Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Tower of Myraglen! (Done! With multiple endings!)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Floor 4 + a video!

(I'm aware no one watches LP videos on the Codex, but still, I've recorded a brief vid for this update showing off the shifting tile puzzle.)

tower_of_myraglen_level_4.png

Floor 4 is relatively large, but we won't be exploring it all just now: the second half of it is beyond our possibilities at the moment. That doesn't, however, mean we'll be just making a bee-line for the exit to floor 5 -- no, we have puzzles to solve and treasure to grab as well.

04myraglen01.png

All right, let's see what "games" this level has in store for us.

colourpuzzle.gif

We stumble on the first puzzle right in the next area. It's a shifting tile puzzle: the tiles switch colour from black to white, and vice versa, all the time. Black tiles are harmful, white tiles are safe. If you look at the map, you can see our destination: the small safe area two screens to the north. So we must make our way there without getting harmed; luckily, there's a narrow safe corridor we can get to and follow.

I've recorded the solution to the puzzle as a video, in case you're interested:

emot-siren.gif
Let's watch -- Tower of Myraglen, Poseidon Puzzle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYohZyoDCI8
emot-siren.gif

If we stepped on a black square, we'd lose some HP:

04myraglen30.png

It isn't too hard to avoid that, though, as you can see in the video.

04myraglen31.png

04myraglen32.png

We make our way to the safe corridor and head north.

04myraglen34.png

04myraglen36.png

And we're almost there! The throne in the centre of the screen is the Throne of the Gods, which we can activate because we're carrying the Poseidon statue we obtained earlier:

04myraglen38.png

"You are so kind. Thank you very much for bringing the power of Poseidon back to this throne of the gods. For so long Poseidon has not come here; it has been too hot. Now you have revived my defense against the scorching force of hell fire. For equal trade, I give you a ring that will allow you to resist the horrible fiery force. Thank you very much."

04myraglen42.png

Our HP drastically increases (the precise amount of HP you receive here seems to be random) and we receive the ring of protection against fire.

04myraglen43.png

We can sit back on the throne, but nothing else happens.

04myraglen44.png

With the ring of fire resistance, we mustn't fear the lava tiles any more! We must, however, still beware the black squares.

04myraglen46.png

We return to the southern intersection and head west...

04myraglen49.png

...greeted by rats and angry birds there!

Axebeak: This terrible bird-like creature seems to have been a throw-back from the prehistoric era. It is a lizard with a huge beak, a beak it happily uses to puncture its intended victim's skull.

04myraglen52.png

We lose ca. 150 HP, alas, then grab some gold from inside the chests and proceed north.

04myraglen54.png

This... doesn't look good, at all.

Lizard, Giant: These creatures seem to be comprised of tremendous jaws and a body to carry them. One bite can remove the side of a man. Be careful of these creatures, they are extremely deadly.

04myraglen56.png

Extremely deadly indeed... more than a thousand HP lost. :/

04myraglen57.png

04myraglen58.png

But then a stroke of luck came my way! No, I didn't even have to reload.
:thumbsup:

04myraglen61.png

All the way back to the beginning of the Poseidon puzzle, and then east.

04myraglen62.png

Luckily, the scary multi-headed green bastard can't hit us from where it is. We hurry north.

04myraglen63.png

More lizard shitheads; this time I manage to be more efficient in slaying them, and lose only ~300 HP.

04myraglen66.png

The chest contains nothing but some gold. Onwards, to more danger!

04myraglen67.png

This room's nasty trick is that it contains not just the centipedes, which wouldn't be too much of a trouble... but also the invisible enemies, Unseen Force!

Unseen Force: These creatures are not invisible, as their name suggests. They are rather like a blanket; when they move over other objects, such as chests, they make them invisible. They can usually be found by the displacement of things around them.

Still, we have to make our way through the room if we are to make progress, so we quickly slay the centipedes and run through the next door so as not to take too much damage from the Unseen Force.

04myraglen69.png

Ca. 450 damage taken anyway. :/ And more enemies incoming!

04myraglen71.png

I lose more than 500 HP, but then discover a strength potion inside one of the chests to somewhat balance things out.

04myraglen73.png

Anyway, to the northeast I go.

04myraglen77.png

04myraglen80.png

Three centipedes in here that I destroy and then replenish some HP.

(As a side note, I must admit I'm enjoying the funny text messages. Must be an Ultima-whore hiding deep inside of me.)

The remaining areas of floor 4 are not in my power to handle at this point, so I return to the previous screen and head north.

04myraglen82.png

This is very, very nasty. Two ghosts (one of them not pictured above), three skeletons and a god-damned axe-wielding demon!

Demon: These creatures are among the most deadly known to man. They wield huge axes and throw balls of fire at their opponents. Their accuracy in combat is unmatched by any mortal.

04myraglen84.png

More than a thousand HP gone to waste!
emot-argh.gif

We couldn't have avoided this room, though, and... see that coffin? Coffins are basically über-treasure chests in Tower of Myraglen.

04myraglen87.png

Not bad, huh? Gold isn't useless, by the way. We'll find a use for it a bit further down the road.

04myraglen88.png

We leave exploring the rest of level 4 for later and climb up to level 5...

Erebus

Arcane
There's quite a variety of enemies ! I don't suppose there are any practical differences between them aside from their resistance, the damages they inflict and whether or not they can make ranged attacks ?

lightbane

Arcane
04myraglen62.png

That multi-tentacled creature must be the ancestor of the fabled Multi-Headed Dickus.

spekkio

Arcane
Jesus. Imagine the times when 2-3 guys were able to create a computer game good enough to be enjoyed by hundreds / thousands of people.

Mass market sucks fucking bollocks. :(

Kz3r0

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
(I'm aware no one watches LP videos on the Codex, but still, I've recorded a brief vid for this update showing off the shifting tile puzzle.)
I watched it, just to let you know, don't do it too often tho. :M

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Erebus said:
There's quite a variety of enemies ! I don't suppose there are any practical differences between them aside from their resistance, the damages they inflict and whether or not they can make ranged attacks ?

No, not really. Like you said, it's just mostly how tough they are, whether or not they hurl great balls of fire at you, etc. They also seem to have different speed/attack rate. Some of them are also invisible. :)

Basically, it all boils down to whether these particular enemies are too tough for you at this point or you can already handle them. The number of chests they're guarding is an important factor too. :P

Still, I appreciate the effort in introducing enemy variety, otherwise the game wouldn't look as fun at least. Plus, many enemies are really nasty.

Kz3r0 said:
Crooked Bee said:
I watched it, just to let you know, don't do it too often tho. :M

:love:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Floor 5

And so, through a lot of trials and tribulations, we've made it to level 5 of the tower.

tower_of_myraglen_level_5.png

As soon as we step off the staircase, an evil vision appears!

05myraglen002.png

"With the forge of Satan this level hath been wrought. And through its heat thou shalt die a most hideous death! I am filled with hatred for the likes of you. Before you were safe from my wrath, but now I rule... and the old fool is only a weak pathetic voice. Of course, that's all he ever was... a mere childish fool babbling about his naive dreams. Your only hope is for me to take pity... but I am not affected by such impracticality. Poor luck, child!"

The above villainous speech gives us an extremely important clue: from now on, we can only trust the weak voice, not the loud one. Disregarding that simple fact can lead to disastrous consequences on the next, sixth floor, as we'll see in the next update.

And a vision of Mendalick appears as we take the next step:

05myraglen010.png

As he struggles to stand upon his staff, he attempts to speak clearly. Unable to do so, he begins to say his words with a raspy voice, "I am much weaker here. My skill is lost to the dark side. Here I am not the good mage Mendalick. I am rather Ernton Von Todsfall, the distant relation of Unheilig Gottos-Teufel :)roll:).

Every man has a dark side... Each man carries with him desires, and his evil heart. Most men are fairly balanced. I was not at equilibrium when I lived. I was too good, so good that I could not see myself killing anything, evil or not. I believed that one must cut off a limb, if he intends to prevent the spread of an infection. I cut off my dark side, locking it here and beyond. I warn you. He is very willing to kill his opponents!" The apparition fades...

So the evil apparition is in fact Mendalick's dark side... Makes sense, I guess.

05myraglen021.png

Looks like someone's about to bring EXTERMINATUS unto our hapless hero. :roll:

We get insulted as we reach the next screen:

05myraglen022.png

"Answer a riddle true I ask of you, and perhaps I will not make your body into glue. A creature of your world that spins reality into dreams, and puts hope in the hands of the forgotten. This creature also paints the image of death and slaughter so well, that a man may even cry from its force. What is the title of such a beast?"

05myraglen027.png

The answer is, surprisingly enough, KING.

05myraglen028.png

And we can now proceed safely to the south. :M

05myraglen031.png

There is in a fact a secret door here which we can use to reach the chests:

05myraglen032.png

We slay one of the reptiles, but they're kinda tough, so we run away from the remaining two.

05myraglen034.png

The next room has a bunch of skeletons, and a secret passage we can use to reach all those nice little chests.

One of them contains a strength potions, which is always a good thing.

05myraglen041.png

Scary! Let's see what lies behind the eastern door.

05myraglen044.png

Crooked wasps! Run away!

No really, those four treasure chests aren't worth all the stinging. So let's go south instead.

05myraglen046.png

The slimes are harmless, as you may remember, but quite resistant and take some time to kill.

The area to the right has...

05myraglen049.png

...Mimics, or Guisers! Horrible creatures. A strength potion we find compensates us for the damage, tho'.

05myraglen054.png

Those coffins are exploding traps. No way we should come near them, even with the ring of fire resistance equipped.

05myraglen056.png

The room to the east welcomes us with a few mud men. Nothing our halberd can't get us through.

05myraglen061.png

And here's the point where all the previously useless gold we've been hoarding becomes useful!

"Give here," says the faint voice. And so we give.

We have 54827 gold pieces, so let's give...

05myraglen064.png

...say, 50,000!

05myraglen066.png

Look at all the HP we have now! Apparently, 1 HP costs 10 gold. (If only charity really worked that way...)

We exit the room with the brazier and head west.

05myraglen070.png

Goddamn snakes. We only need to slay one of them at the moment, thankfully.

05myraglen072.png

There's some gold inside the chests, but more importantly, there's a hidden passage right behind it.

05myraglen075.png

As you can judge by the way our HP diminishes, we're being attacked by the Unseen Force again. We can perfectly handle them, though.

We backtrack, slay the remaining snakes, and enter the room with the coffins:

05myraglen086.png

The demon is... gone? :? Truth be told, I've no idea why. A glitch maybe?

Anyway, that's a plus in my book. We can now loot all those wonderful coffins!

05myraglen090.png

Oooh, Magic Chain Mail! Our armour rating has now inclined greatly.

We head back to the brazier and trade the gold we've collected for 2500 more HP. Feels good!

05myraglen097.png

Then we backtrack and go through another secret passage.

05myraglen100.png

Only to reach the stairs up to level 6! Some really nasty stuff awaits us there...

lightbane

Arcane
Every man has a dark side... Each man carries with him desires, and his evil heart. Most men are fairly balanced. I was not at equilibrium when I lived. I was too good, so good that I could not see myself killing anything, evil or not...

That's why Lawful Good Paladins are not realistic nor playable in settings with gray morality.

05myraglen034.png

The evil voice starts to sound like a Prosper's clone.

Erebus

Arcane
05myraglen027.png

I guess it makes some sort of sense, but it's still far from an obvious answer.

It's a nice change for the evil side to be dominant on this level.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
:salute:

Interestingly heavy levels. So I suppose some backtracking when you're tougher will be in order?

And is that the only thing to spend money on? I'll guess we'll see later. p good return though.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Floor 6

tower_of_myraglen_level_6.png

Level six contains what is probably the meanest puzzle so far, as well as two trap rooms, as well as another interesting twist subverting the usual RPG expectations.

06myraglen002.png

We start in a room with two wooden doors, an open gate leading north, as well as two hidden passages. We first take the western one.

06myraglen004.png

Had the taken the wooden door into this area, by the way, we would've been crushed by the stone block above. :P

06myraglen005.png

Anyway, we discover a Magic Axe inside one of the coffins, meaning not only our armour, but our weapon is now magical as well. A great incline, that.

To the north is the exit to floor 7, but we shouldn't take it just yet.

06myraglen010.png

Next we return to the starting area and head east through another secret door.

06myraglen013.png

You have found the fabled Medallion Of Soul Stealing! You only have but to return to your world... to leave the Tower Of Myraglen. One sad thing, though, still remains -- you don't know how to use the medallion.

That's right, folks. We've found the mcguffin, even though it's only level six (out of ten). You didn't really expect that, did you?

The catch being, we have no idea how to use it yet.

06myraglen021.png

In the room to the east, not only is the voice mocking us, there are also three nasty Gargoyles and no loot, so we better just run away.

06myraglen024.png

We backtrack to the starting area and go through the eastern wooden door this time, getting a nice pointless message along the way.

06myraglen029.png

We reach a dead end, and there's really nothing to do here.

Back at the starting place, we head north through the gate.

06myraglen034.png

Fire-breathing bugs!

Fire Beetle: These creatures are unusually hard to kill due to their hard shells. They are also unusually dangerous because they breathe bursts of fire. It has been noted that they cannot continuously breathe these fiery balls for any length of time. You could use this to your advantage by waiting until they cannot breathe such fire for a while.

Good things we have magic armour and weapon equipped. The beetles barely scratch us at all.

06myraglen037.png

Note that the loud, i.e., evil, voice exclaims it rewards us with a gift. The gift is located inside that chest. Since the voice is evil, we should just disregard the chest and the "gift". Let us, however, open the chest for the sake of experiment:

06myraglen040.png

Immune, you say?..

The wickedness of this puzzle is, if you save the game after taking the scarab, you're screwed. Like, really screwed. As in, you'd have to restart the game.

Why?

06myraglen045.png

Well, let's try going up to floor 7 with the scarab in our inventory.

06myraglen048.png

A voice yells in victory, "The scarab protects the Tower's soul, not yours!"

scarab.gif

Not exactly good, isn't it?

06myraglen077.png

So fuck this "gift", I'm going north.

06myraglen080.png

Another crossroads, but of course.

To the east is another trap room, kind of similar to the lava room back on floor one:

06myraglen083.png

Except you don't die when entering it -- it's just that there's no escape from here. Reloading.

06myraglen088.png

The northern room contains some humanoids, rats...

06myraglen091.png

...as well as the Unseen Force. You can press V to view the surrounding monsters, by the way, which helps a lot when those are invisible.

06myraglen097.png

We don't find any new magic weapons or armour inside the coffins, alas; a strength potion will have to do.

06myraglen102.png

It only remains to explore the western room.

06myraglen104.png

Not lookin' good.

To add insult on top of injury, the balls of fire that the hell hounds breathe tend to destroy the coffins and chests that get in the way! Therefore, we must manoeuvre around the battlefield so that at least most of the coffins remain intact. Otherwise, there'd be nothing for us to loot once the battle is over.

06myraglen105.png

The battle costs us more than 1500 HP, and the chests are destroyed, but we've managed to save all the coffins but one, and the gold inside the remaining ones should compensate us for the damage we took.

06myraglen114.png

We've cleared floor 6, but now it's time to revisit some of the areas that were previously too tough for us on the earlier levels of the tower.

06myraglen118.png

Naturally, we head to the brazier on level 5 to replenish our HP first.

06myraglen130.png

The only area it is vital for us to explore is that room full of water elementals back on level three.

06myraglen132.png

We are now well-equipped enough to take them on.

06myraglen135.png

Note how some of the water tiles disappear as we defeat the bastards.

06myraglen137.png

Inside the chest, there's a jeweled gold key we're going to need later.

06myraglen147.png

We can also battle some of the tougher enemies on level four, even if that's pointless since there's no crucial loot to be found here.

06myraglen151.png

06myraglen155.png

The room to the north has some chests.

06myraglen158.png

It is, however, guarded by the Unseen Force, so the gold we find doesn't make up for the damage we take. Well, whatever. We've got plenty of HP to spare.

06myraglen162.png

And now, still on level four, we're heading towards the toughest encounter in the game. An encounter we cannot win even at this point. Note that the text message tells us just that.

06myraglen165.png

It's an encounter against an Indescribable Beast. Yes, it's the multi-headed monster we saw earlier.

Indescribable Beast: Such creatures are beyond words. They roar, squeak, and scream unknown noises. Their appearance is hideous, though comical in a tragic way. They adhere to no logic, and serve nothing. Their powers have never been understood or seen in their fullest form. One thing that has been said. They are the embodiment of everything imaginable, totalling one indescribable beast.

Note: Never in recorded history has one been killed - they may be protected by some godly force!

06myraglen169.png

We can't kill the beast either. :/ Oh well, no upper hand for us this time. Reloading.

06myraglen178.png

More HP to receive, and then back to level six we go.

Oh yes, I totally forgot.

06myraglen185.png

Inside the room on level six where we fought hell hounds earlier, there's an item hidden in a feeding trough.

It's a book authored by Mendalick himself.

06myraglen186.png

It is heavy reading, but is summarized as follows:

1. Man must follow his own instincts, and shall have total power over himself at all times. Though he may allow greed, violence, or idiocy to control his actions, it is his destiny to be free.

2. I believe that all men will learn that I am right in this dream -- that to find true peace, he must trust others, never lie, and absolutely always be as responsible as he can be. This will test man. Through such an examination, man may find that he does not have to wait to receive the ultimate in gifts, Peace.

3. Organized religion seems a farce to me. It is too often filled with hypocrisy. It speaks of truth, justice, peace, happiness, tranquility, and of eternal awful agony after death for the non-believer. If I am such a person, I do not relishe the idea of suffering in the inferno. Surely, you must feel the same.

4. Man must be true, which means he must follow through on his virtues. He must:
  • A. Never Lie
    B. Be Compassionate
    C. Never Steal
    D. Respect Property
    E. Protect Kin And Protect Friends
    F. Right All Wrongs He Has Committed if Possible
    H [sic!]. Attempt To Be Successful In All He Does
    I. Be Persistant
    J. Aid Those Who Need His Help, Provided It Will Not Bring Harm Upon Him
    K. View Others By Their Actions, Not By Their Appearance
    L. Be Proud Of His Beliefs And Speak Them Aloud When Requested
tl;dr Chaotic Good character detected

06myraglen224.png

Onwards, to level seven!

Erebus

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Note that the loud, i.e., evil, voice exclaims it rewards us with a gift. The gift is located inside that chest. Since the voice is evil, we should just disregard the chest and the "gift".

That's pretty smart. I wish more CRPGs would require you to pay attention and see through deception like that.

The importance of telling the truth and respecting property sound rather lawful to me.

Crooked Bee

Patron
torpid :love: Welcome back, where've ya been?

Erebus said:
Crooked Bee said:
Note that the loud, i.e., evil, voice exclaims it rewards us with a gift. The gift is located inside that chest. Since the voice is evil, we should just disregard the chest and the "gift".

That's pretty smart. I wish more CRPGs would require you to pay attention and see through deception like that.

Yup, and that's what makes the game really hardcore, despite the simplicity of its mechanics.

Erebus said:

The importance of telling the truth and respecting property sound rather lawful to me.

Yeah, you're right. Then again, follow-your-instincts-and-be-free and oppose-any-organized-religion both sound a bit chaotic to me.

Crooked Bee

Patron
A couple of funny tidbits from a 1987 review of Tower of Myraglen (Questbusters Vol.IV, #12):

I'm concerned about this new mentality of making adventure games nearly impossible to win. It seems that companies think the more difficult the game, the better the game. How many people lost interest in Bard's Tale II before it was finished? Come on, raise your hands!

Well, you got what you wanted, punk. I hope you're happy now.

(Right after that, however, he commends Tower of Myraglen for striking a balance there.)

Some hints: ... Don’t take the scarab in the Invincibility Room on level 6, or you’ll die. There is no way to drop it, so your game will be ruined. There’s also no warning, and I lost many hours of time.

Reviewer who doesn't pay attention detected. :P I admit that's a very nasty and treacherous puzzle, though.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Floors 7 and 8

tower_of_myraglen_level_7.png

Yup, level 7 is really small. There are, however, two crucial items we should get here, as well as an interesting new kind of enemy.

07myraglen002.png

We have no other option but to head north from the starting point.

07myraglen006.png

Lots of enemies in this room, but no one particularly tough.

07myraglen008.png

The fight only costs me ~300 HP.

There is one plot-relevant chest we must loot in the area to the right, and one in the area to the left. Let's go left first, because why not.

07myraglen011.png

The new kind of enemy I mentioned earlier are Doppelgänger, the mirror images of our hero basically, and they're pretty tough. The best tactics here is to try to avoid their blows and rush for the chest.

07myraglen014.png

The first chest contains another key. All the keys we're collecting will be required later.

07myraglen016.png

We run back to the previous screen and head right this time.

07myraglen018.png

Another damn double, and an aged music box.

Unfortunately, the enemy got me cornered here, and I lost ca. 2500 HP to the double's attacks. Still, I won't reload; I've got plenty HP, really.

07myraglen028.png

Now we must run through either room and south.

07myraglen030.png

There's a teleporter here which we should enter while avoiding the foes. It takes us to level 8.

tower_of_myraglen_level_8.png

This is an interesting floor. Earlier I said the visions in Tower of Myraglen somewhat reminded me of Dark Heart of Uukrul's visions. This area, in its turn, is basically a much simpler version of Dark Heart of Uukrul's Chaos dungeon. Which really makes me wonder if Tower of Myraglen was an influence on Uukrul...

07myraglen034.png

And here we are. I'll only make a basic run through this floor, as not all enemies and/or chests here are worth it. Some, however, definitely are.

07myraglen037.png

This is, frankly, the only shitty part of the game.

07myraglen043.png

07myraglen063.png

Any tile of the bridge can randomly have you slip and die, meaning the bridge can only be crossed by way of save-scumming and reloading. The only viable "tactics" here is to save the game every time before stepping on the next tile. The whole thing is completely random. It isn't even a puzzle, it's just "haha random death!". Annoying as hell.

07myraglen068.png

But finally we're on the other side, phew.

07myraglen071.png

The next room has moving stone blocks we must fight in order to proceed. Each of them harms us for about 400 HP before it is destroyed.

07myraglen075.png

We need the northern exit, and thankfully we don't have to destroy all the blocks.

07myraglen079.png

Most of the areas on floor 8 are the Dark Planes, which is indeed very similar to Uukrul's Chaos.

07myraglen085.png

We head all the way north until we hit the wall and then go all the way east.

07myraglen091.png

Every of the four corners of floor 8 has several coffins we can loot.

07myraglen094.png

Each coffins brings 4-5 thousand gold on average. We're going to be dirty reach once we've looted them all.

07myraglen105.png

Some of the areas have enemies and plot-relevant chests.

07myraglen107.png

This one, for example, contains a jeweled key.

07myraglen117.png

More coffins!

07myraglen129.png

And even more!

07myraglen141.png

And another jeweled key.

07myraglen147.png

And the final set of coffins.

07myraglen154.png

Hah! Look at all the gold we have. We could trade it for HP back at the brazier, but I'm too lazy to backtrack and we don't really need to.

07myraglen157.png

The area marked by a green symbol in the map pits us against a ghost and two skeletons.

07myraglen159.png

It's worth it, because the chest contains a Power Potion, which instantly grants us more than 4000 HP.

07myraglen167.png

Now we can proceed straight to the exit to level 9, since there's nothing more we really need here, only some pointless fights I'd rather avoid.

07myraglen169.png

See you on level nine!

Crooked Bee

Patron
Not even a pity post? Gee, you closeted Bethesda fanboys, you.

Meanwhile, the time has come to finish off this LP.

Floors 9 and 10 + The multiple endings

tower_of_myraglen_level_9.png

08myraglen001.png

To access level 9, and with it the final part of the game, we need all the five keys we've collected on the previous floors.

08myraglen002.png

Having them all, we are allowed to pass.

08myraglen005.png

We enter another large room, similar to the one on floor 3, but this time 3x3, not 3x4, and without deadly traps of any kind.

08myraglen007.png

08myraglen009.png

The Tower... it's alive! And it's watching me!

Now what we really need is a secret passage in the eastern wall, but let's explore around a bit first.

08myraglen010.png

The northeastern section has a door leading to a pot room.

08myraglen011.png

No, really, a pot room.

08myraglen013.png

The northern door has an iron storage behind it.

08myraglen015.png

As well as a random repair zombie.

08myraglen016.png

There's also the northwestern door.

08myraglen017.png

It leads to a room full of wooden planks.

My best guess is, from left to right, the rooms signify something like the Wooden Age, the Iron Age, and finally the Age of Clay, i.e., of Man (?). Or maybe not, whatever.

08myraglen020.png

The doors along the southern wall have a different pattern.

08myraglen021.png

The southwestern room is another pottery storage.

It probably represents the transition from the Age of Man to a Zombie Age. Hence the talk about a "transition".

08myraglen023.png

No, really, I'm not kidding. The next room in line is a Zombie room, after all.

08myraglen024.png

They probably want to eat our brain or something, so we run away.

08myraglen027.png

And yet another Zombie storage is to the southeast.

08myraglen028.png

Sorry, I should've invested more points in Hermeneutics.

08myraglen030.png

There's also a Wasp room nearby. There are some further rooms behind it that we don't need to explore, but let's save and visit them for this LP's sake nevertheless.

08myraglen033.png

Someone clearly has a severe case of megalomania.

08myraglen036.png

The coffins here aren't worth the trouble.

08myraglen040.png

So yeah, back to that secret passage I mentioned earlier.

08myraglen041.png

"Sad cretin"? Now that's rude. :(

08myraglen044.png

So... the closer we are to completing our quest, the closer is the good ol' wizard to death? :roll: Probably has something to do with us fighting his dark side, I'd assume.

We only need to go north, but let's visit the area to the east as well.

08myraglen048.png

Yeah, the temptation, sure. You know the drill.

Both the northern and the southern passages lead to rooms with moving stone blocks.

08myraglen050.png

Here's the northern room; the screenshot doesn't show it, but our hero is occupying the same tile as a stone block for some reason -- must be a glitch.

08myraglen052.png

In the southern room, the coffins most likely wouldn't compensate us for the damage we'd take from the stone blocks, so screw this. Let's go to the exit to level 10.

08myraglen055.png

And here it is. And what's that about a present? :? Have we brought one? Oh well, only one way to find that out.

tower_of_myraglen_level_10.png

Now floor 10 is no big deal, since it's totally linear.

08myraglen062.png

Good golly, I'm seeing the light.

08myraglen064.png

There are three or four areas with doors such as the above one. And with each door we enter, we continue killing the good wizard, it seems. :/

08myraglen069.png

The room after that has a dragon that would obliterate us for sure if not for the music box we're carrying. Good thing we grabbed that thing earlier.

"Beasts of power and unknown ways love art" is probably my favourite quote from this game. :)

08myraglen075.png

All right, we're almost there. Our destination lies to the south; there's nothing meaningful in the Hall of Eternum to the east, really, except for new floor tiles:

08myraglen082.png

Every one of those tiles represents an "Immortal Adventurer", whatever that might mean. We'll come across dead and frozen adventurers later, so I assume those were all our predecessors.

08myraglen084.png

Time to brave the Hall of Terminus now.

08myraglen085.png

First we must go down a corridor of flames, which is what the Ring of Fire Resistance we obtained on level four is required. I'm actually quite impressed that every unique item we find seems to have an important use later.

08myraglen089.png

Another black/white tile puzzle, identical to the previous one.

blackwhite1.gif

Beware the black ones, step on the white ones.

08myraglen115.png

Same thing continues in the Terminus Tod Chamber, full of dead adventurers. :(

08myraglen122.png

The next room has a single suspended adventurer; I wonder what's his story.

08myraglen125.png

In Terminus Assault Chamber, we're greeted by an ungodly amount of enemies.

08myraglen135.png

We're left at almost half HP once we've dealt with them.

08myraglen137.png

And the next room has Mind Warpers; luckily, this is our last fight in the game. There's no "boss fight" or anything.

08myraglen142.png

Alas, poor Mendalick. We have indeed killed him.

But are we proud?

08myraglen144.png

No, we ain't.

08myraglen146.png

08myraglen147.png

And a new passage appears, which we take.

08myraglen149.png

I can only assume the medallion we found earlier wasn't the real one, but simply another illusion.

08myraglen154.png

Looks like it's time to end the game.

08myraglen156.png

There's even something like a cutscene. We're first shown the medallion...

08myraglen164.png

...and then the wizard.

There are even multiple endings, to boot. The outcome depends on what we choose to do now that the medallion is in our possession.

1: NAIVE SUCKER ENDING

08myraglen190.png

Yes, of course, the King entrusted us with the task of getting the medallion, so it's only fair to give it to him.

08myraglen194.png

That didn't go too well, now did it? Well, it was an obviously foolish decision anyway.

lightbane said:
It would be awesome if there was an "evil" ending, in which the hero is tired of hearing the wizard's ramblings and decides to take over the world with the power of the Soul-Sucking Medallion. Sadly, I don't think that's possible.

Rejoice, dear lightbane. It is possible... to a certain extent. Which brings us to...

2: FAILED EVIL OVERLORD ENDING

08myraglen190.png

Nope, we're going to keep the medallion for ourselves this time.

08myraglen202.png

Yes, we will use it to conquer the world!

08myraglen207.png

Bummer. :( I guess we should've acquired the Medallion of Invincibility as well, while we were at it.

We can also do it the stupid way.

3: STUPID GOOD ENDING

08myraglen190.png

Nope, because the king is evil.

08myraglen202.png

Nope, because we are good.

08myraglen174.png

Nope, because we are stupid.

08myraglen211.png

Well, we had it coming.

Let's do it the proper heroic way now.

4: HEROIC GOOD ENDING

08myraglen190.png

No, the king is too evil for that.

08myraglen202.png

No, we're too good for that.

08myraglen174.png

Yes, because he's evil and we're good.

08myraglen176.png

Bye bye, Arch Evil Sir PunDragon! We hardly knew ye.

And hey, we have won the Tower of Myraglen. :salute:

08myraglen185.png

The wizard is watching you... scum.

You can also watch the good ending in video; scroll to the second part to listen to the ending music, at least:

Let's watch -- Tower of Myraglen, Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUIncV50UWU

End of the line.

Erebus

Arcane
Thanks for the LP, Bee, it was quite interesting.

But even if the "good king" was actually evil, what about the "vast armies of evil" mentioned at the beginning of the game ? Were they completely imaginary ? The introduction really gave the impression that the situation was desperate.

Crooked Bee

Patron
The armies of evil must be the King's minions, I guess, i.e., his creations -- the "virtual unending forces" mentioned in the stupid ending:

08myraglen211.png

spekkio

Arcane
Jeez - games were so short in the past.

:decline:

Thank god that's not the case now, with every new game being a 1st part of an EPIC trilogy (at least).

Erebus

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
The armies of evil must be the King's minions, I guess, i.e., his creations -- the "virtual unending forces" mentioned in the stupid ending:

I suppose it could be the case, though you have to wonder why the king wanted the medallion so much if he already had huge fucking armies.

Oh well, that plot was mainly in the background anyway.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Erebus said:
Crooked Bee said:

I suppose it could be the case, though you have to wonder why the king wanted the medallion so much if he already had huge fucking armies.

To eliminate the threat that someone else might accidentally obtain it one day and use it against him maybe? The medallion is supposed to be the only thing in the whole wide world that could stop the king, after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom