Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's with all these new boards?

sheek

Arbiter
I'm not making any demands, if I see a thread where the new boards are brought up in the title I assume they want to discuss whether it's a good idea or not - do you expect me not to give my opinion? The admins will do what they want to do, they always have.

Fez

Erudite
I think you are taking this too much to heart, DU. That was something you always said VD was guilty of too often. Deep relaxing breaths, everyone. The sky is still firmly fixed above us. Keep the complaints and opinions flowing and everyone can discuss, reject, accept and generally pick over ideas. Just don't get wound up.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
At first i was, ok, this is an interesting thread about how these forums go about and what could/should be (un)changed.
But after a while i lol'd.
Ironicly, DU cotributed to this dramaticly.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jasede said:
And I heard Seinfeld is terrible; I never watched it. I always watched Married With Children.
Seinfeld was comedy gold. I disliked it when the monologue disappeared though, and I've always been pretty sure it was Pro7 editing the show. That's like, totally off topic. Who the fuck brought up Seinfeld?

Edward_R_Murrow said:
1. The Codex needs an active administrator, with the emphasis on active. At least showing up every other day and making their presence known would be sufficient for this, but being able to post, discuss, and write some articles would be quite nice as well. I sure wish we had someone like this around.....
Oh, snap! :lol:

Gnidrologist said:
Ironicly, DU cotributed to this dramaticly.
It's sorta like the end of Diablo, isn't it?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Curious to know, you really think Warden's thread is that bad?
Well, let's see... Warden thinks that rpg means role-playing the main character, then he says that you can't role-play someone really, then he says that lawful good means this person isn't allowed to do "bad things", and his conclusion is that the notion of role-playing is idiotic. Yes, DU, I think it's that bad. I think that stupid shit like that should be deleted instantly.

Actually, isn't insulting retards "what we're supposed to do"? I mean, the good ol' glory days when morons like that would be chewed up and spat out. Aren't we allowed to do that anymore?
Well, in the good ol' days Andhaira wouldn't last a day, would he?

I agree. Forums that have Let's Play threads are such unintelligent, backwater places.
Sick burn, DU. I'm bleeding inside as we speak. Well, first, the IT forums are forums of an unreleased indie game. Not sure where the expectations are coming from as it's the most backwaterest of all backwater places. We do have a few decent discussions going, but I doubt that any time soon people start referring to our forums as the place to have intelligent discussions about RPGs. You know, like they talked about the Codex in the past.

Second, our let's play thread is different. It's a let's play thread of a game in development. It shows gameplay elements to people and generate feedback and suggestions, which, quite obviously, isn't the case with the FF7 thread, for example.

Here's the thing, I don't. I've been around enough forums to know that it's the retards who start most of the discussion. Funny I know, but true.
Saying that it's true doesn't make it so. Active posters start most threads. If active posters are mostly retards, then you are right. If they aren't, then you are wrong. Simple as that.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Might be a stupid thought, but have you guys considered hiding the less... highbrow forums from the unregistered entirely? If lurkers can't see the lulz, they won't be tempted to join in, right?

oldschool

Scholar
Wolfenstein1942 said:
Lord Rocket said:
If lurkers can't see the lulz, they won't be tempted to join in, right?

So the lurkers are the problem now? Damn it.

I knew this would end up being my fault, somehow.

If y'all want an objective opinion from a noob (and why wouldn't you), someone reccommended me this site as a place to discuss RPG design, which I like to tinker around with. I pretty much assumed he was having a laugh at my expense after lurking the general RPG forum.

I like the new design forum, as that is what I'm interested in. Frankly, I can get better lulz and furry pics elsewhere (although the one chic with the thing was pretty hawt).

cardtrick

Arbiter
oldschool said:
If y'all want an objective opinion from a noob (and why wouldn't you), someone reccommended me this site as a place to discuss RPG design, which I like to tinker around with. I pretty much assumed he was having a laugh at my expense after lurking the general RPG forum.

I like the new design forum, as that is what I'm interested in. Frankly, I can get better lulz and furry pics elsewhere (although the one chic with the thing was pretty hawt).

The Codex is a good place to read old discussions about RPG design. If you want to discuss design, you may have better luck here for the time being.

Andhaira

Arcane
I thinkpeople are taking things way to seriously. People don't come to codex to have a serious, thoughtprovoking philosophical discussion on how to save the world and all our souls.

People come to codex to chill, talk about games, get advice about games, vent some steam, read up on warden's latest posts, etc.

IMO while changes are being made I think my suggestion of Codex = KodeX should be looked at again.

vrok

Liturgist
Andhaira just makes too many lame threads, that's it really.

When he posts his regular dumb shit in other threads he gets properly burned and even got himself tagged, but his spam threads that read something like: "Masturbation: Why did you like it?", "Which celebrity would you want to have your babies?" and "Virtually Jenna 2: How to take screenshots" is just a moderator issue. Andhaira is a special person however, and special people require special treatment.

Warden's disproportionate hate and endless ignorance always brings a smile to my face though.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Did you guys know drama is not conductive of productivity?

Also, gemeral is gone. I am the saddest.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Vault Dweller said:
Second, our let's play thread is different. It's a let's play thread of a game in development. It shows gameplay elements to people and generate feedback and suggestions, which, quite obviously, isn't the case with the FF7 thread, for example.
HOOOOOW DAAAARE YOOOOOU?!!

I would argue with this but I must say that you do have a point since I'm not planning do make any remake of FF7 or patches that improve it. I'm just writing a thread showing people how the game works and how to get through it. Along with some damn witty commentary, am I right?! And that's what LPs are for, man. If people want to discuss intelligent things in the thread as well, such as why the robot scorpions are painted red, that's cool, fine and dandy and I'll jump right in if I feel I can contribute to what the braintrust's yapping on about. Otherwise, it's not for me. I'm not clever like that. You won't see me debating RPG design. I'm not into it. I leave that for professionals and wait my time until said professionals ends up suggesting rocket launchers, and that's when I go on a cocaine-induced vacation. I'm just playing a game for the internet and showing people how stupid it can get and, before you say it, how stupid I can get in the process.

Your LP, on the other hand - let's point fingers - is not an LP. It's a developers diary-kinda thing where you let people get a sneak preview of the game and have them influence it. You're not playing the game. You're playing what the game is eventually going to end up like if you're lucky. And it's gonna change all the time, if I understand you correctly. It's a cleverly disguised thread to attract those who don't like developer's diaries asking for suggestions. So instead, you have an attractive thread where you let them play the unfinished game with you. And if they think a particular scene need more rocket launchers or skill checks, then you write it down and think about it.

Now, I'm not saying your LP isn't good. 'Cause it is, even with its disgusting lack of pictures - how the younger members of your board will ever cope with that, I cannot even begin to bother understanding. But why did you feel you needed to make it into an LP? If your forum is the nice and dandy heaven, then why didn't you just name the thread "Suggestion thread"? Surely your people would have taken the hint? But no, it doesn't have a nice ring to it. And that's where I get off.

A lot.

PS. It's cool to know you read my thread, VD! Keep it up. :cool:

PS2. Why can't we all just get along?

Seriously, why not? These fucking threads about the end of the codex and how bad it is are pissing me off and I don't even know exactly why they're pissing me off.

Andhaira

Arcane
vrok said:
Andhaira just makes too many lame threads, that's it really.

When he posts his regular dumb shit in other threads he gets properly burned and even got himself tagged, but his spam threads that read something like: "Masturbation: Why did you like it?", "Which celebrity would you want to have your babies?" and "Virtually Jenna 2: How to take screenshots" is just a moderator issue. Andhaira is a special person however, and special people require special treatment.

Stop trying to jump onto an imaginary bandwagon. Most of my threads discuss valid points of many crpg's/and or the genre in geenral. If we are not heree to discuss rpg's, what the fuck are we here for then?

Amasius

Augur
Hey Locue, no need to defend your LP. Maybe not everybody enjoys it but many do and while it's not "sirius" or thought provoking it certainly is entertaining. Not every thread can be about RPG design, just keep it up.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Locue said:
Vault Dweller said:
I'm just writing a thread showing people how the game works and how to get through it.
Oh please. Like someone needs help playing it. You are making it because it's good lulz.

But why did you feel you needed to make it into an LP? If your forum is the nice and dandy heaven, then why didn't you just name the thread "Suggestion thread"?
Because it *is* a let's play thread. I don't show some aspects like combat or items descriptions, I actually play the game step-by-step, allowing people decide what to do next and how. Since the game is still in development, it makes sense to stop and listen to suggestions.

I'm a big fan, actually. I usually start my work day by looking at the latest adventures of Cloud and the gang. Seriously. Best LP thread ever.

Seriously, why not? These fucking threads about the end of the codex and how bad it is are pissing me off and I don't even know exactly why they're pissing me off.
Let us know when you figure it out.

vrok

Liturgist
Andhaira said:
Stop trying to jump onto an imaginary bandwagon. Most of my threads discuss valid points of many crpg's/and or the genre in geenral. If we are not heree to discuss rpg's, what the fuck are we here for then?
The bandwagon defense, pathetic. You know the posts in pretty much every thread of yours that says "I knew this thread was made by Andhaira before I clicked it"? That's not a compliment and yes, you're that predictable. Many people, apparently, are tired of it.

How to take screenshots in World of Xeen is not discussing valid points, and neither is "Which crpg sequels ruined their respective series?" and "Would you purchase a single player World of Warcraft crpg?". All you're doing is blurting out stupid fucking questions like "What's your shoesize?" and "Do you like pie?" with a cRPG theme and look at the aftermath. It's pretty fucking far from the "HP-less combat" and "tragedy in rpgs" threads. And since when does valid mean intelligent? Discussing LARPing techniques in Oblivion is certainly valid, yet we treat it like lulz. Why do you think that is?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Amasius said:
Hey Locue, no need to defend your LP. Maybe not everybody enjoys it but many do and while it's not "sirius" or thought provoking it certainly is entertaining. Not every thread can be about RPG design, just keep it up.
I'm not defending it, because it's not really an LP that needs defending. I'm just saying that every LP doesn't have to be so #¤"!! intelligent and shit! :wink:

Vault Dweller said:
Locue said:
Vault Dweller said:
I'm just writing a thread showing people how the game works and how to get through it.
Oh please. Like someone needs help playing it. You are making it because it's good lulz.
First, I dislike the word lulz. Second, of course I'm doing it for Internet cred. Jesus, VD, my man! I'll be the first... well... second to admit it. Of course my LPs are just vessels to contain my witty commentary!

I mean, aren't we all gunning for some Internet cred? You might think you're the original Bethesda-hater, VD, but I know that you ripped someone off and jumped on the bandwagon for some easy cred! :wink:

Still, it's an LP-thread and I'ts a huge game to get through and get yourself stuck in and lots of stuff to miss out on. I guess it's a walkthrough. Only, y'know, good.

But why did you feel you needed to make it into an LP? If your forum is the nice and dandy heaven, then why didn't you just name the thread "Suggestion thread"?
Because it *is* a let's play thread. I don't show some aspects like combat or items descriptions, I actually play the game step-by-step, allowing people decide what to do next and how. Since the game is still in development, it makes sense to stop and listen to suggestions.
Meh. Interactive fiction. :roll:

:wink:

I'm a big fan, actually. I usually start my work day by looking at the latest adventures of Cloud and the gang. Seriously. Best LP thread ever.
No, you don't, snugglecakes. No one starts their day like that. At least take a shower first. :D

Let us know when you figure it out.
OH, I WILL!! :evil:

Look, I don't actually know. To me, it's a lot of crap. A bunch of people, or just two guys, I dunno, trying to piss in each others mouths because of some sort of lame ass rivalry or something. Something isn't moving in the direction the other guy want it to move. I don't know. I don't even know if I even care, or if I should care. But I'm posting on the codex so I feel like I'm supposed to be a part of the pissing contest but I have a shy bladder, y'know? Help me out here, man.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
then he says that lawful good means this person isn't allowed to do "bad things",

I never really liked the concrete alignment system of D&D personally because sometimes good people do bad things and vice versa. If "lawful good" never does bad things, then how come paladins can fall? Sure, there's the breaking an oath thing, but it's easier to fall by just being bad one too many times.

I'm also sure a chaotic evil person can do good things as well depending on his motivation. There's countless stories across all settings where the bad guy has some attachment to something or someone that makes them do the right thing once in a while. For example, the gangster drug kingpin who has a kid he wants a better life for.

Yes, DU, I think it's that bad. I think that stupid shit like that should be deleted instantly.

I think stupid shit like that should be put on display as a testament of how NOT to think. Sure, you might not convince that guy he's completely wrong or one fork and power outlet away from being a Darwin Award, but other people will look at it and think, "Wow. It's amazing his brain can handle typing and breathing at the same time!"

Well, in the good ol' days Andhaira wouldn't last a day, would he?

Volourn?

Andhaira

Arcane
vrok said:
Andhaira said:
The bandwagon defense, pathetic. You know the posts in pretty much every thread of yours that says "I knew this thread was made by Andhaira before I clicked it"? That's not a compliment and yes, you're that predictable. Many people, apparently, are tired of it.

How to take screenshots in World of Xeen is not discussing valid points, and neither is "Which crpg sequels ruined their respective series?" and "Would you purchase a single player World of Warcraft crpg?". All you're doing is blurting out stupid fucking questions like "What's your shoesize?" and "Do you like pie?" with a cRPG theme and look at the aftermath. It's pretty fucking far from the "HP-less combat" and "tragedy in rpgs" threads. And since when does valid mean intelligent? Discussing LARPing techniques in Oblivion is certainly valid, yet we treat it like lulz. Why do you think that is?

HP-Less combat and tragedy in rpg's can be viewed, from your skewed perspective as pie-less combat and pies in rpg's as well.

If you actually read the threads I made they resulted in productive discussions. Sure there was retardedness as well, but this is the internet where motherfuckers like you hang out in order to garner attention. :)

Lastly if you don't like partiocular threds, such as mine, do not read them. After its like your said, you can tell which threds are mine before clicking on them, so don't click on them. Use the fucking ignore button, thats what its there for.

Stupid cocksucker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom