Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Newest faggotry from Japan (WizardryPS3 screens)

SkeleTony

Augur
DamnedRegistrations said:
SkeleTony said:
What I don't get about Japanese artwork is the fact that, apparently if any jap guy draws in a remotely different style...say he does not make the eyes huge or the mouths small or the hair spiky, he is sent somewhere and killed for betraying the motherland.

In America, while we have our share of copycat art, there are STILL TONS of artists with wildly different styles of drawing things. McFarlane does not draw like Disney. Bisley does not draw like Don Bluth. Vigil does not draw like anyone!

But in Japan the artists are like robot-clones of one another...

They aren't quite that bad. It just that the most common stuff is all the same. You have to remember that manga and anime is their equivalent of cheap comics (fuckers can't even be assed to color them) and saturday morning cartoons. And it's not like every series is done by a different studio. This is like bitching about all western animation looking like disney or hana-barbara or captain planet. We can just think of more exceptions in western stuff because we've seen it all. Even then we still have some pretty hardcore tropes in our stuff. How often do you see a male hero that doesn't have a chest that belongs on a gorilla or a chick without D+ tits?

This: http://view.thespectrum.net/series/naru ... r-461.html
and this: http://view.thespectrum.net/series/gant ... +03&page=7
are about as close as Flintstones and Batman.

Yeah that sounds plausible. My only contention with the above being that big tits and muscles on men are not so much a stylistic identity. ALL males tend to draw big muscles/chests and boobs for obvious biological/psychological reasons.

It is the big eyes/small mouth thing that is getting me. Even if you look only at Disney and Hanna-Barbera we don't seem to see that type of uniformity in HOW features are drawn. But I could be wrong on this point as you said above. Maybe if I lived in Japan for a while I would have a different perspective.

Azarkon

Arcane
Meh, popular shit is popular.

There are many different styles of manga, manhua, manwha, and whatever the hell else Asians call comics. But it's undeniable that the anime style we've all come to hate is the Bioware of the azn drawing world. Still, there is plenty of variety if you look:

07.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

01.jpg

12-13.jpg

Mackerel

Augur
I just looked up the origins of the big eye thing, as I was curious as to what would make a person draw that way, and it turns out the first guy to start doing it was inspired by Betty Boop. So we should blame America for spawning the horrors of the the big eye, small mouth style.

Anime prototype:
304px-betty_boop_patent_fig1.jpg

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
mondblut said:
theverybigslayer said:
The problem is, the japs (aside the gay anime) are making really accurate Wizardry1 clones.

Problem is, being a Wizardry 1 clone is not something to be proud of since, like, 1985.

We love Wizardry for Dark Savant trilogy, with its vast numbercrunching, rich background and lore, innovative features like competing NPC parties or text input conversations. Wizardry 5 and before are about as valuable for a 1990+ gamer as Akallabeth for a classic Ultima fan. Yet, japs seems to be ever stuck in Proving Grounds of Mad Overlord and keep remaking it with bigger resolutions and new batches of animefag sprites.

I'd take Demise over any of these, as far as barebone dungeon crawling is concerned.

I will admit that Demise is an awesome crawl through sheer quantity alone. However, what you fail to realise because you are ignorant is that the JRPG Wizardry for PS2 was actually quite magnificent, and had better combat than Demise and Wizardry 8 combined. This was due to a system of party-based tactics that added a completely new element of strategy to the mix. Also, the overall story/ writing was rather good for this type of game, regardless of continental origin. So, in other words, at least in this instance, an old school game was modernized with a fresh coat of paint and came out pretty good. For a console based dungeon crawl, Atlus did about as good a job as anyone could reasonably hope for.

mondblut

Arcane
LeStryfe79 said:
However, what you fail to realise because you are ignorant is that the JRPG Wizardry for PS2 was actually quite magnificent, and had better combat than Demise and Wizardry 8 combined. This was due to a system of party-based tactics that added a completely new element of strategy to the mix. Also, the overall story/ writing was rather good for this type of game, regardless of continental origin.

Then it's not a Wizardry 1 clone, amirite?

So, in other words, at least in this instance, an old school game was modernized with a fresh coat of paint and came out pretty good. For a console based dungeon crawl, Atlus did about as good a job as anyone could reasonably hope for.

PC port or it didn't happen :lol:

LeStryfe79 said:
However, what you fail to realise because you are ignorant is that the JRPG Wizardry for PS2 was actually quite magnificent, and had better combat than Demise and Wizardry 8 combined.

So? Most japanese games are good, you know, games. It's the setting, art style, characters and plot that utterly fucking ruin everything.

No one would play Fallout if you were red-eyed, green-haired, hydrocephalic monstrosity in school uniform and the quest was about finding a box of chocolades before valentine's day.

Inziladun said:
Now you got me all curious. What's the story behind the second one?

That creepy pedo guy a part of her imagination? And why would she sleep on a sidewalk?

These are questions I need answered!!

<s>She met a clone of sorts living her life in her place, so she's wondering what to do, and ended up sleeping on a bench. Nice hobo guy comes to help her, she gets scared because society...</s> It's Gantz, just say "lol randum" and everything will be alright

gantzv.jpg

BlaineMono

Liturgist
You are so smart Garfunkel.

Also, so skilled in the image-posting arcana.

We should probably worship you.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wish they would release these Jap. new Wizardries in Europe or the US. I hate reading kanji and those games are something I wouldd like to dig my teeth into. I mean, look at that screenshot, the coins and the fonts are gorgeous. That wall texture too.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Emotional Vampire said:
LeStryfe79 said:
However, what you fail to realise because you are ignorant is that the JRPG Wizardry for PS2 was actually quite magnificent, and had better combat than Demise and Wizardry 8 combined.

So? Most japanese games are good, you know, games. It's the setting, art style, characters and plot that utterly fucking ruin everything.

No one would play Fallout if you were red-eyed, green-haired, hydrocephalic monstrosity in school uniform and the quest was about finding a box of chocolades before valentine's day.

That particular Wizardry only had about a 10% anime influence, really, and the creature models were awesome. Besides, these games are targeted at Japanese gamers who like anime styles. It would be stupid of them to target the U.S. with a dungeon crawl, since Americans by in large don't like them.

Zeus

Cipher
LeStryfe79 said:
That particular Wizardry only had about a 10% anime influence, really, and the creature models were awesome. Besides, these games are targeted at Japanese gamers who like anime styles. It would be stupid of them to target the U.S. with a dungeon crawl, since Americans by in large don't like them.

No way man, they should have targeted the lucrative "Americans who import Japanese games but don't like anime" market.

Stereotypical Villain said:
That last one caused my right eye to pop out of its socket.

He makes normal looking people, only these are the "npc's" walking around the streets unnoticed, the important characters (and the pirates on the last pic, maybe because they're former captains) all look wack. You kinda stop caring after the initial :shock: though, mostly because it's cartoonish

La France de Souche bande de sale métèques
Zeus said:
No way man, they should have targeted the lucrative "Americans who import Japanese games but don't like anime" market.

The only nip game I would import in 2009 would be Demon's Souls, all the other Square-Enix, Tri-Ace, Namco Bandai etc... RPG's are just shit animu chink grindfests.

Anyway, Wizardry is a great example how the nips copies stuff to turn them unto semi-erotic games for virgin japs, where you are to play as a scrawny looking blue/green haired hero fighting big boobed drawn succubuses.

Azarkon said:
Still, there is plenty of variety if you look:

07.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

01.jpg

12-13.jpg

No variety, dey are rook arike!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
playing etrian odyssey again and it's awesome

also don't mix aspirin and joose my nose still bleeds

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom