’s the pitch – are you a modder looking to work on an original title? Are you new to the game industry and looking to get professional credit on your resume? Are you an experienced game developer looking to work on a zombie RPG in your spare time because you’ve always wanted to play one? We are looking for folks like you.

Now, a few things about the project. We have very little funding – work on the project ranges from contribution for credit in the game to payment after the project comes out (for the long-term members of the team). This is not likely to change, so this is NOT a full-time job with a salary, though if the game does well enough (and we like your work) it could lead to paid work on future projects.

We’re not expecting full-time hours – attitude, efficiency, and reliability are key. We’re looking for team members that can complete tasks they’ve agreed to take on within a reasonable amount of time and communicate their progress to the leads. Professional discretion about your work is expected. Working well with the team is a must.   

For programmers:
We are primarily looking for someone with game programming/scripting background. Knowledge of Torque 3D and TorqueScript is highly preferable. You will be working with the Lead Programmer and Project Lead on most of your tasks.

Tools Programmer - Developing tools to make implementation of content easier. GUI work a big plus.

Examples of tool duties:
-Script Editor
-Journal Editor
-Loot Container tool
-Art implementation and lighting tools

Scripting Programmer - The scripting programmer uses the engine's scripting language to create scripts for dialogue (a lot of these), for events/event triggers, time passage, tracking stats, and bark text.

Examples of Scripting:
-Global dialogue flags
-Combat triggers
-Quest update triggers
-Scene triggers
-XP/item rewards

Art:
We do not have any actual art positions right now. If you are an outstanding modeler or texture artist that would like to contribute items to the game for fun and credit, we may make an exception. Note that we already have most common props and textures done already, so you may want to talk to our lead artist about what we are lacking currently.

Design:
We are not looking for additional designers or writers right now.

Sound/Music:
We are not looking for sound/music people at this time. We will update this page if this changes.

If you’re interested in working with us or contributing, please send your qualifications, links to your work, an introduction, and any questions you may have to:

info@DoubleBearProductions.com

We will try get back to you as soon as possible. If you know people who might be a good fit, please send them a link to this thread.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 268.0.html

That's a lot of help they seek.

MisterStone

Arcane
Of course, of course, they've got money to spend on hiring programmers and artists, so that must mean the project is dead. :retarded:

Read the post asshole, they said they want to get it done faster. Because there's a big market for zombie stuff right now, and a lot of hype about this game. They get the game out sooner, it sells better. Duh.

Edit the thread title, asswipe.

zool

Arcane
Fuck you, the thread's title almost gave me a heart attack. I don't think I've been this excited about a game since... um, well actually, I don't remember having ever been so excited about a game. Every little bit I've read and seen about Dead State so far seems to indicate it's going to be awesome (except maybe for the character pictures, the art style is a little lacking there IMO).

Oh, and

MisterStone said:
Edit the thread title, asswipe.

MCA
Read the title, asswipe: ... (almost) ...

What's wrong MisterStone? Why can't you read? Why the double standards? Why the... butthurt? :smug:

It's a perfectly valid concern. It's not like they are looking for people to help with just a couple things to give a "little speed bump". It's more like they are looking for an entire fucking assembly of developers to help with... well, the entire fucking game from art implementation to scripting to editors.

And the cutest thing is that how he kind of makes it sound like "it's only that a lot of other people want Dead State and they want it now, so ...".

I get that they are indie and all that, nothing wrong with it but, honestly? If this kind of thing came from anybody else, entire Codex (of yore) would be tearing it down and slinging shit at it with rabid enthusiasm for the way this sounds has absolutely no difference than mod project #3461274.

And FFS, develop some sense of humour instead of scratching your butthurt :smug:

Nevertheless, I expect butthurtitude to go off the charts in the coming hours heh-heh-heh!

Multi-headed Cow

MisterStone said:
Of course, of course, they've got money to spend on hiring programmers and artists, so that must mean the project is dead. :retarded:
Actually they pretty clearly don't have money to be hiring people. Read it again, your payment comes in grim satisfaction unless you're a long time member of the project.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Doesn't worry me much, I always assume those games are vaporware until proven otherwise.

Also, vots gets bonus XP for posting in character.

Mortmal

Arcane
Vots is the herald of bad news, none like those heralds, but to be true, when i look on that list i thought they really ask for a lot of help.
So far they only have a design doc and few nice 3D renders ? A few guys working full time on other jobs and sometimes dedicating a few hours a week on their project?
With a bit a luck they may, may, find another guy to do the scripting, a few hours a week for free. If they dont give up "for real life issues " TM , you can expect the game in 5-6 years .Sounds like dream indie team forget games making include dirty things like scripting.No really its sound like that cylcopean game , at least the guy had the honesty to say he only had a few ideas on paper.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Shame they don't seek modelers or 2d artists. I think I'll look at Torque engines framework and maybe give it a shot.

Morkar Left

As I read the newspost here on the frontside I thought exactly the same: It's vapourware now...

On the other hand I consider every indygame vapourware before it is released. That's because the most are exactly that.

But it isn't surprising they ask for the help of everybody who can contribute to the project. I mean, would they decline the help of a good artist just because they were looking for a scripter? If the artist is good, they will have or find something to do for him. It's more of a restriction to cut out every idiot saying he would like to betatest or write stories.

MCA
I agree. Look at AoD; the current portraits were a complete surprise and came out of nowhere. If VD had made a call for all artists, it might have become an unmanageable mess.

The only reason this game is giving me hope and I'm cutting it a slack is because it's Brian and Annie's baby, ie. people who actually did and do work in the industry professionally, that there's no dispute over their talents proven by past work and that they're backed up by VD & co (even if the latter have yet to release AoD). If one were to be unaware of these points, one could easily write them off as wishy washy mod project #34231.

Jaesun said:
This is why nobody like you at all villain of the story.

Please back up that claim with substantial evidence, sir. I'm under the rightful impression that I'm a very sympathetic person. I don't hide behind words either and have provided photographic evidence of my likeability too. You have two days to come up with said evidence before I declare you a fraud.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I have much respect for Mitsoda because he's living the dream being unemployed working on Dead State full-time while his wife ("stolen" from her previous husband) supports him. And now he's likely going to get quite a few people working for him for free. "Alpha as fuck" I believe they call this state of being.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not like the game has been in development for ten years. It's been... what... one and a half, two at max? Yea, totally vapor ware~

Destroid

Arcane
I'm thinking it's going to be tough as hell to find someone willing to do tools programming for free.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
eh perhaps this is a 'lets see if anyone wants to do freebies to get something on their resume also lets beat AoD to release ahahahahaaa'

but then again we're all cynics here so DEAD STATE IS IN STATE OF DEAD

that aside it's always a shame that a promising project like this needs help and the call of duty franchise team is what, 200 people

Destroid

Arcane
Isn't it part of USA business culture that young workers do internernships for free? Or even pay to work at a business?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually these are just two positions, about what are you talking about?

The tool programmer is actually quite standard.
The -XP/item rewards however looks like quite a bit of screw up because they have quite influence on the gameplay and someone that doesn't have right to alter design shouldn't mess with them. Hiring someone who would have it's strong influence on project in the middle of project is quite bad idea.

I doubt they'd have much of speed up, because they would need a long acclimatization even when they would have experience in the game industry.

Note that we already have most common props and textures done already, so you may want to talk to our lead artist about what we are lacking currently.
They are actually quite on the schedule, from the above quote.

The most efficient way to do -XP/item rewards is to do it programatically. A simple method that would create proper items depending on the opponent is the simplest way. Then you create exceptions for specific opponents...

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Surf Solar said:
Shame they don't seek modelers or 2d artists. I think I'll look at Torque engines framework and maybe give it a shot.

You already know my mail if you want to contribute. I'm still waiting for those sounds, though :P

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Elhoim said:
Surf Solar said:

You already know my mail if you want to contribute. I'm still waiting for those sounds, though :P

Yeah you've been too quick with finding other (admittely more talented guys) so my motivation sank a bit. ;D I will upload thouse sounds regardless, want to make some bigger soundlibrary.

What I don't get - is it just YET that you start to write some convenient tools to use? Isn't that like, something which should be done first, let alone mostly comes with the engine? :o Or has it some hooks and new feautures the standard engine tools don't posess? On first glance to the engine I had a couple of months ago, I really liked that dialogue tool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom